Obamateurism of the Day

posted at 8:05 am on November 4, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Perhaps Barack Obama should have waited a day or so to hold a post-midterm press conference, or at least a few more hours to prepare for one.  The press actually played for keeps after watching the historic rebuke delivered by voters the previous day; no one asked what Obama found the most enchanting about the experience.  Anyone could have predicted that at least one reporter would ask whether Obama considered the results a rejection of his economic policies — polling showed the economy and jobs at the top of the list of issues for midterm voters — and presumably the White House prepared for it.

Well, if they did, they didn’t do nearly enough prep work (transcript by Andrew Malcolm):

Q: Would you still resist the notion that voters rejected the policy choices you made?

THE PRESIDENT: Well, Savannah, I think that what I think is absolutely true is voters are not satisfied with the outcomes. If right now we had 5 percent unemployment instead of 9.6 percent unemployment, then people would have more confidence in those policy choices.

Er, what? If his policies had worked — in other words, actually created the environment for economic growth and job creation — then yes, people would have confidence in them. Therefore, why don’t people have confidence in these policies? Because they haven’t worked, QED. Obama didn’t have an answer; the best he can offer is a platitude of such obvious circularity that only the media seemed to buy it.

But are people being unfair? Let’s recall the original economic projection from the Obama White House on unemployment and economic stimulus, promulgated by Christine Romer and her team in January 2009. With a $775 billion stimulus structured mainly in public works and some tax breaks, the Obama administration estimated that joblessness would peak in 2009 Q3 at 8%.  Without Porkulus, it would peak at 9% and plateau through 2010 Q3.  What actually happened?

Now economists predict only a 2.4% GDP growth rate in 2011, meaning we’ll be above 9% unemployment until at least 2012 Q1, when Obama predicted we’d be below 7% as a worst-case scenario.  And he wonders why people don’t have confidence in his policies?

Actually, scratch that.  The media wonders.  Obama shows that he understands it exactly.

Got an  Obamateurism of the Day? If you see a foul-up by Barack Obama, e-mail it to me at obamaisms@edmorrissey.com with the quote and the link to the  Obamateurism. I’ll post the best Obamateurisms on a daily basis, depending on how many I receive. Include a link to your blog, and I’ll give some link love as well. And unlike Slate, I promise to end the feature when Barack Obama leaves office.

Illustrations by Chris Muir of Day by Day. Be sure to read the adventures of Sam, Zed, Damon, and Jan every day!

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

*morning shocked face*

ted c on November 4, 2010 at 8:07 AM

We, the people, are quite confident that President Funny Name is a Marxist.

pugwriter on November 4, 2010 at 8:10 AM

The Media Creation is quizzed by the Media that created him….what have you learned? Don’t they usually fill in that blank for him?

Dr Evil on November 4, 2010 at 8:11 AM

Now, now. Obama policies are perfect…just that they were implemented in the wrong country.

Electrongod on November 4, 2010 at 8:13 AM

When does this clown leave for malaysia?

From the voters…PLEASE stay there.

lukespapa on November 4, 2010 at 8:13 AM

He definitely needs more

GOLF and more VACATIONS!!

PappyD61 on November 4, 2010 at 8:13 AM

The Media built him up, now the Media will tear him down…..or is this just kabuki? You know they all have to pretend like they are real journalist again or something, because the American People REJECTED the Main Stream Media’s VISION for this country.

Not NO but He11 NO.

Dr Evil on November 4, 2010 at 8:14 AM

and they say Palin is stupid? I think that I think? what a tool.

Dr_Irish on November 4, 2010 at 8:15 AM

At least Obama acknowledged that “ULTIMATELY I’LL BE JUDGED ON THE BOTTOM LINE”.

But what a weenie onset. Pedestal! How many qualifiers in a row? I think. I think that what I think. I think that what I think is…that…

I think that what I think is absolutely true

…and “I am not an ideologue” as well, Bomaa through the looking glass missing teleprompter.

maverick muse on November 4, 2010 at 8:15 AM

Perhaps he thinks we’d be happier with pain pills instead of jobs.

backwoods conservative on November 4, 2010 at 8:16 AM

…I think that what I think is absolutely true is…

Huh?

MikeA on November 4, 2010 at 8:17 AM

How interesting that now you’re willing to listen to Republican ideas. That wasn’t’ the case six months ago. I hope the first idea they bring to you is the repeal of Øbamacare. Let’s see how that flies.

