Rubio’s acceptance speech

posted at 12:51 am on November 3, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

He was the first serious Tea Party candidate to rise to national attention, and now he will be one of the leaders in the new conservative movement in the GOP Senate caucus. Democrats feared his rise so much that the White House and Bill Clinton tried muscling their own candidate out of Rubio’s race in a shabby deal that essentially put Barack Obama in the role of the same sleazy back-room party leader that he demonized in his presidential campaign. If anyone deserves a victory lap tonight regardless of the content of his speech, it’s Marco Rubio, but as we have come to expect, Rubio really rose to the occasion:

Comments

Rubio/West 2012…!!!

Seven Percent Solution on November 3, 2010 at 12:53 AM

Magnificent.

publiuspen on November 3, 2010 at 12:53 AM

I LOVE this man.

barrythrowslikeagirl on November 3, 2010 at 12:54 AM

Will the last Democrat to leave Florida turn the lights off? Go green you know.

Rode Werk on November 3, 2010 at 12:54 AM

He keeps mentioning that no one say “Polo” at any of his speeches. I wonder why no one has done that yet.

Fizzmaister on November 3, 2010 at 12:54 AM

My favorite part of what Rubio said was as to the GOP, that tonight’s very big tsunami election for Republicans was not necessarily an indication of big support for the GOP but that the GOP had now to prove itself “anew”.

He’s right. Congratulations to Marco Rubio, who I’ve supported since he first declared his candidacy becuase he’s been consistently a good guy among a very messy landscacpe of nonsense and contrariness. The GOP “RINOs” should take Rubio’s remarks very, very seriously.

Lourdes on November 3, 2010 at 12:54 AM

I was moved by Marco Rubio speech tonight. A proud Conservative moment. I believe there are two camps regarding the Boehner speech and I know which camp I’m in (*hic*).

Marcus on November 3, 2010 at 12:56 AM

Rubio/West 2012…!!!

Seven Percent Solution on November 3, 2010 at 12:53 AM

UNFORTUNATELY, Rubio is not “natural born” as a U.S. citizen (he was born in Cuba).

Although now that that requirement has been trashed by Barack Obama, I guess anything goes as to the U.S. Constitution.

I agree that Rubio is great material for the White House but we should all keep those Constitutional requirements in mind, even if Obama and the Left (and many a RINO) think they’re tedious.

Lourdes on November 3, 2010 at 12:56 AM

Thanks for posting this, we tried to watch on three different stations and they all cut away. He’s the deal.

Cindy Munford on November 3, 2010 at 12:56 AM

I LOVE this man.

barrythrowslikeagirl on November 3, 2010 at 12:54 AM

Yes. He is a gem.

Lourdes on November 3, 2010 at 12:57 AM

Lourdes on November 3, 2010 at 12:56 AM

Nope, Senator-elect Rubio was born in Miami, Florida.

Cindy Munford on November 3, 2010 at 12:58 AM

Marco was also the only candidate I reached into my wallet for my credit card for, numerous times.

Marcus on November 3, 2010 at 12:59 AM

Classy, always

Schadenfreude on November 3, 2010 at 1:00 AM

HE KNOWS THE STORY WELL

GW_SS-Delta on November 3, 2010 at 1:01 AM

Lourdes on November 3, 2010 at 12:56 AM

“Rubio is the second son and third child of Cuban exiles Mario Rubio (1927–2010)[2] and Oria Garcia (born 1931), and was born in Miami, Florida.”

Asher on November 3, 2010 at 1:01 AM

Thank you for putting this up, Ed. Fox cut it off halfway.

Demosthenes on November 3, 2010 at 1:01 AM

Is a miracle happening in Kalifornia. On the NYT map it has Fiorina ahead of Boxer.

Yakko77 on November 3, 2010 at 1:01 AM

Lourdes on November 3, 2010 at 12:56 AM

Since when is Miami in Cuba?

huckleberryfriend on November 3, 2010 at 1:01 AM

Most feared man by Obama.

