9 p.m.: Midwest polls closing; Winners: John Hoeven; Update: NBC projects 236 seats, GOP takeover of House; Update: Barney Frank wins

posted at 9:00 pm on November 2, 2010 by Allahpundit

Two big Senate races this hour: Ron Johnson looks ready to retire Russ Feingold in Wisconsin and Ken Buck and Michael Bennet are likely headed for a late night in Colorado. In the House, there are a bunch of longshots worth monitoring: Maurice Hinchey and Jim Oberstar, both of whom have been blogged about by Ed repeatedly over the last few weeks, are hoping to hold on in NY-22 and MN-8, respectively. Joe Cao’s seat in LA-2 is also up; that’ll probably be a rare Dem pick-up tonight, thanks in part to Obama having cut a campaign commercial — the only one he did all season, in fact — for Cao’s opponent. (Yes, that district is blue enough that it helped.)

The New York polls also close this hour, so let me give a special hometown shoutout to the worst state party in America: The New York GOP, which had a crack at both Senate seats this year and the governor’s seat in Albany and managed to produce three candidates who are each likely to lose … by 25 points. You almost have to try in order to be that bad. A+ for effort, guys.

Update: The clock strikes nine and instantly both New York Senate races are called for the Democratic incumbents. A+++!

Update: John Hoeven is also an instant winner to replace Byron Dorgan in North Dakota. Not for a single moment in the months since Dorgan announced his retirement was that race in doubt.

Update: As I said in the last thread, Virginia is once again a red state. And so, apparently, is Florida.

Update: With 35 percent reporting, Sean Bielat trails Barney Frank … by 30 points.

Update: A magical moment:

Republicans needed a net gain of 10 to take the Senate, which analysts considered a tough road that required them to win every tight race. But Democrats didn’t seriously dispute expectations that they would lose the House.

NBC News projected that once all the votes were counted, Republicans would hold 236 seats to 199 for the Democrats. If so, Republican leader John Boner [sic] of Ohio would succeed Rep. Nancy Pelisse of California as speaker.

236 seats means a 58-seat pick-up. Sounds about right. Bye, Nancy!

Update: Fox is also now projecting a GOP takeover with 239 Republican seats, which would mean 61. Pop the champagne!

Since a Senate takeover is now out of reach, the rest of the night is all about score-settling. Reid is public enemy number one, Boxer number two, and then Whatsername running as the write-in up there in Alaska.

Update: Captain Queeg vows to find the stolen strawberries:

But leaders had to make a nod toward the party’s unpopularity at the polls. “We haven’t done it … fast enough or big enough,” Majority Leader Steny Hoyer told the crowd, referring to improving the fortunes of many Americans…

Ms. Pelosi, beaming in a white blazer, was more defiant. “We are not going back to the failed policies of the past,” she told the crowd, exiting the stage to the Tina Turner classic “Simply the Best.”

Update: As much as I hope you guys will hang around in the wee hours for Alaskan drama, I feel duty bound to point you to this. If you have to get up early tomorrow, factor it in.

Update: My big worry all along with the Frank/Bielat race was that it would turn into a replay of Murtha’s last two House races in 2006 and 2008. In both years, the righty blogosphere got excited about a young upstart Republican knocking off a loathed liberal senior statesman; in both years, I remember, there was lots of buzz sporadically about polls showing them within striking distance. And then election day would come, and — wipeout. Looks like that’s what’s happening in Frank’s district: Fox News has called the race, and with 59 percent in, the lead is 28 points.

Update: Hey, remember two years ago when people were touting Chet Edwards as a possible Obama VP pick? Like so many other Americans, Edwards is now unemployed.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 7 8 9

rockmom on November 2, 2010 at 10:26 PM

Sweet.

Badger40 on November 2, 2010 at 10:28 PM

LAS VEGAS LIVE STREAMING
*********************************

canopfor on November 2, 2010 at 10:29 PM

LOL had to check.
My mista was goofing around as part of the Navy back then.
I always thought I was an only child, but you just never know….

