Bachmann running for leadership position in House Republican caucus

posted at 2:15 pm on November 3, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

It didn’t take long for the Tea Party to make itself felt in the Republican Party leadership after delivering a historic victory in the midterms.  Just hours after taking at least 61 seats in the House, and immediately after Mike Pence withdrew from the position of Conference Chair, Big Government reports that one of the leading lights of the Tea Party movement has thrown her hat into the ring for the #4 position in House Republican leadership:

If the GOP is to capitalize on its success, it needs to incorporate the energy and commitment to principle displayed by the grass roots activists. It needs to realize that the game has really changed and the politics of the past two decades are over. Big Government has now learned that Rep. Michele Bachmann, one of the first GOP office-holders to recognize the importance of the tea party uprising, will enter the race for GOP Conference Chair.

The number 4 position in House Leadership, the Conference Chair is well-positioned to inject grass-roots energy into the majority caucus. It is energy the DC GOP establishment desperately needs. Without it, last night’s historic win will be only a blip on the political landscape.

Rep. Bachmann is, in many ways, one of the leaders of the ‘tea party’ in Congress. Incoming GOP members would be well-served to have one of their own in leadership. God speed, Rep. Bachmann.

This would not be Bachmann’s first attempt to get the Tea Party a seat at the table for direction of Congress.  She created the Tea Party Caucus in order to show strength on policy as well as demonstrate the GOP’s ability to address the concerns of grassroots activists.

There will undoubtedly be other candidates for this position, but John Boehner and his caucus will have to find a way to give Tea Party leaders in their midst some representation in leadership.  Bachmann is the most visible Tea Party leadership in the House, second nationally only to Sarah Palin in terms of visibility.  If the GOP doesn’t find a leadership role for Bachmann somewhere, they’re going to have to put someone of equal stature to the grassroots activists in her place, and I’m not sure that anyone else will fit the bill.

One more point should be made about the longer-term impact of this decision for Bachmann’s future in the House.  She won her district handily against a flood of money for her challenger Tarryl Clark, beating her by 13 points and putting an exclamation point on her grip on the district.  If the caucus denies her a leadership position, Bachmann may be tempted to run for the Senate against Amy Klobuchar in 2012, which would be a tough sell statewide here; Democrats swept the statewide elections this year with the possible exception of the gubernatorial race even in this GOP wave cycle.  A switch by Bachmann to the Senate race could easily put that House seat in jeopardy in 2012.  If they keep her in leadership, that provides her an incentive to stay in the House and protect the seat, which is something House Republicans may want to consider in their calculations.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I don’t see how last night’s election would change the simple fact that Michele Bachmann is crazy and stupid.

crr6 on November 3, 2010 at 3:48 PM

Here’s Bachmann on some issues. Let me know which ones you think are craaaaazy

darwin on November 3, 2010 at 4:06 PM

Here’s Bachmann on some issues. Let me know which ones you think are craaaaazy

darwin on November 3, 2010 at 4:06 PM

I told you here stance on the issues (especially those she showcases on her website) isn’t necessarily why I think she’s crazy. There are plenty of people who disagree with me on almost every issue that I think are intelligent and well, sane. Paul Ryan’s a good example. AP is another.

It’s the tenor of her rhetoric and her general paranoia that concern me. It should concern you too. I think my previous post, and the quotes I gave explain things just fine.

crr6 on November 3, 2010 at 4:10 PM

I haven’t the time to read through the thread right now so if if already been said, my apologies. IMHO, if the GOP doesn’t make room for Bachman in the leadership it is the first sign thta they do not take the TEA partiers seriously and intend to return business as usual.

Are leadership votes recorded votes? If so, those that don’t vote for Bachman are showing their disdain for those that are responsible for last nights victories and should be targeted accordingly for being primaried next go around.

Archimedes on November 3, 2010 at 4:17 PM

crr6 on November 3, 2010 at 4:10 PM

No, it doesn’t.

She is neither crazy nor stupid, and your “opinion”, if it can be called even that, isn’t fact.

Here is a fact for you, you are a stupid crazy doodoo headed poopypants. There. nya nya nya nya nya.

Brian1972 on November 3, 2010 at 4:18 PM

Funny…Chris Matthews trying to explain that the phrase “tingling up my leg” is much different then “thrill up my leg…
Gee, Chrissy, you are right, you never used the word “tingle”…you got us on that one…
He is a perfect example of how a liberal debates…he would have thought he actually won if that was a debate issue.
Take note crr6…that is how you debate.

right2bright on November 3, 2010 at 4:18 PM

Brian1972 on November 3, 2010 at 4:18 PM

Don’t talk to that person who claims to be in law school, full ride at one of the finest…and already been offered a job at one of the finest law firms…by the end of this year, she will be law review, clerk for a supreme justice, and advising Ginsberg…Holder will be calling her for advice……..or she will be doing what she does most likely every day, every morning…getting coffee for a couple of sleazy workman’s comp attorneys, and typing out some nasty written letters as a legal assistant.

right2bright on November 3, 2010 at 4:22 PM

crr6 on November 3, 2010 at 4:10 PM

Really. You should hear Paul Ryan talk about progressives. As I said before, reality exists whether you accept it or not. Bachmann is not a crackpot. In fact she’s in a position to know. Just because you’re unaware of what she knows, or what I know for that matter doesn’t make her paranoid.

