Glenn Beck: Let’s face it, that Stewart/Colbert rally was awful

posted at 7:21 pm on November 1, 2010 by Allahpundit

To cleanse the palate. As Greg Gutfeld said on Twitter while the rally was going on, “Feel like I’m watching a celebrity child’s birthday party.” Stewart takes a few knocks here but Colbert — certainly the more partisan of the two — gets the brunt of it. Yet I can’t help feeling that Glenn’s missing the joke of holding a “rally to restore sanity” and inviting a guy onstage who once endorsed killing Salman Rushdie for blaspheming Islam. Or … was that part of the “rally to restore fear”? That makes sense, then.

A response from the intended victim via Standpoint’s Nick Cohen:

PS Just had this message from Rushdie: “I’ve always liked Stewart and Colbert but what on earth was Cat Yusuf Stevens Islam doing on that stage? If he’s a “good Muslim” like Kareem Abdul-Jabbar then I’m the Great Pumpkin. Happy Halloween.”

PPS: Just had this from my marvellous Observer colleague Andrew Anthony: “He told me in 1997, eight years after saying on TV that Rushdie should be lynched, that he was in favour of stoning women to death for adultery. He also reconfirmed his position on Rushdie. He set up the Islamia school in Brent, which is currently undergoing council-backed expansion. Its mission statement three years ago explicitly stated that its aim was to bring about the submission of the individual, the community and the world at large to Islam. For this aim it now receives state funding. Its an incubator of the most bonkers religious extremism and segregation, and is particularly strong on the public erasure of women. Why do people go to such lengths to ignore these aspects of Yusuf Islam’s character and philosophy?

Relax, buddy: I’m sure he condones the public erasure of women ironically. Exit question: Is Beck right that he and Stewart had similar “we’re better people than this” messages? Wasn’t Beck one of the people featured in Stewart’s talking-head montage of those who are allegedly preventing us from being better people because they demonize the other side? Click the image to watch.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

They tried to get Charles Manson but he was already booked.

*rimshot*

SurferDoc on November 1, 2010 at 8:37 PM

Yeah, having Cat Yusuf perform is just like having Charles Manson perform.

Proud Rino on November 1, 2010 at 8:35 PM

You’re right, my bad. Manson might actually be a talented singer.

Good Solid B-Plus on November 1, 2010 at 8:38 PM

Sorta like the entire teaparty being tagged as racists all over the media when a few sign carrying LaRouches show up in the audience eh?

canditaylor68 on November 1, 2010 at 8:36 PM

Yes, exactly like that.

Proud Rino on November 1, 2010 at 8:39 PM

That was a Rally for “People Who Don’t Wipe Themselves Fully”?

SurferDoc on November 1, 2010 at 8:36 PM

No, but it was a liberal rally, so I imagine it probably smelled like it.

Proud Rino on November 1, 2010 at 8:40 PM

If they had Cat Stevens’ “Peace Train” in a medley with Michael Vick singing “How Much Is That Doggie in the Window?”, that would have been hip, ironic and funny.

Terrie on November 1, 2010 at 8:40 PM

Yes, exactly like that.

Proud Rino on November 1, 2010 at 8:39 PM

Yeah, we all know how enraged you get when conservatives are unfairly depicted in a negative light.

Good Solid B-Plus on November 1, 2010 at 8:41 PM

canditaylor68 on November 1, 2010 at 8:36 PM

Yes, exactly like that.

Proud Rino on November 1, 2010 at 8:39 PM

Which tactic you engaged in yourself.

Anyway, Rushdie didn’t seem to be too cool with the clever, cleverrrrr joke from Jon Stewart. Face it, the thing was a train wreck. Beck could pull off an event that had at least a little coherence, Stewart couldn’t.

ddrintn on November 1, 2010 at 8:42 PM

Terrie on November 1, 2010 at 8:40 PM

John Mark Karr can also join in with his own special take on Oingo Boingo’s “Little Girls.”

Good Solid B-Plus on November 1, 2010 at 8:43 PM

You’re right, my bad. Manson might actually be a talented singer.

Good Solid B-Plus on November 1, 2010 at 8:38 PM

Manson and his gang actually lived for awhile with Dennis Wilson of the Beach Boys, who recorded them singing some of Charlie’s songs. Manson’s intended target was record producer Terry Melcher.

