Poll: What was the Obamateurism of the Week?

posted at 9:00 am on October 31, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Spending today remodeling for that new Teleprompter addition?  Not sure what state you’re in?   Sounds like you need a break by casting a vote for the Obamateurism of the Week!  I’m certain the President has the best of intentions, because he’s only punishing himself with these gaffes.  That is, Barack Obama would be punishing himself if he could figure out who he is

Previous 2010 “winners”:

Got an  Obamateurism of the Day? If you see a foul-up by Barack Obama, e-mail it to me at obamaisms@edmorrissey.com with the quote and the link to the  Obamateurism. I’ll post the best Obamateurisms on a daily basis, depending on how many I receive. Include a link to your blog, and I’ll give some link love as well. And unlike Slate, I promise to end the feature when Barack Obama leaves office.

Illustrations by Chris Muir of Day by Day. Be sure to read the adventures of Sam, Zed, Damon, and Jan every day!

Comments

“Pun intended” – he was clueless as people were laughing at him.

PatMac on October 31, 2010 at 9:03 AM

Like shooting fish in a barrel this week.

DrStock on October 31, 2010 at 9:04 AM

Is the purpose of the OOTD to point out what a gargantuan fool Obama is or to show what and evil prick he is?

Punishing enemies is evil while the pun comment is straight up foolishness.

I have to go with the punishing because a purposeful minion of Satan is way more dangerous than a useful idiot.

csdeven on October 31, 2010 at 9:04 AM

we are the enemies that we have been waiting for…

cmsinaz on October 31, 2010 at 9:07 AM

The “punish your enemies” admonition to hispanics — from our post-partisan, post-racial, Great Uniter.

AZCoyote on October 31, 2010 at 9:07 AM

Punish our enemies – especially in light of his speech yesterday that said Republicans and Democrats need to work together!

katablog.com on October 31, 2010 at 9:09 AM

Punish our enemies gets my vote this week. So far beneath the dignity of the office it’s hard to believe.

Keemo on October 31, 2010 at 9:10 AM

Enemies…….Radical lovers that Exceptional idea called LIBERTY!

PappyD61 on October 31, 2010 at 9:11 AM

I missed the “pun” discussion I guess earlier. Can I assume that this Mel Brooks bit with Zero Mostel and Gene Wilder from the 1968 “The Producers” made it to the thread more than once?

Roger De Bris: Ah, Bialystock and Bloom, I presume! Heh heh, forgive the pun!
Leo Bloom: [to Max] What pun?
Max Bialystock: Shut up, he thinks he’s witty.

Marcus on October 31, 2010 at 9:12 AM

I was torn between “pun” and “enemies” but had to go with enemies….it’s just so revealing of his mindset, his philosophy and plans.

4Freedom on October 31, 2010 at 9:13 AM

BTW: Punish our enemies and Republicans can join us, but only in the back of the bus; can there be any doubt that this man is nothing other than an angry misbehaved child…

Keemo on October 31, 2010 at 9:13 AM

All of the above!

EliTheBean on October 31, 2010 at 9:13 AM

katablog.com on October 31, 2010 at 9:09 AM

I honestly believe he is not capable of remembering what he says from one day to the next. I gave him the benefit of the doubt (about this—God knows nothing else) for a while, but he does this kind of thing so much, I think it must just be a fundamental mental failing on his part. The more horrific speeches he gives and the more idiotic things he says, the more I’m convinced that he doesn’t just need the TelePrompTers to speak, he needs them to process. If the words aren’t there, they aren’t even within two time zones as his head.

I’d feel sorry for him if he weren’t such a malicious jerk.

WesternActor on October 31, 2010 at 9:13 AM

Now we know more than ever, that he considers the American people his enemies.

His entire presidency has been major punishment, regardless of whether it’s through his arrogance, ignorance, corruption, incompetence, rigid adherence to ideology or intention.

NoDonkey on October 31, 2010 at 9:14 AM

Keemo on October 31, 2010 at 9:10 AM

amen k

cmsinaz on October 31, 2010 at 9:15 AM

India has to remodel for Obama’s TelePrompter 11.5%

No love for exporting our retardation to the world.

