PPP: Palin now leading in Texas, Maine, Wisconsin, West Virginia

posted at 6:40 pm on November 11, 2010 by Allahpundit

I touched on this in the RomneyCare post, but I know Palin fans would be angry if we didn’t devote a separate post to the results. So here you go. Just proving our fair-and-balanced bona fides ahead of the inevitable Townhall/Hot Air presidential debate next year.

The most important state to the nomination process on this list is Florida and there Romney’s ahead with 28% to 22% for Palin and 15% for Newt Gingrich and Mike Huckabee. It should be noted that although Romney does have the lead, it’s a much less lofty one than what he posted in a March PPP poll of the state when he had 44%. The only other candidates included in that poll were Palin and Huckabee and we’re finding more and more as we do these polls that when new folks are added into the mix it tends to hurt Romney more than anyone else. His support is less solid than Palin’s and Huckabee’s so even though he looks like a very nominal front runner at this point, he’s also the candidate most likely to see his support collapse as things heat up

Palin holds small leads in the remaining states. Most noteworthy is her strength in Texas and West Virginia, which suggests a bid from her could really hurt Mike Huckabee in the South. In Texas she gets 22% to 20% for Huckabee and 15% for both Gingrich and Romney. In West Virginia she’s at 25% to 22% for Huckabee and again 15% for both Gingrich and Romney. These margins are obviously very close but they nevertheless pose trouble for Huckabee and perhaps even more so Gingrich if she ends up making a bad because strength in the South would be vital to either of their prospects.

Romney may not have a complete strangle hold on New England- Palin gets 23% in Maine to 18% for Romney, 16% for Huckabee, and 14% for Gingrich. Those numbers should give folks who think there’s no chance Maine Republicans would nominate someone far right against Olympia Snowe in 2012 second thoughts. And finally Palin gets 18% in Wisconsin to 15% for Huckabee, 14% for Gingrich, and 12% for Romney. Pawlenty has his best non-Minnesota performance so far at 8%, not surprising given that it’s right next door. And Pawlenty’s unusually strong Wisconsin number helps to explain Romney’s unusually weak Wisconsin number.

The numbers in West Virginia and Texas aren’t surprising; obviously she and Huck will compete for southern and rural voters, and her name recognition’s higher than his at the moment. Wisconsin’s a surprise, though, and Maine is a big surprise. As happy as Sarahcuda must be to see these numbers, Romney must be utterly deflated. Down five points already in his own backyard? And note the boldfaced bit, please — that’s exactly the point Frum was making in the column I linked earlier about Mitt’s support being momentarily broad but potentially only an inch deep. If, as he and I have speculated, much of Romney’s support comes from centrists who are simply looking for an alternative to Palin, then he’s at risk of flaming out as soon as a more attractive centrist alternative to him emerges. Which raises a question that’s been asked before: Does Mitt actually need Palin to run in order to maximize his chances? Right now he’s the Great Centrist Hope, the guy who can potentially head her off because of his fundraising and organizational skills. If she decides not to run, then he’s just the guy responsible for RomneyCare, who needs to sell himself as somehow superior to Daniels and Thune. And of course, without Palin in the race, Huckabee would stand to clean up among social cons, which would in itself present a challenge to Romney. Then again, given how much contempt most of our commenters seem to have for Huck, maybe having him pose a serious threat for the nomination would actually restore Romney as the Great Centrist Hope and unite people behind him. I’m giving myself a migraine here.

Just breaking as I write this: Palin’s announced the itinerary for her new book tour, and of 16 scheduled stops, two of them are in Iowa. Hmmmm. Exit question: Is super-genius Nancy Pelosi right that the odds against The One being reelected are now long and he’ll have to run a simply perfect campaign to pull it off? Exit answer from Larry Sabato: No, dummy.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

I’d vote for her, but no one I know would.

profitsbeard on November 11, 2010 at 7:28 PM

I’d vote for her also, so that’s two.

Time will tell, indeed. However, when people bring up that same argument, “her negatives”, I look over a Mitt, Huck, and a few others, and I don’t have the same enthusiasm

Kini on November 11, 2010 at 7:32 PM

IowaWoman on November 11, 2010 at 7:30 PM

Nicely stated.. I believe you’re right.

Keemo on November 11, 2010 at 7:34 PM

canopfor on November 11, 2010 at 7:31 PM
==========
LOL!..:)

Dire Straits on November 11, 2010 at 7:32 PM

Dire Straits:)

canopfor on November 11, 2010 at 7:34 PM

History tends to repeat, rinse, and repeat

One only has to look at how the LSM demonized, laughed at, ridiculed a B actor named Reagan. Different gender backgrounds, but the parallels are striking.

Kini on November 11, 2010 at 7:27 PM

If Obama continues as Jimmy Carter II, it will be 1980 all over again, with Romney playing the role of George Bush and Palin as Reagan. Don’t forget that Bush won Iowa and had the “big mo” until Reagan told the guy in New Hampshire “I paid for this microphone!” I could totally see a moment like that for Palin.

Personally, I don’t think she holds a candle to Reagan, but then nobody does. But the circumstances are looking eerily similar.

I still would rather see Romney drop out and forget it. If the party wants someone other than Palin, there are some better alternatives out there.

rockmom on November 11, 2010 at 7:34 PM

I’ll just be happy if its not Mitt.

El_Terrible on November 11, 2010 at 6:59 PM

I’ll vote for anyone not named Obama. Daffy Duck could beat the Lame Duck in Chief.

