Good news: State seizes newborn baby after mom eats poppy seed bagel

posted at 7:58 pm on November 9, 2010 by Allahpundit

Via Jacob Sullum of Reason, consider this less a palate cleanser than a public service announcement for the HA faithful. If you’re pregnant and happen to live in Pennsylvania, avoid Dunkin Donuts at all costs.

The birth of a couple’s first child is supposed to be a joyous occasion — and for the first three days, it was for Elizabeth Mort and her partner Alex Rodriguez. But then the commonwealth of Pennsylvania took their young daughter away after the hospital where she was born reported the mother for testing positive on a drug test. Her drug of choice? An “everything” bagel from Dunkin’ Donuts

Mort and Rodriguez’s daughter was taken by the state a mere day after they returned from the hospital. Despite a test of the child failing to uncover any trace of illicit drugs, a pair of LCCYS caseworkers and two police officers showed up at their door bearing a court order legally entitling them to seize her. And that never would have happened were it not for Jameson Hospital’s written policy of subjecting mothers-to-be to urine drug tests — and to then report them to the state for testing positive if they exceed an exceptionally low threshold that is far more stringent than the one the federal government applies to its own workers.

While a federal employee would fail a drug test if they exceed a threshold of 2,000 nanograms/mL of opiate metabolites, a patient at Jameson Hospital would fail if they exceed a threshold of just 300 nanograms/mL — or just 100 nanograms/mL for morphine. At such low thresholds, there’s a good chance other parents will have to suffer — and likely have already suffered — the pain of having their child taken away from them based on nothing more than their choice of breakfast food.

As Sullum notes, according to the ACLU complaint filed on the couple’s behalf, urine tests administered to Mort by her obstetrician during the pregnancy were uniformly negative for drugs. Oh well: The state grabbed the baby anyway — and held her for five days. And if you think that’s the worst thing to happen to someone because of a false positive triggered by eating the wrong bagel, think again.

Seriously, how can we still be having this problem in 2010? Doesn’t anyone else watch “Mythbusters”?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

try to stay current

swimcoachmike on November 9, 2010 at 8:00 PM

Oh that’s awful!

Cookies Mom on November 9, 2010 at 8:01 PM

Don’t worry. Soon, all carbs will be illegal under Obamacare.

SouthernGent on November 9, 2010 at 8:03 PM

I’m sure this is what the Founders had in mind. Remember, it’s a “Living Document”.

The Chewbacca Defense on November 9, 2010 at 8:05 PM

dude. somebody has some splainin’ to do.

ted c on November 9, 2010 at 8:05 PM

This is what happens when your society declares a “war” on drugs.

Just another innocent casualty in the war on Drugs, caught in the crossfire.

JohnGalt23 on November 9, 2010 at 8:06 PM

Nothing less than a million bucks each from the hospital and state would make it go away for me.

Dusty on November 9, 2010 at 8:06 PM

They must be guilty of something, otherwise they wouldn’t have been arrested, right?

pedestrian on November 9, 2010 at 8:06 PM

Dad couldn’t take the child?

BKeyser on November 9, 2010 at 8:07 PM

Doesn’t anyone else watch “Mythbusters”?

Tried to, really did, just doesn’t do it for me.

Kini on November 9, 2010 at 8:07 PM

She needed Jerry’s mom’s urine.

lorien1973 on November 9, 2010 at 8:07 PM

Dad couldn’t take the child?

BKeyser on November 9, 2010 at 8:07 PM

Guilty by association

Kini on November 9, 2010 at 8:08 PM

It wasn’t the bagel so much as the cream cheese she put on it… it wasn’t non-fat.

malclave on November 9, 2010 at 8:09 PM

Oh.
My.
God.

Ugly on November 9, 2010 at 8:12 PM

She needed Jerry’s mom’s urine.

lorien1973 on November 9, 2010 at 8:07 PM

Serenity now!

herrevery on November 9, 2010 at 8:12 PM

Don’t ever eat a poppy seed bagel before a job drug test. You will test + for heroin.

cableguy615 on November 9, 2010 at 8:12 PM

Dusty on November 9, 2010 at 8:06 PM

Seems to be a county, not a state, thing.

