Video: Rubio gives GOP address, calls 2010 the Republican “second chance”

posted at 9:34 am on November 6, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

If you want to see why Democrats feared Marco Rubio so much that they tried to stick a knife in the back of their own candidate to stop him, this video demonstrates just how powerful a figure he will become with a national platform on which to speak. The GOP may not have had a speaker like Rubio since Ronald Reagan, excelling at both the message and the mechanics of oratory — and even Reagan didn’t have this kind of compelling backstory. Rubio reminded listeners of his origins from a people exiled from their birthplace because of their desire for freedom, and the dream of a better life that is a “sacred duty” for this generation to deliver to the next, not to mortgage from the next generation for our own exploitation (via Freedom’s Lighthouse, transcript via Andrew Malcolm):

I know about the unique exceptionalism of our country. Not because I read about it in a book, I’ve seen it through my own eyes. You see, I was raised in a community of exiles, by people who lost their country, people who once had dreams like we do today but had to come to a foreign shore to find them.

For some their dreams were answered here in America, but many others found a new dream. To leave their children with the kinds of opportunities they themselves never had. And that is what we must do as a nation. To fulfill our sacred obligation to leave the next generation of Americans a better America than the one we inherited. And that is what this election was about.

Rubio assured people that the GOP understands its position with the voters, which is a party still on probation from its failures of 2001-6, and that this is a second chance to earn back their trust:

For many of us coming to Washington for the first time and others returning to serve, it’s a long way from home. A long way from the people whose eyes we looked into at town halls, at diners or roundtables, and promised that this time it would be different. That if you elected Republicans to office again, we would not squander the chance you gave us, and we must not.

Because nothing less than the identity of our country and what kind of future we will leave our children is at stake. That is our commitment and from you we ask this. Hold us accountable to the ideas and principles we campaigned on.

This is our second chance to get this right.  To make the right decisions and the tough calls and to leave our children what they deserve – the freest and most exceptional society in all of human history.

Rubio is off to a good start already in his new role as Senator Rubio.

Update: Changed the headline – replaced “it” with “2010″ for clarity.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Goldenavatar on November 6, 2010 at 12:01 PM

The difference will be teleprompters and the ability to form a coherent sentence when asked impromptu questions. I believe Mr. Rubio has mastered these talents. Obama? Not so much.

Cindy Munford on November 6, 2010 at 12:24 PM

Future President – bank on it.

Vashta.Nerada on November 6, 2010 at 12:34 PM

Why didn’t Rubio use “umm”, “ahhh”, ya know” or “letmebeclear”?

Reject the notion that republicans get “a second chance”, how many chances do democrats get?

Medicare, medicaid, social security, war on poverty, New Deal, social programs, welfare, the 1980′s amnesty, green economy, environmental agencies, EPA, dept of Education, NEA, gov’t kickbacks for buying green, cash for clunkers, stimulus package, bank bailouts, community reinvestment act, GM bondholders screwed for pennies on the dollar, healthcare no one wanted, Jimmy Carter and Obowma…..

The list is endless.

dthorny on November 6, 2010 at 12:40 PM

Why is it whenever the GOP gets a guy elected in a tough race he automatically moves to the front of the “For President” list. It gets really boring; First it was Brown, then Christie, now Rubio;GOP darling of the moment.

Are we going to fall for the first good looking or personable guy who can put a sentence together and elect him President? Sounds like how the Democrats operate. That isn’t working out real well for us.

While he seems like a likable guy, so far the only thing I’ve heard from Rubio is the same story about his Cuban parents and how he had to work his way to the top. Lots of people have that story – should we elect them all President? – How about we hold our powder and let him accomplish something for the people before we shower him with praise. Results speak to me, not tender biographies.

Done That on November 6, 2010 at 12:40 PM

Let’s just see how this guy handles himself in the Senate for at least a term before we start shouting Rubio for President. The guy sounds good but doesn’t really have that much in the way of leadership accomplishment to back him up yet. His career in the FL legislature was lackluster at best. If he can hold his own and not cave to the establishment or special interests in DC, then he has a real shot at being a true leader. He was co-opted early on in his senate run by the Bush machine and went out of his way to distance himself from the Tea Party when his lead almost doubled over Crist. I think he’s too young and too inexperienced to stand on his own right now and it scares me that he might become our Manchurian Candidate. Let him prove himself before you put him on a pedestal.

