Brutal new attack ad: John Adams is kind of a hermaphrodite, isn’t he?

posted at 6:16 pm on October 29, 2010 by Allahpundit

To cleanse the palate, a cheeky reminder from Reason TV that, as with so many other things, when it comes to political attacks the Founding Fathers simply did it at a higher level than we could. I’ve long wondered what possible common thread could have led us from Thomas Jefferson to, um, Alan Grayson. And now we know, my friends. The tie that unites us all as Americans: Dirtbaggish campaign ads.

Speaking of which, I want to make a long-distance dedication of this clip to the Party Of Ideas™, whose policy “accomplishments” in Congress over the past two years have so horrified voters that Ideas are now the last thing Democrats want to talk about on the campaign trail. It’s come to this:

As you watch this year’s ads — and I’ve been watching all too many lately — you’ll notice a striking difference between Democratic and Republican attack ads: Democrats are attacking over personal issues, Republicans are attacking over policy.

There are, of course, many exceptions, but the overall trend is clear. Democrats are hitting their Republican opponents over past legal transgressions, shady business deals and even speeding tickets. Republicans are hammering Democrats over “Obamacare,” Nancy Pelosi and the economy.

A recent study by the Wesleyan Media Project actually quantifies this. They looked at 900,000 airing of political ads this year and concluded: “Democrats are using personal attacks at much higher rates than Republicans and a much higher rate than Democrats in 2008.”

ObamaCare and the stimulus and financial reform, with cap-and-trade and amnesty presumably to come, and what Harry Reid really wants you to take away from this campaign is that Sharron Angle is “pathological” or something. That’s how excited he is about his own legislative record. Reason enough to vote Republican next week.

Comments

I am sorry, but I’m jaded. Pew Foundation did a study after the Dem primary and found the personal attacks on Hillary were overwhelmingly in the majority.

I never saw a peep. Once the elections are over, the winner wins.

AnninCA on October 29, 2010 at 6:19 PM

Funny..hehe

dangitt on October 29, 2010 at 6:21 PM

“You hatchet-faced Nutmeg Dealer!”

Bwaa haa haa! I’ll have to remember this one.

portlandon on October 29, 2010 at 6:22 PM

Outrage!!

More please.

the_nile on October 29, 2010 at 6:23 PM

I never saw a peep. Once the elections are over, the winner wins.

AnninCA on October 29, 2010 at 6:19 PM

This is true.

Obama got away with trashing Hillary in 2008. What he did was vile.

tetriskid on October 29, 2010 at 6:24 PM

Allahpundit is a pork-brained weevil-sucking son of a Hessian.

MadisonConservative on October 29, 2010 at 6:25 PM

Children writhing on a pike!

Classic.</em

To be fair, many of these sorts of things were done by newspapers on behalf of candidates without their full knowledge or consent.

mankai on October 29, 2010 at 6:29 PM

Allahpundit is a pork-brained weevil-sucking son of a Hessian.
ಠ_ರೃ
MadisonConservative on October 29, 2010 at 6:25 PM

FIFY.

FontanaConservative on October 29, 2010 at 6:30 PM

Your father is a hamster and your mother smells of elderberries!

Lily on October 29, 2010 at 6:30 PM

I cried. That was the best thing I’ve seen in….OK, ever.
*hyperbole, shut up*

Bee on October 29, 2010 at 6:31 PM

200 years ago the insults were better because they were accurate. They were coming from conservative American WASPs who had no reason, nor inclination, to engage in race baiting with other WASPs and were 150 years ahead of Godwin’s Law. A hatchet-faced nutmeg dealer was a good description of Lincoln. There was no need to call him a Nazi. Today, if you want to insult your opponent, all you got is the nomenclature of the juvenile discourse of identity politics which is almost the exclusive providence of the Left.

racist
nazi
fascist
whore
b1tch

That’s about it.

keep the change on October 29, 2010 at 6:31 PM

Didn’t Obama snort nutmeg in his youth?

Mallard T. Drake on October 29, 2010 at 6:31 PM

““Democrats are using personal attacks at much higher rates than Republicans..”

