Live: What comes next for the Tea Party?

posted at 10:45 am on November 9, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

The Heritage Foundation hosts its Bloggers Briefing today on the future of the Tea Party after its midterm election successes.  Will the movement survive and grow, and what form will it take over the next two years?  Can they remain coherent enough to demand the accountability from Republicans that Democrats didn’t provide?  Will they get a seat at the leadership table of the GOP?

I will be a member of the panel today, which can be seen live through Heritage’s Facebook page.  Joining me will be Byron York of the Washington Examiner, Florida Tea Party organizer Billie Tucker, and moderator Michael Franc of Heritage.  If you’re in town, drop by Heritage’s Lehrman Auditorium, or catch us on the Facebook page!

Comments

Go Ed Go.

We are being taken for granted by the GOP establishment.
Hopefully we stick together as a movement and vote out the guys in the striped ties woh don’t get it. Rebubs or Dems.

SayNo2-O on November 9, 2010 at 10:49 AM

Why must everything be on stupid facebook? Is C-span going to cover this at a later date?

Cindy Munford on November 9, 2010 at 10:50 AM

The National Journal article suggested that TPM is more about the culture – which is EXACTLY how it should be. Short-term politics is a small tool in the arsenal to restore liberty. Changing the culture and continuous purging elections are the way forward.

flawedskull on November 9, 2010 at 10:50 AM

that jacket looks better than the last one the other day **Yikes**.//

Have fun Ed.

ted c on November 9, 2010 at 10:51 AM

It’s obvious what comes next. Holding Republican feet to the fire. And if they don’t get the job done, expect more incumbent Republicans to lose their primary races for 2012 races.

It’s as simple as that.

ButterflyDragon on November 9, 2010 at 10:51 AM

Cindy Munford on November 9, 2010 at 10:50 AM

Agreed. Many people have deleted or never had an account.

OmahaConservative on November 9, 2010 at 10:55 AM

Brass on November 9, 2010 at 11:02 AM

Brass on November 9, 2010 at 11:02 AM

Thank you, you are the best.

Cindy Munford on November 9, 2010 at 11:04 AM

It is also on C-Span right now.

Cindy Munford on November 9, 2010 at 11:08 AM

The future of the Tea Party is bright, as people who’ve given up will see fiscal sanity is POSSIBLE. They had no hope even the smallest political faction in DC was fiscally responsible. They had no role models, no chance the federal govt would hew to the same kind of budgeting every family must. This is just the seed, and some sprouts. You haven’t seen anything yet.

Paul-Cincy on November 9, 2010 at 11:10 AM

Brass … thanks for the link.

ORrighty on November 9, 2010 at 11:11 AM

Still waiting for Ed to talk … LOL … on Cspan right now.

Paul-Cincy on November 9, 2010 at 11:20 AM

Brass on November 9, 2010 at 11:02 AM

It is also on C-Span right now.

Cindy Munford on November 9, 2010 at 11:08 AM

Thanks.

OmahaConservative on November 9, 2010 at 11:20 AM

Ed going over political history to explain the Tea Party. Hmmm. Now he wonders if minor successes will take the steam out of the Tea Party.

No. This is just the beginning. True reform!

Paul-Cincy on November 9, 2010 at 11:27 AM

Byron York is speaking now.

OmahaConservative on November 9, 2010 at 11:30 AM

What I really like about Billie Tucker is that she looks and sounds just like the woman next door, or my sister, or someone from work or church. She is one of us, and not establishment.

OmahaConservative on November 9, 2010 at 11:45 AM

A little bit of offense intended, but that Billie lady shouldn’t be on the same dais as Ed and Byron. She hasn’t seemed very well-spoken or articulate so far.

Abby Adams on November 9, 2010 at 11:46 AM

Finally! Corruption/ethics/trust comes to the fore. I was beginning to think that all three panelists had wussed-out on us. We’ve GOT to start talking about this stuff OPENLY.

CyberCipher on November 9, 2010 at 11:47 AM

OmahaConservative on November 9, 2010 at 11:45 AM

Hahaha. Hadn’t read your comment when I posted:

Abby Adams on November 9, 2010 at 11:46 AM

I guess we’ll just disagree on some things. :-)

Abby Adams on November 9, 2010 at 11:47 AM

What comes next for the Tea Party? Senator Ed Morrissey.

Emperor Norton on November 9, 2010 at 11:47 AM

Elected officials have been lying to us since before I was born. We HAVE to start calling them out on it the way that Joe Wilson called out Obama in the SOTU address.

CyberCipher on November 9, 2010 at 11:50 AM

NoStoppingUs!

