Quotes of the day

posted at 10:30 pm on November 8, 2010 by Allahpundit

“The Secret Service wanted to get me to Air Force One, and fast. As the motorcade charged down Florida Route 41, I called Condi from the secure phone in the limo. She told me there had been a third plane crash, this one into the Pentagon. I sat back in my seat and absorbed her words. My thoughts clarified: The first plane could have been an accident. The second was definitely an attack. The third was a declaration of war.

“My blood was boiling. We were going to find out who did this, and kick their ass…

“While my emotions might have been similar to those of most Americans, my duties were not. There would be time later to mourn. There would be an opportunity to seek justice. But first I had to manage the crisis. We had suffered the most devastating surprise attack since Pearl Harbor. An enemy had struck our capital for the first time since the War of 1812. In a single morning, the purpose of my presidency had grown clear: to protect our people and defend our freedom that had come under attack…”

***
“I am at peace. I was honored to serve the country. I gave it my all. I’m not desperate to try to shape a legacy, because I fully understand that there needs to be time for history to be able to analyze–for historians to be able to analyze the decisions I made. I’m a content guy. I’ve got a great marriage. I’ve got a lot of friends.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

God bless “W”

dmann on November 8, 2010 at 10:32 PM

Yes, I miss you…

d1carter on November 8, 2010 at 10:33 PM

I miss GW for this but not for much else.

chemman on November 8, 2010 at 10:34 PM

Thank you for loving, serving and protecting our country, Mr. President. I wish the current occupant of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue did.

kingsjester on November 8, 2010 at 10:34 PM

Dubya..we miss you!..:)

Dire Straits on November 8, 2010 at 10:35 PM

The 2004 election was too close and it put a scare into GW. unfortunately his staff started resigning once thelef became vitriolic. And he replaced too many of them from the RINO wing in a terrible attempt to move to the center.

His first term was a great success with all the challenges we faced. his second term was a disaster because he turned from conservatives like Cheney to listen to the rinos.

William Amos on November 8, 2010 at 10:37 PM

Thank you for your service and stewardship, Mr. Bush.

You are missed.

Bruno Strozek on November 8, 2010 at 10:37 PM

Never once doubted he loves America.

byepartisan on November 8, 2010 at 10:38 PM

I think legions of people who never, ever dreamed they’d miss W, do miss him. A lot.

anXdem on November 8, 2010 at 10:38 PM

Gee, where’s the arrogance we’ve become accustomed to from the current occupant of the White House?

GarandFan on November 8, 2010 at 10:38 PM

God Bless You George W. Bush…!

Seven Percent Solution on November 8, 2010 at 10:39 PM

I am just glad to see that neither he nor his dad are out being buffoons , like the other living presidents.

bbz123 on November 8, 2010 at 10:41 PM

I know he loved his country (unlike the current resident of the White House), but to me, he’ll always be remembered for “I’ve abandoned free-market principles to save the free market system” which has led to our country’s current economic woes.

rmgraha on November 8, 2010 at 10:42 PM

“The first plane could have been an accident. The second was definitely an attack. The third was a declaration of war.”

This from someone who truly understands the world…

Compared to this piece of bovine fecal matter.

Seven Percent Solution on November 8, 2010 at 10:43 PM

bbz123 on November 8, 2010 at 10:41 PM

True dat!

rmgraha on November 8, 2010 at 10:43 PM

Georgie Porgie…
I do wish you’d realize that your legacy is continually in the making.

We have given you a LOT of latitude and still expect more from you.

Don’t forget who got you where you are and who you are.
First and foremost, it is my wish that you

join HA.
Go Rangers!

OkieDoc on November 8, 2010 at 10:44 PM

I wish he had defended his presidency and command decisions as well as defended the nation.

We might have avoided the O-disaster now upon us.

profitsbeard on November 8, 2010 at 10:45 PM

There was never any doubt but that he loves this country. We all know what the current occupant of the Oval Office thinks of it.

disa on November 8, 2010 at 10:45 PM

I miss him, too – warts and all.

OldEnglish on November 8, 2010 at 10:46 PM

“… but to me, he’ll always be remembered for “I’ve abandoned free-market principles to save the free market system” which has led to our country’s current economic woes.

rmgraha on November 8, 2010 at 10:42 PM”

Really…?

