Lefty gossip site somehow unites entire blogosphere behind Christine O’Donnell

posted at 8:53 pm on October 28, 2010 by Allahpundit

I’m not linking the post — read Michelle’s take instead — but this is worth blogging anyway for the unusual degree of bipartisan contempt directed at the “scoop” in question. It’s not quite the entire blogosphere that’s cringing, but … it’s pretty close, including former Gawker editors, Media Matters fellows, and feminist bloggers. Even Donna Brazile has the dry heaves over it. Not a single word of any of the criticism will make Denton and Gawker think twice before doing it again to someone else, but don’t let that stop you from recognizing the good intentions of their critics. In fact, so disgusting is this story that even NOW has lowered the boom:

NOW repudiates Gawker’s decision to run this piece. It operates as public sexual harassment. And like all sexual harassment, it targets not only O’Donnell, but all women contemplating stepping into the public sphere.

NOW/PAC has proudly endorsed women’s rights champion Chris Coons, O’Donnell’s opponent in the Delaware Senate race, and finds O’Donnell’s political positions dangerous for women. That does not mean it’s acceptable to use slut-shaming against her, or any woman.

NOW has repeatedly called out misogyny against women candidates, and this election season is no different. Let me be honest: I look forward to seeing Christine O’Donnell defeated at the polls, but this kind of sexist attack is an affront to all women, and I won’t stand for it.

Dave Weigel summed things up nicely on Twitter this afternoon. Exit question: Is Delaware media going to cover this? If so, how?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

was really surprised to see this pop up on 2 separate times on the tech site gizmodo.com

offroadaz on October 28, 2010 at 8:58 PM

Stay classy left wing nutjobs. I cant wait for next wednesday

MyImamToldMeToDoIt on October 28, 2010 at 8:58 PM

I can’t believe NOW actually came forward. WOW!

ramrants on October 28, 2010 at 9:00 PM

The article is wacko.

O’Donnell’s politics is dangerous to women but Coons’ supporters now doing a dangerous things to a woman named O’Donnell.

Circular Reference Link error in sh’tty MS Excel and totally ILLOGICAL!

TheAlamos on October 28, 2010 at 9:00 PM

Christine O’Donnell is a flawed candidate who shouldn’t have run because Mike Castle had a better chance to win against Coons and now she’s ruined the GOP’s chances of taking the Senate so she’s a poopy head and all those who support her are idiot troll fools who want to purge RINOs from the GOP and and and…you suck, Christine!

/Good Lt
/MadCon
/JohnGalt23
/keep the change
/et al

/thread

fossten on October 28, 2010 at 9:01 PM

The lines are there, but some just think they’re above reproach, and repeatedly cross them.

It’s nice to see, that at some point, some people will stand up for what’s right, for a change.

capejasmine on October 28, 2010 at 9:01 PM

This is why we don’t need conservatives to complain about Christine O’Donnell “tarnishing the conservative brand.” When the smoke clears, lefties will do plenty of damage to themselves with their lies; sometimes discretion is the better part of valor.

gryphon202 on October 28, 2010 at 9:02 PM

The only reason some Dems are acting outraged now is because O’Donnell is going to lose by 15 points or so. If she was tied or ahead they would be loving this.

Mark1971 on October 28, 2010 at 9:03 PM

I can’t believe NOW actually came forward. WOW!

ramrants on October 28, 2010 at 9:00 PM

They only did because they think they have the race in the bag. Just like they only said they LOOOOVE Hillary Clinton after she conceded to Obama.

NOW stands for nothing.

lansing quaker on October 28, 2010 at 9:03 PM

headlines from gizmodo

Why You Care About Christine O’Donnell Getting To Third Base
So here’s the deal: One time Christine O’Donnell got drunk and made out with a dude. They didn’t do it, BUT STILL.

and

I Had a One-Night Stand With Christine O’Donnell
Three years ago this week, an intoxicated Christine O’Donnell showed up at the apartment of a 25-year-old Philadelphian and ended up spending the night in his bed. Here’s his story—and photos—of his escapade with the would-be Delaware senator.

classy

offroadaz on October 28, 2010 at 9:03 PM

I sent this in today, but have y’all seen O’Donnell’s little FINGER SNAP during a radio interview earlier? Can’t quite make out why she did that…

JetBoy on October 28, 2010 at 9:04 PM

Exit question: Is Delaware media going to cover this?

Delaware has a media?

Kini on October 28, 2010 at 9:04 PM

AP: Are you still posting on Twitter? I haven’t seen you in some time?

d1carter on October 28, 2010 at 9:05 PM

offroadaz on October 28, 2010 at 8:58 PM

Same here.

