Barney Frank: I’m a victim of the media!

posted at 1:35 pm on November 3, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Didn’t Barney Frank win his race?  In this train wreck of a victory speech, Frank spent more time attacking the media and his opponent, Sean Bielat, than most losing candidates do in conceding their races.  Its closest analogue, in my recollection, is Richard Nixon’s ultimately premature “You won’t have Dick Nixon to kick around anymore” valediction in 1962, after losing the California gubernatorial election.  Frank gripes about Fox News, the Boston Herald, and the victimization of his significant other James Ready after Ready started popping up at Bielat events like an annoying paparazzo.  Guess what Frank blames for coverage of Ready’s odd decision to suddenly take up photojournalism? Three guesses and the first two don’t count:

Update: A good question from the comments: do I actually expect readers to sit through 10 minutes of Barney Frank?  Heck, when this got sent to me, I didn’t expect me to sit through it all, either.  Once it gets started, it has a certain train-wreck quality to it that kept me hanging on until it finished.  It’s a bit like watching Battlefield Earth all the way through to see if it actually gets worse, and in both cases, yes it does.

Update II: Howie Carr at the Boston Herald reminds Frank not to pick fights with people who buy ink by the barrel or pixels by the terabyte:

Now, we know one of Barney’s big problems with this newspaper is that reporter Dave Wedge videotaped his partner, James Dude Ready, giving the needle to Sean Bielat after a debate a couple of weeks ago. Wedge rolled tape. In Barney’s world this is bias and vitriol.

See, no one is supposed to say anything about Barney. Certainly the Globe treats him with kid gloves. For example, he’s present at a house in Maine with marijuana plants growing, but he doesn’t know what marijuana looks like. He used to live with a male prostitute named Hot Bottom, but you can’t mention that either, because it’s homophobia. And then there was Barney’s former partner, Herb Moses, who made a six-figure salary at Fannie or Freddie – I can never remember which.

Personally, I thought a defeat yesterday would have been great for Barney. At age 70, it would have given him a chance to do something he hasn’t done since he was 18.

Work at a real job.

No kidding, I’ll bet you thought he’d never had a real job. But this was an added bonus of the Bielat campaign — we learned more about Barney’s briefest of careers in the working world. See, he had to put out a campaign biography in which he claimed he once worked in what was called in the Eisenhower era a “filling station.”

You want to talk irrelevant? How about an over-the-hill back-bencher whose district is just crying out to be eliminated in the upcoming redistricting?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I know it would be kind of hard, but I wish someone would convince republican leaders in the house to do away with all pork projects for the next 2yrs. A lot of dems keep getting elected because of the pork they bring home…NO PORK=NO VOTES.

BruceB on November 3, 2010 at 4:48 PM

Curly Howard: “I’m a victim o’ coicumstance!”

mojo on November 3, 2010 at 4:59 PM

Best takeaway line:

Oh yeah!

44Magnum on November 3, 2010 at 5:13 PM

Lets try that again.

Best takeawy line:

Oh yeah!

44Magnum on November 3, 2010 at 5:15 PM

He’s the victim of a double cheeseburger.

faol on November 3, 2010 at 5:23 PM

Is it final yet that MA will lose a seat as a result of the new census? Be sweet if we could make that Banny’s seat. Sorry Ban, it’s Obama’s census results.

slickwillie2001 on November 3, 2010 at 5:48 PM

FM HOUSING IMPLOSION x (Tanked Economy)
+ BARNEY FRANK = RE-ELECTION

There’s a good solid F

The correct answer to the equation is IMPRISONMENT.

tigerlily on November 3, 2010 at 6:09 PM

It looks and sounds like he left his plastic teeth at home.

Does he have some important gumming to do immediately after the presser?

MSimon on November 3, 2010 at 6:34 PM

If I were a voter in Barney Frank’s district, I would be too embarrassed to show my face in public after this “victory” speech. He must have been panic-toking throughout the election, and was still floating when he made that speech.