MNHawk on October 31, 2010 at 9:15 AM

The enemies list grows faster than the national debt with this wanna be dictator.

RalphyBoy on October 31, 2010 at 9:17 AM

“We’re gonna punish our enemies!”

Consider this the line drawn in the sand.

On Tuesday, we’re gonna cross that line, Obama!

And then we’re gonna shove it down your throat!

pilamaye on October 31, 2010 at 9:17 AM

One small week for Obama, one giant peak for Obamateurisms.

ElectricPhase on October 31, 2010 at 9:18 AM

Exactly what is the purpose of the OOTD? To illustrate what a absolute evil person Obama is or to spotlight his foolishness?

To punish ones enemies is the epitome of evil from a guy who claimed he was going to heal the earth. To try and pretend you were making a pun when you were really just being a fool is amateurish. I believe an evil person is more dangerous than a useful idiot.

csdeven on October 31, 2010 at 9:18 AM

Easiest one so far: punish our enemies. The essence of Obama.

BitterClinger on October 31, 2010 at 9:19 AM

The enemies list grows faster than the national debt with this wanna be dictator King./FIF-a better fit.

RalphyBoy on October 31, 2010 at 9:19 AM

Punish enemies. Every campaign sign for 2012 should show this slogan uner his picture.

50sGuy on October 31, 2010 at 9:19 AM

Pun indented was the amateur part , punish enemies the community organizer coming trough.

the_nile on October 31, 2010 at 9:22 AM

Ed, I can always count on your summary of the Obamateurisms of the Week to be witty & concise. Keep up the good work!

itsnotaboutme on October 31, 2010 at 9:23 AM

This one was close. He really showed his pride and ego when busted on “heck of a job.” Pun intended? Nobody bought it, even his fans. When ego is in charge, those kinds of wacky mistakes happen daily.

AnninCA on October 31, 2010 at 9:25 AM

However, for sheer amateur hour, it has to be the remark about punishing our “enemies.”

Let’s see how many months of campaign talk THAT undid. The next time he says, “We’re not blue or red, we’re American,” the entire crowd is likely to laugh just like they did at the intended “pun.”

AnninCA on October 31, 2010 at 9:26 AM

AZCoyote on October 31, 2010 at 9:07 AM

So if someone gets their ass kicked by a hispanic at a polling place, can he sue the Prez?

Patrick S on October 31, 2010 at 9:28 AM

AnninCA on October 31, 2010 at 9:25 AM

agreed but saying that half of the citizens you were elected to lead are the enemy is 10x worse IMO.

unseen on October 31, 2010 at 9:28 AM

The pun intended one is my pick. I thought that it was in response to JS calling him out for using the “Heckuva job, Larry” in response to the economic Katrina. So, not only did Obama repeat Bush’s gaffe, but also he invoked the Pee Wee Herman “I meant to do that” by saying “pun intended.”

and it also wasn’t a pun.

amateur indeed.

ted c on October 31, 2010 at 9:28 AM

Bingo, AnninCA, the arrogant ba5tard couldn’t even laugh at himself and let it go. He had to blurt “pun intended” when it clearly wasn’t and it wasn’t even a pun! DUDE!

cartooner on October 31, 2010 at 9:30 AM

50sGuy on October 31, 2010 at 9:19 AM

exactly! post partisan president my foot

cmsinaz on October 31, 2010 at 9:30 AM

AZCoyote on October 31, 2010 at 9:07 AM

Can’t say it much better AZ.

Keemo on October 31, 2010 at 9:10 AM

“Dude” Appearing on a comedy show with one of the dumbest liberal’s hosting was also beneath the dignity of the office, but what did we expect from a brainless community organizer who embraces a new world order with no regard for our Constitution.

Rovin on October 31, 2010 at 9:31 AM

I voted for the teleprompter thing. This clown came in saying he was going to improve the US standing in the world. He came in boasting about how well he speaks. Our leader is now the punch line for most the world. He can’t even give a speech in India without his binky.

