Bitter clinger shoots TV after Bristol Palin performance

posted at 2:36 pm on November 17, 2010 by Cubachi

According to Wisconsin authorities, Steven Cowan, a 67-year-old man originally from Vermont, shot his television set after watching Bristol Palin perform on “Dancing with the Stars.” The police were contacted and it led to a 15-hour standoff until Cowan finally was convinced to come out of the house.

Is this what it comes down to? BDS (Bristol Derangement Syndrome)?

I never seen such a level of attack on this young woman for appearing on a dancing show. This certainly dispels the notion that conservatives are “bitter clingers to their guns.”

Cowan was charged second-degree reckless endangerment and could be sentenced to up to 10 years in prison if convicted. Authorities say he has bipolar disorder.

He may have a mental illness, but the man was drunk according to his wife. Though she doesn’t attribute it to this outburst. So is this a case of an angry liberal?

According to the Smoking Gun the complaint reads:

Cowan “jumped up and swore, saying something to the effect of “the  —-ing politics.”The complaint added,  ”Steven was upset that a political figure’s daughter was dancing on this particular show when Steven did not think she was a good dancer.”

Cross-posted at www.cubachi.com

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

LOL, Priceless.

Norwegian on November 17, 2010 at 2:38 PM

The poor TV. They always shoot the messenger, don’t they?

John the Libertarian on November 17, 2010 at 2:39 PM

She probably shouldn’t win the whole thing, but if she does, the Left’s histrionics will be awesomely epic!

TC@LeatherPenguin on November 17, 2010 at 2:40 PM

Who is CUBACHI?

dczombie on November 17, 2010 at 2:41 PM

I have never watched this show, but seeing how Bristol Palin’s participation is causing the left to meltdown completely, I think I’ll watch next week and vote for Bristol.

halfastro on November 17, 2010 at 2:41 PM

“Mental illness” and “angry liberal” are synonymous.

Norwegian on November 17, 2010 at 2:41 PM

What?
Vermont wasn’t liberal enough for Stevie so he had to move to WI? /

OkieDoc on November 17, 2010 at 2:41 PM

The poor TV. They always shoot the messenger, don’t they?

John the Libertarian on November 17, 2010 at 2:39 PM

Yes!..These type folks need to be in a mental institution where they can’t hurt anybody!..:)

Dire Straits on November 17, 2010 at 2:42 PM

The Onion just cant keep up.

They’re getting outmoroned by reality.

the_nile on November 17, 2010 at 2:43 PM

Who is CUBACHI?

dczombie on November 17, 2010 at 2:41 PM

It is a little Japanese barbecue cooker, in a cube shape.

Vashta.Nerada on November 17, 2010 at 2:43 PM

This guy’s an idiot.

Brat4life on November 17, 2010 at 2:43 PM

Why is all the hate, anger, and gun shooting on the liberal side? It’s ruining our reputation…

right2bright on November 17, 2010 at 2:43 PM

The development of the Television has been the cause of more destruction than the development of the atomic bomb.

rickyricardo on November 17, 2010 at 2:44 PM

Why didn’t he shoot the TV when Dick Armey was dancing?

Steve Z on November 17, 2010 at 2:44 PM

Ah, Vermont…the other, smaller Wisconsin.

Asher on November 17, 2010 at 2:44 PM

I didn’t think liberals were allowed to posses guns or sharp objects, and they had to wear fingerless mittens to keep from hurting themselves and others

Kini on November 17, 2010 at 2:44 PM

The cliff is just that close.

tarpon on November 17, 2010 at 2:44 PM

Who is CUBACHI?

dczombie on November 17, 2010 at 2:41 PM

Allah’s funny twin?

upinak on November 17, 2010 at 2:44 PM

dczombie on November 17, 2010 at 2:41 PM

I found this.

John the Libertarian on November 17, 2010 at 2:45 PM

Rush put this very well today in that liberals are now feeling the pain of affirmative action themselves. I don’t watch this DWTS crap, but apparently the other gal (Brandy?) is a hands down better dancer but few are voting for her. So, the less talented BP is getting to the top and the left is caterwauling over her “qualifications.”

Now the left knows how we feel regarding Barack Obama in the White House. Welcome to our world.

ted c on November 17, 2010 at 2:45 PM

How’s he supposed to watch MSNBC now?

