Barney Frank: I’m a victim of the media!

posted at 1:35 pm on November 3, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Didn’t Barney Frank win his race?  In this train wreck of a victory speech, Frank spent more time attacking the media and his opponent, Sean Bielat, than most losing candidates do in conceding their races.  Its closest analogue, in my recollection, is Richard Nixon’s ultimately premature “You won’t have Dick Nixon to kick around anymore” valediction in 1962, after losing the California gubernatorial election.  Frank gripes about Fox News, the Boston Herald, and the victimization of his significant other James Ready after Ready started popping up at Bielat events like an annoying paparazzo.  Guess what Frank blames for coverage of Ready’s odd decision to suddenly take up photojournalism? Three guesses and the first two don’t count:

Update: A good question from the comments: do I actually expect readers to sit through 10 minutes of Barney Frank?  Heck, when this got sent to me, I didn’t expect me to sit through it all, either.  Once it gets started, it has a certain train-wreck quality to it that kept me hanging on until it finished.  It’s a bit like watching Battlefield Earth all the way through to see if it actually gets worse, and in both cases, yes it does.

Update II: Howie Carr at the Boston Herald reminds Frank not to pick fights with people who buy ink by the barrel or pixels by the terabyte:

Now, we know one of Barney’s big problems with this newspaper is that reporter Dave Wedge videotaped his partner, James Dude Ready, giving the needle to Sean Bielat after a debate a couple of weeks ago. Wedge rolled tape. In Barney’s world this is bias and vitriol.

See, no one is supposed to say anything about Barney. Certainly the Globe treats him with kid gloves. For example, he’s present at a house in Maine with marijuana plants growing, but he doesn’t know what marijuana looks like. He used to live with a male prostitute named Hot Bottom, but you can’t mention that either, because it’s homophobia. And then there was Barney’s former partner, Herb Moses, who made a six-figure salary at Fannie or Freddie – I can never remember which.

Personally, I thought a defeat yesterday would have been great for Barney. At age 70, it would have given him a chance to do something he hasn’t done since he was 18.

Work at a real job.

No kidding, I’ll bet you thought he’d never had a real job. But this was an added bonus of the Bielat campaign — we learned more about Barney’s briefest of careers in the working world. See, he had to put out a campaign biography in which he claimed he once worked in what was called in the Eisenhower era a “filling station.”

You want to talk irrelevant? How about an over-the-hill back-bencher whose district is just crying out to be eliminated in the upcoming redistricting?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Massachusetts, you deserve this. You blue dumba$$es, you own him, he is you. Nice work.

ted c on November 3, 2010 at 1:38 PM

Do you actually think we are going to sit through and listen to Fwank for over 10 minutes?

right2bright on November 3, 2010 at 1:38 PM

Sad. One of the architects of our economic meltdown got reelected. Cannot win them all, I guess…

unclesmrgol on November 3, 2010 at 1:39 PM

What if he had lost?

mwbri on November 3, 2010 at 1:39 PM

Yep, you vote for him…you deserve him. What a maroon.

search4truth on November 3, 2010 at 1:40 PM

Thanks, MA…really. I mean it.

Did Scott Brown campaign with/for Bielat at all? I know that district voted for him.

changer1701 on November 3, 2010 at 1:40 PM

I suppose I should be happy as a California that this asshat is ruining the lives of his constituency in Mass. Wonder if they have buyer’s remorse BUT if you break it you buy it.

Defector01 on November 3, 2010 at 1:41 PM

Barney, you are not a damsel and the media has been your friend. Man up ffs.

upinak on November 3, 2010 at 1:41 PM

changer1701 on November 3, 2010 at 1:40 PM

maybe the truck broke down in DC….because…*cricket cricket* I ain’t heared nothin’ from Scotty B.

ted c on November 3, 2010 at 1:42 PM

Are the Republicans ready to finally “Gingrich” him and make him the face of Democrats?

Marcus on November 3, 2010 at 1:42 PM

Unhinged…Mass sure knows how to pick’em. Scott Brown’s days are numbered. All hail Barney’s Frank!

cartooner on November 3, 2010 at 1:42 PM

MA can have him. They deserve him. They are him.

