Open thread: Rally to Support Hipster Irony

posted at 11:40 am on October 30, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

I don’t have much to say about today’s rally on the National Mall by Comedy Central’s hipsters, Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert, except to wish them well and hope they enjoy good weather for their road show.  I’m a fan of pretty much any kind of peaceful political demonstration regardless of whether I agree with the themes or not.  Better to have demonstrations than other kinds of political action, and besides, I’m all in favor of economy-boosting activity.  Good to know that Viacom has positioned itself well for this pox-on-all-houses-but-everyone-knows-which-one-in-particular event.

Allahpundit called this Irony-Stock on Twitter last night, which I think is perfectly descriptive, but Jake Tapper didn’t think it was clever enough.  How about LOLapalooza?  Basically, this is a celebration of political laziness masquerading as ironic detachment, which is something generations have enjoyed in their early adulthood without making it an industry.  Instead of having making actual, serious, and developed political arguments, it’s much easier to make fun of those who do on both sides of the political divide and pretend that one is above it all.  Should be lots of fun, vapid entertainment, and entirely meaningless, sort of like a Michael Bay movie.

The Washington Post will have a live-stream of the rally at this page.  If I find a widget for this, I’ll update the post.

Update (AP): Here’s an embeddable live feed. Jim Treacher’s calling it the Rally to Reassure Ourselves That We’re Not the Ones Who F***ed Everything Up.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 9 10 11

That poster on the post, reminds me of some two headed monster.

Somehow, I don’t think they use the same dictionary to define sanity

Kini on October 30, 2010 at 6:34 PM

So according to the ‘left-wing’ the ‘right-wing’ is supposedly “going off” on the fact that Stewart/Colbert had Yusef Islam (Cat Stevens) on their little talent show.

I haven’t seen any evidence of that though, yet. Anyone see anything credible concerning this?

FlatFoot on October 30, 2010 at 6:34 PM

Oh. And the DNC has been actively recruiting at this ‘non-political rally’.

FlatFoot on October 30, 2010 at 6:35 PM

Love Drudge’s headline under a picture of Colbert and Stewart: Send in the Clowns.

(Don’t bother, Drudge, they’re here).

AZCoyote on October 30, 2010 at 6:36 PM

canopfor on October 30, 2010 at 6:32 PM

By all means canopfor, send it in. Although Drudge deserves the credit. He is awesome, in my book.

But, did you listen and did it sound to you like the crowd was chanting NO MORE LIES?

tigerlily on October 30, 2010 at 6:38 PM

FlatFoot on October 30, 2010 at 6:34 PM

Well, noted blog Hot Air did remark upon it.

joe_doufu on October 30, 2010 at 6:39 PM

I see this rally as the final whimper of the left before Tuesday.

Hope you had fun, suckers.

blatantblue on October 30, 2010 at 6:42 PM

Cat Stevens is an ass.

islam is a lie and
Truth is killing it.

Army Brat on October 30, 2010 at 6:45 PM

C-SPIN will be replaying a condensed (2 hour) version tonight at 8 PM Eastern time. The Giants should be up 6-0 over Texas by then!

Del Dolemonte on October 30, 2010 at 6:53 PM

I know this is slightly OT, but did anyone else listen to the CT tsunami-heckle at obama’s appearance? It sounded like the entire crowd was chanting, NO MORE LIES.

I just wonder if I’m hearing things or not, because it would be a gift from God that obama’s own robots have gone from “yes we can” to “no more lies”. A pure, undeserved, fabulous, gift.

Here’s the link – please, tell me I’m not imagining things. start listening at 2:15

tigerlily on October 30, 2010 at 6:59 PM

Del Dolemonte on October 30, 2010 at 6:53 PM

Good Lord willin’ an the crick don’ rise.

darwin-t on October 30, 2010 at 6:59 PM

No but a friend of mine is there and he spoke to a Parks Department employee. She said that the crowd is much bigger than the Beck rally. Also, the people are better looking and cleaner.
crr6 on October 30, 2010 at 3:38 PM

Sounds scientific./

Oh and gotta love comments about looks and hygiene coming from you . You being at least 170 pounds, post-adolescent acne, and pizza grease on your flannel shirt and stretch pants.

CWforFreedom on October 30, 2010 at 7:03 PM

canopfor on October 30, 2010 at 6:32 PM
=============================

tigerlily on October 30, 2010 at 6:38 PM

tigerlily: Yes,they(the protesters)stopped Obama in his
tracks,and boy,that facial expression,he looked
pissed!:)

canopfor on October 30, 2010 at 7:04 PM

(just coming in from a day of Jr. Mighty Mite Football with little 7%…

… turn on the computer and check Drudge and Hot Air.

