NFL week 8 open thread

posted at 11:00 am on October 31, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

This week’s showdown between the Pittsburgh Steelers and the New Orleans Saints is gut-check time for both teams.  The Steelers have had a lot of people picking them as the toughest team in the league, but they nearly let one slip away against a good Miami Dolphins team last week.  The Saints have shown flashes of their championship form, but also flashes of the Aints, too, especially in last week’s embarrassing home loss to Cleveland.  The Saints get Reggie Bush back this week, but that should make little difference against the Steeler’s defense.  Expect Ben Roethlisberger to get a better handle on the ball, and the Steelers to win 24-14.

Update: Del Dolemonte says in the comments that Bush will be out the next two weeks.  I’ll keep the score prediction the same, though.

Last week I went 4-2, my first winning week in a while, to move my season record to 24-19.  Can I extend my streak? go

• Vikings at Patriots – Brett Favre says he’s ready to start despite having two small fractures in his ankle.  Brad Childress isn’t so sure.  That will be all of the suspense in this game, as New England will protect Tom Brady from Minnesota’s non-existent pass rush and beat the hapless Vikings, 30-19.  Tarvaris Jackson will play at least one half tomorrow.  Bank on it.
  • Packers at Jets – I hear Jazz wailing already.  The Pack has got talent, but they almost lost to the Vikings despite having two touchdowns on interceptions (one directly, the other set up) on sandlot passes from Favre and another one given to them by poor officiating, while the refs took a good one away from the Vikes.  They have to go on the road where they’re 1-2 and play New York, who’s 2-1 at home.  Jets beat Packers, or at least Jets stand by while Packers beat themselves, 28-17.
  • Dolphins at Bengals – Miami hasn’t won one at home yet, but they’re perfect on the road.  Bengals are 2-4 and only 1-1 at home.  Both teams have better talent than their records indicate, but Miami’s the only one that occasionally plays like it.  Dolphins use the running game to bulldoze the Bengals, 24-13.
  • Seahawks at Raiders – The Raiders ran up the score against the Broncos last week, so they may have started to turn the corner on their years-long bout of futility … but Seattle’s too tough for Oakland this year.  The Raiders will wish they could have banked a TD or two from last week.   Seahawks beat Oakland in a close battle, 27-24.
  • Texans at Colts – This is probably the game of the week.  Houston beat Indianapolis to start the season, but that was in Houston.  Indy needs the win to keep Houston from owning the first tiebreaker, because both teams are going to finish near the top of their division this year.  Peyton Manning will work his magic and the Colts will get their Monday night revenge, 27-21.

No suspensions for vicious hits last week, so apparently the message got through, at least temporarily.  I’m going to bet there’s one hit that will give the NFL a chance to make an example of someone this week.

Comments

Mercifully, the Bears are idle…

Jaibones on October 31, 2010 at 11:02 AM

The Cowboys are idle, too; but will be on the field anyway (that really hurts to say; their total collapse happened while I was in rural Africa).

michaelo on October 31, 2010 at 11:05 AM

Actually, Ed, Bush won’t play tonight, and may even sit out next week too. He and the trainers decided he wasn’t 100%.

The Saints are also without their other great running back, Pierre Thomas.

Del Dolemonte on October 31, 2010 at 11:06 AM

Chris Ivory gets the start of his life vs. the Steel Curtain.

Brees can’t do it without him -

cane_loader on October 31, 2010 at 11:11 AM

Who does the Steelers and refs play this week?

artist on October 31, 2010 at 11:11 AM

Can the Houston Texans take TWO from the Colts this year? Can Texans defense do just enough for our offense to outscore Peyton Manning? Tune in Monday night if you wanna see some football!

cartooner on October 31, 2010 at 11:11 AM

Game tonight is much more important for the Saints. They’re very close to falling into a vortex from which they won’t be able to escape.

rock the casbah on October 31, 2010 at 11:12 AM

I have no use for the Saints but I hope they beat Pittsburgh just because. And their coach looks like Chester the Molester.

