Ryan endorses Hensarling over Bachmann for leadership post

posted at 2:15 pm on November 5, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

It didn’t take long for Rep. Michele Bachmann’s decision to run for Conference Chair in the House Republican caucus to get a reaction from her colleagues.  Caucus veterans started lining up behind Bachmann’s opponent for the position, Jeb Hensarling of Texas.  Wisconsin’s Paul Ryan, who is well-regarded by the fiscal conservatives active in the Tea Party movement, endorsed Hensarling in a letter to current House Republicans:

House Republicans Thursday reacted strongly against Rep. Michele Bachmann’s decision to run for a top leadership post in the new majority, looking to nip in the bud any chance that she might attract support from the substantially large group of incoming freshman lawmakers.

The trick for Republicans is to keep Bachmann – the Minnesota Republican viewed by many in leadership as an unserious and unhelpful spokesman for the party – away from an elevated platform that many in the party feel would hinder or harm the GOP, without being viewed as not listening to the Tea Party movement, which supplied much of the energy that gave them a 61-seat pickup and control of the House. …

Top House Republicans from Eric Cantor to Paul Ryan are firmly behind Hensarling, arguing that he is a solid conservative who will provide the very “constitutional conservatism” that Bachmann says she represents.

But Hensarling is far less well known beyond Washington and his home district of the southeast Dallas suburbs, so there is potential for average grassroots conservatives who know of Bachmann but not Hensarling to interpret the party’s support for the latter as a slight of the Tea Party.

To that question, it may be one missing endorsement that could make the case for Hensarling:

Palin, in an e-mail to The Daly Caller, declined to endorse Bachmann, even though she has been an outspoken advocate on the congresswoman’s behalf and accused Politico of sexism Thursday for using a picture of Bachmann having makeup applied to her face.

“I’m taking a position on who gets to sit in the big boy highchair this morning for breakfast… Trig or Tripp?” Palin said, referring to her son and grandson, respectively. “Leadership in the US Congress this morning? Nah … not ’till after the Cheerios,” Palin said.

Dick Armey, chair of Freedom Works, which did a lot of ground work in organizing for the Tea Party, didn’t issue an endorsement but did remind people that Hensarling has solid conservative credentials.  He voted against TARP in 2008, one of the few to buck his own party and President to do so, as well as the GOP nominee in the presidential election that took place just a few weeks later.  Hensarling has also been at the forefront of fiscal-conservative policy formation over the past few years as a former Republican Study Committee chair, and has earned loyalty for his fundraising (as has Bachmann).

Either one would give fiscal conservatives a strong voice in leadership.  Hensarling, though, did not have the same level of public commitment to the Tea Party movement as did Bachmann, who spent considerable time helping people across the country to get organized and enthusiastic about the midterm elections.  On the other hand, one could argue that Bachmann may fill a better role as an outside check on GOP leadership, in a role perhaps more analogous to the Tea Party itself.

What do you think? Take the poll:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

I look at this from a little different point of view — the state representation vs. the individuals. Both candidates have their virtues and would be good in the job, but wouldn’t it be positive to have the MN person in a high-profile job?

RushBaby on November 5, 2010 at 2:47 PM

So let me get this straight.

The entire GOP leadership in the House will consist of excatly ZERO Tea Party candidates?

Yeah, real smart move….NOT

Norwegian on November 5, 2010 at 2:47 PM

Palin… accused Politico of sexism Thursday for using a picture of Bachmann having makeup applied to her face.

What’s sauce for the gander is sauce for the goose.

Akzed on November 5, 2010 at 2:48 PM

Thank you suh, we’z dummies will sits down now and follows the recommendications of our betters.

Bishop on November 5, 2010 at 2:46 PM

Hold on just a cotton-pickin’ minute there, suh. You’uns ain’t from Dixie. I is. But, you is right. We’uns will just shet up and listen to them thar edjimicated fellers.

kingsjester on November 5, 2010 at 2:49 PM

It’s simply amazing that a guy who voted for TARP, bailouts, and taxing of AIG bonuses is highly regarded by fiscal conservatives.

Notorious GOP on November 5, 2010 at 2:50 PM

Yeah, real smart move….NOT

Norwegian on November 5, 2010 at 2:47 PM

How old is the Tea Party?
How often do freshman get placed in leadership positions?

pedestrian on November 5, 2010 at 2:50 PM

You cannot be serious. So now anyone who’s been on MSNBC is disqualified for leadership?

HondaV65 on November 5, 2010 at 2:33 PM

Yes, she is a RINO. She goes and kisses the liberal asses of MSNBC commentators.

Destroy all RINOs!

rightistliberal on November 5, 2010 at 2:50 PM

Geez, why get spun up?

Assuming they are both conservatives, let their colleagues decide.

She isn’t being pushed out; she put her hat in the ring.

mockmook on November 5, 2010 at 2:50 PM

Michele Bachmann’s great at “rallying the troops” and she’s strong on policy, but we need someone who really knows how to play chess. I’m not sure she has demonstrated that kind of leadership ability.

I think it’s significant when well respected members of the tea party movement (e.g., Ryan, Cantor, and Armey) are backing the other guy.

Outlander on November 5, 2010 at 2:46 PM

This comment is a classic. That first sentence, I’ve read it at least a hundred times, except with Palin as the object. Seriously, the GOP has a problem with assertive women. Embarrassing for them, really.

