Video: TSA body-searches a three-year-old girl

posted at 4:30 pm on November 14, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

I fly on a fairly regular basis, and usually have no trouble at all going through security at the airports. Even when I’ve been flagged for closer inspection occasionally, TSA agents have always been professional and even friendly about it. That’s probably because I’m old enough to understand the issues involved, and I deliberately get to the airport early enough not to stress about delays at security. But what happens when a three-year-old girl gets upset at having to give up her teddy bear and TSA then flags her for closer inspection? This (h/t Katy W):

Note: This video originally aired in January 2009.

I’m sure TSA must be really happy to have discovered that Daddy works as a television reporter.

We can’t know for certain that terrorists wouldn’t use a child as a mule to get explosives or other weapons through airport security, of course. In fact, we’ve seen al-Qaeda use children and the mentally impaired as “suicide” bombers in Iraq, so we know they have no scruples in doing so. Allahpundit noted three days ago that those who complain about those procedures now would have a very different take on the matter if a plane suddenly exploded in mid-air. However, wouldn’t that require the parents of the child (or those posing as parents) to be the actual terrorists? Shouldn’t TSA have taken the whole family aside and questioned Mom and Dad first to see if they got a hint of some ulterior motive?

This points out yet again how the American approach to flight security misses the point, thanks to an “everyone must suffer equally” approach. The Israelis have not had an incident in decades, thanks to a much more comprehensive but subtle approach that looks for actual clues to danger, rather than using a random-sample method. The Wall Street Journal reported on this almost a year ago, shortly after the Christmas Day terrorist attack attempt on a Northwest flight from Amsterdam:

If we’re mugging random three-year-olds to provide security to air travel, I’d say we need to rethink our approach. And if we continue along this path, is it unreasonable to ask that TSA provide some training on how to conduct a body search on a three-year-old without terrifying children in this manner?

Finally, Minnesota Majority presents a montage of images and video from TSA inspections, along with a heavy dose of Barack Obama and Janet Napolitano, set to The Who’s “See Me, Feel Me” from their rock opera Tommy.  This problem actually predates the Obama administration, but they’ve been in charge for almost two years and they seem to be reinforcing the problem rather than solving it.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 6

Does it make sense? Yes. You think adults are above hiding dangerous contraband on their kids? Think again!

All this whining about patdowns is ridiculous. Get over it.

Blake on November 14, 2010 at 4:32 PM

If the little one had muslim parents you can be certain the TSA would have left her alone.

annoyinglittletwerp on November 14, 2010 at 4:33 PM

Thank Islam! stickers should be placed on every TSA screening portal.

profitsbeard on November 14, 2010 at 4:37 PM

I just can’t see how this will end well.

We need Israeli style airport security…….

I will be driving this Holiday season…..I won’t put my family through this crap………….

And hey Blake……ah never mind, you appear to be one of them.

RealMc on November 14, 2010 at 4:37 PM

I blame the parents!

eclark1849 on November 14, 2010 at 4:38 PM

When is Janet going to get her scan?
My recollection is that, at the scanner’s introduction, she stepped aside …
In her case, I’ll settle for seeing her in the booth while only the scan of her skull is displayed …

Arbalest on November 14, 2010 at 4:38 PM

And another case. This has GOT to stop. If you’re not my husband or my doctor, you don’t see or touch me there. Period.

hoosiermama on November 14, 2010 at 4:38 PM

You got a tot that throws a tantrum “because her teddybear is taken away and put through the scanner” and then continues the tantrum when the alarm goes off and she is gently patted down as is protocol? And then told by the guy who is her father but who is FILMING that the workers need “child sensitivity training”?

This is one of the reasons when I used to do ER work all the time if the kid was unmanageable we got the parent(s) OUT of the room.

Marcus on November 14, 2010 at 4:38 PM

And you video title is a joke. That brat was not “accosted”.

Marcus on November 14, 2010 at 4:39 PM

How about grabbing the genitals of a 3 year old boy, twice?

JustTruth101 on November 14, 2010 at 4:43 PM

Wonder if she threw the same tantrum when the flight was delayed 5 min-10-min-15min-45-min-1 hour when she objected to fastening the seat belt before take-off.

Marcus on November 14, 2010 at 4:45 PM

Thank Islam! stickers should be placed on every TSA screening portal.

profitsbeard on November 14, 2010 at 4:37 PM

I fly a lot, and every time I get my bottled water taken away (regardless of the fact that I bought it in the airport) or my carry-on bag is emptied out in front of me, that is exactly what goes through my head. Thank you, Religion of Peace, for making everyones’ life more unsafe and unpleasant.