TampaBayBull on November 17, 2010 at 2:45 PM

Considering how much TV sucks, I don’t see why we shouldn’t have the liberty to shoot as many televisions as we wish.

MadisonConservative on November 17, 2010 at 2:45 PM

Who is CUBACHI?

dczombie on November 17, 2010 at 2:41 PM

This girl at the corner, who, for $20 will…wait…n/m.

lorien1973 on November 17, 2010 at 2:45 PM

So what would happen if her mom won? Nuclear War?

darclon on November 17, 2010 at 2:46 PM

A Paulbot strikes.

unclesmrgol on November 17, 2010 at 2:46 PM

Bristol Palin is the biggest star now on the show. Were it not for her being there it would have MSNBC numbers.

Marcus on November 17, 2010 at 2:46 PM

Senator-elect Ron Johnson probably needs a new bodyguard.

Steve Z on November 17, 2010 at 2:46 PM

She’s been on the show since September and he’s just now noticing???

thirdtart on November 17, 2010 at 2:47 PM

Who is CUBACHI?

Cubachi is a great Conservative blogger.
Follow her on twitter you won’t regret it. @Cubachi

Sheya on November 17, 2010 at 2:47 PM

And MSNBC’s ratings go down by 20%

Ronnie on November 17, 2010 at 2:48 PM

If you guys really want your kicks. Check out the comments on Entertainment Weekly.

A lot of “Those dumb teabaggers ruin politics and NOW DWTS??? That’s it, I’m never watching this show again” *thumb sucking commences*

What’s hilarious is they actually believe there is a conspiracy to keep Bristol on the show! Seriously! They think we send e-mail and phone calls in an effort to make sure everyone votes for Bristol…how shallow do they think we are???

Cookies Mom on November 17, 2010 at 2:48 PM

Imagine if Sarah Palin wins the Presidency. Unfortunately I have a bad feeling that it won’t be TVs on the receiving end of those bullets.

Doughboy on November 17, 2010 at 2:48 PM

Elvis shot a television once. (pauses for dramatic effect). Once.

joejm65 on November 17, 2010 at 2:48 PM

The poor TV. They always shoot the messenger, don’t they?

John the Libertarian on November 17, 2010 at 2:39 PM

Maybe he wanted to see it on High Def 3D?

upinak on November 17, 2010 at 2:49 PM

Congrats cubachi!!!

alwaysfiredup on November 17, 2010 at 2:49 PM

I’ve never watched the show — except clips on The Soup. But I may have to watch the finale, in the hope Bristol wins.

rbj on November 17, 2010 at 2:50 PM

OT: BOTOX NANCY elected as House Minority Leader

ted c on November 17, 2010 at 2:51 PM

Yikes. If he thought Bristol sucked so bad he shot the TV, I wonder what he did when he saw The Situation…

crr6 on November 17, 2010 at 2:51 PM

ted c on November 17, 2010 at 2:45 PM

I don’t think it has to do with “affirmative action” so to speak. It has more to do with Bristol epitomizing what this show is supposed to be about. Someone with zero talent turning themselves into a dancer. That is what Bristol has done. People find her very rootable on her own.

I also find it funny that the website that people keep quoting at “rigging” the voting is HillBuzz – a liberal site LOL!

gophergirl on November 17, 2010 at 2:52 PM

It’s time to start arming televisions.

reaganaut on November 17, 2010 at 2:52 PM

Didn’t Bristol get the same scores as Brandy in the latest round?

LurkerDood on November 17, 2010 at 2:52 PM

Isn’t watching Dancing With the Stars a sign of mental illness?

NotCoach on November 17, 2010 at 2:52 PM

These Palin’s are nuts. This guy who shot his TV is rational.

Chudi on November 17, 2010 at 2:52 PM

portlandon on November 17, 2010 at 2:53 PM

crr6 on November 17, 2010 at 2:51 PM

You tell us , it’s your team.

the_nile on November 17, 2010 at 2:53 PM

This liberal leftist is NOW concerned about the politics of voter fraud from a DANCE SHOW?

Not the leftists having dead people voting for Democrats?

I don’t condone people using the word LEFTARD…. but I understand it.

Well done Cubachi, keep up the good topics!

originalpechanga on November 17, 2010 at 2:53 PM

Who is Cubachi?

A very intelligent conservative blogger who won’t make a flaming a$$hat out of herself when Bristol gets bounced next week in the finals by writing in her concluding line:

“Bristol Palin is gone. You know who this benefits? Mitt Romney!”