FlatFoot on November 3, 2010 at 1:43 PM

right2bright on November 3, 2010 at 1:38 PM

Thankfully Ed gave us the CliffNotes.

landshark on November 3, 2010 at 1:43 PM

Who put the Peanut butter on the roof of Barney’s Mouth?

He always reminds me of Buddy Hackett, except without the humor.

portlandon on November 3, 2010 at 1:43 PM

Barney thinks the press kept pounding him?

bloggless on November 3, 2010 at 1:43 PM

Our work is not done.

trigon on November 3, 2010 at 1:43 PM

Sad. One of the architects of our economic meltdown got reelected.

unclesmrgol on November 3, 2010 at 1:39 PM

Add Andrew Cuomo of NY to the list. Admittedly, his competition was in major meltdown mode, but voters certainly had a very good alternative to Frank in Sean Bielat.

jwolf on November 3, 2010 at 1:43 PM

Yeah, Scotty B will get zero support from the rest of the country in his next election.

Elephants have long memories.

beatcanvas on November 3, 2010 at 1:44 PM

I really hope Bielat tries again in 2012.

Rebar on November 3, 2010 at 1:45 PM

Well duh, course he’s mad, the peasants thought they were his boss there for a bit, can’t have that.

clearbluesky on November 3, 2010 at 1:45 PM

This POS over a war hero? Seriously, Mass.?

rbj on November 3, 2010 at 1:46 PM

He is a very sad man.

myrenovations on November 3, 2010 at 1:46 PM

I have a good conservative friend in MA, who spent his whole life waiting for a night like last night, hoping against hope that MA voters might get their heads out of their asses.
I think he was consoled by how well we did in the rest of the country, and of course the booze. :) But MA is a lost cause, like CA.

CambellBrown on November 3, 2010 at 1:47 PM

ted c on November 3, 2010 at 1:42 PM

Yes. He was here and campaigned with him for a bit.

Rod on November 3, 2010 at 1:48 PM

jwolf on November 3, 2010 at 1:43 PM

The more I think about this, the more I realize that Cuomo was going to win no matter what. Even if Paladino had run a perfect campaign, I think 44% was his ceiling.

Cuomo was the heir to the governorship, the media was 110% behind him, and he didn’t have to primary David Paterson.

Sucks, but I think that’s how it goes.

KingGold on November 3, 2010 at 1:49 PM

Pathetic.

Claypigeon on November 3, 2010 at 1:49 PM

Sorry, I’ve lost the paltry amount of respect I had for Democrats over the last 21 months and won’t even listen to them anymore. Politicians of both parties suck but the Democrats seem to have the setting on TURBOSUCK.

Won’t listen to Frank……

……and his constituents are just DUMBASDIRT Democrats.

PappyD61 on November 3, 2010 at 1:49 PM

Elephants have long memories.

beatcanvas on November 3, 2010 at 1:44 PM

What are you talking about?

Rod on November 3, 2010 at 1:50 PM

I hope he’s just laying the groundwork for his resignation after he becomes just one of the 435 come January.

Patrick S on November 3, 2010 at 1:52 PM

Yes. He was here and campaigned with him for a bit.

Rod on November 3, 2010 at 1:48 PM

my bad. thanks.

ted c on November 3, 2010 at 1:52 PM

I refuse to visit MA, buy any products produced there and will drive 500 miles around it to avoid driving through it, until this slug is no longer making decisions affecting my life.

belad on November 3, 2010 at 1:53 PM

Did he whine “Stop interrupting me!” 5 times in the presser?

I’m going to love it if Issa targets Bawney for some of his under-the-table dealings with Freddie, Fannie, the bank he bailed out for Maxine Waters, etc.

teke184 on November 3, 2010 at 1:54 PM

Howie Carr is a must-read today.

crazy_legs on November 3, 2010 at 1:54 PM

Good grief, he blamed Republicans all the way back to 1961!

RushBaby on November 3, 2010 at 1:54 PM

I’d rather watch Battlefield Earth.

