Marist: Toomey up 7 in PA

posted at 5:45 pm on October 30, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Marist released its latest polls for races in four states yesterday evening, and the news looks good for Republicans — perhaps most in Pennsylvania, where the GOP could use some good news.  After polls showed the races tightening in the Keystone State for Senate and governor, Marist now shows Pat Toomey with a seven-point lead over Joe Sestak with just a few days left.  Tom Corbett likewise has a seven point lead over Dan Onorato, with both Republicans crossing the 50% marker.

Toomey leads 52/45, with only 2% left undecided in the race.  Corbett has a 51/44 lead with 4% undecided.  Both win wide margins with voters claiming to be “very enthusiastic,” a trend seen for Republicans in all four states.  For Corbett,. it’s 59/36, and for Toomey it’s 55/37.  The total sample had an 11-point Democratic advantage but the likely voters were R+2, which means turnout will be the entire ballgame.  Barack Obama has spent a lot of time in Philadelphia attempting to rally the base, but that only will work in Philadelphia, where his approval rating is 78/18.  In the state, he’s at a 47/46, and so far his efforts don’t appear to be paying off for either Sestak or Onoato.

WISCONSIN: Not too much surprising in this poll.  Ron Johnson still enjoys a healthy lead over incumbent Democrat Russ Feingold among likely voters and a narrow one among all registered voters (52/45, 44/42).  Scott Walker holds the same lead over Tom Barrett for Governor, 51/44.  The White House appears to have chosen wisely in writing off Wisconsin this weekend, but that may come back to bite Obama when he attempts to win re-election.

COLORADO: Ken Buck holds a narrow 49/45 lead over incumbent Democrat Michael Bennet.  Both candidates hold their parties well, and Buck wins a 6% edge among independents.  Among the “very enthusiastic,” though, Buck has a 14-point lead, 55/41.  In the gubernatorial race, John Hickenlooper holds a 4-point edge over Tom Tancredo, 47/43, but among the “very enthusiastic,” Tancredo leads 48/41.  Colorado should be an interesting race to watch on Tuesday night …. or more like Wednesday morning.

WASHINGTON: Incumbent Patty Murray just can’t shake Dino Rossi, and this one has plenty of enthusiasm on both sides.  Among likely voters, Murray leads by one point, 49/48.  But among “very enthusiastic” voters, Rossi leads 51/48.  Most of the votes in this race have already been cast, however, since most of Washington votes by mail.  Those who say that they have already voted give the edge to Rossi, 49/48.  We probably will have to wait until Thursday or Friday to know how this one ends.

Comments

Rossi, the man who makes it to the last base camp but never the peak.

rob verdi on October 30, 2010 at 5:49 PM

I hope Tuesday is everything that has been advertised. Still a bit queasy though.

Cindy Munford on October 30, 2010 at 5:49 PM

Palate cleanser, already?

bluemarlin on October 30, 2010 at 5:49 PM

I’m praying that socialist dunce Murray gets booted.

darwin on October 30, 2010 at 5:50 PM

Rossi, the man who makes it to the last base camp but never the peak.

rob verdi on October 30, 2010 at 5:49 PM

A close race sets the stage for what the democrats do best … steal elections.

darwin on October 30, 2010 at 5:51 PM

I just hope what I am expecting to happen, happens!

bluemarlin on October 30, 2010 at 5:52 PM

I’m praying that socialist dunce Murray gets booted.

darwin on October 30, 2010 at 5:50 PM

Isn`t she the one always sticking her tongue out when she speaks like a lizard or maybe more like a snake?

bluemarlin on October 30, 2010 at 5:53 PM

I did some GOTV calling today, and if the people I called are any indication, Toomey is heading for a pretty big win. Republican voters in PA are fired up! I also got five mailers for Republicans today. My husband, who is a registered Democrat, has gotten nothing from Sestak – no mail, no calls, nada.

I don’t think Obama’s repeated visits to Philly are going to do very much to drive turnout for Sestak or Onorato. Neither of them are very appealing to urban voters.

The NRSC came in with a killer TV ad this week calling Sestak “Status Quo Joe” – and the status quo in Pennsylvania stinks.

rockmom on October 30, 2010 at 5:54 PM

Washington is the one to watch. All those mail in ballots will start to magically appear in car trunks if Rossi starts to lead in the count.

