Kendrick Meek: Crist offered me his sister’s cross to get me to drop out

posted at 9:38 pm on October 29, 2010 by Allahpundit

I think this is going to be my last Crist post of the year, guys. I can’t deal with it anymore. Even a devout cynic can only take so much.

Mr. Crist, the Florida governor, had called Mr. Meek, a Miami congressman, earlier that morning, about 4:50 a.m., leaving a voice mail asking if they could meet up at the AIPAC gathering. “I’ll call you later this morning and see if we can work out a time to get together just you and me,” Mr. Crist said in the voice mail, which was played for Washington Wire by Mr. Meek. “Take care, buddy.”

Mr. Meek was scheduled to speak at AIPAC about 8:30 and Mr. Crist at 10, but the governor showed up an hour early in hopes of catching the congressman.

Mr. Meek said he tried to avoid Mr. Crist, but as he left the stage, “there he was, right in front of me.”

“He said, ‘If you were to drop out and work with me and help me we together can beat Marco Rubio,’” Mr. Meek recalled. “I said, ‘Governor, that’s a non-starter.’

“Then he dug down into his pocket and pulled a small cross out,” Mr. Meek continued. “He said his sister gave it to him and he wanted to give it to me so I would think about it.”

Because, you see, Jesus wants Charlie Crist in the Senate. Meek claims he was shocked: “I told him to keep the cross and that I carry my Christianity in my heart.” Which is a noble reply, but alas, my friends, nobility doesn’t always carry the day. According to a new story just published by the NYT, some of Meek’s black supporters are already starting to defect to Crist thanks in part to Bill Clinton’s involvement in all this. Which, of course, is precisely why that story was leaked to Politico yesterday in the first place.

Update: I wonder if this incident helps explain why Meek changed his mind about dropping out. Maybe he’s now so creeped out by Crist that he figures, whatever it may mean for Rubio, he’s got to stay in and deny this guy as many votes as possible. I don’t blame him a bit.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Charlie Crist: “I’ll —- caucus for votes.”

justltl on October 29, 2010 at 10:48 PM

Sooooooooo…

… just how many skid marks on the bowl does Crist get before decent human beings decide to just flush the toilet and add some bleach?

Seven Percent Solution on October 29, 2010 at 10:48 PM

La Raza does not represent all of us.

lizzie beth on October 29, 2010 at 10:41 PM

Lizzie, a large part of my family is 1/2 Mexican. And German. What a combo, huh? Serioiusly though… My uncle is Mexican but he came from a different generation; the people who wanted to be here and who wanted to be Americans.

In my line of business, I meet many illegals. They all have their own stories; many have been here for years. Many are law abiding people just trying to make a living. I respect that. But, we are a Nation of Laws and not of men. That’s the hardest part of my job.

And please trust me when I say, factually, that there are too many opportunists taking advantage of our good will and our good nature. It is the opportunists that commit crimes, steal benefits and spit in the faces of everyone because they honestly believe that they are…. entitled.

Key West Reader on October 29, 2010 at 10:50 PM

I’ve been a Rubio supporter for some time, but now that it appears Jesus wants Charlie Crist to win, I’m going to have to reconsider my position.

Red State State of Mind on October 29, 2010 at 10:51 PM

Seven Percent Solution on October 29, 2010 at 10:48 PM

does orange stain porcelain???

jus askin..

ted c on October 29, 2010 at 10:51 PM

Oh good, a halloween thread… :)

golfmann on October 29, 2010 at 10:52 PM

I saw Meek on Greta as well. Truth is, Meek is a far better man than Crist will ever be. Meek will be back, Crist won’t.

slickwillie2001 on October 29, 2010 at 10:53 PM

does orange stain porcelain???

jus askin..

ted c on October 29, 2010 at 10:51 PM

The Planet Beach spray on tan produces stains on porcelain. The Tantra(TM) Brand has an orange tint but leaves no signs of election fraud.

Charlie says, go with the Tantra Brand Tan(TM)! It’s Tantastic!

