RNC political director resigns, unloads on Michael Steele

posted at 5:51 pm on November 16, 2010 by Allahpundit

I frankly can’t believe the guy’s thinking of running again after the RNC was a near-nonentity in the biggest GOP midterm win in decades. The endless media gaffes were one thing, but they could have and would have been forgiven if he was running a tight ship otherwise. Not so, if political director Gentry Collins is to be believed:

The short version of the RNC’s 2010 troubles as described by Collins: The committee couldn’t afford to run an independent expenditure ad campaign on behalf of their candidates, didn’t fund a paid voter turnout operation for Senate and gubernatorial races, left its vaunted 72-Hour turnout program effectively unfunded, offered only a fraction of the direct-to-candidate financial contributions they made four years ago and dramatically scaled back its support of state parties…

Collins is not one of the committee’s persistent Steele critics but a respected operative and senior staffer inside the RNC building who was given authority over the $15 million line of credit the party took out this fall. In addition to the normal duties of his job, Collins spent much of the summer and fall quietly travelling the country and meeting with major donors in an effort to boost the party’s lackluster fundraising. It was a highly unusual task for a political director and, coupled with his primary job responsibilities, effectively made the Iowa native the operational head of the party.

He blames Steele specifically for the dramatic falloff among big donors, which left the RNC $75 million or so off its take in 2006. (Then again, the 2006 RNC had a Republican president in office to help rally donors.) Here’s the killer, though. Back in March, blogging yet another in the endless stream of “new internal difficulties at the RNC” stories that have leaked over the past two years, I said, “if the RNC gets caught short-handed financially in the fall and loses winnable House races because it can’t pay for ads, the wrath of conservatives will be unimaginable.” Well, here’s Collins claiming that that’s what happened — not just in terms of ads, but in terms of organization:

He makes the case that the party’s lack of money directly resulted in missed opportunities in an otherwise stellar year for the GOP.

Collins cites a study that he says found that the GOP could have won the Washington and Colorado Senate races with a better field operation and says that he’d chalk up narrow gubernatorial losses in Connecticut, Minnesota and Vermont to the same lack of funds for a ground game.

The veteran Republican operative also tallies 21 House contests in every corner of the country that he asserts “could have been competitive if not for lack of funds.”

GOP strategists like Alex Castellanos and Henry Barbour were quick today to praise Collins as a total pro, but coincidentally, WaPo’s now reporting that he himself is considering a run for RNC chair. Also coincidentally, no sooner did Collins’s letter leak than one of David Frum’s associates heard from a “senior Republican source close to the RNC” that Steele himself is reconsidering whether to run again and will decide by Thanksgiving. Whether that’s true or a rumor cooked up to serve the coordinated effort to push the guy out is unclear, but with most RNC members momentarily undecided on whom to back, the timing certainly … is fortuitous. Here’s the bottom line: Are grassroots righties happy with the way the RNC performed this year? Do you want to risk another cycle like this in 2012, when Obama and the DNC will go all out to keep the White House? I’m happy to assume that not everything blamed on Steele is in fact his fault, but surely some of it is, and the stakes are about to get as high as they can get. After all the gaffes and internal squabbling, what exactly is the argument for not changing course?

Comments

Steele has to go. The RNC is a non-factor with him.

Vegi on November 16, 2010 at 5:54 PM

Oh BOY! Thanksgiving is going to have a rumble and that ain’t a belly rumble either!

upinak on November 16, 2010 at 5:54 PM

Fred!

Darksean on November 16, 2010 at 5:57 PM

Steele should resign..The time is near!..:)

Dire Straits on November 16, 2010 at 5:57 PM

Steele plays the race card in 3, 2, 1…

rightside on November 16, 2010 at 5:58 PM

Gentry Collins is teh RINO!!!! /sarc

BuzzCrutcher on November 16, 2010 at 5:58 PM

Fred!

Darksean on November 16, 2010 at 5:57 PM

I can buy that..IF he doesn’t want to make an 2012 run..:)

Dire Straits on November 16, 2010 at 5:59 PM

Face it. You guys ‘elected’ the guy because the RNC needed a person ‘of color’… instead of looking for a person ‘of competence.’ Now… Where have I heard that before? I can’t remember, quite…

dkallen99 on November 16, 2010 at 5:59 PM

Fred!

Darksean on November 16, 2010 at 5:57 PM

I was thinking the same thing. And I emailed him about it.

upinak on November 16, 2010 at 6:01 PM

Fred!

