Video series: The Great Americans

posted at 9:30 am on November 11, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Meet John Finn, a veteran of World War II, Pearl Harbor survivor, and a living recipient of the Medal of Honor for his valor on December 7, 1941. Hit by shrapnel in 21 places, the chief remained in control of his ordnance crew, returning fire on Japanese airplanes throughout the entire attack, and only reluctantly seeking medical attention after the first blow of WWII on American shores had finished. Admiral Chester Nimitz presented the Medal of Honor, a ceremony seen during this seven minute interview by the site Great Americans, which tells the story of “ordinary people” who did “extraordinary deeds” in defense of their country:

Great Americans also has a stirring tribute to American veterans especially on this day that honors their service:

Be sure to visit the Great Americans site and watch their many fine videos, especially today on Veterans Day.

My family has many veterans, some (like my father, all four of my surviving uncles, and a number of my cousins and their families) who have served our country. We also have at least one or two currently in the service. My wife’s father passed away 19 years ago after having served in the Marine Corps in both WWII and Korea. I thank them all for their sacrifice, as well as our many readers who have served or are serving in our military for the defense of freedom and liberty.

Note: Yesterday was the 235th birthday of the Marine Corps, an event noted by Cassy Fiano in our Green Room. Happy birthday, Marines!

Comments

Thanks, great post! Where’s the kleenex?

scalleywag on November 11, 2010 at 9:39 AM

God Bless all of our Patriots

David in ATL on November 11, 2010 at 9:40 AM

Thank you.

Shy Guy on November 11, 2010 at 9:44 AM

Thanks

blatantblue on November 11, 2010 at 9:46 AM

A salute to all the veterans of my extended family, with apologies to all those I’ve yet to find

Joshua Hill – Revolutionary War – Continental Army
Shadrack Rowe – Revolutionary War – Continental Army
Robert Tripp – Revolutionary War – Continental Army
PVT Francis Alligood – Civil War – Company C, 3rd NC Artillery Regiment (40th NC Infantry)
1LT Macon Bonner – Civil War – Company B, 3rd NC Artillery Regiment (40th NC Infantry)
PVT Ransom Buck – Civil War – Company K, 17th NC Infantry Regiment
1SG David Allen Sikes – Civil War – Company H, 3rd NC Infantry
CPT William Henry Tripp – Civil War – Company B, 3rd NC Artillery Regiment (40th NC Inf.)
PVT Ivey H. Woolard – Civil War – Company B, 3rd NC Artillery Regiment (40th NC Infantry)
Believed KIA in the retreat from Wilmington
PVT Stephen Wiley Woolard – Civil War – Company C, 3rd NC Artillery Regiment (40th NC Inf.)
PVT Thomas Addison Yeates – Civil War – Company K, 17th NC Infantry Regiment
PVT Maggie Marvin Buck – WWII – Women’s Army Corps
SA Vernon Corbin Canady – WWII – US Navy
PVT William M. Canady – WWII – US Army
AMMH/3 Charles Gorham Clark – WWII – US Navy
PVT Redding Boyd Cutler – WWII – 385th Anti-aircraft Battalion, US Army
MMS Walter Raleigh Cutler – WWII, Korea, Vietnam – USN
SN Russell Langley Daniels – WWII – USN – USS Saratoga (CV-3)
PVT Harold Fitzhugh Eagles – WWII – US Army – Purple Heart
FC3 Dupree Lee Edwards – WWII – USN – USS Yorktown (CV-5)
KIA – Battle of the Coral Sea
PFC Curtis Clayton Toler– Korea – US Army
SGT Fredrick Brown Woolard Sr. – Korea – USAF
MM1 Albert B. Jefferson – Vietnam – USN
RMSM Bruce Donald Lewis Jr. – Vietnam – USN
TSGT Jeffrey Allen Finigan – Desert Storm – 4th EMS Sq, 4th TF, USAF

ironmonger69 on November 11, 2010 at 9:46 AM

Great post Ed, thanks for putting this up today! :-)