… and don’t forget about the initial cause.

Seven Percent Solution on November 8, 2010 at 10:47 PM

President Bush always had the best interests of the United States of America at heart.

I really appreciate all that President and Laura Bush did for our country. And the sacrifices that their family made while he was in office.

I am looking forward to reading Decision Points.

wren on November 8, 2010 at 10:47 PM

More of this, less bowing…immediately.

SouthernGent on November 8, 2010 at 10:49 PM

A flawed presidency. A class act and a cat who took the gig seriously.

No doubt 9/11 shook him became his obsession to a fault during his presidency.

However, after standing atop the smoldering ruins of the WTC in Manhattan with stench of death in the air, I can say, I would of been similarly single minded for the rest of my term.

rickyricardo on November 8, 2010 at 10:52 PM

rmgraha on November 8, 2010 at 10:42 PM

The subprime mortgage debacle, spearheaded by former HUD Secretary Andy Cuomo and protected legislatively by a$$hats like Bwaney Fwank and Chris Dud are the reason our economy crashed.

anXdem on November 8, 2010 at 10:54 PM

So now we’re giving Bushitler the QOTD honorific?

I am appalled.

Grow Fins, Crr6, Sesquipiswampfog, et al on November 8, 2010 at 10:55PM

hillbillyjim on November 8, 2010 at 10:55 PM

The night Obama won the election, someone here at HA posted (the best I can remember) “sleep well tonight, it’s our last night of feeling secure with GWB as our president”.

If nothing else, Bush needs to be remembered as the man who guarded the gates for us at all costs.

sherry on November 8, 2010 at 10:56 PM

I miss him too and I cant wait to read his book.

HawaiiLwyr on November 8, 2010 at 10:57 PM

Absence makes the heart grow fonder, particularly compared to JugEars. Just don’t forget that Medicare Part D, the biggest entitlement expansion in decades, came from him and a (R) controlled Congress in 2003.

He was no fiscal hero for the US. From Wiki:

Former Congressman Billy Tauzin, R-La., who steered the bill through the House, retired soon after and took a $2 million a year job as president of Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA), the main industry lobbying group. Medicare boss Thomas Scully, who threatened to fire Medicare Chief Actuary Richard Foster if he reported how much the bill would actually cost, was negotiating for a new job as a pharmaceutical lobbyist as the bill was working through Congress.[25][26] A total of 14 congressional aides quit their jobs to work for the drug and medical lobbies immediately after the bill’s passage.

I’m just slowing down the lovefest a touch. He did manage to play less golf though. JugHead has continued many of W’s foreign policies, including a large uptick in drone strikes.

GnuBreed on November 8, 2010 at 10:58 PM

A good man.

publiuspen on November 8, 2010 at 10:59 PM

Man I wanted to see the Matt Lauer interview but I missed it. Anyone know if it posted online anywhere?

terryannonline on November 8, 2010 at 10:59 PM

Yep, I miss Dubya. Missed him on 21 January 2009. Miss him still.

J.E. Dyer on November 8, 2010 at 10:59 PM

W made some mistakes, but at least he was truly acting in the interests of this country and her citizens as he saw fit. Sometimes he knocked it out of the park; sometimes he struck out. He is human.

God bless you and yours, Dubya.

hillbillyjim on November 8, 2010 at 10:59 PM

….miss you every day.

LEBA on November 8, 2010 at 11:00 PM

“The word jihad has several different meanings and different interpretations….” — Barack Obama

“We were going to find out who did this, and kick their ass…” — George Bush

John the Libertarian on November 8, 2010 at 11:01 PM

I watched his interview tonight with Lauer. The man`s character is so much the opposite of Obama`s.

He has character.

ThePrez on November 8, 2010 at 11:02 PM

I miss you W, I may not have agreed with you some of the time, but I respected you all of the time

Cookies Mom on November 8, 2010 at 11:03 PM

John the Libertarian on November 8, 2010 at 11:01 PM

Excellent observation.

sherry on November 8, 2010 at 11:04 PM

Bloody hell, do I ever miss him.

For some reason, people think that by missing him, one automatically gives his entire presidency a flawless grade.

