CNN poll: Obama loses in 2012 to Huckabee, Romney

posted at 12:15 pm on November 4, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Is it too early for 2012 presidential-election blogging?  Realistically speaking, the season opened yesterday, as the candidates-to-be concluded their ground work for the midterms and now focus on the upcoming primary season.  CNN kicks it off with a new poll on some head-to-head matchups and Republican enthusiasm for each — and the names and numbers look familiar, except that Obama has started slipping against a couple of them:

In a possible general election showdown, Obama leads Palin 52-44 percent among all registered voters.

“Looking ahead to 2012, it may be too early to count Barack Obama out, particularly if Sarah Palin is his opponent,” said CNN Polling Director Keating Holland. “The former Alaska governor gets a lot of attention, but she is in third place when Republicans are asked to pick a presidential nominee, and in a hypothetical matchup with Obama she is arguably the weakest candidate of the top-tier GOP hopefuls.”

In a hypothetical 2012 matchup, Huckabee leads Obama 52 – 44 percent, while Romney has a 50-45 point advantage, which is within the poll’s sampling error. Obama holds a 49-47 percent margin over Gingrich.

The poll indicates that four in 10 have a favorable opinion of Palin, with nearly half saying they have an unfavorable view.

This presumes that Palin will actually run in 2012, of course, and that attitudes will remain fixed in that period of time.  That won’t be the case, however, especially if the US remains in the “new normal” economic stagnation that we have experienced for more than a year.  If we have another year of high unemployment and low growth and 2012 begins to look as bleak as 2010, voters will start to change their minds.

In fact, that’s the actual takeaway from this poll.  Voters seem to have crossed the Rubicon of voting against Obama in 2012.  While that may not sound like much to those who voted against him in 2008, it’s a bigger deal than people think.  Most incumbent Presidents who run for a second term win it.  The only two who have failed to do that since World War II have been Jimmy Carter and George H. W. Bush, who also had to deal with a serious third-party candidate in Ross Perot.  (Carter claimed the same with John Anderson in 1980, but Anderson didn’t impact the race at all; Gerald Ford lost his bid for the office, but he wasn’t elected to it in the first place.)  Having majorities admit to themselves and others that they’re ready to give a one-term President the boot is a telling moment.

It then comes down to alternatives, and frankly, it’s far too early to decide on one.  The presumed candidates will have a year or more to make their cases, and we don’t even know who may or may not enter the ring.  On the Imus show this morning, for instance, author Douglas Brinkley thought Texas Governor Rick Perry might make a run for the office, and that he might get Palin’s backing if he does.  Perry just won a third term in Texas and the state went even deeper red.  Instead of testing Perry in the poll, CNN tested for Ron Paul, a Texan who has little chance of winning anything except his Congressional seat in 2012.

Mike Huckabee and Mitt Romney have their supporters, and given their organizational efforts in 2008 an 2010, have an advantage; for that matter, so does Palin with her ties to the Tea Party and organizing.  But we won’t know whether any of them will be in the race or who will catch fire. What we do know is that Obama is beatable in 2012.

Update: I had the wrong link for the CNN poll; it’s fixed now.

Update II: Still had the wrong link! Sorry about that. Now it’s fixed. I promise.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

powerpro on November 4, 2010 at 3:55 PM

She was talking about Darwin’s quote..:)

Dire Straits on November 4, 2010 at 3:59 PM

I’m confused! You did not say it?..Are you sure?..:)

Dire Straits on November 4, 2010 at 3:57 PM

Yeah, I’m sure. What I said is not what sherry said I said.

darwin on November 4, 2010 at 4:01 PM

darwin on November 4, 2010 at 3:59 PM

All I’m saying is that she quit for 12 million not for the “ethics” charges that loon in Alaska was making..:)

Dire Straits on November 4, 2010 at 4:02 PM

Yes I know Dire Straits. :) But she quoted ME. :) So I thought I’d contribute with my position on the matter. :)

powerpro on November 4, 2010 at 4:03 PM

Some of the Palinistas were running down Rubio because someone wrote an article about him being the most feared Republican..:)

Dire Straits on November 4, 2010 at 3:37 PM

Name names and post these alleged comments or it didn’t happen.

Jenfidel on November 4, 2010 at 4:03 PM

Dire Straits on November 4, 2010 at 4:02 PM

So if it wasn’t for the money she would have stayed and just kept fighting the ethics complaints?

darwin on November 4, 2010 at 4:04 PM

Dire Straits on November 4, 2010 at 4:02 PM

And you know this how…?
Even Sarah didn’t and couldn’t know that she would make 12 million if she resigned (not “quit).

