Video: Reason TV’s Nanny of the Month

posted at 12:55 pm on November 4, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Thank goodness for Eric Mar! I wondered who would have the courage to end the plague of elementary school children driving to McDonalds and other fast-food joints to drop money for a food package with a toy in it. Obviously, these kids need a strong hand to guide them —

Wait, what was that? Elementary school kids can’t drive? Reason TV gives San Francisco Supervisor Eric Mar its Nanny of the Month award for presuming to tell parents that they cannot judge for themselves what to feed their children:

Last month the food police sued a North Carolina man for growing fresh vegetables, and this month San Francisco’s food cops have committed a different kind of atrocity by making the City by the Bay the first major metropolis to ban toys in happy meals.

This month’s top busybody is the pol who sponsored the ordinance to make happy meals sad, the one who hopes his “food justice” agenda goes nationwide.

Presenting the Nanny of the Month for October 2010: San Francisco Supervisor Eric Mar!

This is patently absurd. Will San Francisco outlaw PEZ dispensers next? No one is forced to buy Happy Meals. When parents decide that the meals no longer fit their needs, the restaurants will adjust accordingly. But this is even more ridiculous, because believe it or not, parents don’t buy them for the toys.  The junky toys are throwaways.  They buy the packaged meals for convenience and cost.

Hopefully, this will stay a San Francisco “thing,” but as Allahpundit wrote last night, it probably will spread to other nanny-state areas.  These politicos didn’t listen on Tuesday to the majority of voters who want government to focus on legitimate business and to keep their noses out of everything else.   Until places like Frisco and the Big Apple demand that government gets off their backs, Reason TV will have a never-ending stream of material for this series.

Comments

The San Francisco Board of Grinches should ban Christmas unless candy canes are replaced with bent asparagus spears.

Exurban Jon on November 4, 2010 at 1:00 PM

In San Fran they start with the toys but it won’t end until all fast food restaurants are serving salad and tofu. This is just the beginning saying it’s for the kids then they’ll move on to the adults.

Brat4life on November 4, 2010 at 1:00 PM

This ordinance obviously doesn’t go far enough. San Francisco needs to ban Cracker Jack, bubble gum with comics printed on the wrapper, and all breakfast cereals with toys in the box.

Socratease on November 4, 2010 at 1:01 PM

What if you charge one penny to optionally offer the purchase of a toy with each happy meal?

Then it’s no longer free.

I’m just thinking of ways to keeping the idiots in city hall running around in circles.

Shy Guy on November 4, 2010 at 1:01 PM

No Food Justice, No Piece of Pie.

SF is such a parody of itself that I’ll just sit back and call it Frisco.

Shivas Irons on November 4, 2010 at 1:02 PM

Speaking of regulations: Obama Tours Federal Regulations Plant

Mervis Winter on November 4, 2010 at 1:03 PM

You can already purchase the toys at McDonalds. I have done that a few times just go in and pay .99 cents for the toy and not order anything. So it is possible to do this unless this is part of the ban in San Fran.

Brat4life on November 4, 2010 at 1:04 PM

I’m entirely fed up with government at all levels exceeding it’s authority. What exactly give the city the authority to micromanage the items in happy meal – especially non-edible items that have nothing to do with the health dept?

I guess if municipalities can require a variance to put a shed in you own yard, or a historic board can tell you what color you have to paint the trim on your building, they can pretty much dictate anything.

It’s out of control.

forest on November 4, 2010 at 1:05 PM

We need to be suspicious when any Liberal, any Democrat attach the term “justice” to something.

Isn’t justice used by the Left to justify economic redistribution and health care redistribution? How long before we have food redistribution? Some Party official saying how many food rations you get for the month. Better hope you are not seen as an enemy.

Blue Collar Todd on November 4, 2010 at 1:06 PM

“You can market carrots!”

Sure, but jack legs like you won’t even let the farmers in the Central Valley grow them because of an “endangered” fish!

Brat on November 4, 2010 at 1:07 PM

There is always a way around the Dems attempt to control… cause they can only think about the first layer of affect.

I think of them as the Epidermis Party; or, one deep as a muddled puddle.

Shivas Irons on November 4, 2010 at 1:07 PM

I don’t know whether to cook chicken or beef tonight. We had beef last night and I’m not sure if it is healthy to have beef two nights in a row. I’ve called my city council member to ask what I should do. Waiting to hear back from him.

ramrants on November 4, 2010 at 1:07 PM

If you were a parent in San Francisco, wouldn’t you be offended?

kam582 on November 4, 2010 at 1:10 PM

Then it’s no longer free.

