Obamateurism of the day

posted at 8:05 am on November 15, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Barack Obama is notoriously skittish about press conferences, and will go to almost any length to either avoid them or cut them short.  He outdid himself in Seoul, however, when press from around the world started peppering him about the tough road trip to the G-20.  NDTV in India notes that Obama offered a rather laughable excuse to escape:

By the time 45 minutes had passed, Mr. Obama seemed eager to end the news conference and get on to his next stop: Yokohama, Japan, where he is to attend yet another conference, the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation forum. As a president with his own plane, Air Force One, Mr. Obama controls his own schedule. But he cut short his final questioner.

“I’m late for my flight,” the president explained.

Er, would Air Force One leave without the President?  I know airlines like to keep their on-time record as good as possible, but this is ridiculous.  But hey, at least he didn’t tell the press that he had to leave to scoop the poop.

Got an  Obamateurism of the Day? If you see a foul-up by Barack Obama, e-mail it to me at obamaisms@edmorrissey.com with the quote and the link to the  Obamateurism. I’ll post the best Obamateurisms on a daily basis, depending on how many I receive. Include a link to your blog, and I’ll give some link love as well. And unlike Slate, I promise to end the feature when Barack Obama leaves office.

Illustrations by Chris Muir of Day by Day. Be sure to read the adventures of Sam, Zed, Damon, and Jan every day!

Comments

Maybe TOTUS was ready to go. No way Obama keeps TOTUS waiting.

trubble on November 15, 2010 at 8:08 AM

The laughing-stock-in-chief strikes again!

DuctTapeMyBrain on November 15, 2010 at 8:08 AM

It’s probably more like the puppet master pulling him off the stage with a hook…

/Carpe Dumb… Seize the Idiot.

Key West Reader on November 15, 2010 at 8:10 AM

A day late and a dollar short.

JimK on November 15, 2010 at 8:11 AM

he had to give himself time to get through security doncha know….

/s

cmsinaz on November 15, 2010 at 8:12 AM

I’m sure George Soros would have held the plane for Dear Liar.

rbj on November 15, 2010 at 8:13 AM

OMG! Laughable. Did they x-ray his very miniscule penis?

OmahaConservative on November 15, 2010 at 8:14 AM

Forever diminishing the United States.

Disturb the Universe on November 15, 2010 at 8:14 AM

He is late for his flight and is late in scooping poop. This guy stepped down to take the job of President, so I was told. What gives?

Electrongod on November 15, 2010 at 8:14 AM

He pooped on the scoop.

tinkerthinker on November 15, 2010 at 8:14 AM

Check is in the mail. Dog ate my homework. I was in bad cell coverage area…

forest on November 15, 2010 at 8:14 AM

He can’t figure out Air Force One, but he’s going to fix the economy.

rogerb on November 15, 2010 at 8:15 AM

The national joke strikes again.

Dhuka on November 15, 2010 at 8:15 AM

As much as it pains me, I can’t blame HIM for this one. While AF1 is getting ready to roll, the airport is in virtual shut down and air routes are heavily restricted for other traffic. No, AF1 won’t leave without him but a delay ripples over into disrupting a lot of other people.

That said, I doubt if he cares that common folk are inconvenienced.

Dingbat63 on November 15, 2010 at 8:18 AM

“Thanks – See ya. Gotta go catch a smoke.”

forest on November 15, 2010 at 8:19 AM

If I had laid the economic egg that he had, I’d have skipped the press conference and gotten out of town faster than that.

hip shot on November 15, 2010 at 8:19 AM

Er, would Air Force One leave without the President?

Any other president, I would have to say no. This one, I’m not so sure.

Kafir on November 15, 2010 at 8:20 AM

“I’m late for my flight,” the president explained.

Story of his life.

petefrt on November 15, 2010 at 8:20 AM

See? This is just another example of the overwhelming demands on the President’s time. All those press people demanding answers, all those problems that demand solutions, every where he goes, it’s just one demand after another.

Skandia Recluse on November 15, 2010 at 8:22 AM

Check is in the mail. Dog ate my homework. I was in bad cell coverage area…

forest on November 15, 2010 at 8:14 AM

“Honest… I ran out of gas. I, I had a flat tire. I didn’t have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn’t come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake. A terrible flood. Locusts. IT WASN’T MY FAULT, I SWEAR TO GOD.”