And that second sentence, outlander, get real. None of the folks you mentioned are tea partiers. They are establishment GOP pols. You wouldn’t know a tea partier from a tea pot.

james23 on November 5, 2010 at 2:51 PM

Gee what do we do after winning an historic election?..I know let’s blow up the Republican party!..:(

Dire Straits on November 5, 2010 at 2:51 PM

Destroy all RINOs!

rightistliberal on November 5, 2010 at 2:50 PM

sarcasm right?

HondaV65 on November 5, 2010 at 2:51 PM

Also, he has an all-time rating of over 98% by the ACU.

keepinitreal on November 5, 2010 at 2:39 PM

ACU ratings are a gimmick.

FloatingRock on November 5, 2010 at 2:51 PM

It doesn’t matter if you’ve never heard of him, Jeb’s the man.

This is where people start to go wrong, thinking that every position needs to be filled with “a name” rather than with the most qualified, best person for the job.

Just be competent, do your job, and let the theatrics take care of themselves.

Abby Adams on November 5, 2010 at 2:46 PM

A decent argument. And the argument about putting safe districts in high profile spots is good too.

The problem is that the Tea Party is being left out in the cold.

That needs to be addressed.

fossten on November 5, 2010 at 2:51 PM

kingsjester on November 5, 2010 at 2:49 PM

Ya shuts yer yap, cornfed. Hayseeds are hayseeds no matta which holler we hail from, and if you was dumheaded enuf to support that O’Donnelizer woman from back east, then you is just dumheaded.

Bishop on November 5, 2010 at 2:52 PM

Hensarling is a solid Conservative. So is Bachman…maybe she should run for Vice-Chair. They’d be a good duo.

JonPrichard on November 5, 2010 at 2:52 PM

So let me get this straight.

Yeah, real smart move….NOT

Norwegian on November 5, 2010 at 2:47 PM

Who cares? Seriously, Hensarling is super conservative and probably agrees with the tea party on most ,if not all, issues. Does it matter if he’s officially associated with the tea party? I say no. Not only that, but he’s not as big of a target to after as Bachman is. Bachman is not too different from Pelosi…both fire up and are loved by the base but are very polarizing and turn off independents. Bachman would be an eay target to go after and run against…like the GOP did to Pelosi and the Democrats this year.

keepinitreal on November 5, 2010 at 2:53 PM

Why are people down on Bachmann? I’ve not followed her too closely, but whenever I’ve seen her speak, or read something she’s written/said, I haven’t come away thinking “bimbo” or “shallow”.

Is she more of a firebrand, with no depth to her? She’s certainly risen to the challenge when Chris Matthews has gone after her. Not a terribly high bar, to be sure.

nukemhill on November 5, 2010 at 2:53 PM

Bishop on November 5, 2010 at 2:52 PM

I guess so. Bizarro done told me I wuz.

kingsjester on November 5, 2010 at 2:54 PM

Okay all those who claim to know nothing about Hensarling, here is some homework.

Find out more about Hensarling, and what he has done and led the charge against to further conservatism.

I never ever heard of Bachmann until she stood with Newt in Drill Baby Drill. She along with 90% of those who post here (especially the staff like Ed & Allah) don’t know squat about oil & gas and WHY it is the single most important commodity, OUTSIDE of “energy”, in the U.S.

Kermit on November 5, 2010 at 2:54 PM

In my opinion the “GOP Young Guns” are not up to the task – Cantor especially. As Majority Leader, I can see that he could end up being our Nancy Pelosi – easily vilified. That’s not a good quality in a leader. I hope he goes low key but I doubt he will. Democrats will probably end up raising a lot of money using him as their poster child.

Bachmann is not going to win the spot but I think they’ll offer her something to keep her happy.

Done That on November 5, 2010 at 2:54 PM

She’s a woman seeking entrance to the boys club. the GOP has a problem no one wants to talk about.

james23 on November 5, 2010 at 2:56 PM

How often do freshman get placed in leadership positions?

pedestrian on November 5, 2010 at 2:50 PM

Bachmann a freshman???…..You’re kidding right?

tencole on November 5, 2010 at 2:56 PM

I missed the most important point: Palin is not in Congress. Neither she, nor anyone else who is not in Congress, should be making endorsements about strictly congressional matters.

Buy Danish on November 5, 2010 at 2:56 PM

Yep, the GOP needs to keep it up and they will guarantee a third-party.

KickandSwimMom on November 5, 2010 at 2:56 PM

james23 on November 5, 2010 at 2:51 PM

I was an early supporter of Palin, but if she can’t win over independents, them she shouldn’t be in a high visibility position. Sorry about that, but we need to show independents that our leadership is people they can trust. Although we trust someone who says the right ideological things, independents don’t. To gain independents’ trust, candidates need a proven track record of stable, proven performance. Palin and Bachman don’t have that. Sorry if that is sexist to you.

pedestrian on November 5, 2010 at 2:56 PM

How old is the Tea Party?
How often do freshman get placed in leadership positions?

pedestrian on November 5, 2010

She’s not a Freshman, has already served two terms I think. She fought the fight more publicly than Jeb but he’s been there fighting all along too. EITHER ONE WOULD BE GREAT, that’s why we’re lucky here, so we don’t need to fight over it or be ticked off when one or the other loses.