Shy Guy on November 4, 2010 at 1:01 PM

That’s a good idea, not really, but it will piss some people off so I like it.

The Expert Knows

HAExpert on November 4, 2010 at 1:11 PM

If you were a parent in San Francisco, wouldn’t you be offended?

kam582 on November 4, 2010 at 1:10 PM

Completely.

San Francisco just told all of it’s residents that they don’t know how to parent their own children.

Scrappy on November 4, 2010 at 1:12 PM

I like this. When cities pull this crap it makes them easy to identify as places for normal people to avoid, boycott, ignore, etc.

Let Cali produce yet another reason to run like hell away it, they can fester in their own obliviousness while the rest of the nation moves forward.

Bishop on November 4, 2010 at 1:14 PM

The San Francisco Board of Grinches should ban Christmas INCLUSIVE WINTER FESTIVAL WITH NO OTHER POSSIBLE SIGNIFICANCE EXCEPT TO REMIND US THAT EUROPEAN RELIGIOUS ZEALOTS BROUGHT OVER SMALLPOX-INFESTED BLANKETS TO KILL SUPERIOR NATIVE AMERICANS unless candy canes are replaced with bent asparagus spears.

Exurban Jon on November 4, 2010 at 1:00 PM

Fixed for SF

mankai on November 4, 2010 at 1:17 PM

Exurban Jon on November 4, 2010 at 1:00 PM

Negative, Ghostrider. Asparagus causes flatulence, which contributes to global warming. Liberals will never go for it.

Dukeboy01 on November 4, 2010 at 1:18 PM

I’m just waiting for my Californian conservative buddies to decide it’s bad enough that they want to move out of that socialist s**thole. The time to give up on California is NOW.

gryphon202 on November 4, 2010 at 1:19 PM

So what the heck does this Idiot In Desperate Need Of A Village Eric Mar have planned next, introducing veto-proof legislation requiring San Francisco police to stand guard and fully armed in the elementary school cafeterias to make sure the kids eat their vegetables?!!!!!

You know, people in San Francisco voted in lunatics like this freak Mar into their city council! Why in the world are they not standing in force in front of city hall demanding a recall of each and every one of these clowns, starting with Eric Mar?!!!!!

pilamaye on November 4, 2010 at 1:19 PM

At this point, with decades of nanny state socialism in California, I find myself with little sympathy for those who remain.

Rebar on November 4, 2010 at 1:20 PM

Maybe if they replaced the free toy for a free hypodermic needle?

That’s been a very popular program, brought to you by SF elected officials.

VastRightWingConspirator on November 4, 2010 at 1:21 PM

Now will be marketed as “Unhappy Meals” I suppose?!

atlgal on November 4, 2010 at 1:23 PM

Herb Caen wrote almost twenty years ago that San Francisco was in danger of losing any status as a city, only existing on as a “Theme Park” without any industry or means of production. Writing from Silicon Valley, I’d say SF is there…….And with Jerry Brown, Gavin, and all the rest soon in office here, the remainder of CA is soon to follow.

jfshaughnessy on November 4, 2010 at 1:25 PM

That last guy looks like he could use some carrots himself…ahem.

d1carter on November 4, 2010 at 1:26 PM

When Eric Mar ran for his Board of Supervisors seat, there were about 10 candidates on the ballot in that district. The San Francisco Republican Party, on its endorsements page for this district, simply said, “Anyone but Eric Mar.”

Emperor Norton on November 4, 2010 at 1:26 PM

I have four kids and I confess that we did buy the meals for the toys. And if my kids were still little I would continue to buy the meals for the toys.

Rose on November 4, 2010 at 1:26 PM

McDonalds should raise the price of its dollar menu to $5.00 and tell the rioting bums to get their food from the Board of Supervisors.

Caper29 on November 4, 2010 at 1:27 PM

Maybe McDonalds should offer to sell pot with the Happy Meals?

ctmom on November 4, 2010 at 1:27 PM

liberal or conservative!

jsunrise on November 4, 2010 at 1:28 PM

Greetings from San Francisco! (Well, I work here, anyway). The one-cent idea is great, but I’d make them free for the asking. By making the parent ask for the toy, it is no longer “included” with the meal. And with that SF has no case.

It already has no sense.