And I think just a couple million seems pretty low.

malclave on November 9, 2010 at 8:13 PM

Jack-booted thugs. But the baby down the street whose mommy is a crack whore? Nope. Not taking her away. That mother is just “socioeconomically disadvantaged.”

Rational Thought on November 9, 2010 at 8:15 PM

…..and next thing you know if you’re a Mom giving your kid CHICKEN SOUP in NYC they’ll handcuff you and put your kids in DHS custody………for child endangerment.

THANKS PROGRESSIVES.

PappyD61 on November 9, 2010 at 8:15 PM

It’s way worse in England. This is pretty bad, though.

Bob's Kid on November 9, 2010 at 8:15 PM

I’m sure once they apologize and give her back those 5 days with her brand new baby everything will be fine.

Oh, wait….they can’t give her back those 5 days.

JadeNYU on November 9, 2010 at 8:17 PM

BTW, This campaign by Mayor Bloombergs Food Nazi’s in NYC was paid for by the city……and THE FED GOV. There’s nothing that could be cut in the Federal Budget though right?

Thanks Bloomy.

PappyD61 on November 9, 2010 at 8:17 PM

Don’t go too far over the deep end. This will get straightened out. My wife is a NICU nurse. In the states of New York, Connecticut, and Florida if the baby test POSITIVE for drugs (think cocaine) that CANNOT be used as evidence against the mother.
This is much worse people but does not ever get reported on.

dentalque on November 9, 2010 at 8:18 PM

I predict declining admissions for Jameson Hospital of Busybody Assholes.

Bugler on November 9, 2010 at 8:20 PM

Doctor-Patient confidentiality is long dead and buried, yet another victim of the war on drugs.

Bob Mc on November 9, 2010 at 8:20 PM

One has to seriously wonder if this country is worth saving.

Perhaps we should just cry havoc…

and you know the rest.

turfmann on November 9, 2010 at 8:21 PM

If she didn’t take the heroin, you know she wanted to!!!
/POS state aid worker

ted c on November 9, 2010 at 8:23 PM

How’s that battle going for all you Drug Warriors out there?

I’m sure you’ll win any day now.

The War on Drugs: Do it. For the children.

CTD on November 9, 2010 at 8:24 PM

The article doesn’t say, but if, and only if, these folks are on government programs I actually have no problem with this. Live by the government…

SouthernGent on November 9, 2010 at 8:24 PM

Don’t go too far over the deep end. This will get straightened out.

Sorry, but the state should NEVER, EVER have the power to take one’s child by force based upon an error. The bar should be much, much higher than a test that can be wrong due to ingestion of a bagel. Cases like this are about statists flexing their muscles, not about children being protected.

Rational Thought on November 9, 2010 at 8:26 PM

Statism on full display.How’s everyone liking their new AmeriKa.

wheelgun on November 9, 2010 at 8:26 PM

Her drug of choice? An “everything” bagel from Dunkin’ Donuts…

Well, next time don’t order one with “EVERYTHING”. Tell them to hold the morphine, crack, mary-jane, heroin, ecstasy, meth, AND poppy seeds.

Lone Star on November 9, 2010 at 8:27 PM

The worst part is the kids of actual addicts are too often left in their care while someone who eats a bagel gets nailed.

sharrukin on November 9, 2010 at 8:28 PM

Since the entire world has seen every episode of Seinfeld, you’d think that people would know all about the hi-jinx which ensues from the eating of poppy seed bagels. Elaine Benes does.

keep the change on November 9, 2010 at 8:33 PM

No one is gonna be watching after their lame performance at Stewart’s “sanity” rally…

phreshone on November 9, 2010 at 8:34 PM

My OB’s office tests for everything at every visit. I always joked I shouldn’t eat a poppyseed bagle before a visit, but I never thought it could actually induce a positive result. Jesus.

Vera on November 9, 2010 at 8:35 PM

Our drug laws at work…

ernesto on November 9, 2010 at 8:35 PM

I’d have gone to prison if they tried to pry my newborn away. The trauma they put that couple through is unimaginable. Somebody better pay.