That said, Sarah Palin has more than enough “gravitas.” Anybody read her fisking of the QE2 at NRO? She understands the issues better than the pointy-headed Ivy Leaguers screwing up the economy and can put them in terms that ordinary Americans can understand.

Reminds me of the first presidential candidate I voted for and was proud to do so … Ronald Reagan.

By the way, it’s sad to see Reagan’s son Michael throwing the candidate most like his father under the bus by believing the GOP Establishment’s smears of her.

As El Rushbo says, the Left – and by extension the GOP Establishment – will tell us who they fear the most.

pdigaudio on November 11, 2010 at 7:34 PM

This is really irritating. We don’t need another bloody primary season in 2012 draining off money and making Republicans mad at each other. A couple of these people have got to stand down for the good of the party, and the nation.

rockmom on November 11, 2010 at 7:29 PM

I don’t see it. The Palin fans will demand a third party if she isn’t coronated. Read the comments from several posters from the past several weeks about how if the Rinos aren’t purged, then a third party or voting democrat is a viable option for them.

Vashta.Nerada on November 11, 2010 at 7:34 PM

Bristol is still dancin’. Nuff said.

Kissmygrits on November 11, 2010 at 6:56 PM
This actually is a pretty good indicator that Palin isn’t as despised or unelectable as the Soros/Axelrod trolls who flood Palin posts would like us to believe.

CCRWM on November 11, 2010 at 7:28 PM

It is funny to see the progression of comments on Bristol has she continues to win.

the first week or so they laughed, the next couple of weeks they cried, now they are shouting, It’s like watch liberals loss their freaking minds over an 8 week period. Priceless.

i can’t wait to see them lose it over SPAK.

unseen on November 11, 2010 at 7:35 PM

You’re joking, right?

Vashta.Nerada on November 11, 2010 at 7:26 PM

No, I’m not.
Have you compared their records?
Sarah accomplished quite a bit as Governor.
Neither Bush nor Clinton did.

Jenfidel on November 11, 2010 at 7:35 PM

Very much so,and remember,Sarah said,if no one steps
up,she will!:)

canopfor on November 11, 2010 at 7:29 PM

This is why they are talking about debates so early in the game, still too early

Kini on November 11, 2010 at 7:36 PM

I am having to sort through and figure out who the newbies are, troll or ally in the comments. If someone will name who getalife’s newest incarnations are, please help an oldster out.
TIA

OmahaConservative on November 11, 2010 at 6:56 PM

What amazes me is that the trolls paid by Soros/Axelrod think that they are slick and that we don’t know that they are coordinated and dispatched to keep a constant drumbeat going that Palin is unelectable or a joke or whatever their meme for the day is. The objective obviously is to say it long and loud enough so that it becomes true. Nobody has to organize me and many of you to keep up our support and refudiation of the misinformation campaign. Soros be jealous that you have to pay for it and Palin gets it from many many us for free.

CCRWM on November 11, 2010 at 7:36 PM

Vashta.Nerada on November 11, 2010 at 7:34 PM

Yeah, sort of like Joe Miller when he lost the Republican primary. Or Rubio, when he lost to Crist. They went third party and all.

MeatHeadinCA on November 11, 2010 at 7:37 PM

rockmom on November 11, 2010 at 7:34 PM

Like who?

Jenfidel on November 11, 2010 at 7:37 PM

I believe that the election would be assured if the republicans ran a ticket to please everyone: Palin/Romney or Romney/Palin. I said this a year ago, and I still believe it would be a winner although my regard for Mitt has waned tremendously since 2008. He has really been a weasel throughout the midterms. He never goes out on a limb with a solid opinion and tends to endorse only when it’s safe. Not very inspiring. However, Palin anywhere on the ticket would give it the excitement and conservative vision and credentials necessary to win the White House.

KickandSwimMom on November 11, 2010 at 7:38 PM

MeatHeadinCA on November 11, 2010 at 7:37 PM

You can’t prove a theory by demonstrating the opposite.

Vashta.Nerada on November 11, 2010 at 7:39 PM

rockmom on November 11, 2010 at 7:34 PM

That scenario might play itself out in the end.

Either way, Palin is an asset, rather than a detriment

Kini on November 11, 2010 at 7:39 PM

Vashta.Nerada on November 11, 2010 at 7:34 PM

I’ve never seen any comments like this on HA.
Are you drinking?
Even Honda and Pappy, who are the hardest on the GOP, haven’t said things like this..or if they did, I must have missed it.

Jenfidel on November 11, 2010 at 7:39 PM

then a third party or voting democrat is a viable option for them.

Vashta.Nerada on November 11, 2010 at 7:34 PM

Yeap the RINOs in 2010 showed us how its done. We will take Crist, Lisa’s, and Castle examples to heart. No endorsements of RINO’s in conservative states (in fact we will attack them and call them sluts and nut jobs) if we don’t win primaries we go third party letting the RINO and the dem fight over the vote and in the worse case we have spelling bees and attack the RINO as unfit to serve.

I’ve got to thank the RINOs for showing us how to do it

unseen on November 11, 2010 at 7:40 PM

unseen on November 11, 2010 at 7:35 PM

I pretty much avoid the Leftist Media… I mean why help them try to demoralize me or confuse me with their constant attacks against my values but anyway, I did hear from a friend that they are pissed that Bristol still hasn’t been eliminated.

CCRWM on November 11, 2010 at 7:40 PM

You can’t prove a theory by demonstrating the opposite.