I saw the video of Grayscum blaming gerrymandering on his loss. Any other highlights from Democrat sore losers? Anything from Feingold, Hare, Ciro Rodriguez, etc.?

catmman on November 3, 2010 at 1:54 PM

Sean Bielet is a good man…I just can’t wrap my brain around how anyone voted for Frank over Sean. :(

All I can say is…..term limits people…term limits.

tencole on November 3, 2010 at 1:54 PM

When did the Dems love me forever, and anyone that will listen to me?

This phone call from a State Senator friend of our family called us/me on the night that they signed the OBAMACARE takeover and left a voicemail. The tone and the words in the voicemail….he said “I just wanted to call and let you know we’ll be able to take care of your kids healthcare now“.

The smugness that THEY would be able to take care of YOUR kids healthcare……..I’ve not spoken to him since.

I doubt I’ll ever vote for a Democrat again.

Republicans be on notice you could be next.

PappyD61 on November 3, 2010 at 1:56 PM

Geeze, Obama, like Fwanks, is on the blame game

Kini on November 3, 2010 at 1:57 PM

When did the Dems love LOSE me forever, and anyone that will listen to me?

:-)

PappyD61 on November 3, 2010 at 1:57 PM

I saw the video of Grayscum blaming gerrymandering on his loss.

catmman on November 3, 2010 at 1:54 PM

Frank brought that up in this video, too “republicans invented gerrymandering”.

Look for Evil Gerrymandering to be a huge talking point from the left!

RushBaby on November 3, 2010 at 1:57 PM

Howie Carr is a must-read today.

crazy_legs on November 3, 2010 at 1:54 PM

You’re right, that was good.

catmman on November 3, 2010 at 1:58 PM

Scott Brown better wake up to his role in keeping this State F’ing totally insane!

When people here are doing things like this, you better wake up fast. All the signs behind Scott’s old sign in this photo I snapped this AM are republicans.

I couldn’t believe my eyes. I did I u-turn and snapped the Pic. If he thinks the things he’s done have helped him position himself for re-election in 012 he’s stoned out of his mind.

TheBigOldDog on November 3, 2010 at 1:59 PM

Bawney “Tapioca Throat” Fwank.

I’ve never seen a sore winner before. A real class act Massachusetts… good job.

FlatFoot on November 3, 2010 at 1:59 PM

A trivial dismal man.

Akzed on November 3, 2010 at 2:03 PM

Blaming the media. Where have I heard that before?

rjl1999 on November 3, 2010 at 2:04 PM

Welcome to Hell, Barney.

You lost your Chairmanship.
You can’t bully the big banks or the small ones anymore. You can’t let ACORN write your bills for you.
You won’t get any money for any more public housing for those dear poor people you keep telling us you care about.
Your gay friends at Fannie Mae are going to lose their phony-baloney jobs.
You won’t be on the front page of American Banker every time you take a crap.
You won’t be invited to speak at the fancy Financial Services Roundtable meetings at the 5-star hotels anymore.

And you’re going to have to sit and watch while Spencer Bachus repeals half of your stupid financial reform bill and shuts down HUD.

Sucks to be you.

rockmom on November 3, 2010 at 2:04 PM

I’m still not wasting over 10 minutes of my life listening to this tool.

ChristianRock on November 3, 2010 at 2:05 PM

Good grief, he blamed Republicans all the way back to 1961!

RushBaby on November 3, 2010 at 1:54 PM

Gerry mandering existed all the way back to 1812. It’s a combination of 2 words, “elbridge gerry” (5th VP of the US), and salamander. Which is how the papers described a district he, well, gerrymandered for himself in MA.

lorien1973 on November 3, 2010 at 2:05 PM

Who allowed that boy to stand between Bawney and his current squeaze?

Akzed on November 3, 2010 at 2:05 PM

Ah, to be oblivious to the truth… both Frank and his voters.

sadatoni on November 3, 2010 at 2:08 PM

People are now correctly laying the economic meltdown at his feet and he doesn’t like it.

dogsoldier on November 3, 2010 at 2:09 PM

lorien1973 on November 3, 2010 at 2:05 PM

Very interesting.

carbon_footprint on November 3, 2010 at 2:09 PM

I have never truly understood Frank, Teddy, Kerry, etc. I have known numerous people from Boston over the years and they are all at least semi-conservative. They hate Frank, Teddy, and John F’n Kerry(who served in Viet Nam).