Or of course, the all time classic Allahpunditism: “Bristol Palin comes in Third in DWTS Finals: Second Look at Huckabee?”

Cubachi will never write that.

But Allahpundit will.

victor82 on November 17, 2010 at 2:53 PM

I think I’ll watch next week and vote for Bristol.

halfastro on November 17, 2010 at 2:41 PM

Someone tell me how to vote for her, and I’ll just skip the show.

MadisonConservative on November 17, 2010 at 2:45 PM

This is the USA. You’d think shooting your own TV in your own home would be a protected right. I wonder if they can really prove “reckless endangerment”. He hit the TV he was shooting for, didn’t he?

taznar on November 17, 2010 at 2:54 PM

This is such sickening hypocrisy. If one of the Obama daughters had been on this show instead, there would be widespread praise, adulation, overflowing media appearances, articles calling her the next princess diana, and eventually veiled accusations of racism if/when she was voted off.

I dislike the media immensely. Anything that brings their bias and disgusting behavior to light is worth pursuing. I am voting for Bristol to win, even though i could care less for this show. Let the media make a bigger ass of out themselves over this.

tflst5 on November 17, 2010 at 2:54 PM

Don’t mix DWTS w/ Four Loko.

BHO Jonestown on November 17, 2010 at 2:54 PM

I fear that India may nuke America if we can’t get the politics out of Dancing With The Stars.

Cicero43 on November 17, 2010 at 2:54 PM

I wonder what his DailyKos/Huffington Post handle is.

OxyCon on November 17, 2010 at 2:56 PM

She’s been on the show since September and he’s just now noticing???

thirdtart on November 17, 2010 at 2:47 PM

Thank G*D he wasn’t watching when David Hasselhoff got the boot, or both the refridgerator and the stove would have paid the ultimate price…

joejm65 on November 17, 2010 at 2:57 PM

ted c on November 17, 2010 at 2:51 PM

ugh

upinak on November 17, 2010 at 2:57 PM

ted c on November 17, 2010 at 2:45 PM

+100I’ll be saying that non-stop next Wednesday after Bristol wins….hah!!

PatriotRider on November 17, 2010 at 2:57 PM

He was just acting out an episode he saw on Miami Vice where Switek shot the tv after Phil Collins did a bit as a fraudster. “This one’s for you Elvis!”

Skandia Recluse on November 17, 2010 at 2:58 PM

“I used to think you were crazy…but now I can see your nuts!”

*rimshot*

search4truth on November 17, 2010 at 2:58 PM

I wonder what his DailyKos/Huffington Post handle is.

OxyCon on November 17, 2010 at 2:56 PM

Editor in chief?

the_nile on November 17, 2010 at 2:58 PM

Guns don’t kill appliances. People with guns kill appliances.

Cicero43 on November 17, 2010 at 2:58 PM

This is getting to the point where I have to shake my head and wonder what is the water of so many Lefties.

If Bristol wins, the streets will run red and grey from the cranial explosions of bitter clingers. If her mom ever becomes POTUS, expect the grape flavored cyanide sales to go through the roof in the collective villages of San Francisco, Los Angeles, Georgetown, some parts of Chicago, some portions of Tulsa, and much of Austin. :P

I don’t follow the show, but I know of many who do, and they tell me that Bristol’s continuing improving performances are worth the watch.

itzWicks on November 17, 2010 at 2:59 PM

The poor TV. They always shoot the messenger, don’t they?

John the Libertarian on November 17, 2010 at 2:39 PM

============================================================
It sounds like he shot the wrong thing,no guts.

docflash on November 17, 2010 at 3:00 PM

But…but…only nasty conservatives own guns…only nasty conservatives shoot things…
Seriously though, I hate these kinds of shows but I hope she wins just for the absolute insanity the left will display in response.
And I thought their nuttiness over Bush was bad.

Grayson on November 17, 2010 at 3:00 PM

Hmmmm, am I the only one disturbed by the fact that despite all of our “common sense” gun laws, a Bi-Polar man was able to purchase a handgun?

OK, I am assuming that he bought it and not his wife…..but I think that’s an adequate assumption.