TXMomof3 on November 9, 2010 at 8:36 PM

I have to wonder about the sanity of the judge that signed the court order. Someone should look into his/her removal from the bench.

Agree, sue for millions.

slickwillie2001 on November 9, 2010 at 8:40 PM

And I thought that was a myth…

Count to 10 on November 9, 2010 at 8:40 PM

I am NOT a litigious person, and generally have no time for the ACLU. BUT…you’re damn right in this case I would sue. How absolutely awful. I cannot even imagine what these parents went through. Just thinking about either of my kids in state care…*shudders*

WaltzingMtilda on November 9, 2010 at 8:42 PM

Gee, I wonder why people don’t trust the government and why they’d be angry at the incredible power they can wield w/o notice?

TheBigOldDog on November 9, 2010 at 8:45 PM

Just thinking about either of my kids in state care…*shudders*

Especially a new born. She can kiss breastfeeding goodbye.

Vera on November 9, 2010 at 8:45 PM

Show up at my door with a piece of paper and a couple of cops demanding my child and see how that works out for you.

Hog Wild on November 9, 2010 at 8:47 PM

TXMomof3 on November 9, 2010 at 8:36 PM

This. I almost lost my mind when a relative merely suggested we give our 10-day-old baby prune juice. If someone had come into my house, and tried to take my child for NO REASON WHATSOEVER – and eating a bagel is NOT a reason – I cannot even imagine what my post-partum self would have done. Seriously. A post-partum mother is a time bomb at best, I’m surprised the lady didn’t end up in jail for actual charges.

Let this be a lesson: do not open the door for DSS, ever.

citrus on November 9, 2010 at 8:50 PM

Children being molested in public by TSA agents, newborns ripped from their mothers’ arms… nothing to see here, folks. Be a good little German and move along.

RachDubya on November 9, 2010 at 8:55 PM

Especially a new born. She can kiss breastfeeding goodbye.

Vera on November 9, 2010 at 8:45 PM

I hope the LLL catches wind of this. In fact, I think I’ll make sure they do. I have a lot of very pro-breastfeeding friends who will go BSC when they see this. I know that might sound weird to the men of HA, but there’s a huge online community dedicated to breastfeeding (lotta liberals) and maybe something like THIS will break through the dense skulls who vote with the Dems because they think it’s cool and earthy and intellectual to be “progressive.”

citrus on November 9, 2010 at 8:55 PM

Suppose a law-abiding home-owner legally owning and possessing a firearm had used that firearm to defend his child against a clearly unlawful seizure (read: kidnapping) at the hands of the state …

I wonder what the end result would have been.

Professor Blather on November 9, 2010 at 8:59 PM

Let this be a lesson: do not open the door for DSS, ever.

citrus on November 9, 2010 at 8:50 PM

Can I still claim PPD eight years after the birth of my youngest?

TXMomof3 on November 9, 2010 at 8:59 PM

From the looks of that picture, she looks like she is guilty of eating a whole hell of a lot more than bagels.

esnap on November 9, 2010 at 9:00 PM

Count it!

rogerb on November 9, 2010 at 9:00 PM

Especially a new born. She can kiss breastfeeding goodbye.

Vera on November 9, 2010 at 8:45 PM

Having a visceral reaction just thinking about it. The bond between mother and child is primal, particularly during breastfeeding (hormones, anyone?). Had someone taken my baby from me, they’d arouse much more than a mama Grizzly…

What a nightmare.

Bee on November 9, 2010 at 9:01 PM

This is obviously why we need to legalize heroin!
/ap

abobo on November 9, 2010 at 9:01 PM

TXMomof3 on November 9, 2010 at 8:36 PM

Hog Wild on November 9, 2010 at 8:47 PM

That’s why something like this is so terrifying. In reality, what would you have done? Gotten yourself shot? Gotten arrested, and touted the next day as a violent, drug using parent? No, you’d have complied, eventually, and the statists know this. Their power is absolute in such cases. It’s appalling.

Rational Thought on November 9, 2010 at 9:05 PM

esnap on November 9, 2010 at 9:00 PM

Such a jerk.