Key West Reader on October 29, 2010 at 10:53 PM

It scares me to think of the time when Crist was being discussed as a possible GOP Presidential candidate. Can we not find conservatives who will stick to their principles?

hawksruleva on October 29, 2010 at 10:53 PM

Meek seems like a decent guy.

He’s probably as creeped out and disgusted by Crist as we are. I think at this point personally (not to be vocalized to anyone) he probably would rather see Rubio win than Crist.

Rubio is one of my favorites running across the country.

I’m from NJ and if I could vote for any candidate around the country, it would be him.

Elisa on October 29, 2010 at 11:00 PM

Wow. From what I can tell, Meek is a pretty stand-up guy.

Rightwingguy on October 29, 2010 at 11:03 PM

I wonder if Crist was lost behind his weird Greta show zombie face when he offered Meek his sister’s cross. Straight head case!

Gang-of-One on October 29, 2010 at 11:04 PM

Without integrity a man has no value.

Key West Reader on October 29, 2010 at 10:41 PM

True that.

ted c on October 29, 2010 at 10:40 PM

Giving up the family jewels for a senate seat!

TN Mom on October 29, 2010 at 11:08 PM

Key West Reader on October 29, 2010 at 10:50 PM

Well, I’m Mexican/Spanish on my dad’s side, then Scottish/Danish/Welsh/American Indian on my mom’s. It is a strange brew.

I realize many are just here to take advantage of the job market, and most of those have zero interest in becoming citizens unless it’s handed to them. They would be happier if they could do the same thing in say Monterrey.

The *Hispanic issues* are complicated, and one person doesn’t speak for all. But I do believe that those that are interested in being part of the American family are persuadable to the conservative side if conservatism is well articulated. I don’t happen to think most politicians can boil down what conservatism is really about well. Most don’t believe in much, most don’t have the communication skills to articulate the benefits of free markets, low taxes, etc., etc. It’s much easier to just pass out goodies.

I really believe Marco Rubio is one person, no matter his background, Paul Ryan is another, that can carry that message. The fact that he can explain why English Only is a positive for Hispanics in a way that can’t be stereotyped unless one wants to be made to look ridiculous like Crist & that moderator recently, or even amnesty & border control makes him all that much more of a powerful figure. He can go toe-to-toe with someone like Jorge Ramos and tell him he’s wrong about who Latinos have to be.

I’ve been working hard the last few weekends for Bill Flores here in TX even though I have to drive about 80 minutes to get to his district because I think it’s important for Republicans to have elected Hispanics in their ranks, even though I loathe racial politics.

Marco matters, a lot. The Dems know this and are trying desperately to kneecap him before he can reach a national stage.

lizzie beth on October 29, 2010 at 11:19 PM

At least he didn’t offer the key to her chastity belt.

kwbrownie2003 on October 29, 2010 at 11:26 PM

Maybe he’s now so creeped out by Crist….

And the rest of Florida should be too.

What a slimeball. Christ is Grayson with an orange glow.

BacaDog on October 29, 2010 at 11:37 PM

At least he didn’t offer Meek his sister.

Mojave Mark on October 29, 2010 at 11:49 PM

See ya later Charlie *Crispy Critter * Crist. You are officially TOAST!!!!!

hawkman on October 29, 2010 at 11:50 PM

What’s he going to do when he loses?
Hey, maybe he’ll show up at the Senate in January. Just walking around staring at people. Maybe sit in the gallery or try to get into meetings to just sit and stare, try to begin conversations and give his opinions. They’ll have to get the Capital police to get him out.

JellyToast on October 30, 2010 at 12:02 AM

So Meek is one of those baby murdering Christians who encourages society to yank children out of their mother’s uterus feet first after they poisoned the child?

Tim Burton on October 30, 2010 at 12:22 AM

At least he didn’t offer Meek her dentures. Because that would have been creepy.

Lily on October 30, 2010 at 12:25 AM

At least he didn’t offer Meek his sister.

Mojave Mark on October 29, 2010 at 11:49 PM

Yet. Still a few more days to go. Am I the only one who, if they were in Florida, would be very tempted to vote for Meek just to see Crist come in third?