Redneck Woman on November 6, 2010 at 12:52 PM

Done That on November 6, 2010 at 12:40 PM

Don’t take it too seriously, it’s just a sign of support for a newcomer. If they screw up the tide will turn just as quickly.

Cindy Munford on November 6, 2010 at 12:52 PM

Let him prove himself before you put him on a pedestal.

Redneck Woman on November 6, 2010 at 12:52 PM

The Dems did that starting in 2004, and look what we have now.

I believe he can do great things, and even get elected president in time. However, we need to see what he can do besides have a great backstory and give a (really) good speech.

Nobody (save one) can truly be determined a savior until after he saves. Didn’t we already know what the Democrats forgot? Why would we let ourselves be lured by the same siren-song?

JeffWeimer on November 6, 2010 at 1:00 PM

Done That on November 6, 2010 at 12:40 PM

Oh I agree that people jumped on the bandwagon when it comes Scott Brown and Chris Christie. I really don’t want to see Scott Brown on the presidential ticket at all!

However Rubio is very VERY much like Reagan, same ideals, same charisma, same ability to recognize how great the US of A really is.

While I wouldn’t jump on the Rubio for President in 2012 band wagon…I like candidates with experience (NOT campaign experience) 2014 does sound pretty good to me!

Cookies Mom on November 6, 2010 at 1:08 PM

Big Thanks go out to Marco Rubio for having the guts, principles and mettle to get in to the senatorial contest to take the Oompa Loompa down.

I’m a huge Rubio supporter, have heard him speak in person a couple times, have shaken his hand and looked him in the eye. I think he can do great things to advance conservatism, but let’s let him marinate in the Senate for at least a term first to see how it goes before calling him our new Messiah.

ornery_independent on November 6, 2010 at 1:10 PM

…2014 does sound pretty good to me!

Cookies Mom on November 6, 2010 at 1:08 PM

Um, for what? Summer Olynpics?

ornery_independent on November 6, 2010 at 1:11 PM

You know, I’m glad Rubio won, so don’t take this the wrong way. But his presentation sounds a lot like Obama to me. I noticed this when I heard his acceptance speech this last week. Of course every politician is going to bust out inane platitudes. What I mean is his inflections and timbre remind me of Obama.

Goldenavatar on November 6, 2010 at 12:01 PM

What in the hell are you smoking today?

silvernana on November 6, 2010 at 1:33 PM

Why isn’t La Raza teaching immigrants this? This is how to be sucessful in this country! Not protesting and demanding and skirting the laws!

Catholic and other religous hispanics are such natural Republicans, yet the left has suceeded in telling lies so they think we are the enemy.

petunia on November 6, 2010 at 1:34 PM

This senator elect is on the path (being groomed) to become our 2012/2016 president, he knows it and we know it…that’s a GOOD thing for our nation. The liberals, progressives, socialists, Marxist, MSM will melt like the wicked witch in the Wizard of OZ…anyway, that was my dream last night…do dreams sometime come true?

hoi polloi on November 6, 2010 at 1:35 PM

Is Rubio even old enough to run in 2012? No he is the future to be sure, or I hope he is, but here and very soon we need a candidate in 2012. And that will put Rubio off until 2020 probably, but what a bench!

petunia on November 6, 2010 at 1:36 PM

Rubio’s father was born in Cuba, wasn’t he? That puts him in a similar situation as Obama, who had a foreign-born father. Birthers were ridiculed when they discussed the constitutional requirements for President. Will liberals give Rubio the same pass when he decides to run for President? To anyone who thinks ‘yes’, I have a bridge in Brooklyn that I’ll let go at a discount.

joejm65 on November 6, 2010 at 11:16 AM

There is no doubt that Rubio was born in the USA because his mother did not go back to Cuba when she was pregnant. Obama’s mother went to Kenya towards the end of her pregnancy, his father’s homeland. So Rubio’s parent’s citizenship doesn’t matter as long as he was born in the US. Rubio would also show his long form birth certificate.

Rubio was raised in the USA for all his childhood and no one ever renounced his US citizenship. Obama’s Indonesian adopted father and his mother took him to live in Indonesia for several years and renounced his US citizenship. Obama’s college records are sealed so we don’t know if he applied for college as a foreign citizen, which would mean he himself renounced his citizenship as an adult. He holds both passports currently and traveled to Pakistan a few years ago with his Indonesian one. We only know that he registered using his legal adopted name of Soetoro.