Vashta.Nerada on November 11, 2010 at 7:39 PM

What theory is someone trying to prove?

Claim: You’re the one making baseless claims of Palin going third party when she has shown strong support for her Republican party.

MeatHeadinCA on November 11, 2010 at 7:41 PM

Jenfidel on November 11, 2010 at 7:35 PM

Quick Question? ..If Miller turned on Palin and went to Huck why did her Pac just give Miller $ 5,000 to help with the recount?..:)

Dire Straits on November 11, 2010 at 7:41 PM

KickandSwimMom on November 11, 2010 at 7:38 PM

While it could happen, I can see her supporters yelling ‘sellout!’ if it does.

Vashta.Nerada on November 11, 2010 at 7:41 PM

or if they did, I must have missed it.

Jenfidel on November 11, 2010 at 7:39 PM

Do a search. I read the posts.

Vashta.Nerada on November 11, 2010 at 7:42 PM

Either way, Palin is an asset, rather than a detriment

Kini on November 11, 2010 at 7:39 PM

I agree..She is an asset to the Republican Party..:)

Dire Straits on November 11, 2010 at 7:43 PM

MeatHeadinCA on November 11, 2010 at 7:41 PM

No, I claimed her supporters would.

Vashta.Nerada on November 11, 2010 at 7:43 PM

I’ve got to thank the RINOs for showing us how to do it

unseen on November 11, 2010 at 7:40 PM

I know. I kind of want to be a RINO – gracious in all the victories coming their way.

MeatHeadinCA on November 11, 2010 at 7:43 PM

Do a search. I read the posts.

Vashta.Nerada on November 11, 2010 at 7:42 PM

You are correct..:)

Dire Straits on November 11, 2010 at 7:44 PM

Dire Straits on November 11, 2010 at 7:41 PM

More like “trick question” and it’s more than 1 question.
Did Miller “turn on Palin and go to Huck?” (Never heard that.)
Sarah’s been behind Miller from the beginning: in fact, she probably is the reason he won the GOP primary in the first place.
What *was* your question?

Jenfidel on November 11, 2010 at 7:44 PM

Dire Straits on November 11, 2010 at 7:41 PM

Because Palin has class. same reason Palin defended juan williams, same reason she defended Dan Fagan in AK when Lisa got him booted from the air. Palin believes that AK is more important than petty politcal points. If Miller was of the same caliber in character he would be the one up 5pts today….

unseen on November 11, 2010 at 7:45 PM

Do a search. I read the posts.

Vashta.Nerada on November 11, 2010 at 7:42 PM

I read them, too and no, I’m not going to do a search because you’re just making things up.

Jenfidel on November 11, 2010 at 7:45 PM

No, I claimed her supporters would.

Vashta.Nerada on November 11, 2010 at 7:43 PM

And what’s your evidence for this? The only evidence I can think of that I’ve seen lately of Republicans voting for a non-Republican party are

NY23 (the latest round)
Crist
Coons
Republicans for Cuomo
Republicans for Reid

MeatHeadinCA on November 11, 2010 at 7:46 PM

O’Donnell redux.

rickyricardo on November 11, 2010 at 6:43 PM

Exactly. Palin will do well in some states but just fail in others.

Palin will assure a 2nd term for Obama.

However, that doesn’t mean I won’t vote for Palin. I’ll vote for anyone except for Huckabee or Ron Paul. I will support Palin, Romney, T-Paw, Pence or anyone else. Just not Huckabee or Ron Paul.

Conservative Samizdat on November 11, 2010 at 7:46 PM

KickandSwimMom on November 11, 2010 at 7:38 PM
While it could happen, I can see her supporters yelling ‘sellout!’ if it does.

Vashta.Nerada on November 11, 2010 at 7:41 PM

Yeah sure. like they did with Reagan/bush. conservatives are the ones to make peace. We simply ask for the top position at times. Rinos tend to want us to sit in the back all the time.

unseen on November 11, 2010 at 7:47 PM

Is that Sabato article purposefully obtuse?

SouthernGent on November 11, 2010 at 7:47 PM

Jenfidel on November 11, 2010 at 7:44 PM

Sorry that wasn’t you it was unseen….My Bad!..:)

Dire Straits on November 11, 2010 at 7:48 PM

Conservative Samizdat on November 11, 2010 at 7:46 PM

if you think Palin is O’Donnell you have not been paying attention. Palin’s politcal skills are legend. she would never do a commercial saying “I’m not a witch”.

unseen on November 11, 2010 at 7:48 PM

rockmom on November 11, 2010 at 7:29 PM

Doesn’t have to be ‘bloody.’ A good candidate has a better than 50% shot at taking out Bammie or Hillary or whoever, so there will be a full slate, Palin or not. Let’s have a set of vigorous debates that cover all the issues, and let’s have them run by a conservative organization, not the lilberal whores at Politico.

slickwillie2001 on November 11, 2010 at 7:48 PM

While it could happen, I can see her supporters yelling ‘sellout!’ if it does.

Vashta.Nerada on November 11, 2010 at 7:41 PM

It would be a sell-out.
Romney’s a squish.
Not only did he oversee the implementation of the state version of ObamaCare in MA, but he’s flip-flopped on abortion, same sex marriage and 2nd Amendment rights.
Big problem.
I’d like to see Sarah pick Jan Brewer, Jindal, Christie or Rick Perry as her VP.

