NFL Week 9 open thread

posted at 10:30 am on November 7, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Last week the Steelers stumbled against the Saints, who not only kept the usually potent Steeler offense from getting in rhythm until the fourth quarter but also pushed the Steeler defense around a little, too.  Tomorrow, the Steelers play Cincinnati on the road, but the Steelers usually rise to the occasion on Monday Night Football.  The Bengals have been playing like the Bungles again this season, but they have usually been competitive in their five losses.  Ben Roethlisberger has to get the offense moving and the Steeler defensive backs have to pick up their game against Chad Ochocinco.  I’m picking the Steelers in a tough game, 28-17.

After getting back into the plus side in Week 7, I split last week 3-3 on my picks, bringing my season total to 27-22.  Let’s try to improve with these picks:

• Arizona at Minnesota – The mood hasn’t gotten any better here in the Twin Cities after the bizarre pas de duh with Randy Moss.  Now the Vikings don’t have a reliable deep threat and they won’t have a third-round pick next year, either.  Brilliant!   However, Arizona is only 1-3 on the road this year, while the Vikes should play better at home.  I’ll pick the Vikings to win while the front office decides just when to fire Brad Childress, 24-20.
  • Patriots at Browns – The Browns have had flashes of brilliance this season, but the Pats are going to be too much for them even at home.   31-14, Pats.
  • Buccaneers at Falcons – This may be the game of the week.  Tampa Bay is unbeaten on the road, while Atlanta is unbeaten at home.  Both are 5-2.  The betting is going to the Falcons, and I’m inclined to agree — but not by the wide spread given.  Call it 27-24, Falcons, possibly in overtime.
  • Bears at Bills – The Bills are the only team without a win this year, but they almost won both of their last two games, going into OT on the road in each.  The Bears are struggling badly now.  I’m going to go out on a limb and pick the Bills to win and get off the schneid, 22-19.
  • Chiefs at Raiders – What has gotten into the Raiders?  They’ve won three of their last four and their last two by a combined 92-17.  One of those was against a hapless Denver Broncos, but the other was against a surprisingly good Seattle team.  Now the surprisingly good Kansas City Chiefs come to Oakland to face them.  The Chiefs barely got past Buffalo last week in OT; I don’t think they’ll be ready for their rivals.  Oakland keeps the magic going, 33-24.
  • Jets at Lions — Per the Jazz Shaw Paranoia Rule, I have no opinion whatsoever about this game.  Well, I do, but the poor guy just finished up a tough campaign in NY-22, and I don’t want to give him any more heartburn…

Comments

Go Steelers!!!

CWforFreedom on November 7, 2010 at 10:33 AM

Go Steelers!

ladyingray on November 7, 2010 at 10:35 AM

Who are the Cowgirls losing to today? Anyone know?

ladyingray on November 7, 2010 at 10:35 AM

GO COWBOYS! LOL!

txag92 on November 7, 2010 at 10:36 AM

Who are the Cowgirls losing to today? Anyone know?

The Packers tonight.

lowandslow on November 7, 2010 at 10:38 AM

My son won’t even let us watch the Redskins anymore. Although they lost quite handily last week without our jinxing help.

Cindy Munford on November 7, 2010 at 10:49 AM

*snicker*

A policeman guarding Mr Obama’s Mumbai hotel set off a major security alert after accidentally shooting himself in the leg last night.

The gunshot sparked chaos as Secret Service agents rushed to protect the U.S. president.

An alert was sounded as Mr Obama, his wife and daughters were preparing for a private dinner inside the hotel.
The injured officer, Suhas Chowdhury, 49 – a 20-year veteran of the Mumbai police – had been guarding the perimeter of the hotel when his gun went off at the end of his shift.

Speaking from his hospital bed, he said: ‘I was changing my uniform when my revolver got stuck in my trousers and misfired a round.

‘The bullet brushed my left thigh, luckily it didn’t cause any major injury.’ An investigation has been launched.

davidk on November 7, 2010 at 10:49 AM

I wish all teams except the Browns would stop wearing throwback uniforms. Gag.

OhioCoastie on November 7, 2010 at 10:53 AM

I wish all teams except the Browns would stop wearing throwback uniforms. Gag.