Jenfidel on November 4, 2010 at 4:04 PM

There’s nothing wrong with Romney except that he’s not what we need. He’s a good executive and businessman, but we need someone who isn’t afraid to challenge the status quo, look the “establishment” in the eye and tell them no. Palin is the only one capable of taking on the corruption in DC.

darwin on November 4, 2010 at 3:08 PM

This is what she was referring to..I guess Sherry and I got confused..:)

Dire Straits on November 4, 2010 at 4:05 PM

Jenfidel on November 4, 2010 at 4:04 PM

C’mon..:)

Dire Straits on November 4, 2010 at 4:06 PM

Dire Straits on November 4, 2010 at 4:02 PM

LOONS. Plural. This wasn’t a minor deal. It wasn’t a small inconvenience.

Palin is not by nature a quitter. Anyone who sees what she’s done over the last couple of years can see that much at least.

She was being pummeled and made practically useless. So she sacrificed herself and tossed the ball to her teammate to make the score.

Has she done well during that time? Sure. Is that the reason she left? Not bloody likely. She didn’t know her book was going to be a blockbuster hit.

But to rewrite history and pretend that Palin left for reasons other than why she left when the record of what happened to her and why it was happening is insulting.

powerpro on November 4, 2010 at 4:07 PM

Dire Straits on November 4, 2010 at 4:02 PM

You clearly have no idea what happened, are only parroting someone else’s talking points and are talking out of your ass. (Pardon my French)

Jenfidel on November 4, 2010 at 4:07 PM

ethics complaints?

darwin on November 4, 2010 at 4:04 PM

Ethic complaints made it convient for the real reasons..IMHO..:)

Dire Straits on November 4, 2010 at 4:07 PM

Jenfidel on November 4, 2010 at 4:07 PM

It is my opinion..I see you have another..That’s cool..:)

Dire Straits on November 4, 2010 at 4:08 PM

This is what she was referring to..I guess Sherry and I got confused..:)

Dire Straits on November 4, 2010 at 4:05 PM

Good grief. You two are nuts. I hope neither of you is a lawyer because I could beat you in court.

darwin on November 4, 2010 at 4:08 PM

Wow, Huckabee beats Obama by 8.

Huckabee/Rubio 2012!!

texasconserv on November 4, 2010 at 4:08 PM

C’mon..:)

Dire Straits on November 4, 2010 at 4:06 PM

No, you come on!
What you’re saying about her is complete bull&*^#.

Jenfidel on November 4, 2010 at 4:08 PM

This is what she was referring to..I guess Sherry and I got confused..:)

Dire Straits on November 4, 2010 at 4:05 PM

Please feel free to point out the history of the other presumed front runners that give any indication that they’ll take on corruption, not only in DC but also within the party. I don’t know of any whatsoever.

powerpro on November 4, 2010 at 4:09 PM

Ethic complaints made it convient for the real reasons..IMHO..:)

Dire Straits on November 4, 2010 at 4:07 PM

You didn’t answer my question.

darwin on November 4, 2010 at 4:09 PM

Dire Straits on November 4, 2010 at 4:02 PM

You obviously totally ignored my very patient explanation earlier to you.

You refuse to accept anything that anyone says that counters your stupidly simplistic, spoonfed idiot propaganda narrative.

That is your prerogative, I guess.

Enjoy being ignorant.

Brian1972 on November 4, 2010 at 4:10 PM

It is my opinion..I see you have another..That’s cool..:)

Dire Straits on November 4, 2010 at 4:08 PM

It is more than my opinion: it is the facts.
Research it yourself.
Your opinion is fact-free and based on nothing but emotional bias.

Jenfidel on November 4, 2010 at 4:10 PM

She didn’t know her book was going to be a blockbuster hit.

powerpro on November 4, 2010 at 4:07 PM

I’m not rewriting history ..Plus the money for the book is given upfront or at least a good portion is..:)

Dire Straits on November 4, 2010 at 4:10 PM

Jenfidel on November 4, 2010 at 4:10 PM

Sorry but I don’t by twitter posts and facebook quotes as gospel..:)

Dire Straits on November 4, 2010 at 4:11 PM

Ethic complaints made it convient for the real reasons..IMHO..:)

Dire Straits on November 4, 2010 at 4:07 PM

Do you even know what happened or are you just someone who’s decided that you know the “real truth” without bothering to look into those pesky little facts?

powerpro on November 4, 2010 at 4:11 PM

powerpro on November 4, 2010 at 4:11 PM

No one that knows the facts makes these kinds of accusations.

darwin on November 4, 2010 at 4:13 PM

Dire Straits on November 4, 2010 at 4:10 PM

You don’t know what you’re talking about.

powerpro on November 4, 2010 at 4:16 PM

Enjoy being ignorant.