James on November 15, 2010 at 8:24 AM

He actualy DID have to scoop the poop; the rest of the G20 certainly had crapped all over him.

michaelo on November 15, 2010 at 8:24 AM

Er, would Air Force One leave without the President?

Any other president, I would have to say no. This one, I’m not so sure.

Kafir on November 15, 2010 at 8:20 AM

I bet the crew thinks about it all the time.

James on November 15, 2010 at 8:25 AM

“Part of the reason that sometimes it seems as if the United States is attracting some dissent is because we’re initiating ideas,” he said, “And some countries pushed back.”

It just seems like dissent, but it’s not; it’s pushing back.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Disturb the Universe on November 15, 2010 at 8:26 AM

“I’m late for my flight,” the president explained.

Actually if he had still been in the States, he could have used the excuse that his flight was delayed due to TOTUS refusing to a TSA (Thuggish Security Authority) Full Body Scan and also being held for refusing to undergo a thorough pat-down inspection.

pilamaye on November 15, 2010 at 8:28 AM

So have the late night comedians found anything to use as material for Obama yet?

unseen on November 15, 2010 at 8:28 AM

I’m almost willing to give The One the benefit of the doubt on this one.

It could be that he had scheduled events on the other end and they needed to get in the air. Or it could be that he’s a weenie who didn’t want to answer any questions.

Either way it sounds pretty lame

Stephen Macklin on November 15, 2010 at 8:29 AM

Any other president, I would have to say no. This one, I’m not so sure.

Kafir on November 15, 2010 at 8:20 AM

Confirmed

Shy Guy on November 15, 2010 at 8:30 AM

GOD in Heaven make this nightmare go away! Amen!

lukespapa on November 15, 2010 at 8:33 AM

We hired a plumber to install the electrical. We got what we paid for.

Limerick on November 15, 2010 at 8:34 AM

As someone else said, this is not an Obamateurism at all. When Air Force 1 lands or takes off, the airport gets totally shut down, usually for up to an hour. I’m guessing that the time slot was already pre-arranged so that airlines knew when the President was leaving and could make adjustments in advance. He leaves later and flights get delayed, people miss their connections, etc.

AngusMc on November 15, 2010 at 8:35 AM

“I’m late for my flight,” the president explained.

Genius here is not just “late” for his own flight…

….he has missed the boat…
……..screwed the pooch…..
…………dropped the ball……

This is the face of “Hope and Change”.

‘Son, Can You Spare a Signature? Kids Co-Sign for Credit Strapped Parents

“Son, can you co-sign for my car?” That’s the kind of question more adult children like Daniel Lee have heard from parents hit hard by the great recession.

…Those kids weren’t fainting at Obama rallies through being star struck….
…..they were fainting because their future’s are being drowned in debt.

“Yes We Can!!!”

Baxter Greene on November 15, 2010 at 8:36 AM

Had some short time scheduled with a lady-boy before take off.

Alden Pyle on November 15, 2010 at 8:37 AM

AngusMc on November 15, 2010 at 8:35 AM

i’ll give that to you, but I wonder if he would care about it if he was in the middle of a rally with his kool-aid drinkers instead….

cmsinaz on November 15, 2010 at 8:38 AM

My President: cringe-worthy embarrassment.

NaCly dog on November 15, 2010 at 8:40 AM

“This is a press conference. The last thing I expected was to have to answer a lot of questions.”

BuckeyeSam on November 15, 2010 at 8:43 AM

My grandma once said you can never tell when a person is merely exercising proper class and good breeding…but you can always tell when they are not.

Obama…you have neither.

coldwarrior on November 15, 2010 at 8:44 AM

AF1 would wait, but not his tee time in Yokohama.

Akzed on November 15, 2010 at 8:45 AM

AF1 would wait, but not his tee time in Yokohama.

Akzed on November 15, 2010 at 8:45 AM

cmsinaz on November 15, 2010 at 8:46 AM

He’s late for his flight. That poop won’t scoop itself.

Sekhmet on November 15, 2010 at 8:47 AM

Barry was late for his junk-check and boobie-grapple. Priorities, ya know.

Yoop on November 15, 2010 at 8:49 AM

Can’t you just let the man eat his waffle scoop his poop get on his getaway car plane?

apostic on November 15, 2010 at 8:50 AM

OMG! Laughable. Did they x-ray his very miniscule penis?

OmahaConservative on November 15, 2010 at 8:14 AM

Rude and uncalled-for, OC. The pat-down of his vajayjay obviated the need for an X-ray.