Oh well, there are other tech blogs out there.

Slublog on October 28, 2010 at 9:07 PM

Wow. Hadn’t seen this story until now…Gawker’s editors are nothing but smear merchants.

changer1701 on October 28, 2010 at 9:08 PM

In fact, so disgusting is this story that even NOW has lowered the boom:

Ok, so now the threshold of outrage has been set.

ted c on October 28, 2010 at 9:08 PM

If this race was close, none of the Leftist media would even touch this.

Which tells me she’s either way up, or way down.

Now which is more likely?

JohnGalt23 on October 28, 2010 at 9:08 PM

Is my conservative cred shot if I was loose in the 70′s? I’m just askin’…

disa on October 28, 2010 at 9:08 PM

JetBoy on October 28, 2010 at 9:04 PM

She doesn’t have the gravitas to be a Senator. It’s sad she’s right now in the same league as Rossi, Fiorina and Ayotte.

TimTebowSavesAmerica on October 28, 2010 at 9:09 PM

Gizmodo is owned by Gawker I think.

Mark1971 on October 28, 2010 at 9:09 PM

and what’s the name of that rally on Saturday…
?

hmmm

ted c on October 28, 2010 at 9:09 PM

The left are not smart, not classy, not refined.

Impertinence is indignant.

This is the D party – take note America.

Schadenfreude on October 28, 2010 at 9:09 PM

“Repeatedly?” Color me skeptical.

Is Delaware media going to cover this? If so, how?

The real question is, does DE media even know about this?

davidk on October 28, 2010 at 9:11 PM

Restoring Sanity, one hit piece at a time.

RedRedRice on October 28, 2010 at 9:12 PM

Charming.

Does this happen to progressive women running for office?

tru2tx on October 28, 2010 at 9:12 PM

dude, we’re watching Rocky right now…

Balboa just went 15 rds with Creed…

awesome.

ted c on October 28, 2010 at 9:13 PM

/Good Lt
/MadCon
/JohnGalt23
/keep the change
/et al

/thread

fossten on October 28, 2010 at 9:01 PM

Uh oh – the list is back!

Watch out, folks. Fossten is making a list, and he’ll…um…hurl invectives at you if you criticize COD in any way.

Good Lt on October 28, 2010 at 9:13 PM

Why is it that every time I go to a Twitter comment linked in a story, I can’t get back to HotAir? I have to close it up and reopen the window.

Cindy Munford on October 28, 2010 at 9:13 PM

In fact, so disgusting is this story that even NOW has lowered the boom:

Is anyone really stupid enough to buy into the National Organization of Whores criticizing this because of the content?

They’re just trying to look reasonable after rushing to endorse Brown after that tape was released.

malclave on October 28, 2010 at 9:13 PM

Well, O’Donnell did say she was against masturbation at one point (just making an asinine ‘explanation’).

So when do the upskirt photos come out? It is about all that is missing in the new tabloid politics.

Seriously, I think some of these attacks are simply due to the fact that she is cute.

GnuBreed on October 28, 2010 at 9:14 PM

Went to read the story.

I thought Bob Guccione died along with Penthouse forum

Kini on October 28, 2010 at 9:14 PM

TimTebowSavesAmerica on October 28, 2010 at 9:09 PM

I’m actually a bit surprised to hear you say that…And I totally agree with you. If she wins this and goes to DC, they’re going to eat her up alive.

JetBoy on October 28, 2010 at 9:14 PM

Read the Gawker piece….made me feel sorry for her. Uh, is that what he was going for?

terryannonline on October 28, 2010 at 9:14 PM

Jack Tapper tweeted this earlier:

Gawker just gifted the O’Donnell campaign 30 Dewey Beach voters

Christine was already going to win by 9 points. This will blow the race out of the water.

People are sick of this crap.

gary4205 on October 28, 2010 at 9:14 PM

/Good Lt
/MadCon
/JohnGalt23
/keep the change
/et al

/thread

fossten on October 28, 2010 at 9:01 PM

You may has well add me to that list…

JetBoy on October 28, 2010 at 9:15 PM

Good Lt on October 28, 2010 at 9:13 PM

Wow. Imade Fossten’s list.

I’d like to thank the Academy…

JohnGalt23 on October 28, 2010 at 9:15 PM

I have to close it up and reopen the window.

Cindy Munford on October 28, 2010 at 9:13 PM

Don’t know if your browser supports bookmark tabs, but I just click on my HA bookmark and refresh the page.

