Time mag: Dem committee heads may follow Pelosi and retire after vote

posted at 8:16 pm on October 29, 2010 by Allahpundit

Via JWF, my sense/hope is that conservative enthusiasm is already as high as it can go. But in case you’re bummed that most of the wizened Democratic leadership comes from monolithically blue districts that makes them impossible to unseat, rest assured that there is in fact a way to knock them off next week.

Break their spirits.

Other Democrats are sure to follow Pelosi out of the Capitol. After the GOP lost the House in 2006, 27 Republicans called it quits. But in the case of Pelosi’s Democratic cloakroom, the exodus could be deeper: five of the 20 current committee chairmen are her allies from California. Without their champion, some veterans such as Education and Labor Committee chairman George Miller, who has been in Congress since 1975, may be inclined to leave. Even if they don’t head for the exits, they might choose to abandon their gavels: Standards Committee chair Zoe Lofgren, also of California, is serving at Pelosi’s request and has made no secret of her distaste at being her colleagues’ ethical watchdog.

Others are older — Rules Committee chair Louise Slaughter and Judiciary Committee chairman John Conyers, both 81, know that life in the minority holds less appeal for octogenarians. And, in any case, it might be time for some fresh blood. The average age of Democratic House chairs is nearly 70, while top Republicans are, on average, a decade younger — thanks, in part, to the 2006 spate of retirements. Democratic chairs have spent an average of 13.5 terms, or 27 years, in office, compared to Republicans who average 9.5 terms, or 19 years, in office…

For many of the old bulls who survived a dozen years in the minority to get their chance to govern, a return to second-class citizenship is unappealing. A spate of rank-and-file retirements is likely, giving Republicans an extra advantage Dems enjoyed in 2008: dozens of open seats in districts that haven’t been vacant for decades. This could set the GOP up for more gains in 2012, though President Obama will be on the ticket next time around.

In other words, deliver a 60-seat pick-up on Tuesday and you’ll get a shot at turning it into a 75-seat pick-up a few months from now. Is that good enough, or did you need even more incentive?

Via RCP, this is the best I can do, guys. If watching this doesn’t make you want to vote Republican, nothing will.

Comments

Time mag: Dem committee heads may follow Pelosi and retire after vote

Don’t tease me that way.

mizflame98 on October 29, 2010 at 8:18 PM

If this happens, what happens to their seats? Special election?

El_Terrible on October 29, 2010 at 8:18 PM

What do they mean ‘retire’? Serve two more years and then not run again? Do as much damage to the country as possible and then flee the country? How much money do they have in Swiss bank accounts?

Skandia Recluse on October 29, 2010 at 8:19 PM

Oh my now I have to find something to clean my screen off with. That was the funniest thing I’ve seen in a long time.

gophergirl on October 29, 2010 at 8:19 PM

nice start to the weekend…thanks allah :)

cmsinaz on October 29, 2010 at 8:19 PM

Until the name of his website showed up on the screen, I honestly thought it was a parody.

Emily M. on October 29, 2010 at 8:20 PM

I would give up a loss to Boxer and Barney Frak if it meant Grayson was gone

William Amos on October 29, 2010 at 8:20 PM

Special election?

El_Terrible on October 29, 2010 at 8:18 PM

Yep. House seats cannot be appointed.

lorien1973 on October 29, 2010 at 8:20 PM

Emily M. on October 29, 2010 at 8:20 PM

LOL. Me too.

lorien1973 on October 29, 2010 at 8:20 PM

That should read Barney FRANK

William Amos on October 29, 2010 at 8:21 PM

LOL
LOL-Saur

blatantblue on October 29, 2010 at 8:21 PM

Barney Frak

Freudian slip. :P

lorien1973 on October 29, 2010 at 8:22 PM

I heard this today.

We cannot be satisfied with demoralizing the democrats,
they must be destroyed

Kini on October 29, 2010 at 8:22 PM

Dedication to Grayson!
===========================

Abba – Waterloo

canopfor on October 29, 2010 at 8:23 PM

Bunch of sore losers. Runnin’ away, eh? You yellow bastards! Come back ‘ere and take what’s comin’ to ya! We’ll bite your legs off!

Kafir on October 29, 2010 at 8:23 PM

Barney Frak
Freudian slip. :P

lorien1973 on October 29, 2010 at 8:22 PM

Censor wouldnt let me use Barney F#ckup.

William Amos on October 29, 2010 at 8:23 PM

That’s quite possibly one of the stupidest campaign ads I’ve ever seen. I thought it was a joke.

MadisonConservative on October 29, 2010 at 8:24 PM

None of this will happen if the wave crests too early.

