Obama: I “probably” shouldn’t have told Latinos to go out there and punish their “enemies”

posted at 8:40 pm on November 1, 2010 by Allahpundit

He included “probably” as a qualifier, I assume, just in case Latino turnout is unusually low tomorrow.

There were arguments being made that because Democrats hadn’t gotten this done, that Latinos should vote against Democrats or just sit out the election.

And I said, well, you can’t punish your friends when — the folks who’ve been supporting it. Now, I did also say if you’re going to punish somebody, punish your enemies, and I probably should have used the word, “opponents” instead of enemies. Now the Republicans are saying that I’m calling them enemies. What I’m saying is you’re an opponent of this particular provision, comprehensive immigration reform, which is something very different.

But the key issue here is that if you are supportive of comprehensive immigration reform, if you are supportive of health care reform, if you are supportive of making sure that credit card companies are treating us fairly, making sure that banks are properly regulated so they don’t end up getting taxpayer bailouts — if you support those things, then you’ve got to support those who helped to put those provisions into law. And you’ve got to make sure that those who are opposed to that legislation, that they get a clear message that they shouldn’t be standing in the way of the progress, but rather we should be moving this country forward.

Is that all he meant, that Republicans who support border enforcement are merely opponents on a particular issue? Because I’m finding that somehow hard to square with something else he said during that same original interview, namely, “Those aren’t the kinds of folks who represent our core American values.” Is it any surprise that, in the course of rank racial pandering and insinuations that people who support Arizona’s law are un-American, he’d lapse rhetorically from “opponents” into “enemies”?

Here’s video of Boehner tonight in Ohio feeding him a giant shinola sandwich on this very point. It’s clever of him to include Clinton in the list of presidents who’d never refer to political opponents as domestic enemies, but I’m not sure that a guy who strategized with Dick Morris about how to use Oklahoma City as a bludgeon against mainstream Republicans belongs in that club. Exit question: How desperate is Harry Reid for Latino turnout to save him against Angle tomorrow? Here’s your answer.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Kinsleyan gaffe?

Allah – you know Obama was born in Hawaii…

Odie1941 on November 1, 2010 at 8:42 PM

Too Late sparky.

Chip on November 1, 2010 at 8:42 PM

It is what he truly believes…

d1carter on November 1, 2010 at 8:43 PM

I’m glad he said it. The mask is off. The President of the United States views more than half of the electorate as his enemies.

He debases the presidency more and more with each passing day.

Cicero43 on November 1, 2010 at 8:43 PM

Hopeys Little Big Horn Karma cometh!!

canopfor on November 1, 2010 at 8:43 PM

It sucks when you get caught saying what you mean.

Scrappy on November 1, 2010 at 8:43 PM

Watch for Obama to rehash the “old do-nothing congress” line for the next two years.`

carbon_footprint on November 1, 2010 at 8:44 PM

Nice try, doofus. You can’t and won’t unscramble that egg, Obozo!

OneVision on November 1, 2010 at 8:44 PM

Oh, from accusations of Teh Won being a Keynesian, to a Kinsleyan? When will you birthers give it a rest!?!
/s

Freelancer on November 1, 2010 at 8:44 PM

Yeah well you shouldn’t have been elected either.

Key West Reader on November 1, 2010 at 8:45 PM

You know that ‘final solution’ thing?
I prolly shouldn’t have done that.Sorry.
–H. Himmler.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on November 1, 2010 at 8:45 PM

So he’s retracting “enemies” but not “punish”?

Nice.

tsj017 on November 1, 2010 at 8:45 PM

“I probably don’t have all the facts in this case, but I think Obama spoke stupidly.” – TOTUS

Electrongod on November 1, 2010 at 8:45 PM

“I probably shouldn’t have exposed myself, but it wasn’t my fault.”

the_nile on November 1, 2010 at 8:45 PM

If he wants to call me his enemy, I’m fine with that. The feeling is mutual.

Ronnie on November 1, 2010 at 8:46 PM

Too Late sparky.