Kini on October 28, 2010 at 9:15 PM

Gawker is really in the throes of something. The other day they published this. When I emailed the author of the post, Hamilton Nolan, about it, he basically said he was just posting what Nick Denton ordered him to write and suggested that I email Nick Denton directly about it, which I did. I suggest people let Denton know what they think about this O’Donnell story. It’s nick@gawker.com

cynccook on October 28, 2010 at 9:16 PM

Deadspin was always the only Gawker Network site worth a damn, and that ended when Leitch left for greener pastures.

Though I will say, some of the comments on Jezebel are just hilariously stupid.

Good Solid B-Plus on October 28, 2010 at 9:16 PM

Went to read the story.

I thought Bob Guccione died along with Penthouse forum

Kini on October 28, 2010 at 9:14 PM

Bob Guccione would have used that letter after eating 4-alarm chili.

JohnGalt23 on October 28, 2010 at 9:17 PM

You may has well add me to that list…

JetBoy on October 28, 2010 at 9:15 PM

Yeah, but you only wanted Castle to win the primary because he’s such a dreamboat….*sigh*.

Good Solid B-Plus on October 28, 2010 at 9:17 PM

I think the guys at Hillbuzz are right. I think there are internal polling data floating around showing O’Donnell in the lead.

ddrintn on October 28, 2010 at 9:18 PM

if you criticize COD in any way.

Good Lt on October 28, 2010 at 9:13 PM

Oh shut up

CWforFreedom on October 28, 2010 at 9:18 PM

ddrintn on October 28, 2010 at 9:18 PM

Well that’s the only way that any of this Democrat behavior makes any sense to me.

gryphon202 on October 28, 2010 at 9:19 PM

I believe O’Donnell sins are no more worse than the other whores already in office.

I hope it helps her chances of winning.

Kini on October 28, 2010 at 9:19 PM

So the gawker story is about 2 dudes who never had sex with o’donnell?

Wow.

lorien1973 on October 28, 2010 at 9:20 PM

fossten on October 28, 2010 at 9:01 PM

Sorry, but I’m not single.

Good grief. NOW can’t keep their stories straight. Either it’s all right to call Republican female politicians sluts*coughJerryBrowncough*, or it’s not. Which is it?

Meanwhile, Gawker still sticks to its fantastic standard of being at the same level as Perez Hilton.

MadisonConservative on October 28, 2010 at 9:21 PM

Oh shut up

CWforFreedom on October 28, 2010 at 9:18 PM

Name the party.

MadisonConservative on October 28, 2010 at 9:21 PM

JetBoy on October 28, 2010 at 9:14 PM

Are you insane. (don’t bother answering, we already know)

Aren’t you the cat that said Charlie Crist was Teh Won? And you have credibility why?

O’Donnell has held her own quite well. She’s kicked Coons hard in the debates, even though she’s had to debate Coons AND the moderators.

I don’t think she even knows what the phrase “being intimidated” means. BTW, Coons backed out of their last scheduled debate.

That’s not what a winner does.

gary4205 on October 28, 2010 at 9:22 PM

Oh shut up

CWforFreedom on October 28, 2010 at 9:18 PM

YOu just made the list. Be afraid.

Good Lt on October 28, 2010 at 9:22 PM

Another example of The Messiah bringing people together.

TedInATL on October 28, 2010 at 9:22 PM

JetBoy on October 28, 2010 at 9:04 PM

Clearly the radio host was, um…preparing to jump on her and molest her or something.

MadisonConservative on October 28, 2010 at 9:23 PM

YOu just made the list. Be afraid.

Good Lt on October 28, 2010 at 9:22 PM

No, he was telling you to shut up. Because that’s how “conservatives” defend their candidates, or something.

MadisonConservative on October 28, 2010 at 9:24 PM

I had no idea that O’Donnell had never been married. Not that it matters in anyway.

terryannonline on October 28, 2010 at 9:24 PM

MadisonConservative on October 28, 2010 at 9:21 PM

You have a problem with the terminology. That’s why you don’t understand.

It’s perfectly all right to call someone a whore. Unacceptable to call them a slut.

The difference: Whores charge money.

JohnGalt23 on October 28, 2010 at 9:25 PM

terryannonline on October 28, 2010 at 9:14 PM

Yeah that Halloween night seems like a tough place to have been in her life. She comes across as having had something traumatic happen during her boozy college days.

dedalus on October 28, 2010 at 9:26 PM

MadisonConservative on October 28, 2010 at 9:24 PM

I know.

That’s pretty much been the case I’ve been presented about this candidate.

And yes, this Gawker crap is really disgusting, off-putting and, sadly, predictable.

Good Lt on October 28, 2010 at 9:27 PM

You have a problem with the terminology. That’s why you don’t understand.

