Open thread: Rally to Support Hipster Irony

posted at 11:40 am on October 30, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

I don’t have much to say about today’s rally on the National Mall by Comedy Central’s hipsters, Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert, except to wish them well and hope they enjoy good weather for their road show.  I’m a fan of pretty much any kind of peaceful political demonstration regardless of whether I agree with the themes or not.  Better to have demonstrations than other kinds of political action, and besides, I’m all in favor of economy-boosting activity.  Good to know that Viacom has positioned itself well for this pox-on-all-houses-but-everyone-knows-which-one-in-particular event.

Allahpundit called this Irony-Stock on Twitter last night, which I think is perfectly descriptive, but Jake Tapper didn’t think it was clever enough.  How about LOLapalooza?  Basically, this is a celebration of political laziness masquerading as ironic detachment, which is something generations have enjoyed in their early adulthood without making it an industry.  Instead of having making actual, serious, and developed political arguments, it’s much easier to make fun of those who do on both sides of the political divide and pretend that one is above it all.  Should be lots of fun, vapid entertainment, and entirely meaningless, sort of like a Michael Bay movie.

The Washington Post will have a live-stream of the rally at this page.  If I find a widget for this, I’ll update the post.

Update (AP): Here’s an embeddable live feed. Jim Treacher’s calling it the Rally to Reassure Ourselves That We’re Not the Ones Who F***ed Everything Up.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 11

I prefer smugfest.

I have a friend at the rally holding a Palpatine/Harkonnen 2012 sign. sigh

Bill C on October 30, 2010 at 11:42 AM

I’m watching it, it’s gonna be funny, and there’s nothing any of you can do to stop me.

Abby Adams on October 30, 2010 at 11:43 AM

I think it will be a huge flop–like Colbert’s “ironic” appearance before Congress.

The National Mall is not ironic. It’s sacred.

PattyJ on October 30, 2010 at 11:44 AM

The Rally to Smugly Mock Likely Voters

amerpundit on October 30, 2010 at 11:44 AM

Good Lord,what a joke.They accused tea part people of “astroturfing” and yet they pay for buses and Oprah sends her whole audience for free. I guess since most of these people are unemployed they had plenty of time on their hands.

sandee on October 30, 2010 at 11:45 AM

Lotta white people in that crowd…

rightheaded on October 30, 2010 at 11:45 AM

It’s a snark-a-thon.

Disturb the Universe on October 30, 2010 at 11:45 AM

It’s in CSPAN starting at noon.

Skandia Recluse on October 30, 2010 at 11:45 AM

sorry…”party” people.

sandee on October 30, 2010 at 11:45 AM

waiting to see the real size of the crowd… 20-40,000 is my guess going into it… sort of Madison Square Garden + Verizon Center

phreshone on October 30, 2010 at 11:46 AM

I’d like to be there to see these Losers standing around looking at each other as it slowly dawns on them that they don’t really know why they came, and don’t really have a prayer of surviving the coming tsunami. Sweet.

Oh, and Treacher nailed it!

2ipa on October 30, 2010 at 11:47 AM

Peoples Temple.

the_nile on October 30, 2010 at 11:48 AM

On the plus side, all the Coffee Beans are vacant.

Chuck Schick on October 30, 2010 at 11:48 AM

I just tried to head down there but the Pentagon City Metro station was more packed than I’ve ever seen it, and I was at the big Tea Party Rally in 2009. I forgot the draw that free entertainment is. I did see a few people with “Don’t Tread on Me” signs which could make for some interesting interactions.

I’m going to try to head down again in a few minutes only this time with my Metro card (which I stupidly forgot). The lines for the card machines were easily 30 to 60 minutes long at 11:30 AM. The line for the trains extended up from the platform and maybe 40 feet beyond the card readers.

Planet Moron on October 30, 2010 at 11:48 AM

Hmmm. Still a lot of walking-around room up front.

Hey cameraman, how about a wide shot!

IrishEi on October 30, 2010 at 11:48 AM

I’m sure MSNBC will be drooling over the hippie crowd turnout today. Even if they turn out 100,000 people, I look at it this way …….

All of Obama’s supporters are in D.C. today.

Meanwhile, the Tea Partiers are back home getting out the vote.

Win. Win.

