Fatwa-endorsing singer featured at “Restoring Sanity” rally?

posted at 4:52 pm on October 30, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

I tuned in to the “Restoring Sanity” rally on the National Mall today during the prep time before the NARN broadcast this afternoon, just in time to see “Peace Train” performed live — and I said to my radio partner Mitch Berg, “Did I just see Cat Stevens on stage for a rally claiming to restore sanity?”  As Aaron Worthing at Patterico and Ed Driscoll confirm, indeed I did, as did everyone else.  Mediate has the video of Yusuf Islam’s appearance, as well as a bit of his background:

The inclusion of Yusuf Islam in the Rally to Restore Sanity is sure to raise a number of eyebrows, given the controversy surrounding his alleged support of the fundamentalist Islamic fatwa against author Salman Rushdie. As Andy Levy tweeted “Rally To Restore Fatwas?” Yusuf has since asserted that he was simply joking and his comments were taken out of context. In the years that has followed, he has repeatedly denied ever calling for the death of Rushdie or supporting the fatwa.

You be the judge. In 1989, here’s Islam speaking on a panel discussing the fatwa issued against Salman Rushdie issued by Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini. Does this sound like an episode of a Bill Maher-type show?

Robertson: You don’t think that this man deserves to die?
Y. Islam: Who, Salman Rushdie?
Robertson: Yes.
Y. Islam: Yes, yes.
Robertson: And do you have a duty to be his executioner?
Y. Islam: Uh, no, not necessarily, unless we were in an Islamic state and I was ordered by a judge or by the authority to carry out such an act – perhaps, yes. ….

Robertson: Would you be part of that protest, Yusuf Islam, would you go to a demonstration where you knew that an effigy was going to be burned?
Y. Islam: I would have hoped that it’d be the real thing.

Later, the New York Times reported that Islam stood by those remarks (emphasis mine):

The musician known as Cat Stevens said in a British television program to be broadcast next week that rather than go to a demonstration to burn an effigy of the author Salman Rushdie, ”I would have hoped that it’d be the real thing.”

The singer, who adopted the name Yusuf Islam when he converted to Islam, made the remark during a panel discussion of British reactions to Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini’s call for Mr. Rushdie to be killed for allegedly blaspheming Islam in his best-selling novel ”The Satanic Verses.” He also said that if Mr. Rushdie turned up at his doorstep looking for help, ”I might ring somebody who might do more damage to him than he would like.”

”I’d try to phone the Ayatollah Khomeini and tell him exactly where this man is,” said Mr. Islam, who watched a preview of the program today and said in an interview that he stood by his comments.

In other words, he wasn’t joking at all — which he himself later confirmed. When confronted with a choice between freedom of speech and homicidal religious zealotry, Cat Stevens chose the latter.

What I find amazing about this is that two stars from Comedy Central would share the stage with a man who supported the idea of murdering an artist for his remarks on Islam. The producers of South Park got death threats from radical Muslims for attempting to depict an image of Muhammed in one of their recent episodes, and the executive management of Viacom forced them to censor the show in fear of Muslim reaction. Now, two of Viacom’s most recognizable television stars have linked themselves to a man who publicly endorsed that exact kind of threat — as a way to “restore sanity.”

Earlier, I guessed that the rally would just be a waste of time. Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert managed to turn it into a despicable, offensive embarrassment. Isn’t that … ironic?

Update: Salman Rushdie wasn’t fooled:

Cat Stevens wanted me dead

However much Cat Stevens/Yusuf Islam may wish to rewrite his past, he was neither misunderstood nor misquoted over his views on the Khomeini fatwa against The Satanic Verses (Seven, April 29). In an article in The New York Times on May 22, 1989, Craig R Whitney reported Stevens/Islam saying on a British television programme “that rather than go to a demonstration to burn an effigy of the author Salman Rushdie, ‘I would have hoped that it’d be the real thing’.”