Fighton03 on November 17, 2010 at 3:00 PM

nothing that any liberal prooooogreeeeesiiiiive does is surprising. They fulfill all my expectations.

ultracon on November 17, 2010 at 3:00 PM

I’m not a fan of the show, but last night my daughter was over and it came on. I was amazed that Bristol is still on and wondered why – my daughter says it’s because the TV audience is voting for her. Then I wondered if DWTS is primarily a show watched by Tea Partiers, if the ratings for this season are better than other seasons, indicating that Tea Partiers are tuning in special for Bristol, or is it that Palin is more popular with general audiences than we are led by the media to believe.

Queen0fCups on November 17, 2010 at 3:01 PM

But it’s the Right that is unhinged and crazy. The Right are the crazy ones who are violent. Isn’t that what Pelosi told us?

The Notorious G.O.P on November 17, 2010 at 3:01 PM

This week in Palinville just keeps getting better and better…

turfmann on November 17, 2010 at 3:01 PM

ugh

upinak

I have an incredible feeling of optimism about it. Like it’s a really good thing for our side, however revolting to the spirit who wishes they’d give some sign they had a clue what just happened. Just as well they don’t have one, you know?

tree hugging sister on November 17, 2010 at 3:02 PM

I remember a couple of years ago when Adam Lambert didn’t win on American Idol. There was outrage because he lost supposedly because America was so homophobic they wouldn’t vote for a “Flamer” like Adam. So a very cute regular guy who had a nice voice won over a theatrical showman. I don’t think his lifestyle had anything to do with it.

I said at that time and I will say again, the people who take the time to vote for the contestants on these shows are by and large teenage girls and their moms. Sure other people watch, but they don’t vote. They don’t care that much.

I believe that Bristol is just more appealing to that demographic than the other contestants. She seems happy, she works hard and she has a baby to support. Teen girls can seem themselves in her shoes. So they vote for her.

Lily on November 17, 2010 at 3:02 PM

Guns don’t kill appliances. People with guns kill appliances.

Cicero43 on November 17, 2010 at 2:58 PM

heh!

ted c on November 17, 2010 at 3:02 PM

These Coffee Party people are unhinged.

Coffee Baggers!

portlandon on November 17, 2010 at 3:03 PM

ted c on November 17, 2010 at 2:45 PM

yep, but if one of us shot the TV while the pedant in chief was droning we could expect felony charges, or at least a visit from the Secret Service. Some are more equal.

Fighton03 on November 17, 2010 at 3:03 PM

Is this what it comes down to? BDS (Bristol Derangement Syndrome)?

No no, it’s much bigger than BDS … it’s RTRS … Reality Television Retardation Syndrome.

Tony737 on November 17, 2010 at 3:04 PM

Guns don’t kill appliances. People with guns kill appliances.

Cicero43 on November 17, 2010 at 2:58 PM

I kill appliances. especially old and cranky PC’s. They just seem to attract 165gr lead projectiles.

Fighton03 on November 17, 2010 at 3:04 PM

The Notorious G.O.P on November 17, 2010 at 3:01 PM

Palin really bring out the h8ters.

the_nile on November 17, 2010 at 3:05 PM

Ann Coulter devotes a chapter in one of her books to the myth of conservatives/ Tea Partiers being prone to violence; in reality almost every political assassination featured a gunman who was a 1) communist, 2) socialist, 3) anti-civil right zealot, 4) muslim extremist, or 5) flaming lib. She wrote that, statistically and psychographically, Sean Hannity has 10x the chance of being shot than Obama.

VastRightWingConspirator on November 17, 2010 at 3:06 PM

Gun toting liberals, shooting their tv’s and having stand offs with police.

So when will Napolitano put these yahoo’s on the list with the rest of us gun clinging terrorists?

capejasmine on November 17, 2010 at 3:06 PM

Also I wonder if he signed that petition to get Olbermann back on the air.

OxyCon on November 17, 2010 at 3:07 PM

I wonder if Willow Palin can sing? Think of how many more lefty heads would explode if another Palin ended up on American Idol….

cebj25 on November 17, 2010 at 3:07 PM

Some people are very very strange.

dogsoldier on November 17, 2010 at 3:07 PM

I heard about this on the radio and originally he pointed the gun at his wife! What if Sarah had been on TV? He might have killed his old lady in a fit of misplaced rage!

I love it when things like this show the world that crazy comes in every color and political persuasion.

Go Bristol! I am voting for you girl!

