Congressional Black Caucus: Yes, Allen West and Tim Scott are welcome to join

posted at 1:46 pm on November 9, 2010 by Allahpundit

They can join. But should they?

In an e-mail to The Daily Caller this morning, CBC Chairwoman Barbara Lee, California Democrat, wrote that both of the recently elected African-American Republicans, West and South Carolina’s Tim Scott, will be accepted if they decide to join.

“During the 40-year history of the Congressional Black Caucus there have been three African-American Republican members of the House of Representatives. Two, Congressmen Melvin Evans of the Virgin Islands and Gary Franks of Connecticut, decided to join the Congressional Black Caucus, however, Congressman J.C. Watts of Oklahoma did not,” Lee wrote.

She continued, “Membership in the Congressional Black Caucus has never been restricted to Democrats. Should either of the two African-American Republicans recently elected to the House of Representatives request membership in the Congressional Black Caucus they will be welcomed.”

The last Republican member of the CBC left in 1996. As you’ll see near the end of the clip below, West is intent on joining on grounds that he is, after all, fully qualified for membership, notwithstanding the fact that members of the CBC mobilized to try to defeat him in his race against Ron Klein. It’s smart politics: He’ll break the liberal stranglehold on the caucus and, presumably, make Democratic members think twice before campaigning against him again in 2012. And yet, I’m sympathetic to Tim Scott’s principled assimilationist reluctance to participate in any org drawn along racial lines. Quote: “My experience has been the whole notion of one nation — so I really shy away things that create some kind of boundaries. … It highlights the divisions I’ve been pushing forward to erase.”

Comments

Infiltrate and report Congressman Scott & West.

I want to know what goes on in this secretive organization.

portlandon on November 9, 2010 at 1:49 PM

WOW! They can ‘join’. As the old expression goes “That’s awful WHITE of them!”

But they’ll still probably have to sit in the back.

GarandFan on November 9, 2010 at 1:49 PM

Col West will slap ‘em all into place.

OmahaConservative on November 9, 2010 at 1:50 PM

It’s about to get real up in there for real.

Egfrow on November 9, 2010 at 1:50 PM

Diluting the pool of leftism.

esnap on November 9, 2010 at 1:51 PM

I’d love to see the ol’ crook Maxine’s face when they show up.

OmahaConservative on November 9, 2010 at 1:52 PM

Yeah but if you did that, every PC Puss in Congress would flood the caucus and the blacks would be in the minority again.

Patrick S on November 9, 2010 at 1:53 PM

I love being in clubs in which I drive the majority nuts – particularly when they are so far out of the mainstream. It’s a very rewarding hobby.

perroviejo on November 9, 2010 at 1:53 PM

The Congressional Hispanic Caucus is all Dems too. Several Hispanic Republicans won this year – anyone heard anything about them joining or even being welcomed into the CHC?

Brat on November 9, 2010 at 1:54 PM

Gene Green here in Houston tried to join either the CBC or CHC – I think the latter – back when he was first elected because his district was majority minority and it was a surprise when he won the primary, but he was denied due to his being white. It’s all race based on the left.

lizzie beth on November 9, 2010 at 1:55 PM

Col West will slap ‘em all into place.

OmahaConservative on November 9, 2010 at 1:50 PM

You! Say the Pledge of Allegiance or drop down and give me 30 push-ups! Heh.

perroviejo on November 9, 2010 at 1:55 PM

Brat on November 9, 2010 at 1:54 PM

It’s not like there aren’t any Hispanic Republicans in office currently, there are at least 3, I think there are a couple more. None are in the CHC.

lizzie beth on November 9, 2010 at 1:56 PM

“Some of my best friends are Conservative.”

SlimyBill on November 9, 2010 at 1:58 PM

He could start a new organization and call it the Congressional Blacker Caucus and issue dueling press releases.

pedestrian on November 9, 2010 at 1:59 PM

West will have an opportunity to show his fellow CBC members how much damage is being done by liberal policies. Where better to find converts than among a den full of your opponents?

hawksruleva on November 9, 2010 at 2:00 PM

West, becareful of what you walk on. Them snakes may be poison!

upinak on November 9, 2010 at 2:02 PM

My dad really wanted me to join the Loyal Order of Moose. He was highly active in the Moose, and could talk for hours about their philanthropies.

I was at the Lodge as his guest when I first examined the application. I discovered that I had, amongst other things, to be white and a professed believer in a supreme being. I could handle the profession of belief in a supreme being as a membership restriction (I pray the Creed every Sunday in church), but I couldn’t handle the racial requirement, so I told my dad I’d think about it and then, later, in private, gave him my viewpoint as to why I would not be joining. He understood in a regretful sort of way, but never brought it up again.

Any person who joins a racial organization is, to me, a racist. That’s how I viewed the members of the Moose, and that’s how I view the CBC.

unclesmrgol on November 9, 2010 at 2:04 PM

The two different positions of these men is what makes Republicans different from Democrats. There is no group think going on here, no primal desire to belong to a group from which to gain your identity and no recriminations amongst them as to the others opinion on joining or not joining.