It is all a bit murky, while Rubio’s history is crystal clear.

I’m not saying Obama isn’t a natural born citizen. (That disqualification would be too good to be true.) He probably is, but no one can say this for sure, no matter how loudly they proclaim it. While records are sealed, no one can say 100%. Just saying it’s not as clear as it could be and should be.

So you can’t compare Rubio’s situation to Obama’s.

Elisa on November 6, 2010 at 1:43 PM

Within two years, voters will only care about one skill: dismantling government organizations. By that standard, it looks like Chris Christie will be the only qualified candidate for President. But Rubio would make a great VP.

logis on November 6, 2010 at 11:09 AM
People really need to rein in their Christie fawning. He hasn’t actually accomplished much other than p*ss off a lot of the public sector employees. Let’s give him time to see what he actually gets done. He may be conservative by NJ standards but that’s not saying much. NJ is in a deep hole financially and his version of fiscal restraint works here but he will be a tough sell to Conservatives.

katiejane on November 6, 2010 at 11:36 AM

I’m from NJ and I couldn’t agree with you more. Moderate Christie has been a pleasant surprize, but he is far from a true conservative. He will be a disappointment to many here.

Elisa on November 6, 2010 at 1:46 PM

Elisa on November 6, 2010 at 12:14 PM

(bottom of page 1)

I still like my fantasy ticket of Jindal/Rubio for the first 8 years, followed by a President Rubio for another 8.
lol

Elisa on November 6, 2010 at 1:48 PM

Cindy Munford on November 6, 2010 at 12:52 PM

This is so much better introduction than Jindal’s..Remember that?..:)

Dire Straits on November 6, 2010 at 1:50 PM

RUBIO ROCKS!!!

Wow!!! As a someone who grew up during the Reagan years, I can safely say that NO conservative leader since Ronald Reagn, and I mean no one, has been able to state words so meaningfully and powerfully as Marco Rubio has done here. Having seen that speech and the conviction of his words, I now join the chorus of many here that we are looking at a future President of the United States. (I hope Herman Cain emerges for 2012, then Senator Rubio for 2016.)

With his strong belief in American exceptionalism, Marco Rubio stands in as sharp contrast to Obozo as one can get. Marco Rubio has a vision for this Nation. He has put stakes in the ground and invites the people to hold him and the other GOP leaders accountable. Simply put, Marco Rubio “gets it.” Thank GOD someone like this will be in our Senate. May his vision and leadership inspire others there. He is already inspiring us everyday Americans.

Senator Rubio is the person who should reprise President Reagan’s “Morning in America” commercial. He is a fitting heir. Given what is sure to be strong and highly visible leadership by Senator Rubio, there is indeed the sense a new, bright day is dawning for all of us.

OneVision on November 6, 2010 at 1:53 PM

Whoops. I meant to say “Herman Cain emerges for 2010, then Senator Rubio for 2020.”

Obviously I’d want Mr. Cain to serve 2 terms!! :)

OneVision on November 6, 2010 at 1:56 PM

Ugh. Wrong again. I give up!

One final time: Hermain Cain for 2012!
Marco Rubio for 2020!

TTFN.

OneVision on November 6, 2010 at 1:57 PM

Okay Senator Rubio. Now you and your fellow Republicans best bring your A game or voters WILL take you up on that offer of holding you all accountable.

So far I’m not impressed seeing as how the man likely to chair the House Armed Services committee (Buck McKeon R-CA) wants to increase military spending instead of making needed cuts. This isn’t the time to increase spending in any area of government. Especially to add pork jobs to your states. Besides which, haven’t we heard over and over again that government doesn’t create jobs? So apply it your your side as well.

/independent conservative aka true fiscal conservative

Benaiah on November 6, 2010 at 2:08 PM

Can’t wait to see Rubio dismantle Schumer.

SouthernGent on November 6, 2010 at 2:22 PM

Big fan of Rubio. I’m born and raised in Florida and have followed his campaign very closely since day 1. Looking forward to having a real conservative with integrity and back bone shaking things up in DC.

Minorcan Maven on November 6, 2010 at 2:44 PM

I’m not too proud to admit I’m developing an enormous man-crush on this guy.

