Ryan endorses Hensarling over Bachmann for leadership post

posted at 2:15 pm on November 5, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

It didn’t take long for Rep. Michele Bachmann’s decision to run for Conference Chair in the House Republican caucus to get a reaction from her colleagues.  Caucus veterans started lining up behind Bachmann’s opponent for the position, Jeb Hensarling of Texas.  Wisconsin’s Paul Ryan, who is well-regarded by the fiscal conservatives active in the Tea Party movement, endorsed Hensarling in a letter to current House Republicans:

House Republicans Thursday reacted strongly against Rep. Michele Bachmann’s decision to run for a top leadership post in the new majority, looking to nip in the bud any chance that she might attract support from the substantially large group of incoming freshman lawmakers.

The trick for Republicans is to keep Bachmann – the Minnesota Republican viewed by many in leadership as an unserious and unhelpful spokesman for the party – away from an elevated platform that many in the party feel would hinder or harm the GOP, without being viewed as not listening to the Tea Party movement, which supplied much of the energy that gave them a 61-seat pickup and control of the House. …

Top House Republicans from Eric Cantor to Paul Ryan are firmly behind Hensarling, arguing that he is a solid conservative who will provide the very “constitutional conservatism” that Bachmann says she represents.

But Hensarling is far less well known beyond Washington and his home district of the southeast Dallas suburbs, so there is potential for average grassroots conservatives who know of Bachmann but not Hensarling to interpret the party’s support for the latter as a slight of the Tea Party.

To that question, it may be one missing endorsement that could make the case for Hensarling:

Palin, in an e-mail to The Daly Caller, declined to endorse Bachmann, even though she has been an outspoken advocate on the congresswoman’s behalf and accused Politico of sexism Thursday for using a picture of Bachmann having makeup applied to her face.

“I’m taking a position on who gets to sit in the big boy highchair this morning for breakfast… Trig or Tripp?” Palin said, referring to her son and grandson, respectively. “Leadership in the US Congress this morning? Nah … not ’till after the Cheerios,” Palin said.

Dick Armey, chair of Freedom Works, which did a lot of ground work in organizing for the Tea Party, didn’t issue an endorsement but did remind people that Hensarling has solid conservative credentials.  He voted against TARP in 2008, one of the few to buck his own party and President to do so, as well as the GOP nominee in the presidential election that took place just a few weeks later.  Hensarling has also been at the forefront of fiscal-conservative policy formation over the past few years as a former Republican Study Committee chair, and has earned loyalty for his fundraising (as has Bachmann).

Either one would give fiscal conservatives a strong voice in leadership.  Hensarling, though, did not have the same level of public commitment to the Tea Party movement as did Bachmann, who spent considerable time helping people across the country to get organized and enthusiastic about the midterm elections.  On the other hand, one could argue that Bachmann may fill a better role as an outside check on GOP leadership, in a role perhaps more analogous to the Tea Party itself.

What do you think? Take the poll:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

I didn’t want O’Donnel, but did I support her when she became the front runner? Yes! So how about you do the same for Hensarling? Give the dude a chance.

Jesse on November 5, 2010 at 7:31 PM

Excellent point. I wonder how many of the people bashing Hensarling here were pissed at all the conservatives who bashed COD?

ladyingray on November 5, 2010 at 7:35 PM

Um, dude. The tea party won on Tuesday.

peacenprosperity on November 5, 2010 at 6:58 PM

Oh, yeah, that’s right. That’s why we have Senators-elect Angel and O’Donnell.

TEA Party candidates won. There is no TEA “Party”, there are TEA parties. It is better if it remains a grass roots movement not corrupted by the status, and yes, “power” of a “party”.

ladyingray on November 5, 2010 at 7:37 PM

I want the Republicans to be aware and appreciative of the local Tea Parties but I don’t want them to try and incorporate them. Rep. Bachmann was a winner before the Tea Parties but she needs to leave them out of Washington. Maybe instead of a leadership position she could act as an unofficial liaison between the grass roots and the lawmakers.

Cindy Munford on November 5, 2010 at 8:07 PM

We cannot afford to let big government, big spending Republicans continue to take us down the road to ruin.

chalons on November 5, 2010 at 8:15 PM

So, Cindy (Cindy Munford on November 5, 2010 at 8:07 PM), you want the GOP to tell the TP “thanks, we don’t need you any more”? Isn’t that what the GOP has ALWAYS been telling Conservatives? Sure, it is. So the TP that has given the elitists GOP power in the House IN Washington is to be relegated to the fringes once more, having done all their massas’ hard work, eh? No leadership position for the non-elite Conservative grunts. Something unofficial, you know. Nothing that would make the great unwashed think they can actually have a seat at the table. After all, they are not really the type of GOPers we need to have in power. Yeah, I agree with you wholeheartedly, Cindy. Now that the unwashed TPers have done their all to put the elites in control all around the control, they ought to bow out of the way and let their betters govern. Yeah, no leadership post for Bachmann, the unwashed.