Enjoy your World’s Biggest Day at the Improv. Losers.

fogw on October 30, 2010 at 11:49 AM

On the plus side, Democratic strategists are apparently upset that the rally pulled activists away from knocking on doors and making phone calls on the weekend before the election.

amerpundit on October 30, 2010 at 11:50 AM

Loserpalooza.

AZCoyote on October 30, 2010 at 11:50 AM

Planet Moron on October 30, 2010 at 11:48 AM

Keep in mind the Marine Corps Marathon is this weekend, too.

amerpundit on October 30, 2010 at 11:51 AM

stonerpalooza

sandee on October 30, 2010 at 11:51 AM

Coming from their most ardent mutual admiration society member.

maverick muse on October 30, 2010 at 11:51 AM

Irony-Stock

LOLapalooza?

Rally to Reassure Ourselves That We’re Not the Ones Who F***ed Everything Up.

I prefer the P-Party as in pity party, the place where libs can express their wee-weed up status.

canditaylor68 on October 30, 2010 at 11:52 AM

Where’s my unicorn! rally.

the_nile on October 30, 2010 at 11:52 AM

This attack of the hairy armpits has been brought to you by Ariana Huffington and Oprah Winfrey.

Key West Reader on October 30, 2010 at 11:52 AM

Dorkstock.

Bishop on October 30, 2010 at 11:52 AM

is cousin pookie on the couch still? Or is he in DC tryin’ to get his laugh on/?

ted c on October 30, 2010 at 11:52 AM

ED: Instead of having making actual, serious, and developed political arguments, it’s much easier to make fun of those who do on both sides of the political divide and pretend that one is above it all.

I think this is spot on Ed but I ask the board would being above it all worked after 9-11-01? I am not saying the current economic crisis is like 9-11 as much as the mood to take things seriously is similar. Taking to the stage to mock people WHO ARE taking the country’s situation seriously 3 days before the election? This is the moment EVEN the blessed independents (I really think of many of them as apolitical until elections) are contemplating where the country is and where it should go before voting on Tuesday and they turn on the TV and see the liberal groups yukking it up? The result of this rally is the furthering of the idea that liberals don’t take other people’s concerns seriously and laugh them off. If this rally has any effect it will be that liberals are unfit to lead.

Conan on October 30, 2010 at 11:53 AM

Just remember, if anything goes wrong, “we meant to do that”.

Key West Reader on October 30, 2010 at 11:53 AM

A Non Monty Pythons Political Rally Romp!!!!!!!!!!!!

canopfor on October 30, 2010 at 11:53 AM

amerpundit on October 30, 2010 at 11:50 AM

0_0 Never thought about it that way.

Go DORKS!

Bishop on October 30, 2010 at 11:54 AM

Actually, I think this will be a huge crowd. Easily exceeding the Beck rally. Hey, free concert and a chance to see Stewart and Colbert in person. The slackers will show up in droves. The free transportation doesn’t hurt either. I just don’t see this translating into more Democrat votes as Stewart/Colbert and their press cheerleaders are hoping.

WarEagle01 on October 30, 2010 at 11:54 AM

just pick up the trash when you leave, stewart. That means, take all of your friends with you.

ted c on October 30, 2010 at 11:54 AM

Keep in mind the Marine Corps Marathon is this weekend, too.

amerpundit on October 30, 2010 at 11:51 AM

Yes. It’s an all-weekend event, and 100,000 runners and guests are expected.

IrishEi on October 30, 2010 at 11:54 AM

I second the preference for SmugFest 2010. Seems most appropriate.

In honor of the event I think I’ll go visit this site again. (LANGUAGE WARNING)

Animator Girl on October 30, 2010 at 11:54 AM

Big government shill rally.

the_nile on October 30, 2010 at 11:55 AM

A free ride to free entertainment.

tinkerthinker on October 30, 2010 at 11:55 AM

When the court jester has to govern for a day, being funny doesn’t cut it anymore.

Paul-Cincy on October 30, 2010 at 11:56 AM

Unfortunately, I’ve come across at least 3 Facebook friends so far who are attending. Yeah, I suspect it will be big. Here’s the thing, though: does that translate into anything at the polls? I think not. As Ed said, this is basically a self-congratulatory event, which is not exactly motivating.