Brian1972 on November 4, 2010 at 4:10 PM

I read your response but I think the Money played into her decision to resign also..And with it being millions it played a major role..:)

PS..I said I didn’t blame her..He!! we all would have quit..:)

Dire Straits on November 4, 2010 at 4:16 PM

Sorry but I don’t by twitter posts and facebook quotes as gospel..:)

Dire Straits on November 4, 2010 at 4:11 PM

I’m not talking about Twitter and FB posts: I’m talking about what actually happened.
Remember Reality?
These facts are documented.
Google it yourself and do the research–it’s not that tough.
Or go to conservatives4palin.com; they have all the links.

Jenfidel on November 4, 2010 at 4:16 PM

You don’t know what you’re talking about.

powerpro on November 4, 2010 at 4:16 PM

Sorry..my bad she has made 10 million..:)

Dire Straits on November 4, 2010 at 4:18 PM

PS..I said I didn’t blame her..He!! we all would have quit..:)

Dire Straits on November 4, 2010 at 4:16 PM

She didn’t quit.
And she didn’t resign for the money.
Now, please stop making an ass out of yourself by trying to post about things you know absolutely nothing about.

Jenfidel on November 4, 2010 at 4:18 PM

Dire Straits on November 4, 2010 at 4:16 PM

Are you not going to answer my question?

darwin on November 4, 2010 at 4:18 PM

PS..I said I didn’t blame her..He!! we all would have quit..:)

Dire Straits on November 4, 2010 at 4:16 PM

Now you are backtracking a little, now it isn’t instead of but also.

Brian1972 on November 4, 2010 at 4:18 PM

I think there are 12million of them..$$$..:)

Dire Straits on November 4, 2010 at 3:38 PM

So somehow YOU knew head of time she would make megabucks?

I have concerns that if Palin does decide to run and gets shot down during primaries, those that will be disappointed will just sit out the election in ’12 to make a point.

If that happens, the ironic thing is that Palin herself would tell her followers to “snap out of it”.

sherry on November 4, 2010 at 3:48 PM

I disagree – if Palin has her shot at the primaries and loses based on something other than “she’s a quitter & she’s stupid” most supporters will give the nominee a fair chance. However I doubt she would tell people to “snap out of it” if the primary winner was someone she did not respect as a staunch conservative. IMO Palin is a Conservative before she’s a Republican.

katiejane on November 4, 2010 at 4:19 PM

Sorry..my bad she has made 10 million..:)

Dire Straits on November 4, 2010 at 4:18 PM

Did you even bother to read the link? Clearly not if that’s your answer.

Sheesh.

Oh and :).

powerpro on November 4, 2010 at 4:19 PM

Hey Victor82, how about Mitt supporting Chris Christie in the Primaries before he was a name you could even drool over?

How about Mitt single handedly busting the 60 Democrat filibuster proof majority in the Senate when you were wringing your hands wondering what to do?

Anyone honest with themselves would call those useful contributions from Mitt.

scotash on November 4, 2010 at 3:17 PM

Dude. I appreciate the support he gave Chris Christie, especially since it didn’t cost Christie $170 million and, you know, Christie actually won.

But as much as we love Scott Brown, HCR passed. Now, how much good did breaking the Filibuster-proof Majority do us? Or the country?

Especially when the issue was decided in the Senate. Or as Obama said afterwards, “I don’t see what Republicans are upset about. I patterned Health Care Reform after the reform bill Mitt Romney passed in Massachussetts.”

Now where’s Meg’s $170 million dollars?

victor82 on November 4, 2010 at 4:20 PM

No one that knows the facts makes these kinds of accusations.

darwin on November 4, 2010 at 4:13 PM

Just like you all don’t know all the facts..No one does..:)

Dire Straits on November 4, 2010 at 4:20 PM

Sorry..my bad she has made 10 million..:)

Dire Straits on November 4, 2010 at 4:18 PM

All she had when she left office was the book contract–which she would still have had, had she stayed in office.
And she’s made a good deal of that money by working her butt off.
The woman has been the Energizer Mama Grizzly on the 2010 Campaign trail.
She even did one Tea Party Rally with Trig on her hip for an hour.