Caiwyn on November 6, 2010 at 3:02 PM

Add Lt. Col. Allen West into the mix.

dthorny on November 6, 2010 at 3:08 PM

Cindy Munford on November 6, 2010 at 11:40 AM

Thanks.

rrpjr on November 6, 2010 at 3:24 PM

Goldenavatar – You know, I’m glad Rubio won, so don’t take this the wrong way. But his presentation sounds a lot like Obama to me.”

Apparently you didn’t pick up on the fact that he thinks the United States is the greatest country in the world. When has the community organizer every tried to convey that thought?

bflat879 on November 6, 2010 at 3:29 PM

If the Republicans are ever going to do something credible about immigration, it would be great to have Rubio at the table.

RedRedRice on November 6, 2010 at 3:34 PM

I like what I see in Rubio except for one thing, lack of grey hair. Even though he has a good message, he is a pretty face. Been there, done that last time. If we are going to go ga-ga over a newly minted Senator, I kind of like the guy who beat Feingold as the anti-Obama: Non-Politician, successful businessman, won as a Republican in Wisconsin.

txmomof6 on November 6, 2010 at 3:41 PM

Okay, the GOP has repented. Can we have a moratorium on Republican bashing now? The election has been won, it’s time to move on, accomplish our goals, and demonstrate with pride and confidence that we have the solutions which work for America.

Buy Danish on November 6, 2010 at 3:44 PM

I don’t like Marco Rubio. He strikes me as too much the consummate politician; so slick and polished. He comes off as fake.

amkun on November 6, 2010 at 3:47 PM

…and the silver-tongued promptered president is off to play a Pharaoh in India, Indonesia and beyond.

A debate btw. the two, sans teleprompter for the one, will be the biggest show on Earth.

Schadenfreude on November 6, 2010 at 3:50 PM

amkun on November 6, 2010 at 3:47 PM

Jeez, some people just can’t be pleased.

Schadenfreude on November 6, 2010 at 3:50 PM

I think you mean Maharajah, not Pharaoh:) I was thinking we could call Barry the Obamarajah.

Buy Danish on November 6, 2010 at 3:58 PM

He’s the conservative answer to Barack Obama.

itsnotaboutme on November 6, 2010 at 9:37 AM

Substance and truth will be eternally indignant if we don’t quit to compare Marco Rubio to an empty suit with no emperor in it.

Nothing bad meant at you, itsnotaboutme; just a general comment.

Schadenfreude on November 6, 2010 at 4:03 PM

Jeez, some people just can’t be pleased.
Buy Danish on November 6, 2010 at 3:58 PM

He’s the Right’s Obama. He’s charismatic, has a nice backstory, saccharine sweet voice. I can’t even listen to him because of that voice.

I’ll wait and see what he does in the Senate. Hopefully he doesn’t run for President in 2012.

amkun on November 6, 2010 at 4:03 PM

BD, I can live with that :)

Schadenfreude on November 6, 2010 at 4:04 PM

Btw, BD, the “Pharaoh” reference comes from the 2nd paragraph, in this article.

Schadenfreude on November 6, 2010 at 4:05 PM

I was thinking we could call Barry the Obamarajah.

Buy Danish on November 6, 2010 at 3:58 PM

…the Obamarajah of Jaipur the poor.

Schadenfreude on November 6, 2010 at 4:10 PM

Nothing bad meant at you, itsnotaboutme; just a general comment.

Schadenfreude on November 6, 2010 at 4:03 PM

The truth is that at this point Rubio is as untested as Obama was in 08. I am as excited as everyone else at the possibilities, but I find it a little disturbing that our side seems to be reacting to Rubio the same way the left reacted to Obama. We rightly criticized obama for his thin resume, his lack of executive experience and no mayor leagues accomplishments. I believe Rubio is made of much more substance than Obama, but I want to see him a few years in action before I go all gaga. Reagan had a long path before he was the person we knew as the POTUS, I am not ready to equate Rubio with Reagan just yet.

neuquenguy on November 6, 2010 at 4:16 PM

“It means repealing and replacing the disastrous health care bill.”
Only… if the replacement is less than 20 pages and addresses the 5 or 10 things that need to be improved, and that’s all. Otherwise we still end up with un-needed government intrusion into health care. I’d rather them stay out of it altogether if they can just tweak the edges.

