So, that MSNBC coverage last night was pretty bad, huh?

posted at 8:11 pm on November 3, 2010 by Allahpundit

Was it? Actually, let me rephrase: Notwithstanding the fact that it was bad, should it have been better? I’m not sold, although Michael Moynihan does a nifty job of capturing the badness:

Watching MSNBC’s nauseating, petty, smug election coverage was like watching a live stream of a Park Slope dinner party. And it made it official. The network, which has adopted a piecemeal strategy of partisanship—the evening schedule seems to add a liberal firebrand every six months—has now completed its transformation into the left-wing version of Fox News. Prior to the election, one could hear Chris Matthews comparing the brief and isolated outbreak of violence at a Rand Paul event to—you guess it!—Germany in the 1930s. Not to be outdone, Ed Schultz popped up an hour later declaring that it reminded him too of Nazi violence. A few days later, Matthews would praise Jon Stewart’s Rally for Sanity, which called for the media to tone down the hyperbole, as “a positive thing.” Last night he was to be found making dick jokes on television as his party was being driven off a cliff.

Two things. One: At this point, is it fair to Fox to call what happened last night a lefty version of FNC? In fact, Fox’s election night coverage was more balanced than MSNBC’s was, from the ideological diversity on the panels to the overall more reserved tone. See this round-up at Mediaite of TV critics who felt obliged to admit that today, however grudgingly or not. Two: Would it have somehow been better for Olby and Matthews and Maddow to grit their teeth and pretend to be objective-ish as the Democratic bloodbath wore on? Replacing them with hard news anchors, a la Shep or Bret Baier, really isn’t an option; there’s no one on the news side of MSNBC with that kind of heft. (Transmitting NBC’s coverage of the election was an option, I suppose, but NBC has reportedly been looking to separate the two news divisions’ brands, not further entwine them.) Their only shot at ratings was to lard up the evening with left-wing robots and let them snark away as the returns rolled in, hoping that progressive viewers would at least enjoy the catharsis to soothe their pain from the results. It didn’t quite work — MSNBC finished third overall, just behind CNN and waaaaay behind Fox — but it was their best bet. Can’t say I’d have done differently if I was the programming director. Although I can say I’d have tried to hire a marquee anchor by now precisely for situations like this.

It’s hard to choose a single clip the best encapsulates the nuttery last night, especially since Ed’s already posted the Matthews/Bachmann showdown, but this one of Lawrence O’Donnell warning of Rand Paul’s ability to usher in a global economic apocalypse is fun. If you’re underwhelmed by it, no worries: The Daily Beast has several more to choose from.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Isn’t GE also planning $$$ involvement in the master database for Obamacare?

slickwillie2001 on November 3, 2010 at 9:47 PM

Baxter Greene on November 3, 2010 at 9:38 PM

Considering the backlash against companies that were bailed out it makes you wonder what the true impact on NBC would have been if the public was better informed. What about bonus outrage. O/T and non-sequitur, I am so sick of Andy Griffith.

Cindy Munford on November 3, 2010 at 9:48 PM

Wait, Shep is a “hard news anchor”? In what reality?

Cylor on November 3, 2010 at 9:55 PM

B-man, I normally just sit in awe of your posts but I see I’m going to have to help you out tonight.

StoneKrab on November 3, 2010 at 9:17 PM
You are aware that MSNBC/GE not only lobbied the Obama administration concerning the Cap and Trade bill but also stand to make billions off of the policies that it contained.

StoneKrab, can you say General Electric. They help make bombs and electrical devices that guide bombs that kill innocent little Umbakway and Meer Kats! GE is the money behind MSNBC. Pure….Evil!!!

I assume you also know that GE/MSNBC took millions of dollars of stimulus money in……no conflict of interest there right.

B-man, why do you assume when a libreal is confronted with the fact concerning the money path that it will somehow prick their conscience? They actually get off on that knowledge knowing that somewhere down the line, they’re the beneficiary of that money. You have to hit them with THE CHILDREN AND THE INNOCENT MEER KATS!!! (Not necessarily in that order).