JonPrichard on November 5, 2010 at 2:57 PM

Who cares? Seriously, Hensarling is super conservative

keepinitreal on November 5, 2010 at 2:53 PM

He’s a SUPER CONSERVATIVE? What does that mean? How do you know?

and probably agrees with the tea party on most ,if not all, issues.

Doesn’t that fall short of ‘SUPER?’

fossten on November 5, 2010 at 2:57 PM

How old is the Tea Party?
How often do freshman get placed in leadership positions?
pedestrian on November 5, 2010 at 2:50 PM

She isn’t a freshman, she wasn’t forwarded by the Tea Party, she’s been an elected pol longer than Hensarling, she’s the first Republican woman to represent Minnesota in the House.

If anything, Bachmann should be given something more to prove to the long suffering GOP and conservatives up here in the north that there is something to work for.

Bishop on November 5, 2010 at 2:58 PM

How often do freshman get placed in leadership positions?

pedestrian on November 5, 2010 at 2:50 PM

Credibility, meet sh*tter.

fossten on November 5, 2010 at 2:58 PM

Bachmann needs to win this race. Ryan is a freaking Rino who supported TARP, the autop bailouts and the AIG bonus crap.

We need one of our own at the table.

unseen on November 5, 2010 at 2:26 PM

One thing about the Auto Bailout. The auto industry deserved to die – both the unions and the investors who propped them up. But there are thousands of other, well-run businesses that would be destroyed if the Auto-industry simply collapsed – all the people who make parts, the dealers, etc. While nothing is certain, it seems likely that the damage to the economy would be huge. Would it be right to let it collapse even if it punished millions of people who had nothing to do with its poor management, and brought unemployment to 15 or 20%? Does trying to prevent a genuine economic catastrophe make you a RINO?

More to the point, has Bachmann ever acknowledged this possibility? The same idea applies to TARP.

There are 3 reasons to oppose the Bailouts:

1. You are aware of the arguments that it will lead to an economic catastrophe, but disagree with those arguments.

2. You agree it will lead to an economic collapse, but you argue that such a disaster is inevitable, and may as well happen now.

3. You are unaware of the possibility that it will lead to a catastrophe, because you haven’t thought things through.

Has Bachmann ever made any arguments supporting #1 or #2 (That’s an honest question – maybe she did and I’m just unaware)? If not, why would we want someone who embodies #3 in the leadership?

I agree that the “too big to fail” mentality has to change – but someone needs to propose a realistic way to allow these companies to collapse without taking the rest of us with them.

RINO in Name Only on November 5, 2010 at 2:58 PM

Buy Danish on November 5, 2010 at 2:56 PM

It’s known as the peoples House.

FloatingRock on November 5, 2010 at 2:59 PM

Bachmann a freshman???…..You’re kidding right?

tencole on November 5, 2010 at 2:56 PM

Not kidding, I was replying to some one who said there should be Tea Partiers in leadership positions. There aren’t many to choose from who are not freshman. We don’t need lightning rods right now, we need to prepare for 2012. Nothing is going to happen in Washington in the next 2 years other than to get ready for the next election, so leadership positions need to be assigned based on the next election and nothing else.

pedestrian on November 5, 2010 at 2:59 PM

So let me get this straight.

Yeah, real smart move….NOT

Norwegian on November 5, 2010 at 2:47 PM

Don’t worry. If the GOP goes back to old ways it will be completely over taken by the Tea Party.

TheBigOldDog on November 5, 2010 at 2:59 PM

nukemhill on November 5, 2010 at 2:53 PM

I lover her, and I think she is plenty smart, but Jeb Hensarling is brilliant. Republicans and Tea Party activists will be more than happy with him. I am telling you, he is one of the smartest and most principled conservatives that has ever served in Congress. I simply cannot say enough good things about him! The first time I saw him in action I thought he was a future Speaker.

I encourage everyone to go find some video of Hensarling, especially in some of the TARP discussions and House Financial Services Committee hearings. He is amazing.

This really should not be about who the Tea Party loves or about giving “us” a seat at the leadership table. It should be about putting the best possible minds in the leadership, and Hensarling is one of them.

rockmom on November 5, 2010 at 2:59 PM

As for Bachmann, maybe leading the Tea Party Caucus is a better fit for her. She has an outsider, anti-establishment reputation that would be undermined somewhat by becoming the Conference Chairperson.

Doughboy on November 5, 2010 at 2:21 PM

I guess I agree with this. I’m a little wary of how others will react to it though, it could be needless conflict, and you know this is catnip to the liberal media types who are desperate to get the Tea Party angry at the GOP and split off into third party guaranteeing liberals can win with %43 in elections where a conservative should be.

Michele Bachmann will have an impact if the Tea Party Caucus becomes something useful. A great idea would be to have hearings or meetings and invite some of the TP groups around the country to send people to be panelists, or participate in some way.

This can work out fine, so I would say relax a bit and see where it goes.

Brian1972 on November 5, 2010 at 2:59 PM

canopfor on November 5, 2010 at 2:38 PM

Again I want you to know that I would NOT do anything to hurt your feelings or cut you down my friend..I enjoy posting with you and picking at each other..I consider you one of my best cyber friends..Again if I offended you I AM SORRY! you..I promise I did not mean to..:):)

PS..Hotty Totty!!

Dire Straits on November 5, 2010 at 2:46 PM

Dire Straits:

Ugh,its was me that was being snarky and jokeing,we will end this soap opera,prior to the election,you said,you
better be on,and don’t give me an excuse wife needs facebook,hehe.