Here’s the challenge I present to the Passengers on my plane to win a free drink if they can give the name of one …

“Since 2003, between Iraq and Afghanistan, we’ve had seven posthumous Medal of Honor Recipients in the War on Terror. Can you name even one of them? No? Ok, next question, can you name an American Idol winner?” (Nobody gets a free drink for THAT!) “Think about it, you can name a game show contestant, but not a Medal of Honor Recipient. What does that say about our society?
Here are their names: Ross MacGinnis, Micheal Murphy, Micheal Monsoor, Jason Dunham, Paul Smith, Jared Monti and Robert Miller.
Please remember at least one of these names, these brave men gave their lives for our freedom and our way of life and they deserve to be immortalized.”

(We also now have one living Medal of Honor Recipient, Salvatore Giunta. God bless you, Sir.)

(Before 9/11, we had two posthumous Medal of Honor Recipients in the War Against Islamic Terrorism, Gary Gordon and Randy Shughart and they too should be remembered.)

Tony737 on November 11, 2010 at 9:47 AM

ironmonger69 on November 11, 2010 at 9:46 AM

WOW! All the way back to the Revolution! That’s awesome!

Tony737 on November 11, 2010 at 9:49 AM

I thought John Finn died this year. I had the chance to meet him twice along with several other recipients. All great men!

matthew26 on November 11, 2010 at 9:50 AM

John Finn, RIP, passed in May 2010. I need to go back, but another great MOH recipient passed this year too.

matthew26 on November 11, 2010 at 9:52 AM

ironmonger69 on November 11, 2010 at 9:46 AM

Well done!

scalleywag on November 11, 2010 at 9:53 AM

oops sorry double posted — thought it didnt go through.

I’d like to make a shout out to an old friend of mine, Robert.

We met in college. He was a Marine vet. Was part of invasion tip in 2001 in Afghanistan, and then again in 2003 in Iraq. He clearly had a lot of pent up emotions and issues in his post war life. Lots of physical problems. Had been shot, stabbed in a cave in Afghanistan, and then IED’d in Iraq. Back surgeries, spinal issues, etc.

He was a really charming, intelligent, and great guy. Wanted to be a professor After we graduated, I was unable to find him. His cell number is gone, I cannot find him in any directories, and other friends from college who knew him cannot find him either. I don’t know where he went. I don’t know where he is, but I hope eventually one of us can find out his location.

blatantblue on November 11, 2010 at 9:54 AM

ironmonger69 on November 11, 2010 at 9:46 AM

Are all the babies in your family born spitting bullets????

Shy Guy on November 11, 2010 at 9:58 AM

Thanks Ed. Excellent post.

ted c on November 11, 2010 at 9:59 AM

RIP to my great uncle buster

he was a tail gunner for a b-17 (i cant remember exactly) in the European Theatre in WWII

got shot down twice, and survived over 30 missions. Died three years ago.

blatantblue on November 11, 2010 at 10:01 AM

Thanks for posting these, Ed!

Godspeed.

Neil McEvoy
CTRC, USN-RET

Corky on November 11, 2010 at 10:01 AM

ironmonger69 on November 11, 2010 at 9:46 AM

Awesome!!

Ted Torgerson on November 11, 2010 at 10:01 AM

Great post Ed. To all veterans, thanks for your service.

Hog Wild on November 11, 2010 at 10:04 AM

Wait shouldnt the president teleprompter be out apologizing somewhere today?

blatantblue on November 11, 2010 at 10:09 AM

Are all the babies in your family born spitting bullets????
Shy Guy on November 11, 2010 at 9:58 AM

Yes! Actually, if you get into genealogy, you’ll find this is nothing unusual for most folks. I never knew a lot of these guys (and gals) existed, let alone their service, so I felt it my duty to acknowledge them in my miniscule way, as they have mostly passed into history with little fanfare, as true heros so often do.

ironmonger69 on November 11, 2010 at 10:09 AM

God Bless all of our veterans. I hope everyone will forgive me for making this a special personal shout out with this link.

