Open thread: The turnout

posted at 12:45 pm on November 2, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

We’re already getting some data from regular readers about the turnout in their local precincts.  The general impression so far: heavier than usual, but not as heavy as 2008, which would be good news for Republicans in this cycle.  Turnout in 2008 was around 63%, but for most midterms, it’s around 40-45%.  Here are some of the comments received this morning:

• “I showed up when the polls opened this morning at 7am in the Michigan 1st district in Chippewa County’s 1st precinct.  No violence, intimidation, or other shenanigans going on at this time.  Turnout was really heavy though.  The pollworkers commented on it.  It’s my first time voting in this precinct, so I am not sure what it was like last year.  However, my last election (before I lost my job to the economy) was in Louisiana, and there were twenty times as many people at the poll opening here in this election than there were in Louisiana in my last.”What does a large turnout mean in this district?  I guess we will find out tonight.  My prediction is that the Republican will take this congressional seat by a very large margin.”
  • “Fairly respectable turnout at my precinct at 7:00 am (northern Virginia) and 30 degree weather. No one gets up early to go out into the cold and vote for the status quo.”
  • “Just got back from the heart of liberal voting land [Minnesota]. Turnout is not at all what it was two years ago. Most of the people in line were business people. Two years ago there were a lot more young people. Line last year was around two corners. This morning it was 20 people max.”
  • “Voted at 6:15am here in CT. I live in a small town and the parking lot was getting pretty full. Heard election officials inside saying they were already seeing higher turnouts than expected. Stopped for coffee in the next town over and heard the same thing.”
  • “Voted at 7:10 in Short Pump, Va. I was number 61 in my mostly red district. Looks like it’ll be a fairly heavy turnout here – nothing like 08′ though.”

We’ll set this up as an open thread for turnout reports.  I’ll update them as we get e-mails.  Bear in mind that these are anecdotal reports, but Hot Air has a pretty wide reach, so we should get a good mix of data from it.

Update: A good reminder from the comments: “My dad voted out in Sylvania and said there was a big Kaptur/Democrat flyer/vote list right on the sign up table! He pointed it out, and it was destroyed. Be vigilant and be on the lookout.”  Voter integrity is everyone’s job.

FYI, I voted early, so I have no personal observations on turnout at my precinct from today.

Update: “I voted at 7:00 am in Indianapolis IN.  Very Democrat district.  There were 4 “booths” and I was the only one there.  Walked in, voted, walked out inside 3 minutes.  Very cold out there, a few folks standing there with voting guides which I declined.  As I was leaving I saw a car pulling up, but honestly, I was the only one there besides the poll workers.”

Update: “I voted this morning on my college campus in Philadelphia.  The place was deserted, and the poll workers seemed ready to fall asleep.  The College Dems are elsewhere on campus trying to get people to vote, but nobody seems interested.  Turnout looks like it will be very light.”  That may be very good news for Pat Toomey, as Joe Sestak needs a huge Philly turnout to remain competitive.

Update: “I’m an election judge in North Minneapolis. This is a majority minority precinct. Turnout at 10 am is 60 voters. In 2008 this
precinct had 850 voters. At this pace we won’t top 400 today.”

Update: “Personal experience, in Perriello’s District, VA-5. Went to the UVA polling center to vote in Charlottesville. The place was empty. Maybe 3 or 4 people voted in the 3 minute span I was in the building. That means maybe 500 voters total by the end of the day if the pattern holds. According to Virginia State Department data, there were 1500 votes cast in this precinct in 2008. 1200 of them were for Obama.

“If republican turnout holds or improves any in these voting precincts, a possibility because of greater enthusiasm numbers in 2010 vs. 2008, a total wipeout is possible.”

Update: From a Republican district in Orange County, California: “I just got back from voting and here is my report; there were 8 voting booths and all was being used when I arrived. Normally when I vote around 9:00am there is only one or two booths being used. I had to wait a few minutes to do my voting and by the time I was leaving there was a line forming. Traffic much more for that time of day.”

Update: “Showed up to vote at 9:00 in very conservative district in Winston-Salem, NC.  The line was huge.   Eight privacy booths were in use and they had to bring in two additional tables to allow people fill out their ballots using hymn books to block people from seeing their ballots.  It took me 15 minutes in 2008.   It took me 45 minutes to vote today.”

