Aftermath: The best and worst of The Wave

posted at 12:55 pm on November 3, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Just a few personal leftover musings from a historic night ….

First off, I always have fun on Election Night, regardless of outcome, because it always reminds me of how blessed we are to have a stable electoral system that (nearly) always reflects the will of the electorate.  No one who sat through the 2006 and 2008 campaigns could seriously doubt that the electorate intended to deliver a spanking to the GOP and succeeded in doing so. The same holds for last night, in the reverse.

However, I’d be lying if I said that 2006 and 2008 were anywhere near as enjoyable as last night, for obvious reasons, and especially 2006.  On that night when Democrats took over both chambers of Congress, I took part in a CNN blogger special at a coffee house in DC filled with bloggers from across the political spectrum.  We had a great time hanging out with each other, and most of them were gracious in victory, but getting hit with a major loss while on national TV isn’t the most pleasant feeling in the world.  Watching your party take control of your state legislature from the confines of GOP HQ?  Better.

That doesn’t mean it was a perfect night, though.  We had some disappointments along with some pleasant surprises in what was a banner night for Republicans nationwide.  Here are my nominations for the best — and worst — of the 2010 Wave.

SENATE

• Biggest nailbiter – Pennsylvania.  While Illinois looked better than the first numbers showed, because much of it came out of Chicago, I couldn’t get a handle at all on Pat Toomey’s eventual narrow victory over Joe Sestak.  It looked as though it was slipping away late into the count, but Toomey’s districts finally arrived to carry him over the top.  I believe I actually said, “Whew!” when media outlets began calling it for Toomey.
  • Biggest victory – Mark Kirk beats Alexi Giannoulias in Illinois.  Not only does Kirk take the seat immediately to fill out the remaining term left on interim Senator Roland Burris’ term, but Kirk takes the seat that propelled Barack Obama to the presidency.
  • Most disappointing – Nevada.  I was prepared to lose California and Connecticut as the states are blue anyway, but Republicans had a good shot at winning Nevada.  Reid has lost popularity in the state, and his son went down to a humiliating defeat at the top of the ticket for governor.  Even after the networks called it, I was asking everyone whether the numbers looked right to them.
  • The Here We Go Again Award – Washington, where Dino Rossi may wind up in yet another recount in what we knew was a close, close race.

HOUSE

• The Schadenfreude Award/Most Satisfying – Alan Grayson gets an 18-point walloping after one of the sleaziest campaigns ever.  Congratulations to Dan Webster.
  • Biggest victory – I’d call this a tie between SC-05 and VA-05, with perhaps a little MO-04 thrown in as well.  Tom Perriello’s defeat in Virginia came after a high-profile intervention by Barack Obama which reinforced the national-referendum aspect of the midterms.  In terms of impact in the House, though, the loss of two major chairs by the Democrats is a hard slap across the face.  Ike Skelton (MO) chairs the Armed Services Committee and John Spratt (SC) the Budget Committee — you know, the one that failed to produce a budget despite a 77-seat majority in the House.  Democratic leadership just took a big kick in the teeth.
  • Biggest victory (personal) – I have gotten to know a few of the candidates over the past month, and I’m thrilled to see Renee Ellmers (NC-02) and Chip Cravaack (MN-08) win upsets over entrenched incumbents.  Ellmers ran against Bob Etheridge, who attained YouTube immortality for putting a cameraman in a headlock while demanding, “Who are you?”  Oberstar gets to live in a district he has only visited over the last 50 years … finally.’
  • The Comet Kohoutek Award for Least-Deserving Hype over Competitiveness – I’ll give this one to MN-06, where Democrats poured money while explaining that Michele Bachmann was vulnerable in this election cycle.  They even sent Bill Clinton into the district more than once to campaign for Tarryl Clark.  Bachmann just barely managed to get by … by thirteen points.  Clark didn’t even get to 40%.
  • Biggest disappointment - Thankfully, we didn’t have many of these.  If I had to pick one, I’d say NY-22′s decision to stick with Maurice Hinchey after he assaulted a reporter, demanded the nationalization of the oil industry, and opposed the natural-gas industry was one of the most bizarre.
  • Biggest disappointment (Minnesota edition) – Teresa Collett ran a note-perfect campaign in MN-04 against an incumbent who told voters that “al-Qaeda no longer poses a threat to the United States” eight days before al-Qaeda launched a parcel-bomb attack against our cargo systems.  The D+13 district gave Betty McCollum a 24-point win over Teresa, who clearly deserved much better.  Too bad the same can’t be said of St. Paul voters.