Cicero43 on November 14, 2010 at 4:45 PM

I you don’t like it, drive. Simple. Or is flying another “right” that we don’t know about, yet. No shirt, no shoes, no search, no service.

sgtstogie on November 14, 2010 at 4:47 PM

We are just pushing the cost of terrorism onto the consumer. Its the consumer that gets his crotch probed, his child manhandled, it is he that buys the tickets, that waits in line, then burns when the flight goes up in smoke. He pays the whole cost. It is only the politician that pays the political cost.

ted c on November 14, 2010 at 4:48 PM

I would kill the TSA Nazis if they handled my child that way. Assaulting children is ok, screening Muslims, not so much.

Blarg the Destroyer on November 14, 2010 at 4:48 PM

P R O F I L E!!!!!

Dingbat63 on November 14, 2010 at 4:52 PM

Uhm, profiling works…ask Israel, you know, the one country who suffers from maniacs more than any other country in the world?

This xray thing is way to easy to beat and is way, way, way too intrusive for anyone. If they are going this far, they may as well do anal and vaginal probing, at least that would actually be hard to beat.

I get the feeling this is just a move of the overton window and serves no other purpose. Once again, the public is being manipulated and once again, we have the usual suspects falling for it instead of fighting it.

Alinsky on November 14, 2010 at 4:53 PM

That’s probably because I’m old enough to understand the issues involved,

No I don’t think you do understand the issues involved. Start profiling possible terrorists or better yet start considering banning Muslims from coming into the country and this nonsense will end. All you, Allahpundit and this report care about is “procedure”, that tells me you still don’t understand the issue.

lowandslow on November 14, 2010 at 4:55 PM

I can’t wait to see what this does to the airline industry.

Dork B. on November 14, 2010 at 4:55 PM

And that is why I am not going to be flying anywhere.
I haven’t for several years bcs of the high airfare prices & ‘fees’. It’s cheaper for me to drive my Honda 1300 miles to g-ma’s house in gas & hotels than it is for me to fly & rent a car.
My daughter is flying to Atlanta this T-giving.
She has a 9mo old baby.
I’m worried for her.

Badger40 on November 14, 2010 at 4:55 PM

Making Air Travel Safer
(adapted from a 2009 essay by Don Cooper)

It amazes me how many people in America believe that the federal government not only has the legal and moral authority to dictate, mandate, control certain aspects of our lives, but also that they are capable of doing it better than anyone else.

With all the talk recently about the ineffectiveness of the TSA, I’ve engaged in discussions about the issue of the government trying to provide adequate airport security for a country of 300 million and some 28 thousand daily flights. My proposal is always the same: each airline should be responsible for it’s own security. The response I get to this proposal is always the same: “I don’t know about that”.

It seems to be embedded in people’s psyche, almost genetically, that the federal government is in fact the only entity in our country that can and should do certain things for us, and the broken logic associated with this thinking boggles my mind.

First of all, what incentive does any TSA worker have to ensure our safety? If you work for the federal government, you have a job for life and beyond, because you will never get fired, especially if you are a minority working for the TSA. The TSA, because of John F. Kennedy’s executive order 10925, is legally obligated to work to affirmatively retain minorities and not fire them.

This, of course, would not be the case if airlines were responsible for their own security. People get fired from private companies all the time.

Furthermore, any problems with flights for airline X would be public knowledge, and passengers could simply choose to fly with another carrier, whereas the federal government takes great pains to hide the myriad of problems associated with federal agencies in an effort to make people think they are safe. Of course, even when problems are identified, public agencies like the TSA don’t accept any responsibility and simply get Congress to force Americans to give them more money, since more money always solves the problem. Meanwhile, passengers have no choice in the matter. They must rely on the TSA for flight security even though TSA hs no financial incentive to do so. That should scare the shoes off of anyone.

If you have one huge group of people, like the TSA, monotonously working day after day, and with no economic incentive, to screen hundreds of thousands of people, they are going to get bored, distracted and be unmotivated. Whereas if each airline were doing their own security, then you would have a smaller group of individuals hired specifically by the airline solely for this purpose, screening only those passengers flying with that airline and with an economic incentive to do a good job.

Even more ridiculous is the attitude that somehow the federal government knows best, that they should be our moral compass. The argument is that individuals in our society are too irresponsible and too stupid to know what’s good for them, and private firms are too greedy, so the people in the government will regulate society to ensure the right decisions are made for our own good. The broken logic here is painful: the people in our government come from that same social pool of individuals and business owners that they contend are irresponsible and greedy! What happens when they are elected or appointed to office? Are they suddenly endowed with some sort of immaculate wisdom that emanates from Washington? Are they somehow no longer part of the irresponsible and greedy class but rather part of the enlightened class?

