Video: MN group attacks Dayton on aide firing

posted at 3:20 pm on October 28, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

The conservative group Minnesota Future will hit airwaves in the state with an ad hitting Democratic gubernatorial nominee and former US Senator Mark Dayton over a lawsuit filed by one of his former staffers while Dayton served in the Senate. The aide alleged that Dayton fired him after the aide developed a serious heart condition. As part of his legal strategy, Dayton claimed that the laws that Congress had imposed on businesses across America didn’t apply to Congress itself — a view rejected by the Supreme Court in a unanimous ruling:

Seven years ago, the plaintiff in the case spoke publicly about his treatment by Dayton, who was already on his way to winning Time Magazine’s Worst Senator award by the end of his term:

Brad Hanson began working for Mark Dayton’s U.S. Senate campaign in the summer of 2000. Hanson helped Dayton start up a hotline to help Minnesotans trying to get their health care covered by their insurance companies. Hanson continued to run the Health Care Help Line after Dayton was elected, and also worked as Dayton’s state office manager.

Hanson says he routinely worked 60-hour weeks, and began having health problems. Hanson says he has had an irregular heartbeat since he was 25, and began having more heart problems in 2002. His doctors recommended he have surgery at the Mayo Clinic, and Hanson met with Dayton to tell him he needed to take several weeks off for the surgery.

Hanson says the meeting lasted just a couple of minutes, ending, Hanson says, when Dayton told him, “you’re done.”

“I thought he was kidding at first,” Hanson says. “In fact, what I really expected him to say was, ‘You go home, you take care of yourself, what are you doing here?’ That’s what I expected. This was the Mark I knew, I thought.”

“That isn’t what he said,” Hanson recalls. “He said, ‘I won’t have dissension here.’ I said, ‘Mark, what dissension?’ He said, ‘You know, you put yourself above other people.’ And I said, ‘Can you tell me how?’ And he wouldn’t say anything, he just got rigid and he just sat and looked at me.”

Dayton’s office claimed that Hanson got canned for not responding to constituent complaints, but after losing at the Supreme Court on their primary claim of immunity, Dayton had to settle with Hanson.  Not only did he settle with Hanson, though, he initially left taxpayers on the hook for the payment.  Only after getting questioned about the arrangements of the settlement did Dayton finally indemnify taxpayers against his own malfeasance.

Tom Emmer is his Republican opponent, and be sure to lend your support.

Comments

B-b-but I thought Dems were just over flowing with compassion, and understanding???? They drug out person, after person with a personal malady, to show us how evil we were over the health care issue. Then we find out they don’t really give a crap about us, and this is all just one HUGE power grab, leading toward a dictatorship?

I AM STUNNED!!!!

capejasmine on October 28, 2010 at 3:27 PM

Its Karma Season!!

canopfor on October 28, 2010 at 3:30 PM

Democrat scum, perfect example.

Isn’t Dayton the wuss who turned tail and ran from DC, because of the slightest hint of a terror threat?

I am sorry, anyone who votes for these worthless, gutless, amoral Democrats is just a complete idiot.

The debate is over and the science is settled.

NoDonkey on October 28, 2010 at 3:31 PM

I wonder what Grayson thinks!!!!!!!!!!!!

canopfor on October 28, 2010 at 3:32 PM

I wonder what Grayson thinks!!!!!!!!!!!!

canopfor on October 28, 2010 at 3:32 PM

Ssssssshhhhhhhh…you’ll wake him up! :-)

sicoit on October 28, 2010 at 3:35 PM

EVIL IS EVIL!

SELFISH IS SELFISH!

GREEDY IS GREEDY!

BUT DEMOCRAT IS BOTH EVIL, SELFISH AND GREEDY!

THE REVENGE OF THE NERDS!

TheAlamos on October 28, 2010 at 3:39 PM

Interesting,not one Democrat gives a rats *ss,as to what
the American voter thinks,and just before the Mid-Terms,
denying their healthcare to their own staff,calling wom
en the W and B words.Talk about free advertizements,court
esy of the DNC!!!!!!!!!!

Gonna be alot of political soul searching on November 3,
maybe the Leftys should of had their Re-create 68′ Civil
War within their party,cause theres going to be finger po
inting between Progressive Socialists and Liberal Democrats,
ObamaZombieVoterBots and P*ssed Off HilRodians!!!!!!!!!!!

canopfor on October 28, 2010 at 3:40 PM

About time someone hit Dayton.

Mr. D on October 28, 2010 at 3:41 PM

I wonder what Grayson thinks!!!!!!!!!!!!

canopfor on October 28, 2010 at 3:32 PM
========================
Ssssssshhhhhhhh…you’ll wake him up! :-)

sicoit on October 28, 2010 at 3:35 PM

sicoit:Hehe,he just might snap!

canopfor on October 28, 2010 at 3:41 PM

so he wanted him to “die quickly,” eh?

oh wait, that’s republicans that wanted that…/

ted c on October 28, 2010 at 3:53 PM

That one statement pretty much sums up every Democrat and a lot of Republicans in Office today. Pathetic

jeffn21 on October 28, 2010 at 3:57 PM

Republican Tom Emmer just posted the results of his internal poll which shows he is tied with Dayton in the race for Governor in Minnesota.

The details on the poll are posted here:

Come on Minnesota, you know these close races are going to drive us crazy on election night. Please widen a lead for Tom Emmer NOW!

wren on October 28, 2010 at 3:57 PM

I apologize for being very parochial lately because I had no idea this total nutjob, (and yes, even by my low standards for Dems I consider him a complete nutjob) was the Dem Nominee for Gov in MN. Haven’t the people of MN learned anything other than Chilly and Favre suck?

TheBigOldDog on October 28, 2010 at 3:59 PM

I wonder what Grayson thinks!!!!!!!!!!!!

canopfor on October 28, 2010 at 3:32 PM

Grayson is just upset that Hanson didn’t die quickly enough.

malclave on October 28, 2010 at 4:01 PM

Correct me if wrong but we get to pay his retirement bennies for the rest of his life.

docflash on October 28, 2010 at 5:00 PM