He’s a real American(?) embarrassment.

jbh45 on October 31, 2010 at 9:33 AM

“Punish our enemies” demonstrates the real ObaMao, who views any position contrary to his own as not just an opponent but an enemy. He tailors his speeches to suit his assorted audiences but is too stupid to realize that a remark made for UniVision is just as apt to reach the general population as is his snide remark to SF fat cats about bitter clingers. He lives in his own little world.

onlineanalyst on October 31, 2010 at 9:34 AM

Punish comment! The silly fellow can’t walk on water or turn water into wine , but he sure is the greatest divider the nation has.

Sandybourne on October 31, 2010 at 9:37 AM

The “Punish our enemies” line is more of a window into Obama’s thin-skinned mindset than any of the other nominees.

In his mind, this was so not supposed to be necessary when he took office, since the game plan was Obama simply would tell Reid, Pelosi and his Cabinet members what to do, they’d do it, the president would take the credit and earn the adulation, and anyone who stood in the way would be Alinsky-ed via being ostracized after being branded as a racist, sexist, homophobe, etc. Obama was supposed to float above all this, just the way his enablers have let him float above everything without having to make any tough choices all his political life, and the sudden requirement that he actually have to go out and justify his policies to him is a major annoyance.

jon1979 on October 31, 2010 at 9:38 AM

Rovin on October 31, 2010 at 9:31 AM

Agreed… This man has a mission to denigrate the office he holds, as well as the entire American dream. The evidence has mounted so high, it can no longer be denied.

Keemo on October 31, 2010 at 9:39 AM

We are the enemy, in the eyes of our POTUS, and he is punishing us daily with his foolishness and his cluelessness.

Note to the POTUS: We will not surrender, you _____. (Description left blank of a string of four-letter words to avoid the ban hammer)

Yoop on October 31, 2010 at 9:41 AM

I’d feel sorry for him if he weren’t such a malicious jerk.

WesternActor on October 31, 2010 at 9:13 AM

You’re on to something here. Maybe it’s because you tend to remember something that you wrote better than something that you read…

Had to go with pun intended (Huh?) as the amatuerism, punish your enemies is more the evil within.
Delicious to think he double-gaffed this in front of his only remaining demographic other than blacks. He’s losin his cool!

2ipa on October 31, 2010 at 9:42 AM

“punish our enemies” – the mask slipped, revealing the low-life gutter-dwelling punk behind it.
He will spend the next two years seeking retribution. There will be no pretense on his part that he interested in unity other than marshaling his dwindling forces in a unified front against his enemies. He’s going down, he’s going down ugly and he will enjoy doing it that way.

ya2daup on October 31, 2010 at 9:43 AM

jbh45 on October 31, 2010 at 9:33 AM

I voted for TOTUS, too. Without it he’s nothing.

Disturb the Universe on October 31, 2010 at 9:44 AM

Getting on the campaign trail should have been a choice.

So should have his claim that this election is not about him, yet his speeches on the campaign trail are about him. That should have been another selection.

madmonkphotog on October 31, 2010 at 9:45 AM

It has to be punish our enemies. Just like this slip.

kingsjester on October 31, 2010 at 9:45 AM

I was going to vote for the TPotUS because it showed his arrogance and contempt for our friend, then I saw the “enemies” and remembered his arrogance and contempt for us

Gwillie on October 31, 2010 at 9:46 AM

Patrick S on October 31, 2010 at 9:28 AM

Mrs Hawk’s Dad is Spanish/Navajo. I’ve been sneaking around the house ever since the president gave that speech.

hawkdriver on October 31, 2010 at 9:47 AM

The most divisive president ever proves it by urging citizens to punch, er, punish their enemies. Am I one of those enemies? Who are they?

scalleywag on October 31, 2010 at 9:48 AM

“Punish our enemise” is the most revealing thing he said all week, but I don’t think it’s amateurish. It’s far more sinister than that.

Missy on October 31, 2010 at 9:49 AM

“enemies” – oh my, need coffee

Missy on October 31, 2010 at 9:49 AM

Folks, this multi million dollar trip he’s taking to the Taj Mahal is a b*tch slapping directed at every tax payer. The man-child is living high on our dollar while telling us “go ahead and vote to kill my agenda fools, I’m partying on your dime and there is nothing you can do to stop me.”