Extrafishy on October 31, 2010 at 11:13 AM

Can anyone remember a defending Super-Bowl champ ever being as decimated by injuries as N.O.? I seriously can’t :-(

cane_loader on October 31, 2010 at 11:13 AM

My 49ers are one win ahead of Buffalo and tied in the win column with Dallas, Carolina, and Detroit, while still only three games out of first place in the NFC West. That said, the coaching staff must be over-hauled soon. There’s too much talent on the field to be in this cellar. And I don’t think even Singletary will make it through the season at this pace.

Go SF Giants!!!!!

Rovin on October 31, 2010 at 11:15 AM

Saints look tired. Will probably have to wait until next season for a run – if there is a next season.

rock the casbah on October 31, 2010 at 11:17 AM

Go Cards!

cmsinaz on October 31, 2010 at 11:17 AM

Payton has to just break even from here until Thomas and Bush return – then I think we’ll see a good late-season run. It’s easy to forget that what made the N.O. run game so effective last season was having Bell as the third back.

The way Chris Ivory has been running, don’t count the Saints out yet once they get three good backs

We ain’t goin’ out like that….

cane_loader on October 31, 2010 at 11:21 AM

Curse you, Morrissey! *shakes fist*

Jazz Shaw on October 31, 2010 at 11:21 AM

Steelers crush opponent 52-3.

All others are only pretenders.

Bishop on October 31, 2010 at 11:23 AM

Go Steelers!!!

Artist: did you complain about all the holds not called against the Fins? Just wondering. Really you don’t have to answer because we know you are like all the rest of the jealous haters.

CWforFreedom on October 31, 2010 at 11:24 AM

I seriously can’t :-(

cane_loader on October 31, 2010 at 11:13 AM

Awwwwwww

CWforFreedom on October 31, 2010 at 11:25 AM

Aaron Smith is out. Stillers will probably need 25 points to win.

forest on October 31, 2010 at 11:28 AM

Saints invoke voodoo. Bats invade Ben’s belfry. It’s Hallloweeen. BWHAAAAHAAAHAAHAHAHA!

cane_loader on October 31, 2010 at 11:28 AM

Go Cards!

cmsinaz on October 31, 2010 at 11:17 AM

Go Bucs! “The best team in the NFC” is going to win in your house.

RadClown on October 31, 2010 at 11:33 AM

Texans are building a powerhouse. That’s a must-watch!

cane_loader on October 31, 2010 at 11:33 AM

Artist- oh and please show me the video proving who really recovered the fumble. If you find it that will be a first because no one else I have asked has been able to.

Oh and again please do whine about calls not called that would have gone the Steelers way. Oh wait-don’t bother. You idiots kill me.

CWforFreedom on October 31, 2010 at 11:34 AM

cartooner on October 31, 2010 at 11:11 AM

Man, oh man! I can’t even imagine what things would be like around here with a twofer against the Colts! Bob Allen (ch. 13 fool) might wet himself–and then he’d still ask Kubiak a bunch of dumba$$ questions when he interviews him.

tkinTX on October 31, 2010 at 11:41 AM

Go Chiefs!

journeyscarab on October 31, 2010 at 11:43 AM

Time to show the defending Superbowl champs a scary night in their own house! Rock on STEELERS!!!

heckrules on October 31, 2010 at 12:43 PM

I wonder if Rothliraper will fumble his way to another victory this week.

abobo on October 31, 2010 at 1:20 PM

Oh, look! The Dallas Cowboys are trick-or-treating today dressed like a football team!!

thebookkeeper on October 31, 2010 at 1:49 PM

cane_loader on October 31, 2010 at 11:13 AM

Certainly not this early in the season, and not with the two best RBs out at the same time.

Usually, defending SB champions are decimated by free agency, not injuries.

Del Dolemonte on October 31, 2010 at 1:51 PM

The Niners and Broncos are in England where the Brits have placed Churchill’s Bust in the middle of the field to protest Obama—-jkiddn’

Seriously, the Brits are cheering the field goals and extra points more than the TD’s.

The Niners just tied the game up 10-10 with 11 minutes left in the fourth—-the starting QB for the 9ers hasn’t played football in two years.