MISCELLANY

• Best news no one was watching – The GOP wins in gubernatorial and state legislature elections positions the party for a decade of ascendance.
  • Best web tools on Election Night – Thanks to very spotty internet connections at the GOP HQ last night, I had to be very particular about what sites I used to update my data.  It may be anathema to write this, but the New York Times had the best tools to follow the races without question.  Easier to load than most, the graphical displays and roll-over data made it easy to keep up with fast-changing results, and their updates appeared constant.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Big Government exclusive:

Exclusive: Michele Bachmann to Run for GOP Leadership

Big Government has now learned that Rep. Michele Bachmann, one of the first GOP office-holders to recognize the importance of the tea party uprising, will enter the race for GOP Conference Chair.

The number 4 position in House Leadership, the Conference Chair is well-positioned to inject grass-roots energy into the majority caucus. It is energy the DC GOP establishment desperately needs. Without it, last night’s historic win will be only a blip on the political landscape.

Rep. Bachmann is, in many ways, one of the leaders of the ‘tea party’ in Congress. Incoming GOP members would be well-served to have one of their own in leadership. God speed, Rep. Bachmann.

That is the post Pence just gave up, to possibly run for Indiana Governor or President in 2012.

Brian1972 on November 3, 2010 at 12:57 PM

First off, I always have fun on Election Night

loved the clothes, pimp eddy.

upinak on November 3, 2010 at 12:58 PM

Best web tools on Election Night – Thanks to very spotty internet connections at the GOP HQ last night, I had to be very particular about what sites I used to update my data. It may be anathema to write this, but the New York Times had the best tools to follow the races without question. Easier to load than most, the graphical displays and roll-over data made it easy to keep up with fast-changing results, and their updates appeared constant.

Hate to say it, but I agree.

peski on November 3, 2010 at 12:58 PM

Exclusive: Michele Bachmann to Run for GOP Leadership

Awesome.

tetriskid on November 3, 2010 at 12:59 PM

It appears that the “intervention” was merely the pre-mortem reading of Perriello’s last rites by Obama’s teleprompter.

ted c on November 3, 2010 at 12:59 PM

I agree with everything except the NY Times map, while it was very well done and easy to follow it was sloooooow on results where states long since called were still shown in opposite directions a lot of the time.

Cookies Mom on November 3, 2010 at 12:59 PM

It’s sickening Harry Reid is there for another 6 years.

Paul-Cincy on November 3, 2010 at 1:00 PM

Most disappointing – Nevada. I was prepared to lose California and Connecticut as the states are blue anyway, but Republicans had a good shot at winning Nevada. Reid has lost popularity in the state, and his son went down to a humiliating defeat at the top of the ticket for governor. Even after the networks called it, I was asking everyone whether the numbers looked right to them.

I agree. Most diappointing. Perhaps it had something to do with the voting machine reports we heard about in the early voting?

Jay on November 3, 2010 at 1:00 PM

Great job Ed and thanks for your efforts

booter on November 3, 2010 at 1:00 PM

Biggest Disappointment (Personally): California reelected two lying, conniving Democrat hacks.

John the Libertarian on November 3, 2010 at 1:01 PM

It’s sickening Harry Reid is there for another 6 years.

Paul-Cincy on November 3, 2010 at 1:00 PM

Very true. But Reid is just stupid. He’s not half the liar Schumer is.

John the Libertarian on November 3, 2010 at 1:02 PM

Every time I get bummed about some result or other, I think about Rubio manhandling the Democrat and a sitting RINO governor at the same time in a 50/50 state. Awesome.

forest on November 3, 2010 at 1:02 PM

It’s sickening Harry Reid is there for another 6 years.

Paul-Cincy on November 3, 2010 at 1:00 PM

With some luck and prayer, and good governance, he’ll only be majority leader for 2 of those six years. ;)

capejasmine on November 3, 2010 at 1:03 PM

Indeed, I’ve had those open all night and into today. Really fantastic maps.

They illustrate the pickups so beautifully, and show what a truly great night it was.