Everybody needs to contact as many people as possible to vote on Nov. 2nd.

tetriskid on October 29, 2010 at 8:24 PM

My elephant’s trunk just straightened out just reading this posting. I think I’d better pack some extra underpants for election night.

madmonkphotog on October 29, 2010 at 8:24 PM

Great news! Now plans for Criminal and Civil
prosecution can ensue.

OkieDoc on October 29, 2010 at 8:26 PM

What was that website, CongressmanWithGutsButNoBrains.com?

itsnotaboutme on October 29, 2010 at 8:26 PM

I just can’t bring myself to watch Olbermann and Dick Grayson.

JammieWearingFool on October 29, 2010 at 8:26 PM

Maybe John Kerry can explain Greyson’s mind loss

Kini on October 29, 2010 at 8:26 PM

Drain the swamp! Oh yeah

Rovin on October 29, 2010 at 8:27 PM

Fat Eddies head is going to explode come Wednesday. Maybe he can spend a month or two ranting about how Webster stole the election.

PetecminMd on October 29, 2010 at 8:27 PM

Dem committee heads may follow Pelosi and retire after vote

I hope that is a promise not just a threat.

whbates on October 29, 2010 at 8:28 PM

It just dawned on me. I know why the Dems and Trial Lawyers are thick as thieves. They make money off each other as defendants!

OkieDoc on October 29, 2010 at 8:28 PM

To see them driven before you.

29Victor on October 29, 2010 at 8:29 PM

Drinking game…. 1 shot for every dem loss… Oh god am I going to hate Wednesday….but with a smile…

mailmars on October 29, 2010 at 8:32 PM

That should read Barney FRANK

William Amos on October 29, 2010 at 8:21 PM

The first one was just frakking fine!

bluemarlin on October 29, 2010 at 8:33 PM

They have ruled against the will of the people. And soon they will be crushed. Yup, time now for them to take their suicide pills.

petefrt on October 29, 2010 at 8:33 PM

I would give up a loss to Boxer and Barney Frak if it meant Grayson was gone

William Amos on October 29, 2010 at 8:20 PM

You’ve got to be kidding Will? A loss to Boxer would be worth two Fraks and baby grizzly.

Rovin on October 29, 2010 at 8:33 PM

Rats…ships. Heh!

Dingbat63 on October 29, 2010 at 8:33 PM

Dem committee heads may follow Pelosi

What is this, a Halloween gag? The heads will follow her? Without their bodies? Sleepy Hollow, anyone? Where will those disembodied heads follow her to? The cemetary at midnight to wait for the Great Obamakin to arise?

But, wait. There’s more. The rest of the “head”line is:

Dem committee heads may follow Pelosi and retire after vote

Alright, so then, after the disembodied heads are done tailing Pelosi and voting, they go to bed until needed next Halloween? What am I missing here?

FlameWarrior on October 29, 2010 at 8:34 PM

Grayson’s commercial reminded me of that creepy montage in The Parallax View.

aquaviva on October 29, 2010 at 8:34 PM

congressmanwhosenuts.com

Elizabetty on October 29, 2010 at 8:34 PM

None of this will happen if the wave crests too early.

tetriskid on October 29, 2010 at 8:24 PM

Don’t worry, tetris. The wave is cresting right now, right on time. And it’s going to come crashing down on Tuesday, right on schedule. And it’s going to wash away a good portion of the flotsam and jetsam that has been sullying our beautiful country.

IrishEi on October 29, 2010 at 8:35 PM

If this happens, what happens to their seats?

Burn ‘em. Just to be safe.

Cicero43 on October 29, 2010 at 8:35 PM

I would love for the old leadership to go away, they are the most rabid lefties in DC! I am thinking I would love the GOP old leadership to go away as well as they like the old ways that got us to where we are today.

bluemarlin on October 29, 2010 at 8:35 PM

I just can’t bring myself to watch Olbermann and Dick Grayson.

JammieWearingFool on October 29, 2010 at 8:26 PM

No, you have to watch the video. Really. It’s unbelievable, and it isn’t really an interview. Olbermann says four or five words, Grayson says 6 or 7. It’s an apparently REAL campaign ad. Seriously, watch it.

strictnein on October 29, 2010 at 8:36 PM

If only Nancy would of picked up her broom,It just
might take a Women to clean the House,and took care
of her Partys corruption!!

canopfor on October 29, 2010 at 8:36 PM

The GOP should hire the Salahi`s for security detail to plug all the ways these power nuts might try and sneak back in, they seem to have a nose for these things!

bluemarlin on October 29, 2010 at 8:39 PM

So it`s “I`m taking my ball and I`m going home!” for these jokers?