Truthfully, often any knowledge that the federal or any government has is already known in the private sector before the politicians even know it exists. We dummies know it way before the enlightened ones do. They get the information from the private sector and then re-disseminate it to us and then take credit for it.

itsnotaboutme on November 14, 2010 at 4:56 PM

sgtstogie on November 14, 2010 at 4:47 PM

AMEN. This has gone from the legitimate argument about pilots being ridiculously searched to blaming child tantrums on security screeners. Take the bus.

Marcus on November 14, 2010 at 4:56 PM

sgtstogie on November 14, 2010 at 4:47 PM

When the airlines fold will you lead the crusade to stop the bailout of the airline industry?

Maybe the reason people are objecting is because they see it as just a phony show. I am positive that if I wanted to I could still sneak a blade past either screening progress.

We need to stop treating all passengers as criminals.

clement on November 14, 2010 at 4:56 PM

If we ban travelers from all countries known to harbor terrorists, including these ‘allies’ we have i.e. Saudi Arabia, & then let profiling happen, we wouldn’t be going through such crap.
How ’bout let’s get some Israeli airport security folks to come over & show us how it’s done?

Badger40 on November 14, 2010 at 4:57 PM

That kid wasn’t a terrorist and anyone with a functioning brain knows it. This is just the blind idiocy of an all powerful bureaucracy.

sharrukin on November 14, 2010 at 4:58 PM

This whole thing is not by accident. If the added pat downs where for a reason it would of happen back after the undy bomber. It is all to turn up the pressure and make people agitated so the government has to come in and solve the problem that it created and one loses more freedom in the process. The timing is not a coincidence.

It could be at least two reasons. One to stop flying and help the Eco base save the planet by intimidation see 10-10. or just another reason to create tension so there will be a riot and the government can come in to save the day. Vanity has to go out the window when one is flying. If there was even a hint that the scanners would be dangerous they would not have been allowed. This is the same government mentality that wants to ban happy meals because they and hundreds of other things can lead to obesity. But for some reason if someone sees or feel your junk and thousands of others everyday that is all bad for some reason. The standing order of this government is to do what ever is needed to turn up the pressure to cause strife then do it. This is no difference.

What they need is scanner that was on Total Recall. X Ray scan No junk to see just if you have low calcium.

tjexcite on November 14, 2010 at 4:59 PM

Does this make us more secure?

Absofreakinlutely. These blind screenings tell me, “Yes, America knows how to catch a terrorist!” /s

MeatHeadinCA on November 14, 2010 at 4:59 PM

sgtstogie
Marcus
Blake

Apparently like diddling little kids. I mean, they’re all for it here.

Vancomycin on November 14, 2010 at 4:59 PM

P R O F I L E!!!!!

Dingbat63 on November 14, 2010 at 4:52 PM

I am starting to agree. Treating children like this is unacceptable. I realize some of these Islamic Fascists will gladly kill their own children or that of others for their Jihad.

To give some historical context: The reason we feel bad about WWII and the camps is because the Japanese didn’t commit terrorism in the U.S. It was a tragedy to round them up, certainly.

I promise you we wouldn’t have the same sorrow if they had been bombing school buses etc… like Arabs do in Israel.

scotash on November 14, 2010 at 5:00 PM

itsnotaboutme on November 14, 2010 at 4:56 PM

Yeah well I suppose that’s fine for those flying within the country.
But when you’re crossing international borders getting into the US, them I’m afraid the Feds do have a right & a duty to run the show from that area.
Anyone coming into this country needs to have a legitimate reason for coming here & should be closely scrutinized depending upon where they’re going or coming from when they cross the US border anywhere.
I would rather people like FBI & such do that.
Not low paid uneducated morons like TSA agents.

Badger40 on November 14, 2010 at 5:00 PM

I’ve already logged nearly 200,000 flight miles this year and I am completely opposed to the Hobbson’s choice between the new X-Ray machines and a new enhanced search that includes the TSA employee moving up the thigh until “resistance is encountered.”

Enough already. I’ve flown within and out of numerous other countries without putting up with the kind of garbage we see at TSA checkpoints. Australia, for example, is eminently common-sensical about it.

The sniffer machines didn’t work because of the “dust” in the real world. The new machines were ordered by the same geniuses after sales pitches by lobbyists. Which of these experts is going to be checking and maintaining them? Even experts who assert that, as far as they know, the basic radiation dose isn’t dangerous, point out that the machines can malfunction, and there’s a lot of disagreement among scientists about its safety.

There are also a lot of security experts who point out that the new procedures won’t screen out any more terrorists.

Big Sis Napolitano and her assistants are all in favor of it. Choose your side and check out travel sites such as FlyerTalk where experienced travelers across a wide political spectrum are finding common ground in opposition to this new monstrosity the government is trying to foist on us.

