Obamateurism of the Day

posted at 8:05 am on October 28, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Yesterday, Barack Obama met a group of five progressive bloggers at the White House. Obama has had some trouble getting his progressive base energized for the election, and so he wanted to personally reassure them that he considered himself an old-fashioned progressive:

President Obama told liberal blogger Oliver Willis he considers himself a progressive, Willis said after a meeting between the president and five progressive bloggers at the White House.

While nearly every member of the White House press corps also blogs, as do many of the favored columnists Obama has met with episodically during his time in office, this was the first meeting between Obama and this particular group of progressive bloggers and was being hailed on blogs as a sign the president is taking pains to reach out to the Democratic Party’s liberal base.

Also attending the meeting were Joe Sudbay of AMERICABlog, Barbara Morrill (better known by her handle, BarbinMD) of DailyKos, John Amato of Crooks & Liars, Duncan “Atrios” Black of eschaton and Willis of the eponymous OliverWillis.com.

That’s odd, thought Daniel Foster at National Review — didn’t Obama tell the other wing of the Democratic Party that he was one of them, too? Indeed, nineteen months ago:

President Barack Obama firmly resists ideological labels, but at the end of a private meeting with a group of moderate Democrats on Tuesday afternoon, he offered a statement of solidarity.

“I am a New Democrat,” he told the New Democrat Coalition, according to two sources at the White House session.

The group is comprised of centrist Democratic members of the House, who support free trade and a muscular foreign policy but are more moderate than the conservative Blue Dog Coalition.

Hey, by next week, he could be a Republican.

Comments

Progressive implies progress.

But the direction is wrong.

TimBuk3 on October 28, 2010 at 8:09 AM

In the hermetically sealed narcisstic egoist universe that is Barack Obama, he is EVERYMAN!

pilamaye on October 28, 2010 at 8:09 AM

I’ll be whatever you want me to be

the new post partisan presidency?

cmsinaz on October 28, 2010 at 8:11 AM

He’s a man for all seasons./

Disturb the Universe on October 28, 2010 at 8:12 AM

Hey, by next week, he could be a Republican.

perish the thought Ed

*shudder*

cmsinaz on October 28, 2010 at 8:13 AM

It’s really hard to stick with a particular personality, or position when you have no understanding who you actually are. His entire life is an invention of convenience. He is Odamna, the man for all people.

Slightly OT: Suntan Charlie Crist took a page from Odamna’s book on dissemblance, and he’s about to have his a$$ handed to him here in Florida.

Crusader Rabbit on October 28, 2010 at 8:14 AM

Didn’t he tell latino’s he was one of them last week? And the gays too?

ctmom on October 28, 2010 at 8:14 AM

Dave Barry used to run for President every election, on the “Whatever you believe, that’s what I believe in.” platform.

Nice to see that his comedy, which is not only funny, is also accurate.

Snake307 on October 28, 2010 at 8:15 AM

Is “New Democrat” like new math, where you use a ream of paper to get to the “answer” and then it’s just a estimate?

Cindy Munford on October 28, 2010 at 8:15 AM

I’ll be whatever you want me to be

Resigned and retired?

NoDonkey on October 28, 2010 at 8:16 AM

Resigned and retired?

NoDonkey on October 28, 2010 at 8:16 AM

No my friend; locked up and put away…

Keemo on October 28, 2010 at 8:18 AM

He put on his Everyman mask and enough people were conned by it to elect him. His mask has melted away and we are seeing the real Obama now. He’s trying to cover it back up, but the only mask that seems to fit anymore looks oddly like Stalin.

Extrafishy on October 28, 2010 at 8:20 AM

President Sybil.

sherry on October 28, 2010 at 8:21 AM

No my friend; locked up and put away…

Keemo on October 28, 2010 at 8:18 AM

Amen, Keemo, Amen. Note to barry next Wednesday…’We Won’

lukespapa on October 28, 2010 at 8:22 AM

No my friend; locked up and put away…

Keemo on October 28, 2010 at 8:18 AM

heh

cmsinaz on October 28, 2010 at 8:24 AM

A Democrat pandering to whomever he is in front of at the moment. Ho-hum. Not amateurish but typical.

Kafir on October 28, 2010 at 8:25 AM

Did this blow past everyone?

To Jon Stewart:

“We have done some things folks don’t even know about.”