Kafir on November 4, 2010 at 8:17 AM

Zero does, inadvertently, actually tell the truth. These nuggets pop out of his mouth during moments when totus is turned off. He’s just not a very good on the spot liar.

Kissmygrits on November 4, 2010 at 8:18 AM

we’ll be above 9% unemployment until at least 2012 Q1,

and likely much longer than that, which is why Barry won’t be re-elected.

AZCoyote on November 4, 2010 at 8:18 AM

I’ll bet our Intellectual-in-Chief was muttering Et tu, Brute to himself as his former media lapdogs started yapping and even occasionally nipping the hand that led them.

Drained Brain on November 4, 2010 at 8:18 AM

We, the people, are quite confident that President Funny Name…

Millard Fillmore or Chester A. Arthur?

maverick muse on November 4, 2010 at 8:19 AM

OBAMA: I failed.

PRESS: Lalalalala….I can’t hear you…..lalalala.

Dee2008 on November 4, 2010 at 8:19 AM

I watched the entire news conference. I thought the press was appropriately aggressive and I thought Obama handled himself pretty well, under the circumstances dealt him. Did the whole thing without TOTUS, even.

Ummm…am I going soft?

S. Weasel on November 4, 2010 at 8:20 AM

wow, i’m sorry i missed the presser

cmsinaz on November 4, 2010 at 8:21 AM

Yes, Mr. President. We don’t support failing policies and we especially don’t support whingy Presidents who think it’s our fault for not appreciating how awesome those failed strategies are.

powerpro on November 4, 2010 at 8:22 AM

i expect nothing less from them

cmsinaz on November 4, 2010 at 8:22 AM

The voters just haven’t liked the “outcome” of the President’s policies. Great answer, Dude.

myrenovations on November 4, 2010 at 8:23 AM

We, the people, are quite confident that President Funny Name

Millard Fillmore or Chester A. Arthur?

maverick muse on November 4, 2010 at 8:19 AM

pugwriter on November 4, 2010 at 8:24 AM

Wall Street’s shot up with profits with the announcement of the GOP House Majority and GOP gains in the Senate, with Governors, and in local state elections.

Given Obama’s trickle up poverty at work, it seems that the progressive Republican trickle down economy affect gets neutralized; so we stay stuck where we are, as if no worse is better as Obamarx Media will spin.

It’s the traditional American season for thanksgiving and sharing, and where is the media on the homeless especially with winter set in? Corrupt bastards.

maverick muse on November 4, 2010 at 8:24 AM

pugwriter on November 4, 2010 at 8:24 AM

?

maverick muse on November 4, 2010 at 8:25 AM

Ummm…am I going soft?

S. Weasel on November 4, 2010 at 8:20 AM

No, but I don’t think any of us will ever hold a pity party for this man.

The resounding attack theme from the press was to make Bush apologize. It would be nice if the press kept up the pressure on Obama to admit that he got slapped because he was WRONG on all issues. Will never happen but I like the idea of the pressure looming over him as he runs around the country and campaigns for a second term.

sherry on November 4, 2010 at 8:26 AM

His policies worked, it’s just that the people didn’t.

tinkerthinker on November 4, 2010 at 8:28 AM

The network media will be rejected just as the political establishment is being rejected. Amazing what personal suffering will do the the average human. The old Liberal policies of smoke and mirrors that have made the average Liberal minded American “feel good” about a cause gets flushed down the toilet when that American is so riddled in financial uncertainty & fear of the future, that even the Liberal minded human calls bullshit for what it is.

The MSM has lied to the American people and will suffer the consequences for such an epic failure. As is the case with any successful business, the business must take stock of inventory on a regular basis and get rid of bad product. The American people have been a successful business for over two centuries, and will get rid of bad product; this has been proven over and over throughout our history. George Soros is a bad product. Chris Matthews is a bad product. Nancy Pelosi is a bad product. Both Obama’s are a bad product.

Keemo on November 4, 2010 at 8:28 AM

Finally, a break thru with that on the job training we voted for. Back to work Newby-in-chief. And, Nice phone conversation with Move On last night, idiot.

texriot on November 4, 2010 at 8:30 AM

Really? That is not even a good solid B Plus. That is like an F.

antisocial on November 4, 2010 at 8:31 AM

pugwriter on November 4, 2010 at 8:24 AM

?

maverick muse on November 4, 2010 at 8:25 AM

Okay, the link didn’t work. Back in ’08 Obama told a group of Jewish voters not to judge him by his “funny name.”

pugwriter on November 4, 2010 at 8:31 AM

OT: When Obama goes to India is he planning on just a visit or is he invading the country? 40 planes, loads of people and now this…

WTF?

milwife88 on November 4, 2010 at 8:33 AM

S. Weasel

Just, please — I’m begging you — no Huckabee. Okay?