Update:  Two more:

• “I live in Georgia’s 12th Congressional District, a seat currently held by John Barrow, which is pretty reliably blue.  My wife and I just went to vote at our precinct, which is a church in the most heavily democratic area of Savannah, Georgia, and besides 8 poll workers, we were the only people there!  This polling location had lines around the corner all day in 2008.  The 12th district race hasn’t had any national attention or blogosphere attention, and there hasn’t been any independent polling , but I wonder if Ray McKinney isn’t going to pull off a surprise win, or at least make it really close.  Hotair has been great with its coverage and analysis this year – keep up the good work!”
  • “I’m a Republican pollwatcher in Reno.  I’m at a heavily Dem polling place in downtown.  Turnout is very heavy–lines are ~25 deep.  Voter report at 10:00 said 58 Rs 48 Ds 18 non-’partisan 5 IA.  I’ve walked these precincts before and they are blue blue blue.”

Update: “I voted this morning around 8 am in my precinct on the near west side of Madison, WI. Remembering the long lines of 2008, I took a travel mug full of hot coffee, a book and my iPod. I didn’t need them. I walked directly in, and went straight to a booth.

“One funny thing I did notice yesterday was the sudden appearance of Ron Johnson signs in Madison itself. Until Monday, you only saw Johnson signs in the suburbs but not in “The People’s Republic of Madison” proper. After Halloween, the Johnson signs came out! Probably due people remembering the vandalism and sign-stealing that took place during the 04 and 08 presidential races.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

pambi on November 2, 2010 at 2:29 PM
Yep it is pouring here, hope it helps Pastor Broden!!!

txmomof6 on November 2, 2010 at 2:36 PM

I voted at 12:00 (my usual time) at the local elementary school in TX-32. Pouring rain. No waiting – it was a ghost town with just two other voters and 6 empty ‘booths’.

My ballot was # 232. In 2008, there were 470 ballots by that time of day. My precinct is largely red (I believe) but it has been trending Democrat as more minorities have moved in over the past 10 years. We had Sam Johnson as our rep until redistricting and since then it has been Pete Sessions. They have always won by comfortable margins.

Felt tips for the Republic! We are the wave.

Peri Winkle on November 2, 2010 at 2:37 PM

Sure is fun to be among so many fabulous TEXANS ! :-)

pambi on November 2, 2010 at 2:40 PM

One other observation. This is the first time in twenty years at this polling place that we have had someone monitoring the ballot box/scanner. The older man wasn’t hovering over it, but he stood close enough to see that only one ballot was deposited per voter.

Suits me fine!

Peri Winkle on November 2, 2010 at 2:41 PM

My son drove home from college to vote with us. The turn out here in the deep South is very heavy. I asked poll workers about it, they said as heavy as they have seen…and it is raining cats and dogs. The tsunami begins?

d1carter on November 2, 2010 at 2:47 PM

Any reports from Lloyd Dog-it’s district (TX-25)? Wish this clown would get the smack down from Dr. Donna Campbell.

LoneStarGal on November 2, 2010 at 2:49 PM

Here in NW Ohio, the polling places had lines that extended outside. Haven’t seen that in a long time.

Informal discussions overheard suggest that a strong GOP, Tea Party, Libertarian voter group was present. My daughter just got back home from voting, and mentioned that several of her more liberal friends decided that it wasn’t any use to go vote since “they” were going to lose anyway.

Four hours till the polls close here.

coldwarrior on November 2, 2010 at 2:51 PM

Hey Ed: Write in List lawsuit dropped.

Can’t write someone in without a list due to all the “newbies”. This kind of backfired on everyone.

upinak on November 2, 2010 at 2:52 PM

rsrobinson on November 2, 2010 at 1:42 PM

OH MY !! We’re @ G.O. & Matlock !
SNORT !
(Cowboys/Schmowboys .. hehe.)

pambi on November 2, 2010 at 1:46 PM
I’m near Green Oaks & Collins. Practically within shouting distance. :)

rsrobinson on November 2, 2010 at 2:07 PM

Could you two go check in on my in-laws? (Fielder just south of Randal Mill.) They’re old school democrats – he’s a retired teamster – and I want to make sure they are not suicidal today. (What with the Cowboys and the elections and all)

DocKen on November 2, 2010 at 2:58 PM

LoneStarGal on November 2, 2010 at 2:49 PM
Can’t find anything about TX-25, sorry.

pambi on November 2, 2010 at 2:59 PM

I showed up at 6:30 to hold a sign in support of a local community college levy. Blue-collar suburban precinct outside of Cleveland, lots of older voters, elects fiscal-conservative Dem mayor, Dem state rep, GOP congressman. Lots more signs around the neighborhood for the GOP statewide slate than the Dems. Pretty heavy turnout compared to previous years.

skydaddy on November 2, 2010 at 3:00 PM

Well, I live in a mail-in ballot ONLY state, so hard to tell turnout. I can tell you I helped two other people vote straight GOP.