Darksean on November 16, 2010 at 5:57 PM

^This.^

CyberCipher on November 16, 2010 at 6:02 PM

Ruh roh. This does not look good.

di butler on November 16, 2010 at 6:02 PM

Show us the money, Michael.

Wethal on November 16, 2010 at 6:06 PM

Steele has to go. NOW! The GOP made gains IN SPITE of Steele, not because of him.

GarandFan on November 16, 2010 at 6:09 PM

Fred!

Darksean on November 16, 2010

Oh hell yeah! Wonder if he would do it?

BuzzCrutcher on November 16, 2010 at 6:09 PM

Time for Michael to Steele away.

GnuBreed on November 16, 2010 at 6:10 PM

None!

Archimedes on November 16, 2010 at 6:10 PM

Sorry Michael- coordinate with the RNC and go out with a “Helped bring the GOP back to the forefront” message. Don’t fight the tide on this one.

BKeyser on November 16, 2010 at 6:12 PM

Meh. I fail to get ouragously outraged over Steele. The RNC can do worse and probably will.

Norwegian on November 16, 2010 at 6:12 PM

dkallen99 on November 16, 2010 at 5:59 PM

If Alex Castellanos becomes RNC chair, it’s not an affirmative action. He’s one of the most brutally effective political operative today who just happens to be Cuban.

Apologetic California on November 16, 2010 at 6:13 PM

I don’t think Steele has to go, but it’s a really tough job and Steele probably doesn’t realize he needs to spend time with his family after this last grueling election fight. So, there is no time like the present to give another person the opportunity consolidate the gains Steele has made and to carry the Committee and the Party into new heights in the elections of 2012. (See what I did there?)

Dusty on November 16, 2010 at 6:13 PM

Teh Fred!

Darksean on November 16, 2010 at 5:57 PM

Sorry for the edit, but I just can’t separate the two.

John the Libertarian on November 16, 2010 at 6:13 PM

Maybe Steele can help run somebody’s campaign in 2012..He just needs to leave RNC chair..:)

Dire Straits on November 16, 2010 at 6:14 PM

Centralized fund raising and top down distribution to state organizations is so 20th Century and it doesn’t work regardless of who runs the RNC

E9RET on November 16, 2010 at 6:14 PM

Steele plays the race card in 3, 2, 1…

rightside on November 16, 2010 at 5:58 PM

He’s already played it.

irishspy on November 16, 2010 at 6:14 PM

And while I am at it, IMHO, I think this is the ideal spot for Palin. She can rake in cash, Steele has’nt, she’s far less prone to gaffes, and as much as I love her, she carries too much baggage (manufactured by the Journo-listas I know, but there none the less) from ’08 to carry the Indy’s in ’12.

I am now going to retreat to my underground bunker in a non-disclosed location while the Palin4Prez comes after my scalp.

Archimedes on November 16, 2010 at 6:17 PM

Good. A new RINO-friendly RNC chairman is much needed.

2012 is another year for an Establishment Nominee. Establishment-RNC Chairman is very much needed, more than ever! Steele doesn’t fit the bill.

Who’s behind this effort, BTW? KARL ROVE!

TheAlamos on November 16, 2010 at 6:18 PM

Archimedes on November 16, 2010 at 6:17 PM

LOL!..:)

Dire Straits on November 16, 2010 at 6:19 PM

I like Michael Steele.

therightwinger on November 16, 2010 at 6:20 PM

I have no intention of giving any money to the RNC. My money goes to the candidates want to support.

katy the mean old lady on November 16, 2010 at 6:20 PM

Though I appreciate the Fire Pelosi bus tour Steele participated in right before the elections, I hope he understands that once he had gotten off that bus, it was for his last stop.

I make no apologies, Steele. Cleaning house means cleaning every nook and cranny.

madmonkphotog on November 16, 2010 at 6:22 PM

I love it. The NRSC and the NRCC, two complete and total failures extraordinaire are keeping their failed leadership and that’s cool, but everyone wants Steele to go.

I bet they do. He’s Tea party friendly, and a decent fellow.

He’s made mistakes, but he’s also been out there getting stuff done. It was Steele who organized late season rally’s around the country with high powered stars to rev up the voters.

It was Steele who went out on bus tour and helped campaign for many candidates. some winners, some losers.