Couldn’t agree with you more.

The Tea Party has congealed on the traditional Libertarian-Republican Goldwater foundation. FISCAL and Constitutional Conservancy does not require government to dictate social norms, but prevents government from taxing to provide federal social “entitlements”. Now that’s another socialist twisted word, “entitlement” as if the Constitution guarantees provisions for federal mandates, free or not, food, medical treatment, housing and education to anyone, poor or not, citizen or not.

The Huckster is one of many progressive opportunists, but flaunts Christian Values the loudest as if he has a monopoly of Jesus and we all must come to Huckster for Christ. Pfff

maverick muse on November 4, 2010 at 8:35 AM

milwife88 on November 4, 2010 at 8:33 AM

This is Obama spreading the wealth.

maverick muse on November 4, 2010 at 8:36 AM

This is Obama spreading the wealth. Bullshizzat.

maverick muse on November 4, 2010 at 8:36 AM

free!

ted c on November 4, 2010 at 8:39 AM

milwife88 on November 4, 2010 at 8:33 AM

Maybe he’s buying the country. Millions and millions of new voters.

Mr. and Mrs. Luxury like living off other people’s money.

sherry on November 4, 2010 at 8:40 AM

We need a thread specifically devoted to deconstructing that despicable press conference yesterday.

I picked up at least 10 comments he made that exposed him as completely unfit for the job. The most glaring example was his response to the last question referring to the appearance that he does not feel our pain. What he said was that we just don’t see what he does behind closed doors and the office of president makes it too hard to express those feelings.

My response was two fold…..first, it is his attitude in front of the cameras that exposes who he really is. He refers to Americans as NAZI’s, racists, ignorant, violent, and his enemies. Second, Reagan was more tan capable of expressing his love and concern for Americans.

I would like to know what other insights into Obama’s true nature did other HA readers else see….

csdeven on November 4, 2010 at 8:41 AM

antisocial

That’s Bomaa’s Clintonesque “depends on what is is” effort.

Anyway, it can be taken either way because it’s true that voters are completely unsatisfied with the outcomes of his presidency, of his agenda, of his translation of “what we can believe in” though actions that speak louder than his words.

But Bomaa’s such a damned prick, his elitist brain is so densely dull, HE JUST DOESN’T GET IT, being completely out of touch with American reality. He seems to actually believe that he just hasn’t TAUGHT US well enough, yet; and all he needs to do is keep regurgitating his Marxist sh!t and we’ll come eat it from his hand. All in good time. Sick.

Long overdue, Obama eating his own antipathy sandwich with a side order of his hate chips for lunch. Like eating crow, or eating his hat which he doesn’t wear.

maverick muse on November 4, 2010 at 8:43 AM

“I think that what I think is”, ahhh, our Great-Orator-in-Chief strikes again!!!

After that ridiculous ramble, I say, “If wishes were horses, we’d all have a ride.” He skipped logic 101 methinks.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on November 4, 2010 at 8:46 AM

free!

ted c on November 4, 2010 at 8:39 AM

LOL, remember him ordering a burger with his Biden entourage, proving how “real” they wanted to be? Was it the mustard or the KerryHeinz ketchup he wanted withheld? That the cashier had to ASK Obama to pay wasn’t bad enough. Obama demanded cash back, incapable of leaving a tip for the inconvenience of Secret Service keeping out the lunchtime customers.

maverick muse on November 4, 2010 at 8:47 AM

Well, he ate the Marxist sh!t that his mother, father, surrogate poet father, et al, regurgitated, didn’t he? So, naturally, he thinks the rest of us just need the same force feeding.

Disturb the Universe on November 4, 2010 at 8:47 AM

He skipped logic 101 methinks.