Chip on November 1, 2010 at 8:42 PM

yepper

cmsinaz on November 1, 2010 at 8:46 PM

Considering 70% of Colorado Latinos APPROVE of an Arizona-type immigration law, does that mean Latinos’ enemies are….. LATINO????

picklesgap on November 1, 2010 at 8:46 PM

Someone`s a bit scared of the Boehner speech tonight. I imagine it is getting harder and harder to drag him out of dark closets and get his thumb out of his mouth. Man is a bit paranoid if you ask me.

bluemarlin on November 1, 2010 at 8:46 PM

A community organizer’s stock in trade is creating antagonism by pitting groups against each other. It’s all that President Alinsky knows.

Cicero43 on November 1, 2010 at 8:46 PM

As Roger Ebert might say in a review.

SteveMG on November 1, 2010 at 8:47 PM

Thats what happens when TOTUS is left
to conjure up the Speechs!!

There.Is.No.Excuses.

Obama has been in NeverEnding Story Perpetual
OverDrive Campaign Community Organizational
Sh*t-Distrubing Mode,ever since he Ka-Botched
his Oath Swearing In!!!!!!!!!!!!!

canopfor on November 1, 2010 at 8:47 PM

Hey, BHO, it’s too late to apologize.

madmonkphotog on November 1, 2010 at 8:47 PM

I don’t agree with Obama – so I’m the enemy, I should sit in the back and keep my mouth shut – and if I should speak my mind, Obama’s disciples should get in my face. What a guy!

themediansib on November 1, 2010 at 8:48 PM

Sorry, Barry. We all know what you meant. You’re not as smooth as Tony Montana.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on November 1, 2010 at 8:48 PM

Dedication to Team Left
==========================================

Alice Cooper – Go to H*ll

canopfor on November 1, 2010 at 8:48 PM

The problem for the Enemy-Maker-In-Chief is that the enemies he has made WILL NOT SOON FORGET. Everyone without a job, or with a spouse without a job, or with a relative or neighbor without a job… WILL NOT SOON FORGET. It does not matter what he tries in the next two years. 2012 can’t come soon enough, and The One will be transformed… into the The Forgotten One.

Myno on November 1, 2010 at 8:49 PM

Sorry, sport. We know what ya meant.

Rational Thought on November 1, 2010 at 8:50 PM

Obama called me his enemy. I understand that full well.

Latinos he said it too understood it too.

I doubt many of them agree with him. I just think they think he is desperate. And a despicable leader to turn against the American people that way.

And Latinos: if he can treat me this way, he can treat you this way too. Don’t be his tool.

petunia on November 1, 2010 at 8:50 PM

He said it. He meant it.

Jvette on November 1, 2010 at 8:50 PM

We’ll square accounts tomorrow, Barry.

Cicero43 on November 1, 2010 at 8:51 PM

Dear Obama,

Don’t you hate it “when men on the chess board get up and tell you where to go“?

Sincerely,

A Pawn No More

Terrie on November 1, 2010 at 8:51 PM

Obama speaks at La Raza Event

=================

Obama Says “Argue With Neighbors, Get In Their Face”

canopfor on November 1, 2010 at 8:51 PM

Tomorrow. Punish.

WhatsRight on November 1, 2010 at 8:51 PM

Obama, consider the results of tomorrow’s election as an intervention, Dude.

carbon_footprint on November 1, 2010 at 8:51 PM

Sorry, Mr. Obama. I can’t hear what you’re saying for the roar of this wave coming ashore!!

AubieJon on November 1, 2010 at 8:52 PM

“I probably shouldn’t have said what I thought.”

The Mega Independent on November 1, 2010 at 8:52 PM

1. When Community Organizing in Chicago I can’t help but wonder how often he told his followers that they were going to punish their “enemies.” It’s apparently the only mind frame that he seems to able to operate from. Not surprising, considering that he’s never really had any significant position in the private sector.

2. As each excruciating month passes it becomes obvious why this President uses his teleprompters more often than anyone else in history.

visions on November 1, 2010 at 8:53 PM

The guy isn’t the black FDR, he’s the black Nixon.

Bruno Strozek on November 1, 2010 at 8:53 PM

Wow. The future history books will have a lot of footnotes next to Obama’s quotes to properly explain what he meant.