Jenfidel on November 4, 2010 at 4:20 PM

Dire Straits NEVER has a point and he just keeps posting stupidity, one after the other.

It’s a total waste of time.

sharrukin on November 4, 2010 at 4:21 PM

I’m sorry, I meant to say, especially when the issue was decided in the House by Pelosi and her devil’s bargain with the ever clueless Bart Stupak.

victor82 on November 4, 2010 at 4:21 PM

Just like you all don’t know all the facts..No one does..:)

Dire Straits on November 4, 2010 at 4:20 PM

We know a good deal of the facts: the Media has been over Sarah’s life with a fine-toothed comb.
If anyone’s been vetted, she has.

Jenfidel on November 4, 2010 at 4:22 PM

If anyone’s been vetted, she has.

Jenfidel on November 4, 2010 at 4:22 PM

She should run then..:)

Dire Straits on November 4, 2010 at 4:23 PM

Just like you all don’t know all the facts..No one does..:)

Dire Straits on November 4, 2010 at 4:20 PM

I’m pretty sure I know more than you on this subject.

darwin on November 4, 2010 at 4:23 PM

But an investigation by Forbes of Palin’s income since she left office last July (done as part of our research for the annual Celebrity 100 list, out last week), plus a review of her finances from a source with access to her business records, suggests Palin made a far smaller advance and that her earnings over the past 12 months were at best $10 million.

powerpro on November 4, 2010 at 4:19 PM

What did I miss?..Help me out here?..:)

Dire Straits on November 4, 2010 at 4:25 PM

Dire Straits on November 4, 2010 at 4:16 PM

Money did play some role in the decision, and I clearly said that before. She made about $150,000-$175,000 per year in salary as Governor. So, by the time she decided to leave, her legal debt had soared to twice what she had been paid for her entire term up to that point. They are not a wealthy family with big shot connections, so that was a big deal.

They way you said it to begin with implied that personal greed was the motivation, and all the reasons she explained, and others have tried to explain, were just a pile of bullsh!t to disguise the desire to cash in for herself.

This is the narrative set up by her enemies, not the real story. Will you acknowledge that I am correct about this, and that there was more involved here than just her own sef interest, like the State, and her staffers who were also being targeted and were also not protected from legal expenses resulting from frivilous complaints and lawsuits and FOIA requests?

These are the facts, and now you have them. Will you accept them, or do you dismiss it all out of hand, like so many others here do?

Brian1972 on November 4, 2010 at 4:25 PM

What did I miss?..Help me out here?..:)

Dire Straits on November 4, 2010 at 4:25 PM

Here’s a clue. What did you say she made from her advance…and what did she really make?

(hint: it was neither 12 million nor 10 million)

powerpro on November 4, 2010 at 4:27 PM

Are you not going to answer my question?

darwin on November 4, 2010 at 4:18 PM

What question..I’m being piled on..Sorry..:)

Dire Straits on November 4, 2010 at 4:27 PM

Palin WANTS to run, but is torn by the personal cost to her family, the cost to the cause of conservatism by her presence, and by what the field is likely to look like.

I hope she runs, but at the end of the day it is still her call alone to make. Let’s let her make her own case, and then let the people decide.

CNN has an agenda, like anyone else, so I don’t fall for the free Kool Aid that they are always trying to serve.

itzWicks on November 4, 2010 at 4:28 PM

Brian1972 on November 4, 2010 at 4:25 PM

QFT.

powerpro on November 4, 2010 at 4:28 PM

katiejane on November 4, 2010 at 4:19 PM

Which could be a concern.

Let’s say Palin loses during primary and in the end the candidate that does emerge is not conservative enough or has a skeleton or two and Palin writes on her Facebook page that she will not endorse this person, how many people do you think will pay attention to that?

(run-on question, I know)

sherry on November 4, 2010 at 4:29 PM

(hint: it was neither 12 million nor 10 million)

powerpro on November 4, 2010 at 4:27 PM

you are correct..But she has made 10 million over the last 12 months vs $ 125,000 as Governor..?..:)

Dire Straits on November 4, 2010 at 4:29 PM

Brian1972 on November 4, 2010 at 4:25 PM

I did not mean to imply greed..you assumed I did..:)

Dire Straits on November 4, 2010 at 4:31 PM

I’m pretty sure I know more than you on this subject.

darwin on November 4, 2010 at 4:23 PM

Maybe you do!..But I agree with Sherry she is not the only one that can be our nominee..:)

Dire Straits on November 4, 2010 at 4:33 PM

Count me in the 30+% of Republicans that will be willing to vote for Obama if a GOP ‘moderate’ is chosen as the nominee. The 18% of RINOs who voted for Coons in Delaware have shown us the way. Rove can shed tears of blood for all we care.