RINO in Name Only on October 30, 2010 at 12:33 AM

I have a hard time believing this New York Times story about blacks going to Crist. They would be more likely to go to Rubio than Crist IMHO. I cannot believe they wouldn’t be disgusted at what Clinton and Crist tried to pull on Meeks.

PhiKapMom on October 30, 2010 at 12:34 AM

PhiKapMom on October 30, 2010 at 12:34 AM

Yeah, the party of Bull Connor sent a pasty old white guy from Arkansas to talk the black kid into dropping out so another old white guy could win the election. That’s gotta go down well with the democratics’ captive minority vote.

slickwillie2001 on October 30, 2010 at 12:39 AM

I think it is pretty obvious who has been leaking out these Meek is dropping out rumors for weeks. I mean, it has always been pretty obvious to those of us that pay close attention. Not it has to be obvious to those that just aren’t that engaged too. The desperation is that transparent.

Crist isn’t cracking 30%. I’m not sure he’s cracking 25. What a fall his career has taken.

stldave on October 30, 2010 at 12:44 AM

PhiKapMom on October 30, 2010 at 12:34 AM

It’s not important to the NY Times for it to be true, just to be believed.

PackerBronco on October 30, 2010 at 1:30 AM

The headline on Nov. 3 will be charges by the Democrats that the abysmal turnout from Blacks was because of voter intimidation by Tea Party thugs.

pedestrian on October 30, 2010 at 1:53 AM

Because, you see, Jesus wants Charlie Crist in the Senate

…and deemed AIPAC the best place to reveal this.

calbear on October 30, 2010 at 2:32 AM

Christ is Grayson with an orange glow.

BacaDog on October 29, 2010 at 11:37 PM

I love that typo.

leftnomore on October 30, 2010 at 2:46 AM

Kendrick Meek: Crist offered me his sister’s cross to get me to drop out

Crist’s cross to bear innuendo pathetically implies that Meek either fathered a child by his sister or should adopt. Meek is a bozo to broadcast this catch line.

maverick muse on October 30, 2010 at 8:48 AM

And HA commenters fill thread after thread with O’Donnell goofiness. She “dabbled in witchcraft” decades ago and had financial problems. Meanwhile, Crist has shed every position, principle and value he ever claimed. Now he’s wandering around offering competitors his family heirlooms.

The two candidates don’t even compare. Yet we fill multiple thread pages pounding on O’Donnell–a fellow conservative.

**sigh**

Grace_is_sufficient on October 30, 2010 at 9:12 AM

Maybe so. If he’s not creeped out, he should be. Crist has turned out to be scum.

petefrt on October 30, 2010 at 10:02 AM

At least he didn’t offer Meek his sister.

Mojave Mark on October 29, 2010 at 11:49 PM

Stay tuned.

petefrt on October 30, 2010 at 10:04 AM

Both guys are starting to look ridiculous to me. To even consider this was foolish.

Look at the latest story from AK. Let’s hope Sarah can pound the podium on just what is going on up there.

It’s not right.

AnninCA on October 30, 2010 at 10:19 AM

Wait. They’re at AIPAC and Crist hands Meek a cross?

Anyone else’s irony meter twitching a little here?

nukemhill on October 30, 2010 at 11:34 AM

lizzie beth on October 29, 2010 at 11:19 PM

Well spoken and well thought out. You’re a pretty impressive lady.

a capella on October 30, 2010 at 12:09 PM

slickwillie2001 on October 30, 2010 at 12:39 AM

Anybody heard from Al and Jesse, the Justice Brothers?

a capella on October 30, 2010 at 12:12 PM

“Kendrick Meek: Crist offered me his sister’s cross to get me to drop out”

Would have been much more newsworthy if he left out the word ‘cross’.

Kevin M on October 30, 2010 at 12:20 PM

Perhaps we will see this Crisp creep on The Apprentice – and they’ll bring back Rod Blagojevich so he can boost his image. Compared to Chuck Crisp, Blago might look like a model citizen.

redwhiteblue on October 30, 2010 at 12:30 PM

So Crist thought the black kid would drop out if he simply offered him a little “bling”? Does anyone else find this slightly racist?

