Quotes of the day

posted at 10:30 pm on November 8, 2010 by Allahpundit

“The Secret Service wanted to get me to Air Force One, and fast. As the motorcade charged down Florida Route 41, I called Condi from the secure phone in the limo. She told me there had been a third plane crash, this one into the Pentagon. I sat back in my seat and absorbed her words. My thoughts clarified: The first plane could have been an accident. The second was definitely an attack. The third was a declaration of war.

“My blood was boiling. We were going to find out who did this, and kick their ass…

“While my emotions might have been similar to those of most Americans, my duties were not. There would be time later to mourn. There would be an opportunity to seek justice. But first I had to manage the crisis. We had suffered the most devastating surprise attack since Pearl Harbor. An enemy had struck our capital for the first time since the War of 1812. In a single morning, the purpose of my presidency had grown clear: to protect our people and defend our freedom that had come under attack…”

***
“I am at peace. I was honored to serve the country. I gave it my all. I’m not desperate to try to shape a legacy, because I fully understand that there needs to be time for history to be able to analyze–for historians to be able to analyze the decisions I made. I’m a content guy. I’ve got a great marriage. I’ve got a lot of friends.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I thought for sure this would be a Quote of the Day:

Bloomberg: Newly Elected Pols Can’t Read

“If you look at the U.S., you look at who we’re electing to Congress, to the Senate — they can’t read,” The Wall Street Journal quoted Bloomberg as saying.

“I’ll bet you a bunch of these people don’t have passports. We’re about to start a trade war with China if we’re not careful here only because nobody knows where China is. Nobody knows what China is,” he reportedly said.

“The Birth of a Nation” is playing on Turner Classic Movies right now. I think it does a good job of representing Bloomberg’s view of Tea Partiers and newly elected Republicans – bare feet up on their desks in Congress, eating fried chicken and drinking whiskey. “Why these interlopers will no doubt chase after our liberal women, as well!” The liberal Klan will form within a few months, no doubt.

Django on November 9, 2010 at 2:32 AM

I preordered his book when it first became available, along with Vince Flynn’s upcoming “American Assassin”. I was notified this morning they both shipped from Amazon. Can’t wait!

Kevin71 on November 9, 2010 at 2:50 AM

Wow. True leadership such as this is sorely missed.

OmahaConservative on November 9, 2010 at 3:50 AM

Everyone keep in mind that CAIR is presently fighting legislation that passed in Oklahoma that prevents Sharia law from being considered by State Judges.

If they never had an intention of instituting it, why would they care about Oklahoma? A rhetorical question I know.

President Bush, the military is still motivated by your courage and preserving the freedom of the American People. What an honor to have served under you.

hawkdriver on November 9, 2010 at 5:20 AM

thanks for posting those clips, AP.

An honorable man of character, flawed—just like the rest of us.

George W. Bush, President. Patriot.

ted c on November 9, 2010 at 5:58 AM

Heavy is the head that wears the crown…

Viper1 on November 9, 2010 at 6:02 AM

He has a charming and lovely wife, as well.

OmahaConservative on November 9, 2010 at 6:02 AM

ted c on November 9, 2010 at 5:58 AM

couldn’t have said it better myself…

cmsinaz on November 9, 2010 at 6:08 AM

morning joe is acting like chris matthews once again…they were bashing him about why he went into Iraq….i guess there is a main MSDNC playbook that every show must abide by

cmsinaz on November 9, 2010 at 6:18 AM

cmsinaz on November 9, 2010 at 6:18 AM

{{{shudders}}}
Just cannot allow myself to turn on that channel…
Bad enough watching the clips posted here.

OmahaConservative on November 9, 2010 at 6:23 AM

OmahaConservative on November 9, 2010 at 6:23 AM

yeah, i have it on as background noise as I get ready for work to see what the other side is complaining/bashing about for the day….

cmsinaz on November 9, 2010 at 6:28 AM

I know that a lot of people think Bush was too soft or too willing to spend money. But it should be remembered that times were different when Bush was in there.

Last night I watched him on NBC and he was talking about the meltdown. I remember he okayed a loan to GM for 17.4 billion in December I think it was. Now some people can say that he should have said no to all of that. But the thing is that the Democrats had the Congress, there was a new President elect and Bush had to deal with them as well as a crisis. If he had said no, Pelosi would have passed a bill of her own and overridden his veto.Simple as that. No way, they were going to let GM collapse right before Christmas.

Now people today can say they should have, but most people at them time saw things differently. And while I think the whole idea of taking GM over and firing its CEO was excessive, I also think that a lot people today forget what kind of impact it would have had on the economies of Michigan and Indiana and Ohio if that company had just gone belly up over night.

The truth is sometimes there are no good alternatives. And I think Bush was in that position a lot of times. Terror attacks, natural disasters, and a global economic meltdown all had to be dealt with.

Did I always agree with him? No…but I do think he tried to do his job.

Terrye on November 9, 2010 at 6:30 AM

Dana Perino is hosting Fox and Friends with Steve and Brian this morning. Every time I see the oily Gibbs at a presser, I find myself lamenting the absence of Dana.

OmahaConservative on November 9, 2010 at 6:39 AM

cmsinaz on November 9, 2010 at 6:28 AM

Thanks for doing the yeoman work, someone has to.

OmahaConservative on November 9, 2010 at 6:44 AM

OmahaConservative on November 9, 2010 at 6:44 AM

glad you are back OC

cmsinaz on November 9, 2010 at 6:45 AM

cmsinaz on November 9, 2010 at 6:45 AM

Thanks, it’s good to be back.
Anyone know about what time Ed usually puts up the first thread these days? I work 5-1:30 CDT and don’t have internet access for most of the day, but I am home sick right now.