Support National Opt-Out Day.

Drained Brain on November 14, 2010 at 5:00 PM

TSA agents have always been professional and even friendly about it.

I’ve had good experiences with TSA people at smaller airports … some of the other TSA people don’t exactly inspire confidence.

MeatHeadinCA on November 14, 2010 at 5:01 PM

So, all the video on this page is disabled on my machine…guess I’ll run out to Target and get a new computer.

While in China and traveling through several different airports in the mainland, I was impressed that the Chinese just matter of factly hauled ME looking men out of the line for closer, er, examination. Pure profiling. My hat is off to them for their good judgement.

ericdijon on November 14, 2010 at 5:01 PM

P R O F I L E!!!!!

Dingbat63 on November 14, 2010 at 4:52 PM

This!

jimmy2shoes on November 14, 2010 at 5:02 PM

P R O F I L E!!!!!

Dingbat63 on November 14, 2010 at 4:52 PM

Worth repeating!

Badger40 on November 14, 2010 at 5:02 PM

BTW, Ed, thanks for giving this coverage. Hopefully the Conservatives will put some … errr … sanity back into the way we have airport security.

MeatHeadinCA on November 14, 2010 at 5:02 PM

Our own Political Correctness is destroying the whole travel industry

El Al is correct. Profiling works.

Kini on November 14, 2010 at 5:03 PM

sharrukin on November 14, 2010 at 4:58 PM

Katy pointed out an interesting theory. You’ve got to wonder if “they” (the TSA for ex) do it just to show that they can. It’s really sick.

MeatHeadinCA on November 14, 2010 at 5:05 PM

Badger40 on November 14, 2010 at 4:57 PM

Everything else is is just an elaborate effort of liberal feel good-ism with a side benefit of humiliating decent people because no one has the guts to do anything about the real problem. And that includes most the so called conservatives.

lowandslow on November 14, 2010 at 5:05 PM

Clearly the TSA needs more training on how to handle a situation like this. Children are taught from a very young age that you do not allow anyone (other than mom and dad) to touch you. I’m sure this was tramatic for the child and I hope that she is ok.

milwife88 on November 14, 2010 at 5:06 PM

To the “deal with it” crowd:

These new “enhanced” public pat downs are humiliating by design. The goal is to get everyone through the body scanners.

I’ve experienced old-fashioned back-of-the-hand pat downs several times when flying in the past, but what I’ve read about these enhanced pat downs are much more invasive. Rubbing hands up from ankles to crotch, waist bands pulled out, combing fingers through hair hair, touching faces, touching/squeezing breasts. While they’ve stated that these pat downs are to be same sex, I’ve read many instances where this wasn’t the case. I’d rather suffer the naked body scan to avoid such a violation, but there’s no guarantee that you won’t have the enhanced pat down as well.

I don’t think its too much to ask that children under the age of 13 be excluded from these extensive pat downs. It is obvious that the training up to this point is not adequate to handle kids.

rosewaning on November 14, 2010 at 5:06 PM

This is disgusting and totally unacceptable. Unfortunately, those who sexually assaulted this toddler can’t be fired (union rules don’t you know). The larger question, is how far will this regime go to undermine our 4th Amendment rights? Instead of profiling potential terrorists, TSA targets everyone except the group who is mostly likely to attack the USA. If I were to show up in a burka (that would be a hoot), do you think TSA would frisk me like they did that little girl? NOT A CHANCE. This is total bovine excrement.

simkeith on November 14, 2010 at 5:07 PM

Exploding children must be stopped.

GoodBoy on November 14, 2010 at 5:08 PM

Hello, Boehner…here’s another issue you can get out in front of. Aside from that, this must stop. We must all refuse. All of us. Then we must demand profiling.

SouthernGent on November 14, 2010 at 5:10 PM

She was randomly flagged at the time of check-in, Ed. They didn’t take her toy away and THEN flag her. I agree that the Israelis have a more rational approach to airport screening, but I think it would be a mistake to discontinue random screening (precisely because it will include less suspect demographics).

And maybe it’s just me, but I don’t think coaching TSA agents how to interact with cranky toddlers is a great use of their time or my tax dollars. Indeed, I don’t think it’s too much to ask that the parents traveling with the child provide whatever comfort the child needs to get him or her through the minute long screening procedure. In this case, I couldn’t help notice, Dad was more interested in recording the incident than standing next to his crying child and telling her everything was ok. I wonder why.

Infidoll on November 14, 2010 at 5:11 PM

like Arabs Muslims do in Israel.

scotash on November 14, 2010 at 5:00 PM

There are Jewish Arabs.