The difference: Whores charge money.

JohnGalt23 on October 28, 2010 at 9:25 PM

I thought both were empowering, assuming they get abortions afterwards and don’t, you know, make any effort to avoid killing the kid.

MadisonConservative on October 28, 2010 at 9:27 PM

I can’t believe NOW actually came forward. WOW!

ramrants on October 28, 2010 at 9:00 PM

Since NOW’s first reaction was to “have no comment”…I tend to think that they finally DID issue a critique of Gawker’s/Denton’s sleazy “story” by “anonymous” is simply NOW responding to what they later saw was “popular” to do: respond, condemn the sleaze.

But their first reaction was the truth about who they are: to have “no comment” about the sleaze, because O’Donnell isn’t a Liberal.

NOW is simply clawing at some credibility that they long ago lost. Their first reaction was the truth about the organization.

Lourdes on October 28, 2010 at 9:29 PM

Good Lt on October 28, 2010 at 9:27 PM

Yeah…this is the journalistic equivalent of posting a picture of her with a penis photoshopped next to her face.

MadisonConservative on October 28, 2010 at 9:30 PM

Are you insane. (don’t bother answering, we already know)

That’s not what a winner does.

gary4205 on October 28, 2010 at 9:22 PM

My sanity certainly is questionable…no doubt. And I have repeatedly admitted I was totally wrong about Crist. I did my penance on that one. But being wrong once taught me some valuable lessons. My apologies if I’m not perfect.

I’m not even talking about her ability to beat Coons or not…She’s simply out of her league here as a potential Senator.

JetBoy on October 28, 2010 at 9:33 PM

Gawker’s editors are nothing but smear merchants.

changer1701 on October 28, 2010 at 9:08 PM

Lourdes on October 28, 2010 at 9:33 PM

MadisonConservative on October 28, 2010 at 9:27 PM

Well, I guess the lesson to take away is:

If you’re good at something, don’t do it for free.

JohnGalt23 on October 28, 2010 at 9:34 PM

Smoking Gun identifying the tools that sold this “story”

stldave on October 28, 2010 at 9:27 PM

Dude is ugly.

terryannonline on October 28, 2010 at 9:34 PM

Saw it earlier, i really hope the guy who wrote it gets outed and has some chick come forward to say he’s impotent.

clearbluesky on October 28, 2010 at 9:34 PM

I am on record that she is a nut, but this can be anybody’s sister. This guy who did this should be tarred and feathered.

Chudi on October 28, 2010 at 9:34 PM

So the gawker story is about 2 dudes who never had sex with o’donnell?

Wow.

lorien1973 on October 28, 2010 at 9:20 PM

Or anyone else probably. And this certainly won’t help their chances.

Cindy Munford on October 28, 2010 at 9:34 PM

GnuBreed on October 28, 2010 at 9:14 PM

No, it’s because she’s a Conservative, and a Christian who seems dedicated sincerely to her Christian understanding of morality.

Lourdes on October 28, 2010 at 9:36 PM

She’s simply out of her league here as a potential Senator.

JetBoy on October 28, 2010 at 9:33 PM

So who’s setting the standard of the senatorial league? Graham? Grassley? Nelson? Boxer?

ddrintn on October 28, 2010 at 9:38 PM

By this time next week O’Donnell will be forgotten. Castle probably stunk but now we will be stuck with a Marxist for 6 years. Rove shouldn’t have trashed her in public, but I have to admit he was right about this one.

echosyst on October 28, 2010 at 9:38 PM

GnuBreed on October 28, 2010 at 9:14 PM

Lourdes on October 28, 2010 at 9:36 PM

Yeah. Why isn’t Gillibrand attacked in the same way? She’s cute.

ddrintn on October 28, 2010 at 9:39 PM

/Good Lt
/MadCon
/JohnGalt23
/keep the change
/et al

/thread

fossten on October 28, 2010 at 9:01 PM

Impressive. Are you a 12th semister third grader?

bw222 on October 28, 2010 at 9:39 PM

This guy who did this should be tarred and feathered.

Chudi on October 28, 2010 at 9:34 PM

This is an ugly case of bullying done by homosexuals against a Christian female. By “anonymous” and by Denton (take your pick). At the essence of things, that’s what it is and by whom.

Lourdes on October 28, 2010 at 9:39 PM

JetBoy on October 28, 2010 at 9:33 PM

I do hafta hand it to JB on this one. You were a great sport during that whole ordeal and really demonstrated that you were willing to take a position, stand on it, then say you were wrong. I have a lot of respect for you for that whole hat episode. Moreover, it was funny as hell.

ted c on October 28, 2010 at 9:40 PM

ddrintn on October 28, 2010 at 9:18 PM

gryphon202 on October 28, 2010 at 9:19 PM

I lean toward agreeing with you all.