TXMomof3 on November 9, 2010 at 9:05 PM

Rational Thought on November 9, 2010 at 9:05 PM

Clearly, you don’t know me. Protecting my son is job number one. My reputation? That pales in comparison.

My son gets kidnapped over my dead body.

tcn on November 9, 2010 at 9:10 PM

I know it’s fun to engage in “if they had tried that with me” and all, but seriously – I’d be in jail, and there’d be a few government folks in the hospital. Try coming to the door and taking one or more of my kids for some BS reason like this and see what happens.

Midas on November 9, 2010 at 9:11 PM

So let’s start taking kids from fat people, then?

What absolute BS. There isn’t enough money in the world to make this go away from me.

Their power is absolute only when I let them have absolute power. They would take my children over my dead body — or, preferably — theirs. Misters Smith and Wesson would agree with me.

englishqueen01 on November 9, 2010 at 9:14 PM

englishqueen01 on November 9, 2010 at 9:14 PM

Amen sister! No one phucks with my family, I don’t care how “complete” or “legitimate” they say their power is.

abobo on November 9, 2010 at 9:18 PM

Can I still claim PPD eight years after the birth of my youngest?

TXMomof3 on November 9, 2010 at 8:59 PM

Oh, absolutely! DD was 6 when I got preggers with DS (now 2), but prior to that I always used her birth as the reason for my (ahem) “curves”. Example: “Gimme a break! I just had a baby 5 years ago!” Now of course I have a more recent example to point to, but hey, whatever works.

WaltzingMtilda on November 9, 2010 at 9:19 PM

esnap on November 9, 2010 at 9:00 PM

Poor nutrition? Well, I guess that makes taking the child okay then. Good catch, Mrs. Obama.

malclave on November 9, 2010 at 9:23 PM

Rational Thought on November 9, 2010 at 9:05 PM

I would have defended my child, by whatever means necessary. We are innocent in this country until proven guilty. If they showed up and said they had reasonable suspicion that the child had ingested drugs from the mother and wanted to test the child by the authority of a court order, then that’s something that can be discussed.

Showing up one day after your child comes home and saying you are walking out with the child and we can contact the government to find out what’s going on. Fat chance.

Hog Wild on November 9, 2010 at 9:24 PM

The hospital has no business testing pregnant mothers for drugs unless it is a condition for probation or something similar.

drflykilla on November 9, 2010 at 9:25 PM

This is what happens when narcissistic imbeciles are put in charge. Certainly we need MORE, not less.

AbeFroman on November 9, 2010 at 9:25 PM

Judging by a lot of people’s reactions, it sounds like the child would be raised by foster parents anyway what with the jail time and/or being an orphan.

This was inexcusable, unforgivable and a total abuse of power. If the mother tested positive, there should have been a repeat test; the baby’s negative test should have been taken into account; there could have been a CPS investigation, and THEN a decision could be made regarding the child.

To swoop in and grab a newborn baby over a positive drug test (even if it was actually drugs and not poppy seeds) without any kind of due process cannot stand. These folks need to sue everyone and everything involved in this case to within an inch of their lives (you can imagine how much I hate lawsuits, yet there sure is a time and a place for them).

To consider shooting at two policemen and two caseworkers is tempting in a hypothetical situation, but I can’t see doing your child a favor by having it orphaned on day 4 of it’s life. It’s bad enough they’ll never get those 5 days back, losing the child’s mother/father/both would be worse.

DrAllecon on November 9, 2010 at 9:37 PM

This is what happens when your society declares a “war” on drugs.

Just another innocent casualty in the war on Drugs, caught in the crossfire.

JohnGalt23 on November 9, 2010 at 8:06 PM

It’s a war on common sense.
Hey, heard a few days ago on the news that they(they meaning either health officials here in PA or it was HHS) were going to start screening all new mothers for depression several times each year. Mandatory screenings for depression. Why? Cause you’re a new mom and babies can make moms’ depressed and depressed moms abuse their kids.