TheRightMan on November 4, 2010 at 1:06 PM

Someones been drinking early. At least, I hope thats the reason.

Speedwagon82 on November 4, 2010 at 4:33 PM

Actually, Straits, you had no idea what was going on up there. Palin’s government WAS being paralyzed by a coordinated attack from Democratic front groups who probably had the silent assent and partnership of the Murkowski clan.

Palin was 500 grand in the hole to her lawyer at the time she left. Processing the ethics complaints cost the state a couple of million dollars. That could have been used on something else. Had she stayed, she would have had a couple of million dollars in legal bills by now, and the Department of Law would have had to set up an entire division just to handle Palin complaints.

She did the right thing by the state. She knew she was going to be penalized politically. She gained in the long run, but she paid a political price. She knows this. Leaving office was bad for her. But it’s something she had to do.

victor82 on November 4, 2010 at 4:34 PM

Dire Straits on November 4, 2010 at 4:29 PM

So what?
And she’s made it the American way…by working for it, to wit: writing books, giving speeches, putting together her documentary on AK for TLC and being a commenter on Fox News.
Is that a crime, in your book?
Or would you prefer public servants like Harry Reid who live on a “fixed income” of millions from God-knows-where?

Jenfidel on November 4, 2010 at 4:34 PM

(run-on question, I know)

sherry on November 4, 2010 at 4:29 PM

She would not do that..She is a Republican..she would back the nominee..:)

Dire Straits on November 4, 2010 at 4:35 PM

Dire Straits on November 4, 2010 at 4:29 PM

Did she know she was going to make that money?

Like Brian said… sure, money was A factor. But it was not THE factor. You seem to be wedded to how well she’s done since resigning and taking the position that because she’s done well, that this must then be the REASON she left. As though we didn’t have reams of information on what happened, why and who was behind it.

It just comes across as insulting to me…especially since she’s been sticking her neck out for ridicule and derision from the left and media (BIRM) and doing everything in her power to fight on behalf of the issues that matter most. In order to take the position you do, you must by default reject the overwhelming evidence that shows exactly why she left.

I don’t think Palin has done anything to deserve that level of cynicism.

powerpro on November 4, 2010 at 4:36 PM

Dire Straits on November 4, 2010 at 4:33 PM

Alright, who else did you have in mind?
We’ll wait.

Jenfidel on November 4, 2010 at 4:36 PM

Jenfidel on November 4, 2010 at 4:34 PM

I agree she has earned it..I am just saying it also factored into why quit as Governor..:)

Dire Straits on November 4, 2010 at 4:36 PM

Alright, who else did you have in mind?
We’ll wait.

Jenfidel on November 4, 2010 at 4:36 PM

I don’t know..Are you sure Palin will run..Has she announced?..:)

Dire Straits on November 4, 2010 at 4:37 PM

Dire Straits on November 4, 2010 at 4:33 PM

Good for you! No one here ever said she’s the only one. That was a gross misinterpretation by sherry.

darwin on November 4, 2010 at 4:38 PM

I don’t think Palin has done anything to deserve that level of cynicism.

powerpro on November 4, 2010 at 4:36 PM

I respect your point! This is debate not cynicism..I have enjoyed it..We are all on the same team..:)

Dire Straits on November 4, 2010 at 4:39 PM

(run-on question, I know)

sherry on November 4, 2010 at 4:29 PM

Sarah’s not a negative person, so it would not be like her to make a statement against the Republican nominee.
She would go with the “will of the people,” as it’s expressed in the GOP presidential primary.
(I am convinced that she is fully aware of McCain’s squishyness and yet agreed to be his running mate, even though she is far more conservative than he is.)

Jenfidel on November 4, 2010 at 4:40 PM

That was a gross misinterpretation by sherry.

darwin on November 4, 2010 at 4:38 PM

We were just going off your quote..:)

Dire Straits on November 4, 2010 at 4:40 PM

If these ethics complaints were so unstoppable, why aren’t they doing it to Alaska’s new Governor? He is still a Republican, so I assume to lefties he is still an “evil fascist wolf-killing racist etc”. Why not cost him some money?