Paranoid is Prison Planet stuff, Alex Jones.

It’s a hallmark of government that the larger it gets, the more powerful it becomes, the more oppressive it becomes. That’s not paranoia, it’s simply what happens. Call it a failure of human nature. It’s what’s happening to us. People a generation ago were freer than we are. People a generation before that were even freer. You and I don’t really notice it because we didn’t have what they had.

That’s why halting the growth of government is important because our children and their children will be even less free than we are.

That’s not paranoid, it’s simply reality.

darwin on November 3, 2010 at 4:27 PM

claims to be in law school,

That’s true.

full ride

That’s not true.

at one of the finest

That’s true.

…and already been offered a job at one of the finest law firms

That’s true, as of about 1 1/2 month ago.

…by the end of this year, she will be law review,

That’s not true, although I had the grades for it. I opted for a secondary journal.

clerk for a supreme justice,

That’d be awesome, but I’m to lazy to apply to clerkships.

and advising Ginsberg

lol, no.

…Holder will be calling her for advice

also lol.

Just because you’re unsuccessful, doesn’t mean that everyone else shares your failures.

crr6 on November 3, 2010 at 4:32 PM

We need more people like Bachmann. She is a stateswoman not a politician. I love her!

ReneePA on November 3, 2010 at 4:32 PM

darwin on November 3, 2010 at 4:27 PM

Those Founding Fathers were sure stupid, crazy, and paranoid with all those limitations on government power, guarantees of individual rights and warnings about how easy it is to lose the liberty that the Constitution lays out.

So insane were they.

Brian1972 on November 3, 2010 at 4:33 PM

crr6 on November 3, 2010 at 4:32 PM

You are a liberal, which is a failure all it’s own.

Congratulations.

Brian1972 on November 3, 2010 at 4:35 PM

crr6 on November 3, 2010 at 4:32 PM

You are a liberal, which is a failure all it’s own.

Brian1972 on November 3, 2010 at 4:35 PM

Idk bro, I think that sentence was a failure all “it’s” own.

crr6 on November 3, 2010 at 4:37 PM

Idk bro, I think that sentence was a failure all “it’s” own.

crr6 on November 3, 2010 at 4:37 PM

Yes, the grammar police can deflect the inconvenient truth.

Brian1972 on November 3, 2010 at 4:41 PM

crr6 on November 3, 2010 at 4:32 PM

Or your ego, evidently.

alwaysfiredup on November 3, 2010 at 4:42 PM

darwin on November 3, 2010 at 4:27 PM

Really? Is that true of women? Blacks?

crr6 on November 3, 2010 at 4:43 PM

crr6 on November 3, 2010 at 4:32 PM

Or your ego, evidently.

alwaysfiredup on November 3, 2010 at 4:42 PM

Meh. He/she brought it up. If simply correcting his statements about me means I have a big ego, so be it.

And I seem to remember you bragging about your grades in a topic awhile back : p

crr6 on November 3, 2010 at 4:44 PM

You are a liberal, which is a failure all it’s own.

Brian1972 on November 3, 2010 at 4:35 PM

Lot’s of liberals are very successful. They’re good capitalists.

darwin on November 3, 2010 at 4:44 PM

crr6 on November 3, 2010 at 4:44 PM

Perhaps it takes one to know one.

alwaysfiredup on November 3, 2010 at 4:48 PM

Really? Is that true of women? Blacks?

crr6 on November 3, 2010 at 4:43 PM

I’m talking in general freedom from government coercion. You don’t agree that as each generation passes we lose more liberty?

darwin on November 3, 2010 at 4:51 PM

darwin on November 3, 2010 at 4:51 PM

Obviously, no I don’t. Blacks were subject to much more “government coercion” when Jim Crow laws were in effect. And they were subject o even more “private coercion” when slavery was legal, although I guess private coercion doesn’t “count” for you.

crr6 on November 3, 2010 at 5:03 PM

crr6 on November 3, 2010 at 5:03 PM

No need to be snide and get your panties in a bunch, or accuse me of insensitivity to the plight of blacks in America. I was speaking in generalities to make it easier for discussion instead of side tracking.

Since you don’t think we’re losing liberty, I assume you think cutting the water off in California’s Central Valley to presumably save the delta smelt is ok. It only cost thousands of jobs. It was one of the best producing areas in CA.