As for money. Let’s face it, people have learned they can just as easily give money to candidates directly through the interwebs, and cut out the middle man, and their “handling charges.”

Past that, idiotic mistakes by Cornyn and the NRSC turned off the entire base, many who don’t see a difference between the NRSC and the RNC.

The ONLY group that did an incredible job this election cycle is the RGA. That bunch was polished and focused. Their efforts worked.

Of course, Haley Barbour has no desire to quit as Governor to run the RNC.

If there is anyone who MIGHT be worth consider, it’s Ken Blackwell. Past that, these friggin’ RINOs need to go away.

gary4205 on November 16, 2010 at 6:23 PM

Steele jumped the shark when he reflexively went after Rush Limbaugh to curry favor with the doofus (I forget which one, pick any they are interchangeable)who was interviewing him.

When you can’t tell your friends from your foes, you are probably not the best pick for a red meat conservative machine.

Pink panty waists, on the other hand….

Lonetown on November 16, 2010 at 6:23 PM

So IF Steele is replaced, all the donors who told the RNC to go pound sand will send it their money instead of donating directly to the candidates they support?

Archimedes on November 16, 2010 at 6:17 PM

Given the level of support the GOP insiders have given Palin I fail to see why she would want to be their money raiser.

katiejane on November 16, 2010 at 6:23 PM

Steele has to go. The RNC was non-existent in the most successful GOP election in decades. What is frustrating is Cronyn was worse at the NRSC. The establishment republicans have become a third party behind the Tea Party and the demonrats. Their irrelevance will increase with every election as conservatives reclaim their party and their country from the progressives and the minute number of elitests in the GOP.

volsense on November 16, 2010 at 6:26 PM

Sorry a bit long but tasty

Mr. STEELE: Well, I think that’s about the fact that they don’t want me in this job, to put it rather bluntly. That has been a concerted effort since I got the job. But I pay no never mind to that. My mission as charged to me by the 168 individuals who voted for me is to go out and win elections and raise money. I have won more elections than any chairman since 1938.

In fact, none of my predecessors have been able to put together the kind of combination of wins. And it’s because we tried to make the party more grassroots oriented – not top down, but bottom up. We developed relationships with Tea Party activists and likeminded individuals and Democrat and Independents out there to try to build a new coalition, a new governing coalition for our party.

I mean, just think about it, just two short years ago, we only had 36 black folks at the Republican National Convention. I mean, how sad is that? And I stood on that floor and watched those individuals and said to myself, never again. And so when the opportunity came as national chairman to engage our state parties, to put up a coalition effort on the ground that would not only identify, but support these candidates, to then get on a bus and go around the country and join them in their districts and campaign with them and for them, that was a commitment that was unprecedented by the party. And it’s one that we must continue into the future.

This is just the beginning. This is not your mama and your daddy’s GOP anymore. It is – it can no longer be argued that this, you know, by some of our friends on the left, that it is a largely white regional Southern male party. It is not. Because when you look what just grew out of the South, you know, with Nikki Haley and Allen West and Tim Scott, you can see that this party is changing and it’s about time. It’s long overdue

MARTIN: You know, we know that a lot of Republican members are disappointed with NPR in the wake of a personal decision that was made recently pertaining to analyst Juan Williams, who is of course now is at Fox full time, as he isn’t part time. And some GOP members have been calling to defund NPR as a consequence of that. So I did wonder if that was your recommendation as well?

Mr. STEELE: I don’t get to make those recommendations. That’s a decision by the policymakers and particularly the appropriators in the Congress. I’m not going to, you know, come on your program and dump on your bosses, but I think it was a poor judgment decision made to let Juan go. I think, particularly given some of the other excited utterances, shall we say, of some of the hosts and columnists, et cetera, at NPR.

I think, like so many things and the president coined a phrase which I think is very appropriate here is that it was a teachable moment

William Amos on November 16, 2010 at 6:30 PM

No one is pinning the lackluster fundraising to the fact these pinheads in DC keep funding RINOS???? I would be willing to bet that more than 50%+ of the funds that would have gone to the national committees in the past went directly to the candidates. Someone needs to point this out to these pinheads. I am NEVER giving a national committee a dime ever again.

karenhasfreedom on November 16, 2010 at 6:34 PM

Bullstuff. It’s easier to raise money when your party is out of power, because the base really wants to throw the bums out. Steele just did his best to piss off the base, hence no money to the RNC.

rmgraha on November 16, 2010 at 6:34 PM

Steele plays the race card in 3, 2, 1…

rightside on November 16, 2010 at 5:58 PM

He’s already played it.

irishspy on November 16, 2010 at 6:14 PM

Michael Steele’s Greatest Hits Album.