I know, it’s a stretch, but leftists like Crist are always accusing conservatives of the same thing on a lot less evidence than this. I say, let’s go ahead and play by their rules for a little while, see if they can take it as well as they can dish it out.

runawayyyy on October 30, 2010 at 12:35 PM

runawayyyy on October 30, 2010 at 12:35 PM

Yep, I’m sure Crist was thinking that Meek could have melted that cross down and made a nice grill out of it.

slickwillie2001 on October 30, 2010 at 1:18 PM

Charlie: there is no “h” in Crist.

Learn to live with disappointment…

karl9000 on October 30, 2010 at 1:21 PM

Again, forgive me if I’m repeating someone, but I hope Meek had access to a shower right after that meeting.

Extrafishy on October 30, 2010 at 2:41 PM

Crist, I don’t think that bartering God has won you points in Heaven.

On another note, you’ve lost, badly, and your arrogance has shown America the inner workings of the mentality of the entitlement class. Thank you for showing us how to destroy your kind.

madmonkphotog on October 30, 2010 at 4:02 PM

baby murdering Christians

Tim Burton on October 30, 2010 at 12:22 AM

Oxymoron.

davidk on October 30, 2010 at 6:19 PM

Caucsucker.

MadisonConservative on October 30, 2010 at 6:53 PM

“…shows the Republican Rubio leading the field with 45 percent, followed by Gov. Charlie Crist at 28 percent and Meek at 21 percent. Only 6 percent of voters in the Mason-Dixon Polling & Research Inc. poll said they were undecided.
“There is simply no mathematical formula by which Crist or Meek can approach Rubio’s 45 percent support level,” said Mason-Dixon managing director Brad Coker

Hmm, let’s see, 28% plus 21% equals 49% to Rubio’s 45.

28% plus 21% plus 6% equals 55% to Rubios 45.

Perhaps no possible political model, but mathematical models abound.

Siddhartha Vicious on October 30, 2010 at 8:32 PM

Hmm, let’s see, 28% plus 21% equals 49% to Rubio’s 45.

28% plus 21% plus 6% equals 55% to Rubios 45.

You assume everyone intending to vote for Meek awill vote for Crist if Meek drops out. And every undecided voter will go for Crist as well. Statistics is not meant for simpletons.

Birdseye on October 31, 2010 at 1:13 AM

Disgusting.

Absolutely disgusting.

SgtSVJones on October 31, 2010 at 2:59 AM

How shameless are the Democrats, and how dismissive of their core constituency, that they would attempt to throw a good Democratic soldier like Kendrick Meeks, who worked hard and played by the rules and earned his shot, under the bus for a lifelong Republican like Crist, who is an unabashed opportunist?

How long and faithfully and enthusiastically did Meeks support Clinton, even when the latter was known to have violated the law and his oath of office?

Blacks should notice this, and consider whether it actually fits the pattern whereby they have faithfully delivered a near-unanimous vote to the Democrats since 1964, yet their situation has in many ways deteriorated, and such progress as they have made is due at least as much to Republicans like Ike, Nixon, and Reagan as to any Democrat.

Adjoran on October 31, 2010 at 5:34 AM

I cannot WAIT here in So Fla until Wednesday morning when I can say Congrats to Senator Rubio and all orangeman’s ads will be off my television and radio.
His latest ads pull for the pro-choice, saying the extremist Marco Rubio and Sarah Palin (lumping Sarah in with him) and their “extremist agenda” will repeal Roe vs Wade. Now he is giving out the cross, identifying himself with Jesus? He is just a mess of mixed messages.
At least if Kendrick Meeks were elected (and I will win Power Ball lotto at the same time) we know where he stands and what his true political positions are. He is at least a man of his principles (although I disagree with most of his) and he doesn’t sway. That’s why Crist can’t pull his followers away from Meeks.
Go Rubio!!!!!

LadyGator88 on October 31, 2010 at 10:29 AM

Crispy Critter Crist is the epitome of the character Herb Tarlic! Slime ball from the word go and everybody around him knows he’s full of Sh!* but he’s tolerated. WHY he’s tolerated I don’t know.

At least he didn’t offer his sister.

J.