Extrafishy on November 15, 2010 at 8:52 AM

The entire world is laughing at the incompetant fool that resides at 1600 Pensylvania Avenue, Washington, D.C. God protect us.

kingsjester on November 15, 2010 at 8:52 AM

OmahaConservative on November 15, 2010 at 8:14 AM

You owe my company one 21″ flat screen monitor!

ladyingray on November 15, 2010 at 8:52 AM

coldwarrior on November 15, 2010 at 8:44 AM

Dear old grandma was right, of course.

ladyingray on November 15, 2010 at 8:52 AM

lolz. It briefly went into moderation.

OmahaConservative on November 15, 2010 at 8:54 AM

I’d trade my first born son to see this magna cum bubble’s transcripts.

darwin-t on November 15, 2010 at 8:55 AM

“The United States, obviously, has a special role to play on the international stage, regardless of who is President,” Mr. Obama said. “We are a very large, very wealthy, very powerful country. We have had outsized influence over world affairs for a century now. And you are now seeing a situation in which a whole host of other countries are doing very well and coming into their own, and naturally they are going to be more assertive in terms of their interests and ideas. And that’s a healthy thing.”

Outsized influence.

Why is this man POTUS when he agrees with all the anti-US grumblers?

journeyintothewhirlwind on November 15, 2010 at 8:55 AM

It’s obvious that our extraordinarily talented President’s restless spirit simply got bored to death.

Gang-of-One on November 15, 2010 at 9:00 AM

lolz. It briefly went into moderation.

OmahaConservative on November 15, 2010 at 8:54 AM

A small injunction for a small injector?

(Wonder how long THIS will be in moderation?)

apostic on November 15, 2010 at 9:00 AM

apostic on November 15, 2010 at 9:00 AM

Heh.

OmahaConservative on November 15, 2010 at 9:02 AM

“I’m late for my flight,” the president explained.

Persons who suffer NPD (Narcicisstic Personality Disorder) revel in being late and making others wait on their timeframe. He was running with his tail tucked between his legs like the curr dog that he is.

darwin-t on November 15, 2010 at 9:04 AM

“Thanks – See ya. Gotta go catch a smoke.”

forest on November 15, 2010 at 8:19 AM

Having pretended to quit myself several times, I can imagine how itchy he was for that cig.

(now I have done it for real as of 6 weeks ago – yet another thing I have accomplished that Barack Obama can’t.)

disa on November 15, 2010 at 9:11 AM

Whoa! When ObaMao has lost Politico…

onlineanalyst on November 15, 2010 at 9:12 AM

Forever diminishing the United States.

Disturb the Universe on November 15, 2010 at 8:14 AM

It’s a disturbing quote. First off, the United States has not had “outsized influence” for a century. More like 65 years, and “outsized” isn’t the word for it anyway.

and Obama continued:

Not necessarily a healthy thing. We had two situations in the 20th Century with a host of successful countries coming into their own and being assertive (the collectivist countries being the most malignant). 75 million people were killed and the United States had to use its supposedly “outsized” influence to put a stop to it. And I’m not even getting into the containment of the commies, jihadists and other members of the Group W Bench.

Our president is a historic illiterate, and the little he does “know” is distorted by his diseased ideology. It’s hard to believe it’s come to a point where we have a guy like this representing us.

forest on November 15, 2010 at 9:12 AM

A weak President
Invites enemy attack.
Gonna get ugly…

Haiku Guy on November 15, 2010 at 9:13 AM

Wow, ObaMao didn’t even have the excuse of having a haircut to hold up the plane. Then again, maybe he did… (The press conference was trimming his sails a bit, doncha know?)

onlineanalyst on November 15, 2010 at 9:16 AM

“I’m late for my flight,” the president explained.

Sorry guys, but I have to side with Obama on this one…you should all do a little more reading and not just jump to conclusion.
Here is what he was talking about.

right2bright on November 15, 2010 at 9:17 AM

disa on November 15, 2010 at 9:11 AM

2 1/2 months here, after 30 years.

Don’t ya just feel terrible that some 30 year old child is going without health insurance, due to us? :-)

MNHawk on November 15, 2010 at 9:19 AM

forest on November 15, 2010 at 9:12 AM

The ManChild is relying on the script written for him in The Post-American World. He thinks that the book is prophesy and that he is its evangelizer.

onlineanalyst on November 15, 2010 at 9:19 AM

I don’t know Mr. Morrissey, although he seems to have kept AFO in check as of late, sometimes there is no telling what a plane will do.