… and Republicans are just using the Democrats’ own record.

Thank goodness we have a “Free and Independent Press” to point that out to the voters so they can make a truly informed decision…

… Oh, wait!

Seven Percent Solution on October 29, 2010 at 6:31 PM

This was a point I tried to make with ernesto awhile back. These men actually fought in duels over political disagreements. We really need some perspective here. That doesn’t mean we excuse the vile attacks though.

Esthier on October 29, 2010 at 6:32 PM

If that dude is elected, children will be writing on pikes… which I am pretty sure is a quote also used in an ad being run against Jim Rennaci.

myrenovations on October 29, 2010 at 6:32 PM

MadisonConservative on October 29, 2010 at 6:25 PM

I love pork. And we all know bacon is the reason Islam will never prevail on North American soil.

shibumiglass on October 29, 2010 at 6:32 PM

“There was television in 1800″ – Joe Biden

BHO Jonestown on October 29, 2010 at 6:32 PM

Politics ain’t beanbag. The Romans used to savage each other, too. Some wag (Cicero?) once described Julius Caesar as “every woman’s man and every man’s woman.” Zing!

Infidoll on October 29, 2010 at 6:33 PM

keep the change on October 29, 2010 at 6:31 PM

How’s this for a start: Obama is a dumbo-eared back-bencher from the Senate.

Better yet: Obama is a dumbo-eared arugula-muncher.

Mallard T. Drake on October 29, 2010 at 6:34 PM

Brutal new attack ad: John Adams is kind of a hermaphrodite, isn’t he?

Jefferson pandering to the GLBT lobby!

Bruno Strozek on October 29, 2010 at 6:35 PM

Yes! This is what I always think when someone complains that the ads are the worst ever. Which is as predictable as the sunrise. Politically correct didn’t exist in history and people were both more honest and more dishonest!

It is shocking to see the absolutely false accusations of politicians we revere today.

Check out the attacks on Andrew Jackson’s wife. Well since she wasn’t officially divorced when she married Jackson…

So anyway. People were pretty much like us back then. Only we have the Internet.

petunia on October 29, 2010 at 6:35 PM

You don’t frighten us, you English pig-dogs! Go and boil your bottom, you sons of a silly person.

amerpundit on October 29, 2010 at 6:36 PM

Yeah, I like these bi-annual reminders. Also, don’t people know that the father of the Democrat party was a racist slave-owner?

Aquateen Hungerforce on October 29, 2010 at 6:37 PM

In 2008, Hillary was a demon, Bill was a racist, Geraldine Ferraro was a nutjob racist, his grandmother was a typical white woman, etc. The thing with Obama is that his bus discriminates over no one as long as they are under it.

Oh, and that video was hilarious.

MrX on October 29, 2010 at 6:39 PM

MadisonConservative on October 29, 2010 at 6:25 PM

Ohhhh, I like this game.

Allapundit is a bacon-filled ultra-beta with neither the wit of P.J. O’rourke nor the erudition of Krauthammer. Candy-ass RINO!

Aquateen Hungerforce on October 29, 2010 at 6:39 PM

MadisonConservative on October 29, 2010 at 6:25 PM

I always thought it was “Chamberlainesque RINO candy-ass!”

JeffWeimer on October 29, 2010 at 6:39 PM

Aquateen Hungerforce on October 29, 2010 at 6:39 PM

And he’s a poopy head!

*Looks around*

That was kind of anti-climatic, wasn’t it?

amerpundit on October 29, 2010 at 6:40 PM

shibumiglass on October 29, 2010 at 6:32 PM

With ya there! Don’t mess with my pig!

katy the mean old lady on October 29, 2010 at 6:40 PM

petunia on October 29, 2010 at 6:35 PM

And they had laws allowing duels over a matter of honor, which Jackson took full advantage of.

teke184 on October 29, 2010 at 6:40 PM

I wave my private parts at Obama’s Kenyan auntie.

andycanuck on October 29, 2010 at 6:40 PM

Thomas Jefferson: John Adams is a stupid head.