GOP did a horrible job in Oregon though. Our Senator’s entire family lives in a ritzy condo in New York City, while the Senator keeps a small 1200 square foot “small hold” in Portland. Yet, no ads about it.

I hate that we’ve been written off. Yes, we have a huge, weird liberal population in our two largest cities, but plenty of people to be fired up with the right messages.

PastorJon on November 2, 2010 at 3:00 PM

DocKen on November 2, 2010 at 2:58 PM
SNORT !! ;-)

pambi on November 2, 2010 at 3:00 PM

In my very tiny precinct there was only one booth open when I got there. Usually there are lots open. Voted straight ticket for first time ever. Usually like to ponder each race as I go, this time just wanted to send a message. Also, it was raining pretty hard but the poll worker said people had been coming in steady all day.

txmomof6 on November 2, 2010 at 3:04 PM

upinak on November 2, 2010 at 2:52 PM

So, now Lisa gets to run out and distribute cheat sheets to ALL voting locations??? What does this mean?!

LoneStarGal on November 2, 2010 at 3:06 PM

d1carter on November 2, 2010 at 2:47 PM

Yes it does, my friend. It is a glorious day.

kingsjester on November 2, 2010 at 3:07 PM

I’m hoping Ehrlich wins, but I’m not sure if he will. Wish I could have voted for Lollar – I did vote against Mikuliski though. I’m hoping to see her fall today too. ANN

Cast my vote around noon in the solidly Blue 5th District of Prince George’s County, MD. Very few cars in the lot at my old High School. One scuzzy Dem shill out front.
Was in and out in ten minutes with no problems with the Touch Screen. Even if I did write myself in for County Executive.
Jack Deth on November 2, 2010 at 12:49 PM

I am here in St. Mary’s County, and I DID vote for Lollar. Lollar signs are EVERYWHERE here, definitely outnumbered Hoyer signs at the polling place, and all around the county. The voting was quick and easy, no problems. Only people outside the polling place was a group for the Republican ticket line. :) I have no doubt that Lollar is going to take St. Mary’s. PG is where we have to fight hard to best Hoyer, as its sounding like that’s his final stronghold. Go Lollar!!!

Highlar on November 2, 2010 at 3:10 PM

Just got back from voting in MA-4 and my polling place was packed and apparently that has been the case in all of our town’s precincts, all day.
Go Sean Bielat!!!

racecar05 on November 2, 2010 at 3:17 PM

Strong turnout here in my central Wisconsin rural township. That bodes well for the R count as we are a strongly red pocket in between the more blue college town areas of Stevens Point and Eau Claire.

Metanis on November 2, 2010 at 3:20 PM

Initial numbers from our state rep race; Dem precincts turning out 40-50% of the votes that the GOP precincts are.
A TEANAMI IS BREWING!

michaelo on November 2, 2010 at 3:24 PM

How’s this for election day spin from MSNBC. Just saw this headlined in a segment with David Gregory. “If GOP gains house control margin will be slim.” Already doing damage control and spinning like a gyroscope.

Oldnuke on November 2, 2010 at 3:33 PM

LoneStarGal on November 2, 2010 at 3:06 PM

The Supreme Court said… back off and stop screwing with the vote. Which also means Fagan and others who said get your name on the write in may have a nice “surprise” after the election. And this loop hole is going to be fixed… soon.

upinak on November 2, 2010 at 3:38 PM

I wish to add that, this day, my hands are drenched in Democrat blood. Metaphorically speaking, of course.

At my polling place, I could tell that Democrat blood was being spilled as never before. Metaphorically, that is.

The polling place was littered with the drained and lifeless carcasses of Democrat candidate names, as one after another, the voters came in and cast ballots for Republicans. Not metaphorically, I assure you.