RushBaby on November 3, 2010 at 1:03 PM

The biggest disappointments, for me, were NV and AK (probably), as well as Ruth McClung losing in AZ.

changer1701 on November 3, 2010 at 1:04 PM

Great picks Captain….
West in Fl. and Noem in SD. were some of my favorites.

Baxter Greene on November 3, 2010 at 1:04 PM

The best of the wave, IMO was the depth of the GOP victory – governorships and state legislators.

These victories will not only make 2012 even worse for the democrats, they will directly impact the economy for the better.

Rebar on November 3, 2010 at 1:04 PM

It was an intense night all together. I only wish I can say the same here in Cali. But hey, my county voted GOP down the board…except for Joe Baca.

FontanaConservative on November 3, 2010 at 1:04 PM

I’m just glad I live in a district where the Dem got… 23 % of the vote to the Republican’s 73ish or so. Too bad we couldn’t scrape up another 10,000 votes to send Matheson home.

Vanceone on November 3, 2010 at 1:05 PM

It’s sickening Harry Reid is there for another 6 years.

Paul-Cincy on November 3, 2010 at 1:00 PM

Compulsive gamblers “Just one more stimulus package and we’ll win big”

the_nile on November 3, 2010 at 1:05 PM

First off, I always have fun on Election Night
loved the clothes, pimp eddy.

upinak on November 3, 2010 at 12:58 PM

No kidding. That shirt was really ….. red.

DaydreamBeliever on November 3, 2010 at 1:05 PM

I would think that the win that gave the Republicans the House and booted Pelosi out of that Speaker’s chair would rank up there with the best of the night.

I used to live in California. Any state that re-elects an airhead like Boxer and gives a has-been another chance to sit in the Governor’s seat deserves what it gets. Nevada wasn’t a surprise–it is populated with a bunch of ex-Californians who voted for Liberals and then when the state went to pot, moved.

Beaglemom on November 3, 2010 at 1:05 PM

Oberstar was also a committee chair (transportation). I know it’s kind of off everyone’s radar since we’re not a big numbers district, but Cravaack’s win is a HUGE deal up here.

AScott on November 3, 2010 at 1:05 PM

John the Libertarian on November 3, 2010 at 1:01 PM

I was told that “moonbeam” was married to Linda Ronstadt.. Is that true?..:)

Dire Straits on November 3, 2010 at 1:06 PM

Obama came to Philadelphia three times too, and his wife was here the day before the election. May have bossted turnout a tad, which explains why the Toomey-Sestak race ended up so close, but it wasn’t enough. And none of the House candidates would appear with him, and 4 of them lost anyway!

rockmom on November 3, 2010 at 1:06 PM

Memo to the GOP: If you do not restore fiscal sanity, but instead play politics as usual, I am already looking for replacements. We’ve learned lessons from the Christine O’Donnell & Sharon Angle campaigns. It’s no longer “don’t get cocky”, now it’s “don’t get complacent.”

rbj on November 3, 2010 at 1:07 PM

It’s sickening Harry Reid is there for another 6 years.

Paul-Cincy on November 3, 2010 at 1:00 PM

I hate that he is still there…but I still think that Reid being front and center will end up hurting the democrats,not helping them.

He is still very unpopular nationally and will have many leftist blaming him for being a major part of them losing their majorities.

Baxter Greene on November 3, 2010 at 1:07 PM

I”m happy about most of the national wins, but I’m saddened by the results in my own state of MD. Dems are still firmly entrenched throughout the state – I was really pulling for Lollar, among others. I know Kratovil was defeated, but we’ve still got the rest of them.

I knew it wasn’t going to happen, but I did want COD to win in Delaware, if only to see the utter meltdown of all my friends that still live in my childhood state. Oh well, maybe next time.