I’m a patient man; God will decide this man’s destiny. I’ll just sit back and watch. BTW: Did you all see the photo of the man-child on Drudge this morning? Pure evil on display.

Keemo on October 31, 2010 at 9:51 AM

hawkdriver on October 31, 2010 at 9:47 AM

LOL… :-)

Keemo on October 31, 2010 at 9:52 AM

Tuesday is neuter day.

royzer on October 31, 2010 at 10:01 AM

While pun intended was the full on geek amateur one, the punish our enemies is the one that goes into his legacy, so I had to pick that just to poke. :)

golfmann on October 31, 2010 at 10:08 AM

hawkdriver on October 31, 2010 at 9:47 AM

Hey Chief, isn’t that a fancy way of calling her an Arizona Mexican?

darwin-t on October 31, 2010 at 10:09 AM

“We’re gonna punish our enemies…”

We already know he’s geography deficient, so join the club Rhode Island :)

Teleprompter concerns front and center on state visit to India, Check.

Tells bloggers he’s progressive. He has stated this before he was ever elected. Obama “I am a proud progressive” sigh we know you are Champ.

Pun intended. Speaks for it’s self, the man can’t make a self depreciating joke, he’s so into himself.

But telling Latinos, they have to punish their enemies, and reward their friends….I knew he was Green but Damn that’s some poor polticking going on right there. Barack Obama I’m not everyone’s President – some of the American People are my enemies. Wow just Wow.

Dr Evil on October 31, 2010 at 10:09 AM

hawkdriver on October 31, 2010 at 9:47 AM

Hope he likes motorrcycles!

katy the mean old lady on October 31, 2010 at 10:10 AM

Keemo on October 31, 2010 at 9:51 AM

Il Douchay

darwin-t on October 31, 2010 at 10:10 AM

I would like to know how many days Obama has spent in the oval office working on the problems of the country. From what I see he is always campaigning, giving speeches, golfing, vacationing. How many days of the last 22 months has Obama actually showed up to work? and how many hours has he put in handling the people’s business?

I wonder if we can get a FOIA on Obama’s timecard?

unseen on October 31, 2010 at 10:12 AM

darwin-t on October 31, 2010 at 10:09 AM

Mrs Hawk has a very diverse cultural background. Mrs Hawk’s Father is from Texas actually and a retired Seargent Major from the Provost Marshall’s Office here at Ft. Bragg. Like I said, his family background is Spanish/Navajo. He met Mrs Hawk’s Mother during the occupation of Japan after WWII. So, if you wanted to be specfic, her background is Mexinese. Folks seem to think she’s Hawaiian. She just thinks she’s an American.

hawkdriver on October 31, 2010 at 10:19 AM

US midterm elections: Barack Obama’s world turned upside down as Democrats face electoral disaster

This is what you get when you elect “A Cult of Personality” for everyone moaning, Obama, Obama, Obama feeding his ego there are many, many more who are repulsed by the display of “Americans” worshiping a less then competent Politician.

Dr Evil on October 31, 2010 at 10:21 AM

hawkdriver on October 31, 2010 at 10:19 AM

My ex-father in law was also emphatic that even though he grew up in Brownsville TX he was not Mexican but American of Spanish decent.

darwin-t on October 31, 2010 at 10:22 AM

sergeant…

darwin-t on October 31, 2010 at 10:22 AM

Yep, and I’m not Irish. My forefathers were.

hawkdriver on October 31, 2010 at 10:29 AM

“We’re gonna punish our enemies…

This is not what you hear from a leader of a free Nation.

This is what you hear from a liberal activists he!! bent on forcing their ideology on the masses by any means necessary.

Baxter Greene on October 31, 2010 at 10:31 AM

hawkdriver on October 31, 2010 at 9:47 AM

Heh!!!