This isn’t true (or fair), but compared to Mr. Obama, George W. Bush was indeed the shining example of what to expect from an American president. I look forward to the book, and I hope he doesn’t pull any punches.

You-Eh-Vee on November 8, 2010 at 11:04 PM

John the Libertarian on November 8, 2010 at 11:01 PM

Excellent post..says it all doesn’t it..:)

Dire Straits on November 8, 2010 at 11:04 PM

rickyricardo on November 8, 2010 at 10:52 PM

Fighter pilots tend to be myopic

dmann on November 8, 2010 at 11:05 PM

Worst thing to ever happen to conservatism

George W Bush.

TimeTraveler on November 8, 2010 at 11:07 PM

I miss him. He wasn’t perfect, he spent too much, but you always knew he loved this country.

ladyingray on November 8, 2010 at 11:07 PM

TimeTraveler on November 8, 2010 at 11:07 PM

and Al Gore would have served us better?

dmann on November 8, 2010 at 11:08 PM

This from someone who truly understands the world…

Seven Percent Solution on November 8, 2010 at 10:43 PM

Agree, but he did not understand Islam and Islamists. His naive outreach to Muslim organizations in this country proved that. Islam is not a religion of peace, Mr. President. Hopefully, you have come to realize that.

Connie on November 8, 2010 at 11:10 PM

OT: Here is a letter from a 22 year Air Force veteran that you might want to read, describing why he resigned. Atlas shrugged.

GnuBreed on November 8, 2010 at 11:11 PM

Connie on November 8, 2010 at 11:10 PM

and prior to 9/11 Islam was defined as what?????

dmann on November 8, 2010 at 11:13 PM

Second best president of the last 50 years. The purists and back seat drivers sound pretty ridiculous when their criticisms are held up to that fact.

You may not miss his presidency now, but you will after another Obama, another Clinton, another GHW Bush, another Carter, another Ford, another Johnson, another Kennedy…

When you are reminded that there is only one Reagan, and that most presidents suck pretty bad in comparison, you will miss George W Bush. A near-great president.

American Elephant on November 8, 2010 at 11:13 PM

The love that was shown when President Bush threw out the first pitch down yonder in Texas is indicative of the man’s connection to the people; to the real people, as opposed to the beltway buttholes and the elite snobs in the media.

Good on ya, GB43.

hillbillyjim on November 8, 2010 at 11:13 PM

I’ve missed him since 1/20/09…

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on November 8, 2010 at 11:13 PM

A true leader….

……..Thank you W.

Baxter Greene on November 8, 2010 at 11:14 PM

A good man and a class act. Better than the two presidents before him, and the one after him.

I wish him nothing but a long and happy life doing whatever he loves.

gary4205 on November 8, 2010 at 11:14 PM

God bless you, Dubya. I miss you, man. I don’t miss the compassionate conservative big spending, but I sure do miss you.

SilentWatcher on November 8, 2010 at 11:16 PM

and prior to 9/11 Islam was defined as what?????

dmann on November 8, 2010 at 11:13 PM

By Bill Clinton? A religion worthy of infiltrating our educational system.

Connie on November 8, 2010 at 11:18 PM

GnuBreed on November 8, 2010 at 11:11 PM

Thank you for posting that.

I’m not sure whether I should be angry or sad that such an asset should be lost to us.

OldEnglish on November 8, 2010 at 11:28 PM

SOMETHING IN CAPS!

~Dave Rywall

Inanemergencydial on November 8, 2010 at 11:29 PM

Great interview. I was impressed by how relaxed GWB looks and how easily he handled Matt Lauer. He has the humility to admit when he was wrong, the backbone to take responsibility for the tough decisions, and the character to refuse to be led by polls. Mistakes and all, the best president since Reagan.

waterat31 on November 8, 2010 at 11:29 PM

I may have questioned a decision or a policy, but I never once questioned the man’s integrity. I never thought he put himself or his party ahead of what he believed in his heart to be right (even when I disagreed strongly).

That’s why I have no doubt he’s not concerned on bit about shaping his own legacy like other scoundrels who have dishonored and defiled that Office.