Anna on November 3, 2010 at 1:08 PM

Baxter Greene on November 3, 2010 at 1:04 PM

Harry Reid had to be the most dissappointing!..:(

Dire Straits on November 3, 2010 at 1:08 PM

Most underrated story: rise of non-white non-male gop

Now looking at:
-2 AA reps (frazer in co came close for 3!)
-7? 8? Latino reps from Florida to Texas to Idaho
-2 Indian governors
-female governors in OK, SC, NM
-2 Latino/latina governors
-Latino senator
-sadly our east Asian flank (cao, djou, tran) lost but those were dem districts
-many female reps (Roby etc)

But it’s nice to grow beyond the Haley barbours. A huge crop of young AA candidates lost in GOP primaries so they will have bright futures in the GOP as well!

picklesgap on November 3, 2010 at 1:10 PM

I love the wins in the House and the Senate, but I am over the moon about Kasich/Taylor, Josh Mandel (treasurer) and Jon Husted (SOS) here in Ohio. Both Taylor and Mandel are good people to have going forward for future elections.

myrenovations on November 3, 2010 at 1:10 PM

I was told that “moonbeam” was married to Linda Ronstadt.. Is that true?..:)

Dire Straits on November 3, 2010 at 1:06 PM

Oh baby…..

Baxter Greene on November 3, 2010 at 1:10 PM

NY Times had a cool map but the results were behind everyone else.

CNN has always had the best coverage online I think. Good maps, breakdown of votes in every state by county, both graphically and raw numbers. And you can also select “my races” and have them updated automatically without having to go search.

angryed on November 3, 2010 at 1:10 PM

Anna on November 3, 2010 at 1:08 PM

I am feeling your pain, Anna, here in Delaware. MD, DE, CA and Massachussetts (sp?) seem to be the outliers.

DaydreamBeliever on November 3, 2010 at 1:10 PM

I would like to add a Most Bizzare Alaska Senate race..You had that many people write in a name on a ballot and we have some folks that can’t puch out a chad?!?..Strange days indeed..:)

Dire Straits on November 3, 2010 at 1:11 PM

Biggest Disappointment (Personally): California reelected two scores of lying, conniving Democrat hacks.

John the Libertarian on November 3, 2010 at 1:01 PM

FIFY

LASue on November 3, 2010 at 1:12 PM

It’s sickening Harry Reid is there for another 6 years.
Paul-Cincy on November 3, 2010 at 1:00 PM

Don’t worry!

It’s the best thing for 2012. Obama can’t Blame “congress” now. And a frowning gaffe prone dork is the face of the GOP (“Negro dialect” etc)

picklesgap on November 3, 2010 at 1:13 PM

Biggest dissapointment was my own state, MA. Yes, I knew most if not all of them would win, but all the dems cruised to big wins across the board (except maybe 1 or 2 state seats). Keating, Tierney, Frank (spit), etc…

Plus seeing Deval win by 7 points, with Cahill taking 8 points makes me angry. That doesn’t even include the damage Cahill did by focusing attention away from Patrick on the campaign and slanting the debates. Complete scumbag scam went on there.

reaganaut on November 3, 2010 at 1:13 PM

I am really happy today, there are far more good news than bad.

Good: The wins in the House combined with huge gains in State Houses and Governorships. Unlike 1994, this majority was bigger, and much, much safer for the future. With re-dristicting in our favor I expect the House to stay Republican for a looong time (longer than the 12 years from 1994-2006).

Bad: The Senate results were disappointing, but are mitigated by the facts that we are looking at a much easier path to majority in 2012 when far more vulnerable Democratic seats are up for re-election. Looking at the individual races, I expect at least 8 seats picked up in 2012, perhaps quite a few more. In this election, seing Rubio win big and Feingold gone forever was very satifying.

Personal favorite: Witnessing John Salazar (brother of Ken Salazar) go down in flames in my district here in Colorado.
He got killed by his vote for ObamaCare and it felt so good to vote for Scott Tipton! He will be an awesome Rep for this district.

Norwegian on November 3, 2010 at 1:13 PM

Baxter Greene on November 3, 2010 at 1:10 PM

Linda was super hot back in the day..She just didn’t have much brain power..:)

Dire Straits on November 3, 2010 at 1:14 PM

Biggest victory – I’d call this a tie between SC-05 and VA-05

Got to include Hare in this. That district in Illinois (Quad Cities to Quincy) hasn’t been Republican for 30 years.)

MNHawk on November 3, 2010 at 1:14 PM

2012 senate pickups will be HUGE. The class of 2006 is ripe with low hanging fruit

picklesgap on November 3, 2010 at 1:14 PM

Rubio, West, Webster in FLA.

Personally, VA-9 (my old haunts) and the stunning ouster of Rick Boucher.