You see liberals, that is what freedom is all about. It will be interesting to see which one the liberal pundits attack and why or pass the popcorn while they try to criticize both while holding some sort of narrative together why both are wrong.

In the matter of Col West I just think COIN.

Just A Grunt on November 9, 2010 at 2:05 PM

I think they should. I wonder how much the current membership will have to censor itself, with conservatives in their midst.

disa on November 9, 2010 at 2:10 PM

hawksruleva on November 9, 2010 at 2:00 PM

Perfect venue for reasoned argument. Not holding my breath, though. How to convince black Democrats that their policies are hurting black Democrats?

disa on November 9, 2010 at 2:13 PM

I agree…I like how both are approaching it, actually.

changer1701 on November 9, 2010 at 2:14 PM

National White Caucus anyone? Anyone? Anyone? Oh yeah, that would be bad to limit the group based on race wouldn’t it,

rgranger on November 9, 2010 at 2:14 PM

In the matter of Col West I just think COIN.

Just A Grunt on November 9, 2010 at 2:05 PM

In other words, find out what the “other guys” are up to, then report back to the boss (Boehner). Col. West probably knows what he’s doing.

Steve Z on November 9, 2010 at 2:35 PM

I think it would be well beneath either of these men (or any other self-respecting human being, for that matter) to embrace a “club” that qualifies entry solely by the trivial measure of genetically-determined skin melanin levels. The significant thing about both of these guys is the quality of their ideas. Nobody who supports them gives a flying flip about their ancestry.

Blacklake on November 9, 2010 at 2:36 PM

If there was a National Hispanic Caucus, would they invite Marco Rubio?

Steve Z on November 9, 2010 at 2:36 PM

Col. West’s presence in the CBC will just be an opportunity to annoy and inconvenience them, which is worthwhile. In the “official” CBC meetings, they will keep things above board and civil (maybe). They will still hold their real meetings without him. Informally, of course, maybe at Denny’s over pancakes.

iurockhead on November 9, 2010 at 2:45 PM

“I would never join an organization that would accept me as a member !” ~~ Groucho Marx

RedPepper on November 9, 2010 at 2:51 PM

Colonel West is impressive…wow!!! That interview on CNN was awesome.

Chudi on November 9, 2010 at 3:03 PM

win

YehuditTX on November 9, 2010 at 3:15 PM

“One way to ease (if not erase) Scott’s concerns would be to open the caucus to white members too, of course. But while the CBC is fully prepared to endorse white candidates over black ones, the door to the club for the moment remains closed.”

One way to show the CBC to be the fools that they are is to insist on entry based on fractions. Many of us that can trace their family roots within the US for more than a hundred years can credibly claim a black fraction of 1/8, 1/16, whatever. Force the fools to define the fraction required for entry, demonstrating their racism.

slickwillie2001 on November 9, 2010 at 3:26 PM

I am surprised. Thought they would rename themselves the Congressional Democratic Black Caucus.

perries on November 9, 2010 at 3:26 PM

I think they should join simply to tweak the far left caucus. Plus, it’s better to be in the room and listen to what’s being said than be on the outside.

jonezee on November 9, 2010 at 3:31 PM

Hmm,…did I miss something? I mean didn’t somebody somewhere say it’s not about the color of ones skin?

Seems as if now that’s all it’s about.

christene on November 9, 2010 at 3:56 PM

Can he show up to his first meeting in full dress uniform? That would certainly make an impression!

ctmom on November 9, 2010 at 3:59 PM

Scott and the Republican Hispanics ought to beat them at their own game: Start an alternative to the CBC and CHC, open to EVERYONE opposed to racism. Whites who have claimed they would join the CBC if they could will have join it; then the CBC & CHC will have to either join, or be even more obviously separatists.

Rosa Parks didn’t break the “back of the bus” rule by riding in the front of an all-black bus. Similarly, racial lines in government won’t go away by caucusing only with people of the same race.

RegularJoe on November 9, 2010 at 4:53 PM

RegularJoe on November 9, 2010 at 4:53 PM

+100

unclesmrgol on November 9, 2010 at 5:27 PM

I agree…I like how both are approaching it, actually.

changer1701 on November 9, 2010 at 2:14 PM

I think it’s great how both of these guys are handling the invite in totally opposite ways….shows who the real “big tent” Party is, I should think.

dmh0667 on November 9, 2010 at 5:32 PM

Get in the back of the bus!

johnboy on November 9, 2010 at 6:05 PM

Amazing….No one has said it yet….

TOKEN!

OK, I’m going to hell.

Random Numbers (Brian Epps) on November 9, 2010 at 6:33 PM

I wonder how much taxpayers will have to shell out for the “Republicans Only” drinking fountain at the CBC.

Left Coast Right Mind on November 9, 2010 at 9:54 PM

Where’s the Congressional White Caucus? The Congressional Irish-American Caucus? The Congressional Swedish-American Caucus? The Congressional Purple Caucus?

These kinds of organizations should be forbidden in the modern United States government.

Common Sense on November 9, 2010 at 10:37 PM

Wow that was the kindest I’ve ever seen a CNN host be to a Republican.

The Expert Knows