OmahaConservative on November 9, 2010 at 6:55 AM

OmahaConservative on November 9, 2010 at 6:55 AM

just a little after 8am EST

cmsinaz on November 9, 2010 at 6:57 AM

cmsinaz on November 9, 2010 at 6:57 AM

‘k, thanks.

Another thing about GWB, I don’t ever recall that he needed to pack and haul a teleprompter abroad with him.

OmahaConservative on November 9, 2010 at 7:04 AM

Last night at my bakery a woman came in and wanted a cake with a huge red W on it. You see, she and her friends hate that George W. Bush and they were going to eat cake while they watched him on tv.

Being a good capitalist I smiled and pretended I thought she was clever. Then I suggested that she come back in a couple of weeks when the Rumsfeld book comes out and I would write “Rummy” on her cake.

She laughed and said that the one she really couldn’t wait for, they guy she hated the most was Cheney. To which I suggested, “We have a Star Wars/Darth Vader kit for that one.”

myrenovations on November 9, 2010 at 7:13 AM

A man secure in his own skin.

OmahaConservative on November 9, 2010 at 7:20 AM

OmahaConservative on November 9, 2010 at 7:04 AM

you would be correct…at least TOTUS gets to see a little fo the world

cmsinaz on November 9, 2010 at 7:20 AM

To which I suggested, “We have a Star Wars/Darth Vader kit for that one.”

myrenovations on November 9, 2010 at 7:13 AM

heh :)

the hatred that fills their hearts is pretty sad…

cmsinaz on November 9, 2010 at 7:21 AM

The Peoples Republic of San Francisco’s ban on Happy Meals officially begins today.

OmahaConservative on November 9, 2010 at 7:36 AM

‘to protect our people and defend our freedom which had come under attack’. Did a great job with that President Bush. Now we need the same protection from the enemy within. We need a leader to step up who recognizes this and is willing to make the difficult choices required.

Kissmygrits on November 9, 2010 at 7:49 AM

Bush only looks good in comparison to what we have now.
His colossal failures and alienation of the conservative base directly led to Obama’s victory and total Democratic control of both houses.
Let’s not forget some of his accomplishments:
The Dubai Ports fiasco
Not naming our enemy
the phony was on terror which he eventually abandoned
his weak and almost useless homeland security department.
his persecution of Ramos and Compean
his desire to release the illegal immigrant that raped and murdered 2 girls in Texas
his pursuit of Shamnesty
his 2 failed wars in Iraq and Afghanistan
his acceptance of the Geneva accords for terrorists
I could go on and on but the final word is goodbye and don’t come back and that goes for your relatives also.

FactsofLife on November 9, 2010 at 8:11 AM

Great QOTD, AP.

Missy on November 9, 2010 at 8:12 AM

Hey OC!!! I missed you!!!!

yoda on November 9, 2010 at 8:14 AM

W is signing books today at the neighborhood Borders. My husband drove past the line of people and he said it was around the parking lot, down the alley and two streets over. He said people were running across the street during rush hour to go get in the line.

txmomof6 on November 9, 2010 at 8:15 AM

Bush only looks good in comparison to what we have now.

We’re all well aware of his flaws.

I’d take him any day over the disaster in there now.

Good Lt on November 9, 2010 at 8:16 AM

Hey OC!!! I missed you!!!!

yoda on November 9, 2010 at 8:14 AM

Missed you too, darlin’
See this for explanation of my absence.

OmahaConservative on November 9, 2010 at 8:34 AM

OC – I figured that was the reason. Glad you are back….there’s lots of work to do before 2012.

yoda on November 9, 2010 at 8:41 AM

He can count me as one of them………

I will still follow him into Hell with a gasoline can under each arm. I recognize principled and dedicated Leadership and Courage where they are found. However, there is little leadership worthy of the Armed Forces trust today. I weep for the country once that final bond is broken.

Subsunk

Subsunk on November 9, 2010 at 8:42 AM

First and foremost, it is my wish that you

join HA.

OkieDoc on November 8, 2010 at 10:44 PM

Are you quite so sure that he has not already done so?

JohnGalt23 on November 9, 2010 at 8:45 AM

FactsofLife on November 9, 2010 at 8:11 AM

He (finally) gave us some good SCOTUS judges and temporary tax cuts and I thank him for that, but I believe that 9-11 so dominated his thoughts and actions that he surrendered domestic policy to the Dems and went along with them too much as a trade-off for his GWOT initiatives. He thought he was doing the right thing, but so does Obama. When freedom is on the line, it’s not the thought that counts.
I voted for him and his dad, but I have no desire to read his words or see him ever again.
BTW, I don’t agree that Iraq was a failure (they have a shot at democracy, if they can keep it) but I firmly believe Jug-ears will cause us to fail in Afghanistan.

Extrafishy on November 9, 2010 at 8:47 AM

….there’s lots of work to do before 2012.

yoda on November 9, 2010 at 8:41 AM

OmahaConservative on November 9, 2010 at 8:47 AM

GW is a good and decent man, he should have run as a centrist Democrat, if he and his father had (which is where on the scale, right to left, they both belong), we, I think, would have another Reagan for President right now and the Democrat party wouldn’t be more akin to Khrushchev’s USSR than to America’s founding fathers.

Speakup on November 9, 2010 at 8:48 AM

GWB is an American Patriot.

SurferDoc on November 9, 2010 at 10:10 AM

I could go on and on but …FactsofLife on November 9, 2010 at 8:11 AM

Why?

Thank you President Bush from the bottom of my heart for everything you did for America.

Texas Gal on November 9, 2010 at 10:46 AM

Odumba could not carry W’s shoes across the room. He is a great guy; lots of decisions should have been different but after all, we were waiting for the One, weren’t we?

AReadyRepub on November 10, 2010 at 1:22 AM