Bat Chain Puller on November 3, 2010 at 1:15 PM

picklesgap on November 3, 2010 at 1:10 PM

Amen! We also have female Lt. Govs. now in New Jersey and Florida, two very big electoral states. Both are destined for Governor or Senate someday IMO. Chris Christie also appointed a female Attorney General who is doing a great job.

rockmom on November 3, 2010 at 1:15 PM

forest on November 3, 2010 at 1:02 PM

Me too. That and Allen West’s victory speech….

tencole on November 3, 2010 at 1:15 PM

AK Senate is not over yet.

AZ-07 McClung- Grivilia? isn’t called yet.

Washington State Senate isn’t called yet.

Several more House races too close to call right now.

Still could reach +70 in the House.

Brian1972 on November 3, 2010 at 1:15 PM

FontanaConservative on November 3, 2010 at 1:04 PM

However, you and I still have to deal with the Global Warming Final Soultions Act. This one law will probably kill CA. More than Jerry Brown and more than budget measure winning.

You add extra fees and taxes, regulation, and red tap to EVERYTHING, why would a business here. NV, AZ, and TX are the biggest gainers here.

Oil Can on November 3, 2010 at 1:16 PM

Harry Reid had to be the most dissappointing!..:(

Dire Straits on November 3, 2010 at 1:08 PM

Yes it was….

But the Alaska,Colorado,WVa. races pissed me off even more because everything was there for us to succeed.

Angle was an unknown who pushed a well established,long term democrat to the limit.The democrats had to pull out all the stops to win this which may have taken them away from supporting other races that needed their help.
I think Reid still being there hurts democrats in the long run.

Nevada and California have basically chosen “Failure” or “Progress”…….I wish them luck because there will be no bailouts coming to save them from their failed liberal policies.

Baxter Greene on November 3, 2010 at 1:16 PM

rockmom on November 3, 2010 at 1:15 PM

Fla also got a conservative female Attorney General, and an African American Republican Lt.Gov.

Not bad.

Brian1972 on November 3, 2010 at 1:16 PM

One of the most suprising to me was the length of time that it took Haley to win in South Carolina! I thought this would be called early..

Dire Straits on November 3, 2010 at 1:16 PM

Oh, and I forgot the morons voted to keep the sales tax that Deval raised in the middle of the recession. Maybe they should have went for 5% instead of 3%.

Moot point, the state house would have ignored the voters if the question passed.

All that means is that I will make every possible purchase I can over the internet. Well, even more so now. I think I’ll drive to Maine to buy my next new car as well.

reaganaut on November 3, 2010 at 1:16 PM

FYI:

post-1994, Repubs had a 26-seat majority.

2010, 56 seats and it ain’t over yet.

Bat Chain Puller on November 3, 2010 at 1:16 PM

Biggest what kind of Crack are they smoking event of last night?

Maxine Waters gets re-elected.

I know it’s California, and I understand it’s South Central, but, c’mon, she gets re-elected?

coldwarrior on November 3, 2010 at 1:17 PM

There were so many great things that happened yesterday with the wins for the r’s. Getting the old bat out of soth was wonderful. Having dingy, boxer, barney, and maybe lsia back is sickening!
L

letget on November 3, 2010 at 1:18 PM

picklesgap on November 3, 2010 at 1:14 PM

Oh yes..very low hanging fruit!..:)

Dire Straits on November 3, 2010 at 1:18 PM

FYI:
post-1994, Repubs had a 26-seat majority.
2010, 56 seats and it ain’t over yet.
Bat Chain Puller on November 3, 2010 at 1:16 PM

Good point!!!

picklesgap on November 3, 2010 at 1:19 PM

Biggest nail-biter for me was LePage’s race for governor in Maine. He was behind, initially, and the votes trickled in literally a few dozen or hundred at a time. He crept up, but it took hours. He was within 200, then within 80, then within 4, finally broke into the lead with a few dozen, then a few more… when I woke up, he had won with a lead of 7,500 or so.

Biggest disappointment has to be the apparent victory by “total write-in” in Alaska. Of course, the seat will remain in GOP hands, but it’s a let-down nonetheless. Here’s hoping Alaskans all have terrible spelling!