Baxter Greene on October 31, 2010 at 10:32 AM

Tells bloggers that he’s a progressive, 19 months after telling New Dems he’s one of them

The mask slipped on that one. Sure he is a “progressive”, he’s way left, but he’s never said that out loud. He never said that while campaigning. Voters would never vote in a professed leftist. They know better than that. The country knows the best POTUS is center-right. They know that. What a gaffe.

Paul-Cincy on October 31, 2010 at 10:34 AM

We’re gonna punish our enemies.

Everyone knows that’s how he thinks, but for him to admit it was a big mistake.

petefrt on October 31, 2010 at 10:55 AM

“Pun intended” – he was clueless as people were laughing at him.

PatMac on October 31, 2010 at 9:03 AM

I agree 100%, but allow me to edit.

“Pun intended” – he was clueless as usual.

Obama – Teleprompter = Crusty the Clown

fogw on October 31, 2010 at 10:55 AM

Missy on October 31, 2010 at 9:49 AM

Hence “obamateurism”, not amateurism.

Extrafishy on October 31, 2010 at 10:56 AM

“enemies” – oh my, need coffee

Missy on October 31, 2010 at 9:49 AM

It’s Sunday, the subject is Obama and his tsunami of malfeasance.

I recommend the bloody mary. Make it a double.

turfmann on October 31, 2010 at 11:07 AM

40 aircraft and 6 armoured cars

darwin-t on October 31, 2010 at 11:02 AM

And a completely booked four star Four Seasons hotel on partially borrowed dime.

Wonder how China likes lending for a junket to visit their arch enemy.

ontherocks on October 31, 2010 at 11:16 AM

This is how Krauthammer summed up the Bamster’s statement on ‘punishing your enemies’: “This is how the great post-partisan, post-racial, New Politics presidency ends – not with a bang, not with a whimper, but with a desperate election-eve plea for ethnic retribution.”

This is only the two-year point. By 2012 I expect he will go full Jeremiah Wright on us.

slickwillie2001 on October 31, 2010 at 11:19 AM

Nixonian.

Y-not on October 31, 2010 at 11:19 AM

“We’re gonna punish our enemies…”

This is not what you hear from a leader of a free Nation.

Baxter Greene on October 31, 2010 at 10:31 AM

A minister once told me, “Satan always overplays his hand.”

GrannyDee on October 31, 2010 at 11:21 AM

slickwillie2001 on October 31, 2010 at 11:19 AM

But conservatives will be accused of racism and inciting violence. Once again, Rush is spot on. We are more racially divided by Jug-ears, not less.

Extrafishy on October 31, 2010 at 11:22 AM

WOW, this week provided a target rich environment.

xkaydet65 on October 31, 2010 at 11:42 AM

corrupt bastards. I love it

unseen on October 31, 2010 at 11:50 AM

“Pun intended” was the top layer of a three-tiered Obamateurism — kind of a masterpiece, really. Layer 1 was appearing on Jon Stewart’s show in the first place. Layer 2 was his “heck of a job” statement. Layer 3, “pun intended” was itself a masterpiece, showing his inability to admit he made a mistake, his inability to laugh at himself, his lying nature, and his loose thought process in referring to the statement as a pun, which it clearly wasn’t.

Nevertheless, the “punish our enemies” deserved its victory. This is hard work, though.

Sowell Disciple on October 31, 2010 at 11:51 AM

Ed, I think that the Chamber of Commerce “foreign money” attack has been left out of the Obamateurisms lists. It was much more worthy than many other candidates, since It showed dishonesty, political stupidity, and blatant hypocrisy, earning criticism by even the New York Times. It also elicited Axelrod’s classic “retort” to Bob Schieffer’s question about the complete lack of evidence: “Can you prove that they (the Chamber of Commerce) didn’t do it?”. Still a chance of putting it in?

Sowell Disciple on October 31, 2010 at 11:56 AM

I wonder if we can get a FOIA on Obama’s timecard?

unseen on October 31, 2010 at 10:12 AM

I also would like to see how many days he actually spent working, not partying, not having football teams over, not having hollywood over. not meeting with georgie soros – it must be an easy job – he’s never there. He turned all of the legistation over to georgie and tides.
Glenn had a recoring of Pavin (I thought she was dead) on 10/10/10 talking about the “o” not getting credit for what he has done, because he has done it “under the radar” and no one knows about it yet. Then the “o” telling (what’s his face – Colbert)the comedian/progressive/dem that there are things that people do not know about that he has done. Makes me sick! When will we find out? There had better be an investigation so that we can route out georgie and all the others who don’t care about out country.

