Murkowski hints: Maybe I won’t caucus with the GOP after all; Update: Murkowski says she’ll caucus with GOP

posted at 6:00 pm on November 1, 2010 by Allahpundit

The money quote: “I’m not my party’s nominee right now. In a way, that’s really very liberating – to know that I’m going back, truly representing all of Alaska’s interests, not necessarily just my party.” If you’re wondering why she’s suddenly flirting with full independence after insisting all along that she’ll remain a Republican, let PPP help you out. Final poll: Miller 37, Murkowski 30, McAdams 30.

It appears that Murkowski will lose this race. There are 2 main reasons for that. The first is that she retained little goodwill from Republicans after deciding to make an independent bid. Only 27% of GOP voters are planning to vote for her on Tuesday, down from 31% from a PPP poll earlier in October. The second reason Murkowski’s headed for a loss is that she failed to dominate with independents. She is slightly ahead with them, getting 34% to 32% for McAdams and 31% for Miller. But they’re not providing her with a strong base of support the way Democrats are for McAdams and Republicans for Miller.

Just like her doppelganger Charlie Crist, playing both sides of the fence has caused her to hemorrhage Republican support without picking up the Democratic/indie support that she needs. No one likes a power-hungry opportunist, so now her best bet is to try to convince Democrats that McAdams is doomed and she’s the only game in town if they want to stop Miller. Think this new poll indicating that she’s tied with Miller is going to help?

Honestly, the numbers in this race have been so screwy and contradictory over the past few weeks, I’m prepared for literally any outcome. McAdams wins, followed by Miller and Murkowski? Could be! Miller wins, with McAdams and Murkowski a distant second and third? Not unlikely! Murkowski wins, with Miller a close second and McAdams an also ran? Sure, why not! Exit question: If daddy’s little senator pulls it out, are we going to see that independent Senate caucus that I wrote about a few weeks ago? Hmmmm.

Update: Ah, life as an independent, forever trying to please both sides.

“I have caucused with the Republicans in the past, I will be caucusing with the Republicans when I go back in January,” said Murkowski in a phone interview, responding to recent news reports speculating whether she’d buck the party, and comments Murkowski made over the weekend saying that if elected, she would represent Alaska before the Republican Party…

“I’m not sure why they were confusing, I have made it very clear throughout: I have not changed my party registration throughout this candidacy,” she said.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Hey. Shut up. We just write big. I hope there’s lines on the paper. I really good at staying in the lines. Sometimes.

xax on November 1, 2010 at 6:35 PM

How about looking up all thejudges as you have to vote for them as well….

upinak on November 1, 2010 at 6:54 PM

My prediction:

Miller-38%
McAdmams-32%
Princess-30%

ConservativePartyNow on November 1, 2010 at 6:28 PM

You have high hopes.

upinak on November 1, 2010 at 6:55 PM

Liza Murkovitz is sending her resume to CNN this very moment. Parker/Spitzer will become a trio.

slickwillie2001 on November 1, 2010 at 6:56 PM

I put this loser in the same category as Pelosi. Incompetent narcissist.

FireBlogger on November 1, 2010 at 6:59 PM

You know Lisa, not being Alaska’s nominee/senator might just be even more liberating…maybe you should try it!

clement on November 1, 2010 at 7:04 PM

If she were a little more tanned and had short white hair why she could be Charlie Crisp in drag!

inspectorudy on November 1, 2010 at 7:14 PM

Lisa will get around 23%. You heard it here first. Polls are easy. Summoning up the gumption to go write-in a non-electrifying candidate because of name recognition is a pain.

MadisonConservative on November 1, 2010 at 7:16 PM

Mukalowski is a Joy Behar Republican

PappyD61 on November 1, 2010 at 6:18 PM

My God, I never thought it was possible to brutally libel Joy Behar! :<

ebrown2 on November 1, 2010 at 7:19 PM

Smeagol comes to mind.