SilentWatcher on November 5, 2010 at 8:23 PM

Rockmom, Pete Sessions, John Cornyn, and the GOP power elite had nothing to do with the victory the TP folk handed the GOP all across the country. If you look carefully, you’ll find that candidates supported by Sessions’s and his ilk were losers at the primary level. The RNC, NRCC, and all these other elite GOP groups want to ride to power on the back of Conservatives and then piss on us at the end of the ride. We have a long list of GOP pissers, and they’re the old guard who think it is better for Democrats than for Conservatives to win cuz those Conservatives aren’t their kind of GOPer. Ask COD, Miller, Ellmers, Angle, and a bunch of others how much assistance they had from the GOP.

Now the GOP controls the House, and it wasn’t moderate or liberal political philosophy that brought that and other Statewide victories. It was Conservative ideas down the line. Sessions, Cornyn, and their ilk? Hypocrites.

SilentWatcher on November 5, 2010 at 8:31 PM

I add Eric Cantor (are we supposed to take this dolt’s status as a Young Gun seriously?) to the Elitists. He’s putting on make up to hide his moderate stripes, but he’s not one of us.

SilentWatcher on November 5, 2010 at 8:32 PM

ladyingray on November 5, 2010 at 7:35 PM

Who exactly is “bashing” hensarling? Most of us just want Bachmann to have a fair shot.

alwaysfiredup on November 5, 2010 at 8:38 PM

I’m just talking since I can’t see any of my posts.

If I were Bachmann, here’s what I’d do: I’d contact each of the 63 incoming freshmen, arrange a meeting, and strategize with them. I’d OWN then before they got to the House. The elites don’t want TP Conservatives at the table? Okay. We’re not. We’re going to fight you on every vote unless you meet our constitutional concerns. That’s what we’re going to do publicly and privately. How is that different from what we’d do if we have a seat at the table? The difference is this: we’re letting the country know, openly, that you GOP elites cannot be trusted to toe the constitutional line. We are working to make you GOP elites the third party.

SilentWatcher on November 5, 2010 at 8:39 PM

Hensarling sat quiet when TP Conservatives running on the GOP ticked needed assistance, when the only other candidate was a Democrat. Why should Bachmann who helped bring in 63 newbies, yield to him? We don’t think of Bachmann as “an unserious and unhelpful spokesman” for the GOP. Had she been, she wouldn’t have been out there taking and returning fire and helping to elect enough Conservatives to give the elitists like Ryan, Hansarling, Cornyn, Sessions, etc. power. Ryan and Hansarling may be fiscal conservatives, but they sure do toe the party line otherwise, don’t they?

SilentWatcher on November 5, 2010 at 8:45 PM

Just to be clear – I like Bachmann a lot. But this is not just the Tea Party’s win, and if they are going to have the attitude that “We Won” and “off with their heads”, it will end very badly. See Obama, Barack.

And just because some of you have never heard of Hensarling is completely irrelevant. It’s not about you.

Buy Danish on November 5, 2010 at 8:47 PM

If you actually heard Jeb Hensarling speak on the Constitution it would make you cry.
rockmom on November 5, 2010 at 3:07 PM

And THAT my friend is the problem……no one has heard him “speak”.
tencole on November 5, 2010 at 3:18 PM

The GOP men are spineless. They want to be loved by the MSM; they appease instead of attack. I don’t care how beautifully Hensarling speaks about the Constitution if he won’t get out there and fight for it. Bachmann is a fighter who doesn’t back down. That’s the kind of GOPer we need to deal with the socialist Dems and their lapdog media. We don’t need softies to support the status quo. We need fearless people with strong Conservative philosophy that they will defend to the death. Only the GOP women have that. There’s no GOP man out there with that sort of standing; the incoming guys, yes. THe old guard? No.

SilentWatcher on November 5, 2010 at 8:55 PM

Palin, in an e-mail to The Daly Caller, declined to endorse Bachmann,

Much ado about nothing.

All things political revolving around Palin is getting old.