Speedwagon82 on November 4, 2010 at 4:41 PM

We were just going off your quote..:)

Dire Straits on November 4, 2010 at 4:40 PM

No, you were going off two words and taking the entire comment out of context which is typical.

darwin on November 4, 2010 at 4:42 PM

Speedwagon82 on November 4, 2010 at 4:41 PM

Do you really need an answer?

darwin on November 4, 2010 at 4:42 PM

I don’t know..Are you sure Palin will run..Has she announced?..:)

Dire Straits on November 4, 2010 at 4:37 PM

She will only run if the country needs her to run.

Where *do* you get your “information” and “news?”
Don’t knock Twitter or FaceBook!
The Twitter & Facebook posts I read are infinitely more factual and informed than your thoughts, almost all with links.

Jenfidel on November 4, 2010 at 4:43 PM

Do you have a viable option that she could have taken?

darwin on November 4, 2010 at 3:21 PM

No I do not..But reasons given by her crew are disingenious..:)

Dire Straits on November 4, 2010 at 3:25 PM

sharrukin on November 4, 2010 at 3:31 PM

My point is she quit!..I don’t blame her but it is not for the “Patriotic” reasons given..:)

Dire Straits on November 4, 2010 at 3:33 PM

Then what are the reasons?

darwin on November 4, 2010 at 3:37 PM

I think there are 12million of them..$$$..:)

Dire Straits on November 4, 2010 at 3:38 PM

There is a clear implication here, that what she told everyone is crap and the REAL reason was money, only money, for herself. I mean, you wrote those words, so what was anyone supposed to think by reading that?

Sounded to me like you don’t believe anything about the lead up to her leaving except what the press and Huffington Post have said, which is QUIT FOR $$$.

If you meant something else, well maybe you should try and be a little less cryptic, and a little more precise in your words.

Brian1972 on November 4, 2010 at 4:43 PM

That was a gross misinterpretation by sherry.

darwin on November 4, 2010 at 4:38 PM

Let me bring this full circle so it is cleared up. You wrote that she was the only one who can take on corruption in DC. I was amazed that you used the phrase “only one”, hence my comment.

What did I grossly misinterpret?

sherry on November 4, 2010 at 4:44 PM

Why not cost him some money?

Speedwagon82 on November 4, 2010 at 4:41 PM

Because Parnell isn’t the Identified Target per Alinsky.
Sarah, the winsome, eligible, electable and appealing conservative Republican 2008 VP Candidate was and is.

Jenfidel on November 4, 2010 at 4:45 PM

Speedwagon82 on November 4, 2010 at 4:41 PM

Because he doesn’t pose a direct threat to Barack Obama and the agenda of the left.

powerpro on November 4, 2010 at 4:45 PM

Jenfidel on November 4, 2010 at 4:40 PM

Agreed. So what do you think will happen if she does decide not to run? I would think it would be difficult for her to single out one candidate to support.

sherry on November 4, 2010 at 4:47 PM

What did I grossly misinterpret?

sherry on November 4, 2010 at 4:44 PM

Palin is the only one capable of taking on the corruption in DC.

darwin on November 4, 2010 at 3:08 PM

I agree..I don’t know how this sentence gets misinterpreted?..

Dire Straits on November 4, 2010 at 4:47 PM

This is debate not cynicism..I have enjoyed it..We are all on the same team..:)

Dire Straits on November 4, 2010 at 4:39 PM

Sorry, my friend, but you weren’t participating in a debate; you were spewing HuffPo anti-Palin talking points, which I did not enjoy.

There it is.
It remains to be seen if we are all, indeed, on the same team.

Jenfidel on November 4, 2010 at 4:47 PM

Speedwagon82 on November 4, 2010 at 4:41 PM

Because the DC Democrats are not worried about this GOP Governor advancing to a nationally prominent position, like they were with Palin even before McCain put her on the ticket. Remember Anita Dunn? She ran the comm shop for Palin’s Democrat opponent in 2006, former Gov Tony Knowles.

She warned DC to look out for this woman in the future.

McCain brought the future a little quicker than they anticipated, but national Democrat operatives were already watching her.

Same with Marco Rubio, you saw how they threw the black Democrat under the bus to prevent him from gaining a national platform to reach the whole country.
He threatens their Hispanic racial dogma election strategies, and before him Palin did the same with their precious “gender gap”, which they count on to make up for their shotfall in the white male vote.

It’s hardball politics, they try to kneecap our stars before they get going.