FlameWarrior on November 2, 2010 at 3:39 PM

journeyintothewhirlwind on November 2, 2010 at 1:02 PM

Husband was #240 when he went in at 230pm to vote. I was #201 at around 1130am.

journeyintothewhirlwind on November 2, 2010 at 3:41 PM

Voted at about 11am, not a lot of people. Small college town, didn’t see very many of those kids. I expect Feingold to either squeek out a win or it will be really, really close. I just heard a clip of McCain lamenting a loss for the Senate of Russ doesn’t win. facepalm

wi farmgirl on November 2, 2010 at 3:41 PM

I, too, live in Oregon, the vote-by-mail state (and what a great idea THAT is! No chance for fraud there!) and I’ve got to say that in all my years of living in indigo-blue Portland I have NEVER seen so many Republican lawn signs and bumper stickers. And once you get out of the lefty hothouse that is the Portland metro area Republican signs are all you see. The governor’s race is said to be too close to call; perhaps won’t know until tomorrow or later who wins. Could it possibly be that Oregon will elect a Republican governor?? Be still my heart!
My daughter’s birthday is tomorrow – poor kid – in 2008 I was so horrified by the election that I couldn’t work up much enthusiasm for her party. But this year is going to be a humdinger! Balloons everywhere!

littlemary on November 2, 2010 at 3:42 PM

Just voted at a Lion’s Club in central Florida. Many more voters than I would normally expect at 3:15PM. A poll watcher indicated 275 voters for this small polling center.

JimK on November 2, 2010 at 3:44 PM

Californians need to thank the Texas Rangers for the supreme sacrifice they made last night in the World Series! “Operation Hang Over” was timed perfectly for Election Eve!

The Streets of San Francisco were filled with loud drunk baseball fans late into the night.

I imagine that very few of these fans will be in any shape to vote today.

Holding down the liberal San Francisco vote is crucial for California! This might be just enough to save California from a Governor Moonbeam! Please vote for Meg Whitman for Governor!

I voted at City Hall on Sunday afternoon. There was a steady stream of voters coming in behind me, but only four people in line in front of me. The line moved quickly as most people were just dropping off absentee ballots. In past years, the line at City Hall has been much longer.

Thank you Texas Rangers! You are true Patriots!

wren on November 2, 2010 at 3:47 PM

From WGMD radio:

Voter records being shattered in Sussex

So far today’s mid-term election has broken lots of old records in Sussex County. Department of Elections Director Ken McDowell tells WGMD he’s got 804 pollworkers out today, which is the most ever and 212 machines at the 64 polling locations. In 2008 there were 198 machines used. The number of absentee ballots shattered the old record of 2700 weeks ago – between 4200 and 4300 absentees had been turned in by yesterday – and another 100 or so have been handed in to the Georgetown office today already – and they’ll be accepted until 8pm when the polls close.

Sussex is the southermost of DE’s three counties. And by far, the most conservative.

davidk on November 2, 2010 at 3:47 PM

Oops. Here’s the link: http://www.wgmd.com/?p=12281

davidk on November 2, 2010 at 3:48 PM

LoneStarGal

It means there is guaranteed to be a challenge should Leeza Mosolewski win, and rightfully so.

xblade on November 2, 2010 at 3:49 PM

Dan Fagan back on the air.

davidk on November 2, 2010 at 3:42 PM

Looks like the dude will be sued! I can’t think of a nicer man who should be on the streets!

Per Fagan today:

“I think what I did was right. I think what we did, the 200 people that went down and registered, was we tried to thwart the cheating that’s being permitted by the state of Alaska on behalf of Lisa Murkowski. I stand by it. I’d do it again and I think it was not a mistake in the least,” said Fagan.

He freaking went liberal saying that!

The transcript from ADN:

Dan: I’m only tampering with the election so the right candidate wins … I’m only trying to trick voters so the right candidate gets the victory.

That obese jerk needs a reality check.

upinak on November 2, 2010 at 3:49 PM

wren on November 2, 2010 at 3:47 PM

LOL, that HAS been the talk ’round these Tx parts, believe me !! Since we TOTALLY WHOOPED YANKEE BUTT along the way, we’re still happy to have contributed to the CA election day chaos, at least. :-)

pambi on November 2, 2010 at 3:50 PM

Wipeout!

hillbillyjim on November 2, 2010 at 3:59 PM

SNORT … a DNC spox (on with Shep) says Dems have the wind at their back today, and Shep is speechless !!
Spox’s voice is shaky, tho.. almost feel sorry for him !
NOT !!

pambi on November 2, 2010 at 3:59 PM

Voter Intimidation?