Jenfidel on November 11, 2010 at 7:49 PM

Sorry that wasn’t you it was unseen….My Bad!..:)

Dire Straits on November 11, 2010 at 7:48 PM

yeah and I answered it:)

unseen on November 11, 2010 at 7:49 PM

OT …Coulter says repeal the 26th Amendment.

CWforFreedom on November 11, 2010 at 7:50 PM

Vashta.Nerada on November 11, 2010 at 7:34 PM

I think you have that exactly backasswards.

If Sarah wins the nomination, there will be many so-called “experts” on our side who will continue to say things like “too extreme”, “too far right” and so forth, just like they did when Reagan won the nomination and the forgettable John Anderson Indy campaign was born.

I say, if there is to be a third party split off, let the RINOs be the ones to throw a tantrum. Recent events indicate that is far more likely a scenario.

If Sarah Palin runs for the nomination and comes up short, she will endorse someone else and drop out of the race.

She will urge her supporters to think of the good of the country, unite behind the other candidate, and go defeat Obama as a team. Every thing I know about her character confirms this to me, without question.

It is the Anti-Palin faction you have to worry about if she does win.

What’s with the smart ass “coronated”?

It will be a straight up primary election, just like it should be. You’re just being a jerk.

Brian1972 on November 11, 2010 at 7:50 PM

I’m not a Fairweather Johnson if Palin decides to run I’m there.

Dr Evil on November 11, 2010 at 7:53 PM

Brian1972 on November 11, 2010 at 7:50 PM

I agree with your post but there has been some that have called for a third party early and often..:)

Dire Straits on November 11, 2010 at 7:54 PM

I have to agree with you. I just wonder if she is actually even considering running. Her actions send mixed messages. If I had to bet, I’d bet no.

sherry on November 11, 2010 at 7:55 PM

unseen on November 11, 2010 at 7:49 PM

She did it because she has class..You really believe that right?..:)

Dire Straits on November 11, 2010 at 7:56 PM

So… if you like Sarah (a good thing) but question her electability (a bad thing), and think a third-party run is unwise (a very bad thing) you are automatically a troll?

I think those HA members are simply trying to prevent the GOP from getting Perot’d again.

VastRightWingConspirator on November 11, 2010 at 7:56 PM

canopfor on November 11, 2010 at 7:29 PM
==============

Kini on November 11, 2010 at 7:36 PM

Kini: Too early…yes I agreee!:)

canopfor on November 11, 2010 at 7:57 PM

Brian1972 on November 11, 2010 at 7:50 PM

sadly i have to agree. i don’t see Gov palin going the 3rd party route if she runs and loses. I do however see her doing it if she is denied a seat at the table and kept form the primary. before the STOP Palin rollout I could see Palin sititn git out but after the attacks and the establishment telling her to sit down and shut up for the last 2 weeks I think it tipped the scales for her.

yet another backfire of the establishment.

unseen on November 11, 2010 at 7:58 PM

Brian1972 on November 11, 2010 at 7:50 PM

As the anti-Palinistas usually are.

CWforFreedom on November 11, 2010 at 7:58 PM

MeatHeadinCA on November 11, 2010 at 7:46 PM

You left out Karl Rove?..:)

Dire Straits on November 11, 2010 at 7:59 PM

She did it because she has class..You really believe that right?..:)

Dire Straits on November 11, 2010 at 7:56 PM

Why do you think her supporters support her?

unseen on November 11, 2010 at 7:59 PM

VastRightWingConspirator on November 11, 2010 at 7:56 PM

John Kerry called: he wants his Nuance back.
You’re making this way too weird.
Either that, or you’re just a garden variety Palin concern troll who’s trying to hide it.

Jenfidel on November 11, 2010 at 8:00 PM

I love her, but the first two are ridiculous, and both ended up with steep learning curves in international affairs. Clinton had been gov of Arkansas for most of his adult life it seems, and W had been gov of the 2nd most populous state in the country for 6 years when he was elected.

She was gov for 2 1/2 years when she decided to walk away. Yes, there’s a very reasonable explanation, but it takes time to explain to those that are already skeptical of her and probably more so since she decided to walk away.

She has a steep climb, but I also think it’s doable. She would win every state that they won in 2008 and I think there are doable states such as Ohio, CO, etc., to get her to 270. But it won’t be easy by any stretch of the imagination.

lizzie beth on November 11, 2010 at 7:11 PM

She was Governor of Alaska(our 47th-most populated state) for 1 year, 8 months. She was mayor of Wasilla (Pop: 10,000+) for six years and served on city council before. She’d never been outside the U.S. until 2007. Male or female, that’s not a resume that screams “Ready to go nose-to-nose with Vladimir Putin.”

But put all that aside — heck, give her Hillary Clinton’s resume — and think about her polling negatives… and what the mainstream media will do to make her look foolish in a general election. They are terrified of her… and they’ll hold back nothing (and probably continue to make stuff up) to damage her further.

I would love to see her in the White House. But it will never happen. Wish I were wrong.

VastRightWingConspirator on November 11, 2010 at 7:21 PM

Where do idiots like you two come up with this crap?

Palin has a lot more foreign policy experience than Clinton did when he took office.

Arkansas trades with almost no one. Alaska trades with everyone . The state’s Governor (CEO) is constantly meeting with international delegates on trade.

Alaska’s budget is three times that of Arkansas, and Alaska has more state employees to manage.

It’s interesting you two think population size matters, and yet Joe Biden comes from a state with less, and he’s “qualified” to be President.

Past that, as Alaska is the home to missile defense and other sensitive projects, Sarah Palin held a security clearance higher than all but a select few in government.