Electrongod on November 1, 2010 at 8:53 PM

Obama, shut up.

chai on November 1, 2010 at 8:53 PM

Obama To Latinos: ” A ustedes, punish your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women”.

V-rod on November 1, 2010 at 8:54 PM

you’ve got to support those who helped to put those provisions into law

Yea, I’ll support their right to find SOME OTHER JOB. Starting TOMORROW NIGHT.

Myno on November 1, 2010 at 8:55 PM

He acted stupidly.

WisCon on November 1, 2010 at 8:55 PM

He should have said:

Klaatu Barada Nikto

Kini on November 1, 2010 at 8:55 PM

Why not… suddenly words matter? You said to “bring a gun”, to “hit back twice as hard”, and asked “whose ass to kick”, told your zombies to “argue with neighbors, get in their face”…
Well, some of us are sayin screw you. You are a POS, and there’s only one thing to do with you… Flush.

RalphyBoy on November 1, 2010 at 8:55 PM

“What is best in life?”

“To crush your enemiesopponents, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women.”

GnuBreed on November 1, 2010 at 8:56 PM

chow down~!! take another bite! Do you wanna wash it down with some slurpee? here ya go~…PSYCHE! all slurped up!

ted c on November 1, 2010 at 8:56 PM

He didn’t mean enemy-enemy.

Lily on November 1, 2010 at 8:57 PM

Oooh. I bet Moochelle gonna kick his skinny behind to-nite!

Key West Reader on November 1, 2010 at 8:57 PM

harry reid is just trying to get the latinos to DREAM a little longer. The pot of gold is just over the “next” hill, we just have to get past these smelly republicans.

carrots.

ted c on November 1, 2010 at 8:57 PM

You know exactly what PBHO thinks of people who don’t fall for his takeover agenda. You also know that if he could duplicate what Chavez is doing he would.

Bishop on November 1, 2010 at 8:57 PM

Islamic terrorists = misunderstood

Conservatives = enemies

Good Lt on November 1, 2010 at 8:57 PM

Sorry, you cannot take a Mulligan on that

Kini on November 1, 2010 at 8:58 PM

The guy isn’t the black FDR, he’s the black Nixon.

Bruno Strozek on November 1, 2010 at 8:53 PM

I’d substitute Mussolini, myself. But that’s just me and my friend who told me that Obama gives him the creeps – just like he felt before he had to flee Mussolini’s Italy before the war.

turfmann on November 1, 2010 at 8:58 PM

Instant karma’s gonna get you
Gonna knock you right in the head
Better get yourself together
Pretty soon your’re gonna be
[politically] dead.

OneVision on November 1, 2010 at 8:59 PM

Actually, what Obama meant to say is, “Merci beaucoup.”

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on November 1, 2010 at 8:59 PM

A hail Mary from the Agitator in Chief.

I heard Chris Van Holland trying to spin this as “this comment is really all in the GOP’s mind – but he didn’t mean what he said, they are just using it for campaigning smears”.

I’ve paraphrased, but it sounded even more idiotic out of his mouth.

tru2tx on November 1, 2010 at 9:00 PM

“Probably?” Gosh, you think??

If you can call that an apology (and it isn’t one), I’m not accepting it.

WannabeAnglican on November 1, 2010 at 9:00 PM

Can you imagine a President that actually believes in the GREATNESS of America?

Someone in the Oval office that might be willing to be a SERVANT of the people instead of being their Messiah.

here’s a sneak peek at someone that might be that person that the DOTUS thinks is the rube/hick/hayseed that we all are to him….

PappyD61 on November 1, 2010 at 9:00 PM

“Those aren’t the kinds of folks who represent our core American values.”

And the moonbats who still have their panties in a wad over Palin’s “real Americans” comment nod in agreement.

ddrintn on November 1, 2010 at 9:00 PM

And this walk-back by Obama provides even MORE reason to disrespect him: he’s walking-back the nasty reference to Americans as “enemies” to one safer BECAUSE, so he claims, “Republicans say (doodah) about it.”

He’s using his own deplorable nastiness to promote his original point (we Americans are “enemies” in his view) by pointing his nasty finger at Republicans, not at himself or admitting his own nastiness in that statement he made.

