Video: Canadian citizen with giant carbon footprint pretty opinionated about California green initiative

posted at 9:51 pm on October 28, 2010 by Allahpundit

The One tried to warn us about shadowy foreigners interfering in our elections, didn’t he? And yet, we laughed at him.

Who’s laughing now?

I don’t know anything about the substance of the issue, though my inclination would be to assume Cameron’s full of it. But what’s interesting is that Cameron is a foreigner, a Canadian citizen, who withdrew his application for U.S. citizenship after Bush won reelection in 2004. So what business does he have telling Americans how to vote on anything? Do Americans appear in Canadian political ads?

Good points, but this is a special case: (1) Cameron’s palsy walsy with the governor, which makes him extra-special, and (2) from the looks of things, he’s personally generating most of California’s carbon emissions these days, so it’s only logical that he’d want a say in any environmental regulations on the ballot.

I wish I could tell you this is the most irritating Cameron-related news of the day, but … it gets worse. Much, much worse. Exit question: How tedious does your sci-fi franchise have to be to make another round of “Star Wars” movies sound good by comparison?

Comments

semi related topic: Algore in switzerland leaves car running for an hour while giving speech…..and encourages conference attendees to take public transit to spare CO2 emissions….

No word on chakra release.

ted c on October 28, 2010 at 9:54 PM

What a moron.

Chudi on October 28, 2010 at 9:54 PM

This is the guy who backed out of a debate with global warming deniers, right?

amerpundit on October 28, 2010 at 9:54 PM

I’m a Canadian citizen.

I drive a Honda Civic hybrid.

I’m against the Green initiative.

Call me if you need a rebuttal.

ExUrbanKevin on October 28, 2010 at 9:55 PM

From Texas!!?

Marcus on October 28, 2010 at 9:55 PM

I’d say Cameron is about 12.3 courics.

MadisonConservative on October 28, 2010 at 9:55 PM

Paging Drywall…paging David Throckmorton Ballscratch Rywall…get on in here troll.

ted c on October 28, 2010 at 9:55 PM

Another hypocrite.

cynccook on October 28, 2010 at 9:57 PM

Do as I say, prole…not as I do.

ted c on October 28, 2010 at 9:57 PM

No to prop 23
yes to more B.O. and unemployment

esnap on October 28, 2010 at 9:57 PM

Is he here illegally?

txag92 on October 28, 2010 at 9:57 PM

Makes me wish I didn’t like Terminator. Why anyone cares what a Hollywood buffoon says is beyond me.

sharrukin on October 28, 2010 at 9:58 PM

Canada, come get your Cameron emissions.

anXdem on October 28, 2010 at 10:01 PM

ted c on October 28, 2010 at 9:55 PM

Here, kitty, kitty, kitty…

GO GET ‘EM, TED!!

Khun Joe on October 28, 2010 at 10:01 PM

Wait, I like Avatar! …and what does that have to do with anything?

Skandia Recluse on October 28, 2010 at 10:05 PM

ted c on October 28, 2010 at 9:55 PM

Here, kitty, kitty, kitty…

GO GET ‘EM, TED!!

Khun Joe on October 28, 2010 at 10:01 PM

(clink, clink) Drywall, come out and plaaay. (clink, clink)

Oh, wait, that’s Ace of Spades

JeffWeimer on October 28, 2010 at 10:06 PM

Just because people go see their movies, somehow these goobers get the impression that what they say will have the same effect and value.

The best way to predict whether a kid becomes a liberal: They skip economics classes religiously.

AubieJon on October 28, 2010 at 10:09 PM

I dug Avatar. Cinematic history. No, not the storyline. The technology.