RalphyBoy on November 6, 2010 at 4:24 PM

amkun on November 6, 2010 at 4:03 PM

Well then, you’re going to have to be hitting the mute button a lot. Maybe for decades. Just saying…

Btw, BD, the “Pharaoh” reference comes from the 2nd paragraph, in this article.
Schadenfreude on November 6, 2010 at 4:05 PM

Ah, now I get it. That article was a wee bit unfair. Airforce 1 is Airforce 1, and wasn’t fancied up for the Obamarajah and the Michelleaharani.

…the Obamarajah of Jaipur the poor.
Schadenfreude on November 6, 2010 at 4:10 PM

That’s the spirit!

Buy Danish on November 6, 2010 at 4:43 PM

Marco Rubio………Jeb Bush without the wrinkles and political baggage.

PappyD61 on November 6, 2010 at 5:01 PM

Dire Straits on November 6, 2010 at 1:50 PM

I’ve never understood why that was a deal breaker for so many folks. Tough crowd. I am more interested in deeds than words.

Buy Danish on November 6, 2010 at 3:44 PM

Not just yet. They endorsed Charlies Crist before we had our primaries down here. Since it all turned out okay, I am willing to try and forgive but I am not there yet.

Cindy Munford on November 6, 2010 at 5:22 PM

Oops I screwed this up – Obamarajah and Michelleaharani Obamarani.

Cindy Munford on November 6, 2010 at 5:22 PM

That was a huge mistake. I trust they’ve learned their lesson. But we can’t keep up this self-flagellation and expect independents and young voters to be attracted to our party if we keep telling everyone how much we suck and (worse) are “just as bad as Democrats”.

Buy Danish on November 6, 2010 at 5:35 PM

Buy Danish on November 6, 2010 at 5:35 PM

For the most part I keep my criticism here but I must tell that I don’t consider myself a party person. When the party ignores or insults a choice of the people (even when I agree that the choice is poor) I have a problem with it. There are consequences to decisions. Electing a bad candidate can be fixed the next election. Telling the electorate that they are stupid and must obey their betters is a message that lives on in support both at the voting booth and the coffers. The Republicans have done just that on numerous campaigns this year. I don’t know if I am different from most, but from TARP my whole outlook has changed about government and their determination to make us a nanny state.

Cindy Munford on November 6, 2010 at 5:46 PM

I don’t see valid comparisons to Reagan. Rubio comes across as a nice guy, but I’m not overly impressed with his oration. At least not in this video.

He handles himself very well on the fly, which is definitely a good thing. But to think he could be one of the best Republican orators since Reagan is a tad bit absurd in my opinion.

ButterflyDragon on November 6, 2010 at 5:51 PM

…but from TARP my whole outlook has changed about government and their determination to make us a nanny state.

Cindy Munford on November 6, 2010 at 5:46 PM

I actually think TARP was necessary – just really, really badly handled with no proper parameters established, et cetera. I don’t have a problem so much giving loans that will be paid back in this kind of emergency. But the stimulus bill & the GM bailout which screwed senior creditors and healthcare (and fannie/freddie housing fiasco preceding all of this) are disastrous, and I’m very worried about the Feds actions with QE2. Interest rates are low enough – that’s not the problem.

Buy Danish on November 6, 2010 at 6:12 PM

Buy Danish on November 6, 2010 at 6:12 PM

As frightened as I was at the public debate around TARP, I think it was wrong. We had laws already in place but this allowed the government to pick the winners and losers. And the trend has continued. Everything is a crisis and everything needs a “comprehensive” fix. I don’t want to pretend I know a lot about financial issues, I just know wrong when I see it. Most of these “to big to fail” institutions would have survived restructuring and the implementation would have been more fair. Fannie/Freddie are still disasters and there is talk of selling them. To who? Is there anyone that crazy and wealthy? I think we were played.

Cindy Munford on November 6, 2010 at 6:27 PM

Forced meme is forced.

Rubio is hot, love his promise, and hope he does well as a Senator.

But forced meme is still forced. Exceptional conservatives were elected across this country, and I don’t find this video any more inspiring than the messages of, say, Linda McMahon who was on-point herself yet still lost.

I hope for great things from Rubio, but this love-train is so completely pre-mature.

lansing quaker on November 6, 2010 at 6:48 PM

amkun on November 6, 2010 at 3:47 PM

That’s because you have not met him He is the “real deal”
Politician? Yes!
Genuine? Yes!

If you go back and read all of his comments and view all of his speeches, you will see that he sticks to his principles and is NOT afraid of a good fight to protect them.