Kini on November 14, 2010 at 5:11 PM

And another thing that pisses me off: If this was done to an illegal/anchor baby at the border the media would be in a uproar.

SouthernGent on November 14, 2010 at 5:11 PM

You tools commenting that the little girl is a “brat”, etc., obviously don’t have kids. 3 year olds see and react to the world much differently than adults.

As for the fact that they are doing this to small kids and the apologists who say “well, terrorists would use kids…” let me remind you of something called “totality of the circumstances”. it’s something they teach in law enforcement. In the event a child was being used for nefarious purposes such as trying to get explosives through airport security, THERE WOULD BE OTHER SIGNS.

In this instance, where are the ancillary signs of malfeasance? Is the mother acting out of character? Is the child? Trained operatives would have a hard time keeping a total poker face going through a checkpoint strapped with explosives or other weapons, you think you could train a child to do so?

If you think this nonsense is predicated on anything other than political correctness, you’re wrong.

It needs to stop.

Muledriver on November 14, 2010 at 5:11 PM

They also profile, something the Leftists in the US would never allow.

Del Dolemonte on November 14, 2010 at 5:12 PM

I had forgotten how good that song was.

bugsy on November 14, 2010 at 5:12 PM

sgtstogie on November 14, 2010 at 4:47 PM

Bingo!!!

I’ve been patted down in virtually every airport in Europe over the past couple of years, with the exception of Heathrow last week. And I was praying that it would have happened in Heathrow, after I saw 6 dudes dressed in Muslim garb.

Will that comment get me booted from HA?

Knucklehead on November 14, 2010 at 5:13 PM

I’m not an expert, but in the past I’ve heard people talk about how you can surgically implant an explosive that can’t be detected w/ the body scanner (or at least definitely not detected with a groping if one opts out of the scanning).

So, if one is sick enough to put explosives on their child’s body, what’s to say they wouldn’t surgically implant the explosives and no amount of touching is going to detect that.

On the surface this whole touching security just doesn’t seem to be worth the real intrusion.

MeatHeadinCA on November 14, 2010 at 5:15 PM

We teach our children that strangers are not allowed to touch them. This is a stranger who is touching her all over her body and the little girl is screaming “don’t touch me”. She is 3…how is she supposed to understand the difference between what you’ve taught her and what is happening to her? You’re darn right this little girl was accosted. If I had still had small children I would not be flying with them. This video made me sick.

EternalVigilance on November 14, 2010 at 5:15 PM

I get tired of hearing this.

“The Israelis have not had an incident in decades, thanks to a much more comprehensive but subtle approach that looks for actual clues to danger, rather than using a random-sample method.”

How many airports do they have…?
One ?
We have more than a hundred. We probably handle more passengers in one day than they do in a year. It is easy to screen passengers when there are only a few hundred and most of them are Israeli citizens.

NeoKong on November 14, 2010 at 5:16 PM

After 9/11 I was all for strict airline security with the knowledge that in the past it was always short-lived and America wold prevail.

Boy, was I wrong.

eforhan on November 14, 2010 at 5:18 PM

When a plane explodes in mid-air because a 3 year old sneaks a bomb in a teddy bear or a grandmother from Peoria lines her support hose with PETN, then I might grant that TSA needs to be groping every US passenger. Until then, not so much. They’re doing it mainly to demonstrate that they can, and with every additional intrusion the protections of the 4th amendment get weaker and weaker.

wordsson on November 14, 2010 at 5:18 PM

MeatHeadinCA on November 14, 2010 at 5:05 PM

I am not seeing her post, but it may be that some individuals are doing so. I think they are just afraid of law suits so they randomly flag people and then studiously ignore Muslims for the same reason.

As far as I know the TSA hasn’t stopped anybody.

sharrukin on November 14, 2010 at 5:19 PM

P R O F I L E!!!!!

Dingbat63 on November 14, 2010 at 4:52 PM

Mideastern men and anyone named Marcus.

Wade on November 14, 2010 at 5:19 PM

The new top seller at Amazon:

“The Pedophile’s Guide to Love and Pleasure: a TSA Agent’s Code of Conduct,” by Philip R. Greaves II

James on November 14, 2010 at 5:20 PM

I’ve flown nearly 200,000 miles so far in 2010 and I’m completely opposed to this latest manifestation of insanity. A choice between exposure to an X-Ray machine or a groping search, not only for me but for my wife and daughters? No way.

The only times security is this unpleasant in any of the many other countries I’ve flown out of is when the flight’s destination is the U.S. and the local authorities comply with U.S. demands.

Fly domestically sometime in Australia, Thailand, Austria, or Chile (to mention three countries I’ve tried this year) and experience the difference.