Badger40 on November 2, 2010 at 10:28 PM

LOL! But then what Navy or Marine didn’t have fun over there? How many children were a ‘surprise’?

upinak on November 2, 2010 at 10:29 PM

The humpbot scares me. Make me wonder if it was made for Allah’s pleasure?

upinak on November 2, 2010 at 10:31 PM

TOOMEY JUST PULLED AHEAD!!!!

82% REPORTING.

rockmom on November 2, 2010 at 10:32 PM

This…is…HUGE.

MadisonConservative on November 2, 2010 at 10:24 PM

YAY!! Hoping NC turns red tonight…still cant find local poll results…weird. How am I missing this?

Bee on November 2, 2010 at 10:33 PM

This…is…HUGE.

MadisonConservative on November 2, 2010 at 10:24 PM

Mrs. Madison must be proud.

Badger40 on November 2, 2010 at 10:34 PM

Oh, I know. I meant, where exactly are you watching the state returns? It’s a big deal for us NCians. *sigh* So anxious.

Bee on November 2, 2010 at 10:20 PM

Sorry about that! :) Trying to read so many things at once.

I’m on WRAL’s website and watching News14 to get the info from the western end. Hate to see Schuler going back and I have got to wonder WTH people are thinking sending Mel Watt and *horrors* Etheridge and Price back.

Had three signs in my yard, one (Bill Randall) lost, one still TCTC (Schriver) and the one local candidate is winning by a significant margin against the D incumbent.

citrus on November 2, 2010 at 10:35 PM

Hey guys. Just wanted to stop in and say congrats on the gains in the House and Senate. Enjoy the night.

crr6 on November 2, 2010 at 10:06 PM

Whoa. No discernable snark. Very brave of you to stop in cr666. Thanks!

Firefly_76 on November 2, 2010 at 10:08 PM

Heh. I am capable of a snark-less post, believe it or not.

I think the next two years will be fun. The debates tend to be better and less prone to Nazi-Mao-Stalin-Mussolini analogies when both sides have a piece of the proverbial power pie.

crr6 on November 2, 2010 at 10:37 PM

GO TOOMEY GO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only 13,500 votes separating Toomey and Sestak — out of over 3 million cast! WOW! But it does look like Toomey is pulling away a little now.

rockmom on November 2, 2010 at 10:37 PM

No matter what else happens tonight, I refuse to see my glass as anything other than half full, more than half full. Brothers and sisters, we have come a long way since just 2 short years ago, and the journey has just begun. Let’s celebrate together because of where we have come already tonight, and thank God the wicked witch has to give her precious gavel back. That thought alone will sustain me for weeks.

oldoldbabs on November 2, 2010 at 10:38 PM

The humpbot scares me. Make me wonder if it was made for Allah’s pleasure?

upinak on November 2, 2010 at 10:31 PM

Utterly terrifying, this robotic sexual future of ours.

;)

Bee on November 2, 2010 at 10:38 PM

Rockmom, where are you? I’m in Allentown.

oldoldbabs on November 2, 2010 at 10:40 PM

oldoldbabs on November 2, 2010 at 10:38 PM

Fu@kin A Bubba!!!

bernzright777 on November 2, 2010 at 10:40 PM

BYE, FEINGOLD!!!

*thankful hugs to MadCon* (because he controls elections)

Bee on November 2, 2010 at 10:41 PM

Fox called SC for Haley!

mbs on November 2, 2010 at 10:41 PM

Nevada Results Delayed?

Ugly on November 2, 2010 at 10:41 PM

citrus on November 2, 2010 at 10:35 PM

Thank you sooo much. :) Been reading too much, as well. Quite schizo tonight!

Bee on November 2, 2010 at 10:42 PM

Nevada Election Results May Be Delayed by Power Outage!!

bernzright777 on November 2, 2010 at 10:42 PM

Fox called SC for Haley!

mbs on November 2, 2010 at 10:41 PM

SUCH GOOD NEWS!!! I hope it holds!

Bee on November 2, 2010 at 10:42 PM

Baldwin is from the district that includes the People’s Republic of Madison.

She’s a huge progressive liberal.

Her UNKNOWN REPUBLICAN opponent…is on her heels.