Yeah, you know how easy it’s going to be to get diagnosed with depression? Pretty easy. And once you’re diagnosed, that diagnosis will mean you now have a mental illness. Mental illnesses mean a whole host of things like medications, caseworkers, therapies, loss of gun rights, loss of job opportunities, etc.
Hey, don’t worry, though, it’s just your government. They’re watching out for you.

JellyToast on November 9, 2010 at 9:45 PM

I am trying very hard to restrain myself from proposing solutions to this problem that would (probably rightly) get me banned from this site.

RINO in Name Only on November 9, 2010 at 9:46 PM

There are plenty of SoCons here in HA land that want the State involved in personal life choices such as drug use. Then there are expressions of outrage over an inevitable result such as this.

SoCon fail.

Freedom to fail doesn’t just include economically.

GnuBreed on November 9, 2010 at 9:46 PM

Absolutely ridiculous.

Conservative Bambina on November 9, 2010 at 9:54 PM

This is what all those ‘save the children’ shills have done to us.
Notice in the arena of CPS/Family Courts that the govt just can take your kid away on gossip from a cranky neighbor, vengeful ex-spouse, etc & NOTHING will happen to these people, even if they are to be found knowingly lying about the false report.
So in the guise of wanting to ‘save’ children from abuse, we actually encourage the abuse of children by letting the state suspend anyone’s Const rights to a fair trial etc. so that if someone catches a fainth whiff of something that doesn’t sound right, we just rip kids away from their families for indefinite periods of time. It is assumed this causes a child no harm of course.
Just so we’re clear on that.
We reap what we sow on this one.
Evilness.

Badger40 on November 9, 2010 at 9:58 PM

Dusty on November 9, 2010 at 8:06 PM

Nothing less than a smoking crater where the hospital used to be…

CurtZHP on November 9, 2010 at 10:00 PM

It seems pretty simple to me.
Everyone single person who is above Middle Management for the LCCYS needs to be fired immediately.
It could also possibly server a purpose to incarcerate each of them for 10 days OUT OF STATE to give them a slight feeling of the injustice. I honestly can’t get over this. The fact that the mother and father in this instance didn’t actually KILL someone over having their newborn taken away is in and of itself, evidence that they are good people who don’t deserve this mistreatment. I’m not sure I could say the same about myself if I were in their situation. Absolute travisty.

KMC1 on November 9, 2010 at 10:07 PM

This is what all those ‘save the children’ shills have done to us.
Just so we’re clear on that.
We reap what we sow on this one.
Evilness.

Badger40 on November 9, 2010 at 9:58 PM

Exactly! You’ve hit the nail on the head.
False reports of abuse and incompetent actions like what took place in PA actually cause abuse of children. But the state doesn’t care if they are the ones abusing kids.

The way to stop this crap is simple. Intentional false reports of abuse must be punishable. Incompetent actions by agencies that wrongly take children from parents must be punishable. Not just the agency involved, but the individual caseworkers and supervisors. Children need to be protected from real abuse regardless of where it comes from. Whether it parents, teachers, caseworkers or hospital staff!

JellyToast on November 9, 2010 at 10:20 PM

Horrific. I can’t imagine losing 5 of the first 8 days of my child’s life.

I wonder if there is more to the story that we’re not getting here; although it is hard to think of what that might be.

bitsy on November 9, 2010 at 10:21 PM

They should hire a lawyer to sue the hell out of that hospital, Social Services, the state and anyone else remoted associated with this atrocity.

Maybe women need to go back to having babies at home so that the Gestapo hospital can’t report them.

Common Sense on November 9, 2010 at 10:26 PM

I predict a sharp increase in poppy seed products and in unrelated news, an increase in lawsuits against hospitals with similar policies.

aikidoka on November 9, 2010 at 10:28 PM

All your babes are belong to us.

ronsfi on November 9, 2010 at 10:39 PM

I don’t even understand what the big attraction is to eating poppy seeds as a garnish. I don’t care about the freedom to eat stuff…I’m talking about the taste and the propensity for them to get caught between your teeth.

I mean, would anyone really miss them if they stopped putting them on bagels or in muffins?