DOVER, Del. (AP)- Supporters of Republican Senate candidate Christine O’Donnell were apparently being a little too enthusiastic in support of their candidate.

Delaware Elections Commissioner Elaine Manlove said Tuesday that she received three complaints from voters about O’Donnell supporters impeding access to Kent County polling places. The Delaware Democratic Party issued a statement about the activity, which it called “voter intimidation.”

Manlove said she was told the supporters were traveling ahead of O’Donnell to polling places where she planned to appear. Manlove said they were complying with a requirement to stay at least 50 feet from the polling places, but they were apparently too loud and could be heard within the 50-foot perimeter.

Manlove said she called O’Donnell’s campaign and asked them to stop the loud demonstrations and the campaign agreed to do so.

davidk on November 2, 2010 at 4:00 PM

I absentee voted since I recently moved from Indiana to New Mexico, but I have a report from my sister. She voted in a suburb of Columbia, SC, in what I believe is a fairly Republican district. She went in at 10am with her twin toddler boys and stood in line with them for an hour and a half. Now that’s dedication! When she voted in the 08 election, the wait was 3 hours (but since she was 7 months pregnant with twins, they let her skip to the front of the line).

tikvah on November 2, 2010 at 4:04 PM

I’m in KS-3, voting today was pretty strong – 10 machines, a constant line of 5-10 people. I was there for an hour 10am – 11am. 80% of the voters were 60+ yrs old. I think our district is mostly Republican, but they did vote for a D several terms (I moved here in ’07 from Chgo).
Rep’s name was Dennis Moore. They even had a song for him: “Dennis Moore, Dennis Moore, robs from the poor and gives to the rich (silly b**ch!).”

mdenis39 on November 2, 2010 at 4:06 PM

Appeal to blacks to vote for Republicans “for the very first time”…

mankai on November 2, 2010 at 4:06 PM

Snow in Anchorage. Hopefully that will keep the libs home since they don’t drive pickem up trucks. No Lisa M on the ballot and no list of write-in candidates. Sweet.

tbear44 on November 2, 2010 at 4:10 PM

From the left-leaning Delaware Online:

At P.S. du Pont, a heavily Democratic district, turnout paled in comparison to 2008 when the lines wrapped around the building. But a steady stream of people arrived at the school to vote

davidk on November 2, 2010 at 4:11 PM

tbear44 on November 2, 2010 at 4:10 PM

What snow? Either you are on the hill or you aren’t driving.

upinak on November 2, 2010 at 4:16 PM

Beautiful… via Jonah at The Corner (NRO)

A reader forwarded me this from the transcript of Keith Olbermann’s “special comment” after the passage of Obamacare (full video and transcript here):

Failed Mr. Boehner. You lost. You blew it. . . . I would think the “will and desires of your fellow countrymen” should be pretty damn clear by now: Your countrymen think your policies are of the past, and your tactics are of the gutter. . . . And so I offer this olive branch to the defeated Republicans and Tea Partiers. . . . You are rapidly moving from “The Party of No,” past “The Party Of No Conscience,” towards “The Party of No Relevancy.” You are behind the wheel of a political Toyota. And before the mid-terms, you will have been reduced to only being this generation’s home for the nuts.

mankai on November 2, 2010 at 4:16 PM

Gibbs is already packing his sh*t.

ThePrez on November 2, 2010 at 4:17 PM

Not to offend anyone, but I must say – I had doubts this Election would even be held – so in that vein, ANY conservative wins are a Blessing.

I’ve called all my friends and family that are not uber-liberal, I contributed what I could – mostly out of State – and now, I wait with you – and pray to God we pulled it out.

seesalrun on November 2, 2010 at 4:18 PM

My polling station is located in Sullivan, MO; small town 45 miles southwest of St. Louis. Predominately Republican including Reagan Democrats who swung over in the mid-90′s Republican surge throughout outstate Missouri.

I vote at precisely the same time in every election: 35-40 minutes after polls open. My number on the ballot counter in off-year elections is always between 15 and 20. This time it was 33. Same number of voting booths set up as in a presidential election. Polling station not mobbed but a bit brisker than usual in an off-year election.

Tongueboy on November 2, 2010 at 4:18 PM

mdenis39 on November 2, 2010 at 4:06 PM

I lived in Olathe about 25 years and voted in KS-3: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:KS_district_3-108th.gif

Dennis Moore never campaigns in Johnson County (of which Olathe is the County Seat). They’ve successfully gerrymandered the district to include Douglas Co. (Lawrence, KS; University of Kansas) with Wyandotte Co (Kansas City, Kansas) which has a high minority population.