Then,on election night,you were on other threads,so I said
Where the Hell were You,and I was kidding,then,I posted,
Hey,I was kidding,no it wasn’t you,it was me,sorry!!:)

To Hot Air Crew,sorry for the soap opera:)

canopfor on November 5, 2010 at 3:00 PM

So, having brought the House to the GOP, the TP must now sit down and shut up and do what their betters tell them? Bachmann who has been instrumental in fighting for Conservative causes—where was Hensarling?—is to be shut out by the boys? Oh NO! The Dems ran against Bachmann, keepinitreal; they TARGETED her for elimination, and she used the web to kick her fundraising into gear and alert people. She won re-election; not so easy a target, is she? So, that comparison of Bachmann to Pelosi is a nasty piece of elitist GOP spin intended to slime the woman who worked to add Conservatives to the House while the man, Hansarling, who is “super conservative” sat on his behind and did nothing to help the GOP take over the House. Nice. The GOP needs to remember who brung them to the dance and who doesn’t need them.

SilentWatcher on November 5, 2010 at 3:00 PM

Outlander on November 5, 2010 at 2:46 PM

sexism is a bad thing in the GOP and must be stamped out.

unseen on November 5, 2010 at 3:01 PM

This isn’t just about Bachmann. The GOP is shutting out all of the people who were backed by the tea party. Mark Levin spoke with Joe Miller yesterday and no one from the NRSC has contacted him whatsoever about supporting him on the recount in Alaska. WTH? No, they are too busy moving quickly to fill the leadership positions with their cronies.

I am really starting to dislike the republican party — and I’m not alone.

KickandSwimMom on November 5, 2010 at 3:02 PM

canopfor on November 5, 2010 at 3:00 PM

No problem friend..You just let me know if I screw up again..:)

PS..Hotty Totty..:)

Dire Straits on November 5, 2010 at 3:02 PM

Seems the GOP leadership always gets a little nervous when any member articulates adherence to the Constitution. I think they’re afraid someone like Bachmann won’t play fair and be a thorn in their side.

darwin on November 5, 2010 at 3:02 PM

Anyone that endorsed DEDE should not have a leadership position. No one

unseen on November 5, 2010 at 3:02 PM

am really starting to dislike the republican party — and I’m not alone.

KickandSwimMom on November 5, 2010 at 3:02 PM

yeap the GOP establishment can go to hell. their abandonment of ellmers was the last straw now this.

The primary field just opened up wide.

unseen on November 5, 2010 at 3:05 PM

Well … here’s the deal …

First – there’s a difference between “Conservative” and “Establishment”. “Conservative” is a political ideology – while “Establishment” is a mindset caused by becoming “out of touch” with common Americans or, never having been “in touch” with them before due to circumstances of birth – socio economic group, etc. You CAN be both a “Conservative” and “Establishment” – to wit … John Cornyn. Guy’s a conservative, I have no problem with the way he votes on the issues as a Senator – but as chairman of the NRSC – he’s just an “Establishment” idiot – forget being out of touch of with common Americans – this guy’s out of touch with reality and planet Earth as well.

I have no problem if this other guy … “what’s his name?” … gets this job. Sorry … I don’t know his name and that’s a bit of a problem – because I should know his name just as well as I know Michelle Bachmann’s – but I don’t … why is that?

Hmmm … this guy is from Texas – and that’s not even very far from me – in fact, it’s the next state over. MIchelle though – I know her – and she’s from waaaaaaaay accross the nation from me – up there in Minnesota. She’s a Yankee – but I like her – and I know very well about Michelle. Why do I know HER – she who lives so far from me – but I don’t know “what’s his name” from right next door in Texas?

Well – I think maybe the fact that Michelle has been so active and participative with the grassroots liberty movement – that she has made a name for herself. I’ve seen her called a wh0re and a host of other names by liberals – while “Mr. Whats-his-name” … I haven’t heard them calling him many names. Wonder why? He must not tick off liberals the way ole’ Michelle does I guess – which makes me wonder if he’s really in the fight – or if he likes the women to do the fighting.

I’m sure he’s a nice guy and I have no problems with him getting this leadership position – whatever … but …

The good ole elite’s can’t keep us away from the table very long – now that we are the ones that got organized and saved the GOP’s ass.

Thanksgiving is just around the corner! ;)

HondaV65 on November 5, 2010 at 3:05 PM

So says Ed Morrissey who initially boohooed the Tea Party until it became obvious that its strength was extremely popular. Ed still eschews the activists who BEGAN the Tea Party movement, those who organized the first Libertarian-Republican “Tea Party Protests”. For example, years ago recall Michelle Malkin’s coordinated confrontation, ridiculing and slandering the protesters of the Federal Reserve as radical lunatics, claiming they yelled “Kill M.M.”

If you believed everything Ed Morrissey says, you’d think that either Palin or FreedomWorks invented the Tea Party and that Pawlenty is a constitutional conservative. Pfff

“Roadmap For America” by “Young Guns’” RYAN isn’t anything more than warm and fuzzy neoconservative small talk that doesn’t offend Marxists.

That the Republican Establishment is rallying to knife Bachmann in the back ASAP is not a surprise. That Ed Morrissey backs the establishment vs. constitutional conservancy is no surprise.

This move is TOTALLY predictable. USURP THE TEA PARTY.