Brian1972 on November 4, 2010 at 4:49 PM

sherry on November 4, 2010 at 4:29 PM

I would imagine the people for whom the priority is getting a CONSERVATVE in the office rather than just the usual Republican could very well pay attention to that. But some of her supporters ignored her support for McCain BECAUSE he was not conservative enough it is clear that most don’t follow her picks lockstep. The GOP needs to accept that some people aren’t willing to swllow another squishy RINO just to have an R after the POTUS’ name.

She would not do that..She is a Republican..she would back the nominee..:)

Dire Straits on November 4, 2010 at 4:35 PM

I disagree, I don’t believe she would endorse someone just because they’re a Republican. She might remain silent but I don’t “think” she would endorse someone she didn’t feel was a real conservative.

katiejane on November 4, 2010 at 4:49 PM

sherry on November 4, 2010 at 4:47 PM

You’re posing the problem the wrong way:
Saran won’t decide not to run if there’s not another candidate she can support.
(And she has said as much, too.)
Got it?

Jenfidel on November 4, 2010 at 4:49 PM

Brian1972 on November 4, 2010 at 4:43 PM

No I’m saying the money was a bigger reason..not the only one..Sorry I gave you that implication..:)

Dire Straits on November 4, 2010 at 4:49 PM

Again I ask. Which other of the presumed front runners have a proven history of taking on entrenched corruption? Especially corruption within the party? Romney? Huckabee? Gingrich?

Examples please.

powerpro on November 4, 2010 at 4:50 PM

I agree..I don’t know how this sentence gets misinterpreted?..

Dire Straits on November 4, 2010 at 4:47 PM

What I said and what sherry implied I said are two completely different things.

darwin on November 4, 2010 at 4:50 PM

Especially corruption within the party? Romney? Huckabee? Gingrich?

Examples please.

powerpro on November 4, 2010 at 4:50 PM

I’m sure they all have taken on corruption..:)

Dire Straits on November 4, 2010 at 4:52 PM

There it is.
It remains to be seen if we are all, indeed, on the same team.

Jenfidel on November 4, 2010 at 4:47 PM

Pardon me Dire, I know this was written to you.

Jenfidel, this is what kills me. If someone who is on the same team provides any kind of critical assessment of Palin, they are either viewed as a jealous sexist, hater, idiot, or worse.

There are several million people out there that do not feel the same way you do about her. I speak for myself that I would certainly vote for her if she makes it to the end but I do not view her in the same light you do.

sherry on November 4, 2010 at 4:53 PM

Dire Straits on November 4, 2010 at 4:49 PM

Well, that just gave me some motivation to articulate some of the actual history again, so people can see it in black and white.

We will be going over this a lot more in the next several months, so everyone sharpen your arguments!

Brian1972 on November 4, 2010 at 4:53 PM

Dire Straits on November 4, 2010 at 4:49 PM

Still fxxxing that chicken, are you?

The only “money” that was a factor was the huge legal bill that the ethics charges forced the Palin family to shoulder, in addition to the state of AK itself.
Sarah was unable to govern effectively as governor at all.
She was cleared on 15 out of 15 ethics court cases and more were being filed as soon as she had settled those with no end in sight.

Jenfidel on November 4, 2010 at 4:54 PM

I’m sure they all have taken on corruption..:)

Dire Straits on November 4, 2010 at 4:52 PM

I asked for examples. Not a blanket non-answer.

powerpro on November 4, 2010 at 4:54 PM

Saran won’t decide not to run if there’s not another candidate she can support.

Got it?

Jenfidel on November 4, 2010 at 4:49 PM

No, because you’ve got a triple negative going on in there.

sherry on November 4, 2010 at 4:54 PM

Pardon me, “dire,” but I didn’t call you any of those things.

sherry on November 4, 2010 at 4:53 PM

And this would be how, exactly?
In your own words, “what “light” do I “view her” in?

Jenfidel on November 4, 2010 at 4:55 PM

What did I grossly misinterpret?

sherry on November 4, 2010 at 4:44 PM

I can appreciate that but the statement was she was “the only one”. While she certainly has political talents, I highly doubt that she is the only one to ressurect and save this nation.

sherry on November 4, 2010 at 3:45 PM

I think it’s pretty obvious.

darwin on November 4, 2010 at 4:56 PM

Jenfidel on November 4, 2010 at 4:54 PM

I admire your spirit..:)

Dire Straits on November 4, 2010 at 4:56 PM

I think it’s pretty obvious.

darwin on November 4, 2010 at 4:56 PM

Ok..:)

Dire Straits on November 4, 2010 at 4:58 PM

No, because you’ve got a triple negative going on in there.

sherry on November 4, 2010 at 4:54 PM

Fair enough.
Try this: Sarah will only step aside if she either a.) loses the GOP primary or b.) someone as conservative as she is steps up to the plate to run…and so far, that Republican is nowhere in sight.
And it’s certainly not Huckabee or Romney…or even Chris Christie (but he is a fine fiscal conservative).