OhioCoastie on November 7, 2010 at 10:53 AM

Me too. Those things are ugly.

ladyingray on November 7, 2010 at 10:57 AM

Go Pack! The Cowboys without Tony Romo is like going to the Sands and seeing Frank Sinatra Jr.

Mr. D on November 7, 2010 at 10:57 AM

Browns don’t even deserve to wear NFL unis. So please.

CWforFreedom on November 7, 2010 at 10:58 AM

I wish all teams except the Browns would stop wearing throwback uniforms

No way, I prefer the Patriots throwbacks over the new uniforms. Always have. I wish they would switch back for good.

I think we are fast approaching the day when NFL teams will start using 16 different uniforms, though. Anything to help the merchandising.

reaganaut on November 7, 2010 at 10:59 AM

Bless you for taking pity on a tired, beaten old man.

/geritol

Jazz Shaw on November 7, 2010 at 11:01 AM

I think you are wrong about the Chiefs. Their defense is (ususally) better than Seattle or Denver this year. Oakland is ranked #26 against the run while the Chiefs are one of the top run defense. Look for KC to stuff McFadden while Jones and Charles show Oakland why KC is the #1 rushing offense in the nation.

24-17 Chiefs.

Wolftech on November 7, 2010 at 11:04 AM

Bless you for taking pity on a tired, beaten old man.

/geritol

Jazz Shaw on November 7, 2010 at 11:01 AM

I’m sure last week’s non-game didn’t put a “git up and go” in your “got up and went” on Tuesday. No worries…our guys will send a message to Detroit’s home today.

Go Green!

JetBoy on November 7, 2010 at 11:10 AM

No surprise if Childress doesn’t make it to the end of the season.
If the Bills get their first win against Da Bears, somebody on the Bears staff should get fired.

Extrafishy on November 7, 2010 at 11:10 AM

Go Jints!

Fuquay Steve on November 7, 2010 at 11:17 AM

First, I agree with those who are anti-throwback uniforms–they are butt-ugly. Fortunately, my Texans wear what will become throwbacks after I’m gone.

reaganaut on November 7, 2010 at 10:59 AM

The Texans are almost there; all white, all blue, white top blue bottom and vice versa, all red and red and white combos…enough! Dump the “battle red”!

After last Monday’s disaster, I’ve lost some confidence in the Texans this week at home against San Diego. I hope we pull it out, but I think Norv Turner will out-coach Gary Kubiak.

cartooner on November 7, 2010 at 11:18 AM

I have to agree with Ed on bears-bills. I hate to say it being a bears fan and all, but Bills are due and the bears O line sux. If the Bears do win, it’ll be special teams and defense scoring…not the offense.

jbh45 on November 7, 2010 at 11:20 AM

reaganaut on November 7, 2010 at 10:59 AM

Hmmm, Pat or the flying elvis? Ask anyone in N.E. and you’ll always get an enthusiastic “Pat!”
We don’t consider it a throwback, but a welcome return of the Patriots’ “real uni.”

Go Pats!
(heh, and and thanks for that extra 3rd round pick, Randy!)

racecar05 on November 7, 2010 at 11:25 AM

Ed said, “I’ll pick the Vikings to win while the front office decides just when to fire Brad Childress, 24-20.”

First of all, the Vikings will be lucky if they win this game. Brad Childress is NOT the problem. Randy Moss is the same kind of cancer that Terrel Owens breeds in every team he’s infected. These “talented idiots” think the whole world of football MUST revolve around them. Lombardi would have stuck Moss on the bench, (no matter what the cost), and let him sit there the remainder of the season.

The NFL could do without these prema-donnas that will never grasp the concept of a team effort. The sports media just loves these stories, the same way the liberal media embraces morons like Alan Grayson, and the comedian Senator from Minnesota. Go figure.

Rovin on November 7, 2010 at 11:27 AM

24-17 Chiefs.

AMEN! I think it will be very, very ugly win but a win no less. GO CHIEFS!

journeyscarab on November 7, 2010 at 11:28 AM

jbh45 on November 7, 2010 at 11:20 AM

Can’t blame it on injuries. The Colts are winning with “the next guy up”. What do you believe needs to be fixed besides offensive line play and quarterback consistency? I know that looks like a “well, duh” question, but I think it goes deeper than talent. I really think it’s a leadership issue.