He added that “if Mr Rushdie turned up at his doorstep looking for help, ‘I might ring somebody who might do more damage to him than he would like. I’d try to phone the Ayatollah Khomeini and tell him exactly where this man is’.”

In a subsequent interview with The New York Times, Mr Whitney added, Stevens/Islam, who had seen a preview of the programme, said that he “stood by his comments”.

Let’s have no more rubbish about how “green” and innocent this man was.

Salman Rushdie, New York

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Y. Islam: I would have hoped that it’d be the real thing.

“Religion of Peace” I tell ya’, “Religion of Peace”

Red State State of Mind on October 30, 2010 at 11:14 PM

Maybe Mr. Islam was representing the fear portion.

Mark Jaquith on October 30, 2010 at 7:12 PM

Heh.

They were afraid to say no to an Islamist.

Jaibones on October 30, 2010 at 11:16 PM

Liberalism is simply an evil philosophy.
scotash on October 30, 2010 at 6:22 PM

Not evil per se, but wholly misdirected – these people felt bullied as children because they couldn’t compete with the more deterministic among us, and so turned into the establishment the despised as a way to feel relevant and effect the idea that their feelings matter, but they completely miss the blatant fact that the competition they eschew is what gives them the power to behave as they do.

TinMan13 on October 30, 2010 at 11:18 PM

I admit that I didn’t read through the posts. Working nights puts a bit of a damper on things like that but at least I can thank God that I have a job.

To my point, which may have been raised already but as I said….

I couldn’t help noticing that John didn’t give a last name to Mr. Yusuf…….hmmmmm……what was he afraid of?

Vntnrse on October 30, 2010 at 11:26 PM

Hey just a thought. Did Stevens write and record “Moon Shadow” as a prelude to his “enlightenment”?
Just askin.

OkieDoc on October 30, 2010 at 11:46 PM

Ah, what’s a nice Jewish man like Jon Stewart and a fine Catholic man like Stephen Colbert doing hanging with an ex-hippie and current Muslim that endorsed a Fatwa? I think they should have changed the name of this rally from restoring sanity to reinforcing insanity

mizflame98 on October 30, 2010 at 11:59 PM

It’s how the musician is marketing himself.

dedalus on October 30, 2010 at 5:40 PM

Don’t believe everything you read in Wikipedia.

unclesmrgol on October 31, 2010 at 12:32 AM

I’d put Cat Stevens (whose I love) in the category of Muslims who innocently enable terrorism.

Paul-Cincy on October 31, 2010 at 12:36 AM

Don’t believe everything you read in Wikipedia.

unclesmrgol on October 31, 2010 at 12:32 AM

It appears to be the way his record company is marketing him based on his album covers. Seems more valid to criticize the singer for rebranding himself than Stewart for the intro.

dedalus on October 31, 2010 at 12:43 AM

Paul-Cincy on October 31, 2010 at 12:36 AM

Ummm:

Y. Islam: I would have hoped that it’d be the real thing.

Innocently?

Not so much, I think.

hillbillyjim on October 31, 2010 at 12:48 AM

How could this be?

I thought the left were all about “tolerance”, “harmony”, “unity”, “peace”, “understanding”, “multi-culturalism”, “human rights”, “freedom of speech”, “freedom of religion”, “civil rights”, and “social justice”.

DeathB4Tyranny on October 31, 2010 at 12:56 AM

Linked: “Insane: New York Times Sells False Meme of ‘Reasonable’ Stewart-Colbert Rally”.

Donald Douglas on October 31, 2010 at 12:49 AM

Hell, a local news website affiliated with a local paper & TV station had a summary, from AP if I remember correctly, of the event posted before it had gotten under way.

This type of BS from the MSM is how we got in this mess in the first place.