SgtRed on November 17, 2010 at 3:08 PM

turfmann on November 17, 2010 at 3:01 PM

Preference cascade?

alwaysfiredup on November 17, 2010 at 3:08 PM

Fighton03 on November 17, 2010 at 3:00 PM

With your thinking.. no military members who have/had PTSD should own one either?

upinak on November 17, 2010 at 3:08 PM

tree hugging sister on November 17, 2010 at 3:02 PM

I wish I had your optimism.

upinak on November 17, 2010 at 3:09 PM

Great to see a Cubachi post.

MeatHeadinCA on November 17, 2010 at 3:10 PM

These Coffee Party people are unhinged.

Coffee Baggers!

portlandon on November 17, 2010 at 3:03 PM

No. Not Coffee Baggers… Coffee Grinders.

ConDem on November 17, 2010 at 3:12 PM

Something essentially creepy about a 67-year-old man obsessing about “Dancing with the Stars”…and about a 20-year-old.

coldwarrior on November 17, 2010 at 3:13 PM

cebj25 on November 17, 2010 at 3:07 PM

Todd Palin on Survivor?

malclave on November 17, 2010 at 3:16 PM

Years ago I lived in Denver and there was this bar there that whenever Howard Cosell was hosting a football game they let patrons throw a brick at the tv.

scalleywag on November 17, 2010 at 3:17 PM

cebj25 on November 17, 2010 at 3:07 PM

Sarah is tone deaf. I don’t know about the kids but vocal ability is usually hereditary.

alwaysfiredup on November 17, 2010 at 3:18 PM

Fighton03 on November 17, 2010 at 3:00 PM

So not-uncommon psychological problems nullify civil rights? The hell?

MadisonConservative on November 17, 2010 at 3:18 PM

Todd Palin on Survivor?

malclave on November 17, 2010 at 3:16 PM

That’s a weekend outing for Todd. He needs something more challenging.

mizflame98 on November 17, 2010 at 3:19 PM

Todd Palin on Survivor?

malclave on November 17, 2010 at 3:16 PM

I would SO watch that!!!

alwaysfiredup on November 17, 2010 at 3:19 PM

This is insane. I don’t watch the show, but is this really the first time someone’s stayed on the show despite not being the best performer? Come on.

Only reality show I’ve voted in was a Last Comic Standing one, where the girl (can’t even remember her name now) won. She wasn’t necessarily the best, but I liked her and her material the best, and I’ll admit that getting the first woman to win was a part of my decision. And? Who cares? At least in that show you were possibly making someone’s career. In this one, what exactly are the consequences? These people are already famous.

Esthier on November 17, 2010 at 3:19 PM

FYI, for those who did not see or want to see the 1st episode Sarah and family in AK on tlc, the program will air 7et tonight.
L

letget on November 17, 2010 at 3:19 PM

Elvis shot a television once. (pauses for dramatic effect). Once.

joejm65 on November 17, 2010 at 2:48 PM

Saw that in Graceland. Thought there were more; anyhoo he was on the path of self-destruction already.

Todd Palin on Survivor?

If that show had Todd on, it’d be a ratings mega-stellar booster. Hawt and with killer survival skills. Contestants would be insanely stupid alliance time.

ProudPalinFan on November 17, 2010 at 3:20 PM

Steven Cowan, a 67-year-old man originally from Vermont

This actually took place in Vermont, Wisconsin.

clancy_wiggum on November 17, 2010 at 3:21 PM

Promise me that you will continue to comment here in mid November of 2012.

Proud Rino on November 17, 2010 at 3:10 PM

So not-uncommon psychological problems nullify civil rights? The hell?

MadisonConservative on November 17, 2010 at 3:18 PM

Yeah. From Heller:

The Court’s opinion should not be taken to cast doubt on longstanding prohibitions on the possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill, or laws forbidding the carrying of firearms in sensitive places such as schools and government buildings, or laws imposing conditions and qualifications on the commercial sale of arms.

crr6 on November 17, 2010 at 3:22 PM

ProudPalinFan on November 17, 2010 at 3:20 PM

Todd Palin would be voted off early.

The people on the island wouldn’t want him on there for political and strategic reasons.

portlandon on November 17, 2010 at 3:22 PM

I never done heard tell of it neither!

Akzed on November 17, 2010 at 3:22 PM

Fighton03 on November 17, 2010 at 3:00 PM

Quite possibly. It was a shotgun.

Barnestormer on November 17, 2010 at 3:23 PM