Quotes of the day

posted at 10:36 pm on October 28, 2010 by Allahpundit

“‘What you’re seeing is the first shot in the war against Sarah Palin,’ said Tea Party Nation founder Judson Phillips. ‘Karl Rove is a very shrewd political operative. Getting himself into trouble is not what’s going on,’ added Phillips, who earlier this year organized the Tea Party convention, where Palin was the headline speaker.

“‘Karl Rove–bless his heart–has been wrong all summer long when it comes to having any idea of what conservative Americans want,’ said Levi Russell, spokesperson for the Tea Party Express by email. ‘The difference is that Rove is a D.C. analyst, and Sarah Palin is a leader.’ Russell described Palin as ‘unquestionably the most electrifying figure in politics today,’ while Rove ‘strikes me as a guy who would cross his arms and scowl at the thought of some Hollywood actor named Reagan running for Governor of California.’”

***

***

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Sarah Palin is a leader?

Follow me! Oh wait, I just resigned.

On my reality show!

On dancing with the stars!

Sorry boopsy. I ain’t buying it.

NoDonkey on October 29, 2010 at 2:31 AM

I agree. Thanks Karl Rove.

TheAlamos on October 29, 2010 at 7:17 AM

Rasmussen has Rossi UP now by one point.

SurveyUSA/King 5 (King 5 is a very liberal station) has a tie between Rossi and Murray. Both of them at 47%.

Rossi has made up 3-4 points in a week. That’s a fact.
Holy —— sh!t the guy is gonna win this , I think.

This does jive with women going to the GOP lately. COD can beat Coons if this carries nation wide.

B Man on October 29, 2010 at 7:19 AM

Palin, with all her negatives, gives him that chance.

No way.

NoDonkey on October 29, 2010 at 7:13 AM

So, Karl Rove. Tell us who are the candidates with no negatives?

TheAlamos on October 29, 2010 at 7:19 AM

Once the Republicans take back Congress, the economy will stabilize and will grow by 2012.

At that point, he will have a chance to win re-election.

I don’t want to give him that chance.

Palin, with all her negatives, gives him that chance.

No way.

NoDonkey on October 29, 2010 at 7:13 AM

how is the economy going to improve? bush tax cuts are going to expire, the budget is set on autopilot, their is no budget at the moment, demand is crushed and all policies are fighting deflation instead of embracing it to bring back demand.

the economy at the best can hope for Japan style stagflation until both parties understand deflation is not the boogyman they think it is.

unseen on October 29, 2010 at 7:19 AM

unseen on October 29, 2010 at 7:15 AM

My question is why is the RNC just now getting on this?

It’s not like these machines were delivered yesterday.

Computer programs have requirements. They are developed and they are tested.

If the RNC is just figuring this out now, we have bigger problems than reports of wacky machines.

NoDonkey on October 29, 2010 at 7:20 AM

Respectful dialouge for Palin on MSNBC? We’ve seen this movie before. The pumping up to attack her later with bogus charges like the MSM did McCain?

Hog Wild on October 29, 2010 at 7:22 AM

B Man on October 29, 2010 at 7:19 AM

THE WOMEN ARE THE TSUNAMI.
THE WOMEN CANDIDATES ARE DOING IT FOR THE GOP.

Thanks to the NON-LEADER MILKING COW SARAH PALIN.

TheAlamos on October 29, 2010 at 7:22 AM

dang it, so upset with lisa m…she couldn’t lose gracefully….

cmsinaz on October 29, 2010 at 7:23 AM

So, Karl Rove. Tell us who are the candidates with no negatives?

TheAlamos on October 29, 2010 at 7:19 AM

“Arlen Specter , Charlie Crist , Leshinsky Skowskini, to name a few”

the_nile on October 29, 2010 at 7:29 AM

Computer programs have requirements. They are developed and they are tested.