John the Libertarian on October 28, 2010 at 10:09 PM

This guy’s a proud tar sands supporter, he lost his green cred long ago, if he ever had it.

ernesto on October 28, 2010 at 10:10 PM

So, he’s a real illegal alien

Kini on October 28, 2010 at 10:16 PM

soulda killed himself after terminator 2

Daveyardbird on October 28, 2010 at 10:17 PM

Kirpow is on greta right now…bad juju for the WH. She’s telling the truth this time.

ted c on October 28, 2010 at 10:17 PM

ouch. kirpow said POTUS got taken to the “woodshed” by Stewart…whoa, didn’t she know the POTUS was black. Wonder what she meant by that?

ted c on October 28, 2010 at 10:18 PM

I’d love to pee on his shoes.

Some people just deserve it.

JEM on October 28, 2010 at 10:18 PM

Oh eat poo.

ronsfi on October 28, 2010 at 10:18 PM

STFU, useless Hollywood liberal tool.

infidel4life on October 28, 2010 at 10:19 PM

Shut up you stupid moron! No one believes in AGW any more! It’s a fairy tale superstition. You might as well threaten people with visitation by polar bear ghosts and zombie penguins if they don’t recycle!

StubbleSpark on October 28, 2010 at 10:20 PM

Scandalous

crr

CWforFreedom on October 28, 2010 at 10:22 PM

sharrukin on October 28, 2010 at 9:58 PM

Wait, I like Avatar! …and what does that have to do with anything?

Skandia Recluse on October 28, 2010 at 10:05 PM

I like a good movie as much as anyone, a great story, fabulous effects, great directorial skills, but I avoided seeing AVATAR due to one thing and one thing only: far too much hype. It turned me off about the film and I’ve even avoided watching it on PPV ever since…my inability to suspend disbelief, I guess.

But what IS it with Hollywood people? Their assumption that their wealth and publicity privileges somehow imparts them with great insights on big issues — I realize not ALL people in entertainment are like that but so many of them are and you peek under the surface of all that glitz and you find really unpleasant, often quite foolish people.

It makes it more difficult every year to just enjoy the movies. I agree with AP here, that a new STAR WARS series sounds at least good escape material by comparison with Cameron’s “I’m King of The World” egomania.

Lourdes on October 28, 2010 at 10:30 PM

StubbleSpark on October 28, 2010 at 10:20 PM

Hahhaaha…polar bear ghosts and zombie penguins…hahahahaha…

Lourdes on October 28, 2010 at 10:32 PM

StubbleSpark on October 28, 2010 at 10:20 PM

Hahhaaha…polar bear ghosts and zombie penguins…hahahahaha…

Lourdes on October 28, 2010 at 10:32 PM

And aqua vampires!

Lourdes on October 28, 2010 at 10:33 PM

Avatar 2: The Corporation Strikes Back
Avatar 3: The Secret of Unobtainium

Socratease on October 28, 2010 at 10:35 PM

I dug Avatar. Cinematic history. No, not the storyline. The technology.

John the Libertarian on October 28, 2010 at 10:09 PM

In five years or less the tech will be old hat…..the story will still suck!
Technology is like a brand new toy all fresh and shinny
…you look at it….drool over it….’til it you get
bored and then….it’s love for the new tech on the block.
The story will always be key.

P. Monk on October 28, 2010 at 10:36 PM

Lourdes on October 28, 2010 at 10:30 PM

I avoided seeing Avatar for the same reason. Films that are too preachy really grate on me, and they always short change good movie making for ‘The Message’. One notable exception was Dr Strangelove which had a ‘Message’ but the movie came first. Avatar from what I saw, was a lot of CGI and the same old story about evil westerners crushing the poor saintly natives under our industrial heel.

sharrukin on October 28, 2010 at 10:38 PM

Only the elite deserve to live well.

GarandFan on October 28, 2010 at 10:40 PM

Avatar 2 is going to be about a guy who was paralyzed when he slaughtering people trying to save their planet from carbon dioxide. Then he get shipped off to a world where an evil corporate interest is sucking all the “bullcrapium” from the ocean floor, slowly killing all the lovable Swim-Fu people. THe guy gets to swim to make friends with the Swim-Fus, then they rebel and push the evil corporate people off the planet and save the “bullcrapium” from being harvested.