Terrie on November 1, 2010 at 8:44 PM

Terrie on November 1, 2010 at 8:40 PM

Oh, yeahhhhhh….brilliant!

ddrintn on November 1, 2010 at 8:44 PM

Which tactic you engaged in yourself.

ddrintn on November 1, 2010 at 8:42 PM

OK, find where I called the Tea Party as a whole racists. I’m sure there are some racists in the Tea Party, like there were some violent idiots at the Sanity Rally. Doesn’t indict the group as a whole. Is it that complicated?

Proud Rino on November 1, 2010 at 8:44 PM

Good Solid B-Plus on November 1, 2010 at 8:43 PM

Well played!

Terrie on November 1, 2010 at 8:45 PM

OK, find where I called the Tea Party as a whole racists.

Proud Rino on November 1, 2010 at 8:44 PM

The implication was always there. I’m not much into doing a search right at this very moment, but look for the post or headline having to do with the audio of someone allegedly calling congressmen the n-word.

ddrintn on November 1, 2010 at 8:46 PM

^ If someone else has the time and/or inclination, he/she can find it.

ddrintn on November 1, 2010 at 8:47 PM

I have no idea bro, I just think it’s stupid that people are attacking them for having Cat Muslim there singing part of “Peace Train,” and now that’s somehow an implicit endorsement of murdering Salman Rushdie. Sheesh.

Proud Rino on November 1, 2010 at 8:21 PM

If Glenn Beck had had a homicidal religious zealot at his rally, the left and their partisan partners in the media would have come unhinged. It would have had wall-to-wall coverage for a month. We’re just making fun of the absurdity of inviting this guy to the “Rally to Restore Sanity” — and then he sings “Peace Train”! It is beyond absurd. How do you suppose Salman Rushdie and his family feel about Jon Stewart’s and the left’s idolization of a man who wants Rushdie murdered for writing a book, a man who said he would personally deliver Rushdie to Iran for his execution? Something tells me the left wouldn’t have been discussing the irony in inviting a person with such views to Beck’s stage — they would be out for blood and demanding Beck’s removal from the airwaves. Sheesh indeed.

Rational Thought on November 1, 2010 at 8:47 PM

Next year, they can take Charles Manson on a weekend furlough so he can lead a rousing karaoke rendition of “Last Train to Clarksville.”

Good Solid B-Plus on November 1, 2010 at 8:33 PM

Well they wouldn’t have gotten Davy Jones to do his version of “Last Train to Clarksville” I would bet. Not if the point was to mock patriotic Americans.

He did a concert in Deadwood SD for Kool Deadwood Nites in 2009 and he gave a little speech about how great the US has been to him and how appreciative he was of this country’s greatness. The crowd here LOVED it. It made me teary-eyed to hear an immigrant such as himself praise the American Ideal and I wouldn’t be a bit surprised to hear he was a Teapartier.

Lily on November 1, 2010 at 8:47 PM

It was Chuck E Cheeeeeesey, from what little I saw of it (provided by the feed right here). I got the feeling it was more of an “I bet I can draw a bigger crowd than you can” kind of thing. And Arianna the opportunist didn’t just jump on the bus, she paid for a bunch of them.

scalleywag on November 1, 2010 at 8:48 PM

Proud Rino on November 1, 2010 at 8:44 PM

It does if the violent idiot is on stage and everyone cheers for him.

Ronnie on November 1, 2010 at 8:49 PM

scalleywag on November 1, 2010 at 8:48 PM

ROFL…true enough.

ddrintn on November 1, 2010 at 8:50 PM

Proud Rino on November 1, 2010 at 8:44 PM

So if the Beck rally had some of the Westboro nuts give a rousing rendition of ‘Kumbaya My Lord’, you wouldn’t have had any problem with that, right?

sharrukin on November 1, 2010 at 8:51 PM

ddrintn on November 1, 2010 at 8:46 PM

All I said was that I thought I heard someone say the N word. Because I did. I didn’t say that condemns the movement or the group as a whole.

Proud Rino on November 1, 2010 at 8:54 PM

sharrukin on November 1, 2010 at 8:51 PM

No, but that’s all they’re known for. Cat Stevens was a performer before he converted to wanting to murder Salman Rushdie. Peace Train is a pretty famous song, and that’s all Cat Stevens was there to do. I agree that Cat Stevens is not a reasonable Muslim, but he wasn’t really being held out as reasonable anymore than Ozzy Osbourne was being held out as a reasonable British person.