Bambi on October 31, 2010 at 11:57 AM

that people do not know about that he has

Sorry it should be: that people don’t know what he has done.

Bambi on October 31, 2010 at 11:59 AM

40 aircraft and 6 armoured cars

darwin-t on October 31, 2010 at 11:02 AM

Patton didn’t have much more than that at the Battle of the Bulge.

Yoop on October 31, 2010 at 12:35 PM

“We’re gonna punish our enemies…”

…and the ars wants cooperation and civility after the elections. He has displayed none, is the Impertinent in Chief. Live with it now.

One can only lead by example when one is an example.

He is a socialist extraordinaire. He’s all for rebates to those who’ve never paid any bates. That is his entire philosophy. Why the idignance when called a socialist or worse? All he wants is to drag the country down, to make the world more ‘equal’. In the process he’s the Cash for Clunkers Pimp.

“Dude” is the best Stewart could have named him. The media missed it all but it is correct. He’s exactly that little.

Schadenfreude on October 31, 2010 at 12:55 PM

I wonder if we can get a FOIA on Obama’s timecard?

unseen on October 31, 2010 at 10:12 AM

As a U.S. Senator, he showed up for work only 145 days. As an Illinois State Senator, he worked only 1.5 days per week.

Them bones, them bones, them lazybones…..

tigerlily on October 31, 2010 at 1:28 PM

Just imagine, a President of the United States getting caught telling a group of supporters that the ones who don’t support paying for handouts,medical care and immediate citizenship for them are their enemies. He proves time and again that he isn’t the president of all Americans, just some Americans.

Glad my parents aren’t alive to see this.

TeeDee on October 31, 2010 at 1:48 PM

The Anointed One has certainly been out and about ranting and raving these past few days. Not only is he demeaning the presidency, his shrieks reek of desperation.

Dhuka on October 31, 2010 at 2:44 PM

My picks were the enemies list and the GOP should get in the back of the bus. Well, since President Jackass has apparently ordered his minions to compile an enemies list a la Nixon, maybe this jerk eventually will be forced to resign in shame just like Tricky Dicky.

The back of the bus comment was just unfortunate and despicable given its source. So he wishes to segregate his enemies as well. What next, Maobama? Will you round up your “enemies” and put them in re-education camps, comrade?

Philly on October 31, 2010 at 2:50 PM

Concur with the others.

For a true “amateur” moment, the whole Daily Show fiasco would win.

But I think the “Punish your enemies” speech on 10/25 will be the singular moment his effectiveness as an elected President ended( he can still be effective as a tyrant). The next 2 years would have seen ebbs and surges in the PR war with a newly-Conservative Republican majority. The media would have successfully shilled for him, and enough Rs would have capitulated or mis-spoken, because that’s what we do–that Obama would have recovered some of his support among indies.

I now find that an impossibility. When Indies can see that this man is spineless toward America’s true enemies but somehow finds the nerve to use the word to describe Americans who simply want to regulate immigration, this man has revealed himself not to be passively unengaged nor above-the-fray Presidential but pathetically partisan. Rs can play that clip for the next 2 years.

His 2012 campaign ended with this speech. Right, Hillary?

rwenger43 on October 31, 2010 at 3:52 PM

This is getting harder and harder for me, everytime I hear PrzBo speak he gives me a migraine!

The Expert Knows

HAExpert on October 31, 2010 at 4:19 PM

Hey, I’m in the majority for a change. I must be an enemy.

Cindy Munford on October 31, 2010 at 4:25 PM

One more enemy checking in.

profitsbeard on October 31, 2010 at 7:13 PM

The O-Dude continues to reveal himself as a spoiled child with absolutely no management or leadership skills.

landlines on November 1, 2010 at 1:55 AM