1. They hate me because I’m black.
2. I’m only Skin Deep.
3. It’s a Black Thing. You Wouldn’t Understand.
4. Why you Hatin’ on me (Radio Version)
5. Why you Hatin’ on me (Unedited Version)
6. Wat up, Cleveland?
7. It’s Hard being this Good.
8. G.O.P.- It’s You, Not Me. (Bondage Rave Remix)

portlandon on November 16, 2010 at 6:36 PM

Change course! Isn’t that what Boehner said we’re doing:)

Buy Danish on November 16, 2010 at 6:37 PM

Was that because of Steele or the because the establishment GOP is so out of favor with the base. A lot of the drop off started when the NRSC backed christ over Rubio. and the establishment did nothing to help that image over the course of the elecitons. In fact it was not until Steele reached out to Gov Palin that fundraising picked up then you also had Rove siphoning the big donors away form the Gop and funding his org. So I ask again is steele to blame for the lack of fundrraising or is the establishment to blame by thier actions?

unseen on November 16, 2010 at 6:37 PM

The RNC is a non-factor with him.

Maybe it’s just me, but I’m starting to think that the RNC is sliding into irrelevance.

oldleprechaun on November 16, 2010 at 6:40 PM

E9RET on November 16, 2010 at 6:14 PM

See Barbour, Haley; RGA

Raisedbywolves on November 16, 2010 at 6:52 PM

What Up?

antisocial on November 16, 2010 at 6:54 PM

The plain fact is Steele is bad at the job, compounded with all his gaffes and using his position to promote himself – yeah, he has to go.

Fred Thompson or Liz Cheney – either one would be far more effective at the job.

Rebar on November 16, 2010 at 6:56 PM

Good. A new RINO-friendly RNC chairman is much needed.

Who’s behind this effort, BTW? KARL ROVE!

TheAlamos on November 16, 2010 at 6:18 PM

Really? So removing an incompetent person is the trademark of a RINO? I can’t tell if this is sarcasm but I hope it is. FYI, wasn’t it Michael Steele who dismissed Rush Limbaugh as an “entertainer”?

Raisedbywolves on November 16, 2010 at 6:56 PM

I like Michael Steele.

therightwinger on November 16, 2010 at 6:20 PM

I like Clint Eastwood. He should be RNC Chair.

Raisedbywolves on November 16, 2010 at 6:58 PM

unseen on November 16, 2010

Big Donors, whether they be tea party, establishment, or other, typically don’t like to piss their money down a rathole. Steele didn’t exactly install confidence that he was a good steward of that money.

BuzzCrutcher on November 16, 2010 at 6:59 PM

Raisedbywolves on November 16, 2010

I’m guessing it’s not sarcasm. Spend 5 minutes reading comments at Hot Air and you’ll learn that RINOS(like John Cornyn, ACU rating 93%) are behind every single bad thing that happens on earth.

BuzzCrutcher on November 16, 2010 at 7:04 PM

unseen on November 16, 2010 at 6:37 PM

I amsure small donors stopped giving RNC any money because of RINOs but the big donors were stopped by American Crossroads. Koch Brothers and other Texas Billionaires could have given to RNC as wekk but I suspect the Rove brigade convinced them not to. Don’t you find it ironic that all NRSC/NRCC good old boys are keeping their positions but RNC chief who is an outsider isnt? Don’t you also find it a tad convenient that all tea party backed candidates lost , some of them because there was no ground game which was RNC job? Add to the fact that those losses were credited to a certain polarizing national figure and it all starts making sense. Control of RNC is important for GOTV which determines the general elections. The Tea party might play by the rules and win the primaries but we all know how the RINOs react when they lose. They control the RNC they make sure the tea party candidates lose in the general even if that means GOP loses. They are playing hardball and getting rid of Steele is just part of the process.

promachus on November 16, 2010 at 7:05 PM

We did pretty good with a weakened RNC. Unless the tea party is going to take it over I would just assume close it down.

FloatingRock on November 16, 2010 at 7:07 PM

The reason the RNC lost grace in the first place is because they were using the donations to foist a bunch of unwanted RINO’s on people.