Cindy Munford on November 11, 2010 at 10:11 AM

Navy Chief !
Navy Pride !

RIP Chief Finn

moc23 on November 11, 2010 at 10:14 AM

ironmonger69 on November 11, 2010 at 10:09 AM

That’s a badass family tree

or more like a family thorn bush

blatantblue on November 11, 2010 at 10:15 AM

The Veterans Day Montage Clip on the site is a superb tribute and a great song by Norah Jones. Thanks for sharing the site.

scalleywag on November 11, 2010 at 10:16 AM

I had the chance to meet him twice along with several other recipients. – Matthew26

How did you manage to meet this hero once let alone twice???

/jealous

Tony737 on November 11, 2010 at 10:21 AM

I met the father of Jared Monti (MoH) …

Tony737 on November 11, 2010 at 10:25 AM

Thanks for this thread today Ed. I have two serving. One in the Navy and one in the Army. My Navy son just returned from deployment off the coast of North Korea. He is in damage control and has risked his life on a few occasions to put out fires on his destroyer. My Army son is infantry Air Assault serving with the 101st in Afghanistan. If you watched Geraldo’s special a few weeks ago my son can be seen in the ranks. Last week he was wounded in a white phosphorous RPG attack and will receive the Purple Heart for those injuries.

In both their cases they embody the spirit dedication and humility that is the hallmark of the American warrior. As George Orwell said, we all sleep safe at knight because rough men and women stand ready to visit violence on those that would do us harm.

God bless them all, past, present, and future!

csdeven on November 11, 2010 at 10:32 AM

Neil – When did you retire?

Larry Mishoe
CTRC – USN Ret (71-92)

Larr on November 11, 2010 at 10:39 AM

A special shout-out to my youngest son who just left for USAF Basic in Lackland the day before yesterday.

Got the mandatory phone call at 3:00 AM Wednesday—it sounded more like a ransom demand! LOL I’m sure you vets know what I’m talking about.

Miss him already. He’s going to be in Basic for Thanksgiving, his birthday, Christmas and New Years. UGH. The Air Force is the only branch that doesn’t interrupt Basic for Christmas :-( But at least the weather will be good. Right?!?

A great big THANK YOU to all our wonderful vets, including my husband and my brothers, cousins and friends (VietNam–Army, Marines, and Air Force), Dad and uncles(WWII, Korea–Navy, Air Force and Army).

And another special shout-out to my uncle “Kit” who retired several years ago from the Air Force as a Chief Master Sergeant.

And a special tribute to my cousin John Patrick, killed in VietNam at the tender age of 19. May God grant you eternal peace and may He comfort all who loved and remember you.

God bless all of you!

IrishEi on November 11, 2010 at 10:42 AM

How did you manage to meet this hero once let alone twice???

Tony737 on November 11, 2010 at 10:21 AM

First time was in Phoenix at the 2005 MoH Society convention.

The second was in San Diego. I was in the fortunate situation of working for a DoD contractor that sponsored the living MoH display that toured TRICARE’s West Region.

I got to meet many of the living recipients throughout the western states and also got to meet Hal Moore and Joe Galloway (We were soldiers once and young).

matthew26 on November 11, 2010 at 11:04 AM

IrishEi on November 11, 2010 at 10:42 AM

I was fortunate enough to serve in the Army and go through basic during the holidays. We did get to break for Christmas exodus. I did however, miss my 21st birthday and Thanksgiving while in basic.

matthew26 on November 11, 2010 at 11:07 AM

If you aren’t familiar with the Pritzker Military Library, check it out. The Medal of Honor series interviews recipients of the award:

novaculus on November 11, 2010 at 11:11 AM

My hat off to all past and present veterans, and those currently serving. A big thanks.

Never forget you’re born from We The People.

darwin on November 11, 2010 at 11:19 AM

matthew26 on November 11, 2010 at 11:07 AM

Thanks for commiserating! We hope to celebrate with him at graduation in January. He doesn’t get any leave until after Tech School.