Inanemergencydial on November 9, 2010 at 11:56 AM

I guess we’ll just disagree on some things. :-)

Abby Adams on November 9, 2010 at 11:47 AM

Conservatives disagree with one another all the time, and still love one another.

Ed and Byron are pros, while Billie is just another Jane Civilian who got fed up and decided to do something. She may not be as articulate, be she seems to have a lot of common sense, and I liked her not making ‘mom’ angry statement.

OmahaConservative on November 9, 2010 at 11:58 AM

I think the tea party is “We the People” — who have finally woken to the threat to liberty posed by the federal government.

tarpon on November 9, 2010 at 11:59 AM

There won’t BE any fiscal responsibility in Washington D.C. until we attack the entitlement programs head-on. Unfortunately, everyone cowers and looks for a place to hide whenever anyone breaches the topic. The question is, where will you cower and hide when your dollar is worthless? — and if you think that position is extreme or alarmist, will you still think that when your family begins to starve to death? — because it is a mathematical certainty that we are headed in that direction.

CyberCipher on November 9, 2010 at 11:59 AM

What time do they re-convene?

OmahaConservative on November 9, 2010 at 12:04 PM

I went there for Mr. Morrissey and low and behold the First Coast Tea Party is the rallies that I have been attending. I agree with Billie in regards to a presidential candidate, I haven’t seen anyone yet.

Cindy Munford on November 9, 2010 at 12:04 PM

Ed is a star!

d1carter on November 9, 2010 at 12:04 PM

Cindy Munford on November 9, 2010 at 12:04 PM

Ditto.

OmahaConservative on November 9, 2010 at 12:06 PM

I can’t believe that everyone who isn’t part of the Tea Party spends so much time worrying about it, especially the journalist types. If you want to know what we are doing, then join up. We are not a political party. We care passionately about the Constitution, smaller government, and free market solutions. Since we haven’t seen much of any of what we care about going on in government, there is no way we are going away. We have a huge job ahead of us. We as a people have allowed our government to “get away” with so many atrocities in the last 100 years. We aren’t going to put up with it anymore. Sitting around analyzing it is a waste of time. We know what happenes if we don’t pay attention. We are paying attention. The change is just beginning.

BetseyRoss on November 9, 2010 at 12:11 PM

Abby Adams on November 9, 2010 at 11:46 AM

I agree one hundred percent. I have a bigger question though.
Who the hell is Billie Tucker and why does she think that she has the right to speak for me or any other tea party participant?
I have no problem with other tea party participants taking the lead in organizing and then receiving credit for it but to put yourself out there as a tea party leader? NO
The power of this movement is that there is no command a control. No one nut out there babbling the tea party wants this or that and then have the media focus on that person and brand us as the same.

P. Monk on November 9, 2010 at 12:17 PM

Go, Ed!

Ed for President Emperor 2012!

petefrt on November 9, 2010 at 12:19 PM

tarpon on November 9, 2010 at 11:59 AM

I couldn’t agree more.

P. Monk on November 9, 2010 at 12:19 PM

OmahaConservative on November 9, 2010 at 12:04 PM

According to the Heritage Website it is only supposed to be an hour long.

I think they said they were going to post the video of the event sometime today on the Heritage site.

If not, you can see a repeat of the program here on C-Span.

Brass on November 9, 2010 at 12:23 PM

This may not be the right thread for it, but what’s with Rand Paul and earmarks. Now, the Tea Party has an unprecedented opportunity to brand itself, and one of its most heralded reps is wavering? (..or is it just wishful thinking from the MSM?)

Has anyone coined the term TINO yet?

Quetzal on November 9, 2010 at 1:30 PM

Has anyone coined the term TINO yet?

Quetzal on November 9, 2010 at 1:30 PM

Good stuff. That made me laugh.

Brass on November 9, 2010 at 1:33 PM

I suppose it’s OK to speculate on the future of the Tea Party but take it with a grain of salt. The Tea Party is a leaderless, fluid movement based on constitutional principles and should not be constrained by pigeonholing it or deciding who “runs” it. I consider myself part of it and I recognize no central leadership. The ideals lead me and the Constitution is my compass. Anyone who suggests they lead it is a false prophet.

Extrafishy on November 9, 2010 at 2:33 PM

Extrafishy on November 9, 2010 at 2:33 PM

Perfectly stated. I feel the same way.

ButterflyDragon on November 9, 2010 at 3:00 PM

Abby Adams on November 9, 2010 at 11:46 AM

She’s not a professional, she is suppose to represent those who are not in the world of punditry.

Cindy Munford on November 9, 2010 at 3:15 PM