Biggest victory for me has got to be Allen West’s victory in Florida.

joe_doufu on November 3, 2010 at 1:19 PM

I agree about Teresa Collett — the only thing that stopped her is that she lives in the wrong district.

Personal favorite was seeing Steve Kagen get his walking papers in WI-08. I grew up in that district and it was painful to watch that cheap demagogue in Washington. Reid Ribble seems like a pretty good guy, too.

Mr. D on November 3, 2010 at 1:20 PM

Baxter Greene on November 3, 2010 at 1:16 PM

I think you can put New York in that column also..

PS..Pink Floyd dedication: Comfortably Numb

Dire Straits on November 3, 2010 at 1:20 PM

My biggest disappointment was NC-7, Ilario Pantano losing to McIntyre. Even though the district has been democrat for 140 years, we gave it our best shot.
Ilario is a great man, and great father and husband…I was happy that NC has turned Republican for the first time in over 100 years…but still the loss of Ilario was sad.

right2bright on November 3, 2010 at 1:20 PM

DaydreamBeliever on November 3, 2010 at 1:10 PM

You forgot Illinois.
Yeah-we got rid of Hare, Foster, Halvorson, and possibly Bean, and Yeah-Kirk won-but Illinois is still deep blue.

annoyinglittletwerp on November 3, 2010 at 1:21 PM

Linda was super hot back in the day..She just didn’t have much brain power..:)

Dire Straits on November 3, 2010 at 1:14 PM

You got that right.

Did you happen to hear Brown’s victory speech last night.

He came across jacked up on meth, spurting out platitudes and incomplete thoughts.

How anyone can listen to that slice and dice rhetoric coming from the “whore” campaign is beyond me.

California is so screwed they voted for a dead democrat last night:

Deceased Democrat Defeats Republican for State Senate Seat

Baxter Greene on November 3, 2010 at 1:21 PM

Biggest annoyance: Tea Party Express a professional political PAC that hitched its wagon to a genuine grassroots movement and pushed forward weak candidates. (I’m not talking about Joe Miller, for the most part, he did handle things badly the last few weeks).

lizzie beth on November 3, 2010 at 1:22 PM

Nominee for biggest a$$clown: James Carville predicting Virginia would be Blue by 2010..:)

Dire Straits on November 3, 2010 at 1:23 PM

AK Senate is not over yet.

AZ-07 McClung- Grivilia? isn’t called yet.

Washington State Senate isn’t called yet.

Several more House races too close to call right now.

Still could reach +70 in the House.

Brian1972 on November 3, 2010 at 1:15 PM

Il Gov hasn’t been called yet either.

annoyinglittletwerp on November 3, 2010 at 1:23 PM

Baxter Greene on November 3, 2010 at 1:21 PM

LOL!..I thought for minute he wasgoing to say Guam was tipping over!..:)

Dire Straits on November 3, 2010 at 1:24 PM

Biggest personal disappointments: Jerry Brown, Barbara Boxer, Loretta Sanchez, failure of Prop. 23. I’m seriously considering moving back to Texas when my son graduates from college.

surfhut on November 3, 2010 at 1:24 PM

AK Senate is not over yet.

Brian1972 on November 3, 2010 at 1:15 PM

you know brian I like you. but don’t be delusional. let them count the ballots, count the absentee and move on.

upinak on November 3, 2010 at 1:24 PM

Joe Sestak gave up his House seat, and knocked off Arlen Specter, something conservatives could not do. Sestak’s primary ad of a creepy Arlen “I switched parties to help get re-elected” finally showed Arlen for the jerk that he always was.

Then Sestak lost to Toomey. But Pat Meehan (R) picked up Sestak’s old seat with an easy victory.

Thanks, Joe!

Wethal on November 3, 2010 at 1:24 PM

coldwarrior on November 3, 2010 at 1:17 PM

I’ll top that. How about Jan Shakowski in Illinois?…the butt of all jokes. How’d she get re-elected? geeeez.

tencole on November 3, 2010 at 1:25 PM

Someone had better buy BHO a tube of KY jelly, because he’s about to get his cornhole cleaned.

madmonkphotog on November 3, 2010 at 1:25 PM

I think you can put New York in that column also..

PS..Pink Floyd dedication: Comfortably Numb

Dire Straits on November 3, 2010 at 1:20 PM

You got that right.