Bobby Jindal 2012.

rukiddingme on November 5, 2010 at 8:56 PM

alwaysfiredup on November 5, 2010 at 8:38 PM

If you are, then stop whining.

ladyingray on November 5, 2010 at 8:56 PM

Ernesto has weighed in to endorse Hensarling. That settles it for me!

james23 on November 5, 2010 at 8:56 PM

SilentWatcher on November 5, 2010 at 8:39 PM

The problem is…not every new House Member is TEA party.

Y’all really don’t get it.

ladyingray on November 5, 2010 at 8:58 PM

alwaysfiredup on November 5, 2010 at 8:38 PM

Who said she isn’t getting a fair shot? Nothing has even happend yet but people are already whining about the outcome. if she doesn’t get the seat, so what? Is it the end of the world really? This election wasn’t about catering to one group. All of you have to learn to work together.

It’s selfish to think only “your” candidates should hold an office. Let the party you elected decide who is to have what seat within the party. And YOU support it, the way people like me supported you.

Jesse on November 5, 2010 at 9:02 PM

If you are, then stop whining.

ladyingray on November 5, 2010 at 8:56 PM

Exactly!

Jesse on November 5, 2010 at 9:04 PM

If you are, then stop whining.

ladyingray on November 5, 2010 at 8:56 PM

Ok, personal ad hominem. I wasn’t whining. I expressed a view that she deserves a shot at a substantive position even if not this one. Get off your high horse.

alwaysfiredup on November 5, 2010 at 9:06 PM

Ernesto has weighed in to endorse Hensarling. That settles it for me!

james23 on November 5, 2010 at 8:56 PM

I’m as “right” as ernesto is “left” and I “endorse” Henarling.

What do you make of that?

Let the House decide. You don’t get a vote.

ladyingray on November 5, 2010 at 9:11 PM

Jeez, I’m starting to feel sorry for Hensarling. Now The Blue Site has endorsed him. When does crr666 weigh in for Jeb?

james23 on November 5, 2010 at 9:11 PM

james23 on November 5, 2010 at 9:11 PM

You know what all of this means? Absolutely nothing! You know it’s funny, If it wasn’t reported who was running fo these postitions no one would care since none of us even really know these people.

So how about do this, forget you even heard of thier names and move on? You can’t change who they pick since you don’t get a vote. And what if they pick Jeb? Are you going to play the same party politics you accuse others of and not support him because he is not “Tea Party”? This hypocrisy has to stop.

Jesse on November 5, 2010 at 9:20 PM

SilentWatcher on November 5, 2010 at 8:23 PM

No, you misunderstand me. I don’t want the Tea Party to be part of Washington. I didn’t like the idea of the “Tea Party Caucus” that was attempted before the election. I want them to remain independent and not be corrupted by D.C.. If you had been aware of earlier opinions you would know that I firmly believed that the Republican leadership had a duty to support and campaign for all nominees elected in the primaries. I even sent emails to them about it. The Tea Parties are an enigma, I don’t want them to be taken for granted. As for leadership in Congress, their job is to outmaneuver the Democrat procedurally. Period.

Cindy Munford on November 5, 2010 at 9:37 PM

How do Bachmann’s votes compare?

I like the lady but the other fellow sounds good too.

AshleyTKing on November 5, 2010 at 9:38 PM

SilentWatcher on November 5, 2010 at 8:23 PM

I will say this for you. When you are clueless about what a person is saying you just jump in there whole hog and get everything wrong. I don’t mind you disagreeing with me but have the courtesy of at least knowing my position instead of making it up from whole cloth.

Cindy Munford on November 5, 2010 at 9:40 PM

Great info about Hensarling and why he’s the man at Reason.

Buy Danish on November 5, 2010 at 10:05 PM

Where the heck are my last two remarks?

Cindy Munford on November 5, 2010 at 10:05 PM

SilentWatcher on November 5, 2010 at 8:23 PM

That’s quite the interpretation you put on my words. Pretty presumptuous.

Cindy Munford on November 5, 2010 at 10:08 PM

Test……

Cindy Munford on November 5, 2010 at 10:11 PM

SilentWatcher on November 5, 2010 at 8:23 PM

This is the fourth time I have tried to answer you. I don’t mind you disagreeing with my opinion but at least let it be MY opinion. Not your half baked interpretation of what I sad. Your paraphrasing has absolutely nothing in common with what I said. If you need clarification, ask a question, don’t make up things out of whole cloth.

Cindy Munford on November 5, 2010 at 10:15 PM

The only thing I want the Republican leadership to do and to do well is outmaneuver the Democrats procedurally.