Proud Rino on November 1, 2010 at 8:56 PM

sharrukin on November 1, 2010 at 8:51 PM

“Kumbaya” might be a bit too obscure of a tune for PR. Have some courtesy for the man, he’s far too busy writing anti-Republican polemics to do a Google search.

Good Solid B-Plus on November 1, 2010 at 8:56 PM

ddrintn on November 1, 2010 at 8:46 PM

Proud Rino on November 1, 2010 at 8:54 PM

And if you look for “implications,” then you’ll always find them, you know? Why don’t you find something that I *actually* said?

I’ll skip the drama. You won’t, because you can’t, liar.

Proud Rino on November 1, 2010 at 8:57 PM

Proud Rino on November 1, 2010 at 8:56 PM

Sure, and O.J. Simpson used to be known as a Hall of Fame football player. Let’s have him announce the first pick at the NFL Draft!

Good Solid B-Plus on November 1, 2010 at 8:58 PM

Good Solid B-Plus on November 1, 2010 at 8:56 PM

But we are supposed to maintain the fiction that he’s a Republican or something.

I also find it both amusing and disturbing how many are willing to give a pass to rapists, murderers and assorted scum because they are famous.

sharrukin on November 1, 2010 at 9:01 PM

Some other activities PR might want to suggest:

Marriage Counseling sessions with Robert Blake

A child water safety seminar with Tommy Lee Jones

Plaxico Burress teaching firearm safety

Sensitivity training with Mel Gibson and Alec Baldwin

Good Solid B-Plus on November 1, 2010 at 9:02 PM

Good Solid B-Plus on November 1, 2010 at 8:58 PM

Right, and I wouldn’t think that’s a very good idea. But I wouldn’t think that means that the NFL is endorsing and supporting the murders of Nicole Brown Simpson and Ron Goldman.

And, really, I’m not a fan of Cat Muslim or Yusuf Stevens, but let’s not compare his nasty and deranged statements to actually, literally murdering two people.

Proud Rino on November 1, 2010 at 9:02 PM

That should just be Tommy Lee, from the Pam Anderson tapes and Motley Crue, not Tommy Lee Jones. My apologies, Agent K.

Good Solid B-Plus on November 1, 2010 at 9:03 PM

I’ll skip the drama. You won’t, because you can’t, liar.

Proud Rino on November 1, 2010 at 8:57 PM

Liar? That’s you, ya slimy, backtracking idiot.

ddrintn on November 1, 2010 at 9:04 PM

sharrukin on November 1, 2010 at 9:01 PM

I’m not giving him a pass at all. I’m saying, “Having Cat Stevens there only to sing Peace Train does not mean that you are endorsing other things Cat Stevens has said or done.”

Proud Rino on November 1, 2010 at 9:04 PM

Liar? That’s you, ya slimy, backtracking idiot.

ddrintn on November 1, 2010 at 9:04 PM

All right, then find where I said the Tea Party as a whole is racist. Because that’s what you accused me of. If you can’t find it, you’re a liar.

Proud Rino on November 1, 2010 at 9:06 PM

Proud Rino on November 1, 2010 at 9:04 PM

No, you came in here with your oh-so-cool “hey it’s not that big a deal, lighten up” routine — which you’re never really willing to do for those wingnuts — and then have to go into yet another passive-aggressive backtrack routine. Gout outta here.

ddrintn on November 1, 2010 at 9:06 PM

Proud Rino on November 1, 2010 at 8:56 PM

Are you serious? It was a rally for sanity! What more do they need to do to be holding him out as reasonable? Put a sanity sticker on his forehead?

Ronnie on November 1, 2010 at 9:06 PM

* Gout, get, whatever.

ddrintn on November 1, 2010 at 9:06 PM

Proud Rino on November 1, 2010 at 9:02 PM

That was never proven in criminal court, PR. Why, if it weren’t for a few shady merch. dealers in Vegas, O.J. would still be touring America’s best golf courses looking for the real killers.