AnthonyK on November 6, 2010 at 6:56 PM

lansing quaker on November 6, 2010 at 6:48 PM

We are all teenage girls reading People magazine. We’ll be fine in the real world.

Cindy Munford on November 6, 2010 at 7:07 PM

speakin’ of florida dudes…didja hear what LTC West is planning on doing?

SNAP!

ted c on November 6, 2010 at 7:10 PM

ted c on November 6, 2010 at 7:10 PM

That should liven up some meetings.

Cindy Munford on November 6, 2010 at 7:18 PM

As a FL resident, and not usually a proud one, I found this speech spellbinding. He is our Obama, but his backstory is more compelling and more in sync with our national story. He is not an exotic, but the son of immigrants who had to escape Castro hell.

And I have a prediction for 2012. Jeb Bush vs. Bill Nelson, who is forever touting his fiscal bonafides, but who feasted on every piece of pork served up by Pelosi, Reid and Obama.

johnboy on November 6, 2010 at 7:19 PM

That should liven up some meetings.

Cindy Munford on November 6, 2010 at 7:18 PM

indeed :)

cmsinaz on November 6, 2010 at 7:24 PM

Sigh, couldn’t we have a Rubio clone in Colorado?

Common Sense on November 6, 2010 at 7:37 PM

Has it been reported (or does anyone know) if the GOP will remove the Constitutionally-dubious committee voting rights given to delegates in the 110th and 111th Congresses? I certainly hope they do.

KSgop on November 6, 2010 at 7:56 PM

logis on November 6, 2010 at 11:09 AM

I think it’s rational to envison Christie being drafted for 2012. During Christie’s 2 terms, Rubio can accomplish things in the US Senate, and forego running for a second term in advance of a Presidential run in 2010.

Red State State of Mind on November 6, 2010 at 8:09 PM

ButterflyDragon on November 6, 2010 at 5:51 PM

I’ve heard him speak maybe a 1/2 dozen times and I just have NOT been impressed. He has a nice resume, he seems like a decent chap, but we don’t want a CONSERVATIVE we want the ANTI-OBAMA. And before everyone jumps on the bandwagon I’ll just be the meany to say it……

……He’s not “qualified” to be President.

PappyD61 on November 6, 2010 at 9:17 PM

we don’t want a CONSERVATIVE CONSERVATIVE OBAMA…..we want the ANTI-OBAMA.

PappyD61 on November 6, 2010 at 9:18 PM

I’m not from Florida but I think my campaign contributions to Rubio and West are probably some of the best investments I’ve made in America in a long, long time.

JetBlast on November 6, 2010 at 9:53 PM

Done That on November 6, 2010 at 12:40 PM

I said future president, but I wasn’t talking about two years from now.

Vashta.Nerada on November 6, 2010 at 10:29 PM

So the Palinistas and Romneyites here are as threatened by Rubio as the Democrats, too? Bring it on! Having a promising up-and-comer like Rubio will inspire some to improve their own candidacies and highlight the weaknesses of others. It’s called the free market of ideas, peeps.

BTW, Rubio is the anti-Obama. He believes in American exceptionalism, individual responsibility, and self-determination. Time will tell, but I second Ed’s assessment of his Reaganesque potential.

Terrie on November 6, 2010 at 11:36 PM

“Say hello to my little friend!”

nukemhill on November 6, 2010 at 11:08 AM

..priceless!

The War Planner on November 7, 2010 at 12:13 AM

Let’s see how the D.C. establishment takes too him.

at a first glance (he was chosen by them) he’s #1 who they pick out of over 70 new GOP Congress members.

Looks like he’s got the backing of the Beltway guys.

PappyD61 on November 7, 2010 at 12:40 AM

“Marcophobia” by the Left will be the next obstacle to overcome.

I don’t think that will be a problem… Thanks- Nelsa

Nelsa on November 6, 2010 at 11:35 AM

He’s already slurpee’ng some of the heat away from Sarah….

Who is John Galt on November 7, 2010 at 1:10 AM

Cuban parents, like British parent – not qualified to be POTUS.

Be consistent, troops, it’s going to be a long haul. Stay on the high road.