Avatar 3 is going to be about a guy who worked for “British Penublium Space Corp”, who was hurt when Space Rig 32 leaked anti-matter into space and contaminated several nearby planets. Guy from Rig joins forces with the once-docile “Democratians” on the planet to punish and destroy “British Penublium” and prevent all anti-matter mining.

I’ve got ideas for Avatar 4-35, if anyone wants to hear them.

Nethicus on October 28, 2010 at 10:40 PM

I’ve got ideas for Avatar 4-35, if anyone wants to hear them.

Nethicus on October 28, 2010 at 10:40 PM

sharrukin on October 28, 2010 at 10:48 PM

Lourdes on October 28, 2010 at 10:30 PM

Don’t you DARE watch it on TV. You have to watch it in IMAX 3D with buttkicker seats (that’s what they call them) that have a woofer underneath your tush. It’s an unbelievable psychedelic odyssey without having to use drugs.

John the Libertarian on October 28, 2010 at 11:06 PM

sharrukin on October 28, 2010 at 10:48 PM

That’s so… this.

Nethicus on October 28, 2010 at 11:12 PM

If he would have been in a certain place, forty years ago, he would have been “fragged.” Not that that is right…. I’m just sayin’.

Star20 on October 28, 2010 at 11:22 PM

One word: “Unobtanium.”

TQM38a on October 28, 2010 at 11:48 PM

Lourdes on October 28, 2010 at 10:30 PM

John the Libertarian on October 28, 2010 at 11:06 PM

Uh, no, thanks.

There IS this thing called downhill skiing. Maybe you should try it. My guess is the thrill is far more intense with the downhill skiing than it is sitting in any “buttkicking seat”.

And they actually CALL them “buttkicking seats”?!? Sounds far to AVATAR-ish for my liking.

Lourdes on October 29, 2010 at 12:01 AM

Avatar: Episode II – Barack of the Clowns
Avatar: Episode III – Revenge of the Smurfs

pedestrian on October 29, 2010 at 12:02 AM

sharrukin on October 28, 2010 at 10:38 PM

That was my impression, too. All that “buttkicking seat”ing add-on stuff was far too much oversell to sell a weak story. The weak story aspect just leaped out at me in all the hype, much as you’ve summarized there ^^.

Lourdes on October 29, 2010 at 12:05 AM

What’s avatar? Sounds like something if you squeeze it enough under high pressure, it yields oil…

av8tr on October 29, 2010 at 12:05 AM

soulda killed himself after terminator 2

Daveyardbird on October 28, 2010 at 10:17 PM

Yes, Terminator 2 was a very, very bad work.

Though I did like 3.

Lourdes on October 29, 2010 at 12:07 AM

Let’s hope his ex-wife kicks his butt all over the Academy Awards over the sequels too.

slickwillie2001 on October 29, 2010 at 12:08 AM

I think James Cameron secretly wishes he could be the front part of a human centipede.

MadisonConservative on October 29, 2010 at 12:08 AM

Global warming is a HOAX! There, I said it. Now come and get me.

KillerKane on October 29, 2010 at 12:38 AM

Lourdes on October 29, 2010 at 12:01 AM

I clock in at least 30 days a year. Though you may think Mammoth and Alta suck.

No, Avatar had nothing to do with calling them buttkicking. Try it out, you will feel silly for saying these things, trust me. It’s well worth it.

John the Libertarian on October 29, 2010 at 1:03 AM

Here’s one Californian who says BITE ME! to both you clowns.

Gang-of-One on October 29, 2010 at 1:14 AM

sharrukin on October 28, 2010 at 10:38 PM

You seen Dances with Wolves, you seen Avatar.

chewydog on October 29, 2010 at 1:42 AM

You seen Dances with Wolves, you seen Avatar.

chewydog on October 29, 2010 at 1:42 AM

I saw Dances With Wolves on someone’s recommendation and yeah, it was the same claptrap. I now ignore that particular individuals movie recommendations.