I moved away in ’05. I’ve wondered if the business build-up on I-435 has changed the demographics enough to present a challenge to Dennis Moore.

davidk on November 2, 2010 at 4:22 PM

My precinct in Mason City, IA was already at about 25% of the number of registered voters with 7 hrs. till polls close.

paragon27x on November 2, 2010 at 4:26 PM

I voted at about 1:30 CST here in NW IN. Small town, my precinct has about 600 registered voters total. About 25% have already voted today (not counting absentee ballots). There is usually a surge between 5-6 pm. At this rate it will be significantly above average turnout for a midterm.

novaculus on November 2, 2010 at 4:27 PM

Tennessee CD4
150 early votes.
250 at 1300 hrs,
expect 500 out of 1500.
No thugs or hustlers at this middle school voting place.
This is a blue part of the district.

Col.John Wm. Reed on November 2, 2010 at 4:29 PM

I voted here in tiny South Lake Tahoe. Polling station smelled like marijuana. No kidding.

But this whole town smells like pot. They say it’s growing in 1 in 5 houses here.

We are a dying community. It’s devastating to those of us who love our town. Hopefully, things will turn around.

keebs on November 2, 2010 at 4:33 PM

Report from Las Vegas NV. Voted at 1:00. Just a few others.
Noticed too, that when the signature verifier was flipping through the pages, I saw only a couple sign-ins on each sheet.

betsyz on November 2, 2010 at 4:35 PM

Report from Las Vegas NV. Voted at 1:00. Just a few others.

betsyz on November 2, 2010 at 4:35 PM
Empty pages to fill in later VOTE FRAUD maybe?????

Col.John Wm. Reed on November 2, 2010 at 4:38 PM

Edmond, OK – the parking lot was full when I drove by my precinct on the way to the gym (6:45 am – poll opened at 7 am).

I went in at 10:45 am – same time I always go to vote – and there was still a brisk turnout. They added twice as many booths as usual.

Local radio news guy said that turnout was expected to be quite heavy in OK – there’s many state questions that people want to vote on in addition to the candidates.

tru2tx on November 2, 2010 at 4:40 PM

That thought crossed my mind as i sat awake in bed listening to fireworks and screaming all night.

Unfortunately, i’m pretty sure the only thing SF residents are going to miss today is work. I imagine they’ll roll out of bed in time to vote… and maybe buy some aspirin.

Rude on November 2, 2010 at 4:41 PM

Col.John Wm. Reed on November 2, 2010 at 4:38 PM

Troublesome to me .. hmmm.

pambi on November 2, 2010 at 4:43 PM

It was low where I voted (VA-08), but I voted in the afternoon. Most people in this area tend to vote in the morning (which is why I vote later in the day).

zoyclem on November 2, 2010 at 4:49 PM

Report from Las Vegas NV. Voted at 1:00. Just a few others.

betsyz on November 2, 2010 at 4:35 PM
Empty pages to fill in later VOTE FRAUD maybe?????

Col.John Wm. Reed on November 2, 2010 at 4:38 PM

The Dems will do WHATEVER IT TAKES to save Reid’s sit. It will take something really huge to unseat him.

neuquenguy on November 2, 2010 at 4:51 PM

Empty pages to fill in later VOTE FRAUD maybe?????

Col.John Wm. Reed on November 2, 2010 at 4:38 PM

I was hoping that it meant that the absence of signatures meant mail-in voters.

Also, of the two others, one was a black woman about 30 — I kept hoping that she was “exhausted”. The other, a white male about 30 with a t-shirt that read “World Peace”. Now, I want world peace as much as the next guy, but I’m always suspicious when the words are emblazoned on chests.

betsyz on November 2, 2010 at 4:54 PM

betsyz on November 2, 2010 at 4:54 PM
??? are the pages empty where they can write john Doe?

Col.John Wm. Reed on November 2, 2010 at 4:58 PM

I just voted in NC, in David Price’s district. My area is a more conservative part of this generally Democratic district. Turnout at 1530 was pretty good, similar to what I experienced in 2008. Turnout is expected statewide at 45%, vs 37% in 2006. There was only one person handing out voter guides today, and he was from the GOP. In 2008 there were only Democrats working outside the polling place, none were to be found today.