Who is John Galt on November 7, 2010 at 1:18 AM

I’m pretty sure Barnum & Bailey is hiring clowns … Charlie Crist should give them a call.

carl todd hand on November 7, 2010 at 7:58 AM

Who is John Galt on November 7, 2010 at 1:18 AM

This is the kind of remark that drives me crazy. Mr. Rubio certainly doesn’t have the experience to be POTUS now and probably not for several elections down the road but basing ineligibility on his parents is silly.

Cindy Munford on November 7, 2010 at 8:57 AM

Cuban parents, like British parent – not qualified to be POTUS.

Be consistent, troops, it’s going to be a long haul. Stay on the high road.

Who is John Galt on November 7, 2010 at 1:18 AM

It is all a bit murky, while Rubio’s history is crystal clear.

So you can’t compare Rubio’s situation to Obama’s.

Elisa on November 6, 2010 at 1:43 PM

Elisa on November 7, 2010 at 9:02 AM

Future President – bank on it.

Vashta.Nerada on November 6, 2010 at 12:34 PM

Not so fast–first we have to make sure he didn’t set his political career in motion at the home of a remorseless bomb-setting radical…oh, wait.

RepubChica on November 7, 2010 at 9:55 AM

The man has fantastic potential and a great many years ahead of him (he’s only 39). I look forward to celebrating President-elect Rubio’s victory in 2028.

Harpazo on November 7, 2010 at 12:18 PM

The constant reminder of his “Cuban American background” kind of reminds me of John F’in Kerry constantly talking about Vietnam.

It happened so much that “John F “who served in Vietnam” Kerry became a new way to refer to Teresa’s hubby.

Hope Rubio doesn’t do the same with his C-A Parents.

PappyD61 on November 7, 2010 at 1:24 PM

Via Newsbuster. Just like the comments at NB you have to take into account that it is a lefty making the comparison. To you and I, Rubio blows Obama out of the water, but to a Leftist who still worships Obama at his feet, he thinks he is making the grandest compliment one can give.

Also noted. We have seen this so many times over the years that if a lefty dares say something reasonable and factual about a conservative, that in order to keep their leftist street cred in tack they also have to attack another conservative with equal condemnation as the compliment.

New Republic Writer Grudgingly Admits Marco Rubio a Great Speaker

By P.J. Gladnick | November 07, 2010 | 13:05

So just how good a speaker is the new senator-elect from Florida, Marco Rubio? Conservatives are rightly highly impressed with Rubio’s oratory, especially his election night victory speech. However, even liberals are giving high marks to Rubio’s speaking abilities. John McWhorter of The New Republic even commits liberal sacrilege by grudgingly admitting (after slamming the speeches of other conservatives) that Rubio is a better speaker than Obama. Of course, this also scares him as well:

Marco Rubio, in his victory speech, was the exception, and showed as he often has why he is the Tea Party’s real secret weapon. Starting out with gushy God talk and closing by stressing that he is a “son of exiles,” Rubio is – let’s face it – a better Obama in his way. His Christianity will always be clear to those who care, and his foreign forebears are ones who fled Communism. At first we were to suppose that Obama’s mongrelism made him “like America,” but the leftist Kenyan business is ripe for the Becks and D’Souzas among us to frame as alien, never mind that Indonesia is a Muslim country. Rubio’s foreignness is more cuddly, immune to Fox News-style demagoguery.

Plus Rubio is a natural talker. No stagy incantations of lines based on things other people said long ago; no giggling; no props; no wandering off topic. He can rub a noun and a verb together, with minimal attendance to notes. As a result, like Bill Clinton, he seems intelligent in a way that Paladino and O’Donnell do not, and approachably human and on the ground in a way that Paul, despite his active mind, cannot.

Yes, no props like no annoying teleprompters.

Lots more at link.

Brass on November 7, 2010 at 10:28 PM

This is so much better introduction than Jindal’s..Remember that?..:)

Dire Straits on November 6, 2010 at 1:50 PM

I love Rubio. Jindal’s delivery sounded like he was doing story time at the preschool. Very unfortunate. He is a brilliant man, but he has to develop a comfort level in front of the camera.

TXMomof3 on November 8, 2010 at 6:48 AM

Cuban parents, like British parent – not qualified to be POTUS.

Be consistent, troops, it’s going to be a long haul. Stay on the high road.

Who is John Galt on November 7, 2010 at 1:18 AM

Seriously! After all, George Washington had British parents, and we saw what a disaster HE was! /s

RegularJoe on November 8, 2010 at 10:16 AM