Furthermore, in Bachmann’s case this provides one more example of Republican men relegating a constitutional conservative Republican woman to strictly non-leadership capacity. Republican establishment elitists would rather align with progressive faux “young gun” neoconservative men and RINO women like the Maine twinsies. No matter what he says, Ryan will compromise everything in his Congressional shell game.

If she hasn’t already, Bachmann should formalize the Congressional Tea Party Caucus.

maverick muse on November 5, 2010 at 3:06 PM

I am really starting to dislike the republican party — and I’m not alone.

KickandSwimMom on November 5, 2010

The issue regarding this position or ‘seat at the table’ isn’t a matter of Tea Party or not Tea Party, or Old/New or even Cronies/Not Cronies. It is about Conservative/Not Conservative. And that’s what the Tea Party itself is for too. Both these candidates are Conservative – so its win-win.

Besides, the Tea Party doesn’t necessarily need a seat at the table – it IS the table.

JonPrichard on November 5, 2010 at 3:07 PM

rockmom on November 5, 2010 at 2:59 PM

the fact that he Endorsed DEDE at the request of leadership shows any conservative values he has he will chuck at the first oppurtunity when the leadership asks him too. We will not allow the RINOs to damage the GOP brand again.

unseen on November 5, 2010 at 3:07 PM

darwin on November 5, 2010 at 3:02 PM

If you actually heard Jeb Hensarling speak on the Constitution it would make you cry.

rockmom on November 5, 2010 at 3:07 PM

unseen on November 5, 2010 at 3:07 PM

Got a link for that?

rockmom on November 5, 2010 at 3:07 PM

I think she is more valuable leading the Tea Party caucus.

huckleberryfriend on November 5, 2010 at 3:09 PM

If the other guy voted against TARP in 2008, then he’s got to have some chops. I don’t know enough to have an opinion as I am not a liberal, but

joeindc44 on November 5, 2010 at 3:09 PM

pedestrian on November 5, 2010 at 2:56 PM

Tell me again what Jeb Hensarling, whom no one has heard of, has done to establish his “proven track record of proven performance” to independents? 99 Indies out of 100 couldn’t pick him out of a police line up.

rockmom above alluded to hensarling’s “great work.” Please elaborate. What has he done? In the current environment, is it possible to do “great work” and be completely unknown?

james23 on November 5, 2010 at 3:09 PM

canopfor on November 5, 2010 at 3:00 PM
============
No problem friend..You just let me know if I screw up again..:)

PS..Hotty Totty..:)

Dire Straits on November 5, 2010 at 3:02 PM

Dire Straits:Haha,or me,alls good!:)

canopfor on November 5, 2010 at 3:10 PM

rockmom on November 5, 2010 at 2:59 PM

I agree.

Vashta.Nerada on November 5, 2010 at 3:10 PM

just because Bachman is awesome doesn’t mean she gets anything she wants.

joeindc44 on November 5, 2010 at 3:10 PM

We need one of our own at the table.

unseen on November 5, 2010 at 2:26 PM

The Tea Party Caucus can serve that function, while staying a little separate from the GOP leadership.

Bachmann built us our own table, in the House, where we are at the head. They will have to pay attention.

Also, someone asked if there are any conservative women in GOP House Leadership. Yes, Rep Marsha Blackburn (R-TN) has been in the leadership in this current Congress, and I expect she will advance a step higher. She is great, she represents the district right next to mine, TN-08. We got rid of our phony Blue LapDog because he retired rather than face the thumpin’, but I have been envious of my neighbors for having Marsha all this time. She has been not as visible as Bachmann, but very much in line with the Tea Party sentiment, even before it all got going.

Her most famous line probably was during the ObamaCare debate on the House floor, she said “freedom died a little bit more today”, when they passed it.

Brian1972 on November 5, 2010 at 3:12 PM

Thank you. The over reaction on this is embarrassing. This isn’t an all out attack on the tea party.
gophergirl on November 5, 2010 at 2:37 PM

If you think the elites are not on a full out attack on the Tea party and Palin you are not paying attention.

unseen on November 5, 2010 at 2:41 PM

I’m sure Gophergirl is paying attention, but the inside palace intrigue is a lot to deal with on the heels of supposed victory. We need to remind each other that we haven’t won or achieved anything yet. All we have are more Rs on a list and fewer Ds. We haven’t overturned O-Care, haven’t totally defeated Cap-n-Tax, haven’t defeated CardCheck, haven’t restored state autonomy in AZ, haven’t rolled back taxes, haven’t lowered speding one red cent. Nothing. All we’ve done is place a guy with a deep tan in front of a microphone to mouth what he thinks we want to hear. Boehner is now a position to stab us in the back and dash our expectations as never before. We all know he’s inclined to disappoint us, so the question is how much ground do we yield before we yammer? I say none. M.Bachmann is the real deal on conservatism, so letting him throw her aside is canary-in-the-coalmine stuff. He has to be put on notice, because regardless of 11/2/10, many of us will stay home in 2012. And the seeds for esprit de corps are being sowed right now in the ashes flicked from John Boehner’s butts. And those of us who contributed all those little checks to Bachmann, Alan West, Rand Paul, Chip Cravaack, Ron Johnson, John Kasich, etc, we will refuse to exhaust ourselves for squishes and co-opted get-alongs next time. Does the GOP really think we wont show up at their townhalls and ArlenSpector them into deadly embarrassment? Hah!