Schadenfreude on November 3, 2010 at 1:02 AM

Lourdes on November 3, 2010 at 12:56 AM

51st state

Schadenfreude on November 3, 2010 at 1:04 AM

On serious note Marco Antonio Rubio was born in Miami.

Schadenfreude on November 3, 2010 at 1:06 AM

New Reagan was born in Miami… Gosh He’s basically everything that Obama was supposed to be. Also, I love the fidgety children. Little kids should call out for daddy and bounce arouns

Illinidiva on November 3, 2010 at 1:06 AM

You have people like Rubio and Rand Paul…

And I got Al Franken….

F$*k!!

BigWyo on November 3, 2010 at 1:08 AM

Rubio/West 2012…!!!

Seven Percent Solution on November 3, 2010 at 12:53 AM

They’re both from Florida so they’ll have to take turns. I think Pres/Veep have to be from different states.

INC on November 3, 2010 at 1:11 AM

Look out Washington, Rubio is on his way!

TN Mom on November 3, 2010 at 1:11 AM

Hispanic Reagan

MyImamToldMeToDoIt on November 3, 2010 at 1:12 AM

Rick Scott needs to accuse Palm, Broward, and Dade of cheating. No reason they STILL haven’t finished their count! 6 hours later? Come on!

Zaggs on November 3, 2010 at 1:13 AM

Zaggs on November 3, 2010 at 1:13 AM

The land of hanging chads. Just great.

Cindy Munford on November 3, 2010 at 1:15 AM

Lourdes on November 3, 2010 at 12:56 AM
SO AS EVERYONE HAS SAID – HE WAS BORN IN FLORIDA. He is so good looking and so bright “and clean and articulate” and I’d love to see his profile on mt rushmore.
I also thought Boehner’s talk was great. I loved that he could think of how hard his life has been and cry. I guess he will be criticized like Beck.

Bambi on November 3, 2010 at 1:17 AM

I think this is the victory that scares the heck out of Obama the most.

And it should.

Y-not on November 3, 2010 at 1:17 AM

The land of hanging chads. Just great.

Cindy Munford

Dade finally went to 100%, but of course Scott’s lead shrank. He’s only up by 72007 now. Palm still stuck on stupid at 87% and Broward still at 98%.
This is BS.

Zaggs on November 3, 2010 at 1:19 AM

Powerful speech…

d1carter on November 3, 2010 at 1:20 AM

Zaggs on November 3, 2010 at 1:19 AM

Fingers crossed for the win.

Cindy Munford on November 3, 2010 at 1:23 AM

What was that bit at the end from Obama?? I did not need to see that smirk, tonight of all nights.

Rosmerta on November 3, 2010 at 1:26 AM

Fingers crossed for the win.

Cindy Munford

Got a bad feeling Palm beach officials will steal it for Sink. Only big blue county amazingly over 40% in turn out and breaking 58-39 for Sink. I smell a major rat.

Zaggs on November 3, 2010 at 1:27 AM

…and if we hadn’t had any other good news tonight, at all, Rubio’s win alone would almost have been enough.

OK, no, it wouldn’t. But it was huge and I’m so happy for him and his beautiful family. And for the people of Florida … and the USA.

Rosmerta on November 3, 2010 at 1:30 AM

Rosmerta on November 3, 2010 at 1:30 AM

I can’t think of another race I would have traded for this one. As I said he was the only one candidate I dug deep into my pockets for (I don’t live in Florida) and I would have been crushed with Charlie Crist.

Marcus on November 3, 2010 at 1:33 AM

Marcus

I live in Florida and I made matching donations to Rubio and Meek just off of principle alone.

Zaggs on November 3, 2010 at 1:36 AM

Rubio’s campaign was flawless. I never saw him do one interview where he wasn’t articulate and he was never flustered. I could barely even watch interviews with Angle or O’Donnell. Although I wanted them to win, Rubio in the (L) column would have been a travesty, a shame.