The people of NY are in for more of the same failure that will lead to this Floyd great:

“this is just a passing phase…one of my bad days”

Baxter Greene on November 3, 2010 at 1:25 PM

Best part of last night was when Fox News revised their 55 seat projection in the house to 60+.

cartooner on November 3, 2010 at 1:25 PM

Thanks, Joe!

Wethal on November 3, 2010 at 1:24 PM

Should have taken the job Clinton offered him.

Baxter Greene on November 3, 2010 at 1:26 PM

Funnest gloat today, Glenn Beck, Pat, & Stu. I’m almost sick from laughing so hard.

hoosiermama on November 3, 2010 at 1:26 PM

First of all – Hot Air, THANK YOU very much for providing this forum and for a job very well done last night. I experienced no hiccups whatsoever.

Disappointments:

1. NV was the biggest disappointment of all races. Angle seemed like a great candidate to me, and I too wonder about those voting machines over there.

2. Hinchey’s reelection in NY-22 is a close second. I personally invested in a George Phillips victory to throw out Hinchey, who is the enemy of free speech for having introduced a bill to restore the “Fairness Doctrine.” I hope we have not seen the last of Mr. Phillips, and that he can garner some “big gun” support next go-round.

But this election will be remembered most in my mind for how the trait of Midwestern Common Sense finally manifested itself in election results, and how this spread eastward to PA. What stunning achievements conservatives made in IL, WI, MI, IN, OH, and then in PA!! To see those states turn red is something I thought I would never experience in my lifetime.

For me, this will always be known as the “Midwestern Red” Election. Only fitting that Michelle Bachmann delivered the line of the night. Yeah, baby!!!

OneVision on November 3, 2010 at 1:27 PM

Senate: Mark Kirk was a “bigger victory” than Marco Rubio? Marco obviously ran such a flawless campaign you took him for granted. When Global Warming and Crap and Tax comes through, let’s see who the bigger victory was.

Marcus on November 3, 2010 at 1:27 PM

Yea, Reid’s win was not only a huge disappointment, it’s very difficult to understand how that could happen.

scalleywag on November 3, 2010 at 1:28 PM

New York GOP failed.

Spanked across the board.

Randy altschuler lost to tim bishop by a small margin. Two percent.

blatantblue on November 3, 2010 at 1:28 PM

The worst part of the wave?

No humpbot!

Rebar on November 3, 2010 at 1:28 PM

Baxter Greene on November 3, 2010 at 1:21 PM

LOL!..I thought for minute he wasgoing to say Guam was tipping over!.
.:)

Dire Straits on November 3, 2010 at 1:24 PM

Heh!!!

“Jimmy’s getting scared!!!”

………”Jimmy’s going to need a shot!!!”

Way to double down on stupid California.

Baxter Greene on November 3, 2010 at 1:29 PM

surfhut on November 3, 2010 at 1:24 PM

Far worse than Prop 23 was Prop 25′s passage. California now has a Democratic Governor, a Democratic Legislature, and, because of Prop 25, only 50%+1 majority rather than the old 66% supermajority needed to pass a budget. This means that the Republican Party is now irrelevant to California politics.

On the bright side, those three things are exactly what caused the red wave to wash clean the center of our country, and I have no doubt they will, in the end, work their magic in California too. It will, however, be a painful lesson for us innocents to live.

unclesmrgol on November 3, 2010 at 1:29 PM

The worst part of the wave?

No humpbot!

Rebar on November 3, 2010 at 1:28 PM

yes.. humpbot was out.. in force. Go look around. As was the melting bunny.

upinak on November 3, 2010 at 1:30 PM

the real party of diversity?…………….the GOP.

the real movement of diversity?………..CONSERVATISM.

the real long term win of 2010?………redistricting.

PappyD61 on November 3, 2010 at 1:30 PM

scalleywag on November 3, 2010 at 1:28 PM

Numbers don’t seem to add up there or WVa.

Around 6-10 point swings from the polls.

Baxter Greene on November 3, 2010 at 1:31 PM

Baxter Greene on November 3, 2010 at 1:25 PM

Excellent song..I’ve always thought that was one VERY cute and hot chick in the video/movie!..