Western_Civ on November 5, 2010 at 3:13 PM

Why Not Bachmann? She’s a lighting Rod for the Media, and Boehner and the rest are going to need her, when the Liberal Media get their knives out to carve them up. Bachmann has a spine, and she can take the heat and deflect it from them the Lame Stream Media already has their spotlight on her….don’t think for a minute the Progressive’s propaganda arms aren’t swimming around trying to pick up a Republican scandal scent…sometimes I think we got left with the least media adept in the Republican party….Bachmann can play a Great Media Blocker -Deflector.

Dr Evil on November 5, 2010 at 3:13 PM

Yep, the GOP needs to keep it up and they will guarantee a third-party.

KickandSwimMom on November 5, 2010 at 2:56 PM

KickandSwimMom: I agree with Rush,the Tea Party will be part
of the GOP,not a third Party,besides its al
ready inter-mingled with some GOP’ers!:)

canopfor on November 5, 2010 at 3:14 PM

I don’t have a problem with it.

Don’t get me wrong… I think Michelle Bachman is fabulous. And if you need to send someone out to the cameras to poke somebody in the eye, she’s your gal. But I’m not up for an in-house catfight just now. We need to present ourselves as the grown-ups in the room. There’s too much serious work to be done to bother trifling with the pecking-order.

Murf76 on November 5, 2010 at 3:15 PM

Anyone Armey likes is suspect to me. That guy is a moron and a hack as far as I am concerned.

Grayson on November 5, 2010 at 3:15 PM

I personally think Bachmann should get it, but it looks like Jeb would be a good choice as well. I won’t break out the pitchforks, as long as he does a good job & Michelle & other Tea Partiers are given some measure of influence going forward.

Since Palin is mentioned in this post as well, I’m going to run the risk of “spamming” by repeating an earlier request:

If we get Meggie Mac on Palin, Noonan on Palin, etc., why not use HotAir to deliver Palin on “The Way Forward?”

I would love to see what Ed thinks about this piece, where it’s spot on and where he thinks it misses the mark.

What say you?

cs89 on November 5, 2010 at 3:16 PM

Grayson on November 5, 2010 at 3:15 PM

+100

Norwegian on November 5, 2010 at 3:17 PM

rockmom on November 5, 2010 at 3:07 PM

And THAT my friend is the problem……no one has heard him “speak”.

tencole on November 5, 2010 at 3:18 PM

maverick muse on November 5, 2010 at 3:06 PM

Strong stuff. Necessary, but strong. Let’s all stay friends and remember who’s trying to destroy this country.

Western_Civ on November 5, 2010 at 3:18 PM

Got a link for that?

rockmom on November 5, 2010 at 3:07 PM

rockmom, see DeDe’s Conservative Endorser.

Also note, Hensarling, and his buddy Pete Sessions, are again in hot water for denying NRCC support to the come from nowhere and victorious despite it all campaign of conservative Renee Ellmers over bob Ethridge down in NC. And now they are denying Ellmers support in her efforts to keep her victory from being overturned in a Al Franken style recount.

Conservative leaders don’t hang young conservative candidates out to dry…But Establishment GOP hacks do. The NRCC is a hack operation that does not reflect well on Hensarling to me, but probably means a lot to the Establishment guys who are backing him.

james23 on November 5, 2010 at 3:18 PM

How about Co Chair?

d1carter on November 5, 2010 at 3:18 PM

The TP, Bachmann and Palin are responsible for an historical and broader, deeper win than even the post Watergate blowout by the Dems (approx. 625 seats Fed & State went to Dems after Watergate; R’s just picked up approx. 680). And the GOP, once again snatching defeat from the jaws of victory think they are now going to shut out the only people who have the iron will to do whatever it takes to roll back obamacare? It’s going to take everything and the kitchen sink to pry obama’s fingers off of the one thing that, if left in place, will destroy this nation. I don’t think that Boehner, McConnell, Ryan, Cantor or any of their ilk have in their entire bodies the steely, almost insane determination that the obama has in his little pinky when it comes to defending obamacare, his Ring of Power. Michelle and Sarah know what it will take to defeat these monsters and have the strength to do it. The beta men of GOP leadership do not. Hence, we are in big trouble, after all of the blood, sweat and tears.

tigerlily on November 5, 2010 at 3:18 PM

So now we’re advocating EEO treatment for Tea Party candidates?

I believe this is a make-or-break crossroad for the GOP just like a lot of you do, but it seems pointless to micro-manage. Save your righteous anger for matters of principle, not preference.

Immolate on November 5, 2010 at 3:18 PM

I think she is more valuable leading the Tea Party caucus.

huckleberryfriend on November 5, 2010 at 3:09 PM

Oh….Is there one?????
Sounds like “second prize” to me, and Michele deserves better.

tencole on November 5, 2010 at 3:20 PM

Both Bachmann and Hensarling are strong conservatives. Full stop.

The difference lies in their styles – Bachmann is a bit of a bomb-thrower, pugnacious, and vocal. Hensarling, not so much. He’s more considerate in his actions and words, and is probably closer to the Mike Pence school of leadership (though Pence could toss a few verbal grenades, as well). Like it or not, the Tea Party is perceived by a sizable piece of the national voter base as somewhat coarse, appealing in philosophy as a whole, but somewhat defined by its crazier elements.