TheBigOldDog on November 8, 2010 at 11:34 PM

I don’t jest when I say we’d be a better country if the Democrat Party was more similar to George W Bush. Alas, the Dems have nothing nice to say about their country and seem to insist on bringing us closer and closer to the rest of the world’s less than impressive way of life.

MeatHeadinCA on November 8, 2010 at 11:36 PM

OldEnglish on November 8, 2010 at 11:28 PM

I’m with you. Contrast that loss to the libs bemoaning the centuries of legislative experience lost in our latest elections.

We must do more of this to prevent more Colonel Banzets from leaving the service.

GnuBreed on November 8, 2010 at 11:38 PM

TheBigOldDog on November 8, 2010 at 11:34 PM

Connie on November 8, 2010 at 11:41 PM

TheBigOldDog on November 8, 2010 at 11:34 PM

BigDog, I haven’t conversed much with you over the span of HotAir’s existence, though we’ve both been here a good while. It’s because usually you’ve covered the ground I was ready to plough. You’ve usually said what needed to be said on the post at hand.

This time I feel compelled to say:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“What he said.”

As ever, you are correct.

God Bless GWB 41 and 43, and PLEASE GOD BLESS AMERICA.

hillbillyjim on November 8, 2010 at 11:41 PM

… and don’t forget about the initial cause.

Seven Percent Solution on November 8, 2010 at 10:47 PM

I haven’t. But pursuing democrat ‘solutions’ to democrat problems is the best way to make those problem worse. That’s what GWB did — made the problem worse.

I don’t fault him for his love of country, or for his actions in the aftermath of 9/11. I especially do not fault him for Katrina. But I do fault him for trying to ‘get along’ with democrats instead of holding them responsible for their malfeasance, and then helping them out instead of fighting back. I cannot think of a single time when Bush fought the democrats.

rmgraha on November 8, 2010 at 11:42 PM

Connie on November 8, 2010 at 11:18 PM

2nd try……HO screens scrubbed me 15 minutes ago…sorry! Saudi oil keeps us dishonest and in the crosshairs. Until we openly admit that reality and force the Royal Family to let “traditional goat herding” Islam evolve, we best prepare/accept a worst case scenario whereby Iran nukes the gulf and not Israel.

dmann on November 8, 2010 at 11:49 PM

I cannot think of a single time when Bush fought the democrats.

rmgraha on November 8, 2010 at 11:42 PM

Not even one?

hillbillyjim on November 8, 2010 at 11:49 PM

MeatHeadinCA on November 8, 2010 at 11:36 PM

Yup, he’s in Obama’s in India learning how to apply the cast system to America.

The left has a poor memory of history and sense of comprehension. For example, a tax cut is not giving money away.

Kini on November 8, 2010 at 11:49 PM

Just got through watching the Lauer interview and President Bush was so impressive. His honesty is unquestionable, and he is a very decent man. It makes you appreciate his leadership so much when you compare him to Obama. I can’t imagine Obama having to deal with 9/11 in his detached way. Bush took nothing off Matt when he tried to hang something on him.

silvernana on November 8, 2010 at 11:52 PM

May God bless “W” and Laura!

Bubba Redneck on November 8, 2010 at 11:56 PM

Kini on November 8, 2010 at 11:49 P

You have to remember: the left have selective memory.

They can’t seem to recall that when we slashed taxes, that federal receipt of money increased substantially.

They don’t want to remember that their philosophy has been proven wrong, so they stick their widdle fingers in their widdle ears and yell: “Na na na na na.”

Denial to the nth degree. As long as they get away with their thievery, they’ll never quit. At some point, we’ve got to demand an accounting from the lot of them, Democrat, Republican, and otherwise.

hillbillyjim on November 8, 2010 at 11:57 PM

I cannot think of a single time when Bush fought the democrats.

Try harder.

You-Eh-Vee on November 8, 2010 at 11:59 PM

Kini on November 8, 2010 at 11:49 PM

Well, from the Left’s point of view, it is giving money away. Think about it. If one is a leftist, one most likely believes that the benevolent government has ALLOWED the individual to keep the money they do have. It’s not really the individual’s money or earnings. And, no, I’m not going to claim the Left believes it’s God’s money either. The Left views that money as the government’s to redistribute as needed.