Tuesday’s going to be a wake-up call slap in the face for many of these water-carrying stooges.

hillbillyjim on October 31, 2010 at 12:58 AM

I should have noted more clearly that the post was in the past tense describing the affair before it had happened.

hillbillyjim on October 31, 2010 at 1:02 AM

From Jim Treacher’s live blog:

1:12: Colbert just made a book-burning joke. For all you moderates out there.

Just a few minutes before Jon Stewart introduced a guy who wanted to see someone MURDERED for writing a book.

Rally to Restore Irony.

KarenT on October 31, 2010 at 1:07 AM

I’m no fan of Islam – I think the Koran is a cheap counterfeit of the Bible, and Mohammed was a sword wielding opportunist with a strong libido. He was not much different form Joseph Smith.

However, I am not as critical of Yusuf Islam aka Cat Stephens as some on this forum. I’ve listened to his subsequent interviews where he says he was new to Islam and thrust into the spotlight as a spokesman when the Rushdie issue surfaced. I think we would hear much different answers today if the same interview took place again.

In my view Yusuf Islam is mainly a poet and musician and simply does not want to get involved in religious or political squabbles. He just wants us to come together on the Peace Train – lol. Perhaps he will realize that just ain’t gonna happen.

I’m just glad he picked up his guitar after 20 years at the urging of his son and started playing music again.

Texas Mike on October 31, 2010 at 1:48 AM

1988… “The Jews seem neither to respect God nor his creation. Their own holy books contain the curse of God brought upon them by their prophets on account of their disobedience to Him and mischief in the earth. We have seen the disrespect for religion displayed by those who consider themselves to be ‘God’s chosen people.’”

1996… “I am a citizen of this country not by choice but by birth. I reside in this country not by choice but by conviction in attempting to spread the message of Islam in this country. I became Muslim in part because I did not believe in the false gods of this society whether we call them Jesus or democracy or the Bill of Rights or any other element of this society that is held sacrosanct by the ill-informed peoples that make up this charade of a society.

sharrukin on October 31, 2010 at 3:51 AM

Simply another example of the lefts willingness to submit and lick the boots of their overlords.

Viper1 on October 31, 2010 at 5:59 AM

Petraeus is a fool who thinks Muslims can be modernized. He doesn’t seem to grasp that Islam is not just a mean form of Christianity. Not all religions are the same any more than all ideologies are the same.

This is a common misunderstanding among those in the west who have been raised in an environment where religious belief is a quaint, but not terribly important part of life. Islam is more like communist in that it is a totality of beliefs that encompasses most aspects of a persons life.

Nation building is pointless with Muslims because they aren’t nationalists. The Ummah is a more significant concept with Muslims. They are Muslims first and citizens second.

War with Islam is possible, but it will be on their terms not ours. We are not going to convert them to liberal western ideology.

sharrukin on October 30, 2010 at 11:08 PM

By that rationale we are left then in a 9-10 dynamic where Islam is unchangeable by any combination of military, diplomatic, economic, or cultural efforts. In a world where box cutters can bring down buildings that seems untenable.

dedalus on October 31, 2010 at 6:45 AM

Watched this video and it pretty much is the stupidest thing I’ver ever seen. Colbert and Stewart were about as funny as herpes. As usual………

adamsmith on October 31, 2010 at 7:27 AM

As Cato might have saidÖ
Ceterum autem censeo, Islaminem esse delendam
or, in the shortened, more popular version,
Islam delenda est.

Put in whichever Islam you prefer (or both).

Annar on October 31, 2010 at 7:27 AM

sharrukin on October 30, 2010 at 11:08 PM

This is what too many Americans fail to understand. Islam is not just a religion; it is also a political, social, and legal system that has values that are directly and irrevocably in conflict with our own.

To cite just a few examples: Islam considers women and non-Muslims to be inferior. It prohibits lenders from charging interest on loans. It condones lying under oath. It forbids the expression of any type of speech against Allah or Muhammad, on pain of death. It compels the execution of apostates.