-Aslan’s Girl

If wishes were horses!

maverick muse on November 4, 2010 at 8:48 AM

Obama really, really, really doesn’t want to commit to triangulation yet, because that would be a direct insult and challenge to his liberal base. So he has to play the, “if only our plans had worked everything would be wonderful.” He’s going to spend the next 60-plus days trying to get someone to cone up with a strategy where he either successfully can Alinsky the new House Republican majority and/or comes up with a wink-and-a-nod fake triangulation effort, where he just pretends to move to the middle and the liberal special interest groups know he’s just faking it and don’t cause any real problems.

jon1979 on November 4, 2010 at 8:50 AM

he thinks the rest of us just need the same force feeding.

Disturb the Universe on November 4, 2010 at 8:47 AM

You’re right about Bomaa just luvin’ handing out mandate after mandate, and permission slips for his bff to abstain from compliance. Force feeding for us, but not for them.

I doubt, though, that Obama was “force fed” Marxism. He relishes it too thoroughly, and always has. There is no element of restraint on his part, and never has been. Marxism was served to Obama on a silver platter, and he adores it for making EVERYTHING possible for him. India, anyone? Get aboard and fly the friendly Obama loves being the imaginary Weltkaiser skies on one of many Air Force One model flights.

maverick muse on November 4, 2010 at 8:54 AM

Wait a minute. So Obama was saying A) My policies are correct; B) That the results don’t show my policies are correct, and the people have no faith in those policies; C) If the results from my policies were positive the people would have faith in them, D) But, my policies are correct. Does anyone else see the error in the logic? And this guy is called smart?

EliTheBean on November 4, 2010 at 8:54 AM

jon1979

Obama doesn’t have the skills required to triangulate. He only knows how to demand what he wants while ignoring the reality of both the Constitution and the Voice of the People.

Obama couldn’t triangulate if he tried. But try he must. Obama FEARS triangulation. His worst nightmare is “the bottom line” that he dreads, knowing his judgment as a failure and fraud as POTUS is inevitable.

maverick muse on November 4, 2010 at 8:58 AM

I don’t actually know what I think, or what is actually true, and I haven’t been told what I should think yet because nobody I know knows what to think, but I might think that maybe I think what is possibly actually true is…

pappy on November 4, 2010 at 8:58 AM

EliTheBean on November 4, 2010 at 8:54 AM

Both Obama and Reid made it perfectly clear yesterday that they are not willing to move off their agenda. I think these people owe very powerful people, the kind of people who make people disappear. Reid owes the unions hundreds of millions of payback for bringing him this election in Nevada. I honestly believe that we have a potus and a Senate leader who are not the ones making decisions for Americans. Investigations and discovery will be sooo very interesting.

Keemo on November 4, 2010 at 9:01 AM

And this guy is called smart?

EliTheBean

Proving the adage, consider the source.

We know WHO has been calling Obama smart, smooth, eloquent, brilliant, blah blah blah. The authoritarian machine that encompasses “progressives”; the DNC, MSM, Soros, RINOs, et al.

maverick muse on November 4, 2010 at 9:01 AM

I am one proud enemy of Obama policies. He made it clear that since I am against socialism I am his and his followers enemy. Imagine a President declaring at least 50% of Americans as enemys ….oh wait

IowaWoman on November 4, 2010 at 9:01 AM

Keemo on November 4, 2010 at 9:01 AM

Likely so.

AS IF the nincompoop perverting the Office of the POTUS can produce anything beyond his bowel movements.

maverick muse on November 4, 2010 at 9:04 AM

You were judged Bambi, on Nov. 2nd. You failed.

ctmom on November 4, 2010 at 9:06 AM

And if frogs had wings they wouldn’t bump their Obamas every time they jumped. And if your aunt had b@lls she’d be your uncle. And…

And this idiot in chief is taking 40 planes, a fleet of warships, 7 limos, two Marine Corp Ones, and about a bazillion staff to say “Hi” to the fine folks in India. America can not afford this much concentrated stupid.

Crusader Rabbit on November 4, 2010 at 9:12 AM

I don’t know Mr. Morrissey, there were a lot of “how do you feel questions for Obama from these keepers of the truth. You just knew they wished they could make it all better for him.

Cindy Munford on November 4, 2010 at 9:13 AM

Seriously can’t believe this POS has the guts to admit nothing he’s done has worked, but still continue to blame the GOP.
And nothing from the big media on this?
It should be front pg news.

Badger40 on November 4, 2010 at 9:13 AM

I laughed a bit when Tapper asked a variation of the adoring “What does it feel like to be you?” question.

It feels bad.