Dire Straits on November 3, 2010 at 1:31 PM

Biggest scandal (for a Nutmegger): The CT Governor’s race. Tom Foley (R) leads Dan Malloy (D) by 5,000 votes out of 1.1 million cast, with 95% reporting, and CT Secretary of State Bysiewicz “declares” Malloy to be the winner.

ON WHAT GROUNDS? Is Bysiewicz a dictator or queen who can appoint Governors, regardless of the will of the voters? By all means, let’s count those last 5%, but Malloy can’t LEGALLY be Governor unless he SHOWS US THE VOTES!

Connecticut State Law also mandates a recount if the two leading candidates are within 0.5% of each other, or about 5,500 votes in this case. Malloy would have to win the remaining 50,000 votes or so by AT LEAST a net 10,500 votes to avoid a recount. Without counting those last 5%, how can Bysiewicz or anyone else be sure that Malloy won them better than 60-40?

Steve Z on November 3, 2010 at 1:31 PM

upinak on November 3, 2010 at 1:24 PM

That is exactly what I mean. Count the ballots, and see where it winds up. There may be courtroom fights, challenging some ballots and things like that.

There are also the absentee ballots to be dealt with.

Nothing delusional about it.

Brian1972 on November 3, 2010 at 1:31 PM

scalleywag on November 3, 2010 at 1:28 PM

Plain and simple..Look for the union label!..:)

Dire Straits on November 3, 2010 at 1:32 PM

unclesmrgol on November 3, 2010 at 1:29 PM

Don’t forget the banned happy meals……

Baxter Greene on November 3, 2010 at 1:32 PM

No humpbot!

Rebar on November 3, 2010 at 1:28 PM

You must have missed it.

unclesmrgol on November 3, 2010 at 1:32 PM

What I learned last night.

The Bad:
- 28% of S. Carolinian’s are scary stupid.
- Minnesota is still America’s short bus.
- Las Vegas is weapons grade stupid. The MoF(margin of fraud) was just to much to overcome.
- California is the definition of insanity.
- WTF Alaska?
- Utah Needs a third party(Libertarian maybe) because the choices here suck.
- WTF AZ-7?

The Good:
- Minnesota is improving a little at a time.
- Las Vegas shenanigans might be exposed before 2012
- 60+ seats is crazy delicious.
- Chuckie Schumer will not be the Senate majority leader.
- Boehner gets to take the gavel away from Nancy. “Give that gavel, now go make me a sammich.”

Sammy316 on November 3, 2010 at 1:33 PM

New York GOP failed.

Spanked across the board.

Randy altschuler lost to tim bishop by a small margin. Two percent.

blatantblue on November 3, 2010 at 1:28 PM

True, but Mike McMahon lost. So did Michael Arcuri. So did John Hall and Scott Murphy. NY-29 was a rout, and Dan Maffei’s holding on to a razor thin margin.

The statewide races were failures, but a blessing in disguise. If the gubernatorial race or Senate races were competitive, Dem turnout would have been boosted downstate.

Count your blessings. New York’s certainly seen worse, but not much worse.

KingGold on November 3, 2010 at 1:33 PM

The worst part of the wave:

Hawai’i just isolated itself

Kini on November 3, 2010 at 1:33 PM

Don’t forget the banned happy meals……

Baxter Greene on November 3, 2010 at 1:32 PM

That’s ok. I’ll just buy the kid an angus bacon and cheese.

unclesmrgol on November 3, 2010 at 1:33 PM

Obama is taking a thumping at the press conference.

John the Libertarian on November 3, 2010 at 1:33 PM

surfhut on November 3, 2010 at 1:24 PM

My wife and I are exploring all options for TX

Oil Can on November 3, 2010 at 1:34 PM

You must have missed it.

unclesmrgol on November 3, 2010 at 1:32 PM

I did miss it, thanks!!!

Rebar on November 3, 2010 at 1:34 PM

Dire Straits on November 3, 2010 at 1:31 PM

So true……

Pink really screwed up what could have been a great night.

Baxter Greene on November 3, 2010 at 1:34 PM

My biggest disappointment was AK. also .I can’t stand that woman.Dirty tricks me thinks. Being in Ca. it was bad having Boxer and Moonbeam elected. Oh, and we voted to give our Legislature the power to raise taxes by a simple majority.Good one. Once Jerry becomes Gov., I’m sure he will use that alot.

sandee on November 3, 2010 at 1:35 PM