She was Commander-in-Chief of not only the Alaska National Guard but the Alaska Defense Force.

I know people like you will poo-poo that, but Alaskan Air National Guard pilots routinely escort Russian planes out of Alaskan air space.

In fact, a couple years back, the 76th Squadron escorted a group of Russian Bear Bombers back home. Received a commendation for it. This was during Sarah’s tenure.

And for the record Sarah served from December 4, 2006 – July 26, 2009 that’s a tad over the “year and 8 months” troll number two spewed out there.

The fact is, no more legislative sessions were scheduled for the remainder of her term. She was done anyway.

You trolls can keep wasting your time spouting stupidity, but the fact is, Palin has more executive level experience than anyone being considered for the job. And that includes Obama.

gary4205 on November 11, 2010 at 8:01 PM

Why do you think her supporters support her?

unseen on November 11, 2010 at 7:59 PM

LOL!..:)

Dire Straits on November 11, 2010 at 8:01 PM

VastRightWingConspirator on November 11, 2010 at 7:21
PM

I’ve never been outside the U.S., but given the authority of the President, I’d make Vladimir Putin cry like a little girl.

jimmy2shoes on November 11, 2010 at 8:02 PM

Exit answer from Larry Sabato: No, dummy.

whoa, I’m surprised Sabato put that out. OTB! It used to stand for “On The Border”… a joint that had great fajitas, and now it stands for “One-Term Barack”.

ted c on November 11, 2010 at 8:03 PM

In the determining area of Republican support, even without announcing a candidacy, Palin currently destroys her potential competitors, according to AP’s findings.

This fuels verbal insanity among the woman’s critics, who profess so much disdain for Palin that they can’t resist attacking her at every opportunity. All of which, of course, makes her even more popular among fans. And intrigued bloggers.

Forget that without holding an elective office but talking common-sense “tea party” conservatism, Palin helped to lead the successful national “Fire Pelosi” GOP bus tour while helping elect a majority of those she endorsed, many of them women, raising millions of dollars and knocking off 18 of her 20 targeted Democrats in the largest midterm political slaughter since 1938 — which was even before Joe Biden was born.

Fact: Palin is now viewed favorably by nearly 8 of 10 (79%) Republicans or Republican-leaning independents, while only 17% see her unfavorably.Trailing her is Huckabee at 74-10, Romney at 64-18 and Newt Gingrich at 68-21. Then comes the pack of who-are-theys: Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty at 28-13 and 59% Don’t Know Enough, Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour at 27-14-58, Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels at 24-13-63 and South Dakota Sen. John Thune at 20-10-70.

Other than that, it looks darned near impossible for Palin to capture the GOP nomination in Tampa 21 months from now.

unseen on November 11, 2010 at 8:03 PM

OT …Coulter says repeal the 26th Amendment.

CWforFreedom on November 11, 2010 at 7:50 PM

And speaking of straight-talking women with more b@lls than any male Democrat, and [unfairly] still who could never win a general election…

VastRightWingConspirator on November 11, 2010 at 8:03 PM

The next year or so will tell if she can gain some gravitas and get her voice to sound more sonorous and less cartoony.

profitsbeard on November 11, 2010 at 7:28 PM

The folks who gripe about Palin’s accent usually turn around and swoon for Chris “Joisey” Christie or Haley Boss Hogg Barbour. Which do you prefer?

And by the way, who has a more Presidential voice than Chairman Maobama? The guy could be a Smooth Jazz DJ.

Fortunately, most people aren’t as hung up on accents as you.

james23 on November 11, 2010 at 8:04 PM

LOL!..:)

Dire Straits on November 11, 2010 at 8:01 PM

And you wonder why the attacks on Palin do not work. Priceless.

unseen on November 11, 2010 at 8:06 PM

Serious question for the Huckabee supporters here:

What is it about his policies or platform that you like? If more than one, please list them.

Again, it’s a serious question. I have never been a Huckabee supporter, but I understood his appeal (religious/social con; pro-life, etc.) in the three-way contest between McCain, Romney, and him. I am, however, surprised that he continues to garner as much support as he does, especially after the last 2 years of political non-relevance. So I am genuinely curious what it is about him that still draws folks’ support.

Harpazo on November 11, 2010 at 8:06 PM

I guess I’ll have to quote these one at a time:

I will not vote for Huckster or Romneycarer…with a HOR and maybe Senate majority I’ll wait until 2016.

Caper29 on November 4, 2010 at 12:25 PM

Vashta.Nerada on November 11, 2010 at 8:07 PM

And:

I’ll support any GOP nominee as long as he’s not “establishment” – I’m telling you – after the crying I’ve heard coming from the elites after this historic victory – a victory which was FUELED ENTIRELY by the Tea Party’s enthusiasm – I’ll support Obama over Mitt Romney or any other establishment type.

No I’m serious – I’m beyond sitting the election out if an “elite” is nominated – I’ll make the trek to my local voting office to put Obama back in charge!

You can thank the pissy elites for that attitude.

HondaV65 on November 4, 2010 at 12:55 PM

Vashta.Nerada on November 11, 2010 at 8:08 PM

If Palin loses the primary, she has the good sense to tell her supporters to support one of the remaining candidates, and not go third party. Third party is the fantasy of the mobys and trolls, and it’s a loser.

More interesting question, will the Tea Party and Palin align?

slickwillie2001 on November 11, 2010 at 8:09 PM

And:

You can thank the pissy elites for that attitude.