This…is…HUGE.

MadisonConservative on November 2, 2010 at 10:24 PM

He is a 27 year old who owns a cleaning business!!!! The fact that this isn’t a blowout is amazing. I thought I would be happy if he got 30%

Way to go Johnson!

sammypants on November 2, 2010 at 10:42 PM

Utterly terrifying, this robotic sexual future of ours.

;)

Bee on November 2, 2010 at 10:38 PM

Meh… a bag over it’s head and its the same some I divorced twice

Ugly on November 2, 2010 at 10:43 PM

some = one*

Ugly on November 2, 2010 at 10:43 PM

I think the next two years will be fun.

crr6 on November 2, 2010 at 10:37 PM

I don’t think watching America circle the drain is really that much fun. And it will continue as long as the fed keeps usurping states’ power.
As far as power & pies-I’ll agree we don’t need one party controlling anything.
I don’t think we need party politics at all.
But that ain’t never gonna happen.

Badger40 on November 2, 2010 at 10:44 PM

Heath Schuler?..:)

Dire Straits on November 2, 2010 at 10:46 PM

Rockmom, where are you? I’m in Allentown.

oldoldbabs on November 2, 2010 at 10:40 PM

Doylestown. Doing my happy dance for Mike Fitzpatrick!!!

Looks like Toomey is going to eke it out, but it is going down to the wire. He’s up by 19,000 now.

rockmom on November 2, 2010 at 10:47 PM

I am every excited about this first battle. But its just that – the first battle of many. If the Republican establishment strays from the message they’ve been given tonight…1012 will be another wave.

To quote Lord of the Rings: “The battle for Helm’s Deep is over; the battle for Middle-earth is about to begin”.
s
I am re-energized about our country and the direction we are headed.

journeyscarab on November 2, 2010 at 10:48 PM

8% reporting via Fox has NY-20 Gibson(R) over incumbent Murphy 57% to 43%

Connie on November 2, 2010 at 10:48 PM

Advance apologies for no responses…blastedd…good night, and thank you all for helping to sterr this country back on the tright track!!!

MadisonConservative on November 2, 2010 at 10:49 PM

Doylestown.

rockmom on November 2, 2010 at 10:47 PM

Ah! Felix Doyle & son Barnabas Doyle, Rev War patriotsof that founding Doyle family=my direct ancestors!
I pray for PA!

Badger40 on November 2, 2010 at 10:51 PM

MadisonConservative on November 2, 2010 at 10:49 PM

Make it HUGE! Nighty nite!

Badger40 on November 2, 2010 at 10:51 PM

Mulvaney FTW

Ugly on November 2, 2010 at 10:52 PM

Yahoo, what a wonderful night!!

oldoldbabs on November 2, 2010 at 10:55 PM

MadisonConservative on November 2, 2010 at 10:49 PM

Awwwww…reminds me of affected drunken twitter feeds of olde. ;)

I call your bluff. Stay awake, light weight.

Bee on November 2, 2010 at 10:58 PM

Toomey margin growing – up by 30,000 now.

Altmire and Critz have pulled ahead, though. Bummer.

rockmom on November 2, 2010 at 10:58 PM

crr6 on November 2, 2010 at 10:06 PM

Heh. I am capable of a snark-less post, believe it or not.
crr6 on November 2, 2010 at 10:37 PM

Or maybe we’re having a good influence on you, and you’re seeing the logic of our point of view.
[Cue maniacal laugh] ;-)

Chip on November 2, 2010 at 11:01 PM

crr6 on November 2, 2010 at 10:37 PM

Maybe you should get yorus ide to stop the Bushitler anagloies and maybe we’ll stop responsuibnd in kind. Deal?

MadisonConservative on November 2, 2010 at 11:33 PM

MadisonConservative on November 2, 2010 at 11:33 PM

haha. Drink some water and go to bed dude.

crr6 on November 2, 2010 at 11:51 PM

NY-19 and NY-20 both go to Republicans! Nan Hayworth and Chris Gibson respectively.

Connie on November 3, 2010 at 12:15 AM