IrishEi on November 11, 2010 at 11:24 AM

I, retired United States Air Force Master Sergeant Robert Steely, thank all current and former vets and also send tribute to:

Retired USAF Technical Sergent David Steely (my older brother)

Retired USN CW02 William Carter (my father-in-law)
Active-duty United States Air Force Master Sergeant Anthony Beasley (brother-in-law)
Active-duty United States Air Force Master Sergeant Jim Beasley (brother-in-law)
Active-duty United States Army Major James Rich (brother-in-law)

Also thanks to retired United States Air Force Colonel William Carter, Sr (deceased, my wife’s grandfather) – Korea and Vietnam

And to my father, retired United States Air Force Master Sergeant Forrest Steely – WWII, Korea and Vietnam. My Dad served in the Army in WWII and entered the Air Force upon it’s creation as a separate force in 1947. He turned 87 years old back in August. He served over 31 years TAFMS in two separate service branches in three different wars. Not served during three different wars, but in three different wars – an Infantryman in WWII, a bomber aircrew member in Korea and finally as a medic in Vietnam.

And to my family members who served, but didn’t retire – Robert Steely, Unites States Army (my oldest brother); Bobby Steely, United States Marine Corps (my nephew) and Linda Carter, United States Navy (my mother-in-law).

Again, thanks to those who went before and those who continue to serve now.

catmman on November 11, 2010 at 11:26 AM

Excellent post, Ed.

Thank you.

dogsoldier on November 11, 2010 at 11:27 AM

And where is our illustrious Commander in Chief today? Will he bother to thank our vets? He commemorated Mumbai, but ignored the 1-year anniversary of the Fort Hood jihadi massacre. Ba$tard.

IrishEi on November 11, 2010 at 11:28 AM

After WWII we had 16 million people in uniform in a country of 132 million and everyone knew someone in the military.

Today in a country of 310 million we have less than 1.5 million people in uniform and less than 3% of Americans actually knows someone in uniform. Heck, I spent 28 years in uniform and I’m down to 3 people I know who still wear a uniform including my broker’s son who I email but have never met. The other two were guys I worked with and both of them are nearing retirement.

Do you know someone currently in the military?

E9RET on November 11, 2010 at 11:35 AM

Like we could ever thank them enough… Thank You

The Expert Knows

HAExpert on November 11, 2010 at 11:37 AM

Thatnks to my grandfather….WWI
To my dad…USS Columbia (WWII) and Vietnam
My brother Mike USA;Iraq;Afghanistan
My nephews Scott and Paul USA;Iraq;Afghanistan
My son (not a vet, but went to Afghanistan as DOD Contractor supporting USMC Radio Battalion)

L Mishoe
USN Ret (71-92)

Larr on November 11, 2010 at 11:39 AM

Semper Fi

the Coondawg on November 11, 2010 at 11:49 AM

My parents met in an Army hospital in Chattanooga in 1944, where they both got their medical training. They were married quickly at Ft. Knox in January 1945, with rings bought at the PX, because he had his orders for the invasion of the Japanese mainland and did not expect to return. Lucky for them, and for me and my siblings, he never had to go.

May God bless the souls of all those who did go, and died for freedom.

rockmom on November 11, 2010 at 12:12 PM

Thanks to my Granfather WWII Navy, Supply SGT

my Dad Korea Navy, Machinist Mate 1st Class USS Wasp

my 3 Uncles 1 Chopper Pilot, Vietnam; 2 Infantry, Vietnam

Brother-in-Law Infantry, Vietnam

my Brother 1st Gulf War, Navy, Nuclear Submarine Navigator

and my Son Master Sgt Air Guard, Language Analyst, currently in Kenya

And to all who have served or currently serve, may God Bless you and keep you safe.

Lily on November 11, 2010 at 12:22 PM

I want to thank all veterans, past, present and future, for stepping up and serving our country, protecting our freedoms, and keeping our country the great country that it is. From the bottom of my heart, I thank you all.

karenhasfreedom on November 11, 2010 at 12:24 PM

Thank you for your Bravery. Honor. Sacrifice. For pride of our flag. For keeping us safe. Thank you most of all for loving our country.