Good Solid B-Plus on November 1, 2010 at 9:07 PM

Proud Rino on November 1, 2010 at 9:06 PM

Someone, anyone, who has the time, please find the post or headline in which the topic was the alleged calling black congressmen the n-word.

ddrintn on November 1, 2010 at 9:08 PM

^ Speaking of which, did you ever get your $100,000 from Breitbart?

ddrintn on November 1, 2010 at 9:09 PM

Proud Rino on November 1, 2010 at 9:02 PM

So Cat’s more like bin laden, then. He tells other people to do the literal stuff.

Ronnie on November 1, 2010 at 9:11 PM

ddrintn on November 1, 2010 at 9:08 PM

Why bother? You find it and the very next word you will hear from him is ‘context’ and then he’s off to the races.

sharrukin on November 1, 2010 at 9:11 PM

^ Speaking of which, did you ever get your $100,000 from Breitbart?

ddrintn on November 1, 2010 at 9:09 PM

Obviously, I’m one of the only ones who heard the N word there – maybe the only one. Maybe I was hearing things. Given how little traction it’s gotten, it’s possible that I imagined it. I’ll admit that. Still doesn’t prove your accusation, liar.

Proud Rino on November 1, 2010 at 9:13 PM

Ronnie on November 1, 2010 at 9:11 PM

Good, good, glad we’re comparing Cat Stevens to friggin’ OBL. Terrific.

Proud Rino on November 1, 2010 at 9:14 PM

Good, good, glad we’re comparing Cat Stevens to friggin’ OBL. Terrific.

Proud Rino on November 1, 2010 at 9:14 PM

Good Solid B-Plus on November 1, 2010 at 9:17 PM

Good, good, glad we’re comparing Cat Stevens to friggin’ OBL. Terrific.

Proud Rino on November 1, 2010 at 9:14 PM

Two peas in a pod. Plus a guitar.

Ronnie on November 1, 2010 at 9:17 PM

Good Solid B-Plus on November 1, 2010 at 9:17 PM

I agree with that. I hate hippie music.

Proud Rino on November 1, 2010 at 9:19 PM

Two peas in a pod. Plus a guitar.

Ronnie on November 1, 2010 at 9:17 PM

Yeah, and then also OBL plotted, financed and is the spiritual leader of the worst terrorist attack in American history. Something Cat Stevens condemned.

Facts are just the worst sometimes!

Proud Rino on November 1, 2010 at 9:21 PM

Proud Rino on November 1, 2010 at 9:13 PM

Find the thread. Yeah, it’s possible you imagined it. Quite.

ddrintn on November 1, 2010 at 9:23 PM

Facts are just the worst sometimes!

Proud Rino on November 1, 2010 at 9:21 PM

Ain’t they though.

ddrintn on November 1, 2010 at 9:23 PM

Something Cat Stevens condemned.

Facts are just the worst sometimes!

Proud Rino on November 1, 2010 at 9:21 PM

So did Yasser Arafat. Big whoop.

sharrukin on November 1, 2010 at 9:24 PM

Ain’t they though.

ddrintn on November 1, 2010 at 9:23 PM

I’m not sure why you’re still posting on account of me embarrassing you by accurately characterizing you as a total liar.

Proud Rino on November 1, 2010 at 9:24 PM

Proud Rino on November 1, 2010 at 9:24 PM

Really? How so? I’m searching for the threads. It was in March or April. Takes time, with lots of “you people” references, as I remember.

ddrintn on November 1, 2010 at 9:28 PM

Whatever. Good luck with that, liar.

Proud Rino on November 1, 2010 at 9:32 PM

Facts are just the worst sometimes!

Proud Rino on November 1, 2010 at 9:21 PM

Cat perfers the more intimate approach of personally stoning to death decadent whorish women for the unpardonable sin of showing their bare midriff.

Good Solid B-Plus on November 1, 2010 at 9:33 PM

Whatever. Good luck with that, liar.

Proud Rino on November 1, 2010 at 9:32 PM

OK, scumbag. Find it and exonerate yourself.

ddrintn on November 1, 2010 at 9:36 PM

Forcing someone to listen to 24 hours straight of “Wild World” is technically against the Geneva Convention. Good Solid B-Plus on November 1, 2010 at 9:17 PM

Thanks for totally giving away one of our terrorist interrogation techniques.

Mojave Mark on November 1, 2010 at 10:06 PM

It really was awful and half way through I started thinking we needed a rally just to restore comedy.