NoDonkey on October 29, 2010 at 7:20 AM

Well no one wants to accuse a major party of election fraud but when the facts fit…….. and the GOP is the minority party in NC and thus have little power to effect change before documented results are shown.

unseen on October 29, 2010 at 7:29 AM

Rasmussen has Rossi UP now by one point.

Rossi has made up 3-4 points in a week. That’s a fact.
Holy —— sh!t the guy is gonna win this , I think.

B Man on October 29, 2010 at 7:19 AM

You know, what’s remarkable in this race? The discussion is
really extreme to extreme.

The campaign is like: Pro-Life Rossi vs. Pro-Abortion Murray.

And Rossi has edged up Murray in the last 2 weeks. The demographic shift is really the women.

O’Donnell’s internals was leaked at -5% or even better, and closing to toss up.

Rumors said that Coons has been shaky.

TheAlamos on October 29, 2010 at 7:31 AM

unseen on October 29, 2010 at 7:29 AM

I don’t believe that.

You’re saying as far as the machines, the RNC just trusted that they would work correctly?

They didn’t ask to see them prior to the election? They weren’t permitted to see the requirements? To test them?

Yeah sure, appealing to a judge, that will work.

Seems to me, the lawsuits should have come a long time ago, if this is the first time the GOP is seeing these machines and the software requirements.

NoDonkey on October 29, 2010 at 7:36 AM

I am getting really tired of that quittin’ meme. I have to credit myself for watching the whole interview without spittin’ the coffee.

She has the experience, background, would surely pick the best advisers around, and I can’t wait to see her have a meet-and-greet with Thatcher.

I wish she’d go USO and meet with the troops via surprise in Afghanistan as of right now. Take a nice, juicy, golden brown turkey there. I bet the welcome wagon would be very different that Obama’s or the other wanna-be POTUS out there.

ProudPalinFan on October 29, 2010 at 7:37 AM

TheAlamos on October 29, 2010 at 7:31 AM

The last poll before I saw the rasmussen had Rossi losing by 3 or 4 and I think THAT was a ras poll.

Then Murray put out the “he’ll ban abortion” ad. Yeah, they saw the numbers moving, too.

COD just keeps raising money seemingly hand over fist. Anyone who thinks she cannot win is fooling themselves.
Yeah she can win. Will she? I don’t know, but it’s looking very possible. The generic gallop numbers are simply staggering right now. Unbelievable gap there.

I just gotta laugh at the ‘Palin can’t win’ people.
She’s just in this for herself. Wow, that’s chugging some heavy kool-aid there.

B Man on October 29, 2010 at 7:39 AM

Yeah sure, appealing to a judge, that will work.

NoDonkey on October 29, 2010 at 7:36 AM

Appealing to a judge? seems to have worked for Lisa M,

As far as knowing before hand. this is before hand. The election is Nov 2 or have you forgotten? this is the early voting season and these conserns are starting to come to light as many machines are now being used. checking one or two is different than checking every voting machine in 30 counties.

unseen on October 29, 2010 at 7:42 AM

Yeah, she can exort them to keep their chins up, when the money is tight, their wife is leaving them, their kids don’t know who they are, their buddies are getting shot, they are on their fourth deployment in six years . . .

“Because when the going gets tough . . . um, well, geez. Have you seen my Facebook page!”

NoDonkey on October 29, 2010 at 7:44 AM

ProudPalinFan on October 29, 2010 at 7:37 AM

disagree. the war should not be a political backstop. she went to kosovo and met the AK national guards troops after the election.

It is a bad form to trash the president overseas esp in front of the troops in the middle of the war.

unseen on October 29, 2010 at 7:47 AM

ProudPalinFan on October 29, 2010 at 7:37 AM

I will not further comment on this “quitting” issue.

It will be her major CARD during the primary (RINOs/Establishment R) and the final battle (Obama’s machinery).

Clue: WHO WERE REALLY BEHIND THE 2008 Destroy Palin?

Karl Rove is really afraid.