If we continue to allow millions of Muslims to immigrate to the U.S., how are we going to allow them the free exercise of their “religion” when that religion requires them to behave in ways that violate our laws and our societal norms and values?

We need to face this issue, and discuss it openly and honestly, before it’s too late.

AZCoyote on October 31, 2010 at 7:59 AM

Only reason Steven’s answer would be different today is because he has a better understanding of taqiyya. He hasn’t changed.

lowandslow on October 31, 2010 at 8:16 AM

Over at Pajamas Media, Roger L. Simon has a scathing commentary on the selection of Cat Stevens as performer du jour. Two takeaway paragraphs:

So what’s up with Stewart and Colbert? Why would they have a man like that singing at their event? Is this PC cultural relativism gone berserk? (“Hey, dude, it’s cool. Yusuf’s into the fatwa thing, you dig? He loves Khomeini just like Foucault did. All cultures are equal, you know. Who are we to judge?”) If that’s so, why not invite Khalid Sheik Mohammed to perform? He actually took the head off Daniel Pearl. He didn’t just talk the talk. He walked the walk.

But I think there’s another explanation for Islam’s appearance and it’s much simpler: Stewart and Colbert are dumb and uniformed. Although they pretend to be more, they are just mildly talented entertainers with the depth of a petri dish who rely on their writers to stoke them with material and ideas. And no one told them Cat Stevens supported killing a fellow artist merely for exercising free expression. And unlike many of you, they simply didn’t know themselves. They thought he was, you know, just a peaceful ex-hippie dude who went Islamic spiritual instead of zen. (Okay, that irritated some people, but so what? It would be nice to see them squirm.)

onlineanalyst on October 31, 2010 at 9:15 AM

This country was not founded by Mohammedians. Mohammed did not endow us with our inalienable rights.

kingsjester on October 31, 2010 at 9:48 AM

I’m no fan of Islam – I think the Koran is a cheap counterfeit of the Bible, and Mohammed was a sword wielding opportunist with a strong libido. He was not much different form Joseph Smith…
Texas Mike on October 31, 2010 at 1:48 AM

Joseph Smith didn’t call for the death of anyone who didn’t follow the Book of Mormon or who didn’t convert to Latter-Day Saints. That makes a HUGE difference between him and Muhammad.
PS:
Is there a reason why you had to throw in a dig @ Latter-Day Saints? It’s just as bad as Chris Matthews or Keith Olbermann throwing in a dig at Sarah Palin when talking about a subject that has no relation to her.

mizflame98 on October 31, 2010 at 9:49 AM

sharrukin on October 30, 2010 at 11:08 PM

Actually, they embraced the Nazis.

mizflame98 on October 31, 2010 at 9:52 AM

I used to like Cat Stevens when he wrote songs like “Peace Train” but then he converted to Islam and he became another person. That he was invited to this gathering says everything.

SC.Charlie on October 31, 2010 at 9:53 AM

Yes, kill those who disagree with you. That’s real sanity, Jon Stewart. (And these people wonder why they’re losing so badly).

WarEagle01 on October 31, 2010 at 10:03 AM

this weasel [al-dikbag in Arabic].

Oh my! Di*kbag just became my new favorite cussword.

Comedy Central threw Trey Parker and Matt Stone under a bus for Islam. With Cat Yusuf Islam on stage, it pretty much seals it for me – Comedy Central is a bunch of politically correct puss*es who will give up the US faster than frogs if the jihadis get organized.

ace tomato on October 31, 2010 at 10:39 AM

dedalus on October 31, 2010 at 6:45 AM

Well reality can be scary, but it is rarely untenable.

Military efforts have thrown back the Muslim advance as was demonstrated in Spain during the reconquest, during the Crusades, and in the Balkans when the Ottomans were driven out. Cultural and diplomatic efforts I grant you have resulted in nothing. Bribing them works for very short periods of time.