Because it still matters to the press how Obama “feels”. *eyeroll*

Fallon on November 4, 2010 at 9:14 AM

You just knew they wished they could make it all better for him.
Cindy Munford on November 4, 2010 at 9:13 AM

Bingo.

Fallon on November 4, 2010 at 9:15 AM

He simply repeated everything he’s been saying before the election.

I saw nothing different. Pelosi did the same thing.

It’s their story. They are sticking to it.

AnninCA on November 4, 2010 at 9:15 AM

Wow. This from TEH MOSTEST BRILLIANTEST SPEAKER EVAH!!!!

crazy_legs on November 4, 2010 at 9:16 AM

maverick:

Obama’s they guy in the mob who runs out, throws a Molotov cocktail at police and runs back in again before he can be identified. He’s brave about attacking others, but only when he’s got a ton of others covering his back. Triangulation means deliberately going out and ticking off your hard-core, true-believer supporters by telling them you care more about re-election than you do “The Cause”, and that’s where he’s scared shirtless right now.

He’s never been out on his own politically other than to vote ‘present’ on key issues, but he was given a pass by the left because they knew he couldn’t get elected to higher office if people knew his true views. But you can’t do that as president, and so while I fully expect 8-10 months of phony triangulation (with the big media outlets helping out the scam) even Clinton eventually had to give in and sign welfare reform. Barack is going to have to do the same sometime before 2012 because he can’t just spend the next 24 months saying he’s moved to the middle without doing something to prove it to swing voters. And that’s just not going to fly with the True Believers on the left, who Obama fears alienating more than anyone else.

jon1979 on November 4, 2010 at 9:18 AM

I put that phrase into my “Obama-to-English translater and it came up:

“And I would have gotten away with it too, if it weren’t for you meddling kids!”

VelvetElvis on November 4, 2010 at 9:22 AM

But what happened to “Captain Kickass”?????????? Boot on the throat, etc?

search4truth on November 4, 2010 at 9:24 AM

I think Obama gets it, and I think he gets satisfaction from the turmoil and rage that he causes.

mobydutch on November 4, 2010 at 9:24 AM

When is the smartest man in the world leaving town? I’m sick of him.

Cindy Munford on November 4, 2010 at 9:30 AM

He simply repeated everything he’s been saying before the election.

I saw nothing different. Pelosi did the same thing.

It’s their story. They are sticking to it.

AnninCA on November 4, 2010 at 9:15 AM

I want the video of Pelosi’s bony fingers clinging to the nose wheel of that military jet she used to ride for free. Throw in a clip of MP’s beating on her with batons and I’ll pay extra.

Extrafishy on November 4, 2010 at 9:35 AM

When is the smartest man in the world leaving town? I’m sick of him.

Cindy Munford on November 4, 2010 at 9:30 AM
He is truly the most ruthless and immature excuse for a president.

mobydutch on November 4, 2010 at 9:36 AM

“If right now we had 5 percent unemployment instead of 9.6 percent unemployment, then people would have more confidence in those policy choices.”

???????????????????????…

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!…

WTF! $^%*&#$% AMATEUR!!!!

Yoop on November 4, 2010 at 9:41 AM

Ed needs to write an article excoriating the lefts fear mongering concerning the Tea Party movement. After two years of calling us NAZI’s, racists, violent, etc, there was no armed uprising, we elected 2 black representatives, three minority women to governorships, etc.

Someone with a national forum needs to write that article so those who bought into that meme will take a closer look at the tenets of the movement.

csdeven on November 4, 2010 at 9:43 AM

csdeven on November 4, 2010 at 9:43 AM

there is an aricle in WAPO indicating this new gop is less diverse…

cmsinaz on November 4, 2010 at 9:48 AM

My ideas and policies were perfect … the execution of them outside of government was fatally flawed because this is a country populated with ignorant boobs.

ya2daup on November 4, 2010 at 9:49 AM

…I think that what I think is absolutely true is…
Huh?

MikeA on November 4, 2010 at 8:17 AM

I’m gonna see your “Huh?” and raise it with a WHAT????? lol

I’m glad I’m not the only one that didn’t see a lick of sense in that statement. LOL

capejasmine on November 4, 2010 at 9:51 AM

OT, but speaking of governorships…s.

The AP has withdrawn their call of Malloy as the winner in CT.

Surprise, surprise, it was based on the call of the Dem SoS, the one who started out running for governor, and then changed to running for AG when Blumy announced for the Senate, and then was kicked out of that race for not having the required credentials…

Malloy may still win, but at least we should have it called AFTER all the votes are in.