TheAlamos on October 29, 2010 at 7:48 AM

Appealing to a judge? seems to have worked for Lisa M

So the state can rig the machines to vote Democrat, but it can’t rig a court ruling at the last minute?

As far as knowing before hand. this is before hand.

No. Before hand is “before early voting”.

They couldn’t have tested these machines prior to the election?

That’s why I think this is nonsense. Of course they did.

And if they didn’t, they are incompetent and should be fired.

We can’t control what the Democrats do, but we should be able to control what the GOP does. We hear stories about this every year. The GOP hires these people and then they sit on their butts until election day, apparently.

NoDonkey on October 29, 2010 at 7:48 AM

ProudPalinFan on October 29, 2010 at 7:37 AM

She would be charged with “politicization of the military”. Not bad in all counts.

TheAlamos on October 29, 2010 at 7:50 AM

Not good bad in all counts.

TheAlamos on October 29, 2010 at 7:50 AM

My bad.

TheAlamos on October 29, 2010 at 7:51 AM

“Palin, the former Governor of CalifAlaska”–Chrissy Matthews.

maverick muse on October 29, 2010 at 7:53 AM

Geez, the ET video won’t quit playing!

maverick muse on October 29, 2010 at 7:54 AM

Sarah Palin is a conservative with good character who loves her country.

justltl on October 29, 2010 at 7:55 AM

Listening, I hear Palin say that so long as there’s a candidate out there running on conservative principles of common sense and The Constitution, she can play to her forte as their most loyal supporter. And if no one steps up to that plate, then of course she’ll do what others haven’t the cajones to commit.

Matthews/Huffington wouldn’t know what to do with themselves were Palin out of the picture. LOL, they’ll MAKE her a potus candidate whether she runs or not.

Is this the way it’s going to be the rest of our lives?”

maverick muse on October 29, 2010 at 7:58 AM

B Man on October 29, 2010 at 7:39 AM

Nope. Last Rasmussen poll -10, October 15. And it stopped.

By the way, I’m Demint boy. I believe it’s bad to say something against a decent Republican, except for that man who signed the twin of Obamacare. That’s personal to me. Sorry.

TheAlamos on October 29, 2010 at 8:06 AM

It’s not about the economy, it’s about LIBERTY. I’m going to make a prediction. The GOP, once the gain power, will temporarily cut some taxes, cut funding, etc. Same old, same old. THEY will create a third party.

Now is not the time for half-hearted, half-measures.

joshlbetts on October 29, 2010 at 8:16 AM

TheAlamos on October 29, 2010 at 8:06 AM

I’m not talking about a rasmussen gap; I’m talking about the Gallop gap. 55-40.

B Man on October 29, 2010 at 8:19 AM

Would the tea party still like Palin if McCain had won? Her job would have been to promote McCain’s agenda. The fact that she even accepted a position like that speaks volumes.

Not sure why the hatred of Rove. His job is to give his opinion. If you don’t like it, don’t take his advice. He has no authority or influence. Why waste energy on fighting with him?

NoStoppingUs on October 28, 2010 at 10:42 PM

Because if one of the “good ol’ boys club” that is buddies with him wins, he will take a job with that boy. Not happening with Sarah.

ProudPalinFan on October 29, 2010 at 8:19 AM

So, does Rove attacking Palin help her credibility in liberal lefty land?

The enemy of my enemy… (using ObamaSpeak.)

Fallon on October 29, 2010 at 8:24 AM

For me, I saw her against Joe Biden and she mopped the floor with his face. Joe was on his heels – and had to lie about his positions in order to deflect her attacks.

HondaV65 on October 28, 2010 at 10:54 PM

Were you here at HotAir when that happened? There were 500+ of us in the chatroom. We had a blast! I know it shattered the ratings for a VP debate; and lots of the channels at that hour.

ProudPalinFan on October 29, 2010 at 8:26 AM

awww…using a little Alinsky tactics. Niiiiiiice.

ramrants on October 29, 2010 at 12:13 AM

Heh, how about Lisa M’Alinsky?

onlineanalyst on October 29, 2010 at 8:26 AM

Sarah Palin is not a hill to die on. We don’t need another four years of Barack Obama. If Palin wants what is best for America, she won’t run for President or for Vice President.