He might just as well be repeating the first statement (referring to Americans as “enemies”) because, in essence, he is…

I loathe the man because he never accepts — sincerely — any of his liabilities nor indicates any ability to improve his failings (which include his plummeting lately into very deplorable speech).

Lourdes on November 1, 2010 at 9:00 PM

You guys are all racist for making Obama change his story.
/crr6

NoFanofLibs on November 1, 2010 at 9:01 PM

That’s “Mr. Speaker Boehner” to you, Barry!

rockmom on November 1, 2010 at 9:01 PM

visions on November 1, 2010 at 8:53 PM

After Joe the Plumber… the Obama crew realized that he was not going to survive unless every w.o.r.d. was spelled out for him… A.l.l. the t.i.m.e. When he’s off the TP the uhhhs and ummms are his editor engaging.
Fakous Maximus. History will not be kind.

RalphyBoy on November 1, 2010 at 9:01 PM

off teleprompter the truth seems to always flop out on the floor with Obama.

tarpon on November 1, 2010 at 9:01 PM

Oh look, it’s the Snookie of the Republican party.

txag92 on November 1, 2010 at 9:02 PM

Obama is a god

GW_SS-Delta on November 1, 2010 at 9:03 PM

Millions of patriotic Americans are settling in for a good night’s sleep so they can go to the polls tomorrow to smite their “enemies.”

Cicero43 on November 1, 2010 at 9:03 PM

Politics 101:
Demonizing your opposition will not get you support, you get support by convincing the uncertain.

Kini on November 1, 2010 at 9:03 PM

Too Late sparky.

Chip on November 1, 2010 at 8:42 PM
====================
yepper

cmsinaz on November 1, 2010 at 8:46 PM

cmsinaz:I #2nd that yepper:)

canopfor on November 1, 2010 at 9:03 PM

Well, since he’s a confirmed, pathological liar, I’m going to say no, that’s not what he meant…or said. He said what he meant and it was very clear…which he only does when dehumanizing Americans.

AUINSC on November 1, 2010 at 9:03 PM

“What is best in life?”

GnuBreed on November 1, 2010 at 8:56 PM

HaHa! I was trying to think of that quote from Conan the Barbarian so I could tie it to the election tomorrow.

+10

Jvette on November 1, 2010 at 9:04 PM

A good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart[a] brings forth evil. For out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks.

/Jesus

own it barry.

lukespapa on November 1, 2010 at 9:04 PM

Could it be…………………that he pushed it tooooooo
faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar!!

canopfor on November 1, 2010 at 9:04 PM

So is it the fault of the guy who typed it on the teleprompter? Or did Obama just come up with it all by himself?

ctmom on November 1, 2010 at 9:04 PM

Just got a call from a staffer of Leiberman’s who says the whispers in the corridors the Dhim’s are are facing an epic collapse. Bawney Fwank’s in worse shape than thought and he’s betting Beilat takes him out. On top of that, rumor has it that McMahon really is within the MoE. he also ventured that the NV pollling is way off and predicted Angle ousts Reid by 7pts!

Thats the gossip amongst Dhim staffers on the hill, if its even part right election ’10 is gonna be epic!

Archimedes on November 1, 2010 at 9:04 PM

I am half hispanic, can someone tell me who I am supposed to hate, this is so confusing, now I am at war with myself which has my wife looking at me quite oddly and holding a white jacket.

Ok, jokes aside, screw you Obama! I am well aware of who my opponents are (liberal ideas) and what philosophy holds better promise for me!

bluemarlin on November 1, 2010 at 9:05 PM

Thread Theme!
=============

Point of Know Return- Kansas

canopfor on November 1, 2010 at 9:05 PM

Now the Republicans are saying that I’m calling them enemies. What I’m saying is you’re an opponent of this particular provision, comprehensive immigration reform, which is stop quoting me verbatim, so that I can say something very different today from what I actually said yesterday and make what I said today sound like what I said yesterday.

Barnestormer on November 1, 2010 at 9:06 PM

All part of Obama’s civilian army.

Wait ’till he calls on all those whose 99 weeks of unemployment ends.