How can you watch the MSNBC panel compared to the FOX panel and not see the incredible difference in professionalism and diversity?????

It’s different with MSNBC for them. They agree with that crew and…and even laugh at their sophomoric jokes. “Di*k” Armey “Di*k” Armey.

Baxter Greene on November 3, 2010 at 9:26 PM

We’re counting on you to get back on your A-game young man!

hawkdriver on November 3, 2010 at 9:57 PM

O/T and non-sequitur, I am so sick of Andy Griffith.

Cindy Munford on November 3, 2010 at 9:48 PM

Heh!!!!!

You are exactly right.

Obama went from bragging about GM’s IPO’s, to silence…..now it has been revealed that we are taking it right in the gazoo concerning all the money to bail them out.

GM IPO pricing: Getting bailout money back unlikely

More details will be out later today or tomorrow when GM makes its final filing for its initial stock offering, but reports on the IPO pricing make it look unlikely taxpayers will ever get back all of the more than $50 billion GM bailout.

It was only a few months ago that GM (with Geithner’s help) was lying to the American people about “paying their loan back”…..

The Obama administration could care less….it’s not their money.

Baxter Greene on November 3, 2010 at 9:58 PM

Rather than raise the debt ceiling why not just fire 30% of federal employees. Most of them will probably be able to find work when Jerry Brown’s job program gets started.
But seriously we will only know that Washington is serious about fixing the economy when they start making some real cuts in Washington. It’s all bull sh** and gun smoke until then.

snaggletoothie on November 3, 2010 at 9:58 PM

Why is this site censoring the name Dick?

hawkdriver on November 3, 2010 at 9:59 PM

StoneKrab on November 3, 2010 at 9:17 PM

StoneKrab, can you say General Electric. They help make bombs and electrical devices that guide bombs that hurt innocent little Umbakway and Meer Kats! GE is the money behind MSNBC. Pure….Evil!!!

Baxter Greene on November 3, 2010 at 9:26 PM

We’re counting on you to get back on your A-game young man!

hawkdriver on November 3, 2010 at 10:01 PM

We’re counting on you to get back on your A-game young man!

hawkdriver on November 3, 2010 at 10:01 PM

Yes sir and dead on as usual Hawk….

I stand corrected and will make the necessary changes.

Baxter Greene on November 3, 2010 at 10:07 PM

Sorry for the repost. The page loading wait is maddening. I’m assuming our comments go to some review now?

hawkdriver on November 3, 2010 at 10:11 PM

I stand corrected and will make the necessary changes.

Baxter Greene on November 3, 2010 at 10:07 PM

Roger, as you were. ;-)

hawkdriver on November 3, 2010 at 10:17 PM

I flipped in and out of PMS-DNC last night, just for the amusement factor. And after a bit I realized it was so unwatchable, I couldn’t stop watching.

I figured that this was like a bunch of Junior High punks that hang out at the mall, smug and a little proud that the “grown ups” look at them with just little bit of caution if not fear, being loud, obnoxious, and enjoying being a pain in the ass with their buddies. Oh, and Olby’s mother threatened to make them stay home if he didn’t “Take his little sister Rachel” with them.

Was I mistaken, or did Chrissy flip the bird to the monitor after the Bachmann bit?

JamesLee on November 3, 2010 at 10:17 PM

O/T and non-sequitur, I am so sick of Andy Griffith.

Cindy Munford on November 3, 2010 at 9:48 PM

I didn’t see him in any NC ads this years. Was he busy in FLA?

hawkdriver on November 3, 2010 at 10:20 PM

Wait, Shep is a “hard news anchor”? In what reality?

Cylor on November 3, 2010 at 9:55 PM

In his case, it means it’s hard work to read all those big words off the teleprompter thingy.

slickwillie2001 on November 3, 2010 at 10:22 PM

Wait, Shep is a “hard news anchor”? In what reality?