The only explanation is unions. None of my friends are union guys.

jeffn21 on November 3, 2010 at 2:09 PM

Well… It certainly didn’t take long for Bawney to go from newly minted nice guy back to the old mean guy. And I use the term ‘guy’ loosely.

stvnscott on November 3, 2010 at 2:09 PM

And the hits just keep on coming!!

I do wonder though… now that the GOP has taken the majority, does this mean that Ron Paul will now take over Frank’s role as Chairman of the Financial Services committee?

JohnGalt23 on November 3, 2010 at 2:13 PM

Liberalism is a mental disorder – thanks for the proof, Frank.

journeyscarab on November 3, 2010 at 2:16 PM

Perhaps we need to encourage MA and CA to secede.

My collie says:

More like sell MA to Quebec and pay Mexico to take CA back.

CyberCipher on November 3, 2010 at 2:17 PM

If so, prepare for an audit of the Fed.

teke184 on November 3, 2010 at 2:17 PM

Barney, you are not a damsel and the media has been your friend. Man up ffs.

upinak on November 3, 2010 at 1:41 PM

Can you be sure?

unclesmrgol on November 3, 2010 at 2:21 PM

lorien1973 on November 3, 2010 at 2:05 PM

Thanks! I love stuff like that.

RushBaby on November 3, 2010 at 2:21 PM

Personally, I am glad Bwaney got re-elected. He has done more to get Conservatives elected around the country than any Republican ever did.

cat-scratch on November 3, 2010 at 2:25 PM

I hope they make life hell for you Fwanks.

Kini on November 3, 2010 at 2:27 PM

Why does Barneys constituents hate America, the housing market, and why do they want to be accomplices to Americas demise?

capejasmine on November 3, 2010 at 2:30 PM

Rep. Franks, you are the opposite of grace and class.

Mr. Joe on November 3, 2010 at 2:34 PM

he is you. Nice work.

ted c on November 3, 2010 at 1:38 PM

MA-I am truly sorry to say this, but like CA, you STINK.
What a PIT you have been.
Well, that just goes to show you that some states, like people, are just nicer to be around than others.
I like living in a state where people actually think.
Now not all my fellow North Dakotans can be accused of being heavy thinkers, but a larger majority of them are compared to the numbers I’ve come across in states like CA, WA, & OR.
Good luck you saps.
The rest of you, maybe wanna think about gettin’ the heck outta Dodge.
It’s only gonna get worse.

Badger40 on November 3, 2010 at 2:35 PM

Practical Irrelevance – you defined it Bawney
You’re right, we will defund your mess

Kini on November 3, 2010 at 2:36 PM

at least he will lose his chairmanship! And I still don’t think he has any teeth.

ultracon on November 3, 2010 at 2:37 PM

The only explanation is unions. None of my friends are union guys.

jeffn21 on November 3, 2010 at 2:09 PM

You know I’m beginning to wonder. I cannot understand how it is possible that anyone would want to keep electing garbage like this.
These people are outrageously corrupt.
And when you expose them, the media is often helping them bury it by glossing over everything.
Is it fraud or are people REALLY THAT STUPID?!?!

Badger40 on November 3, 2010 at 2:38 PM

The people of both MA and CA absolutely confound me.

Mavs00 on November 3, 2010 at 2:39 PM

NO. I. Don’t.

I’ve voted against this guy in every election since I turned 18. I moved out of his district and into Jim McGovern’s and have voted against McGovern ever since.

Conservatives and Republicans in Mass. are reduced to vicariously enjoying the victories in other races around the country. Pray for us.

EA_MAN on November 3, 2010 at 2:42 PM

He may have won again but I’ll bet his seat still isn’t safe

David in ATL on November 3, 2010 at 2:42 PM

The people of both MA and CA absolutely confound me.

Mavs00 on November 3, 2010 at 2:39 PM

..as they do me — and I live in the Golden Leaden State.