After I got home from voting who greeted me on TV? Andy Griffith trying to hawk Obamacare in taxpayer funded commercials! I hope this will be subjected to Congressional oversight by the next Congress.

Hansmeister on November 2, 2010 at 5:03 PM

I voted early in Alan Grayson’s district. Turnout was high. Waited about an hour. Guy in an SEIU shirt sitting by the front door – just sitting. Poll worker gave me a ballot for the wrong district the first time. Had to revote.

Ronnie on November 2, 2010 at 5:06 PM

??? are the pages empty where they can write john Doe?

Col.John Wm. Reed on November 2, 2010 at 4:58 PM

I don’t think you can write “John Doe”. It is a signature match-up. They have to verify that your signature looks like the one you have on record. Thinking about it though, it seems like it would be easy enough to pull-off—copy what you see.

betsyz on November 2, 2010 at 5:08 PM

Oldest son said voting in Spicewood Hills area (Austin,TX) was heavy,he was #100 in line, upscale,techie area.Be interesting to see the precinct results in this race.

Col.John Wm. Reed on November 2, 2010 at 5:11 PM

betsyz on November 2, 2010 at 5:08 PM
Better watch this one or call Eric The Holder,Oh wait,forget the DOJ?

Col.John Wm. Reed on November 2, 2010 at 5:13 PM

I just voted after work here in Ohio.

I moved receintly so Im at a new polling place so cant fairly determine if the voting is heavy or not in comparison.

Will say my old polling place was a inner city church that when I voted I maybe saw a dozen people there.

My new polling place is also a much larger suburban church and I saw probably over 100 people there. Was largest turnout I had ever seen in an election.

People really seems animated to vote. The staff was really nice and helpful.

Heard some breif chatter in the line about the election was pro GOP. Wasnt like there was electioneering just several people who knew each other giving their thoughts.

Will say from the past couple of weeks have noticed more election talk at work. Several people voicing their opinions about how bad the democrats are. However was one guy who is a regular there who is almost homeless. He was asking me if it was possible to vote early as his left wing church was suggesting to him that was the best way to vote.

That seems to be the route the left was taking this election.

William Amos on November 2, 2010 at 5:15 PM

littlemary on November 2, 2010 at 3:42 PM

Happy Birthday Little little Mary.

seesalrun on November 2, 2010 at 5:17 PM

I voted on my college campus today in Tennessee (Knoxville). Last year they used the big ballroom and had about 8 private booths, all in use. A steady stream of people but no huge lines (this is a college campus remember)

Today it was a tiny room with three private booths, only two were in use (including me) and there was about one other person voting besides the polling people.

Something tells me one of tomorrow’s stories will be how Obama DIDN’T get the young to vote this year

Cookies Mom on November 2, 2010 at 5:19 PM

William Amos on November 2, 2010 at 5:15 PM
Funny how the churches are tax exempt but work for the DNC,maybe we will get citizens that work tax cuts,maybe?

Col.John Wm. Reed on November 2, 2010 at 5:20 PM

Cookies Mom on November 2, 2010 at 5:19 PM
Big Orange a no go,this has got to be a big flop for Da Won.

Col.John Wm. Reed on November 2, 2010 at 5:23 PM

By Jim Geraghty
Tags: Exit Polls, Florida

I don’t have the exits, but folks I know in the media and political worlds are getting their first glimpses.

Indicator Number One: I am told that one Democratic strategist, helping a television network with Election Night analysis, just declared that the Democrats were experiencing something on par with mass murder. The GOP counterpart looked at the same numbers and concluded the Democrats are, so far, not getting the urban turnout they need; suburban and rural areas are seeing big turnouts.

Indicator Number Two: One Republican who is seeing early indicators in Florida says, “if this holds, we win everything.”

I want to believe!

WisRich on November 2, 2010 at 5:34 PM

^^^ NOT from Jake Tapper, but, he tweets:
‘wow those early voting numbers (from today) from Florida aint pretty for Dems’ (says he has no figures, just headcounts, basically)

BELIEVE !!

pambi on November 2, 2010 at 5:37 PM

Ed Rendell is on MSNBC. He’s saying that black voters are going to turn things around for the Democrats today. He used the words massive turnout about three times. He was talking about in PA though not nation wide.

Oldnuke on November 2, 2010 at 5:43 PM

LoneStarGal on November 2, 2010 at 2:49 PM

I voted at 9 AM in pct 358. No line, two or three others already voting.

There was a poll watcher with a Donna Campbell sticker on (which was probably not okay, since she was across from the registration table.)