Obama’s and Big Sis Napolitano’s latest incursion against our civil rights manages to be simultaenously and outrage and a joke.

Drained Brain on November 14, 2010 at 5:20 PM

If you don’t like it drive. Simple.

Is it? You must not have much to do. Trust fund, maybe? Must be nice.

Muledriver on November 14, 2010 at 5:21 PM

How many airports do they have…?
One ?

NeoKong on November 14, 2010 at 5:16 PM

Probably more than 1. Further, they are targetted a lot more than we are and they live in a worse part of the world. Given their location, their security is quite impressive.

MeatHeadinCA on November 14, 2010 at 5:21 PM

First time a 4 year old is found to have smuggled a weapon or bomb onto a plane… this will make sense. Until then, it’s over bearing and increases airport security nada… Wasted resources. We know who blows up, and tries to blow up planes.
I suggest a bell curve based on recent history of high-jackings and other terrorist events involving air travel… Use say the last decade… Those who are at the top of the curve get searched 100% of the time. Age, race, country of origin, appearance, did I say age…
Those near the edges get the minimum attention unless they appear otherwise suspicious… A child freaking out because someone took her teddy bear is NORMAL…
Common sense has definitely left the building at the airport.

RalphyBoy on November 14, 2010 at 5:21 PM

This is the inevitable result of the PC crap the collectivists have been shoving down our throats for far too long. The blatantly obvious answer is to PROFILE!

My mother flies to Isreal regularly on El Al and is subjected to nothing more than a casual interview by trained proffesional, where they conduct PROFILING!

If a cop gets a report of a mugging where the perp snachted a bag, jumped a fence, and ran lickety-split down the block does it make any sense to bother with someone in a wheel chair.

Enough with the PC bullsh!t, fire the TSA, privatize airport security and hire the Isrealis.

Archimedes on November 14, 2010 at 5:21 PM

So now I have to tell my kids that it’s absolutely unacceptable for any stranger to touch them in their private areas, unless it’s a governmemt employee…

This seriously has to stop before our kids grow up into people who think this kind of thing is normal or, worse…desireable.

JohnTant on November 14, 2010 at 5:21 PM

As far as I know the TSA hasn’t stopped anybody.

sharrukin on November 14, 2010 at 5:19 PM

Sorry, she sent me the vid last night on FB.

I did read something I think on HA about how CAIR doesn’t want Muslim Women wearing Burqa’s to be patted down below the neck… You can just see where this is going.

Plus, remember the underwear bomber wasn’t stopped even though HE SHOULD have been! Basically, the argument is, We screwed up, so give us more power.

MeatHeadinCA on November 14, 2010 at 5:23 PM

Look, some kids are going to melt down for whatever reason, or none at all, regardless of how they’re treated. So a 3 y.o. throwing a tantrum doesn’t prove they are being molested.

That said, the WSJ clip about the El Al screening is enlightening. Their record speaks for itself. It’s so patantly logical search based on some intelligent, observed motivating factor(s).

Random selection will produce random results, which guarantees the bomb will get through. The random method is not just mindless, it’s dangerous.

Kenosha Kid on November 14, 2010 at 5:23 PM

NeoKong on November 14, 2010 at 5:16 PM

10 million passengers a year at Ben Guriun airport alone.

sharrukin on November 14, 2010 at 5:23 PM

Frankly, I think this is more about getting Americas used to being stripped searched and handled like cattle.

JellyToast on November 14, 2010 at 5:24 PM

All we eve needed to learn about airport security, we could’ve learned from Israel. We chose ignorance.

Thank you, Ed, for mentioning their method in this post.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on November 14, 2010 at 5:25 PM

MeatHeadinCA on November 14, 2010 at 5:23 PM

So the failure of government means we should reward government with more power to make up for that failure.

What could go wrong?

sharrukin on November 14, 2010 at 5:25 PM

Seems like the only way to escape extra attention is to deliberately *look* like a devout Muslim.

What a whacked out excuse for security. Theater is more like it,

JohnTant on November 14, 2010 at 5:25 PM

no one has the guts to do anything about the real problem

lowandslow on November 14, 2010 at 5:05 PM

Most people don’t have the guts to speak up about anything they see that is wrong.
This is why IMHO most people suck.
I have really had it the older I get with people in general.
I can’t stand most of them bcs when it comes down to it, you can hardly rely upon anyone you know to do the right thing.
It’s really hard to do the right thing, & I know personally I’ve often been vilified for it & even was ‘let go’ from a job for doing the right thing.
And I’d lose my job again in a heartbeat to do the right thing again bcs I can’t look in the mirror knowing I could have done something & didn’t.
Even something as simple as throwing a piece of garbage out the window or not picking up something on the floor in a dept store bothers me. Which is probably why I have very few friends bcs people are constantly disappointing.
People truly suck most of the time.