Heads up! Tomorrow is the sentencing day for the BART cop who shot Oscar Grant. The sentencing will take place in a court in LA, but the shooting took place here in the Bay Area. Oakland PD are already on tactical alert for the expected riots when the cop gets time served. The lefties are “demanding” billions of years in prison, and when he doesn’t get that, they’ll riot and loot downtown Oakland again. We’re all ready.

sdillard on November 4, 2010 at 1:28 PM

Well, obviously Mr. Creosote couldn’t live in the Bay area. (NWSF)

Tennman on November 4, 2010 at 1:28 PM

Are they still available in all of the neighboring cities? It’s like having dry counties in Texas. Just makes people drive (then drink) further to get booze.

txag92 on November 4, 2010 at 1:29 PM

gryphon202 on November 4, 2010 at 1:19 PM

Ain’t gonna happen. We may have to quarantine San Francisco (bye, Pelosi) and LA/Hollywood (bye, Waxman), but we California GOPers are a stubborn bunch. Ultimately, good defeats evil.

VastRightWingConspirator on November 4, 2010 at 1:29 PM

Sorry, lysdexia strikes again! (NSFW)

Tennman on November 4, 2010 at 1:29 PM

Maybe McDonalds should offer to sell pot with the Happy Meals?

ctmom on November 4, 2010 at 1:27 PM

Doobie cheeseburger

txag92 on November 4, 2010 at 1:30 PM

Rebar on November 4, 2010 at 1:20 PM

So Rebar, are you giving me permission to walk away from my under-water mortgage? I was thinking of staying until property values equilibrate and then making haste for Texas or TN. I just happened to think the honorable thing to do is stay here and fight in the meantime. Despite what you see in the recent elections, the Tea Party movement will change things significantly here by 2012…..We’ll get the next Governor recall right.

jfshaughnessy on November 4, 2010 at 1:32 PM

I’m surprised the comment has not been made that they are ‘A few fries short of, a Happy Meal.’

Jeff2161 on November 4, 2010 at 1:34 PM

Meanwhile, the water is still turned off in the central valley, they can’t grow food.

Kini on November 4, 2010 at 1:34 PM

I was in SF a month or so ago. The McDonalds on Market just past Montgomery always had lines that reached out to the sidewalk. Maybe the libs hate McDonalds but it sure doesn’t stop them from eating there….

jbh45 on November 4, 2010 at 1:34 PM

I doubt they would do it, but at this point, I would love to see McDonald’s announce they are no longer doing business in San Francisco and are closing all their stores, thus throwing who knows how many formerly employed illegal immigrants taking advantage of the Sanctuary City policy on the unemployment line.

Again, I doubt they would do it, but I would be luvin’ it if McDonald’s did!

pilamaye on November 4, 2010 at 1:36 PM

jfshaughnessy on November 4, 2010 at 1:32 PM

The direction of California was obvious decades ago, buying a house in that environment was an objectively bad move.

That said, I hope you can get out from under it and move to Texas, as I did after escaping the equally hellish Massachusetts.

Rebar on November 4, 2010 at 1:41 PM

Ahh, in a bankrupt state – SF chooses to lower their sales tax revenue…

Brilliant folks out there.

Odie1941 on November 4, 2010 at 1:42 PM

“Frisco”?

Dude, you never, ever call it “frisco”.

moochy on November 4, 2010 at 1:46 PM

Company CEOs need to grow a set of balls and reply to idiot like this with: “Fine, we’re removing our stores from your city. We have X number of employees who will now be seeking unemployment benefits. They also will no longer be paying Y dollars in taxes, and our company will no longer be paying Z dollars as well. Have a nice day!”

GarandFan on November 4, 2010 at 1:49 PM

Dude, you never, ever call it “frisco”.

moochy on November 4, 2010 at 1:46 PM

Indeed!

Rebar on November 4, 2010 at 1:53 PM

Food justice! What is food justice?

Dhuka on November 4, 2010 at 1:53 PM

Food Justice.

Really, you leftist Democrat trash out there, you should run on that in 2012. Sure the GOP just picked up 60 seats faster than the entire Army of Retard could whine, “Rush Limbaugh,” but imagine the 100 seats in return, with the catch phrase, “Give me food justice or give me death!”

It will work.

MNHawk on November 4, 2010 at 1:57 PM

parents don’t buy them for the toys

I’d almost pay extra for them not to put the toy in! Those junky things seem to reappear no matter how many times I throw them in the trash… Or maybe my kids really have been driving themselves to McDonalds…

taznar on November 4, 2010 at 1:59 PM

When my son was little, the draw to go to McDonalds was the Playland, not the Happy Meal toy. He could crawl through those tubes for hours. I guess they will ban that next.

mbs on November 4, 2010 at 2:06 PM

OF COURSE this type of nanny state behavior will go viral to other states. We already have it schools as it concerns school curriculum via Race to the Top and the adoption of common core standards.