MeatHeadinCA on November 8, 2010 at 11:59 PM

“We were going to find out who did this, and kick their ass…” — George Bush

John the Libertarian on November 8, 2010 at 11:01 PM

The best comparison I have ever heard!

Bubba Redneck on November 9, 2010 at 12:00 AM

You have to remember: the left have selective memory.

hillbillyjim on November 8, 2010 at 11:57 PM

I’m not even sure the Left has forgotten or doesn’t want to admit they failed. They are determined to expand the role of government and the failures that we point out are at best (or worse?) necessary evils.

MeatHeadinCA on November 9, 2010 at 12:02 AM

hillbillyjim on November 8, 2010 at 11:57 PM

According to Captain Barack Ahab, that’s the policies that got us into trouble.

A Harvard education isn’t what it used to be.

Kini on November 9, 2010 at 12:08 AM

At the beginning of the 21st Century, in our Darkest hour, a good man picked us up, and provided us a shoulder to lean on.

Steel to fortify our resolve.
And comfort to dull our grief.

I, for one, am grateful for that man.

juanito on November 9, 2010 at 12:09 AM

Heck, right now, the way things are, I’m missing Hubert Heaver!

Shy Guy on November 9, 2010 at 12:12 AM

The Left views that money as the government’s to redistribute as needed.

MeatHeadinCA on November 8, 2010 at 11:59 PM

Like personal property. Ownership is repugnant.

Individualism – phfttt!

Kini on November 9, 2010 at 12:12 AM

A Harvard education isn’t what it used to be.

Kini on November 9, 2010 at 12:08 AM

Not only that… but according to the chatter amongst the politicos, because Barry went Ivy League all the way, he struggles to relate to the community college and state uni Americans… Yeah, if only we were able to communicate with Dear Leader on his level. Unfortunately, at Ivy League schools, they don’t teach Communicating to the Dirty Masses 101.

MeatHeadinCA on November 9, 2010 at 12:13 AM

Individualism – phfttt!

Kini on November 9, 2010 at 12:12 AM

Individualism = Horrific Selfish Acts or something.

MeatHeadinCA on November 9, 2010 at 12:15 AM

they don’t teach Communicating to the Dirty Masses 101.

MeatHeadinCA on November 9, 2010 at 12:13 AM

THOUGH, I do wonder if Keith Olbermann took this at Cornell Ag.

MeatHeadinCA on November 9, 2010 at 12:17 AM

I’m watching the Lauer interview right now and the biggest impression I’ve had is how there is no whining from him, he takes responsibility, never blames anyone else and stands by what he did, no matter how it is viewed by others. That is a rare and precious quality, as we’ve all learned the hard way.

lizzie beth on November 9, 2010 at 12:20 AM

I will always remember the Bush years fondly.

There were dark times and uncertainty, to be sure, but there was prosperity and security also. Bush served with grace under pressure. He didn’t demean the office of the Presidency like Obama repeatably has done.

Dude!

Kini on November 9, 2010 at 12:21 AM

never blames anyone else and stands by what he did

lizzie beth on November 9, 2010 at 12:20 AM

Are you sure he didn’t bring up how the American people just didn’t understand his brilliance?

MeatHeadinCA on November 9, 2010 at 12:23 AM

Bush is a patriot and good man. He was a good president who accomplished what was most important for the nation in a time of great peril. He was dishonestly and mercilessly besmirched by the leftist propaganda machine.

Obama is a poseur- an ignorant, arrogant, lazy, lying, leftist con artist who hates this country. He was relentlessly promoted and protected by the leftist propaganda machine.

Bush will always be cheered when he appears in a crowd of patriots.
Obama will never appear before a crowd of patriots. And if he accidentally does, parents will shield their children’s ears and eyes.

justltl on November 9, 2010 at 12:25 AM

Dude!

Kini on November 9, 2010 at 12:21 AM

da kine, bra

John the Libertarian on November 9, 2010 at 12:37 AM

Heck, right now, the way things are, I’m missing Hubert Heaver!

Shy Guy on November 9, 2010 at 12:12 AM

Lol, where’ve you been?