Jenfidel on November 4, 2010 at 4:58 PM

Jenfidel on November 4, 2010 at 4:55 PM

I haven’t called you that have I?..:)

Dire Straits on November 4, 2010 at 5:00 PM

I think it’s pretty obvious.

darwin on November 4, 2010 at 4:56 PM

A leap. Point taken.

sherry on November 4, 2010 at 5:00 PM

I’m sure they all have taken on corruption..:)

Dire Straits on November 4, 2010 at 4:52 PM

Not the way Sarah did.

Dire, I generally like you. Seriously. :-)
But you really don’t know Jack Squat about Sarah’s history and record.
Please, don’t embarrass yourself any more: Don’t comment about Palin until you’ve read up on her career.
I say this as a friend.
You can thank me later! ;-)

Jenfidel on November 4, 2010 at 5:02 PM

I’m sure they all have taken on corruption..:)

Dire Straits on November 4, 2010 at 4:52 PM

Well, I know Sarah has.

Previously, I said she has done this before.

Well, when she was term limited out as Mayor, she then ran statewide for the first time for Lt. Governor.
She very narrowly lost, but did well enough to make a name for herself statewide. The Governor, Frank Murkowski, appointed her to the State Oil and Gas Commission as a sort of reward. That job payed in excess of $100,000 a year.

She found that the State GOP Chairman was also using the resources of the Commission offices for partisan activities, which was illegal. She went to the AG, who did nothing. She went to the Governor, who did nothing.

Putting at risk her standing with the state party and her political future, she resigned the position, blew the whistle and went to the people. Guess what, she ran for Governor against a GOP incumbent and knocked him off in the primary, then defeated a former Democrat Governor in the general, without much help from the GOP.

See what I’m saying? She took a stand, did the right thing despite possible negative consequences for herself, and ended up coming out on top.

Who else has done anything like that, within their own party at the state level?

I can think of no one.

Brian1972 on November 4, 2010 at 5:02 PM

Pardon me, “dire,” but I didn’t call you any of those things

Jenfidel on November 4, 2010 at 4:55 PM

???

Dire Straits on November 4, 2010 at 5:04 PM

Why is it that every thread that mentions Sarah Palin becomes all about her? The fact that both Huckabee and Romney can beat Obama NOW should be main point–Obama is beatable NOW, and might be even more beatable if House Republicans play their cards right and make Obama look like an “obstructionist”.

Besides, Huckabee, Romney, and Palin are all FORMER Governors. Who knows whether the best Republican candidate might not be a CURRENT Governor, such as Mitch Daniels, Chris Christie, or Bobby Jindal?

A lot can happen between now and the Presidential primaries, and issues can change. Back in 2008, McCain looked like a good bet due to the Iraq war, then came the banking crisis and Obama blamed Bush and walked away with the election. Now the main issues are jobs, spending, and health care, but what if there’s an energy crisis or some foreign crisis (terrorist attack, Iran gets the bomb, etc.) where some other Republican candidate will suddenly gain traction?

Right now, let the new House majority try to govern, and blame Democrats for any blockages or failures. Then let the Republican voters figure out who is the best candidate to take out Obama, as a function of what Obama does between now and then.

Steve Z on November 4, 2010 at 5:04 PM

Jenfidel on November 4, 2010 at 5:02 PM

Well since I don’t know Sarah ..Maybe she can enlighten me when and if she runs..:)

Dire Straits on November 4, 2010 at 5:06 PM

???

Dire Straits on November 4, 2010 at 5:04 PM

Sorry, I got my wires crossed with you and sherry!
Thought she was being cute about calling me “dear!”
LOL!
See why you shouldn’t chose the screen name of a band?

Jenfidel on November 4, 2010 at 5:07 PM

See why you shouldn’t chose the screen name of a band?

Jenfidel on November 4, 2010 at 5:07 PM

You are forgiven!..I know I did not say that..:)

Dire Straits on November 4, 2010 at 5:08 PM