Actually, they embraced the Nazis.

mizflame98 on October 31, 2010 at 9:52 AM

Yes they did and with a great deal of enthusiasm.

The 13th Waffen Mountain Division of the SS Handschar [Bosnian Muslims] was formed as well as the 21st SS Division Skanderbeg (Albanische Nr. 1) [Albanians].

The Mufti of Jerusalem helped in recruiting them and he later joined in the Jihad against Israel in 1948. He also helped recruit 70,000 Turkestani volunteers who served in 26 battalions and the 162.Turkestanisch Infanterie Division.

The Crimean Tartars supplied 20,000 serving in Schuma (security) battalions and later for a short time in the Waffen-Gebirgs-Brigade der-SS (Tatarische Nr.1).

The 1.Ostmuslemanische SS-Regiment was also formed with the intention of expanding to a division. This unit was attached to the notoriously vicious SS Dirlewanger Brigade, where they were participated in brutal actions that killed 200,000 Polish civilians.

sharrukin on October 31, 2010 at 11:39 AM

I’d put Cat Stevens (whose music[sic] I love) in the category of Muslims who innocently enable terrorism.

Paul-Cincy on October 31, 2010 at 12:36 AM

Hate to pop your love bubble there, buddy, but he knows exactly what he’s doing.
Remember when he couldn’t fly into the U.S. because he was on a terrorist watch list?

Virtually all Muslims “innocently enable” what you call “terrorism” and what they call jihad just be being Muslim.
Jihad is a religious duty of Muslims and is clearly stated to be such in the Koran.

Jenfidel on October 31, 2010 at 11:44 AM

Actually, they embraced the Nazis.

mizflame98 on October 31, 2010 at 9:52 AM

Yep, who were National Socialists…and now they’ve embraced the Communist Left all over the world, but especially in Russia.

Jenfidel on October 31, 2010 at 11:46 AM

dedalus on October 31, 2010 at 6:45 AM

By my reckoning, Islam will eventually have to be banned all over the world…it may take decades, but in the end, it is what will have to be done.
Given the fact that jihad and the forced conversion of infidels or their death is integral doctrine to their faith death cult, Islam is, indeed, “unchangeable.”
And anyone who says they’re a “moderate” Muslim who is against jihad is either lying (taqiya) or doing it wrong.

Jenfidel on October 31, 2010 at 11:51 AM

Fatwa-endorsing singer featured at “Restoring Sanity” rally?

I question the use of ? instead of !!!!!!!

Basilsbest on October 31, 2010 at 12:26 PM

He was not much different form Joseph Smith

I’m not a Mormon but to say Mohammed was not much different from Joseph Smith betrays the kind of idiocy we see every day from the cultural relativists.

Basilsbest on October 31, 2010 at 12:30 PM

sharrukin on October 31, 2010 at 11:39 AM

The world has gotten smaller since then, and the cost of killing large numbers of people has become quite small. In a pitched battle we’d have no problem, but that isn’t the threat we face.

Curbing immigration and assimilating the populations here and in Europe is part of the solution. Islam has less to offer a young person, especially women, than Western culture. We should be confident enough to believe that they are likely to change more than we are in an exchange of ideas.

dedalus on October 31, 2010 at 1:03 PM

Jenfidel on October 31, 2010 at 11:51 AM

I wouldn’t miss them. However, the process of banning religions doesn’t eliminate them and can strengthen their resolve.

dedalus on October 31, 2010 at 1:09 PM

dedalus on October 31, 2010 at 1:09 PM

It’s worked pretty well with Satanism and their live sacrifice of babies/virgins/whatever.

Jenfidel on October 31, 2010 at 1:17 PM

the process of banning religions

dedalus on October 31, 2010 at 1:09 PM

It’s not a religion: it’s a death cult.
And by the way,their resolve was strengthened by 9/11 and other successful jihadi attacks like the Intifada.
Their resolve is strengthened by killing “infidels,” not the mythical blowback of cracking down on them.
See the post-American invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan for reference.
Spilling blood strengthens their resolve, not getting shut down.