Rovin on October 31, 2010 at 3:30 PM

Go Steelers and Titans!

ladyingray on October 31, 2010 at 4:06 PM

Niners WIN! Now we have a better record than the Cowboys :)

Rovin on October 31, 2010 at 4:15 PM

And there is Farve making the start.

rbj on October 31, 2010 at 4:21 PM

Wow, Jets lose at home, 9-0. First road shutout for the Pack in almost 20 years.

Del Dolemonte on October 31, 2010 at 4:23 PM

Guess I’ll watch the Vikings lose.

GWB and GHWB are throwing out the first pitche(s) at the World Series tonight. Betcha they aren’t wearing Mom jeans.

gophergirl on October 31, 2010 at 4:27 PM

Watching Favre right now is painful – given the respect I have for his warrior spirit. Man, his legs are barely moving. There aren’t too many good things that can happen right now, and whatever you think about Favre, what grit the man has.

This reminds me of Jim Plunkett’s last few starts for the Raiders in the late ’80s. Just waiting for the final hit that takes the old man out.

A columnist last week was urging Favre to retire. No good options.

That last pass – he can’t even move before he throws….

Ouch…. I understand why he didn’t want to retire after the NFC Championship.. but now – he’s caught in a choice between his consecutive game streak and the real possibility of an career-ending injury in this game or the next – or the next – that might make him unable to even throw the ball with his grandkids.

I hate to watch

cane_loader on October 31, 2010 at 4:38 PM

And just as I post that, there’s the helmet-to-helmet head shot on Favre…

cane_loader on October 31, 2010 at 4:39 PM

Darn, I can’t even watch football today. Just turned the TV on for a sec..

Rebuilding a boat trailer, then have to help the girlfriend hand out candy. No time to watch.

She’s mad at me for working on the trailer on her day off, and yet, she’s the one kicking my butt every day to go fishing because the trailer isn’t finished.

Female pretzel logic

cane_loader on October 31, 2010 at 4:42 PM

abobo on October 31, 2010 at 1:20 PM

He raped someone? really? Gee that is funny – you sound like a liberal puke.

CWforFreedom on October 31, 2010 at 5:32 PM

Tom Brady really really really needs a haircut.

gophergirl on October 31, 2010 at 5:40 PM

I’m glad I’m not banking on your picks. Favre’s still out there, and the J-E-T-S S*CK! SU*K! SUC*!

steveegg on October 31, 2010 at 6:02 PM

Packers shut out the Jets 9-0, bringing in guys off the street to play D-line. Best win of the season in some respects.

Mr. D on October 31, 2010 at 6:41 PM

gophergirl on October 31, 2010 at 4:27 PM

Wonder how many Leftists watching will trash their TVs after seeing that?

Ruh-Roh, Favre is toast.

Del Dolemonte on October 31, 2010 at 6:45 PM

Another head shot on Favre. He’s down and out. Jackson in at QB for 1st time this season.

Those not watching, you just saw a warrior go down.

Favre had no business in there, having to throw intentional groundings.

But they finally knocked him out with the second head shot of the day.

Helmet to his chin and he’s gone.

Dirty football.

Hats off to an all-time great.

Favre is out of the game.

cane_loader on October 31, 2010 at 6:47 PM

Bad coaching by Childress. Favre should not have been in there.

Who knows, maybe Favre told Childress that he’d take the hit.

cane_loader on October 31, 2010 at 6:48 PM

I guess I’ll throw it out there now. The head shots on QBs have to stop. Favre hit twice in the head today.

Dirty football.

cane_loader on October 31, 2010 at 6:49 PM

Well, not under the rules, was it dirty. I agree with the announcer. But you can’t throw that kind of hit on a QB that can go up and break his jaw or neck. Way too dangerous. Even for a younger QB.

I was about to post awhile ago, while working on my boat trailer, that Childress should pull him. Now I am just fearing that Favre may be badly hurt. Again, he should have been pulled. He was just too immobile and vulnerable. Probably hard-head Favre refused to leave.

cane_loader on October 31, 2010 at 6:52 PM

Wonder how many Leftists watching will trash their TVs after seeing that?

Ruh-Roh, Favre is toast.

Del Dolemonte on October 31, 2010 at 6:45 PM

Especially after the ovation they are sure to get.