But as for Bawney, cheer up you old f*iry, you get to do it all over again in 729 days.

The War Planner on November 3, 2010 at 2:44 PM

EA_MAN on November 3, 2010 at 2:42 PM

I hear you, bro’!

The War Planner on November 3, 2010 at 2:45 PM

Of course he’s pissy and whiney this morning. He’ll no longer be chariman of Financial Services Committee. You think he’s going to enjoy sitting in committee as a rank and file member?

That’s a rhetorical question by the way.

dczombie on November 3, 2010 at 2:47 PM

How this low-life is still in office is beyond me. What the hell is wrong with his constituents?

Richard Romano on November 3, 2010 at 2:55 PM

Drudge had a new headline — “Big New Pump”. I thought they were talking about Barney until I read the article.

unclesmrgol on November 3, 2010 at 2:57 PM

Well we in MA did one thing right: we eliminated the new sales tax on alchohol (there is already a state excise tax so the sales tax was double taxation).

Understand that the two largest parts of Barney’s district is Brookline and Newton. Mostly populated by people with trust funds, limosine liberals, acedemics connected to many of the area’s higher education. Unfortunately these people are too smart for their own good. Their sense of entitlement is sky high.

Rich on November 3, 2010 at 2:57 PM

He may have won again but I’ll bet his seat still isn’t safe

David in ATL on November 3, 2010 at 2:42 PM

+10

unclesmrgol on November 3, 2010 at 2:58 PM

No, we are victims of Barney Franks excesses with Fanny and Freddy.

He should have stuck with his room mates male prostitution business. We would all be better off.

The Rock on November 3, 2010 at 3:02 PM

HEY HOTAIR COMMENTERS! FRANK ACCEPTANCE SPEECH GOT YOU DOWN! REMEMBER: THE NUT GRAYSON IS GONE!

shick on November 3, 2010 at 3:06 PM

Who put the Peanut butter on the roof of Barney’s Mouth?

That’s not peanut butter…

realitycheck on November 3, 2010 at 3:08 PM

“It’s a bit like watching Battlefield Earth all the way through to see if it actually gets worse, and in both cases, yes it does.”

Thanks very much, I’ll take your word for it. At my age, time is precious, so I don’t have to waste it watching Bwarney “Precious” Fwank. You also mention

“marijuana plants” growing”, “He used to live with a male prostitute named Hot Bottom”, “And then there was Barney’s former partner, Herb Moses, who made a six-figure salary at Fannie or Freddie – I can never remember which”.

Neither can I. Was Hot Bottom the one one who was operating a sodomite brothel across from the Capital? And Bwarney working at a “filling station” just about had me falling out of my chair. Gasoline station, or am I being presumptuous?

oldleprechaun on November 3, 2010 at 3:11 PM

As with all Democrats, his base is comprised of government unions like SEIU, government workers who also live off of private workers, and all the associated staff who provide government-related services.

The only real answer is to start firing government employees and consultants. When the ex-government workers start to realize they are the host–instead of the parasite–their attitudes will inevitably change.

iconoclast on November 3, 2010 at 3:14 PM

It was too much to expect that Mass. district to dispose of Bannie. They like their position too much. They deserve to live in their H.P. Lovecraft world, but without inflicting it on others.

Sean Bielat was a good candidate and a good man. The voters of his district are the sad-sacks.

Feedie on November 3, 2010 at 3:23 PM

The people of both MA and CA absolutely confound me.

Mavs00 on November 3, 2010 at 2:39 PM

I’ll add Nevada and Alaska to that list.

csdeven on November 3, 2010 at 3:28 PM

Ed,
At least “Battlefield Earth” has some integrity. At least more than this schlump.

codekeyguy on November 3, 2010 at 3:35 PM

Oh, that Barney Frank…always such a drama queen.

Kevin71 on November 3, 2010 at 3:35 PM

Of course, what he meant to say was that he WAS the filling station.

tbear44 on November 3, 2010 at 3:38 PM

The only explanation is unions. None of my friends are union guys.

jeffn21 on November 3, 2010 at 2:09 PM

It’s all about money. Too many people here (and presumably CA) have become dependent on the State for some part of their living. The just about outnumber the people pulling the wagon at this point.