LibraryGryffon on November 4, 2010 at 9:56 AM

I’m gonna see your “Huh?” and raise it with a WHAT????? lol

capejasmine on November 4, 2010 at 9:51 AM

I’ll see your raise and go ALL IN with a STACK OF “WTF!” and a “DYING FROM LAUGHING” CHIP.

Yoop on November 4, 2010 at 9:59 AM

Obama: “The outcomes have simply not cooperated with my policies. In other words, they are obstructionist outcomes. They are the Outcomes of No, and everyone should see that they are racists and financed by secret, foreign money channeled by Karl Rove, Ed Gillespie, and Fox News. Next question.”

BuckeyeSam on November 4, 2010 at 10:00 AM

Unbelievable! Obama’s on television now saying that they will root out waste in government, make agencies more efficient, and put people back to work. The voters don’t like how Washington works and they have to make it work better.

He’s having a meeting with old and new leadership after he gets back from his tour of the far east. Middle class tax cuts extended – no mention of the other tax cuts again. Same old, same old.

Back onto his business stimulus baloney. And wants the START Treaty okayed in the lame duck. Ugh.

Greyledge Gal on November 4, 2010 at 10:00 AM

His policies are doing exactly what he intended them to do… Redistribute our wealth.

CCRWM on November 4, 2010 at 10:02 AM

Obama: Two Days Later, He’s Still More Deaf Than Beethoven.

kingsjester on November 4, 2010 at 10:04 AM

***

Greyledge Gal on November 4, 2010 at 10:00 AM

Obama: “We have a lot of work to do to improve things in Washington. But right now, I need to leave Washington to get out while there’s so much heat on me.”

If you saw Spielberg’s/Hanks’s Band of Brothers, Obama is Lt. Norman Dyche.

BuckeyeSam on November 4, 2010 at 10:11 AM

there is an aricle in WAPO indicating this new gop is less diverse…

cmsinaz on November 4, 2010 at 9:48 AM

Of course there is.

Cindy Munford on November 4, 2010 at 10:17 AM

I think that what I think is absolutely true

Narcissist translation = of course I’m right it’s all you bitter, religious, gun clinging, unwashed, racists who are wrong.

Alden Pyle on November 4, 2010 at 10:18 AM

This is him trying harder to get his message across, because if we had understood his policies better, all those dems would have been elected.

/s

scalleywag on November 4, 2010 at 10:19 AM

Imagine your kid saying, “About the D I got in math this quarter. . . see if I’d gotten A’s on more of my tests and homework packets my teacher would have had a more positive attitude toward my work, and she would have giving me a better grade.” Would he or she have actually finished that sentence in your presence? Uuuuuh, no. “Johnny, or Suzie! Cut the crap. You got a D BECAUSE you didn’t get A’s on your tests and homework packets–you got D’s on them! What are you handing me here?” I guess we must have the Dr. Spock press corps that doesn’t want to hurt the self esteem of the smartest president ever.

smellthecoffee on November 4, 2010 at 10:27 AM

Well Savanah, if my Aunt had man parts instead of lady parts, then she would be my Uncle.

And my Uncle would be a really great guy. So why don’t you like my Aunt?

barnone on November 4, 2010 at 10:30 AM

Barry ain’t got a clue.

GarandFan on November 4, 2010 at 10:30 AM

there is an aricle in WAPO indicating this new gop is less diverse…

cmsinaz on November 4, 2010 at 9:48 AM

Didn’t read the article but let me guess. No black senators. Right?

Oldnuke on November 4, 2010 at 10:45 AM

My favorite thing was when he said Reagan and Clinton had stood in the same spot after getting hammered in their first midterm election.

I lived through both of those, (and worked in Reagan’s administration) and they weren’t even close to this one. The 1982 midterms were about what had been expected and not far off the norm. Democrats already held the House and many of them voted for Reagan’s economic plan. And neither Reagan nor Clinton went around the country calling their opponents “enemies” and whining about money being spent or throwing race cards aor any of the other kind of beaneath-the-office junk we saw from Obama.

And the economy that Reagan inherited was as bad, and worse in many ways, than the economy Obama inherited. But Reagan never mentioned “who drove us into the ditch” he just set about getting us out of it.

rockmom on November 4, 2010 at 10:58 AM

Er, who’s counting numbers, right? Teh Won only needs more poetic message, and more frequently, too.