Cindy Munford on November 15, 2010 at 9:19 AM

Dingbat63 on November 15, 2010 at 8:18 AM

chemman on November 15, 2010 at 9:31 AM

2 1/2 months here, after 30 years.

MNHawk on November 15, 2010 at 9:19 AM

After 50+ years of one to two packs a day it is now 165 days, 12 hours, 14 minutes and 35 seconds without one. Cold turkey. Don’t miss them a bit…

Yoop on November 15, 2010 at 9:34 AM

Don’t miss them a bit…

Yoop on November 15, 2010 at 9:34 AM

My bad. My hand was shaking so bad I typed a lie.

Yoop on November 15, 2010 at 9:35 AM

he had to give himself time to get through security doncha know….

/s

cmsinaz on November 15, 2010 at 8:12 AM

All that kicking and crying after taking away his TOTUS makes the process that much longer.

“Don’t touch me!”

csdeven on November 15, 2010 at 9:39 AM

Don’t miss them a bit…

Yoop on November 15, 2010 at 9:34 AM

I believe you.

Cindy Munford on November 15, 2010 at 9:45 AM

Knowing His personality type, He is struggling to hold on to His composure. He knows that He can’t tick off the press or the international community. They are His base!

Speaking of struggles…

The lefty press is breaking their arms to keep supporting the weight of this guy.

Tougher than quitting smoking…

IlikedAUH2O on November 15, 2010 at 9:55 AM

Hey, what about some compliments?

Dhuka on November 15, 2010 at 10:08 AM

Reporters mistakenly took Obama’s previous “scoop the poop” comment literally.

He was actually describing his answers to their questions.

landlines on November 15, 2010 at 10:09 AM

“We are a very large, very wealthy, very powerful country. We have had outsized influence over world affairs for a century now. . . .

and I intend to put a stop to all of that,” said Mr. Obama.

AZCoyote on November 15, 2010 at 10:17 AM

AngusMc on November 15, 2010 at 10:28 AM

Possible, but more likely AF1 was waiting at the local Air Force base rather that the International Airport. Better security you know. … His flight from Seoul left from a military base, but his arrival was at Tokyo International Airport, one of the busiest in the world. Delay leaving Korea means delay arriving in Tokyo. AngusMc on November 15, 2010 at 10:28 AM

And the air space in between. Again, I doubt that HE ever gave any of this any thought…HE is The Won.

Dingbat63 on November 15, 2010 at 10:31 AM

Extrafishy on November 15, 2010 at 8:52 AM

lolz. You must’ve been moderated, too.

OmahaConservative on November 15, 2010 at 10:37 AM

PSOTUS:
Pooper Scooper of the US.

Although, I’m sure there are other substitutions that one could make for the “PS-” part of PSOTUS.

UltimateBob on November 15, 2010 at 11:28 AM

lolz. You must’ve been moderated, too.

OmahaConservative on November 15, 2010 at 10:37 AM

Moderated, but not banned…yet. I’m learning from the master just how far to push the envelope.

Extrafishy on November 15, 2010 at 11:33 AM

Well, I guess he is back. No one threatend to keep him. No one offered to keep him. I guess we are stuck.

BetseyRoss on November 15, 2010 at 1:49 PM

“We’re buying shrimp guys”.
“Can’t I just eat my waffle”
“The police acted stupidly”

Whoda say this coming?

dthorny on November 15, 2010 at 2:04 PM

Because “the smartest man on Earth” can’t finish a thought, sans teleprompter.

He left plenty of poop in India, Korea, Japan. He diminished his country, and with that himself. He’s too dumb to realize that one affects the other.

Schadenfreude on November 15, 2010 at 2:28 PM

OMG! Laughable. Did they x-ray his very miniscule penis?

OmahaConservative on November 15, 2010 at 8:14 AM

No, Chris Matthews was on standby.

Schadenfreude on November 15, 2010 at 2:29 PM

This was in India? I’m surprised he didn’t say he was going out for a burger.

malclave on November 15, 2010 at 3:37 PM

Well, he did make it clear during the campaign that he would do this sort of stuff if elected:

“Can’t I just eat my waffle?”

Yet you fools cast your vote for him just the same.

Die.

RedNewEnglander on November 15, 2010 at 5:06 PM

I think we may have an all-time winner here…

tom on November 15, 2010 at 8:02 PM