Cylor on November 3, 2010 at 9:55 PM

Shep hosts The Fox Report, which is an hour of solid news reporting. It’s designed to separate Fox from the other cable news networks by focusing on reporting fact rather than opinion.

Caiwyn on November 3, 2010 at 10:23 PM

hawkdriver on November 3, 2010 at 10:20 PM

He’s got ads on who great Obamacare is. Very annoying since I like him.

Cindy Munford on November 3, 2010 at 10:28 PM

Loved the tingley sign someone was holding up behind Bachmann.. Isolate, target, ridicule.. Check.

reshas1 on November 3, 2010 at 10:42 PM

Maybe we could cut the budget so we don’t have to raise the debt ceiling. We could save a billion just cancelling Obama’s trip to India, Nancy’s jet is gone=few bucks there.

Herb on November 3, 2010 at 10:51 PM

Can’t say I’d have done differently if I was the programming director.

You would if you had an ounce of self respect.

Really AP, sometimes you carry this even-handedness thing too far.

PackerBronco on November 3, 2010 at 11:06 PM

Looking at the still at the start of that clip makes me wonder if that is Lawrence O’Donnell or Niles Crane?

Paradox Drive on November 3, 2010 at 11:16 PM

MSNBC used to be my favorite election night team: a quirky bunch of political junkies offering honest (if universally Democrat-registered) interest and insight into the proceedings.

Now they’re still quirky, but the addition of addled Olberman and hack dike Maddow create this moonbat feedback loop unlike anything that has ever been allowed on television. Olberman is completely redundant sitting next to Matthews, a self-important media knight who can find his genitals with both hands. Maddow is just depressing. That a brain with such an alarming capacity for minute recall is dedicated wholly to weird sophistry and total recall of the gaffes and faux pas of the party she doesn’t like is an indictment of our higher education system. That such a one-track mind can be given a lofty perch in journalism is, unfortunately, no longer a surprise.

HitNRun on November 3, 2010 at 11:32 PM

8-11p ET MSNBC CNN FNC

P2+ 1,945,000 2,423,000 6,957,000
25-54 669,000 1,030,000 2,431,000

TVByTheNumbers says that FOX won in a route. pMSNBC = Alan Grayson.

SouthernGent on November 3, 2010 at 11:36 PM

I find it interesting that Michael Moynihan paints Fox as the partisan operation it is.

Amazing.

Can’t say I’d have done differently if I was the programming director.

You wouldn’t, nor will they.

MSNBC is kind of like John McCain’s campaign, as everyone here probably agrees – it was dead until Palin showed up and brought in all the Far Righties/Conservatives who really didn’t want to have anything to do with McCain or his campaign, before her arrival.

MSNBC – the same deal. It was really really dead in the ratings water before they brought on Maddow, Olbermann. If it wasn’t for them they wouldn’t have any viewers. Forget about Matthews – their Far Left audience isn’t watching him. Their numbers are always higher than Matthews

Without Maddow and Olbermann they would lose the minute audeince they have to CNN.

AprilOrit on November 3, 2010 at 11:43 PM

Laurence O’Donnell has a very high postal potential factor.

slickwillie2001 on November 3, 2010 at 11:55 PM

My response to this liberal topic:

Dr B on November 4, 2010 at 12:06 AM

My response to this liberal topic:

Dr B on November 4, 2010 at 12:06 AM

C.R.A.Z.Y with a capital C.

AprilOrit on November 4, 2010 at 12:08 AM

Oh oops I meant that for the other topic….