As for Favre – I’m not crying that he’s out. Jackson can’t do any worse that’s for sure.

gophergirl on October 31, 2010 at 6:53 PM

cane_loader on October 31, 2010 at 6:49 PM

I agree – I work with someone who is suffering the ill effects of too many concussions. It’s scary watching him go downhill.

gophergirl on October 31, 2010 at 6:54 PM

Favre’s injury is a “laceration”.

That should do it-Pats up by 10 with less than 2 minutes to go.

Del Dolemonte on October 31, 2010 at 7:07 PM

Well that definitely has to be the end of Favre’s consecutive start streak. I can’t see any way a responsible coach can start him next week after seeing what happened to him this week while as immobile as he was.

IMO, it’s not even football anymore. This is about not seeing someone become a paraplegic. The immobility makes him just a tackling dummy.

That’s all I’ve got to say

cane_loader on October 31, 2010 at 7:09 PM

Del, thanks for the update. I’ve got to go – “Hi,” “Bye,” and Happy Hallowe’en!” I don’t know if I’m being too extreme when saying that if Favre’s mobility is not 50% better next week, I Don’t see how any responsible coach can start him?

cane_loader on October 31, 2010 at 7:11 PM

Happy Hallowe’en, all! I’ll be out of touch at a get-together, watching Saints’STeelers.

Hope for a good game! I do think N.O. will win.

cane_loader on October 31, 2010 at 7:13 PM

Not a good year for Minnesota football.

Off to get ready to flip between Sunday Night Football and the World Series.

gophergirl on October 31, 2010 at 7:20 PM

He raped someone? really? Gee that is funny – you sound like a liberal puke.

CWforFreedom on October 31, 2010 at 5:32 PM

He raped the integrity of the game with that “victory” last week!! And since we’re employing hyperbole, you sound like an Iranian holocaust denier for not seeing it my way.

abobo on October 31, 2010 at 7:46 PM

Wow, both run stopping D-ends are out for the Steelers, and New Orleans isn’t even trying to run the ball. Is there run game really that bad?

forest on October 31, 2010 at 9:18 PM

forest on October 31, 2010 at 9:18 PM

Go back to this post up above

Del Dolemonte on October 31, 2010 at 11:06 AM

Del Dolemonte on October 31, 2010 at 10:42 PM

Who Dat, baby! We’ve been hit and miss, but more hit than miss, so don’t count us out yet.

TWO Dat!

LickyLicky on November 1, 2010 at 12:04 AM

McKenzie’s style turtle cookies, a Muffaletta for dinner and a Saints win!

HAPPY Halloween…

LickyLicky on November 1, 2010 at 12:05 AM

BOO DAT

Christien on November 1, 2010 at 1:27 AM

hehe – good one! ;-)

BTW, Roethlisberger is a hell of a QB

cane_loader on November 1, 2010 at 12:42 PM

The Patriots are an NFL best 6-1, and have beaten some good teams already. They’re beginning to look like some of their better teams of the past 10 years, but it’s still early yet.

I was absolutely stunned to hear Randy Moss’ post-game comments, praising his former coach and teammates, while tossing Childress under the bus. Just as stunning: Vikes announce they have waived Moss, after 4 games, and after giving up a 3rd round draft pick to get him!

Did not see the “first” head shot to Favre, but I did see the hit that took him out of the game. During a replay of the hit, one of the announcers said it was a perfectly clean hit, and his sidekick agreed.

I can’t help but be amazed at the NY media’s double standards regarding the Favre sexting/sexual harrassment incident. This story has been kept pretty much under the radar after the initial word of this very serious matter got got out. And Favre even admits to the outlandish phone calls, so it’s not a matter of “innocent until proven guilty.”

Compare that treatment to the months-long bloodthirsty media rampage waged principally by the NY media against the Patriots for taking films of an opponent’s practice from the wrong location in the stadium. Pats haters everwhere will of course defend the outrage felt back then (in reality, perhaps a bit jealous of a 3 time SB champion’s success?). Yeah, right!

My salute to the 6-1 Patriots. I’m out!

Sweet_Thang on November 1, 2010 at 4:15 PM