“The nasty Teabaggers wants to hurt the preciousssss….. It’s ours, my preciousssss….We do thissss for the people of Alasssssskaaaaa, my preciousssss…”

On Wednesday morning I want to hear her say, “It burrrrrns us, my Preciousssssss!!!!!”

IronDioPriest on November 1, 2010 at 7:19 PM

Think this new poll indicating that she’s tied with MillerMcAdams is going to help?

Typo.

RINO in Name Only on November 1, 2010 at 7:25 PM

I think this may be an election where a larger number of people will just vote straight Republican. It’s one thing for those polled to say they prefer Murkowski, but perhaps a whole different scenario will take place in the voting booth. Write-ins are still less likely to prevail in a state-wide race, I would think…or maybe I should say, I hope.

Constance on November 1, 2010 at 7:31 PM

Unprincipled self-absorbed b1tch.

Midas on November 1, 2010 at 7:33 PM

Heard today that there are 180 names of write-ins on eight pages so have fun folks voting for Meesa Lurcowski…

KCinLV on November 1, 2010 at 7:39 PM

I am really going to enjoy watching the end of this woman’s career tomorrow.

Chris of Rights on November 1, 2010 at 7:44 PM

Why is it that ‘centrist’ has become a polite label for ‘turncoat reject’?

And why is the GOP so afflicted with these ‘centrists’?

I’m sorry, but you can be a REAL centrist and still believe in small government. You can be a REAL centrist and still believe cap-and-trade is a command-and-control cherry on a steaming pile of pseudoscientific bovine fecal matter. You can be a REAL centrist and believe that abortion ought not be a matter that the federal government has to stick its nose into (and you can in fact be a REAL centrist and believe that it should be just as legitimate for, say, New Jersey to keep abortion legal through two trimesters as for, say, Tennessee to ban it outright.)

JEM on November 1, 2010 at 7:45 PM

Who else has ever won by threatening to join the losing team?

The Rock on November 1, 2010 at 8:03 PM

Palin doesn’t even have the capacity to understand the GOP USED her to motivate their base, and then they would discard her like yesterdays garbage after the election……the GOP establishment never would, nor never will consider her a credible candidate for any elected office–other than dog catcher…. Remember, Palin ran on the ticket with McCain–the “anti-GOP establishemnt”, and she is surprised their powerful machine would turn on her, and mow her into the ground to make mulch of her? Just goes to show how politlcally naive and stupid Palin truly is, and I am not a republican but could see this coming more than 6 months ago. Palin is a Fool!!!!!!

bifidis on November 1, 2010 at 8:06 PM

I will be caucusing with the Republicans when I go back in January

yeah, like ‘cuz daddy already bought me a ticket so I can sit in my Senate seat and such….

@Lisa

ted c on November 1, 2010 at 8:07 PM

Macrowski also said she would accept the outcome of the primary and support the GOP candidate.

SilentWatcher on November 1, 2010 at 8:10 PM

SilentWatcher

Yep! Can’t believe a thing she says. She’s shown herself to political scum who’ll do anything to keep that power. Up to, and including, siding with the dems.

thekingtut on November 1, 2010 at 8:20 PM

I hope all 3 of the M’s get 33 1/3% of the vote. (With one vote that’s so distorted it could belong to any one of the three)

I want this particular election to be so convoluted that it will take until November of 2011 to figure who in the hell won.

ButterflyDragon on November 1, 2010 at 8:20 PM

Testing, testing! Will this post?

thekingtut on November 1, 2010 at 8:20 PM

If only the good people of AK send her home.

She can go in business with Charlie Crist.

Schadenfreude on November 1, 2010 at 8:21 PM

Palin is a Fool!!!!!!

bifidis on November 1, 2010 at 8:06 PM

We’ll see who will be left standing.

the_nile on November 1, 2010 at 8:22 PM

Taranto’s “Best of the Web” has a rollicking good time at Murkowski’s expense today. Here is just a taste of the fun:

The U.S. Senate campaign in Alaska was supposed to be a dull affair, with Republican incumbent Lola Palooza easily winning re-election. Instead, it has turned out to be the wildest race in a wild year. First, Palooza–opposed by Sarah Palin, who had beaten the senator’s father, Francisco Franco, in the 2006 primary for governor–lost her primary to Joe Miller.