TN Mom

TN Mom on November 11, 2010 at 12:29 PM

Wow. Ed can you make sure this post stays on top today? Everyone needs to see it.

ctmom on November 11, 2010 at 12:31 PM

Thank God our country has such wonderful men, women, and families of those who have and are now defending our Republic. A thank you somehow doesn’t seem enough, but I will say it, THANK YOU ALL.
L

letget on November 11, 2010 at 12:32 PM

Thank-You,all Veterans,of all Wars,your courage,your sacrifi
ces,and your resolute honour.

Thank-You,to the Great-Grandmothers,Grandmothers,Mothers
and daughters,who throughout history,were the backbone,
and on the factory floors,and who held down the Fort,
while the Men,were at War!

Thank-You America,for your Leadership on the War on Terror,
for being the Leader of the Free World,and for those that
are at the Tip of the Spear,and all along the Watch Towers.

I`m proud,that Canada,like WW2,is still working alongside
my American neighbour in the Fight For Freedom!

I will let Gordon Sinclair speak,for my mind-set,regarding
America:)
===============

The Americans: A Canadian’s Opinion By Gordon Sinclair

canopfor on November 11, 2010 at 12:48 PM

Cagney, “You’re a Grand Old Flag”, from Yankee Doodle Dandy(1942)

canopfor on November 11, 2010 at 12:51 PM

The Warrior Song

canopfor on November 11, 2010 at 12:52 PM

Google has an American flag commemorating Veteran’s Day in their logo today.

That mystery contrail may have been from a flying pig.

pain train on November 11, 2010 at 1:18 PM

Thanks Ed, for posting on great american veterans.

Veteran’s day gives me an opportunity to share a post about my father, a decorated veteran, who was ousted posthumously from the Pechanga Band of Luiseno Indians. I’d appreciate a look. Also, there is a post on his sister, also a veteran, who, while in Washington DC, babysat for Gerald R. Ford’s kids.

Origina Pechanga’s Blog

THANK YOU, Veterans for your service to OUR Country. Thank you for allowing US to be FREE.

originalpechanga on November 11, 2010 at 1:22 PM

Pain Train – Saw that..but is that the islamic cresent coming out from under it…and most US flags I know of don’t have that many stripes…..

Larr on November 11, 2010 at 1:33 PM

I unsuccessfully tried to explain to a clueless Leftist acquaintance last night that not all members of the military carry guns or kill people. In fact, many of them carry nothing more threatening than a potato peeler.

He couldn’t understand what I was saying. In the warped world of the Left, all soldiers are evil.

A salute to my Dad, who served Americans in the service by spending a month at a time on weather station in the North Atlantic. Before weather satellites and GPS, “weather station” ships were what helped planes and ships cross the oceans safely.

Salute to my Uncle, who served in the US Navy in World War 2 and is still with us. Likewise a shout out to his cousin, who is also still with us. He was a P-38 pilot in the Aleutian Islands in the same war.

And a well-done to the husband of one of my cousins, who is a JAG and last year spent several months in Baghdad teaching Iraqi lawyers.

Del Dolemonte on November 11, 2010 at 2:22 PM

My grandfather observed this day as Armstice Day. He served with the Canadian Expeditionary Forces during WWI and was awarded the Military Cross for ‘conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty’ in the trenches of France.

My Canadian parents and their siblings observed this day as Rememberance Day. My father and most of my uncles served with the Royal Canadian Air Force or Army during WWII including an uncle who flew two full tours over Europe as the radioman/bombadier aboard a night bomber.

None of them were career military. They were simply ordinary men who stepped up with extraordinary valor when their country needed them most.

My parents moved to the US not long after the end of WWII. My brothers and I were raised to honor and support all who serve in the military.

One of the proudest moments of my becoming an American citizen was swearing the Oath of Alligiance that “I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same” these words being identical to a portion of the Oath of newly commissioned US military officers. Of course, I have never been asked for even a small fraction of the sacrifice of those who serve their country in the military, but I hold my oath as no less sacred, in great part because of my parents’ belief in the greatness of America.