James on November 9, 2010 at 10:50 PM

Save us,lord, from the dogooders.

DFCtomm on November 9, 2010 at 10:55 PM

This was a non-story from a week or so back; look: if it were that easy to pop on a drug test, there would be opiates in the seeds (which are processed to take them out), which would be stolen/hijacked from every Dunkin’ Donuts, Panera Bread, and any other bakery using them.

It don’t work that way, Elaine. Something else is afoot.

HAnthonyWayne on November 9, 2010 at 10:59 PM

And if you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor.

And if your doctor likes your baby, he can keep your baby.

profitsbeard on November 9, 2010 at 11:12 PM

All your babes are belong to us.

ronsfi on November 9, 2010 at 10:39 PM

FTW

WaltzingMtilda on November 9, 2010 at 11:18 PM

She can thank her lucky stars she wasn’t prosecuted under $haria (however it’s soon coming to a neighborhood near you). Those looney psychopaths would gladly bury her up to her waist and pelt her with rocks until she bled to death from blunt force trauma, just like they do to women and teenage girls in Iran and Saudi Arabia.

bannedbyhuffpo on November 9, 2010 at 11:20 PM

It don’t work that way, Elaine. Something else is afoot.

HAnthonyWayne on November 9, 2010 at 10:59 PM

If you had bothered to watch the video then you would realize it’s possible. The video is very close to accurate since it states the threshold for the test kits they used is 300 ng just as the hospital’s test threshold.

DFCtomm on November 9, 2010 at 11:21 PM

James on November 9, 2010 at 10:50 PM

My granny used to make real poppy-seed buns on the farm. If you cook and mash and grind the poppy seeds they turn into a kind of creamy mash. She would fill buns with that filling, much like you make a jelly-filled donut. Each bun would have about a heaping tablespoon of them. Fresh baked, mmm-good.

slickwillie2001 on November 9, 2010 at 11:24 PM

Here’s another one from a few weeks ago, an ex-con that went back to jail because of a poppy-seed fail: Poppy-Seed Bagel Triggers Kafka-esque Nightmare

slickwillie2001 on November 9, 2010 at 11:27 PM

This poppy-seed eating scumbag is probably the kind of mother who would buy the kid a Happy Meal: she must be destroyed and banished forever from the Liberal Utopia!!!

/SARC>

landlines on November 9, 2010 at 11:36 PM

I’m just glad Obama didn’t leave the baby in the soiled linen room to starve to death.

Mojave Mark on November 9, 2010 at 11:49 PM

This would never happen in Texas:

1. The sheriff isn’t stupid enough to show up at someone’s house with caseworkers to take a baby.

2. Castle doctrine.

Vashta.Nerada on November 9, 2010 at 11:59 PM

Now that they mention it, I do recall overdosing on H&H bagels several times in my life.

My folks couldn’t handle it. I would have poppy and sesame seeds and dehydrated bits of onion and garlic all over my shirt, lap, the table, chairs and floor. But I’ve been clean now for years.

Shy Guy on November 10, 2010 at 12:21 AM

I would lose my job over this. There is NO WAY IN HELL I would take a newborn child from it’s mother for such a flimsy reason. NO WAY. To “Follow Orders” makes you as guilty as the evil S.O.B.’s who made the orders. And yes, this kind of mindless power grab is evil. Those in the state who think our children are only “our” children at the pleasure of the state are as maniacal as chairman Mao and just as self-deluded that they are doing good.

flyfishingdad on November 10, 2010 at 12:31 AM

The question is, what lies at the end or even the middle of this path?
The Socialist policies of the UK are made an example of by the left as to what good can come of state intervention.
Yes…things are just lovely there…
And this is the path they seek, the one they like, the one full of power over man, where the individual means nothing for the good of the many. Thus the many become nothing and the state becomes all and all for the good of the people.
God will not help us. We must help ourselves. The Constitution is not subject to the interpretation of the passing Presidents or various representatives whom we hire and fire. It is the foundation of this nation and cannot be “re-interpreted” to suit those in power.
The UK was once a free country. One could speak ones mind without fear of being labeled racist or extreme unless one was actually a racist or an extremist! Oh wait…
I’ll have to give this some thought…