I can’t recall what time I voted in 2008, but there was a bit of a line then, and during the primaries, but nothing this time.

Supposedly we’re in tossup territory according to one poll. I’m going to have a hard time restraining myself from discharging firearms in celebration if Campbell pulls it out.

TexasDan on November 2, 2010 at 5:44 PM

Posted: Nov 02, 2010 4:23 PM EDT

ANNAPOLIS, Md. (AP)- Based on early numbers, Maryland election officials say turnout may be running slightly below average for a gubernatorial election in the state.

State Elections Administrator Linda Lamone says turnout on Tuesday was running about 46 percent of registered voters. About 10 percent of registered voters took advantage of early voting. So the election board is projecting a 56 percent turnout.

Lamone says Maryland gubernatorial elections generally draw about 60 percent of voters.

She says turnout could improve later in the day because it was cold Tuesday morning.

davidk on November 2, 2010 at 5:44 PM

Voted at 4:30pm—about 3 hours later than usual. Generally, my number is in the 30s or 40s for off-year elections when I go at lunch time. Today I was number 247 in the M to Z line (A to L line was at 213). Also, there are three additional are 4 polling places in town of 6,000. So, this is a very high turnout in my town for a midterm.

I’m in Frank Pallone’s (D–11 terms :-( ) District which is reliably blue, but the south end of this gerrymandered nightmare where I am is about 60-40 Reps to Dems.

IrishEi on November 2, 2010 at 5:45 PM

Very good turn out at my polling place in IL-16. Mostly OFs. Very few young people. At about 11:30 AM CDT.

More on IL-16 at:

MSimon on November 2, 2010 at 6:25 PM

I spent the better part of the day outside my local polling place (NC) handing out literature – Staying further than the minimum legal distance for electioneering at all times of course.

My read on the people voting was that a good portion were Conservative Republicans in a good mood (35%-40%)

A fair number were hard to read but they seemed to have made up their minds to vote Republican.

About, say 15%- 20% were Democrats in a not so good mood.

It was a great day!

RustyFeedramps on November 2, 2010 at 6:39 PM

After the heavy turnout of the young and the Latino in 2008, my local polling place was moved to a larger facility. At 7:20 this morning, it was empty except for business people on their way to work and seniors who are always up early for their morning walks. No college students, no wake-and-bakers (surprising, given Prop 19), no anchor babies.

Enthusiasm gap, indeed.

Freelancer on November 2, 2010 at 7:29 PM

Fox flashed Rubio already 51 percent. Didn’t catch how much was in.

hawkdriver on November 2, 2010 at 7:29 PM

We kept Ohio. Fox calls Portman winner!

hawkdriver on November 2, 2010 at 7:32 PM

Voted in Springfield, IL around 3pm CST. I was the only young person in the whole building by a fairly considerable margin (25 myself, next youngest was my dad at 55). There was a small line to the booths but I didn’t have to wait more than a couple minutes.

jollycynic on November 2, 2010 at 7:49 PM

Hi, I am now on “mom duty” but I wanted to share my “eh?” experience. I voted late in the morning.

How did I find out that the lady in front of me was a liberal? That was said out loud on the table! That didn’t happen with me, nor anybody behind me.

I never heard anybody holler “SHEE’S AAAHH DEEEE!”so I was expecting my “SHEEE’S AANN AAHRRR!” but it never happened. I am gonna go on a limb that they were busy looking me up, even though I have a tough last name.

I don’t recall that happening ever here in the States b/c I can’t tell partisanship on the table. It does happen in Puerto Rico. Am I missing something?

ProudPalinFan on November 2, 2010 at 8:13 PM

I meant to say I heard the lady out loud holler, “SHEE’S AAAHH DEEEE!”so I was expecting my “SHEEE’S AANN AAHRRR!” but it never happened. I am gonna go on a limb that they were busy looking me up.

There, fixed./sorry!

ProudPalinFan on November 2, 2010 at 8:28 PM

Well just darn near had a heart attack checking the Gov & Senate polls for PA at Townhall. Has Onorato and Sestak at 98% with 0.1% reporting. Then I realized the only other result was for a Philadelphia House incumbent D, also showing 98% – which means Philly results are reported and out of the way.

Annnd….just checked back and both races are neck and neck at 0.2 reporting.

Sigh…gonna be a long night!

WaltzingMtilda on November 2, 2010 at 8:36 PM