It’s the same in the health care debacle and bailouts…it’s being instituted by CHOICE ARCHITECTS. These are the two words involved in all these takeovers. Various progressive groups are really driving these agendas. Read this piece on choice architects and how they are subtly and not so subtly shaping the culture in ways many Americans are not even aware:

To the phrase “choice architects”, I shoot back with “critical thinkers”.

manateespirit on November 4, 2010 at 2:07 PM

Until places like Frisco…

Heh, the quickest way to tick-off a San Francisco-ite is to call their city “Frisco”. lol

JetBoy on November 4, 2010 at 2:08 PM

Hot dogs at football and baseball games…they should try that…and no cracker jack.
Ban the 7th inning stretch song…

right2bright on November 4, 2010 at 2:09 PM

If parents are so stupid they can’t be trusted to make a decision on buying a Happy Meal if a toy is involved, how can parents be trusted to make any parenting decision? Under that worldview, where does it end?

mbs on November 4, 2010 at 2:09 PM

Ahh, in a bankrupt state – SF chooses to lower their sales tax revenue…

Brilliant folks out there.

Odie1941 on November 4, 2010 at 1:42 PM

Ha! Good one…

right2bright on November 4, 2010 at 2:10 PM

Ah, but California didn’t vote out the buttinskis and the statists; they still have Boxer, Stark, Lofgren, and a host of other nanny staters. They even have a new (sort of) star on their horizon – ole Moonbeam is back and dumber than ever!

College Prof on November 4, 2010 at 2:16 PM

“You can Market Carrots”… but only in San Fran do you get “fruits”.

Bob on November 4, 2010 at 2:27 PM

Dude, you never, ever call it “frisco”.

moochy on November 4, 2010 at 1:46 PM

???. I lived in S. Cal for 50 years and we always called San Francisco “frisco”, i.e.:

“Heading up 5 to frisco.”
“Pot’s cheaper in frisco.”
“Got the #&*!# crabs in frisco.”
“Scored some heavy acid in frisco.”
“I saw God in frisco. He was in a green florescent paisley jump suit and was floating in a pink cloud outside the broken window of my crash pad in the Haight. He had a blue dog. And looked like Grace Slick.”

Rod on November 4, 2010 at 2:40 PM

Oh, oh…I’m getting a little nervous about the Soylent Green possibilities. Those wack-jobs in SF certainly are some kind of crazy!

redwhiteblue on November 4, 2010 at 2:42 PM

Food justice! What is food justice?

Dhuka on November 4, 2010 at 1:53 PM

Unfortunately the contageon has already spread. Last year the Wyoming legislature passed a “food safety” bill requiring any food for “public” consumption to be prepared in a certified and inspected kitchen. There have been several charity pot-lucks, chili cook-offs, and Church bake sales shut down this year.

Here in Idaho, we’re threatening to quarentine the border..

Ace ODale on November 4, 2010 at 2:43 PM

If you believe, this is about “Children’s Health,” I have a beautiful rust-colored bridge for sale.. Cheap.

This Lunatic has a one-inch hard on for business, and a insatiable lust for power and control.

Just like every other Liberal

franksalterego on November 4, 2010 at 2:46 PM

I hate to be the one to point this out, but gay sex between men is the most dangerous form of sex when it comes to STI’s and HIV infection rates. Down with homosexuality! It’s for your health!

Isn’t HIV much worse than a kid eating french fries?

TheBlueSite on November 4, 2010 at 2:49 PM

When toys are outlawed, only outlaws will have toys.

percysunshine on November 4, 2010 at 2:54 PM

And you guys think AP plays ya hard with the chain yanking schtick. Ed shoots and scores (well, it is kind of a fish/barrel situation) by summoning the outrage that the government would DARE infringe upon liberty by making choices FOR people on a personal responsibility issue – from quite a lot of the same people who are just fine and skippy with the Government telling people they can’t (insert activity X that is reviled by SoCons).

Predictable hypocrisy. But, but, but! Whatever.

Wind Rider on November 4, 2010 at 3:01 PM

(insert activity X that is reviled by SoCons).

Predictable hypocrisy. But, but, but! Whatever.