The loser then announced that she would stay in the race as a write-in candidate, notwithstanding the difficulty of spelling “Mikolajczyk.” Result, as the New York Times reports: The Democrat, Scott McAdams, now has a better chance of winning this seat–albeit still a slim one–than any other one currently held by a Republican.

Then things got really interesting. As the Alaska Dispatch reports, the state’s Division of Elections decided to give Misdirectski a boost by changing its regulations to provide for the distribution of lists of registered write-in candidates at polling places.

onlineanalyst on November 1, 2010 at 8:25 PM

Honest to God. Where do people like Murkowski come from? The woodwork?

ultracon on November 1, 2010 at 8:30 PM

KCinLV on November 1, 2010 at 7:39 PM

That right there is comedy gold. I’m surprised Princess didn’t sue to have the list pared down to one or two names.

LOL

ButterflyDragon on November 1, 2010 at 8:33 PM

Lisa, you are a traitor. You won’t be caucasing with either party, since you’re gonna lose tomorrow.

disa on November 1, 2010 at 8:45 PM

———————-: ———

———————-: ———

———————-: ———

Watching She Who Must Not Be Named backpedal: Priceless.

Someone else will have to fill in the blanks. I’ve got to run.

But it could have been hilarious…..

tom on November 1, 2010 at 8:47 PM

bifidis on November 1, 2010 at 8:06 PM

Don’t quit your day job – as a political analyst, you don’t have the chops.

disa on November 1, 2010 at 8:48 PM

Let’s see – what do Arlen Specter, Charlie Crist, and Lisa Muklukski have in common?

disa on November 1, 2010 at 8:50 PM

Benedict Mudkowski, bad form to play all sides for your own selfish gain.

Sandybourne on November 1, 2010 at 9:03 PM

I’m not sure who I hate more. This bitch or Joy Behar.

angryed on November 1, 2010 at 9:10 PM

Ahhhh, but who will Daddy’s lil gurl’s playmates be during the lameduck session?

Gohawgs on November 1, 2010 at 9:12 PM

Miller will win. Murkowski has done nothing but alienate Republicans since the primary, and she won’t take enough Democrats away from the true-believers who’ll vote for McAdams to overcome Miller’s energized supporters.

Edouard on November 1, 2010 at 9:17 PM

Lisa Mertz. I can’t even listen to her. C’MON MILLER-MAN!
Don’t the Alaskan results take D-A-Y-S to complete???

Yellowdog12 on November 1, 2010 at 10:28 PM

Does daddy have another position lined up for the princess in case she loses tomorrow?

mobydutch on November 1, 2010 at 11:22 PM

Ahh, I think the voters will have other ideas, dearie.

chickasaw42 on November 2, 2010 at 12:11 AM

Lisa be down -7. I think she pretty much would say ANYTHING to get elected at this point, including “I’ll caucus with the Republicans . . .”.

GO away bad RINO dream. GO away.

BigAlSouth on November 2, 2010 at 6:38 AM

Believe this self serving dolt at your own peril.

rplat on November 2, 2010 at 6:49 AM

Thus dropping any pretense this was about principles

pgrossjr on November 2, 2010 at 6:58 AM

mobydutch on November 1, 2010 at 11:22 PM

How about tying her to an iceberg and setting it adrift?

Apt ending to her pointless political career.

NoDonkey on November 2, 2010 at 9:53 AM

Could you at least coil Up and start Rattling (like all the Rest do here in Arizona) before you shoot your yapper off Again, Senator Murkowski? Please? Thanks S’Much.

Teddy on November 2, 2010 at 6:31 PM