If there is any future for the RNC it will require entirely new management. Resetting the clock back to the Bush days does not pique my interest.

FloatingRock on November 16, 2010 at 7:14 PM

I can’t count how many conservatives I’ve noticed on this board and others like it who said “no more money to the RNC until Republicans get some principles”. I don’t think you can blame just one guy for that.

Murf76 on November 16, 2010 at 7:17 PM

promachus on November 16, 2010

So you think the Koch Brothers are part of the Republican establishment? You know one of them once ran for President as a Libertarian, right? FWIW, they probably both did give the legal max (30K) to the RNC. Is it OK that they also gave money to Rove’s group, which, believe it or not, actually did help a lot of conservatives win their races?

And you really think the Establishment wants to control the RNC … so they make make sure the tea party candidates lose in the general election?

Seriously people, does every f*cking thing on earth have to boil down to some elaborate plot by the “establishment” against the Tea Party??? Could it possibly be that Michael Steele is, in fact, an incompetent? Could it possibly be that both the Tea Party AND the establishment could benefit from his removal?

BuzzCrutcher on November 16, 2010 at 7:18 PM

FloatingRock on November 16, 2010

Steele is an idiot, but what unwanted RINO’s did the RNC foist on people. What is the RNC’s role in candidate selection?

BuzzCrutcher on November 16, 2010 at 7:21 PM

considering the level of stupid and corrupt that exists in Congress I can’t bring myself to dislike the guy.

rob verdi on November 16, 2010 at 7:24 PM

BuzzCrutcher on November 16, 2010 at 7:18 PM

So why aren’t the incompetents who are running NRSC/NRCC getting booted? I’d be willing to buy your argument if you’d argue for removal of Cornyn and Stark and their cronies as well.

promachus on November 16, 2010 at 7:28 PM

Face it, Steele did a lousy job. He squandered funds and spent too extravagantly. Time to go. Go away.

scalleywag on November 16, 2010 at 7:29 PM

BuzzCrutcher on November 16, 2010 at 7:21 PM

Where have you been? You sound like you don’t know what’s going on, why people stopped giving money to the RNC and instead donated directly to candidates and more conservative pac’s. Are you telling me you were unaware of this?

If so, you’re so out of touch you could be a member of the establishment.

FloatingRock on November 16, 2010 at 7:29 PM

BuzzCrutcher on November 16, 2010 at 7:18 PM

Mike Duncan was 100 times worse than Steele as RNC chair and he got some of ht ebiggest losses for GOP and yet there was no campaign to remove him. Steele did a few interviews which misfired initially but he’s been good since and he got the biggest house victory for GOP. Something’s fishy.

As for donations from big donors, like it or not, they are flowing to Amewrican Crossroads. Let Rove stop his shadow organization and I will be ok for Steele’s removal.

promachus on November 16, 2010 at 7:32 PM

scalleywag on November 16, 2010 at 7:29 PM

I agree. But Steele in that role is better for the tea party than the good old boys that ran it before him. I’m all for new leadership of the RNC but only if they meet tea party standards, not good old boy standards.

If the only two options are Steele or the good old boys, I’ll stick with Steele.

FloatingRock on November 16, 2010 at 7:35 PM

promachus on November 16, 2010

What is your evidence that Cornyn and Sessions are incompetent? (I assume you mean Sessions instead of Stark). They both made some mistakes, but they didn’t fail to perform the basic functions of their organizations. The RNC botched it’s fundraising, and because of that they didn’t do their 72-hour GOTV plan (which has always been the RNC’s job, because only they can coordinate between campaigns). Give Cornyn and Sessions the GOTV efforts of years past, and they win even more races than they did.

BuzzCrutcher on November 16, 2010 at 7:36 PM

Steele was picked because he was the only one without some stupid racial incident in his recent past.

Speedwagon82 on November 16, 2010 at 7:38 PM

Until the tea party can get somebody better into the role, I endorse Steele.

FloatingRock on November 16, 2010 at 7:39 PM

FloatingRock on November 16, 2010

How exactly was Steele “good” for the Tea Party? I think Buck, for example, might be in the senate now if a competent “good old boy” was running the RNC GOTV efforts. Same for all the Tea Party candidates for the House that came up a point or two short.

The RNC is not a cheerleading committee. It has very specific goals and responsibilities.