Army Brat on November 10, 2010 at 12:44 AM

There was a time when Britain took pride in offering a safe haven to the victims of tyrannies in other countries. Today we see this in reverse, with scores of families each year fleeing this country as the only way to escape a vicious system bent on seizing their newborn children for no good reason.
Roger and Carol lived happily in Doncaster with their five-year-old daughter. One day last November they had a marital disagreement, involving no more than raised voices. They were overheard by a neighbour who called the police. The couple were arrested and held for nine hours before being released without charge. But the police had summoned the social workers to remove the child, who had not been harmed in any way other than hearing her parents having a row – as countless children do every day.

The social workers obtained an interim care order, on the grounds that the child was “at risk of emotional harm”, and gave her to Roger’s parents, both of whom have worked for the police. Relations were amicable, but the grandparents insisted on working closely with the social workers. The parents were only allowed contact with their daughter in a filthy little “contact room” in the local social services office. As is usual, the parents were told that if they showed any emotion their contact would be stopped. In February, under this strain, Carol had a miscarriage.
Last June, puzzled at why the interim care order had not been renewed as the law requires, Carol called the court. She was told that the order had lapsed three months earlier. When her husband confirmed this by a second call to the court, Carol drove to her in-laws’ home to explain that there was no longer any legal reason why her daughter could not be returned to her. Her mother-in-law protested, but the child was so overjoyed to go home that she ran to get into her mother’s car. The mother-in-law stood in front of the car but Carol reversed and drove off.

When her daughter said she was hungry, they stopped at a motorway service station. The grandmother had alerted the police, the car number was picked up by a camera and before long Carol (who was pregnant again) was arrested, handcuffed and pushed into a police van. At the police station, she collapsed and was taken to hospital. Next day she was driven back to Doncaster and interviewed four times. The police confirmed there was no care order in place but, to her astonishment, Carol was told she would be charged with assaulting her mother-in-law, although there had been no physical contact between them. She was released after midnight.
It gets much worse. Enough to make someone have to escape their own country. Don’t think it couldn’t happen here…looks like it’s well started.

Army Brat on November 10, 2010 at 12:50 AM

That doctor attended the Juliard School of Medicine.

leftnomore on November 10, 2010 at 3:24 AM

This is what happens when your society declares a “war” on drugs.

JohnGalt23 on November 9, 2010 at 8:06 PM

This has nothing to do with the ‘War On Drugs’. This is the liberal war on parenthood – because parents are stupid and can’t be trusted with the care of their own children, especially when the state can do it so much better.

Besides, if we left it up to the parents, the child might grow up to be *shudder* a conservative.

Timothy S. Carlson on November 10, 2010 at 5:11 AM

…the kind of mother who would buy the kid a Happy Meal…

LOL – that’s funny right there.

————————

A soon-to-come news story?

“A young mother was shot and killed by police today, after she refused to stop after buying her child a happy meal at a McDonald’s drive-thru.”

“‘We first noticed that the vehicle had a child seat in the back of the vehicle. And then we saw she was eating an “everything” bagel’, said one officer. ‘Then I saw the happy meal coming out from the drive-thru window. I knew we had to stop her.’”

“‘As she pulled out from the drive-thru, we drew our weapons and ordered her to stop. She still had the bagel in her hand. That’s when we opened fire’, the officer said”.

“The police department released the following statement: ‘No policies were violated and the police officers will not be facing disciplinary action. Our department’s first priority is the protection of the child. We consider the matter closed.’”

Custodial Engineer of the House Nancy Pelosi applauded the police action.

Timothy S. Carlson on November 10, 2010 at 5:31 AM

Army Brat on November 10, 2010 at 12:50 AM

Dear God. I would never talk to my in-laws again if they did something like this, and I would take my children the hell out of that country.

Vera on November 10, 2010 at 7:54 AM

keep the change on November 9, 2010 at 8:33 PM

Of course. Peterman fired her for, what did he say, being on the horse? Poppy seed bagel. Ugh.

Paul-Cincy on November 10, 2010 at 8:06 AM