Bachmann loves to rumble, and it’s true that that might satisfy our collective desire to proverbially punch the hard Left in Congress right in the mouth. However, Hensarling gives us a much better chance to articulate a strong conservative platform that will win over the crucial center-Right independent bloc of voters that we will need for a governing majority in 2012 and beyond. Don’t confuse smart political leadership with kowtowing to the Left.

Flyover Country on November 5, 2010 at 3:20 PM

cs89 on November 5, 2010 at 3:16 PM

What liberals are trying to create from Twitter to call her a racist is apparently far more important to the future of the movement and the country.

Brian1972 on November 5, 2010 at 3:21 PM

Why does HA have such a bug up it’s a$$ about putting comments into moderation for the slightest reason, especially for members who have been here longer than anyone but AP? Grrrrr. We have a closed registration. If you’re worried used the ban hammer more and the moderation delay less! Grrr. Why waste my time? Really>

TheBigOldDog on November 5, 2010 at 3:21 PM

gophergirl on November 5, 2010 at 2:35 PM

I’m sure he’s qualified. However, the GOP didn’t have a message and didn’t have a direction. The election was driven by the Tea Party. The GOP went along for the ride.

Kini on November 5, 2010 at 3:21 PM

Bachman suffers from a problem she is helpless to correct and will probably forever hobble her chances for a party leadership position:

Insufficient mediocrity.

rrpjr on November 5, 2010 at 3:22 PM

Anyway, go to Youtube, search for his name and watch some of his videos especially about the Auto bailouts and the Paulson plan. He’s an impressive guy and definitely the right man for the job. You’ll see why in 20 seconds. I change my vote from unsure to Hensarling for certain.

TheBigOldDog on November 5, 2010 at 3:23 PM

Somebody help me: why shouldn’t I hold Hensarling’s NRCC “leadership” against him? And while you’re at it, tell me again what he did to keep Obama and the socialists at bay the last two years?

james23 on November 5, 2010 at 3:23 PM

unseen on November 5, 2010 at 3:07 PM
===============
Got a link for that?

rockmom on November 5, 2010 at 3:07 PM

rockmom:)
==========

On July 22, 2009, Scozzafava was chosen by the eleven Republican Party county chairs located in the 23rd Congressional district to be the Republican nominee for the special election to fill the seat in the United States Congress vacated by John M. McHugh, who resigned September 21, 2009, upon taking office as the Secretary of the Army.[11][4]

Many notable Republicans, including former Vice Presidential nominee Sarah Palin, Republican Governor Tim Pawlenty of Minnesota and former U.S. Senator Fred Thompson, endorsed Conservative Party candidate Doug Hoffman

canopfor on November 5, 2010 at 3:23 PM

Congressman Jeb Hensarling Speaks out against the Democrat federal health care bill .mp4

canopfor on November 5, 2010 at 3:26 PM

james23 on November 5, 2010 at 3:23 PM

When my comment clears moderation (too many links for HA I guess) you’ll have your answer.

TheBigOldDog on November 5, 2010 at 3:26 PM

Insufficient mediocrity.

rrpjr on November 5, 2010 at 3:22 PM

And may she forever stay that way!

tencole on November 5, 2010 at 3:26 PM

I don’t know what to think, part of me likes Bachmann and feels the Tea Party should be rewarded, but this Hensarling guy sounds like a solid Conservative and he voted against TARP which took a lot of guts, even if he was from a safe seat in Texas.

According to a look at his voting record from ontheissues.com, he looks solid, but only received a “C” rating from the Club for Growth. Not sure why, I can’t find a direct link.

Daemonocracy on November 5, 2010 at 3:27 PM

What I find missing from this debate on both sides is — a description of what exactly the job is. What does a House conference chair need to be able to do? Both candidates seem like good conservatives, but this isn’t a high school election, we shouldn’t be voting based on who’s most popular!

joe_doufu on November 5, 2010 at 3:27 PM

Pence, Hensarling Discussing Spending Limit Amendment on “Washington Journal”(4) – 3-3-2010

canopfor on November 5, 2010 at 3:28 PM

How about Co Chair?

d1carter on November 5, 2010 at 3:18 PM

Seems like a good idea to me. Conciliatory, two great minds, innovative power-sharing, and all that.

RushBaby on November 5, 2010 at 3:30 PM

We need one of our own at the table.

unseen on November 5, 2010 at 2:26 PM

I’m sorry, but what the hell are you smoking? The ONE guy who is pushing for real honest-to-God entitlement spending reform is a RINO now?!

I got into the tea party to cut entitlement spending, not to demonize the people who are actually trying to do something about the biggest portion of our debt.

Maybe if your candidates had won in Nevada and Delaware, we might be inclined to listen to you. But if you’re going to try to tell me Paul Freaking Ryan is a RINO now, I think we can safely ignore your opinions as inconsequential.

Caiwyn on November 5, 2010 at 3:30 PM

Hensarling Questions CEOs of GM, Ford and Chrysler

====================================

Hensarling Explains ‘No’ Vote on KDFW

canopfor on November 5, 2010 at 3:30 PM

I’m sure this was already linked, but Hensarling was great at the health care summit (or as Boehner called it, Obama’s seven-hour infomercial):

AmSpec: Hensarling Strikes Back

When I posted here Friday that President Obama’s demeanor was arrogant and his body-language offensive when he met with House Republicans, what I was reacting to more than anything else was the rather obnoxious way he responded to thoughtful, highly respected Rep. Jeb Hensarling. Repeatedly calling him “Jim” instead of “Jeb,” Obama cut him off and then basically called the congressman a liar. Well, Hensarling put the facts where his mouth was, and showed again that Obama’s reliability on facts is something less than admirable.