Badger40 on November 14, 2010 at 5:26 PM

Or teach your kid not to be a brat. That would help tremendously no doubt.

ButterflyDragon on November 14, 2010 at 5:27 PM

Someone (forget who) made the comment that the TSA needs to start being proactive in context of the larger security picture instead of simply over-reacting to yesterday’s threat. That’s the biggest point here. By allowing this system of intrusive pat-downs we’re essentially giving them the OK to continue to react instead of put working security measures in place.
I mean, where does it end? This isn’t going to stop determined terrorists. So what happens when the next plot succeeds or comes dangerously close to succeeding? Actual strip searches? If the TSAs MO is to react to anything that happened the day before by upping the ante the day after…that’s inevitably where it’s headed.

Muledriver on November 14, 2010 at 5:27 PM

NeoKong on November 14, 2010 at 5:16 PM

10 million passengers a year at Ben Guriun airport alone.

sharrukin on November 14, 2010 at 5:23 PM

Let him live in his fantasy world.

Badger40 on November 14, 2010 at 5:28 PM

Sad to see Ed link to one of Allah’s most idiotic posts ever. Hey Ed and Allah, the Democrats have an entire platform of idiotic nanny state do-goodism for “keeping us safe”. Maybe you should register Democratic and make it official.

besser tot als rot on November 14, 2010 at 5:28 PM

lots of self-centered and.or statist scum posting in this topic. Disgusting. Disgusting that these sort of unreasonable searches are even permitted or accepted.

The Fourth Amendment:

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

And sticking some clause gimmickry in a ticket purchase, or some tranzi bastards issuing regulations from their high offices do NOT trump those enumerated rights.

Resist this abrogation. Fight it in every manner you can muster, by voice, by letter or call. Physically and in person. FIGHT for your damned rights, America. Or lose them to an even greater degree.

rayra on November 14, 2010 at 5:28 PM

Or teach your kid not to be a brat. That would help tremendously no doubt.

ButterflyDragon on November 14, 2010 at 5:27 PM

Bcs as we all know, that is so easy to do.
Kid always do what you tell them to do.

Badger40 on November 14, 2010 at 5:29 PM

What could go wrong?

sharrukin on November 14, 2010 at 5:25 PM

We elect Obama again… what could go wrong? ;)

It’s just frustrating because instead of investigating the lack of efficiency or having a discussion of the best ways to catch terrorists, we simply impose an alleged random process on the entire population.

MeatHeadinCA on November 14, 2010 at 5:29 PM

I would rather have a few planes go down once in a while than submit to this nonsense. If somebody wants to beat security, the can. This isn’t accomplishing anything.

echosyst on November 14, 2010 at 5:30 PM

This isn’t accomplishing anything.

echosyst on November 14, 2010 at 5:30 PM

Well, intrusion by the gov’t is getting accomplished. Uhhh… people are going to hate flying even more. Seems like if you want the gov’t to get bigger or the American Consumer to stop using airlines, you might be getting closer to getting some accomplishments done.

MeatHeadinCA on November 14, 2010 at 5:32 PM

Our own Obama’s Political Correctness is destroying the whole travel industry

El Al is correct. Profiling works.

Kini on November 14, 2010 at 5:03 PM

It’s not mine, I would profile like El Al…

tinkerthinker on November 14, 2010 at 5:35 PM

So how well do these body scanners/pat downs work if I just take just the blade of a box-cutter and tape it to the bottom of my foot and put my socks over the top? I could then proceed to construct a pretty mean blade/shank in the bathroom using otherwise harmless objects and bingo 9/11 * 1000.

I’m sure the ‘just deal with it’ crowd will just get mad at me for pointing out just one of the holes in the system instead of realizing how stupid and intrusive this all is.

clement on November 14, 2010 at 5:36 PM

Ed, this a canard because what the TSA is doing now does nothing to keep us safe.

NotCoach on November 14, 2010 at 5:36 PM

Fail. As much as we don’t like the TSA, this case is not an argument to attack them. This kid suffered no indignity, and just threw a temper tantrum.

keep the change on November 14, 2010 at 5:37 PM

Get over it.

Might as well add more hotel space at airports. Getting to the airport 2-3 hours early will increase due to background checks, finger printing, full body cavity searches, stool samples, urine analysis, credit checks, retinal screening, and providing 3 references not including family.

No I won’t get over this. PROFILE.

Kini on November 14, 2010 at 5:37 PM

seriously. Way too many statist morons in this topic.

rayra on November 14, 2010 at 5:37 PM

Parents teach their kids not to allow anyone to touch them like that, and now parents are having to hold their children while it’s being done?