Marcus on November 3, 2010 at 1:50 AM

Rubio was born in Miami Florida not Cuba in 1971. His parents came from Cuba but Marco was born right here. He is such a good speaker and has strong convictions that he truly is a rising star.

If I could only win one Senate seat of new people running, I would have wanted Rubio.

PhiKapMom on November 3, 2010 at 2:20 AM

I was proud to cast my ballot for this man.

sdm

stvdog on November 3, 2010 at 2:21 AM

Rubio/West 2012…!!!

Seven Percent Solution on November 3, 2010 at 12:53 AM

Cristie/Rubio 2012

kscheuller on November 3, 2010 at 3:05 AM

Hang on tight…the Obama Regime & their partners in the media are going to go after Marco Rubio in a very serious way. This is the man they fear the most. They should.

redwhiteblue on November 3, 2010 at 3:20 AM

Sick to have Obama blasted right at the end of a beautiful speech. Congratulations to our new Senator Elect.

Buckeye Babe on November 3, 2010 at 4:00 AM

Rubio/West 2012…!!!

Seven Percent Solution on November 3, 2010 at 12:53 AM

Lourdes on November 3, 2010 at 12:56 AM

Oy with the birther crud. Give it up already.

But as for Rubio running for POTUS, I mean dear gawd, he hasn’t done anything yet except win the election! Let’s see how he does in the Senate and which way his votes go before we start touting him as the next great Republican hope.

That position changes monthly…Palin, Rubio, Jindal, Christie, etc etc.

JetBoy on November 3, 2010 at 4:43 AM

Rubio/West 2012…!!!

Seven Percent Solution on November 3, 2010 at 12:53 AM

Ahem, Kasich/Rubio ’20. Give them some time to develop and focus on big state executives first, or are we no better than the liberals rushing legislators to the highest executive office after 2 years.

jarodea on November 3, 2010 at 5:16 AM

Marco Rubio…a class act. Real class. All the way.

coldwarrior on November 3, 2010 at 5:43 AM

If he stays true to himself, Marco Rubio’s going to make a hell of a President someday.

At his age, with the way people tend to age slower with each passing generation, he can be there any time by 2020 at the earliest but also still in fighting trim in 2024, 2028, 2032.

The horizon, for now, seems endless for this guy.

I wouldn’t push for 2016, he’s got to have time to build as a national figure. I’d only say 2016 if he’s risen to JFK in 1960 like stature by then and has a resume as “The Man” in the Senate, but, then again, right now, The Force seems strong in this one…

Time will tell.

I think he’s just been added to that list of “People who scare the crap out of the DNC” tonight though.

Jindal’s been mentioned and he’s sort of a stealth pick. He goes two terms and becomes a national figure, he’ll be good pick too. Haley could become a big gun too.

Seems like we’ve got a lot of good young (in political years and age) talent in the GOP.

Our stars are young, the Dems stars are either fading or dying off (happens when people reach their 80′s and 90′s) and you take a look at their alleged “deep bench” and you realize THEY are the ones lacking “Super Stars”.

Obama? One Hit Wonder.

The Clintons won’t be around forever and they’re already losing their mojo.

The Kennedy name is toxic even in New England these days.

The oft touted “Star Power”, as the chattering class likes to call it, is all in the GOP now.

We’re going to have to fight twice as hard to get it to the top (old power never goes without one last barrage of sleaze- look no further than Alaska) but we can do this. We have the people who can get us there.

We just have to be patient, stay true to our principles, out work and out fight the other guys and we’ll get there.