Missy on November 5, 2010 at 3:32 PM

Hey Ed, how about a ‘who cares’ option? I consider myself a tea-partier and could care less who chairs the Repub caucus. I don’t think this is a slight to tea-partiers even though I do love Bachmann’s politics and think she is a solid advocate for conservatives.

While I’m probably wrong, this feels like spilled milk and not anything to get my panties tied in a knot over.

matthew26 on November 5, 2010 at 3:32 PM

Texas GOP congressman Jeb Hensarling, a past chairman of the conservative Republican Study Committee, threw his support behind Scozzafava, who is facing a challenge from her right in Conservative Party nominee Doug Hoffman.

“I am supporting Dede Scozzafava in her campaign for Congress. I am backing the only Republican in this race who can win and don’t want to lose this seat to Nancy Pelosi for a generation,” Hensarling said in a statement.

Linked by james23: I think this should answer where Hensarling is at. Another Mike Castle RINO supporter.

Kini on November 5, 2010 at 3:33 PM

rrpjr on November 5, 2010 at 3:22 PM

That’s calumny. You have no basis for it. The woman is an absolute dynamo who got out in front for Constitutional Republicanism from day one of the Tea Party movement. It’s hard to believe you could have been paying attention for the past two years and still make a statement like that. Why do you think the Dems targeted Bachmann as their number one scalp for 2010? Why do you think they threw slick willy, obama and every other heavy hitter at her little district? Are you for real?

Western_Civ on November 5, 2010 at 3:33 PM

And THAT my friend is the problem……no one has heard him “speak”.

tencole on November 5, 2010 at 3:18 PM

I guess you don’t watch CNBC very much then. Larry Kudlow has him on all the time. He generally sticks to economic and budget issues. One reason he doesn’t do a lot of the general chat shows that Bachmann does is that the liberal hosts know he is isn’t a real firebreand who is going to give them any “red meat” comments. It doesn’t mean he isn’t conservative. He’s just more of a workhorse than a showhorse.

I appreciate Bachmann being willing to make a lightning rod of herself. We need people like her. But we also need people like Jeb Hensarling to create a coherent economic plan and message for the House Republicans going forward. I think he is far better suited for that job than Bachmann.

rockmom on November 5, 2010 at 3:33 PM

Kini on November 5, 2010 at 3:33 PM

Not to keep beating this dead horse, but Hensarling was right. We lost NY-23 and won’t get it back for a generation.

rockmom on November 5, 2010 at 3:34 PM

Caiwyn on November 5, 2010 at 3:30 PM

Wait a minute, which is it? You are or are not a tea party guy? Most tea party folks know that Ryan folded like a cheap suit in the bailout debates in late 08 and 09. Those are objective facts. I’ll give him plus for his entitlement plan, but he’s got some baggage. As a tea party guy, I’m sure you know that.

james23 on November 5, 2010 at 3:36 PM

matthew26 on November 5, 2010 at 3:32 PM

Keeping one’s ammo dry has never been a trait exhibited by the typical Hot Air inhabitant.

Immolate on November 5, 2010 at 3:36 PM

Got a link for that?

rockmom on November 5, 2010 at 3:07 PM

House Republicans may face a ‘civil war’ over Scozzafava bid
By Reid Wilson – 10/15/09 06:05 AM ET

The House GOP conference is bitterly divided over a centrist New York Republican’s run for the House seat vacated by Army Secretary John McHugh……..

….In an effort to prove Scozzafava can attract conservatives, Sessions pushed Rep. Jeb Hensarling (R-Texas) to step up and endorse her. After his announcement, Hensarling took shots from some prominent conservative blogs and media outlets, with some going so far as to lob unfounded charges about Hensarling’s personal life.

any questions? the guy followed the leadership/party instead of standing by his conservative cred. He showed he is a poser when the chips were down. anyone think he will stand up for conservative principles when the house leadership says no. I would like them to remember Stupak

unseen on November 5, 2010 at 3:36 PM

I say whoever wins it, wins it. My big problem is we never hear about people like Hensarling. Where are they when the battles are being fought? It just seems to me the GOP women are the ones out on front lines fighting the battles and I find it a bit embarrassing! The Republican women aren’t cheerleaders in this game, they are out on the field leveling the opposition. It seems the men with the skills are there, they just refuse to speak out and use them.

Africanus on November 5, 2010 at 3:38 PM

I don’t see the big deal with Bachman getting the job if for no other reason that someone, anyone on the leadership committee have the ability to express themselves with some emotion. I saw Cantor on TV opposite Shultz-What’shername and he looked like a kid being scolded by a first grade teacher. When she brought up the gut who had worn a NAZI uniform in a battle re-enactment he said he would not support him. What? How about anyone who wore a wrong costume at Halloween? Back to Bach. She is the only one of the group who has any passion and can speak without embarrassing herself. Boehner will make a great speaker but he is as wooden as a tree. Cantor should be a behind the scene guy and Hensarling may be as great as you that know him say he is but why can’t he be used in some other position that can take advantage of his constitutional knowledge?

inspectorudy on November 5, 2010 at 3:38 PM