NoDonkey on October 29, 2010 at 6:44 AM

Don’t worry about her ever being the VP candidate. There’s no reason for her to ever accept second banana ever again.

Lanceman on October 29, 2010 at 8:27 AM

Now is not the time for half-hearted, half-measures.

joshlbetts on October 29, 2010 at 8:16 AM

Great attitude.

Predict the new majority will be a failure, then that we’ll move on to a third party also assured to be a failure.

Don’t think like a loser. This country has been through far more difficult times than this.

NoDonkey on October 29, 2010 at 8:30 AM

eems to have worked for Lisa M,

unseen on October 29, 2010 at 7:42 AM

Maybe. But not so fast. Some conservatives did something horrible.

They asked all “Alaskans” to register as write-in candidate if they don’t agree with the court ruling.

Result? Miller-LuziszsssM fight can now be a candidate for the Guinness World Record for the longest list of candidates in any US Senate race.

TheAlamos on October 29, 2010 at 8:40 AM

A lot of the analysis shows that there’s not much understanding of the basis for the wave or what people are really saying. I’ve heard only 1 today that even gets it.

Definitely, Joe S. is lost. Doesn’t add up to the traditional thinkers.

AnninCA on October 29, 2010 at 8:42 AM

I agree with what Joe Scarbrough said this morning (I usually do not agree with him)..If Joe Miller gets thumped Tuesday Palin will not run..:)

Dire Straits on October 29, 2010 at 9:08 AM

This morning on the open thread at C4P, a very respected commenter answered Rove’s claim that Palin lacked gravitas.

Brian Berlieanus responded:

Mr. Rove, you questioned Sarah’s gravitas to hold the highest office in the land. What does gravitas mean, literally? It means “weightiness”: It is the weight of dignity and of majesty, the weight that tips the scales of combat to victory in the times that try the timber and mettle of the souls of men and of women and of nations. Its opposite is levitas, “lightness,” unsubstantiality.

In my view, to these veteran eyes of Berkeley, California that have seen and observed and pondered and reflected on many things through the turning and twisting and winding of the long, fateful years, it seems that there has rarely, if ever, been a more weighty figure in the life of America than Sarah Palin of Alaska.

Was she not filled with the majesty and weight of gravitas when, almost alone, she shattered the advance of obama’s “health-care” plans with the force and power of her truth-telling persona, and especially by the crucial coining of the brief yet all-expressive phrase “death panels”?

Was she not filled with the majesty and weight of gravitas when, almost alone, she rallied to the support of Constitutional conservative candidates up and down and across the beauteous length and breadth of this land of ours?

Was she not filled with the majesty and weight of gravitas when, almost alone, she lifted up and encouraged the spirits of Americans who had almost despaired that the United States could be dragged back from the abyss of statism to which obama and his “czars” and his minions were dragging her?

Was she not filled with the majesty and weight of gravitas when, almost alone, she fearlessly exposed obama, the “man behind the curtain,” the “Wizard of OS (OverSpending)” by fearlessly and gallantly challenging and confronting him, time after time after time?

Was she not filled with the majesty and weight of gravitas when, almost alone, she stood up to the “anointed one,” and brought down, yet again, the obloquy and fury of the Left by telling the simple truth about him and his lack of cojones?

Was she not filled with the majesty and weight of gravitas when, almost alone, she gave all patriots hope that America was not forever lost?

IS she not filled with the majesty and weight of gravitas as, almost alone, nay I shall say all alone, she goes about restoring simple faith and joy and happiness to the hearts and spirits of so many millions of Americans, not only by what she has done, said, written, and decided, but even more by just BEING WHO SHE IS: A lovely Northern Light from Alaska, a model and exemplar of the finest and best and noblest of America, whom we can treasure, imitate, revere, and love?