ThePrez on October 29, 2010 at 8:39 PM

Seriously, watch it.

strictnein on October 29, 2010 at 8:36 PM

I actually made it to the end before I choked, laughing.
Thanks for that, since I couldn’t have stomached an exchange.

OkieDoc on October 29, 2010 at 8:40 PM

If this won’t rally undecided voters, I don’t know what will :/

FontanaConservative on October 29, 2010 at 8:42 PM

Grayson is, to me, the real douche bag version of Michael Scott

blatantblue on October 29, 2010 at 8:43 PM

I would give up a loss to Boxer and Barney Frak if it meant Grayson was gone

William Amos on October 29, 2010 at 8:20 PM

Ridiculous. Outside of a vote, he has ZERO power or influence in DC. Boxer would reach her hand into your pension plan and take half to combat global warning and Bwawney would want the other half to pay for mortgages for people who want a second one after they defaulted on the first. Don’t like Grayson? Stay away from MSNBC.

Marcus on October 29, 2010 at 8:46 PM

yes, I WILL have ice cream on my cake…and some whipped cream too…and a cherry!!!

Tuesday can’t come soon enough!

Justrand on October 29, 2010 at 8:46 PM

Guess it wasn’t about the people at all, huh boys? All about the gavels.

Jim-Rose on October 29, 2010 at 8:51 PM

Just the possibility of this occurring is setting Humpbots off in my head!

barnone on October 29, 2010 at 8:53 PM

I would give up a loss to Boxer and Barney Frak if it meant Grayson was gone

William Amos on October 29, 2010 at 8:20 PM

I wouldn’t!

CCRWM on October 29, 2010 at 8:56 PM

I don’t remember anybody ever resigning before. Yes, they may not run in the next election, but is there some historical background to all these predictions?

Blake on October 29, 2010 at 8:56 PM

They have stolen all they need…

Wade on October 29, 2010 at 8:58 PM

I would give up a loss to Boxer and Barney Frak if it meant Grayson was gone

William Amos on October 29, 2010 at 8:20 PM

Have you lost your mind?

Wade on October 29, 2010 at 8:59 PM

Now that they have destroyed the current system of government, they will simply move into the new structure they created in the bills they passed.

The global system will need new ‘committee’ chairs. The US congress will be unnecessary and noting more than window dressing.

katy on October 29, 2010 at 9:04 PM

They have stolen all they need…

Wade on October 29, 2010 at 8:58 PM

We’ll get it back!

CCRWM on October 29, 2010 at 9:05 PM

That ad is HILARIOUS!!

lizzie beth on October 29, 2010 at 9:05 PM

From their mouths to God’s ears!!!!

katy the mean old lady on October 29, 2010 at 9:06 PM

The reason? You can’t do an ethics investigation on someone who is no longer in congress!

kurtzz3 on October 29, 2010 at 9:10 PM

What was that saying about when the going gets tough? And they criticized Sarah Palin for quitting?
They don’t understand the word “service” I guess.

redshirt on October 29, 2010 at 9:12 PM

I doubt we could take any or many of these seats. But having these seats open up could set up some costly and divisive primaries, especially when identity politics comes into play.

BuzzCrutcher on October 29, 2010 at 9:12 PM

I already wanted to vote Republican; this made me want to throw up.

Dopenstrange on October 29, 2010 at 9:25 PM

And don’t let the door hit your backside on the way out! SLAM!!!

capejasmine on October 29, 2010 at 9:29 PM

So if they do retire, they are still going to cost this country more . . . not only their lavish retirement plans but the price of holding special elections.

Marybeth on October 29, 2010 at 9:29 PM

Kafir on October 29, 2010 at 8:23 PM

Love it!

txmomof6 on October 29, 2010 at 9:41 PM

Losers

GarandFan on October 29, 2010 at 9:48 PM

Even in the minority, it’s a helluva nice life… nobody just gives up perks over such a minor thing.

mankai on October 29, 2010 at 9:53 PM

This would make a great ad for anyone still on the fence who likes their own Congressman, but hates Pelosi et al. I know that can’t be many, but hey it might make the difference to a disgruntled conservative Dem who hates the thought of voting for a Republican without a very good reason.

txmomof6 on October 29, 2010 at 9:58 PM

They age getting out of dodge one step ahead of the subpoenas they so deserve.

ndanielson on October 29, 2010 at 10:05 PM

They are

ndanielson on October 29, 2010 at 10:09 PM

So it`s “I`m taking my ball and I`m going home!” for these jokers?

ThePrez on October 29, 2010 at 8:39 PM

My first thought was that they would do this to avoid investigation.

Can Senators and Congresspersons avoid an investigation if they resign/retire? I keep thinking this was a topic of discussion in the past few years and that I read this somewhere. It would certainly explain why they would be dropping out like flies.