You’ve got the Public Sector Unions who pour millions into the campaigns of the Democrats and provide the street muscle. They are bought and paid for and their numbers rival private sector employees at this point. Now, include their families because they vote to protect their family member(s).

You have the private sector unions who, like the public sector unions, are bought and paid for. Again, add their immediate families.

You have the welfare recipients who receive most of their living from the State.

As conditions worsen here more and more private companies flee. Even companies like Fidelity who were born and raised right here have largely fled the State.

Now, you have desperate people dependent on the government as their only option for a decent life.

These people aren’t smart enough to realize they have created a death spiral. All they care about is protecting their own source of money and they happily fight over the crumbs left over.

Is it wasn’t for MIT, Harvard, BC, BU, NU, Tufts, etc., this state would have died long ago. But, even as the talent, inventions and companies that spring from these universities provide new opportunities they are short lived because as soon as they gain some real traction they move out becuase conditions here are not conducive for long term success.

Massachusetts is lost. Scott Brown was the last hope. People did the impossible and put him in office where his first acts were to betray them. That was made clear to me this morning when I saw that old Scott Brown sign with the No symbol drawn through it alongside supportive signs for every Republican running. His seeming betrayal caused people to throw up their hands and say F it!

I love this area. I was born and raised here. I have a visceral love for the area that I haven’t found anywhere else in the world. But, you know what? I can’t let my children become attached to this place and maybe it’s time we move along to a place where the ideals of America still exist and people truly prefer to live free or die.

TheBigOldDog on November 3, 2010 at 3:43 PM

Barney’s pissed because he had to spend $200K OF HIS OWN MONEY on his reelection.

GarandFan on November 3, 2010 at 3:44 PM

If Barney would have lost I would have bought everyone here a round. Now I just want to put a round in my head. (kidding btw)

watson007 on November 3, 2010 at 3:48 PM

GarandFan on November 3, 2010 at 3:44 PM

Barn can pay himself back in a month with after-election fundraising. He’s probably already calling his usual victims in the financial business reminding him that while he might not chair his old assignments, he will be the opposition chair.

slickwillie2001 on November 3, 2010 at 3:50 PM

Didn’t Barney Frank win his race?

Yeah, but remember he had to take 200G out of his -Gasp!- own pocket in order to win. Remember, this is the guy who pulled the “Do you know who I am?” card to get out of paying an extra $1.00 for a ferry ride.

RadClown on November 3, 2010 at 4:04 PM

For those of you who can’t or won’t listen to what Rep. Franks said, here’s a quick version:

“Wet me stawt by congwajuwating myself. Wet me also add that a wot of weawwy, weawwy mean people twied to pwevent me fwom winning wast night..”

The rest of the audio was incomprehensible due to moisture build up in the microphone.

TugboatPhil on November 3, 2010 at 4:07 PM

Proof of the “value” of a college degree? I have college grad friends in Boston who are actually happy with how things turned out for them yesterday. Plenty of them.

Del Dolemonte on November 3, 2010 at 4:12 PM

Frank brought that up in this video, too “republicans invented gerrymandering”.

Look for Evil Gerrymandering to be a huge talking point from the left!

RushBaby on November 3, 2010 at 1:57 PM

There they go again. Gerrymandering goes back to 1812 (Before the Party of Lincoln existed), Massachusetts, the Democrat-Republican party (which is arguably the older name of the Democrats).

LarryD on November 3, 2010 at 4:14 PM

Mind Blower for sure! Proves you can do just about anything and get away with it.

Irenaeus on November 3, 2010 at 4:14 PM

Massachusetts is lost.

TheBigOldDog on November 3, 2010 at 3:43 PM

This is so very sad. I heard stories like yours on the radio. People said they love the place and grew up there, but couldn’t take it any more. I feel the same way about California, but we are tyrannized by the cities and the coastal strip. Nevada is in a similar fix — it’s rural vs. urban.

Feedie on November 3, 2010 at 4:19 PM