Mr. Rove, if this is not gravitas, then I know not where, in all the wide world, I shall find it!!

Need anyone say more?

NoNails on October 29, 2010 at 9:09 AM

I’m getting a little tired of this slandering of Karl Rove, just because he thought like many others that Christine O’Donnell was a bad candidate destined to lose a Senate seat that Republicans should be winning. If he thinks Sarah Palin is a bad candidate for President who will probably lose a winnable election in 2012, he is entitled to that opinion, and he has many good reasons to believe it.

I like Sarah Palin a lot and truly appreciate what she has done this year to excite conservatives. But I don’t think she can win a general election for President. That doesn’t make me a RINO, or a DC insider, or any of the other crap being slung at Rove these days.

You can “get” the Tea Party movement and the wave that is goping to happen next Tuesday, without being in the tank for Sarah Palin. It isn’t “her” movement, it’s “our” movement.

rockmom on October 29, 2010 at 9:16 AM

Rove better be prepared to jump on the Sarah band wagon or get run over by it. Saw COD on Hannity last night and she sounded great. Pointed out how Coons will benefit greatly by voting for cap&tax if he goes to DC. Always follow the money.

Kissmygrits on October 29, 2010 at 9:17 AM

rockmom on October 29, 2010 at 9:16 AM

Thread Winner..:)

Dire Straits on October 29, 2010 at 9:18 AM

Dire Straits on October 29, 2010 at 9:08 AM

I’m not so sure of that. It may strengthen her resolve to drain the septic tank.

NoNails on October 29, 2010 at 9:21 AM

rockmom on October 29, 2010 at 9:16 AM

Agree completely.

NoDonkey on October 29, 2010 at 9:29 AM

rockmom on October 29, 2010 at 9:16 AM

There’s a big difference between you and Rove … he’s got a soapbox, a big soapbox and he’s using it either to promote his candidates or harm the ones he doesn’t like. His actions with regard to O’Donnell were reprehensible. I lost respect for him after his O’Donnell attack, and now after his words concerning Palin I’ve written the clown off completely. He’s turned out to be self serving scum and we have enough of that in DC already.

darwin on October 29, 2010 at 9:30 AM

darwin on October 29, 2010 at 9:30 AM

What we need are more, not less truth tellers.

If he really felt that way about O’Donnell, he needed to say it.

Disregard what he said if you like. But this is a guy who built huge majorities for the Republicans.

If anything, we need more talk about the 2012 candidate. 2008 was a complete fiasco. Can’t wait until the primaries to start getting this done right.

NoDonkey on October 29, 2010 at 9:37 AM

What we need are more, not less truth tellers.

If he really felt that way about O’Donnell, he needed to say it.

NoDonkey on October 29, 2010 at 9:37 AM

What? You don’t come out against someone after the primary … you do it before. This clown was confident Castle would win and got so pissed after he lost that he attacked the legitimate winner.

We’re cleaning house and this dirtbag needs to ne taken out with the rest of the big government trash.

If he’s so concerned about the GOP he should keep his mouth shut, but no … he hides, like a furry little rodent under the guise of a “political analyst”.

darwin on October 29, 2010 at 9:45 AM

Maybe we’re all reading Rove wrong. Perhaps saying Sarah Palin lacks gravitas is his was of saying she doesn’t have a big butt like Michelle Obama.

bw222 on October 29, 2010 at 10:19 AM

NoDonkey on October 29, 2010 at 6:44 AM

Here we go again with this very suspicious, suspect argument that Sarah Palin should just stay away from the race altogether.

You are contradicting yourself.

If you truly believe that %80 of the country thinks Palin is a joke, that would include a majority of Republicans.

If you truly believe that there are multiple candidates who are so much better than the National Joke, why are you not confident that should she enter the primary race she will be utterly destroyed by said better candidates in short order, thank her supporters, endorse someone else and drop out before the Iowa Caucuses?