Animator Girl on October 30, 2010 at 11:56 AM

View from the Netherlands Carillon Looking East
Washington, D.C. updated 10/30/2010 11:45 AM EDT
=====================================================

Anybody else have webcam access linky’s near the Rally!

canopfor on October 30, 2010 at 11:57 AM

Keep in mind the Marine Corps Marathon is this weekend, too.

Yep, in fact, always lots of things going on here, but this crowd looked very ironically detached.

If I can actually get to the rally I’ll let you know. I hope to blog and tweet from it but if past experience is any guide, the AT&T network will fold like a Moveon.com supporter at a Rand Paul Rally.

Planet Moron on October 30, 2010 at 11:58 AM

Masturbation Nation.

The pleasure is fleeting.

fogw on October 30, 2010 at 11:59 AM

This is a stupid move on Stewart’s part. Up to now, he could maintain the fiction that he’s an unaffiliated harasser of both ends of the political spectrum. Now he’s put himself out there as just another leftard tool.

Cicero43 on October 30, 2010 at 11:59 AM

Apparently some believe that what our nation lacks most at this critical time is profane, stoned-out humor. Either that, or they’re consciously trying to mislead our youth into voting against their best interests.

paul1149 on October 30, 2010 at 11:59 AM

Glenn Reynolds (Instapundit) is calling it: The Rally to Reassert the Failed Narrative.

That sounds about right.

Rational Thought on October 30, 2010 at 12:00 PM

Like rats, when trouble is coming they know and like to flee en masse. Seems to me they are gathering for one last group hug and then the exodus because I am thinking after next Tuesday we will not be seeing these types of gatherings for some time to come!

bluemarlin on October 30, 2010 at 12:00 PM

WarEagle01 on October 30, 2010 at 11:54 AM

“free” is not a good motivator. It helps for those around the area but “free” is not enough to pull people from around the nation who has to spend money on transportation, hotels, drugs, booze, loose women, etc .

I would be surprised to see 100k show up.

Remember the marine marathon is going on today in Dc today also so alot of those “booked” rooms are for that event not for this rally.

unseen on October 30, 2010 at 12:00 PM

I do love the tuba!

Blake on October 30, 2010 at 12:00 PM

The Roots performing now.

Abby Adams on October 30, 2010 at 12:01 PM

Those who cannot do, teach. Those who cannot teach, poke fun.

29Victor on October 30, 2010 at 12:01 PM

Greene/Marceaux 2010!!

TugboatPhil on October 30, 2010 at 12:01 PM

That sounds about right.

Rational Thought on October 30, 2010 at 12:00 PM

Well yes, because we are just too stupid to understand it and more talking will get it through our peasant minds.

bluemarlin on October 30, 2010 at 12:01 PM

And the Little Red Hen Obama asked, “Who will ridicule conservatives for me?”

Self deluded Obamanots stuck in perpetual denial.

AS IF the response came,
“Not I,” said the duck.
“Not I,” said the pig.
Leaving the Little Red Hen Obama to smear the Tea Party without any help. “Then I’ll do it myself, and don’t ever ask me a favor.” As if.

maverick muse on October 30, 2010 at 12:02 PM

I hope they bother to clean up after themselves when it’s all over.

mizflame98 on October 30, 2010 at 12:02 PM

It is on CSPAN1 now

bluemarlin on October 30, 2010 at 12:02 PM

Everyone’s white! Racist rally.

Key West Reader on October 30, 2010 at 12:03 PM

They are deliberately not showing the crowd.

Blake on October 30, 2010 at 12:03 PM

the AT&T network will fold like a Moveon.com supporter at a Rand Paul Rally.

I’m stealing that. No, you won’t get an ounce of credit.

Bishop on October 30, 2010 at 12:04 PM

To quote our buddy JammieWearingFool: Smugapalooza!

kingsjester on October 30, 2010 at 12:04 PM

Behold, the dancing tuba!

Wyznowski on October 30, 2010 at 12:04 PM

I wonder why you would say this? I mean, what made Beck’s rally “meaningful” (if you indeed think it was)?

Thing is, no one really knows what this rally will be… will it be a parody of rallies like Beck’s and the Million Man march? Will it be just a larger, outdoor vehicle for the political comedy found on the Daily Show and Colbert Report? Or, in a curveball, will it be a straight-forward political rally.