BuzzCrutcher on November 16, 2010 at 7:44 PM

promachus on November 16, 2010

Jesus, where do I start with this shit? You do know that there are other factors involved in an election besides the head of the RNC, right? Duncan was dealing with like a minus 10 on the generic ballot, while Steele had a plus 7 or 8. And yet Duncan still managed to raise lots of money and run the GOTV operation, which is the RNC’s purpose.

When did American Crossroads get started? After it became painfully obvious that the RNC wasn’t going to be able to raise squat, because people had no confidence in Steele.

BuzzCrutcher on November 16, 2010 at 7:59 PM

Steele is good because the ratio of conservatives to RINO’s has improved during his tenure. In ’06 we threw out a bunch of pathetic RINO’s. Then we did the same in ’08. Unfortunately we didn’t have much choice but to throw them out because there weren’t any better options.

I don’t want those people back in charge, we threw them out for a reason!

FloatingRock on November 16, 2010 at 8:11 PM

BuzzCrutcher on November 16, 2010 at 7:21 PM

If so, you’re so out of touch you could be a member of the establishment.

FloatingRock on November 16, 2010

What does your answer have to do with the question I asked? (and to answer your question-in-the-form-of-an-answer, I am painfully aware of why people stopped giving to the RNC. THAT’S why I want Steele to be gone)

BuzzCrutcher on November 16, 2010 at 8:12 PM

I don’t want those people back in charge, we threw them out for a reason!

FloatingRock on November 16, 2010

And your theory is that Steele is somehow responsible for this ratio changing? How did he pull that off?

BuzzCrutcher on November 16, 2010 at 8:14 PM

BuzzCrutcher on November 16, 2010 at 7:59 PM

Ha ha, that won’t do. I don’t thnk American Crossroads came in after RNC failed to do its job. It is the reason why RNC failed to meet any financial targets. Simple.

As for Koch brothers, they do speak libertarian shtick when it matters to them but they are the big donors behind AmCross.

Steele made mistakes initially because he was trying to do the establishment thing which didn’t work for him. Once he began the outsider shtick he was doing fine.

And do I really have to detail Cornyn’s many failures? Really?

promachus on November 16, 2010 at 8:19 PM

BuzzCrutcher on November 16, 2010 at 8:14 PM

Yes, whether intentional or due to incompetence, Steele failed to stop the tea party from eliminating even more lowlifes and losers from the RINO gene pool.

FloatingRock on November 16, 2010 at 8:20 PM

The RNC should be replaced with the TPNC.

FloatingRock on November 16, 2010 at 8:21 PM

You mean there are still people sending money to the RNC?

Whatever for? Wouldn’t it be easier to run a FB page with all the GOP candidates and let people contribute directly to them? Get rid of the middle-man, middle-management, and cluelessness while getting the maximum amount to people who need it…

Decentralize the party, that is the way of the 21st century.

Chairs, chiefs, heads and committees are so… Progressive-era.

ajacksonian on November 16, 2010 at 8:21 PM

You mean Duncan was a magical superhero who had the entire GOP rolodex at his disposal and he could convince them regardless of the prospects of victory while Steele is not any of that. It doesn’t work that way. It’s well known that Duncan is also working for American Crossroads and he is in cahoots with Rove. The fact that Duncan could raise the money and Steele could not means simply that Rove told his big donors not to give RNC any money but divert it to American Crossroads. Simple as that.

promachus on November 16, 2010 at 8:22 PM

promachus on November 16, 2010

So if the two Koch brothers, who by law could only give 30K each to the RNC, are the big donors behind American Crossing – how is it that American Crossing prevented the RNC from raising money?

Also, please tell all the Hot Air readers what day it was that Steele started his “outsider schtick”. We’d love to know exactly when he started “doing fine” in his job.

BuzzCrutcher on November 16, 2010 at 8:31 PM

For those that want to replace Steele, you’re wasting your time trying to push the previous guy. You should be looking for a third option.

FloatingRock on November 16, 2010 at 8:33 PM

BuzzCrutcher on November 16, 2010 at 8:14 PM

FloatingRock on November 16, 2010

I was trying to decide if you are Promachus was a bigger idiot. But thanks to this gem of incoherance we have a winner. Is that you Michael? What up?

BuzzCrutcher on November 16, 2010 at 8:37 PM

BuzzCrutcher on November 16, 2010 at 8:37 PM

I don’t take it personally. I’m mature enough to realize that we have competing interests, you and I. While you wish to go back to the Republican party that was thrown out of office, for good reason, I want to move forward with the tea party that just won a historic victory.