Pause for a moment, drink a beer whilst reading some posts…

… Decide life is too short to continue wasting any more time on these idiots and decides to go to the Halloween Party after all!)

Have a good night everyone…

Seven Percent Solution on October 30, 2010 at 7:04 PM

Hinmahtooyahlatkek on October 30, 2010 at 5:17 PM

Mrs Hawk is a quarter Navajo, I’m going to just ask her that. And you better not be pulling my leg. :-)

hawkdriver on October 30, 2010 at 7:07 PM

tigerlily on October 30, 2010 at 6:59 PM

I don’t think you are hearing things. It does sound like they are chanting “No More Lies”.

What I don’t know is how the rest of his speech went. Did they eject the protesters?

Obama has no one to blame this time. The anger is directed him.

Kini on October 30, 2010 at 7:09 PM

Oh and let’s pat ourselves on the back for another 1,000+ comment post

Kini on October 30, 2010 at 7:10 PM

tigerlily on October 30, 2010 at 6:59 PM

Obama has no one to blame this time. The anger is directed him.

Kini on October 30, 2010 at 7:09 PM

Thanks for listening Kini. This is just too good to be true. I hope it goes VIRAL.

tigerlily on October 30, 2010 at 7:14 PM

A moment of (in)sanity at the Seattle rally
And pictures

Gwillie on October 30, 2010 at 7:15 PM

My friend went to the “rally” and said that it was about one fifth the size of the Beck rally, that were there lots of signs with Hitler moustaches on conservative persons, that there were lots of lesbians in matching tee shirts about fear, that there were signs saying “I masturbate to Christene O’Donnell” and that there were also lots of young people with Harvard and Bowdoin tee shirts. Seems it was pretty much a fizzle compared to the Beck rally.

I find it interesting that on lots of web sites, there are lots of trolls buzzing around in desperation as if someone has disturbed their hive existence.

Dhuka on October 30, 2010 at 7:17 PM

Kini on October 30, 2010 at 7:09 PM

yeah Tigerlily and Kini. Sounded very much like No More Lie and then his buddies were trying to our shout them with O-Ba-Ma. Then you can hear no more lies again. They were really fired up.

PS, I guess the prez must not have heard about President Bush’s African AIDS funding.

hawkdriver on October 30, 2010 at 7:19 PM

Kini,

I don’t know if they ejected the protestors, but knowing obama, they did, because from the looks of things on the video, neither the protestors nor the entire crowd was going to settle back down and listen to TOTUS drone on for the millionth time. And this crowd is hand picked, and in CT! Thank you, Lord!

P.S. How about that Presidential moment when he told the hecklers that they should leave his presence and go to protest “against the other side”. There’s a two-fer – censorship of his dogs and while attempting to sic his dogs on his “enemies”….

tigerlily on October 30, 2010 at 7:23 PM

You might find this interesting
3. How many parents are using the rally as a rare opportunity to air out the basement where their slacker/loser thirtysomething child dwells?
Kini on October 30, 2010 at 6:42 PM

4. Are the guys in raincoats from Media Matters?

#4 Yes and it really ticked off their parents (#3) cuz they really wanted to get ride of those skankie raincoats their thirty something slacker/loser child had been keeping in the basement!

DSchoen on October 30, 2010 at 7:36 PM

hawkdriver on October 30, 2010 at 7:19 PM

Yes, that’s what I was thinking. Although, even if obama had heard about it, his default setting is to lie.

My further question, though, is about the amount of money and if it is the same amount that Savage was mentioning on his radio program the other day. While Bush sent a relatively mere 40 Million to Africa for AIDS prevention and treatment, and from what I understand, the money was actually spent for the purpose it was sent, to great success, according to Savage, obama has sent 50 BILLION to various African nations, (allegedly for AIDS “assistance”) and none of it is tagged for any type of accountablility.

According to Savage, obama never had authorization to send that amount out of the country, to take it from the stimulus, and that some of the heads of the nations say they don’t know how to put that amount of money through their systems, in other words, it’s just too much. However, I’m sure obama has several offshore accounts that can handle some of the overflow from one trillion of our dollars that not one official in the entire United States will acknowledge whereabouts of.

tigerlily on October 30, 2010 at 7:37 PM

A moment of (in)sanity at the Seattle rally…
And pictures

Gwillie on October 30, 2010 at 7:15 PM

Wow… I did not know that Seattle is 99.9% white. Guess I’ll cancel that part of my coming soon journey to see America. I mean… seen one white liberal, seen em all.

RalphyBoy on October 30, 2010 at 7:38 PM

hawkdriver on October 30, 2010 at 7:19 PM

tigerlily on October 30, 2010 at 7:23 PM

I seem to remember, either CNN or MSNBC, a reporter being shocked to hear someone from Africa praising Bush for his work with AIDS in Africa. So much so, he almost fell off his chair. Can’t find the Video, but it was on HA.