Extrafishy on November 7, 2010 at 11:31 AM

What’s a football?

It's Vintage, Duh on November 7, 2010 at 11:41 AM

Go Colts!

cs89 on November 7, 2010 at 11:43 AM

27-24 Raiders

darwin-t on November 7, 2010 at 11:49 AM

Who Dat! Brees and the Saint’s got back on track by beating the Steelers, (sorry Ed). They will keep it rolling and be 6-3 going into the bye week where they should get Bush and Pierre Thomas back healthy for the playoff run.

saltydogg14 on November 7, 2010 at 11:54 AM

Gotta give the Saints credit for toughing that game out, considering all of their injuries.

Speaking of which, they’re still the walking wounded-RBs Bush and Thomas are out again today, and they will also be missing 2 DBs, a LB, a TE, and an OT. Thankfully they have a BYE next weekend!

Del Dolemonte on November 7, 2010 at 11:57 AM

Didn’t realize it was that bad. I remember when the Pats came out with a silver jersey, but it just looked white on TV. Seemed sort of pointless, until I saw people with their new silver Pats replica jersey(not the cheap ones, either).

I don’t know why they try so hard, just keep it simple. The best uniforms in all of football are Notre Dame and Penn State. Nice and simple, without any frills.

reaganaut on November 7, 2010 at 12:18 PM

Steelers suck. Liberal Douche owners who have it out for a certain skin color.

PrezHussein on November 7, 2010 at 12:40 PM

Go Steelers!

Throwbacks suck, particularly the Steelers uni and the Broncos uni.

Watching the slowed down tape on Jay Cutler shows that the problems with the Bears are not just on the O line. Cutler sucks this season.

myrenovations on November 7, 2010 at 12:47 PM

At least my Bronc’s can’t loss today.

Fynxbell on November 7, 2010 at 1:11 PM

Ed,

Still no love yet for the Chargers? Well, Let me “Jenn” up some Minnesoooota QB controversy. Brett needs to go to the land Farve, Farve away.

dthorny on November 7, 2010 at 1:19 PM

Browns don’t even deserve to wear NFL unis. So please.

CWforFreedom on November 7, 2010 at 10:58 AM

Really? They went into New Orleans and defeated the Super Bowl champs. And right now they’re shutting out the 7-1 New Englanders 10-0.

Del Dolemonte on November 7, 2010 at 1:46 PM

Del Dolemonte on November 7, 2010 at 1:46 P

Really. Look at their record since they came back into the league. One quarter and one game mean that much to ya?

How many Super Bowl Wins do they have.

Quit arguing like Crr.

CWforFreedom on November 7, 2010 at 1:50 PM

Del you still have me laughing. Feeling liberal today are ya? Next you will tell me the jobs report proves Obama is successful. Sheesh.

CWforFreedom on November 7, 2010 at 1:52 PM

Cleveland scores again. 17-7.

Only way the Pats are gonna pull this one out is by cheating!

Del Dolemonte on November 7, 2010 at 2:13 PM

Mr. D on November 7, 2010 at 10:57 AM

Big difference! Frank Sr. could sing.

silvernana on November 7, 2010 at 2:18 PM

CWforFreedom on November 7, 2010 at 1:52 PM

Obowma was successful……………….in his mind.
18.6% underemployment is the true unemployment number.

dthorny on November 7, 2010 at 2:20 PM

I’m a fair weather Cowboy’s fan. The Magic 8 Ball says: try again next week fellas. I’m weeping in my Roger Staubach / Troy Aikman Wheaties.

Yellowdog12 on November 7, 2010 at 2:54 PM

ladyingray on November 7, 2010 at 10:35 AM

The real question is what lucky girl Ben Rottencheeseburger will rape tonight.

austinnelly on November 7, 2010 at 2:58 PM

End of first half-Patriots have the ball at the Brownies 2 yard line…and Cleveland forces the fumble.

Halfway thru the 3rd, Brownies come right down the field and score again. 24-7 Cleveland.