Craziness!!

ladyingray on November 14, 2010 at 5:37 PM

NotCoach on November 14, 2010 at 5:36 PM

Yes. It is a canard.

MeatHeadinCA on November 14, 2010 at 5:39 PM

Shame on you for a sloppy mischaracterization, Ed. Perhaps you didn’t realize it was the mother trying to restrain the child? This is exactly the type of kid that’s a nightmare on the plane, in the theater, and in the grocery store. You heard her father say …

Mandy wasn’t in the mood.

Not in the mood, eh? All the blame here goes right to the parents for failing to prepare their kid for travel. The news presenter said the kid …

searched against her will.

Well Ed, exactly how many people should we allow to board planes who won’t allow themselves to be cleared by security? And if we made exceptions for cranky children and elderly, how long do you suppose it would take for Mohammedans to exploit those exceptions?

There is no Right to Fly. If you want to use public airports, you better get in the mood to comply with personal searches. Anti-American terrorists are already enthused by their kindred spirit in the White House.

HelenW on November 14, 2010 at 5:39 PM

Or teach your kid terrorists not to be a brat terrorist. That would help tremendously no doubt.

ButterflyDragon on November 14, 2010 at 5:27 PM

Same difference.

Electrongod on November 14, 2010 at 5:40 PM

Craziness!!

ladyingray on November 14, 2010 at 5:37 PM

Bingo!

tinkerthinker on November 14, 2010 at 5:40 PM

I was praying that [pat-downs] would have happened in Heathrow, after I saw 6 dudes dressed in Muslim garb.

Knucklehead on November 14, 2010 at 5:13 PM

I think you just won a $2 million contract from Fox…

What’s next? We’re not going to use the words “white” or “male” in the APB after a rape, because that might insult whote men who are non-rapists?

Profiling IS the answer. Any middleeasterner living or traveling in the U.S. has to recognize that Muslim terrorists are the ones bringing this excess scrutinity down upon them. They have the means — in a six-degrees-of-separation sort of way, throught their mosques, family, or business connections — to turn these idiots over to the authorities, and instead they choose not to get involved.

All we’re talking about some added scrutinity at the airport here… not internment camps for the general population.

VastRightWingConspirator on November 14, 2010 at 5:40 PM

People truly suck most of the time.

Badger40 on November 14, 2010 at 5:26 PM

You sound like this guy!

Though I do sorta agree.

sharrukin on November 14, 2010 at 5:40 PM

All this whining about patdowns is ridiculous. Get over it.

Blake on November 14, 2010 at 4:32 PM

All this whining about the types of posts on this site is ridiculous. Get over it.

You can feel free to relinquish your freedoms. As for me, I believe in our Constitution. And treating everyone like a criminal and searching them illegally will not be supported by me.

BierManVA on November 14, 2010 at 5:42 PM

The TSA is a lawless, rogue organization that is terrorizing innocent Americans in order to put on a security theatre, will doing nothing to stop actual terrorists. This nonsense has got to stop.

Now they’re threatening innocent people with $10,000 fines if they refuse to have naked photos taken or get their genitals groped.

And before the “then just choose not to fly” crowd starts in, not that he did. He was just trying to leave to airport when the TSA goons tried to interrogate and threaten him.

CTD on November 14, 2010 at 5:44 PM

No! This is not making us safer. It is creating the illusion of safety instead of doing something about it — typical of the Obama administration. Terrorists will just come up with more creative and disgusting places to hide bombs that elude the scanners and gropings.

The real solutions are right in front of us: 1) seek the terrorists where they train and blow them up first and DO NOT apologize for it 2) take out any rogue nations that finance this cr@p and DO NOT apoliogize for it 3) profile profile profile 4) bomb sniffing dogs 5) more air marshals and 6) undercover cops in terminals.

Why are we not doing these common sense solutions? Because CAIR and the ACLU don’t like it! So instead we are making little girls accept gropings from strangers! This is pure insanity.

And to all of you calling the kid a ‘brat’ and saying “meh… they should have flown”. Quit being such fruck!ng pussies and blaming the kid or innocent families; try being real men and standing up to CAIR and ACLU and Janet Napalitano and demand some common sense from the TSA and the Obama administration!

bitsy on November 14, 2010 at 5:45 PM

The odds are a TSA agent will provoke a passenger, (particularly a parent with child) and the encounter will quickly escalate into something very ugly. It’s only a matter of time.

diogenes on November 14, 2010 at 5:45 PM

VastRightWingConspirator on November 14, 2010 at 5:40 PM

It’s their religion, it’s their problem. Either they do something about it, or else Deal With It.

Leave the rest of us alone.

Kini on November 14, 2010 at 5:46 PM