HondaV65 on November 4, 2010 at 12:55 PM
…..
Ditto here. I’ll also be bitching about that RINO nominee on forums/blogs until election day.

TheRightMan on November 4, 2010 at 12:59 PM

Vashta.Nerada on November 11, 2010 at 8:10 PM

Emergence of Palinomics hints at populist 2012 run

With U.S. midterm elections over, it’s now the start of the U.S. presidential campaign for 2012. That may explain why Sarah Palin is suddenly opining on monetary policy and the dollar. The emergence of Palinomics suggests a run by the 2008 Republican vice-presidential nominee could feature critiques of banks and the Federal Reserve, as well as of President Barack Obama.

In a speech and a pair of Facebook postings this week, Palin unexpectedly warned her followers about the inflationary dangers of the Fed’s “pump-priming addiction” — a reference to the latest round of bond-buying by the U.S. central bank, known as quantitative easing. That’s hardly a novel critique. Many conservatives, and even some Fed officials, share Palin’s unease.
It’s the politics and timing rather than the substance that is raising eyebrows. Avid Palin-watchers see her move into economic commentary as further evidence of a run for the White House….

…If Palin does run, her views leave her — not for the first time — well positioned to exploit the zeitgeist. Voters right now seem dubious of Big Anything, be it Government, Business or Money. In her 2009 book, “Going Rogue,” Palin offered a rehash of 1980s Reaganomics — low taxes, less government spending, strong dollar. That’s in sync with her recent Fed-bashing. But she also attacked “corporatism” in which government and business conspire against entrepreneurs and consumers. This view fuels Palin’s critique of Obama’s financial reform plan, which she portrays as a creation of Wall Street designed to perpetuate bank bailouts.

Palinomics seems to be rooted in “free-market populism,” a version of conservative thinking that is pro-market rather than pro-business. Palin is a big fan of one of its champions, the University of Chicago’s Luigi Zingales. So it’s easy to imagine her campaigning against corporate tax breaks, say, or in favor of limiting the size of banks. That might not attract much campaign cash from Manhattan bankers or Washington lobbyists, but it could be a compelling formula in the new Tea Party-infused Republican party.

they really have no idea what is about to hit them.

unseen on November 11, 2010 at 8:11 PM

unseen on November 11, 2010 at 8:06 PM

I think that if Palin’s PAC is forking out $5,000 dollars the main reason isn’t class..Esp. if Miller turned his back on Palin and went with Huckabee (Your reason Miller is losing)..:)

PS..Enjoy the kool-aid..

Dire Straits on November 11, 2010 at 8:11 PM

slickwillie2001 on November 11, 2010 at 8:09 PM

Excellent post!..:)

Dire Straits on November 11, 2010 at 8:13 PM

Those Texas folks are just SO smart!

TXMomof3 on November 11, 2010 at 8:14 PM

Dire Straits on November 11, 2010 at 8:11 PM

LOL… a classless person would have given 5,000 to Lisa’s campaign to “repair bridges burned”. Instead Palin puts principles over personaility.

have fun in unicornland ar ethe daily rates really expensive there? :)

unseen on November 11, 2010 at 8:15 PM

gary4205 on November 11, 2010 at 8:01 PM

I’ll clarify: she was Governor of Alaska for one year and eights months, when John McCain asked her to be his running mate. We can only speculate how much governing she did leading up the 2008 Presidential election, or eight months afterwards before resigning.

Not a troll… actually, a fan. But a realist, when it comes to how she’d fare in a GE. I spent a couple of weeks in Alaska this summer… and was suprised how dissapointed the locals were in her for resigning.

VastRightWingConspirator on November 11, 2010 at 8:15 PM

So once Palin attacks Mitt and ties him to “crony capitalism” how long after that does it takes Mitt’s numbers to go in the 20% range?

And how long until Palin attacks huck’s soft on crime and big tax big government programs does it take for huck’s numbers to go below 20%?

unseen on November 11, 2010 at 8:18 PM

PS..Enjoy the kool-aid..

Dire Straits on November 11, 2010 at 8:11 PM

I have never heard of Miller “turning his back on Palin and going with Huckabee!
And there’s no Kool-Aid involved.
Sarah endorsed Miller many moons ago, before the GOP primary.
Of course, SarahPAC would support him through the recount.
But she’s also helping Renee Ellmers and Ann Marie Buerkle in their post-election fights, too.

Jenfidel on November 11, 2010 at 8:18 PM

and was suprised how dissapointed the locals were in her for resigning.

VastRightWingConspirator on November 11, 2010 at 8:15 PM

You don’t have to speculate: her accomplishments as Governor are a matter of record, which I suggest you familiarize yourself with before you spout off more concern troll talking points.

Jenfidel on November 11, 2010 at 8:21 PM

Jenfidel on November 11, 2010 at 8:18 PM

You need to ask unseen..she is the one that come up with the Miller turned on Palin meme..:)

Dire Straits on November 11, 2010 at 8:23 PM

People are looking at Mitt’s ties to Wall street as a plus only because no one has made it a negative yet. I doubt that the vast majority of GOPers think Wall Street close ties, bailouts, tarp etc are a good thing……..McCain was very stupid not to attack him but then he couldn’t bercause he was also tied to them and to K-street. McCain was as much part of the “crony capitalism” as Mitt. same reason why no one went after McCain on immigration in the primary they all believed the same stuff.