Is it too much to ask for them to just make a good movie with a decent storyline?

sharrukin on October 29, 2010 at 1:45 AM

Oh GFY Jim! I Didn’t see your Blue Toon’ “Masterpiece” Or Your “King Of The World” Floater. I Did see how you were practically on your way to picking up your Oscar for, oooh, Avatar’s being Best Picture, before they called out The Hurt Locker by your Ex though. And that was the best Short film I’d seen in Years!

Teddy on October 29, 2010 at 2:42 AM

I can’t believe arnie would support this crap.

Blake on October 29, 2010 at 3:28 AM

Sorry kids, he ain’t lived here for over 30 years. We don’t him back.

All yours!

Jim708 on October 29, 2010 at 5:02 AM

In other news, the south pole is discovered to be cold.

Next study, is Michelle Obama a pompous @ss?

csdeven on October 29, 2010 at 5:56 AM

Here are Canadian citizens whose input I would value on election issues in the states:

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on October 29, 2010 at 6:52 AM

Shut up you stupid moron! No one believes in AGW any more!

It’s interesting to see fewer and fewer of these types of posts here. Perhaps it is due to the fact that this year is on course to be the hottest global year ever recorded, thus driving a stake into the heart of the global-warming-has-reversed-iteself theme. This and the realization that the East Anglia affair has shown itself to be a non-issue with regard to climate science have rather muted the intensity of the debate at Hotair.

Now, the focus here seems to be on “hypocrites”, such as Cameron and Gore. Yes, they’re hypocrites, as am I (and many of you). Don’t know what that has to do with the science of AGW, though.
Well, I’m off to work in my carbon-belching Honda.

oakland on October 29, 2010 at 7:24 AM

hottest global year ever recordedoakland on October 29, 2010 at 7:24 AM

Um. No.
Check out any old rocks lately?
They give you lots of information.
Like:
Amount of precipiation
Atmospheric conditions etc.
How ’bout NASA’s inaccurate satellite temp data that doesn’t account for the effect of clouds upon surface temperatures? How ’bout temp data sites near large urban areas not accounting for the heat island effect?
A lot of our historic temperature data is suspect.
Humans may be able to affect their microclimates & they can obviously affect local ecosystems, but this Gaia hypothesis is defunct garbage. Changing one thing in Earth’s climate system somewhere does not cause global changes so that the Earth is in ‘danger’.
This is boneheaded. The Earth is not one great big happy bunch of dominoes that when you knock one down, all the others will come crashing down unless ‘someone’ intervenes.
It’s BS.
And as I have said before, CO2 does not drive up temperatures in the troposphere.
Rising temperatures cause more CO2 to be ‘taken up’ by it.
Jesus H. Christ it’s like talking to a brick wall.

Badger40 on October 29, 2010 at 8:40 AM

I thought Avatar was silly. How to Train Your Dragon had a better learn to live with what life gives you message and District 9 was a better alien themed movie about man’s “inhumanity”, though I’d still kill the “prawns”. I have a very strong self-preservation gene.

Cameron is just dripping with smugness, arrogance, condescension and hubris. Ick. Ick. Ick. Ick.

And, I can’t wait for Ah-nold to go… What a disappointment.

Fallon on October 29, 2010 at 8:41 AM

And Avatar sucked big time IMHO.
What an utter & complete piece of garbage.
And even if the effects are cool to watch, a sucky story is still a sucky story.
Kinda like an empty headed pretty boy or girl.

Badger40 on October 29, 2010 at 8:42 AM

I wonder which group Illegal Aliens fall into: cyborgs or Avatars? Why else would he tell Californians to tell cyborgs and Avatars to vote no on the issue?

jedijson on October 29, 2010 at 8:45 AM

This kind of statement always makes me laugh. We tend to think of our time on earth as the time on earth. The earth has surely been hotter than it is today, but saying that does not scare people into buying reusable grocery bags and feeling like they are “saving” the planet.