The future suddenly looks much brighter…

SuperCool on November 3, 2010 at 5:48 AM

JetBoy on November 3, 2010 at 4:43 AM

Sound bitter.

hawkdriver on November 3, 2010 at 6:24 AM

fear the rube….

heh

congrats marco!!

cmsinaz on November 3, 2010 at 7:00 AM

Good morning hotair! FL delivered last night and Rick Scott narrowly won! I cried listening to Rubio’s speech. It will be a tragedy if he’s not the VP in 2012. Very mad that amendment 5 + 6 passed. Now the dems will litigate the new map; still they’ll at best pick up a couple seats next time around. Almost all of FL remains solidly Red but S. Florida, Orlando, Tampa.

TimTebowSavesAmerica on November 3, 2010 at 7:44 AM

Sound bitter.

hawkdriver on November 3, 2010 at 6:24 AM

Exactly where in my comment do I sound “bitter”?

JetBoy on November 3, 2010 at 7:44 AM

How ’bout Ohio and Pa!!!!!!!!!

ohiobabe on November 3, 2010 at 7:45 AM

How ’bout my Nikki Haley!!! :)
Damn, it feels good this morning….except for f’ing Harry Reid. Nevada sucks.

CambellBrown on November 3, 2010 at 7:58 AM

JetBoy on November 3, 2010 at 4:43 AM

Agreed! Let’s let him do the job he was elected for before talking about POTUS possibilities.

However, if we were to roll the way back machine to 2004, and replace “Rubio” with “Obama” in your statement above, would you share the same sentiment?

DOOF on November 3, 2010 at 8:04 AM

That position changes monthly…Palin, Rubio, Jindal, Christie, etc etc.

JetBoy on November 3, 2010 at 4:43 AM

The good news is that there are 5 or 6 really good options for the POTUS run.

Bradky on November 3, 2010 at 8:04 AM

Damn, it feels good this morning….except for f’ing Harry Reid. Nevada sucks.

CambellBrown on November 3, 2010 at 7:58 AM
My feelings also until I remembered that this is only the beginning for us…Kirk taking Ill. has to be another smack in obama’s face.

ohiobabe on November 3, 2010 at 8:05 AM

I cannot wait to show this video to my children!
As teenagers they do not see enough examples of true patriotism and love of this amazing country (hearing it from mom or dad, is not the same)

They will see and hear tonight. My 16 yr old is gonna need some tissues… like mother like daughter!

FLKraKa on November 3, 2010 at 8:07 AM

You say that so authoritatively, some people might think it’s true. Rubio’s parent’s came to the US in 1959. That’s 50+ years ago. He is 38. He was born in the US and eligible to be President if the public entrusts him to that office.

That is all.

eaglephin on November 3, 2010 at 8:42 AM

Added Bonus: Mrs. Rubio…..yowzir

Spider79 on November 3, 2010 at 8:58 AM

Since when is Miami in Cuba?

huckleberryfriend on November 3, 2010 at 1:01 AM

Been to Miami lately? (I keed.)

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on November 3, 2010 at 8:59 AM

Love it! He truly feels the pulse of the people. It is a second chance for the Republican Party. For the first time, I pollwatched here in Illinois for Joe Walsh. He’s ahead of Melissa Bean, but too close to call. It felt great to be part of the process. I urge everyone to volunteer next time around. We need to keep the integrity of the vote.

Cpoy2 on November 3, 2010 at 9:32 AM

Be careful Mr. Rubio, the Left is coming after you.

Cindy Munford on November 3, 2010 at 9:41 AM

Can you lose the ‘duh’ now?

tarpon on November 3, 2010 at 9:55 AM

Classy speech indeed. I wonder though, if Senator-elect Rubio realizes, when he says he is proud to be a member of a community of exiles, that he is describing all Americans.

As for people not saying “Polo” when they chant “Marco”, the reason they don’t is that from now on, the proper response to “Marco” is “Rubio”.

RebeccaH on November 3, 2010 at 12:25 PM

Great speech. The closing was beautiful.

chipandcharge on November 3, 2010 at 12:39 PM

Wow. I am really a Marco Rubio fan.

ted c on November 3, 2010 at 2:37 PM