My dear father-in-law was career US Air Force, retiring after 23 years of service, part of which was during the Vietnam years. He was a man of honor, courage and integrity. He passed on those ideals in full to his son. While my husband is not in the military himself, he is a DoD contractor who builds miltary flight simulators – Navy helo sims at the moment – and who works tirelessly in support of the military’s needs and objectives.

To all those who have served and those who continue to serve, my deepest and most humble thanks.

Kirin on November 11, 2010 at 2:31 PM

Try this again
=================

blatantblue on November 11, 2010 at 9:43 AM

blatantblue:Thanks for posting that picture BB,it always
reminds me of the Fireman/Oklahoma/baby image!:)
===========================================================

canopfor on November 11, 2010 at 3:01 PM

Veterans Day 2010
From the Marine Corps:

The nation’s elite fighting force celebrates its 235th birthday on November 10th, 2010. Since the inception of the Marine Corps in 1775, thousands of brave men and women have answered a call to serve our country and protect its freedom.

canopfor on November 11, 2010 at 3:19 PM

In honor of my uncle, Jon E. Swanson, who posthumously received the Medal of Honor from President Bush on May 1, 2002 for his actions in Cambodia during the Vietnam War.

Also for my father, who was lucky enough to serve between wars, stationed in Japan.

For my grandfather, Howard E. Swanson who served as a doctor in North Africa during WWII.

For my other grandfather, Frank Leader, who desperately wanted to serve during WWII but wasn’t allowed to because his skills were needed here in the US. He was with them in spirit and did his time state-side.

Common Sense on November 11, 2010 at 3:20 PM

canopfor on November 11, 2010 at 12:48 PM

And our allied veterans are, of course, included in our thanks and blessings.

Cindy Munford on November 11, 2010 at 4:04 PM

I met John Finn at a Pearl Harbor Commemoration a few years back. He was fantastic. A salty Sailor who did not put on airs. When he started speaking, he told the audience that he could go on forever, so the head Ranger at the Pearl Harbor Memorial had told him he would stop John when time was up. Then John just started talking. When the Ranger gently touched John to let him know time was up, the Ranger was roundly booed by the audience. Roundly booed.

I talked to him afterwards. One VP Sailor saying hello to another. I had to wait my turn as he was surrounded by many, many, many people wanting to meet this fantastic man. So, I got to observe my shipmate John in action. He had a perpetual smile on his face. Never left him. And this is the best part. Any woman and I mean any woman who got withing arm’s reach of him had to give him a hug and a kiss. Which they all did with pleasure. John was so full of life.

When I finally got to talk to him, I told him that he was quite the sea dog. He looked at me with a puzzled look and I said that it seems he is quite the ladies’ man. He just beamed, a twinkle in his eye.

I met another shipmate a year or so later who knew John very well. He told me that if John told you to stop by his house in California (which he did pretty often to fellow Sailors), he meant it with all his heart. He was just a regular guy.

He was one of the most humble and down to earth men I have ever met and I count myself proud that I could call him my shipmate.

Rest in peace, John Finn. Fair wind and following seas.

NavyMustang on November 11, 2010 at 6:25 PM

canopfor on November 11, 2010 at 12:48 PM
=====================
And our allied veterans are, of course, included in our thanks and blessings.

Cindy Munford on November 11, 2010 at 4:04 PM

Cindy Munford:Yes,as were close Allies,its a given,and thank
-you for reposting the Man in the Door:)

canopfor on November 11, 2010 at 8:18 PM

thanks to all the veterans
we owe you more than we can repay

I never met Uncle Jerry – KIA on Iwo
But his brothers Bill and Bob told us about him

All 3 were USMC Bill passed a few years back and Bob (my Dad) lives on at 83

wjmtexas on November 11, 2010 at 10:06 PM

They went with songs to the battle, they were young.
Straight of limb, true of eyes, steady and aglow.
They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted,
They fell with their faces to the foe.
They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
We will remember them.