How about no Happy meals in San Francisco? Or no salt in NYC? No sodas in schools? How about the government “nudging” restuarants to reduce portion size, or keep french fries off the menu?

How about the fed gobbling up millions of acres of land? Obama did it, Clinton did it as well. How about having to get a NOAA license to fish?

How about takeovers of financial institutions? Home loans? Student loans? GM? Chrysler? How about the government restricting the use of our own energy resources … forcing us to buy foreign oil.

How about forcing people to buy compact flourescent bulbs?

How about outlawing smoking … in your own home? Outside your own home? In private establishments?

That’s just a tiny sampling of government intrusion.

darwin on November 3, 2010 at 5:21 PM

Oh … I forgot. How about “hate” crimes. Affirmative action? Forced “diversity”?

darwin on November 3, 2010 at 5:24 PM

Oh … how could I forget? Forcing people to buy health insurance. Yeah, no liberty lost there.

darwin on November 3, 2010 at 5:26 PM

If I were in my mid 20′s and able to pick a spot for myself to be in. . .

A soon to be graduate of one of the nation’s top law schools is about one of the last places I’d like to be.

The education you just put yourself into serious hock for is about to be dramatically deflated in value. I’d go so far as to say that an Ivy League law pedigree is about to be a flaming tire around the neck for the next two decades or so.

The nation was just delivered a helluva wake up call regarding their investment patters, real property value and the skill sets/industrial readiness of it’s citizens.

The commercial real estate bubble will still burst, the higher education debt bubble and with it the perceived value of excessive higher education will implode.

I’m quite confident the era of the Ivy League lawyers is ending with Obama.

Good luck with your career. . . but don’t get cocky.

Jason Coleman on November 3, 2010 at 5:47 PM

Chick is a Stepford Wife. Robotic and bizarre. Don’t care what her views on the issues are…she’s not all there.

dakine on November 4, 2010 at 12:49 AM

I love Michelle Bachman.

She is a valuable asset and treasure to the GOP and to our country. Easily one of my favorite politicians and leaders in this country.

I heard her on Mark Levin the other night. Leadership position or not, she is going to have weekly constitutional classes for all the new members because in only 2 months time people can lose their way in Washington. It’s that bad there. So she will hold the new Tea Pary congressmen and conservatives together and on track.

It gave me peace of mind knowing she was there fighting the good fight for us and she will get the job done.

God bless her.

Elisa on November 4, 2010 at 1:47 AM

Idk bro, I think that sentence was a failure all “it’s” own.

crr6 on November 3, 2010 at 4:37 PM

Genius big city elitist intellectual lawyer fool…

‘It’s’ is a contraction of ‘it is’.

‘its’ is possessive.

FFS you can’t get one thing right.

Inanemergencydial on November 4, 2010 at 2:11 AM

darwin on November 3, 2010 at 5:26 PM

Now you’ve done it. Damn facts introduced just in time to chill discussion!

fossten on November 4, 2010 at 7:56 AM

Genius big city elitist intellectual lawyer fool…

‘It’s’ is a contraction of ‘it is’.

‘its’ is possessive.

FFS you can’t get one thing right.

Inanemergencydial on November 4, 2010 at 2:11 AM

Wow. You are extremely unintelligent.

Look at the sentence I was quoting. I was making fun of that same grammatical error in the quoted post.

HTH.

crr6 on November 4, 2010 at 10:35 AM

crr6 on November 3, 2010 at 3:48 PM

You are the typical, uneducated, ill-equipped liberal. Instead of attacking ideas and methodologies, you resort to your same ol’, tired bag of tricks, filled with nothing but ad-hominem bullcrap. If anyone acts as though they’ve got mental health issues, it’s you, and science is actually well on it’s way to proving that you may, in fact, be suffering from a cognitive ability distorting congenital, genetic birth defect (http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-chat/2616086/posts). If that’s the case, your own plethora of self-provided examples of being a person of what appears to be below-average intellect bulwarks the probability of you being a cognitively-impaired genetic defective.

It’s amazing how you don’t throw insults at Hissy Chrissy Matthews for his blatant, disrespectful, hypocritical tyrade of a tantrum that he threw at Bachmann, during her celebration on Election Night (also known as Operation Strikeback, Operation NObama, etc.). People like you are one of the reasons I don’t turn to Hotair.com for political information, much more, anymore, and prefer sites like RightScoop. You’re a troll. You exist to do nothing but throw feces, like a monkey. If you chose a Chinese name under the zodiac sign of monkey, I recommend “I-Fling Poo”. To date, you’ve had nothing intelligent or positive to contribute, and HotAir’s Morrissey and Allahpundit simply let you derail legitimate conversation for their own enjoyment and seeing how long you can do it, for the sake of making more comments on a thread.

You’re a boring liberal, and obviously in need of psychiatric help. Get it, and leave the adults alone.

Virus-X on November 4, 2010 at 1:09 PM