Wind Rider on November 4, 2010 at 3:01 PM

Instead of making an ambiguous statement, why don’t you just list a few of those hypocritical things that get “SoCons” so riled up? Without them, your righteous indignation is just, well, hot air.

Rod on November 4, 2010 at 3:12 PM

Smoking crack is like getting a happy meal with a toy in it. We take that away, and kids are going to start trycicle jacking the neighborhood.

percysunshine on November 4, 2010 at 3:14 PM

All McDonald’s have to do is lower the price of a Happy Meal by say 10 cents. Then ask if the customer want to buy a toy for ten cents.

ChiTownPizza on November 4, 2010 at 3:17 PM

(insert activity X that is reviled by SoCons).

Predictable hypocrisy. But, but, but! Whatever.

Wind Rider on November 4, 2010 at 3:01 PM

Rod on November 4, 2010 at 3:12 PM

Well, there’s abortion and drugs, both of which pale in comparison to the danger posed by letting a kid have a toy.

malclave on November 4, 2010 at 3:19 PM

Shhhh…don’t tell them.

percysunshine on November 4, 2010 at 3:20 PM

If you don’t eat yer meat, you can’t have any pudding carrots! How can you have any pudding carrots if you don’t eat yer meat?

For now, the carrots are just a suggestion.
Wait ’til they start enforcing the carrots.

stevezilla on November 4, 2010 at 3:25 PM

malclave on November 4, 2010 at 3:19 PM

Speaking for myself I don’t care if you want to kill yourself (using the editorial “you”) with Happy Meals or heroin. It’s your life … have at it … or not.

However, I find it immoral and reprehensible to kill some one else because they’re inconvenient to your self-centered life … a life that I believe is not yours to have … or have not.

Rod on November 4, 2010 at 3:36 PM

To be a liberal is to live in fear that somewhere, someplace, someone is enjoying life. Including little children.

kurtzz3 on November 4, 2010 at 3:39 PM

Toys for kids = bad
marijuana = good.
Jerry Brown’s first two terms = terrible
Jerriatric Brown’s 3rd term, 40 years later = predictably awful

California is in serious trouble.

dthorny on November 4, 2010 at 3:48 PM

Can they offer happy meals where the toy is replaced with a condom?

digitalintrigue on November 4, 2010 at 3:50 PM

They should just change the name to “Humpy Meal” and then they would consider it a civil rights issue and require us all to buy one.

ronsfi on November 4, 2010 at 4:14 PM

WOW. This tool is really a WHOLE bunch of french fries short of a Value Meal. I dare him to take my Value Meal or any kids’ Happy Meal. Let’s just say there won’t be any crying over spilled ketchup.

San Francisco will a have libel suit that’ll get me and a whole lot of consumers Value Meals for the rest of our lives.

Chuck In Hawaii on November 4, 2010 at 4:27 PM

All the Board of Stupes has done is drive business across the county line into Daly City. If I had the money, I’d open a McD’s on Mission & Templeton, right on the city limits.

Notice, too, how the Stupes waited until the Giants won the Series and everyone was distracted. ;)

March Hare on November 4, 2010 at 4:33 PM

It’s a city ordinance, not a real law. Ignore it.

Key phrase: “Sue and be damned”

mojo on November 4, 2010 at 4:56 PM

Predictable hypocrisy. But, but, but! Whatever.

Wind Rider on November 4, 2010 at 3:01 PM

Whatever yourself. You don’t even name these supposed sins and just come off as way too condescending for a blog comment section.

If you’re talking about drugs, few people advocate legalizing everything, so clearly we’re merely disagreeing about where we’ll draw the line, not whether or not we’ll draw one. The same is true of most things social cons object to, but that kind of nuance is apparently beneath you.

Esthier on November 4, 2010 at 5:07 PM

More proof that Liberals can’t stand to see anyone happy!!!

In San Francisco, McDonalds can reliably and predictably reverse this: all they have to do is to make sure all of the toys are Obama and/or Jerry Brown action figures…

landlines on November 4, 2010 at 6:23 PM

McDonalds should immediately shut down every one of their stores in the city. They have the resources to cover it, and I’ll bet the outcry would be so loud as to force the SF council fascists to back down. Are you listening McDonalds? You need to boycott San Francisco now rather than die a death by a thousand cuts!

gajaw999 on November 5, 2010 at 8:53 AM

So … do they ban Cracker Jacks because of the candy-coated popcorn and the prize?

njcommuter on November 5, 2010 at 11:12 PM