Cindy Munford on November 5, 2010 at 10:26 PM

Jesse on November 5, 2010 at 9:20 PM

Proof positive it’s not just Palin supporters who overreact to the slightest whiff of criticism.

alwaysfiredup on November 5, 2010 at 10:44 PM

Great info about Hensarling and why he’s the man at Reason.

Buy Danish on November 5, 2010 at 10:05 PM

That article also calls Bachmann a “loon” as part of why people should support Hensarling. A publication called Reason ought to do far better than that. Fail.

alwaysfiredup on November 5, 2010 at 10:46 PM

Jesse on November 5, 2010 at 9:20 PM

People aren’t as uninformed, or as powerless, as you suppose them to be. Folks plan to confront the GOP establishment at every step for the next couple of years. Suggest you get used to it.

james23 on November 5, 2010 at 10:55 PM

Thank you AP.

Cindy Munford on November 5, 2010 at 11:31 PM

How exactly is this moron Bachman a “fiscal conservative”???????????????

cableguy615 on November 6, 2010 at 12:30 AM

james23 on November 5, 2010 at 10:55 PM

No, what I think you want to do is split conservatives with your petty purity tests so you can pretend you have all of this power. And you know what that will accomplish? Dem majorities.

Jesse on November 6, 2010 at 2:37 AM

alwaysfiredup on November 5, 2010 at 10:44 PM

So where is this criticism? All I am hearing is whining over who should or shouldn’t be put in the GOP power structure. I have a radical idea, how about you start supporting a few efforts instead of complaining about your pet canidate not getting a seat at the table?

Jesse on November 6, 2010 at 2:42 AM

I confess to not knowing one blessed thing about Hensarling and am not here to criticize the endorsement for him to assume a leadership post.

However, it is patently outrageous for any Republican to view Michelle Bachmann as an “unhelpful spokesman for the party.” Where is the gratitude for all the energy she brought to bear in this election? Was it not she who held an anti-Obamacare rally in November 2009 to be one of the most instrumental forces in galvanizing the Tea Party opposition to Obamacare – the repeal of which has been announced as a primary objective by the new House leadership?

Michelle Bachmann is far from “unhelpful.” She stuck her neck out repeatedly to be a voice in the wilderness and a voice for conservatives everywhere. She has taken numerous slings and arrows from liberals for having done so. She should be thanked by the leadership for everything she has done to rally conservatives. I would like to see at least some kind of expression of gratitude by the GOP leadership.

So help me, if I continue to see this kind of back-biting and ingratitude from the GOP leadership, the RNC will continue to register a ZERO from me in $$ contributions, and I will continue to limit my contributions to individual conservative campaigns.

OneVision on November 6, 2010 at 4:53 AM

Clarification to previous post: last sentence means I will focus my contributions to individual conservative campaigns as opposed to the RNC overall, not that I would seek to place any small limits on my $$ contributions toward those individual campaigns.

OneVision on November 6, 2010 at 5:06 AM

I’m hoping that the “”Boys Club” in DC leadership isn’t going to turn out to be sexist…..but it’s starting to look that way.

And the RINO infested GOP is going to fight Palin with EVERYTHING they have. The minions are beginning their assault in earnest. . These gals are pissing off all the right people. Good for them.

PappyD61 on November 6, 2010 at 8:47 AM

If we’re stuck with the Wicked Witch of the Dems as minority leader than we need Michell in a position of power. She’s a match for Nancy Pants with whom we may be stuck until some House falls on her.

jeanie on November 6, 2010 at 11:34 AM

Oh, yeah, that’s right. That’s why we have Senators-elect Angel and O’Donnell.

Hey nitwit, there are 63 new republican reps and 6 new senators. A historic election.
Yet you mention 2 and act like it’s a defeat. Before ed came along this site was a conservative site. Now it’s filled with squishys who believe the msm before they believe their own eyes.

peacenprosperity on November 6, 2010 at 12:01 PM

Give him a chance means rolling over before the election? I don’t think so. If he wins,I will support him. But him being the “front runner” don’t make him annointed for the slot just yet. How about we let MB take her shot at the slot, and see how well she does.

Skywatcher44 on November 6, 2010 at 12:21 PM

Unless the Tea Party consensus becomes “We are taking over the Republican Party” it should stay separate, perhaps as a caucus open to Democrats and Republicans who favor the basic Tea Party ideals.