Fallon on October 29, 2010 at 8:47 AM

The story will always be key.

P. Monk on October 28, 2010 at 10:36 PM

Awww G’wan, next you’ll be telling me that Alfred Hitchcock movies are better than the ones by this Cameroon guy. /sarc

Oldnuke on October 29, 2010 at 8:51 AM

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on October 29, 2010 at 6:52 AM

Bob and Doug would definitely tell him to “take off, hoser”.

Extrafishy on October 29, 2010 at 8:55 AM

Mr. Cameron,

If you have so much passion for the subject, debate the issue on the facts.

dogsoldier on October 29, 2010 at 9:07 AM

(clink, clink) Drywall, come out and plaaay. (clink, clink)

Oh, wait, that’s Ace of Spades

JeffWeimer on October 28, 2010 at 10:06 PM

Sad, but I know exactly what that refers to.

BobMbx on October 29, 2010 at 9:32 AM

Sad, but I know exactly what that refers to.

BobMbx on October 29, 2010 at 9:32 AM

Sad? One of my favorite movies. Ranks right up there with The Crow!

Oldnuke on October 29, 2010 at 9:44 AM

Fallon on October 29, 2010 at 8:47 AM

I laugh to. Then I get irritated.
Bcs there are some people out there who just keep repeating the same old Gaia crap.

Badger40 on October 29, 2010 at 9:51 AM

“Perhaps it is due to the fact that this year is on course to be the hottest global year ever recorded, thus driving a stake into the heart of the global-warming-has-reversed-iteself theme.”

The Super La Nina and the Coming Winter:

“A super La Nina is developing. Historically, these strong La Nina events drop the Earth’s average temperature around one degree Fahrenheit, and the drop comes quickly. As a result, some of the same places that had record heat this summer may suffer through record cold this winter.”

slickwillie2001 on October 29, 2010 at 11:15 AM

Here’s the letter to the editor I wrote to the local paper in response to a high-school indoctrinate who completely lied about prop 23… it probably won’t be published so feel free to amend it and use if for your own purposes. Thanks.

I applaud Kasey Duval for getting involved in the political process, but if the student wants straightforward campaigning it would be wise to not misrepresent facts regarding current propositions. Proposition 23 does not require unemployment to remain under 5% for 4 quarters prior to implementing AB 32 (as Kasey states), but it does require that unemployment remain at or below the level it was when we voted the intense, new global warming regulations into place, for one year. That unemployment rate was 5.5% and we have, indeed, maintained that wonderfully low unemployment rate for 4 quarters in the past. In fact, according to the “Labor Force & Unemployment Data” page from the official State of California website, we maintained an unemployment rate below 5.5% for 12 consecutive quarters, between 2005 and 2007.
The reason we would postpone enactment of a law that would cause a 50% (or 67%) increase in electricity costs, increased costs for gas, diesel and a 57% increase (according to the California Air Resources Board (aka CARB)) in natural gas costs, coupled with a $500 million per year water tax is glaring; even Scott Pelley of CBS news reports that our current unemployment rate is near an incredible 22%. Over 1 million additional jobs will be destroyed by AB 32 according to UC Berkeley’s Center for Labor Research and Education.
Proposition 23 would not repeal all environmental protections, as the scary political ads claim, it ONLY postpones enactment of new laws until the state is back on it’s proverbial feet for a year. California already has the strictest environmental laws in the country and those laws will remain in place.
Furthermore, while “Big Texas Oil” is demonized in the ads for backing the proposition, not a peep is mentioned about who is propping up the No on 23 campaign- that would be “Big Green Energy” through Thomas Steyer (a $33 billion dollar Green hedge fund manager who stands to profit from AB 32 and has put $2.5 million toward stopping Prop 23 and pledged an additional $2.5 million) and “Big Hollywood” through James Cameron (who backed out of a debate on climate change but invested $1 million to stop Prop 23 between flying around the world in jets.)
Kasey is correct that Proposition 23 isn’t presented in a straightforward manner, but the people confusing facts are those committed to defeating the legislation. Please vote YES on Prop 23.