Not to mention that it would be hard for me to take seriously an old man who spits into the microphone when he speaks.

RebeccaH on November 3, 2010 at 7:08 PM

Suddenly, he’s Mr. Civility?

If he doesn’t like the Boston Herald and Fox News he doesn’t have to read and watch them. If he wants to gag businesses, he ought to be willing to let go of his union support.

I’m really getting sick of this equation of fiscal control with wrecking the jobs of teachers and firefighters.

BTW, has he married Jim? If not, when is he going to make an honest gay man out of him?

flataffect on November 3, 2010 at 7:14 PM

RebeccaH on November 3, 2010 at 7:08 PM

There is a distinct lack of shame in this society. It was replaced by a stick-in-your-eye mentality. We are living through a moral inversion.

Feedie on November 3, 2010 at 7:24 PM

Suck it up and take it, you statist bastard!! Bend over and ta– oh, uh, never mind.

Cylor on November 3, 2010 at 9:59 PM

Why does he keep smacking his lips… oh wait never mind.

Hummer53 on November 4, 2010 at 12:24 AM

We need a new Amendment that does two things.

1. Sets the apportionment of the Congress after each Census to the number of citizens qualified to vote in each State.

2. Establishes that no one, except enlisted members of the military and officers called to extended active duty during time of war, who derives the majority of their income from funds controlled by either the Federal or State government for 12 of the 18 months preceding an election shall be ineligible to vote in said election for any office at the level from which they were a dependent on the public purse.

I know that my plan will disenfranchise police and fire but that will only be at the State level for State and municipal employees and we have to take the government back from public employee unions. This will also reduce the corrupting influence of nominally independent contractors.

LifeofTheMind on November 4, 2010 at 12:28 AM

Just another liberal reinforcing liberalism is a mental illness that is a progressive disease and he is in the latter stages. Pelosi and Reid are the epitomes of the final stages.

volsense on November 4, 2010 at 12:02 PM

The correct answer to the equation is IMPRISONMENT.

tigerlily on November 3, 2010 at 6:09 PM

Why reward Barney with jail?

That’s like a crack head getting a new chemistry set.

dthorny on November 4, 2010 at 4:16 PM

This is so very sad. I heard stories like yours on the radio. People said they love the place and grew up there, but couldn’t take it any more. I feel the same way about California, but we are tyrannized by the cities and the coastal strip. Nevada is in a similar fix — it’s rural vs. urban.

Feedie on November 3, 2010 at 4:19 PM

I moved to Arizona 6 years ago and still work in California, on a 7 on/7 off schedule, and California is a joke. There are far more illegals on the freeways here than anyone could imagine and more arriving everyday.

dthorny on November 4, 2010 at 4:26 PM

Your Thewapist called about your Thycologicoo Dithodor Thession tomawhoa Morning, Barney. Had to canthel cuth she’s booked thahlid with Massachusetts Voters throogh the Yeou 20..

Teddy on November 4, 2010 at 4:40 PM

Massachusetts is lost. Scott Brown was the last hope. People did the impossible and put him in office where his first acts were to betray them. That was made clear to me this morning when I saw that old Scott Brown sign with the No symbol drawn through it alongside supportive signs for every Republican running. His seeming betrayal caused people to throw up their hands and say F it!

I love this area. I was born and raised here. I have a visceral love for the area that I haven’t found anywhere else in the world. But, you know what? I can’t let my children become attached to this place and maybe it’s time we move along to a place where the ideals of America still exist and people truly prefer to live free or die.

TheBigOldDog on November 3, 2010 at 3:43 PM

Amen, my fellow sufferer.

Huckabye-Romney on November 4, 2010 at 5:43 PM

Barney’s been “porking” America so long, he finally got a social-justice disease.

JeffH on November 5, 2010 at 10:21 AM