Kini on October 30, 2010 at 5:54 PM

A tad O/T
==========

Oct. 29, 2010
Angle campaign bars Channel 8 from Election Day party

Staff alleges TV reporters ‘ambushed’ her at airport

canopfor on October 30, 2010 at 5:55 PM

I hope Christmas comes early this year.

El_Terrible on October 30, 2010 at 5:56 PM

Senator Dino has a nice ring to it. Almost as good as Senator Fred.

Teh Fred.

ladyingray on October 30, 2010 at 5:56 PM

I think the Republicans will all of them except Washington. They will just keep recounting and ‘discovering’ votes until Murray gets the nod.

sharrukin on October 30, 2010 at 5:58 PM

canopfor on October 30, 2010 at 5:55 PM

It’s Her Party and She’ll Ban Who She Wants To,
Ban Who She Wants To,
Ban Who She Wants To,
You would ban too if it happened to you,

Kini on October 30, 2010 at 5:59 PM

sharrukin on October 30, 2010 at 5:58 PM

Yep. :(

WitchDoctor on October 30, 2010 at 6:00 PM

What a miserable method, this voting by mail- a backwards child could figure out how to game that for a certain outcome in a close race.
This already reeks of Franken II.

jjshaka on October 30, 2010 at 6:00 PM

Marist released its latest polls for races in four states yesterday evening, and the news looks good for Republicans —perhaps most in Pennsylvania
==============================

Houston……..so far…..all systems go………..
accept fot the Category #5 Sh*t Hurricane!!

canopfor on October 30, 2010 at 6:01 PM

Having spent my career reading polls (marketing variety) at some point you must go with your gut.
My gut says any race close goes to the Republicans (cheating caveat)
The wave has yet to crest!

winston on October 30, 2010 at 6:02 PM

canopfor on October 30, 2010 at 5:55 PM
It’s Her Party and She’ll Ban Who She Wants To,
Ban Who She Wants To,
Ban Who She Wants To,
You would ban too if it happened to you,

Kini on October 30, 2010 at 5:59 PM

Kini:Hehe:)
=================

Ricky Nelson & Stone Canyon Band – Garden Party

canopfor on October 30, 2010 at 6:03 PM

If Rossi does get elected his first order of business needs to be seeing about the U.S. handing King County over to Canada, or the Puyallup Tribe or Ft. Lewis-McChord.

29Victor on October 30, 2010 at 6:03 PM

I hope Christmas comes early this year.

El_Terrible on October 30, 2010 at 5:56 PM

El_Terrible:True Dat!!
============================================================

Twelve Days ’til Voting (Christmas in November)

canopfor on October 30, 2010 at 6:05 PM

Rossi got my vote at least! I wasn’t aware that most of Washington votes by mail. Isn’t that Oregon?

Seixon on October 30, 2010 at 6:05 PM

That’s our problem. You have some really entrenched leftist high density areas that pretty much rule the state. King/Pierce counties and lots of boeing/public sector/teacher unions plus many tribes.

Unfortunately, it leads to lots of ronulan weirdos as a backlash. Being conservative here, but not crazy is a full time job ;)

WitchDoctor on October 30, 2010 at 6:07 PM

Garden Party

canopfor on October 30, 2010 at 6:03 PM

Wildwood flower

Taking a trip and never leaving the farm

Kini on October 30, 2010 at 6:08 PM

bluemarlin on October 30, 2010 at 5:53 PM

lol … I don’t know. Probably is her though.

darwin on October 30, 2010 at 6:12 PM

Sorry but I believe Markos at KOS would disagree with this poll! :P

People should swing over to KOS – for a taste of unadulterated delusion.

HondaV65 on October 30, 2010 at 6:13 PM

Seixon on October 30, 2010 at 6:05 PM

All of WA is mandatory vote by mail except for Pierce County. As someone who worked in group homes and nursing homes for fifteen years, it is nothing more than a promotion of voter fraud.

29Victor on October 30, 2010 at 6:14 PM

canopfor on October 30, 2010 at 6:03 PM
=========================
Wildwood flower

Taking a trip and never leaving the farm

Kini on October 30, 2010 at 6:08 PM

Kini:I heard that song before,but,I didn’t know
who sang it!:)

canopfor on October 30, 2010 at 6:19 PM

canopfor on October 30, 2010 at 6:19 PM

Jim Stafford

Kini on October 30, 2010 at 6:20 PM

WitchDoctor on October 30, 2010 at 6:07 PM

Hey, leave Pierce county out of this. It’s King an Thurston (or whatever that crappy little county that’s across the Narrows) counties that vote blue. King is full of students, professors, gov. employees and public housing.