I’m guessing one of the first two. If it is one of those two, why would it be necessarily be meaningless? Do you think comedy and satire are inherently meaningless? Does one have to convey their thoughts in a somber, serious way for it to have meaning?

This rally could turn out to “meaningless” — unsubstantial material played off merely for cheap laughs. But, depending on what they do, they could be a lot of meaning to these rallies today.

The fact that you’ve already written off these rallies shows that you don’t want them to be successful or meaningful.

You’ve written the critique prior to the performance.

Tom_Shipley on October 30, 2010 at 12:04 PM

Blake on October 30, 2010 at 12:03 PM

I noticed that, too.

kingsjester on October 30, 2010 at 12:04 PM

I’m with you, Ed. It’s a legitimate pushback, I guess, to the Teaparty success.

That’s a good discourse.

I think their very choice of label is demeaning to people, so I think it represents the elistism.

But they chose it.

AnninCA on October 30, 2010 at 12:05 PM

FACT: There will be more condoms used for this Rally, than used in both the Winter & Summer Olympic Villages combined.

FACT: Marijuana Smugglers have been in 24/7 mode in order to get enough product to DC for this event.

FACT: The amount of Fuel/Energy burned in order to meet up for this Rally will destroy 3 species and will have cause the complete clear cut of 42 Sacred Rain Forests.

FACT: When these clowns leave, the garbage left behind will actually make the place look like a Landfill.

portlandon on October 30, 2010 at 12:05 PM

Anyone else reminded of Nero playing the fiddle while Rome burns ?

William Amos on October 30, 2010 at 12:06 PM

Meh, needs more tuba…

Wyznowski on October 30, 2010 at 12:06 PM

Any giant paper-mache heads, that’s usually a sign of a leftist gathering. Or Che shirts.

Bishop on October 30, 2010 at 12:07 PM

Notice all the smoke in the crowd shots.

Hummmm – wonder what that could be?

stenwin77 on October 30, 2010 at 12:07 PM

Dorkstock.

Bishop on October 30, 2010 at 11:52 AM

Heh. But hey- that high school marching band reject with the tuba is really lighting them up!

2ipa on October 30, 2010 at 12:07 PM

Tom, to quote some movie I can’t remember the name of this rally is “like trying to find meaning in a Pauly Shore movie.”

sandee on October 30, 2010 at 12:07 PM

You’ve written the critique prior to the performance.

Tom_Shipley on October 30, 2010 at 12:04 PM

When you ask Comedians to deliver your message that says alot about what message you want to send.

William Amos on October 30, 2010 at 12:07 PM

They ought to read Luke 18:9-14 and then think real hard about it.

Mr. D on October 30, 2010 at 12:08 PM

Tom_Shipley on October 30, 2010 at 12:04 PM

Awesome commitment being absent. Your not even there to vote “present”.

maverick muse on October 30, 2010 at 12:08 PM

Ok the rally starts out with a rap song? I get they are trying to protray a sense of action but it really looks like a riot instead of a rally

unseen on October 30, 2010 at 12:08 PM

The GOP should be giving out Free Beer/ Tequila all weekend, along with a free Burrito bar.

These fools will be too hung over/ Toilet challenged to get back to their homes to vote on Tuesday.

portlandon on October 30, 2010 at 12:08 PM

Rapita..Rapita….boom…rapita boom rapita boom…

needs more cowbell.

Skandia Recluse on October 30, 2010 at 12:10 PM

Roots FRW!!!!

Love Quest Love

Aquateen Hungerforce on October 30, 2010 at 12:10 PM

I’m watching on TV and I’m wondering — Where’s the diversity? The audience is as white as a Glenn Beck crowd. I thought libs were supposed to be diverse?

MaxMBJ on October 30, 2010 at 12:10 PM

Tom_Shipley on October 30, 2010 at 12:04 PM

The difference, Tom? Beck put together a rally to promote Restoring Honor, in celebration of God, our founding fathers, and the Judeo-Christian principles upon which this nation was founded, while honoring those that are making a difference, such as Alveda King, and our fighting men and women. Today’s pre-fab rally is nothing but a “hey-we’re-smarter-than-you-hillbillies” snarkfest.