BruthaMan on October 29, 2010 at 10:10 PM

To see them driven before you.

29Victor on October 29, 2010 at 8:29 PM

And hear the lamentations of their women Bawney Fwank……..

Oldnuke on October 29, 2010 at 10:27 PM

Wait – the case being made here is that some Dems, who WIN this election will be retiring before their term in office takes effect? WTF?

That doesn’t sound right – I can see them leaving in 2012 – but right after winning an election on Tuesday?

HondaV65 on October 29, 2010 at 10:28 PM

Have you lost your mind?

Wade on October 29, 2010 at 8:59 PM

Xalifornia is still too blue and so is Mass. I dont expect wins there.

In any case the house is going to the GOP so Barney Frank is not going to be in any postion of power.

As for Boxer Im not sure Meg Wittman is any step better.

William Amos on October 29, 2010 at 10:46 PM

If someone made a movie and told the story of how a political party disintegrated after bowling over all opposition two years previous who would have believed it?

Herb on October 29, 2010 at 10:54 PM

But remember, SARAH PALIN IS A QUITTER! QUITTER! QUITTER! Eleventy!!!11!!1!

inviolet on October 29, 2010 at 11:02 PM

If watching this doesn’t make you want to vote Republican, nothing will.

I don’t even need to watch the video. There is something so totally creepy about that guy that just seeing his picture makes the hair on my neck stand up.

crosspatch on October 30, 2010 at 1:12 AM

Why wait for a Special Election? Let’s get this House cleaning done on Tuesday!

Rick Tubbs is the Republican candidate who is running against Democrat Rep. George Miller in California’s 7th Congressional District.

Rick has been running a very strong campaign, which has forced George Miller to campaign for the first time in years! Check out his web site to see Rick Tubbs absolutely cream Rep. Miller in their debate.

Dan Sahagun is the Republican candidate who is running against Democrat Rep. Zoe Lofgren in California’s 16th District. I hear Dan’s ads quite frequently on the radio.

If you are in New York, please give us an update on the campaign against Rep. Louise Slaughter.

If you are in Michigan please give us an update on the campaign against Rep. John Conyers.

There is no time like the present to give Congress a long overdue upgrade!

wren on October 30, 2010 at 2:24 AM

That was an ad FOR Grayson? Cause I blame him and his party for all of that stuff. If we like the bailouts we should vote for Grayson?

I’m tired. My brain is too fuzzy to understand that. It’s late, I’m waiting for my daughter to get home before midnight… five more minutes.

petunia on October 30, 2010 at 2:56 AM

As for Boxer Im not sure Meg Wittman is any step better.

William Amos on October 29, 2010 at 10:46 PM

Whitman is running for Governor not Senator. And she is definitely better than Moonbeam.

Barney Frank has done damage while in both minority and majority status. He is crooked. That is damage in and of itself.

petunia on October 30, 2010 at 2:59 AM

Meg simply overspent. I don’t think there’s much mystery about that race. It’s a bit off-putting, to say the least, to see someone try to buy a seat.

I can’t figure it out. There’s been tons of research that she should have heeded about the dangers of over-advertising.

It boomerangs.

AnninCA on October 30, 2010 at 10:30 AM

Sorry but I don’t believe those democrap committee heads. How many times are we promised that if republicans win that libtards will go to Canada or Mexico or anywhere outside the USA BUT THEY NEVER KEEP THEIR PROMISES! Please libtards, for once keep your lousy stinking promises and MOVE ON OUT OF CONGRESS, THE USA, whatever.

eaglewingz08 on October 30, 2010 at 10:47 AM

It is possible it Conyers eeeks out a win here this week, that if he does retire because the D’s get smashed on Tuesday, that the R candidate that is giving him a good run right now could win a special election. We can only hope.

Because the economy has sucked SO BAD for SO LONG in Michigan, the SE portion of the state has lost a lot of population. The SE portion of the state (libs) would swing most state wide elections. Now there is more population balance and it appears that the R’s will will all of the statewide races this cycle. And I heard on FoxNews that both houses in MI will swing R. If so, that will have a MAJOR impact on the redistricting in 2011.

karenhasfreedom on October 30, 2010 at 10:53 AM

I would give up a loss to Boxer and Barney Frak if it meant Grayson was gone

William Amos on October 29, 2010 at 8:20 PM

Not me. I want it all. Obama would call me “greedy”. I call him “hypocrite.” We understand each other very well.

rwenger43 on October 30, 2010 at 12:02 PM

Wow. That ad felt just like an acid flashback. Disturbing and confusing at the same time.

Squiggy on October 30, 2010 at 4:37 PM