Should you not be eager for Sarah Palin to at last be in the arena, accountable to voters and the MSM, not hiding behind friendly Fox News and Facebook, exposed to hostility of the left and right, forced to put up or shut up?

Is this not the logical desire you should have so at last you can be proven correct, once and for all, without a doubt and come here and do the happy dance on Sarah Palin’s political grave?

If you really believe what you say you believe, why not go ahead and witness the spectacular celebrity supernova explosion, sweep away the debris, and get with the serious business of nominating a real candidate?

I call bullsh!t.

Brian1972 on October 29, 2010 at 11:03 AM

Or, to borrow a phrase, sorry boopsy, not buying it.

Brian1972 on October 29, 2010 at 11:04 AM

The are very few leaders who realize the many problems that face this nation and, more importantly, have the courage to face up to the challenges. Most would cave in to opponents, the media and political correctness.

Sarah Palin is one of the few who have that courage. So do Jim DeMint, Mike Pence, Michele Bachmann and Tom Price. So-called leaders like Romney, T-Paw, Cantor, etc. are squishes that will immediately cave.

bw222 on October 29, 2010 at 11:15 AM

I’m not a Palin hater or a Palin lover – I’m fairly indifferent – I’ve really never been strongly moved by her one way or the other. She strikes me as a fairly average politician with a slight tendency towards job hopping – but so are most politicians.

Why is it that I should love her, admire her, or desire for her to lead the party?

dieudonne on October 29, 2010 at 11:26 AM

rockmom on October 29, 2010 at 9:16 AM

It’s a little more than that. In the COD case, Rove went out of his way to attack COD after the primary, while not revealing what personal involvement he had with the primary election. He attacked COD over and over again on democratic party talking points which were very easy to counter, yet for all his political analysis skills he was unwilling to consider COD’s answer to the talking points. He has also been dead silent on many problems in Coons’s background.

Someone with Rove’s background should know better than to put together a prepackaged political ad for a democratic opponent candidate. He showed poor judgement and possibly an undisclosed conflict of interest. Fox News needs to order him to disclose his interests or go silent on the COD/Coons election.

slickwillie2001 on October 29, 2010 at 11:31 AM

I know we can all agree to disagree, but the vitriol and hatred towards the conservative woman running in various races is over the top.

I don’t know any of these woman personally so I would not demonize them, listen to their words not the filth the left is putting out there and draw your own conclusions.

Rove is part of the establishment we are trying to get rid of, THE GOOD OL BOYS CLUB.

As far as experience they all have as much or more as our great Pretender in chief

concernedsenior on October 29, 2010 at 11:34 AM

NoDonkey on October 29, 2010 at 6:44 AM

By all means, let’s nominate a Republican that will appease the Democrats. Maybe Lincoln Chaffee will be available.

We gotta go along to get along.

bw222 on October 29, 2010 at 11:57 AM

Dire Straits on October 29, 2010 at 9:08 AM

I completely disagree. If Miller loses, it’s all on him. The guy would have snatched defeat from the jaws of victory by his own actions–lying about past bad acts, hiring thugs to muscle reporters, hiding from the press….the list is extensive. He had a great bump coming out of the primary and just blew it himself.

howIroll on October 29, 2010 at 12:56 PM

howIroll on October 29, 2010 at 12:56 PM

I dunno..If she can’t push him across the finish line in Alaska..What does that say?..:)

Dire Straits on October 29, 2010 at 3:48 PM

Dire Straits on October 29, 2010 at 3:48 PM

That she’s not God? How likely was it several weeks back that Miller would even BE on the ballot?

ddrintn on October 29, 2010 at 5:05 PM

Rasmussen has Rossi UP now by one point.

Rossi has made up 3-4 points in a week. That’s a fact.
Holy —— sh!t the guy is gonna win this , I think.

B Man on October 29, 2010 at 7:19 AM

Rossi will need to win by more than 1%. King county will have 105% turnout.

clement on October 29, 2010 at 5:13 PM