NTWR on October 29, 2010 at 12:45 PM

The MSM is not exactly rushing to tell us Cameron is a Canadian.

TimBuk3 on October 29, 2010 at 12:52 PM

Anyone want to lay odds on whether or not this Putz was one of the Hollywierd elite’s that tied up the airport in South Africa with their private jets for their latest windig?

I heard it was somethin’ like 2 hours before some of the commercial flights could land!

AllosaursRus on October 29, 2010 at 2:05 PM

slickwillie2001 on October 29, 2010 at 11:15 AM

La Nina. El Nino.
oakland I believe has stated that he is/was a science teacher for many years.
Coupled with living in CA (I believe this is true), this man, based on the conclusions he has displayed on this subject, has no doubt turned countless young people into Gaia believers.
I’ve seen that for many science teachers, it’s just too easy to read & teach the propaganda sported in the teacher science magazines, lesson plans, science textbooks etc than it is to follow any other course.
There are also a lot of scientists out there who believe this $hit bcs they won’t dig past the veneer of lies to discover any meaningful truth.
It is sickening to me.

Badger40 on October 29, 2010 at 2:14 PM

The MSM is not exactly rushing to tell us Cameron is a Canadian.

TimBuk3 on October 29, 2010 at 12:52 PM

Ends justifies the means. Liberalism is an evil philosophy, I can’t think of any other way to say it.

scotash on October 29, 2010 at 5:06 PM

Back in the early part of the 20th century, Jacksonville, FL (my hometown) was one of the moviemaking capitals of the world. Hundreds of films were made here every year, and studios dotted the landscape. Eventually, the people of Jacksonville got fed up with the general public nuisance that is filmmaking, and the filmmakers got tired of being gouged by the people of Jacksonville, so the studios packed up and moved to Beverly. The rest is history.

To this day, the local fishwrap still runs yearly articles decrying the shortsightedness of the city fathers back then and lamenting “what might have been” had the studios stayed.

If it means not having to deal with assholes like Cameron, I’d say we dodged a bullet.

mikefln on October 29, 2010 at 5:15 PM

After you have finished laughing, Fallon, please read my statement again, carefully, and understand what I mean by “recorded”.

oakland on October 29, 2010 at 5:49 PM

It may be, but these are not sources that I turn to for information. The “propaganda” that I read includes university texts and academic publications by experts in the field of climatology. Please understand that teachers (particularly science teachers) don’t limit themselves to the types of materials you indicated. Most of us have received academic training far beyond the scopes of these materials. As for myself, I have degrees both in biology and in engineering, and can understand a good deal of what I read in scientific publications. Of course, this doesn’t make me an expert by any means.

Now, you speak of “meaningful truth”. From where do you derive your “meaningful truth”? Since you seem to know what is the “meaningful truth”, you must be an expert. Is this correct?

oakland on October 29, 2010 at 6:00 PM

Mwuahahahah! My letter to the editor was published today, too bad it’s a tiny community paper.

BTW, the description of prop 23 was incorrect in the absentee ballots sent to Fresno county. Yup, about 140,000 people got ballots using language that a judge ruled as misrepresenting of facts for prop 23. Who’s office wrote the ballot language that was struck down by the judge? That would be the AG’s office, aka Jerry Brown’s office.

NTWR on October 29, 2010 at 7:04 PM

Too bad Meg Whitman didn’t support Proposition 23… she could have used Brown’s shenanigans against him. Oh well, she’s still better than Brown by billions.

And if she wins and prop 23 goes down, she’s pledged a 1 year moratorium on AB 32. Any suspending of that horrible law is good news.

NTWR on October 29, 2010 at 7:19 PM