Jenfidel on October 31, 2010 at 1:20 PM

dedalus on October 31, 2010 at 1:03 PM

Their isn’t going to be an exchange of ideas. You keep thinking that this is some sort of twelve step program. We are not going to be the ones who set the agenda and we have seen how this works with ‘The Road to Peace’ and with the now constant Muslim terrorism. Sharia law is now being adopted, or considered in many western countries as is Sharia finance. Western law has in many cases ignored what Muslim minorities do among themselves and work to curb freedom of expression in the greater community. The cartoon crisis is a case in point.

They will take and you will give.

You seem unable to consider the problem from their point of view. They are winning, so why would they compromise and on what part of the totality that is the Koranic system do you think they will give? Do you think they will let some western lawyers carve up the Koran to make it into a nice version that is acceptable to western thought?

The Magna Carta and the Renaissance are not new things, and ‘The Rights Of Man’ has been on the table for some time. Islam has been there all along and we actually occupied their countries for some time. They know! They have heard about this cool new idea called human rights which has been around for a few centuries. It hasn’t changed a thing, and yet here comes Captain Shazam in a bolt of lightning to tell the Muslims how great things will be if they just get with the program?

Islam is not militarily strong, but it is strong in willpower and when all is said and done that is what counts. Wars are won in the will. Ask the Vietnamese about that. All the scary weapons in the world are meaningless unless you have the confidence to use them. We lack faith in the worth of our own society, our religion, our culture and our future. They don’t.

There isn’t going to be a pitched battle. They aren’t stupid, and they will come at us in a way that maximizes their advantages and plays to our weakness. Terrorism and social demands contingent on that terrorism have brought them a great deal of power and influence. They will use immigration and the Muslim birthrate to displace and eventually convert the west. First by covert pressure in the form of riots and terror, and latter when they and their leftist facilitators have power, through overt pressure through the levers of government. Lastly they will use conversion by violence.

Talk isn’t going to cut the mustard.

sharrukin on October 31, 2010 at 1:36 PM

Read it and weep. The only way for America to survive Islamic Imperialism is to limit immigration and return to its Christian roots so that when Europe falls America still has the strength to resist.

Basilsbest on October 31, 2010 at 1:58 PM

I wish someone would remove the ? from the headline. It is inaccurate and makes Ed look like a squish.

Basilsbest on October 31, 2010 at 2:04 PM

“Hey just a thought. Did Stevens write and record “Moon Shadow” as a prelude to his ‘enlightenment?’”

Great point OkieDoc! The lyrics include “If I ever lose my hands…if I ever loose my eyes…if I ever loose my legs,” etc. Sharia, anyone?.

As to Cat’s present denial, don’t forget taqiyya.

drewas on October 31, 2010 at 3:09 PM

sharrukin on October 31, 2010 at 1:36 PM

Vietnam has a stock exchange and a US traded ETF. They along with their communist sponsors in Russia and China have ditched communism for some level of a market economy. It wasn’t a twelve-step program or military showdown that led to the transition but the aspiration of the people, not for the Magna Carta, but for consumer goods.

Muslims in the West will find that education and economic prosperity is incompatible with aspects of their culture. It may take them longer, but the pressures will be the same as those on other immigrant groups–most of which were viewed as incompatible with the US culture of the time.

dedalus on October 31, 2010 at 3:29 PM

I think Islam’s remarks about Rushdie were unequivocally wrong and I’d like to think he now regrets them.
That said, no one has anything to fear personally from him, and it was great to hear him sing “Peace Train” again.

chumpThreads on October 31, 2010 at 3:42 PM

Well, I was going to respond and post a discussion on Joseph Smith versus Mohammed, but since its way off the subject, I won’t do that unless someone is interested.