Or, turns off the spigot to all those receiving welfare.

BowHuntingTexas on November 1, 2010 at 9:06 PM

What a pathetic attempt at a walkback. Punishing your enemies and rewarding your friends is mothers-milk to Obama – straight out of the Chicago politics playbook. He truely believes that any opponent of his agenda is an enemy and not just an enemy of Obama but an Enemy of the People. This guy gets more dangerous by the day. How long will it be before he melts down and does something unthinkable?

lonesomecharlie on November 1, 2010 at 9:06 PM

Le herr tipp’n point,hovering over zee precipice!!

canopfor on November 1, 2010 at 9:07 PM

Is there at point at which he intends to be President of the entire United States of America?

obladioblada on November 1, 2010 at 9:07 PM

Archimedes on November 1, 2010 at 9:04 PM

That is awesome gossip, hope it is true.

bluemarlin on November 1, 2010 at 9:07 PM

OK, Obama’s Ron Burgundy moment.

Kini on November 1, 2010 at 9:07 PM

Or, turns off the spigot to all those receiving welfare.

BowHuntingTexas on November 1, 2010 at 9:06 PM

BowHuntingTexas: And shut off the dam* KOOL-AID Spigot
as well!(sarc).

canopfor on November 1, 2010 at 9:08 PM

“Hispandering?”

kurtzz3 on November 1, 2010 at 9:08 PM

So he’s retracting “enemies” but not “punish”?

tsj017 on November 1, 2010 at 8:45 PM

Obama’s associating love of country and national security of country with that hypothetical unwanted child “mistake” he’d advocate an abortion of…

Lourdes on November 1, 2010 at 9:09 PM

Obama’s Hispanic base is down to Raul Grijalva and that bumblebee from the Simpsons.

Ted Torgerson on November 1, 2010 at 9:10 PM

So he’s retracting “enemies” but not “punish”?

Nice.

tsj017 on November 1, 2010 at 8:45 PM

Exactly my reaction. I’d say ‘punish your opponents’ only slightly better than ‘punish your enemies’.

clement on November 1, 2010 at 9:10 PM

OK, Obama’s latest Ron Burgundy moment.

Kini on November 1, 2010 at 9:07 PM

bluemarlin on November 1, 2010 at 9:10 PM

Archimedes on November 1, 2010 at 9:04 PM

That would be breathtaking.. :)

Dire Straits on November 1, 2010 at 9:10 PM

Kinsleyan gaffe?

Allah – you know Obama was born in Hawaii…

Odie1941 on November 1, 2010 at 8:42 PM

Kinsleyan Alinskyan gaffe.

FIFY
And you know he wasn’t born in Alaska.

(But in one of the other 57 states.*)
___________________________________________________

*Was Obama thinking of the OIC?

profitsbeard on November 1, 2010 at 9:10 PM

OK, Obama’s Ron Burgundy moment.

Kini on November 1, 2010 at 9:07 PM

Kini:Just had an inspiration,tomorrow afternoon should be,:)
===========================================================

Starland Vocal Band – Afternoon Delight w/ lyrics

canopfor on November 1, 2010 at 9:10 PM

Yeah, and I “probably” shouldn’t wish a pox on your house, Barry Soetero.

SouthernGent on November 1, 2010 at 9:11 PM

I don’t trust Boehner as far as I can throw him.

Not once did he mention the immigration issue which was the subject of Obama’s stupid remark.

rickyricardo on November 1, 2010 at 9:11 PM

Brevity is a wonderful thing:

“I probably shouldn’t have said what I thought.”

The Mega Independent on November 1, 2010 at 8:52 PM

This is a very entertaining thread.

tru2tx on November 1, 2010 at 9:11 PM

obladioblada on November 1, 2010 at 9:07 PM

Sure when you submit to his philosophy or when he has the power to impose it on you, then and only then!

bluemarlin on November 1, 2010 at 9:11 PM

We’re his enemies; Ahmedinajab, not so much.

LASue on November 1, 2010 at 9:12 PM

Go ahead, admit it Barry. You love a damn slurpee.

mike_NC9 on November 1, 2010 at 9:12 PM