Most people think its rommneycare that will bury Mitt but it isn’t. It’s the “crony capitalism” that will do it. He has no defense against it. With Rommneycare he can use the states rights defense. With “crony capitalism” he has nothing.

In the NV debate Angle scored the biggest points when she attacked Reid on his finaicial success. She didn’t connect the dots but she still scored big.

Mitt is wide open for that attack.

unseen on November 11, 2010 at 8:23 PM

she is the one that come up with the Miller turned on Palin meme..:)

Dire Straits on November 11, 2010 at 8:23 PM

thanks but I have not lost any human body parts lately.

unseen on November 11, 2010 at 8:26 PM

have fun in unicornland ar ethe daily rates really expensive there? :)

unseen on November 11, 2010 at 8:15 PM

They are cheap..:)Sorry but I’m just not into political worship..Enjoyed it:)

Dire Straits on November 11, 2010 at 8:28 PM

thanks but I have not lost any human body parts lately.

unseen on November 11, 2010 at 8:26 PM

????..:)

Dire Straits on November 11, 2010 at 8:30 PM

VastRightWingConspirator on November 11, 2010 at 8:15 PM

Sure, whatevers.

Sarah who is the ultimate multi-tasker (she has TWO Blackberrys fired up all the time) was in constant contact with her government in Alaska.

I know a number of Alaskans. None are disappointed she resigned and saved the state millions. Now, there may be some that are, but my guess most are libs who are trash talking.

That said, doesn’t matter if she pissed em all off, she did what was right for her state, and that’s all that matters.

Sarah isn’t one to put her own political career over what is right, something she has proven over and over again.

People declared her DOA when she resigned from the AOGCC in protest as well. We know how that turned out.

Again, she put principle over all else.

This is why she is such a powerful force, and why she has such strong support. People know she will ALWAYS do what is right. She has two decades worth of proven record of always doing the right thing.

No one in politics is more trustworthy. No one.

Past that, no one in politics has a better success rate of actually getting things done.

People who have studied her record know this. Observers know you couldn’t create a better candidate if you tried. She’s the real deal. Walks the walk.

Your “concern” however, is duly noted.

gary4205 on November 11, 2010 at 8:30 PM

Jenfidel on November 11, 2010 at 8:18 PM

Miller made a very public move after the rpimary to distance himself form Palin. When asked if she was qualified he gave a non committed response. When todd Palin sent an email to Miller about it Miller’s campaign (run by a lot of huck supporters) leaked the email to put todd Palin in a bad light. miller had to repair fences for the next week or so but a lot of damage was done and his poll numbers took a hit. this was at the same time as lisaa hitting Miller as unfit to serve. The two events hurt Miller’s nubmers.

the two groups remained distant after that until miller saw his poll numbers not recovering and then he very publicly reached out to Palin in the final weeks of the campaign to help him. she did. It wasn’t enough. Or so it appears at this time.

unseen on November 11, 2010 at 8:31 PM

????..:)

Dire Straits on November 11, 2010 at 8:30 PM

male here not female.

unseen on November 11, 2010 at 8:33 PM

Jenfidel on November 11, 2010 at 8:21 PM

Wow. Kool-Aid drinking AND stubborn. Tough combo.

Speaking of research, why don’t you Google hotair.com + Palin + VastRightWingConspirator before you start throwing around the T-Word? Or are you really that new at this?

VastRightWingConspirator on November 11, 2010 at 8:36 PM

Or so it appears at this time.

unseen on November 11, 2010 at 8:31 PM

I remember the rumors, but I’m not sure I believe them.
I know I got a last minute email appeal for money just before the election for Miller from Todd Palin personally and that went out to all the SarahPAC email list, which I assume is considerable.
I still don’t see Miller “running to Huckabee.”
Sure, Miller’s numbers have dropped, but Lisa has the bully pulpit of being the incumbent and Gov. Frank’s daughter.
Miller’s weakness on Palin as a presidential candidate just makes him look indecisive and weak himself, which I doubt did him any favors with AK’s voters because they know very well who got him on the ballot last Tuesday and it wasn’t Huckabee.

Jenfidel on November 11, 2010 at 8:38 PM

unseen on November 11, 2010 at 8:31 PM

Exactly. If Sarah has one fault, it’s that she doesn’t have a bunch of mind numbed minions to insert themselves in candidate’s races.

It was Huck’s people who screwed the pooch and got Miller off message, and yeah, leaked those emails.

This was around the same time Huck was bragging about his big win in Alaska.

This is why I have no respect for Huckabee. He is a dirt bag in every meaning of the word. A real snake in the grass. We’re going to have to watch him like a hawk watches chickens.

gary4205 on November 11, 2010 at 8:39 PM

male here not female.

unseen on November 11, 2010 at 8:33 PM

Sorry..My mistake..Please forgive me..:)

Dire Straits on November 11, 2010 at 8:39 PM

Wow. Kool-Aid drinking AND stubborn. Tough combo.

Non Kool-Aid drinking Truth detector.
And I prefer tenacious over the word “stubborn.”

VastRightWingConspirator on November 11, 2010 at 8:36 PM

No, thank you.
I’m quite old at this: been herding Palin concern trolls for 2 years now.

Jenfidel on November 11, 2010 at 8:41 PM

PS..Enjoy the kool-aid..

Dire Straits on November 11, 2010 at 8:11 PM

That was uncalled for. unseen likes Palin, it’s well known. You don’t have to bag on her for it. She has reasons that seem resonable to me. If they seem unreasonable to you, say so, don’t just cast ad hominems.

alwaysfiredup on November 11, 2010 at 8:41 PM

Wow. Kool-Aid drinking AND stubborn. Tough combo.