At some point taking over one of the major parties may be in order. The Republican Party looks like the current target. I wonder if it would be possible to push the big government anti-religious socialists out of the Democratic party. That is an amusing image and all depends on how thoroughly marginalized the current extremists become over time. And we should REALLY be working on marginalizing them completely rather than having them at the wheels of even a greatly reduced Democratic party. The Democrat “brand” has some meaning that has been perverted over the years taking it away from many rank and file Democrats.

(Hint, I’m OK and play well with small government social conservatives and liberals. If the government is small enough their other agenda can’t hurt me much. And mostly I want the friggling government out of my hair.)

{^_^}

herself on November 6, 2010 at 6:24 PM

“I have no problem with that. Let Hensarling and Bachmann run for the position and then accept the results. I am willing. Are you?

If you are, then stop whining.

ladyingray on November 5, 2010 at 8:56 PM”

Lol, you sound like the people who whined about Castle and Sue L losing. When a conservative loses, they play by the rules. We step aside and endorse, unlike the stinking rino and establishment types. We all will accept the decision, we will just take notes. Eventually we will turn the Republican Party men into a political force, just like the women.

Africanus on November 7, 2010 at 5:59 AM

What are the duties of the Conference Chair? I want the person with the skills best suited for the position. I love it when the Republicans mess with the Democrats procedurally.

Cindy Munford on November 7, 2010 at 9:02 AM

Mr. Ryan and other “establishments” better understand that WE the Tea Partiers will not stand for you to just “thank” us for the wins in this last election, but then pass us by when it comes to the roles in this next session of Congress. Michele Bachmann deserves that role way ahead of Congressman Hensarling, what money did he raise this last election??
Mr. Ryan, please think before you speak.

mmcnamer1 on November 7, 2010 at 11:48 AM

Mr. Ryan, please think before you speak.

mmcnamer1 on November 7, 2010 at 11:48 AM

I must have been sleeping and missed this but, when did Rand all of a sudden become part of the “establishment”?

Now I am suppose to believe that Rand is no longer part of the “Tea Party” because he has a different opinion from yours about who should be in a particular role? So Jeb (and everyone else) should just role over for Bachmann because you say so and if you don’t, You are now a RINO?

I seriously hope people like this never get a voice in the party. Because if they do, we can kiss goodbye ever getting majorities again.

Jesse on November 7, 2010 at 8:09 PM

LMFAO!

I read through these comments this morning because I decided to take the weekend off from politics. Wow. I see what it’s gonna be like now. Worse than it was when the two sides of the aisle of the GOP fight to take down Fred, Rudy, Mitt, and gave us what NH and IA, two states that are obviously the definition of CONSERVATIVE (sarc), thought was the BEST representation of the GOP we could come up with after all the infighting. Then McCain turned right around and SUSPENDED his campaign and did NOT fight so that we ended up with a $750 Billion Stimulus Package and the election of the WORST President since President Carter and who may very well end up being worse than even him. You people simply make me laugh. You guys can’t grab yourselves by the backside and act like a winning Party if your lives depended on it. Let me tell you a little something. Now, you life does!

The GOP is classic for ripping defeat from victory and letting the Democrats define ALL the arguments. So much so that you find yourselves arguing amongst yourselves about what Democrats think. What Independents think. Anyone but yourselves. Always defining your arguments by wins vs losses instead of your principals like it should be. You guys talk about PACKAGING as if that’s the substance. None of you ever really GOT President Reagan did you? You all look and act like a bunch of clowns.

Bachmann, Hensarling, Ryan, Obama, Palin… what they think… Who cares? You know who needs to be in the position? The one who DOES what the voters sent them to do. Bottom Line: If they back down; if they don’t accomplish what we asked them to do; if ObamaCare starts up; if taxes hamstring us; if the debt keeps growing; if we allow the infighting to tear down our Presidential candidates by talking nastiness versus policy; if we allow Pres. Obama to get credit for positives that were generated by the new GOP control House because our Leaders are too busy pointing fingers at each other then talking substantive information about the whys and hows then none of this is gonna matter. The GOP will never be what you remembered as the GOP again. Whether the Tea Party takes over the GOP or the make another Party, there will NEVER be an ability to reconcile our differences again. Our friends are becoming BIGGER enemies than our traditional enemies. Who do I dislike more? Lindsey Graham or President Obama? Harry Reid or Trent Lott? Karl Rove or James Carville? Sorry folks. At least the Democrats admit to being my enemy. A shoot a wolf in sheep’s clothing any second of the day. And that’s just the way it is.

Sultry Beauty on November 8, 2010 at 12:52 PM