Yeah, that’s the ticket.

Sir Napsalot on November 4, 2010 at 11:06 AM

Give the little guy a gold star, for that keep insight.

MNHawk on November 4, 2010 at 11:13 AM

Let’s not forget, one of the first things President Jackass did taking office was to terminate the $14m school scholarship program in DC which allowed poor DC children to attend the same schools that his little darlings do and escape the failed DC system.

Now he is okay with spending $200m a day on a working vacation to India with an entourage/posse that shames anyone in Hollywood.

Jackass.

slickwillie2001 on November 4, 2010 at 11:14 AM

keen…DOH

MNHawk on November 4, 2010 at 11:14 AM

I think that what I think is absolutely true

Nuff said….

sicoit on November 4, 2010 at 11:20 AM

The follow up question should have been…

“Why do you think the outcome of your policy choices is so bad?”

No one will ever ask it, but I would be interested in hearing why he thinks things are worse now that before he/they implemented the policies that we know made things worse.

Jvette on November 4, 2010 at 11:24 AM

Gee, you’d think with three months of increasingly bad polling the Champ would have prepared a little better for the eventuality of what happened yesterday. However, on closer analysis, such a thought would necessarily be based on an assumption of competence on Mr. Obama’s part.

And you know what they say about assumptions.

martin.hale on November 4, 2010 at 11:51 AM

there is an aricle in WAPO indicating this new gop is less diverse…

cmsinaz on November 4, 2010 at 9:48 AM

Intellectually bankrupt idiots.

csdeven on November 4, 2010 at 12:00 PM

Drained Brain on November 4, 2010 at 8:18 AM

And just imagine what a mood Michelle is in now! Probably stomping around the White House, furious at America.

And that “proud of America for the first time” thing – where she’s proud of America only when her husband is being elected – well, today she’s probably back to being plenty non-proud of America.

I sure wouldn’t want to have to be around her in the White House right now.

Alana on November 4, 2010 at 12:04 PM

“No party has a monopoly on wisdom. I want to engage both Democrats and Republicans. … I do believe there is hope for civility. I do believe there’s hope for progress.”

This, from the least civil president ever.

He thinks we don’t remember that stuff about how he just wanted the Republicans to keep quiet? All those times he told us the Republicans should just keep their mouths shut? And something about a broom, I forget what . . .

And getting in the back of the vehicle, etc.

I didn’t watch much of this speech, but there was a lot of “ifs”. As in, “if” the Republicans have any ideas, he’d be happy to hear them.

Well, there’s no “if” about it. The congressmen were waving their own bills, full of their own ideas, on TV while Obama spoke, because he kept telling America that the Republicans didn’t have ANY IDEAS AT ALL.

Because – he’s a flat-out chronic liar. For almost two years now, Obama has gone out of his way to make it clear that he doesn’t want to hear from Republicans at all.

He thinks we forget all that? He thinks he can say one thing for over a year, then turn around and pretend he’s willing to engage “both Democrats and Republicans?”

He thinks he can create the narrative that the Republicans never had a thought of their own. And that if they *might* ever have any sort of contribution at all, then he would, of course, engage with them.

He thinks we buy that line of total crapola?

Disgusting.

Alana on November 4, 2010 at 12:20 PM

Perhaps his excellency and his court should spend that TWO BILLION on the U.S. economy rather than B-Ho’s Most Excellent Indian Vacation…..

BigAlSouth on November 4, 2010 at 12:45 PM

H*ll! I could have fixed this economy. There would have been no autopsies and soul searching. It would have been done almost immediately and I would have freed up my time to address other problems. Any one of us here at HA could have done it. This isn’t rocket science, yet we have wasted time, money, and effort for nothing. Two years later we are in a worse position that we were in 2008. Two years of stupid policy and theft of our treasure. Obama has been papering over his inadequecies and we told him so on Tuesday. Still he doesn’t get the message. He keeps spending our money. Go away and stay away!

BetseyRoss on November 4, 2010 at 1:05 PM

He compared himself to Clinton first, Reagan second, on the art of communication. What an immodest lout he is. Plus, they got re-elected. He can only dream…on second thought he might not want the job. More money to be made outside of it, now that he is who the media made him to be, based on nada.

Schadenfreude on November 4, 2010 at 3:12 PM

LOL! Buckeye, you forgot one: the outcomes acted stupidly.

;)