Del Dolemonte on November 7, 2010 at 3:01 PM

Third quarter Bears 14-13. Bills have the worst rushing defense in football…Bears leading rusher? QB Cutler.

Jaibones on November 7, 2010 at 3:11 PM

And after another useless possession by New England, the Brownies march down the field again, this time being held to a FG. 27-7 Cleveland.

Hey, at least the Saints are kicking the getalife out of Carolina, 20-3!

Del Dolemonte on November 7, 2010 at 3:25 PM

Wow, the Browns are going to beat NE?

rbj on November 7, 2010 at 3:45 PM

Wow, the Browns are going to beat NE?

Browns look like they just won the Super Bowl.

Glad I’m not a Denver fan.

reaganaut on November 7, 2010 at 3:48 PM

Patriots go for it on 4th down from the Brownie’s 20-Cleveland caught cheating, Pats get the ball on the 1 and score a TD!

Of course, then the Brownies get the ball and march right back down the field and TD themselves. 34-14 Brownies with just over 2 minutes left.

Sad to report the Saints’ Jeremy Shockey injured his ribs on his 500th career reception. He was later seen leaving the ‘Dome in street clothes in an ambulance.

Del Dolemonte on November 7, 2010 at 3:49 PM

Brownies intercept a NE pass. They may get even more points.

Del Dolemonte on November 7, 2010 at 3:50 PM

WOW! The Browns beat NE? Detroit was beating the Jets but give the Jets the chance to win?

And no one is talking about Miami losing to the Ravens on the road?

I am amazed! And the Jets win!!!

Good for you Jetboy.

JohnnyD on November 7, 2010 at 4:28 PM

OH and Lets go Cincy!

JohnnyD on November 7, 2010 at 4:30 PM

Who doesn’t deserve to wear a NFL uni? Nice win Browns!

Martha on November 7, 2010 at 4:38 PM

I am amazed! And the Jets win!!!

Good for you Jetboy.

JohnnyD on November 7, 2010 at 4:28 PM

I was thisclose to having an aneurysm.

Remind me to send the Browns a “Thank You” card too for today!

JetBoy on November 7, 2010 at 4:53 PM

I was thisclose to having an aneurysm.

Remind me to send the Browns a “Thank You” card too for today!

JetBoy on November 7, 2010 at 4:53 PM

I’m glad to see you’re breathing again. It was a pretty exciting ending, even for an impartial fan. Well, not too impartial because Rex Ryan was a Raven before he became a Jet.

JohnnyD on November 7, 2010 at 5:07 PM

Seattle should sneek out of the stadium during half time. They are getting creamed like butter.

JohnnyD on November 7, 2010 at 5:24 PM

How many Super Bowl Wins do they have.

CWforFreedom on November 7, 2010 at 1:50 PM

Does winning one after moving to Baltimore count?

/sarc off

JohnnyD on November 7, 2010 at 5:44 PM

Just to give nascar hotair fans equal time, Jeff Gordon got in a scuffle with jeff Burton on the track today after Burton wrecked him and both of their cars are done for the day. Funniest thing ever, seeing prissy Jeff Gordon starting a fight on the track :)

karenhasfreedom on November 7, 2010 at 6:38 PM

How many Super Bowl Wins do they have.

CWforFreedom on November 7, 2010 at 1:50 PM

Does winning one after moving to Baltimore count?

/sarc off

JohnnyD on November 7, 2010 at 5:44 PM

Judging a team by how many Super Bowls they have won is silly, since 14 NFL teams have never won one. And that includes the Vikings and Bills, who went to The Dance 4 times each but never won.

The Saints didn’t win a SB until 10 months ago. But a lot of NFL fans forget that between 1986 and 1996 they were one of the winningest teams in the NFL.

Del Dolemonte on November 7, 2010 at 6:41 PM

karenhasfreedom on November 7, 2010 at 6:38 PM

I only watch Nascar for the wrecks. Now I got to watch for fights too?

Nothing like a fight on a race track to break the monotony of left hand turns….