John Adams: I know you are, jerk face, but what am I.

keep the change on October 29, 2010 at 6:42 PM

Kentucky perspective here: Some of my buddies and I started goofing on political ads everyday during our lunch break. We would see who could go the most negative by making up crazy stuff:

“Ben Chandler (D) is so pro- choice that if you aren’t careful he will sneak up behind you and use a coat hanger to give you an unwanted abortion. Even if you’re not pregnant. Even if you’re a man.”

“Andy Barr (R) hates old people so much that not only does he want to end Social Security and Medicare, he hides in the bushes outside of the Senior Center, breaks old ladies’ hips with a tire iron, steals their SSI checks, and uses the money for methamphetamine and hooker binges.”

“Rand Paul (R) hates poor people so much that he bought a used ice cream truck, laced a bunch of popscicles with rat poison, and made $200,000 one summer selling them to ghetto children for a nickel a piece.”

Then the Jack Conway “Aqua Buddha” ad hit the air and we couldn’t top it.

Dukeboy01 on October 29, 2010 at 6:43 PM

One of the most interesting part in HBO John Adams mini-series was how vicious Jefferson and Adams attacked each other.

terryannonline on October 29, 2010 at 6:43 PM

Blazing Saddles – Harvey Korman
===============================

I want….you to round up every vicious…….

canopfor on October 29, 2010 at 6:46 PM

“Prefident Jefferfon”=Barney Frank, Time Traveler

(yessss, I know that “f” is an “s”)

hoosiermama on October 29, 2010 at 6:48 PM

Political Ad Angst!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Meanwhile,Team Obama says,get in their faces,
and be perpared for hand to hand combat!!

Civility and Unity my *ss!!

canopfor on October 29, 2010 at 6:49 PM

amerpundit on October 29, 2010 at 6:40 PM

Aww, you can do better. Throw in a TIWYF reference, metions ill-luck with the ladies, and tear him to shreds on his writing style. It’s fun for the whole family!

Aquateen Hungerforce on October 29, 2010 at 6:51 PM

When I’m mad at my wife, I shout: “You bear the infernal scent of the untariffed spices you smuggle!”

flicker on October 29, 2010 at 6:52 PM

“Prefident Jefferfon”=Barney Frank, Time Traveler

(yessss, I know that “f” is an “s”)

hoosiermama on October 29, 2010 at 6:48 PM

hoosiermama: I hopenzee that youz havenezee your her
paperenzee in zee properenzee orderenzee,
and herr yourz f’enzee isz an s-enzee!!!
(Kidding).

canopfor on October 29, 2010 at 6:52 PM

Ah, if we COULD only go back to the age of “civil” politics. Complete with duels. THAT would make people turn out for a debate, I’m betting!

Wind Rider on October 29, 2010 at 6:52 PM

Nutmeg dealer?

TexasDan on October 29, 2010 at 6:56 PM

Barney Frank on the mall at dawn… with a Toledo Salamanca.

flicker on October 29, 2010 at 6:56 PM

Seriously, has anyone noticed that forms of speech that were once merely not-PC are now routinely called “hate” speech by those who are politically offended — and that the federal government has extended “hate” itself into being a component of federal crimes?

flicker on October 29, 2010 at 7:09 PM

Mallard T. Drake on October 29, 2010 at 6:34 PM

Back when the Bamster burst onto the primary scene, someone described him as a ‘typical used Mercedes-Benz dealer’. Always one of my favorite descriptions of him.

slickwillie2001 on October 29, 2010 at 7:16 PM

Brilliant!

Cr4sh Dummy on October 29, 2010 at 7:23 PM

I read a biography of Adams and there was some really nasty partisanship going on back then. In fact he said that he felt that party politics was the greatest threat to the Republic.

Terrye on October 29, 2010 at 7:27 PM

Barney Frank on the mall at dawn… with a Toledo Salamanca.

flicker on October 29, 2010 at 6:56 PM

There can be only one..

Viper1 on October 29, 2010 at 7:27 PM

“You hatchet-faced Nutmeg Dealer!”