Admitting to being a Sneak.

franksalterego on October 28, 2010 at 8:26 AM

Old fashion progressive? That is like saying old fashion KKK

Here is an old fashion nut job… The liberal wacko who tried to shove her ignorant sign through Rand Paul’s window, is caught lying to bathtub boy.

Nearly Nobody on October 28, 2010 at 8:26 AM

Hey, by next week, he could be a Republican.

Hey, by next week, he’ll wish he were Republican.

disa on October 28, 2010 at 8:27 AM

What size suit does Oliver Willis wear? 100 gallon trash bag?

Ian on October 28, 2010 at 8:28 AM

Mirror man.

tinkerthinker on October 28, 2010 at 8:28 AM

Admitting to being a Sneak.

franksalterego on October 28, 2010 at 8:26 AM

Saw this on F&F this morning and Gretchen was really astounded at this coming out of barry’s mouth. Maybe some lsm reporter will ask him about what these things are?

lukespapa on October 28, 2010 at 8:33 AM

Hey, by next week, he could be a Republican.

and the week following that, he’s Arlen Specter, or Charlie Crist and then he’d be in just the right company…

ted c on October 28, 2010 at 8:35 AM

That’s nothing Ed. In this post, I wrote that Tarryl Clark, during a debate with Michele Bachmann, suggested that Tarryl was the true conservative in the race.

LFRGary on October 28, 2010 at 8:35 AM

A Progressive, like the Progressive racist Woodrow Wilson?

So which half of Himself does Dear Liar hate?

rbj on October 28, 2010 at 8:39 AM

Typical politician. Will say anything to get what he wants but ignores the people he’s suppose to be serving.

mizflame98 on October 28, 2010 at 8:40 AM

Resigned and retired?

NoDonkey on October 28, 2010 at 8:16 AM
No my friend; locked up and put away…

Keemo on October 28, 2010 at 8:18 AM

I’ll settle for just gone…

ladyingray on October 28, 2010 at 8:40 AM

Addendum to my previous comment

franksalterego on October 28, 2010 at 8:43 AM

Hey, by next week, he could be a Republican.

Heh. Sounds more like a Hillary thing. (Can see it now: “No really! My uncle’s cousin’s aunt’s half-sister’s roommate’s dog groomer’s podiatrists sister was a Republican, too! So that practically makes me a Republican just like you….”)

apostic on October 28, 2010 at 8:44 AM

He’s a man for all seasons./

Disturb the Universe on October 28, 2010 at 8:12 AM

He’s a man for all seasons treasons.

garry on October 28, 2010 at 8:45 AM

I’ll settle for just gone…

ladyingray on October 28, 2010 at 8:40 AM

Nothing will ever change with our government and the puppet masters if we accept no accountability as policy. The machinery must be destroyed, and to accomplish this we must make the guilty talk openly under oath.

Keemo on October 28, 2010 at 8:46 AM

Keemo on October 28, 2010 at 8:46 AM

“I’ll swear on a stack of Korans . . . uh, wait, bibles! Bibles!”

NoDonkey on October 28, 2010 at 8:53 AM

It could have been a one sentence Obmateurism of the Day.

forest on October 28, 2010 at 8:53 AM

NoDonkey on October 28, 2010 at 8:53 AM

I can tell you this comrade; here in Montana all the people are talking about is repeal obamacare, and investigate every politician and every member of the MSM for criminal acts against the people. People are pissed off the likes of which I have never seen in my 57 years of life. Heads need to roll this time; no more softball spankings.

Keemo on October 28, 2010 at 8:57 AM

Hey, by next week, he could be a Republican.

Ed, that really made me laugh. I immediately conjured up an image of YOU and ACE sitting in a meeting with him! “No, really, I am a Republican.” You are trying to keep a straight face and then ACE pulls out the pudding cups, the flaming skull and Ewoks! Let the dipping begin!

Done That on October 28, 2010 at 9:01 AM

Hey Ed,

When are we going to hear your voice sitting in for the one and only on the EIB network?

Keemo on October 28, 2010 at 9:03 AM

Progressive mantra = our ends, by ANY means

pambi on October 28, 2010 at 9:06 AM

He is the perfect progressive…..

Obama exemplifies the progressive platform of using lies,hypocrisy,and corruption to push their agenda to perfection.