Pierce is pretty good at voting right except for Norm, but he’s been around forever and they love him for bringing pork to the base.

29Victor on October 30, 2010 at 6:22 PM

canopfor on October 30, 2010 at 6:19 PM
===========
Jim Stafford

Kini on October 30, 2010 at 6:20 PM

Kini:)

canopfor on October 30, 2010 at 6:23 PM

lol … I don’t know. Probably is her though.

darwin on October 30, 2010 at 6:12 PM

Oops, I was thinking of Anita Dunn Mao Lover and Queen of the lizard people.

bluemarlin on October 30, 2010 at 6:33 PM

We as a nation need to get very very serious about voter fraud – it’s been treated as a joke for far too long.

Rebar on October 30, 2010 at 6:35 PM

Oops, I was thinking of Anita Dunn Mao Lover and Queen of the lizard people.

bluemarlin on October 30, 2010 at 6:33 PM

Yeah, I can see she’s definitely got some tongue action going on. Either some dormant reptilian gene becoming active or dry mouth. Maybe both.

darwin on October 30, 2010 at 6:43 PM

Rossi, the man who makes it to the last base camp but never the peak.

rob verdi on October 30, 2010 at 5:49 PM

Ironically most of the US’ finest professional mountaineers come from Washington State, and many of them are Democrats!

In other poll news, here in New Hampshire Kelly Ayotte has now opened a 15 point lead over her “opponent”, Paul Hodes. It’s clobbering time!

Del Dolemonte on October 30, 2010 at 7:05 PM

Sestak has to carry the Philadelphia suburbs, and that’s going to be hard. His old House district is going to the GOP. The only big name campaigning for Sestak here on the Main Line was Bill Clinton, and even then he went to Bryn Mawr College (where most of the students aren’t PA residents.)

(Biden showed up for Onorato. Supposed to be at Radnor High School until the school board found out. So they moved it to some hall in Wayne.)

Wethal on October 30, 2010 at 7:13 PM

Imagine the fun of Toomey’s first meeting with Arlen Specter after the election.

“Hi, Arlen I’ve come to talk about taking your job.”

Wethal on October 30, 2010 at 7:15 PM

Sharron Angle Hits Obama in Blistering New Ad

canopfor on October 30, 2010 at 7:15 PM

Let me tell you, I’m sweating these two elections in PA. I think both Toomey and Corbett appear to be fantastic conservative candidates — but they are SO boring.
I know, I know, eloquence gets us Obama, but a little life in them, like a Chris Christie, would be nice.

Scranton on October 30, 2010 at 7:53 PM

Sharron Angle Hits Obama in Blistering New Ad

canopfor on October 30, 2010 at 7:15 PM

KA-BLOOIE!

Me loves the sound of lib heads exploding.

GrannyDee on October 30, 2010 at 8:46 PM

My husband just dropped off our ballots in the dropbox. Go Dino!!! It will be HUGE if he wins, but I expect they will do the same as before and keep “recounting” until it goes to Murray. Dead people always seem to vote democrat. And I hate voting by mail. I just can’t be sure my vote gets counted.

StephC on October 30, 2010 at 9:08 PM

The “Ken Buck is dangerously radical” ads are all over the airwaves. Funny that the idiots at the dscc point to social security vanishing if Buck is elected. Somehow they did not get the memo that social security is losing more money than previously thought.
I’ve also been labelled a sexist pig, by a female coworker no less, because I am voting for Ken Buck.

jdkchem on October 30, 2010 at 11:52 PM

The biggest question remaining in this cycle is, “How many races will be close enough for Democrats to steal?”

Adjoran on October 31, 2010 at 5:20 AM

jdkchem on October 30, 2010 at 11:52 PM

Well. Liberal media says that WE ARE ALL RADICALS now.

I expect Bucks will get 100% vote. He’s extremely radical like me.

Radical – any man who loves America and believes in hard work and rule of law.

TheAlamos on October 31, 2010 at 5:42 AM