Obama has exposed himself and he cannot continue to blame Bush for his bad policies.

Kini on October 30, 2010 at 7:39 PM

tigerlily on October 30, 2010 at 7:37 PM

The money certainly didn’t go the the Pirates of Penzance, but more likely the Pirates of Samolia and other despots.

Kini on October 30, 2010 at 7:43 PM

The duo is nothing but a twin idiots. I never watched them coz their “satires” are in fact “insults”.

TheAlamos on October 30, 2010 at 7:45 PM

tigerlily on October 30, 2010 at 7:23 PM

Was that before, after or during him telling us, “

lawmakers had a “duty” to seek common ground.”

DSchoen on October 30, 2010 at 7:47 PM

FlatFoot on October 30, 2010 at 6:34 PM

Yeah, and rightly so. The idiot supported the idea of killing Rushdie.
This whole show was nothing but has-beens…Ozzy and Cat Stevens…poster children for why you shouldn’t do drugs.

Deanna on October 30, 2010 at 7:50 PM

Kini on October 30, 2010 at 7:43 PM

I seriously think that the marathon three trillion dollar looting of the nation that has taken place under obama/pelosi/reid/frank is probably the crime of all crimes.
Every one of them, taking their piece of this multi-trillion pie that is completely unaccounted for, may well already be wealthier than anyone can imagine. When I hear talk of Pelosi retiring, and walking off into a life of luxury, it makes my blood boil. The whole lot of them should be doing life.

tigerlily on October 30, 2010 at 7:52 PM

tigerlily on October 30, 2010 at 7:23 PM

Was that before, after or during him telling us, “lawmakers had a “duty” to seek common ground.”

DSchoen on October 30, 2010 at 7:47 PM

Don’t know, but then again, we know that before, after and in between, the “man” will lie.

That’s why I just can’t get over the fact the entire CT crowd was yelling in unison, to obama’s face, NO MORE LIES!”

Please let this go viral. And God bless Joe Wilson.

tigerlily on October 30, 2010 at 7:56 PM

Ed is such a nice guy. I’m not feeling so charitable.

I hope that a formation of birds, like at 8.28.10, flew over the crowd and crapped on each and every one of them before peeling away into the distance. Because that would be funny as hell. It’s comedy, after all, right? Anything for a laugh.

Meanwhile, serious people are where they are needed, in the districts preparing to restore freedom and sensible government to America.

I am going to enjoy the real hilarious comedy of watching the Democrat Empire fall one after the other after the other.

Screw them, they are jerks. Too bad there isn’t a good complex of severe thunderstorms rolling through to ruin this stupid farce.

Brian1972 on October 30, 2010 at 8:01 PM

Kini on October 30, 2010 at 7:39 PM

I hate to say this, Kini, but Yes, He Can. :o

tigerlily on October 30, 2010 at 8:02 PM

tigerlily on October 30, 2010 at 6:38 PM

Maybe they’re chanting ‘No More LYSol’

Red State State of Mind on October 30, 2010 at 8:04 PM

Brian1972 on October 30, 2010 at 8:01 PM

You know, the birds flying in formation was such a beautiful moment. Truly a gift, imo. I seriously wonder if some kind of creepy things went on at the Stewart/Colbert happening. Besides the whole thing taking place, I mean. Because the master they serve doesn’t do beauty. At all.

tigerlily on October 30, 2010 at 8:07 PM

tigerlily on October 30, 2010 at 6:38 PM

Maybe they’re chanting ‘No More LYSol’

Red State State of Mind on October 30, 2010 at 8:04 PM

They’ll need it by the barrel when BO and MO finally vacate 1600 Pennsylvania.

tigerlily on October 30, 2010 at 8:09 PM

Have a good night everyone…

Seven Percent Solution on October 30, 2010 at 7:04 PM

Seven Percent Solution: Gooodnight SPS.I expect,er,It
would be great to have you on
November 2,for your quick wit,
eh——————:)

canopfor on October 30, 2010 at 8:17 PM

Restoring Sanity Was A Joke and So Is Obama!

While millions of — out of work — Americans were wondering how they are going to pay their bills, feed their families, get to work, or where they are going to stay the night, Obama was pinning his political “hopes” on these two jackasses.

Nearly Nobody on October 30, 2010 at 8:18 PM

I was so excited for this event… that I forgot all about it

Opinionnation on October 30, 2010 at 8:25 PM

Yusuf Islam is SINGING: THE BOMB IS COMING!

And the “moderates” are shouting: Yeah, Yeah! It’s for the tea parties. We are not capitalists and definitely NOT CHRISTIANS. Newsweak has a proof.