….Now that he is looking at lame duck status and a loss of his majority power……Obama wants to eliminate the filibuster……

…..every time he speaks now is just another trip down the rabbit hole.

Baxter Greene on October 28, 2010 at 9:07 AM

Progressive implies progress.

But the direction is wrong.

TimBuk3 on October 28, 2010 at 8:09 AM

Yes, things are getting Progressively worse.

VelvetElvis on October 28, 2010 at 9:07 AM

And the following week we’ll all laugh at what a RINO he is? I don’t think so, Ed.

rbendana on October 28, 2010 at 9:13 AM

I’m you.

Kissmygrits on October 28, 2010 at 9:39 AM

OMG!!! Sybil is the President?

capejasmine on October 28, 2010 at 9:55 AM

“As long has you pay me, I’ll be whoever you want me to be.”

Mr_Magoo on October 28, 2010 at 9:56 AM

Nearly Nobody on October 28, 2010 at 8:26 AM

And she did it with a straight face. Olberdouche unintentionally gave her enough opportunities to come clean, but she refused and even out and out lied. I know bathtub boy was not trying to be honest. He was simply allowing her to counter the accusations leveled against her with softball questions.

These people are despicable. Oh my Lord! I said “spic”! Am I a racist Olberdope?

csdeven on October 28, 2010 at 10:00 AM

Really, who knows who Mr. President is or what he really stands for. Folks within his own administration don’t even know who he is, and apparently neither does Jon Stewart.

scalleywag on October 28, 2010 at 10:00 AM

“Hey, by next week, he could be a Republican.”

-Ed.

Heck, by next week he’ll wish he had never seen a Republican. :-)

coldwarrior on October 28, 2010 at 10:05 AM

OT: Tom Dart, Cook County Sheriff has dropped out of the Chicago Mayoral Race, leaving Rahm Emmanuel essentially unopposed?

Now, what other Chicago politician won a seat because all of his opponents either dropped out or were somehow disqualified?

coldwarrior on October 28, 2010 at 10:16 AM

Did this blow past everyone?

To Jon Stewart:

“We have done some things folks don’t even know about.”
Admitting to being a Sneak.

franksalterego on October 28, 2010 at 8:26 AM

I saw that on the news this morning. My whole body literally shuddered. This man really scares the he!! out of me. I can’t believe, for all the bloviating Matthews, and others do, about Republicans turning America back to 1930′s Germany, yet totally ignore a statement like that, coming from the POTUS, is just incredible.

It’s amazing they don’t see what’s coming from their own party. But I guess in their minds, if it comes from them, it must be right. *sigh*

capejasmine on October 28, 2010 at 10:16 AM

coldwarrior on October 28, 2010 at 10:16 AM

Hmmmmmm. Knowing what we know about liberals, Obama, and his buddies….I’d guess this guy was threatened. Quit, or you will pay.

capejasmine on October 28, 2010 at 10:24 AM

Had Barry been in a room full of women, he’d have said “I’m one of you.”

If Barry is anything, he’s flexible.

GarandFan on October 28, 2010 at 10:26 AM

New Democrat = Old Marxist

Who knew?

Sponge on October 28, 2010 at 11:30 AM

And the gays too?

ctmom on October 28, 2010 at 8:14 AM

This I could believe. It would explain so many things.

Keemo on October 28, 2010 at 8:57 AM

Was in an antique store in Bismarck last week & 2 ladies were ripping Obamacare right there at the till.
Went to the mall, a bunch of guys about 25-30 were ripping it outside Victoria Secret.
Went to Sam’s Club- some old folks there were ripping on it by the frozen foods.
Went to WalMart-didn’t hear anything bcs it was full of Native American Indians from SD & mexicans from who knows where.
But I did see a white woman in a Tea Party shirt.
Us North Dakotans-such racists!

Badger40 on October 28, 2010 at 11:35 AM

Progressive implies progress.

But the direction is wrong.

TimBuk3 on October 28, 2010 at 8:09 AM

It is such a clever, devious naming. Who doesn’t want ‘progress’? ‘Socialist’ lost its magic in the forties, so they had to find something else.

slickwillie2001 on October 28, 2010 at 11:49 AM

If people would judge Obama by his actions instead of by what he says, there would be no confusion. He’s obviously a progressive. All other claims are just for political purposes.

tom on October 28, 2010 at 3:22 PM