Bwaa haa haa! I’ll have to remember this one.

portlandon on October 29, 2010 at 6:22 PM

Yup, that has found a home in my vocabulary.

mizflame98 on October 29, 2010 at 7:40 PM

Democrats are also running a lot of misleading ads that pretend to be about the issues.

Count to 10 on October 29, 2010 at 8:02 PM

if only we would have seen ads 1/2 this bad in 2008…….maybe we wouldn’t be watching the DOTUS in the Oval Office right now.

……But I guess when you have the “fight with me, my friend” candidate that is just happy with the nomination that’s what you get…………a MARXIST/PROGRESSIVE that wins the election.

PappyD61 on October 29, 2010 at 8:08 PM

teke184 on October 29, 2010 at 6:40 PM

Would that it were allowed today and we had some ‘Old Hickory’ conservatives on Capitol Hill today; we’d hear a lot less from Grayson, Frank, Reid et al – they’d be hiding and recuperating from the last beating they took.

Midas on October 29, 2010 at 9:36 PM

Can’t “bleeve” I’m the first person to notice Mr. Eloquent Orator from Harvard is apparently phoning it in even while reading right off the teleprompter.

When pundits start shouting, and politicians start calling each other’s [sic] names, it can seem like a return to civility is not possible. Like the very idea is a relic of some bygoan [sic], bygone era.

Anyone else think the man sounds like he just came in from a round of golf, and can’t wait to get this speech over with so he can go have his dinner and hobnob with his Hollywood friends?

Either the man is stupid, straight up, or he Just. Doesn’t. Give. A. S***. I vote # 2.

inviolet on October 29, 2010 at 9:42 PM

LOL First genuine laugh I’ve had in a looong time. God I miss would miss Jefferson, uh if I had been alive back then. Um — but of course you’d have to be like 255 years old to actually miss him, and I’m not. Really.

cynccook on October 29, 2010 at 9:57 PM

It kind of spoils it when nearly every nasty thing one might think to say about Barney Frank is actually true.

My collie says:

Yeah. Where’s the fun in that?

CyberCipher on October 29, 2010 at 11:05 PM

Hamilton vs. Burr

Nuff said.

Yakko77 on October 29, 2010 at 11:38 PM

Hamilton v Burr wasn’t about an election, it was about an insult.

The Jefferson-Adams contests were rough stuff, but the first Adams-Jackson race was probably the most vile campaign in Presidential history.

Adjoran on October 30, 2010 at 12:55 AM

Yet Jefferson and Adams, as well as others who were often at each other’s throats, worked together to write the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution.

Could today’s political rivals do the same thing?

AaronGuzman on October 30, 2010 at 2:19 AM

Nutmeg dealer?

TexasDan on October 29, 2010 at 6:56 PM

Lincoln, who had tried his hand at many jobs, kept a grocery store for a while. Though why being called a storekeeper would be an insult, I don’t know!

Mary in LA on October 30, 2010 at 3:07 AM

Hamilton vs. Burr

Nuff said.

Yakko77 on October 29, 2010 at 11:38 PM

Hamilton succeeded in removing Burr, a man he believed to be morally unfit for any political office, from the political stage. The price he paid was was high, but he went in with the knowledge that it might come do.

Slowburn on October 30, 2010 at 3:31 AM

AnninCA on October 29, 2010 at 6:19 PM
tetriskid on October 29, 2010 at 6:24 PM

As a reaction, there was this.

DrMagnolias on October 30, 2010 at 8:40 AM

What’s all this fuss I hear about children riding on bikes? What’s wrong with that? Children need exercise.

- Emily Latella

disa on October 30, 2010 at 11:46 AM

“Prefident Jefferfon”=Barney Frank, Time Traveler

(yessss, I know that “f” is an “s”)

hoosiermama on October 29, 2010 at 6:48 PM

Here’s to a headline from Boston on the 3rd, then: “Barney Sank”

Blacksmith on October 30, 2010 at 7:31 PM

cynccook on October 29, 2010 at 9:57 PM

TIME TRAVELER!!!

Say, you weren’t in a Charlie Chaplin movie, were you??

Dominion on October 30, 2010 at 10:03 PM