JohnnyD on November 7, 2010 at 7:01 PM

For the record, the worst and most bias officiating by the NFL refs ever during the KC-Oakland game. It was worse than the WWE the amount of crap the refs let slide on Oakland when it mattered. On and the free time out for the unnecessary booth review, and the following play none is given when the receiver clearly did not have control of the ball. And then in overtime, the Raiders was mugging Hali but no holding call (which lead to the catch that put them in range). Sorry Mr. NFL ref, if the hands are on the outside of the defenders shoulders it is holding.

Wolftech on November 7, 2010 at 8:08 PM

Randy Moss at Titans. Really? He whines like a baby & trashes his team if things don’t go his way. Haven’t we been punished enough by Al Gore??

TN Mom on November 7, 2010 at 8:23 PM

Haven’t we been punished enough by Al Gore??

TN Mom on November 7, 2010 at 8:23 PM

Happy Florida Recount 10th Anniversary!

Del Dolemonte on November 7, 2010 at 8:33 PM

Del Dolemonte on November 7, 2010 at 8:33 PM

Seems like just yesterday…

TN Mom on November 7, 2010 at 8:39 PM

Wolftech on November 7, 2010 at 8:08 PM

Actually as a Raider fan I saw just as much crap go the other way. I will admit that it was one of the poorest officiated games I have seen in a long time. The bad calls went both ways and in the end big plays made the difference.

darwin-t on November 7, 2010 at 8:40 PM

Who are the Cowgirls losing to today? Anyone know?

ladyingray on November 7, 2010 at 10:35 AM

Linkeydoodle.

hillbillyjim on November 7, 2010 at 9:17 PM

Wow. A good football day!

P. Manning AND Tom Brady get a an opportunity to suck it up.

Both guys are talented QBs, but I’m sick of all the hype from the “talent” in the various broadcast booths and slobbering sports writers.

hillbillyjim on November 7, 2010 at 9:21 PM

Wow. A good football day!

P. Manning AND Tom Brady get a an opportunity to suck it up.

hillbillyjim on November 7, 2010 at 9:21 PM

Let’s not forget that the Brownies coach (Mangini?) does not heart Bill Belichik. His game plan against the Pats, like his game plan when he took the Brownies to New Orleans and beat them, was simply brilliant.

On the Pats side, their kicker (Gastowski) had to leave the game, and Mr. Excitement Wes Welker ably filled in with a FG and a PAT.

Also wanna send a “Bless You Boys!” to the Saints. They won again-without their two best running backs, as well as a bunch of other people-on the road. They now get a goodbye week to heal for the stretch run.

Del Dolemonte on November 7, 2010 at 9:33 PM

Del Dolemonte on November 7, 2010 at 9:33 PM

Yeah, New Orleans is in position to hit their stride, and the Panthers defense hasn’t been, and never will be, the same since they let Julius Peppers slip away when his contract was up.

Can’t forget the 3 OT game between the Chiefs and Raiders. I hope this is the beginnning of a renewal of their old rivalry from back in the days of Len Dawson, Hank Stram, John Madden, and Daryle Lamonica, not to mention that old war-horse George Blanda. Heck of a game today ‘twixt the two!

hillbillyjim on November 7, 2010 at 9:54 PM

Just wanted to vent over Whisenhunt’s chickensh*t play calling when the Cardinals had the lead and only needed to kill time. Instead of playing to win, he decided to play not to lose. The result is they lost. That is almost always the outcome when you play the way he had his team play at that point.
Yes the Cardinals secondary was ultra porous after that point and the offensive line practically non-existent, but the Vikings probably wouldn’t have had time for 2 scores had the Cardinals tried to sustain the aforementioned drive.
AAAAARRRG!

Hard Right on November 7, 2010 at 10:37 PM

BTW, I’m talking about the series when the Cards were up by two touchdowns, in decent field position, and they attempted TWO run plays up the middle (which had failed 98% of the time previously), then tried to pass (which was obvious they would do so) in a 3rd and long situation.

Hard Right on November 7, 2010 at 10:42 PM

Another interception. Packers 45; Cowpokes; 7

hillbillyjim on November 7, 2010 at 11:02 PM

Clay Matthews with a pick 6 and a Lambeau Leap – yessssssss. My kind of game. LOL

P.S. Ed, I saw your anti-Packer tweet earlier. Take it back, right now. : P ; )

capitalist piglet on November 7, 2010 at 11:10 PM