Dr B on November 4, 2010 at 12:13 AM

PackerBronco on November 3, 2010 at 11:06 PM

Paradox Drive on November 3, 2010 at 11:16 PM

Actually, that was MrsJamesLee’s reaction to him. Or, to be totally honest, she said “Niles Crane’s Older brother. Not Fraiser, but Hyde-Pierce’s older brother”

JamesLee on November 4, 2010 at 1:07 AM

Did anyone hear the “smart azz” comment Olbermann made as Chris O’Donnell was getting ready to give her concession speech – - he said “get the popcorn ready” He is such a jerk !!!

golfer39 on November 4, 2010 at 1:19 AM

Did Matthews and Olberman show their ever so sensitive racial sensitivities and bemoan the incredible whiteness of MSNBC’s on air staff?

RJL on November 4, 2010 at 1:52 AM

MSNBOHICA’s panel last night reminded me of the clique of nerdy kids in grade school who no one else wants to associate with, so they retreat to their super secret lair to make snarky little comments and in-jokes that only they find funny and witty. Pathetic …

ya2daup on November 4, 2010 at 1:52 AM

Last night [Matthews] was to be found making dick jokes on television as his party was being driven off a cliff.

Dear Allah,

These columns suggest MSNBC already has a “hard” news anchor.

Perhaps prompted by that Rush he felt up his leg?

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on November 4, 2010 at 3:13 AM

Michael Moynihan missed a few beats here. Equating FNC and MSNBC coverage such as I have seen is apples and oranges. While both fit the same category, loud and forceful “reminds me of” or “makes me think of”, there is a signature difference. FNC, at least in the form of Glen Beck, points you to source material so you can check up on his proclamations. I’ve never noticed Oblerdunce, Tingles, or the other over the top screamers demonstrating a belief that their audiences are capable of looking at source material and forming their own opinions.

And after the fine people at the Restore “whatever” rally in Washington who objected strenuously to the “Obama = Keynesian” sign screaming “It’s been proven he was born in Hawaii” I’m inclined to agree that the MSNBC folks don’t have an audience that can add two and two and produce a correct answer other than the “whatever” they were taught in school. That is SAD. It also suggests that this nation has 50 years of recovery it must put itself through if it is going to even remain a nation let alone a first rate nation.

And I live in California, the perfect example of the two plus two equals “whatever” phenomenon. Our schools are that bad. (Although SOMETIMES you get “that depends” for an answer. I’m not sure which is worse.)

{^_^}

herself on November 4, 2010 at 4:02 AM

Hmmm. Mystery Political Theater 2010. Hey, you may be on to something here Servo!

MJBrutus on November 4, 2010 at 5:44 AM

has now completed its transformation into the left-wing version of Fox News

Don’t make me laugh. Fox doesn’t stick their heads up their azz, they try to get the whole picture. MSNBC is completely in the tank.

disa on November 4, 2010 at 7:17 AM

MSNBC? Scrooooooooo’em!!

joe btfsplk on November 4, 2010 at 7:26 AM

I watched MSNBC till I hit fifty (50) major mistakes or propaganda like comments.

I usually get only one or two watching FOX!

Can someone tell Lawrence O’Donnell that the expression is wreak havoc not wreck havoc unless he meant that someone needs to wreck the havoc of The One’s economic quagmire?

IlikedAUH2O on November 4, 2010 at 7:42 AM

I am confident that the brass at Comcast took note of the abysmal behavior and lack of professionalism exhibited by the MSNBC gang on election night. I am also confident of the fact that when they take ownership of MSNBC major changes will occur. I feel these two factors are known already by the MSNBC gang and they knew they had nothing to lose so they just dropped whatever charade they had left (pun intended) and just took it to the gutter. They are all worried that their days are numbered. I believe some of them already know they aren’t going to be around after Comcast takes over.

Carl on November 4, 2010 at 7:54 AM

CNBC coverage was excellent, as usual. MSNBC has no identity; this whole lefty “lean forward” thing is gaining them nothing, and will be abandoned. They should just close it down and NBC should just be happy it has CNBC raking it in on cable.

MTF on November 4, 2010 at 8:06 AM

Not that I hold the tv journalism corps in very high regard, but who in their right mind would associate themselves with these clowns?