I hope you lose.

FloatingRock on November 16, 2010 at 8:43 PM

BuzzCrutcher on November 16, 2010 at 8:37 PM

Your offensive attitude is also indicative of establishment proclivities.

I’m all for replacing Steele but we have to find somebody better, not worse. Why you are trying so hard to put a loser back in charge of the RNC, I have no idea, but it’s suspicious.

FloatingRock on November 16, 2010 at 8:53 PM

I hope you lose.

FloatingRock on November 16, 2010

You know, I was a little too snarky, and I appreciate you being a good sport about it. That being said, what I WANT is for a competent person to run the RNC, for that person to raise a lot of money, and for that money to be spent on the RNC’s GOTV efforts which have traditionally been very effective. Regardless of what else goes on with a campaign, whether the candidate is a tea partier or a RINO, a good GOTV effort is the difference between getting 49% and 51%.

Can we not agree that would’ve been most helpful in Colorado for Buck? In the MN Gov race? In any number of House races (and State Senate, School Board, etc.) where Republican candidates, many of whom were VERY conservative, came up just a little bit short?

That’s what I want.

BuzzCrutcher on November 16, 2010 at 9:00 PM

BuzzCrutcher on November 16, 2010 at 8:31 PM

So charmingly naive. I am assuming that Koch brothers with all their billions and thier resources could give only 30,000 each and that’s they have given in the past. No bundling, no stooges, no money channels. They’ve always personally given 30,000 and they stopped at that. Sure.

promachus on November 16, 2010 at 9:07 PM

BuzzCrutcher on November 16, 2010 at 9:00 PM

I wouldn’t mind somebody better at the RNC but I’d be more selective. However, since you’ve expressed flexibility then we perhaps a third candidate can be found that the tea party and the establishment would both approve of.

FloatingRock on November 16, 2010 at 9:07 PM

promachus on November 16, 2010

Let’s say they both come up with 100 bundlers each, at 30K a pop. Besides guaranteeing themselves investigations by the FEC, IRS, DOJ, etc, they would habe raised a grand total of … $6 million. Steele and the RNC came up a lot shorter than that.

BuzzCrutcher on November 16, 2010 at 9:13 PM

FloatingRock on November 16, 2010

Suits the heck out of me. I wasn’t endorsing Duncan for Chairman, just pointing out that his fundraising and GOTV was much better than Steele’s.

BuzzCrutcher on November 16, 2010 at 9:17 PM

The RNC could have helped a lot in CO, WA, NV and maybe even CT in all aspects of their races but they dropped the ball big time. Steele has been rather underwhelming in his tenure, he needs to go.

cadams on November 16, 2010 at 9:18 PM

BuzzCrutcher on November 16, 2010 at 9:17 PM

I think there is more resistance to Duncan than there is to replacing Steele.

FloatingRock on November 16, 2010 at 9:26 PM

BuzzCrutcher on November 16, 2010 at 9:17 PM

So the cat is out of the bag. You are a Duncan stooge. That explains it.

promachus on November 16, 2010 at 9:30 PM

I am not convinced the lack of funds is Steele’s fault. I, for one, didn’t donate to the RNC this election cycle and instead I donated directly to candidates.

A lot of people did the same from the blog chatter I have been reading. It wasn’t because of Steele, it was because of several years of the party funding the “cucumber sandwich” Republicans.

crosspatch on November 16, 2010 at 11:19 PM

Perfect encapsulation as to why the RNC got $0 from me this election cycle.

watson007 on November 16, 2010 at 11:28 PM

Speedwagon82 on November 16, 2010 at 7:38 PM

Blackwell was scandal-free.
I still think Ken Blackwell or FRED! would be excellent choices.

annoyinglittletwerp on November 16, 2010 at 11:31 PM

So the cat is out of the bag. You are a Duncan stooge. That explains it.

promachus on November 16, 2010

That’s it, genius, you nailed me. Because no rational person could possibly be dissatisfied with Steele’s performance unless they were a “stooge” for the previous chairman.

I guess that whole “Get out the Vote” stuff is overrated anyway. Just ask Senator Buck, Governor Emmer and Congressman Fimian. I bet they’ll all tell you they could take it or leave it.

BuzzCrutcher on November 17, 2010 at 12:49 PM