OkieDoc on November 9, 2010 at 12:40 AM

He was a President who was a President FOR The United States of America as a whole! Can anyone say that about Obama? Bush did some things that I did not agree with but he definitely was a President of and for the USA and not just 20% of the people.

bluemarlin on November 9, 2010 at 12:43 AM

Kini, Meat, and the rest of y’all:

I hate to hit and run, but hit and run I shall.

Thanks for another night of thought-provoking nonsense/

hillbillyjim on November 9, 2010 at 12:45 AM

Thanks for another night of thought-provoking nonsense/

hillbillyjim on November 9, 2010 at 12:45 AM

Anytime.

Goodnight.

MeatHeadinCA on November 9, 2010 at 12:47 AM

G’night Meat. Aloha, Kini.

hillbillyjim on November 9, 2010 at 12:49 AM

MeatHeadinCA on November 9, 2010 at 12:23 AM

Come on man, brilliance has too many syllables, why make a new soundbite alongside nuclar? :) /sarc

I got a FB with someone making fun of his pronunciation of inundate today and how she was still embarrased by W. I sent her back

“I would rather have him back saying words like that, than have the one we have now find out what number comes after Trillion :) I can afford bad vocabulary.”

She sent me a “Touche!”

Plus I had her friends totally on my side!

bluemarlin on November 9, 2010 at 12:51 AM

She sent me a “Touche!”

Plus I had her friends totally on my side!

bluemarlin on November 9, 2010 at 12:51 AM

Lucky.

Most of the rabid lefties I encounter are convinced that we MUST spend in order to cut the spending. I’ve given up on them. They’ll need some sort of divine intervention because reason fails them at this point.

It is fun, though, pointing out how Obama just screwed over the lefty base

DADT: check
Gitmo: check
Bailing out Corps: check
Continued War: Check
Too Big To Fail (above): check

About the only people Obama hasn’t completely screwed are a bunch of goat herders living on the Saudi Penisula.

MeatHeadinCA on November 9, 2010 at 1:01 AM

dmann on November 8, 2010 at 11:49 PM

I do not disagree with that.

Connie on November 9, 2010 at 1:01 AM

bluemarlin on November 9, 2010 at 12:51 AM

Sorry, my last response to you MIGHT have gone into moderation… unlike the Democratic Party.

MeatHeadinCA on November 9, 2010 at 1:03 AM

G’night Meat. Aloha, Kini.

hillbillyjim on November 9, 2010 at 12:49 AM

G’Nite and Aloha

Kini on November 9, 2010 at 1:03 AM

MeatHeadinCA on November 9, 2010 at 1:03 AM

Hate when that happens. It’s like Purgatory.

The American people don’t understand me, they talk about me like a dog. Take ME!
- The One

Kini on November 9, 2010 at 1:14 AM

“I’ve got a lot of friends.”

Whoo-hoo! You’ve got more over here! *waves*

cthulhu on November 9, 2010 at 1:23 AM

Mistakes were made, of course. How could there not be? But this good and decent man never deserved the abuse, ridicule, hatred and distrust he received from liberals and the Left. Thanks, President Bush. We love you.

Mae on November 9, 2010 at 1:28 AM

I miss GW for this but not for much else.

chemman on November 8, 2010 at 10:34 PM

I must admit that he had several good points but several bad points too! First and formost he should have prosecuted the Clintons. We would not have them running around quite so loudly at this point if he had. Second, he should have taken a much closer look at Freddie and Fannie! We might not have to put up with Barney Frank any more if he had! Third: One word…TARP! I could go on but I do admit that he did protect this country too!

Vntnrse on November 9, 2010 at 1:29 AM

When I was a kid I was really critical of my parents… then I grew up and realized just how lucky I was to have such great parents.

That is how it is with GWBush. I was tired of all the criticism… I started to buy into all negativity.

But now when I can see how hard the job is… poor little Obama complaining about his routine problems…

We are only beginning to realize what a great President we had in George W. Bush.

He was a man for his time. He guided this country in one of it’s most difficult periods of time.

In contrast Obama can’t do anything right.

It’s a hard job, Bush made look pretty do-able.

petunia on November 9, 2010 at 1:29 AM

Lol, where’ve you been?

OkieDoc on November 9, 2010 at 12:40 AM

Miss me yet? :)

I’ve been here every day recently, even posting lightly.

Shy Guy on November 9, 2010 at 1:57 AM