Jaibones on November 4, 2010 at 8:06 AM

CNBC coverage was excellent, as usual.
MTF on November 4, 2010 at 8:06 AM

Fox Business was Better.

Dr Evil on November 4, 2010 at 8:19 AM

Comcast takes over by the end of this year, from what I read. They need to get rid of Phil Griffin he has run the network into the ditch. That’s probably where the President got the idea for car metaphor.

Steve Capus has been sent to CNBC so he has an opportunity to turn CNBC into something no one wants to watch?

Dr Evil on November 4, 2010 at 8:23 AM

Watching this was like seeing a slow motion train wreck. I couldn’t make myself look away.

Uniblogger on November 4, 2010 at 9:33 AM

Herb on November 3, 2010 at 10:51 PM

Hannity’s “Great American Panel” mentioned $200 million a day for Obama’s “entourage” of 3,000 people, which comes out to $67,000 per day per person. What can anyone buy in India to spend money that fast???

And what are We the People getting for Our money?

As for San Fran Nan’s jet, it would be a great symbolic gesture for Boehner to put it on eBay next January (like Sarah Palin did with former Governor Murkowski’s jet), and give the money to the U. S. Treasury. If there are security concerns for his being second-in-line for the Presidency, he should use a small jet for only himself, his family, and the pilots.

Steve Z on November 4, 2010 at 9:56 AM

GE has its fingers in all kinds of administration pies, that’s why MSNBC can be a revenue loss for them forever and they couldn’t care less. GE has the largest domestic investment in wind farms, plus GE capital was poised to make billions with the trading of carbon credits if Cap and Trade was passed. Plus a government takeover of health care would ensure all medical records be kept using GE software, the list goes on and on. Can’t wait for Comcast to take over, believe they understand what retaining the likes of Olbermann and Maddow would do to their brand nationally.

oldoldbabs on November 4, 2010 at 10:25 AM

No, Allah, it is not fair. I’ve watched Fox a lot and never saw anything like what MSNBC did to Michelle Bachman.

Constantly snickering at her even as they interviewed her is the height of arrogance and insult.

When they laugh at and disrespect a representative of the people, well, if you ask me, they are taking a pretty big chance. It’s like ridiculing the people themselves.

Historically, that sort of thing has led to people losing their heads.

Alana on November 4, 2010 at 10:55 AM

“Replacing them with hard news anchors, a la Shep or Bret Baier, really isn’t an option ; there’s no one on the news side of MSNBC with that kind of heft.”

“Heft”. “Hard news anchor”. Shep? Whaaaat?

ncjetsfan on November 4, 2010 at 11:29 AM

MSNBC needs to own its netroot nuttiness. The station for libtards and progressives!

Mr. Joe on November 4, 2010 at 11:41 AM

Errr… I’m pretty sure Shep is the one we would all vote off the island if we could…

stvnscott on November 4, 2010 at 11:53 AM

CHris Matthews was on Jon Stewart last night

Stewart commented on how professional FOX was in reporting the election and how much they smoked the other networks. Matthews was asked what makes the difference, his reply “we actually present the truth”

there was a clever little Chris Matthews response
I won’t be able to do justuce paraphazing
you’ll have to dig for that one

audiotom on November 4, 2010 at 1:55 PM

sorry

Jon Stewart interviewed chris wallace from Fox not Matthews

Chris Matthews on MCNBS had Michelle Bachman on where he proceeded to ask her “now that you have supoena powers do you indend to supoena democratic members…

I have to be careful how I say this “so pee na”

quite funny

start at 5:45

Wallace mentioned mainstream media being biased
stewart agreed and said “MSNBC made a mistake to attack Fox on it’s own field

Stewart goes on to comment on how Fox has been more professional – class act with clear objectives

a good assessment

audiotom on November 4, 2010 at 2:24 PM

To all of those upset about Delaware…

It is un-natural to call yourself conservative and love Mike Castle.

Mr. Joe on November 4, 2010 at 5:41 PM