But, you knew that already, didn’t you?

kingsjester on October 30, 2010 at 12:10 PM

The only irony I’ve seen so far is that this is an entirely political event masquerading as an ironic non-political event. Stewart chastised Obama the other night for being “timid” in his legislative efforts! Oh, yes, he’s very non-political, you know, except for being a far-left loon who’s unhappy with the president because he hasn’t done enough.

Rational Thought on October 30, 2010 at 12:10 PM

did the WaPo do a live feed of the Beck rally?

commodore on October 30, 2010 at 12:10 PM

A bunch of upper middle class white college kids, the “great unwashed” of the Bos-Wash.

I would so have been there when I was 19. Then I would have gone back to campus and voted Republican. Hey, a giant street party and a chance to check out the local “talent”, what healthy college kid could resist?

obladioblada on October 30, 2010 at 12:10 PM

Slow dance…everybody…slow dance…

Skandia Recluse on October 30, 2010 at 12:10 PM

They do not have sound and feed right , or they are lip synching

bluemarlin on October 30, 2010 at 12:11 PM

“Dear God”???

Uh-oh, peeps ain’t gonna like that!

Abby Adams on October 30, 2010 at 12:11 PM

Tom_Shipley on October 30, 2010 at 12:04 PM

There is no way to make fun of conservatives concerns about the country as “fear” to a majority of the country that takes those concerns seriously.

This is the equivalent of a husband telling his wife to quit being so emotional about the mortgage and just be calm like he is.

Divorce Court is on Tuesday on with unserious partner’s “Rally to Bring Back Fear” as they call it as Exhibit A that they aren’t someone to married to.

Conan on October 30, 2010 at 12:11 PM

You’ve written the critique prior to the performance.

Tom_Shipley on October 30, 2010 at 12:04 PM

So sue him. Were you all huffy last August when the LSM, NAACP, and nutroots were damning the Glenn Beck rally as racist and hateful before it took place? And here you are all wee-weed up cuz Ed is saying it’s “meaningless”.

You’ve got to love Libs.

RepubChica on October 30, 2010 at 12:11 PM

So now they are mocking religeon ? Great start !/sarc

William Amos on October 30, 2010 at 12:12 PM

What a coincidence, John Legend and The Roots just released a new album together last month….

crazywater on October 30, 2010 at 12:12 PM

Where’s my lighter?

ElectricPhase on October 30, 2010 at 12:12 PM

So, tens of thousands of people normally pay to see these musicians in concert. Of course they will show up when it is free. Why do leftist political rallies always have to offer free concerts, food, etc.? Even Obama’s biggies in 2008 were preceded by well-known musical acts. It’s almost like they think no one will show up without the incentive.

mrsmwp on October 30, 2010 at 12:13 PM

Oh, I see the diversity now … it’s all on-stage. Now wasn’t this the beef Olberman and company had against Beck.

This thing really is ironic.

MaxMBJ on October 30, 2010 at 12:13 PM

I mean, what made Beck’s rally “meaningful”

He raised $5 million for a foundation that helps disabled veterans.

You would be lucky to raise $500 from this crowd if you announced the same beneficiary.

Bishop on October 30, 2010 at 12:13 PM

Allahpundit called this Irony-Stock on Twitter last night, which I think is perfectly descriptive, but Jake Tapper didn’t think it was clever enough. How about LOLapalooza?

I’m thinking more Snark-fest.

Count to 10 on October 30, 2010 at 12:13 PM

Didn’t I just see a “restore sanity” sign next to a “9-11 was an inside job” sign.

Hummer53 on October 30, 2010 at 12:13 PM

actually this is a good thing. in 5 mins the contrast between the conservatives and the libs could not be plainer. the conservative rally was low key, respectful, dignified….this rally is choas squared.

one was order the other is destruction.

It’s like god vs the devil in live living color

unseen on October 30, 2010 at 12:14 PM

The only black people are the entertainers. This rally is racist.

Key West Reader on October 30, 2010 at 12:14 PM

I’m all for this event, as these people just can’t help themselves which means they will further put on display why these types can’t be trusted to lead a free people. Just watch these people today and learn once again what you already knew about them. I’m betting the place will be one huge mess when they leave; they do what they do best, trash other peoples stuff.

Keemo on October 30, 2010 at 12:14 PM

He raised $5 million for a foundation that helps disabled veterans.

Bishop on October 30, 2010 at 12:13 PM