Conservalicious on November 1, 2010 at 7:32 PM

LOL! I know I would sure appreciate some comedy that doesn’t have cheap shots about conservatives or Republicans in it, for a change.

disa on November 1, 2010 at 10:33 PM

Demonizes the other side? I’ve turned off his show many times because he was demonizing people like me.

FloatingRock on November 1, 2010 at 7:39 PM

I’m curious – which aspects of your behavior or beliefs was he demonizing?

disa on November 1, 2010 at 10:44 PM

Proud Rino,

It’s just that having Cat Stevens — ahem, Yusuf Islam — front and center at a “Rally to Restore Sanity” is … I don’t know … ironic. It should be on failblog.

shazbat on November 1, 2010 at 10:55 PM

It is just not possible that Stewart and the organizers were all ignorant of Stevens’ background. Putting such a person on stage is the message.

Message received, no matter how it is spun after the fact.

Adjoran on November 2, 2010 at 4:25 AM

go vote

rob verdi on November 2, 2010 at 6:41 AM

OK, scumbag. Find it and exonerate yourself.

ddrintn on November 1, 2010 at 9:36 PM

If you find yourself saying things like this – “prove you *didn’t* say the thing I lied and accused you of saying,” I think you’ve lost the argument, liar.

Proud Rino on November 2, 2010 at 7:03 AM

I think you’ve lost the argument, liar.

Proud Rino on November 2, 2010 at 7:03 AM

Says the insincere internet agitator.

Delish!

Inanemergencydial on November 2, 2010 at 8:53 AM

Beck is possibly not happy that attendance at Stewart’s “rally” appears, objectively (compare crowd shots) to have been larger.

YYZ on November 1, 2010 at 7:54 PM

How can you tell since the two rallies happened at opposite ends of the National Mall and thus you don’t have the same reference points to compare the two?

mizflame98 on November 2, 2010 at 9:18 AM

Dolly Parton had Cat Stevens perform on her “Those were the Days”- her war protest cd.

That’s the only time I felt ashamed of being related to her.

Lothar on November 2, 2010 at 9:36 AM

Proud Rino on November 1, 2010 at 8:56 PM

“Not a reasonable Muslim” at the Rally to “Restore Sanity”? Really?

When was the last time Ozzy advocated murdering someone for a book they wrote?

Dominion on November 2, 2010 at 9:40 AM

Humorously enough, apparently there was even a Rally to Restore Sanity in Antarctica of all places:

Dark-Star on November 2, 2010 at 10:43 AM

But all rallies are lame. Having an ‘ironic’ rally doesn’t make it any cooler.

Proud Rino on November 1, 2010 at 8:15 PM

I hear that Boston Tea Party from way back was lame.
I guess all the Pope Nights of New England were lame, too, ‘specially the one in 1780 in Philly.
That Stamp Act response by the CT Sons of Liberty engaging in mock trials all over ~1765 I suppose were also pretty lame, too.
None of those events did anything to change the history of this country or anyone’s opinions or rally anyone to action.
Yeah.
Rallies are such a waste of time.

Badger40 on November 2, 2010 at 10:57 AM

reasonable Muslim
Proud Rino on November 1, 2010 at 8:56 PM

I doubt they exist.
Bcs if they are considered reasonable at all by Western standards, then their own fellow religious persons must then brand them as heretics or agnostics or something or other & we know what penalty islam invokes for that sin.

Badger40 on November 2, 2010 at 10:59 AM

OK, scumbag. Find it and exonerate yourself.

ddrintn on November 1, 2010 at 9:36 PM

Proud Rino on November 2, 2010 at 7:03 AM

So you can’t find that particular episode either.

People who are regulars at this site know your m.o., and they can judge if I’m a liar or not. Having the balls to say outright that the Tea Party is racist isn’t your style. Insinuation and implication is more your style. No one’s saying that the people at Stewart’s rally supported the fatwa against Rushdie either, ya pompous dumbass.

ddrintn on November 2, 2010 at 4:42 PM

ddrintn on November 2, 2010 at 4:42 PM

Why waste your time on someone who thinks all rallies are uncool?
This person would have been a card carrying loyalist & proud of it in the era of 1776.

Badger40 on November 2, 2010 at 5:30 PM