VastRightWingConspirator on November 11, 2010 at 8:36 PM

Hmm, concern troll shows “concern.”

In other news, water is wet.

Before you start accusing Jen of being a Koolaid drinker I think you need to check yourself.

gary4205 on November 11, 2010 at 8:42 PM

male here not female.

unseen on November 11, 2010 at 8:33 PM

Lo siento.

alwaysfiredup on November 11, 2010 at 8:42 PM

alwaysfiredup on November 11, 2010 at 8:41 PM

I understand that he likes Palin.that is cool..But I think you need to scroll up and read the thread..:)

Dire Straits on November 11, 2010 at 8:47 PM

More interesting question, will the Tea Party and Palin align?

slickwillie2001 on November 11, 2010 at 8:09 PM

Palin isn’t going to lose in the primary. That is why you are seeing this organized and concerted effort to get her not to run in the first place. We have to stay strong and we have to listen to Sarah and what she decides not what all the paid trolls have come out in mass to push.

CCRWM on November 11, 2010 at 8:49 PM

Not a troll…
VastRightWingConspirator on November 11, 2010 at 8:15 PM

Yes yo are… and your name is a dead giveaway…hey but nice try..

CCRWM on November 11, 2010 at 8:52 PM

She is the only true conservative painting the political landscape with bold colors and not pastels (Romney/Newt,Huck). She will, to use the trite and worn out pun, mop the floor with Barry O when Americans are faced with a choice of a big intrusive gov’t or putting power and tax dollars back in the hands of freedom loving Americans. The choice will be so simple even Obama zombies should be able to figure it out.

long_cat on November 11, 2010 at 8:52 PM

I’d vote for her, but no one I know would.

profitsbeard on November 11, 2010 at 7:28 PM

I’d vote for her, but no one I know would know.

leftnomore on November 11, 2010 at 8:55 PM

Dire Straits on November 11, 2010 at 8:47 PM

I did. He said he thinks Palin gave Miller $5,000 because she’s classy. I think Palin gave him $5,000 because he’s a friend of Todd’s. But I also happen to think she’s classy, so it’s not wrong. It seems the only explanation that works for you is that she’s worried about her political reputation in AK. I disagree. I think she knows that she wins some and loses some, and the three-way nature of this race is what lost it for Miller. In a 2-way contest he would have won and that was Palin’s calculus in getting him to the primary win.

But my point is, it’s not a ridiculous position for unseen to take, which is why ridiculing is out of place. At least for someone who isn’t an obnoxious troll, and you’re not.

alwaysfiredup on November 11, 2010 at 8:58 PM

Regarding Sabato’s lust for irony, he fails to mention that Bill Clinton served two terms because of Ross Perot’s third party candidacy. If Republicans will remain unified, BHO cannot capture 50% of the popular vote and the Electoral College will likely swing R . . .

. . . if Republicans will remain unified. Being rid of BHO and Obamacare is worth holding one’s nose in order to support one opponent whether from the right or from the center. Save the intra-party squabbles for after 2012.

exdeadhead on November 11, 2010 at 9:00 PM

alwaysfiredup on November 11, 2010 at 8:58 PM

Nice post..He told me to enjoy the unicorns well I told him to enjoy the kool-aid..tit for tat..Everything is good!..:)

Dire Straits on November 11, 2010 at 9:01 PM

Palin has been out there building a PAC.

Connecting to candidates and State parties across the Nation.

Publicly taking on Obama, Pelosi and Reid, with simple FB entries that all of the Left can’t hope to deal with.

And Mitt Romney has done… what, exactly? Is he a Tea Party supporter out front and center? Publicly taking on anyone who is trying to push this Nation over a cliff? Willing to step up, step out and take some flack for his past and do more than be the money-man buying support?

Palin tries to actually get out to people she supports and do some stumping for them. Romney?

Palin pointed out in 2009 how everyone needed to concentrate on 2010, first, before thinking about 2012 and she worked hard to get things going where everyone and their leftist friends could throw tomatoes at her… and Romney did… well what has Romney actually done to demonstrate he actually cares about the country, is willing to stand up with, for and help politicians working to end this big government system?

Or does he love Romneycare so much that he thinks that government is the solution… not the problem?

Of Palin I have seen, heard and watched much over the past 2 years… and she has been busy, very busy.

Romney? Lackluster money-man expecting the ‘next R in line with no appeal’ freebie to get Obama re-elected. There is something deeply wrong with a party that prefers to go for the ‘next in line’ instead of someone with a fire in their belly to actually campaign, put themselves out to be attacked and come back looking better for the ordeal.

ajacksonian on November 11, 2010 at 9:03 PM

To those who say Palin is too polarizing:

From AP-GfK poll F/UF:

ADULTS LIKELY VOTERS
OCTOBER 43/53 49/50
NOVEMBER 46/49 52/46*

*Extrapolation

From Rasmussen Sept 20/2010 F/UF:

OVERALL 48/49
INDEPENDENTS 52/47

I’ll take those numbers any day of the week.

technopeasant on November 11, 2010 at 9:05 PM

Dire Straits on November 11, 2010 at 9:01 PM

Lol. Allright then. Last weekend was nothing but failure for my teams and success for their rivals. Here’s hoping for a better weekend. [vaguely waves wineglass in DS's general direction]

alwaysfiredup on November 11, 2010 at 9:08 PM