Yusuf Islam converted to Islam in southern California back in the 70′s after a near death experience. Too bad some Christians did not share the liberating gospel to him before bondage of Islam was shared with him.

However, I believe Yusuf is losing some of his hard-nose zeal for Islam while recovering his love for music and performance.

Texas Mike on October 31, 2010 at 6:27 PM

The Boy with the Moon and Star on his Head.

A gardener’s daughter stopped me on my way, on the day I was
to wed.
“It is you who I wish to share my body with”, she said.
“We’ll find a dry place under the sky with a flower for a bed.
And for my joy, I will give you a boy with a moon and
star on his head.”
Her silver hair flowed in the air, laying waves across the sun.
Her hands were like the white sands, and her eyes had
diamonds on.
We left the road and headed up to the top of the
Whisper Wood.
And we walked ’till we came to where the holy magnolia stood.
And there we laid cool in the shade singing songs and
making love…
With the naked earth beneath us and the universe above.
The time was late, my wedding wouldn’t wait; I was sad but
I had to go.
So while she was asleep, I kissed her cheek for cheerio.
The wedding took place and people came from many
miles around.
There was plenty merriment, cider and wine did abound.
But out of all that I recall, I remembered the girl I met.
‘Cause she had given me something that my heart could not
forget.
A year had passed and everything was just as it was a year
before…
As if it were a year before…
Until the gift that someone left, a basket by my door.
And in there lay the fairest little baby crying to be fed;
I got down on my knees and kissed the moon and star on
his head.
As years went by the boy grew high and the village looked
on in awe.
They’d never seen anything like the boy with the moon and
star before.
And people would ride from far and wide just to seek the
word he spread.
I’ll tell you everything I’ve learned, and Love is all…he said.
~
~
~
Cat Stevens associated the moon and star with fornication and alcohol. Jus sayin.

Akzed on October 31, 2010 at 9:16 PM

So now Yusef Islam is trying to make the demonstrably false claim that he was “joking” about supporting the fatwa on Rushdie.

It seems that opponents of Western civilization, be they leftist, Islamic, or otherwise, always seem to portray themselves as truth-tellers confronting a decadent civilization founded on lies and treachery. Doesn’t seem ironic that these truth-telling crusaders must so often resort to lies and treachery to advance their cause?

dkmonroe on October 31, 2010 at 10:07 PM

If one looks at the entire event as satire and sarcasm on current affairs then having “Cat Stevens”/Yusef Islam on the show was part of the joke…it was to portray that he is also a joke, a phoney, a fraud. Like some Mel Brooks comedy satire movie portraying a farcical, but stereotypical Jew loves Muslim scene.

albill on November 1, 2010 at 6:59 AM

Not that it excuses this mind dead Yusuf Islam but he had to endorse this murder fatwa to stay a true Muslim. This is because Islam has always demanded death for apostates, as commanded by Muhammad himself according to his Muslim biographers. Muhammad, according to the absurd-in-so-many-ways Qu’ran, is the perfect man and the prime example who must be obeyed (Sura 4:64, 4:80, etc). Muhammad himself announced these many Koranic revelations about his wonderfulness many times. Critics who disagreed he had assassinated. Read the extremely violent biography of this man based on quoted Muslim sources (See Robert Spencer or Ali Sina) and you ‘ll see for yourself how insane Yusuf and Islam really are.

Chessplayer on November 1, 2010 at 12:13 PM

He wants to murder someone for telling the truth and then he has the nerve to sing “Peace Train” ???????

LODGE4 on November 1, 2010 at 12:13 PM

When will anyone be “Restoring Sanity” to Cat Stevens?

Too much crack and pot, Cat Stevens is a crackpot. A true American tragedy.

In the distant past, he was “lookin’ for a hard-headed woman”–may I suggest Lisa Murkowski on a blind date?

In 1980, Ronald Reagan said it was “Morning in America”.

Morning has broken.