/sarc

TheAlamos on October 30, 2010 at 8:31 PM

I hope they have invited the Brit band “The Clash” to sing:

LONDON IS CALLING!

/sarc [revise the lyrics by changing London to Washington]

TheAlamos on October 30, 2010 at 8:34 PM

Weasel Zippers has an interesting photo comparing today’s rally (small) to the Beck rally (large).

Dhuka on October 30, 2010 at 8:40 PM

Dhuka on October 30, 2010 at 8:40 PM

linky?

cmsinaz on October 30, 2010 at 8:46 PM

linky?

cmsinaz on October 30, 2010 at 8:46 PM

sharrukin on October 30, 2010 at 8:47 PM

sharrukin on October 30, 2010 at 8:47 PM

Dark and grainy, size banner looks off scale.

Kini on October 30, 2010 at 8:51 PM

sharrukin on October 30, 2010 at 8:47 PM

thank you!

no comparison

cmsinaz on October 30, 2010 at 8:51 PM

When is the Rally to Restore Comedy?

SurferDoc on October 30, 2010 at 3:53 PM

It’ll start with QuitterCuda’s next tweet. Wait for it…

chumpThreads on October 30, 2010 at 8:54 PM

chumpThreads on October 30, 2010 at 8:54 PM

the fear is strong in you

unseen on October 30, 2010 at 8:56 PM

I just got back from the rally. I was also at the Beck rally. First I must say rallies should always be held near Halloween. It adds flavor. There were a lot of people at today’s rally. I didn’t get a good view but it was on par with the Beck rally. Based on parking though at today’s rally there were a lot more at beck since I arrived at noon at the metro station and easily found parking but at the Beck rally parking was already difficult at 10am.
There were a lot of good signs today but there was a lot of hate directed at the tea party. A LOT of hate.

GardenGnome on October 30, 2010 at 8:58 PM

Dark and grainy, size banner looks off scale.

Kini on October 30, 2010 at 8:51 PM

Well, it looks to me like Beck’s rally was much larger, but the media will ignore and spin it to be whatever they choose. The Ministry of Truth never sleeps and far too many still believe their trash. I mean they seriously tried to claim that Beck’s rally only had 87,000.

sharrukin on October 30, 2010 at 8:59 PM

the fear is strong in you

unseen on October 30, 2010 at 8:56 PM

Fear is a naked man running with scissors…

chumpThreads on October 30, 2010 at 9:04 PM

Glad they had a good turnout. Glad they had the opportunity to promote themselves as sane and without fear. Glad Huffington got to put herself on the front page of her site (again and again and again and will probably be on all the Sunday am shows tomorrow as some selfless hero). Glad the people seemed happy. Glad nobody will call them a bunch of racists like they did the tea party protestors. Hope they didn’t leave tons of trash. I watched a bit of it and was bored silly.

scalleywag on October 30, 2010 at 9:13 PM

Fear is a naked man running with scissors…

chumpThreads on October 30, 2010 at 9:04 PM

i don’t know if you are naked or not but you are blind.

unseen on October 30, 2010 at 9:15 PM

FOR THE RECORD: THEY ARE ALL OBAMA SUPPORTERS!

TIME TO COMPARE THEM WITH BECK’S!

TheAlamos on October 30, 2010 at 9:35 PM

Irrelevant come tuesday

blatantblue on October 30, 2010 at 11:18 PM

Loserstock.

theflyonthewall on October 31, 2010 at 12:26 AM

tigerlily on October 30, 2010 at 7:37 PM

rallying cry for 2010 – show us the money.

seesalrun on October 31, 2010 at 2:07 AM

Seven Percent Solution: Gooodnight SPS.I expect,er,It
would be great to have you on
November 2,for your quick wit,
eh——————:)

canopfor on October 30, 2010 at 8:17 PM

I will be here my friend…

Seven Percent Solution on October 31, 2010 at 2:11 AM

Frankly, I thought the rally was a bit like Beck’s, but just the secular version of the same message.

We’re getting along fine. Let’s keep being positive.

Nothing wrong with that.

AnninCA on October 31, 2010 at 3:35 PM

Not likely to have an effect either way on the vote tomorrow. This was a Viacom audience maintenance event by the corporate promotions department. If these Comedy Central characters (that’s all they are) did not do the expected, and respond to Beck after ridiculing him and his (as I understand they do,) they may have seen some viewership erosion. Viewer numbers are so small they couldn’t afford any. The Daily Show/Colbert series, in other words, would have fumbled some audience’s suspension-of-disbelief. That the dumbstream media bought totally into it was a not-difficult-to-predict bonus. That the cable channels sold ads for the show was gravy. Corporate media log rolling. Viacom will return the favor at some point. But still, a wash politically.

curved space on November 1, 2010 at 8:02 AM