Only other thing it could possibly be is that the Left wants to beat her down badly. They think things will be so bad everywhere else for them Tuesday night, they want to win a high profile race they can point to and spin for O-blah-blah

Marybeth on October 28, 2010 at 9:40 PM

Yeah. Why isn’t Gillibrand attacked in the same way? She’s cute. hot.

ddrintn on October 28, 2010 at 9:39 PM

dude, c’mon, keep up willya.

ted c on October 28, 2010 at 9:41 PM

Cowardly, really. The dude recounts an entire episode, quite favorable toward himself, cuts his own face out of pics but posts pics of O’Donnell?

So disgusting.

Bee on October 28, 2010 at 9:41 PM

echosyst on October 28, 2010 at 9:38 PM

Take solace…

The term is only for four years.

JohnGalt23 on October 28, 2010 at 9:41 PM

Good Lt on October 28, 2010 at 9:27 PM

True that. Though, in a few years nearly everyone running for office will have complete photo documentation of every stupid drunken act from their youth. It won’t take Gawker, just Zuckerberg to ensure everyone sees it.

Even in 2010 we have a woman running for congress while photos are all over the web of her sucking on a d1ldo.

At some point, probably, voters will just discount it.

dedalus on October 28, 2010 at 9:41 PM

Impressive. Are you a 12th semister third grader?

bw222 on October 28, 2010 at 9:39 PM

No, he’s accurately describing the same trolls commenting on every Christine O’Donnell thread posted.

sharrukin on October 28, 2010 at 9:42 PM

She was GREAT on Hannity!

kareyk on October 28, 2010 at 9:43 PM

Good Lt on October 28, 2010 at 9:27 PM

And all O’Donnell’s fault, of course. Don’t forget that.

ddrintn on October 28, 2010 at 9:44 PM

the National Organization of Whores exists to slander conservative women and kill potential liberal babies. Kinda like when you’re a conservative black your an uncle tom and that gives the SEIU thugs the right to beat the crap out of them.

toongoon on October 28, 2010 at 9:45 PM

She’s simply out of her league here as a potential Senator.

JetBoy on October 28, 2010 at 9:33 PM

Seems an entirely arrogant, condescending thing to state…with a dose of sexism thrown in.

I think at the heart of things is moreso that you loathe her values.

Lourdes on October 28, 2010 at 9:45 PM

Bee on October 28, 2010 at 9:41 PM

Gawker stinks. They refused my article about that threesome I had with Megan Fox and Lily Cole that I absolutely 100% did not completely fabricate.

Good Solid B-Plus on October 28, 2010 at 9:45 PM

If only Coons pulls a Jack Conway and uses something like this in an attack ad… O’Donnell would be a lock to win. What a particularly sorry batch of liberals/Democrats we have this year.

Bill R on October 28, 2010 at 9:46 PM

ddrintn on October 28, 2010 at 9:38 PM

Give me a break. Compare her to Kelly Ayotte and get back to me. COD is so far below Ayotte that it’s a travesty that COD gets more press than Ayotte, who is frankly VP material.

TimTebowSavesAmerica on October 28, 2010 at 9:47 PM

She was GREAT on Hannity!

kareyk on October 28, 2010 at 9:43 PM

Yes, yes she was (just watched the appearance on Hannity).

The people who are looking incompetent at this hour regards O’Donnell are Karl Rove (to my ongoing horror, he continues to be emotionally vaklempt about O’Donnell and it’s needless and self-defeating) and that List up above in these comments.

Lourdes on October 28, 2010 at 9:47 PM

ted c on October 28, 2010 at 9:40 PM

Thank you sir!

JetBoy on October 28, 2010 at 9:47 PM

I live in DE, and I wholeheartedly support COD.

She will make a fine Senator.

davidk on October 28, 2010 at 9:47 PM

She’s simply out of her league here as a potential Senator.

JetBoy on October 28, 2010 at 9:33 PM

I think at the heart of things is moreso that you loathe her values.

Lourdes on October 28, 2010 at 9:45 PM

It’s certainly a puzzling thing to say, considering that the “league” hasn’t been all that impressive. I’d hope not to be in the same league as Boxer.

ddrintn on October 28, 2010 at 9:47 PM

TimTebowSavesAmerica on October 28, 2010 at 9:47 PM

Oooh, hiss-hiss, cat-scratching, hiss, boa flung over the shoulder, hiss-hiss, leatha’.

Lourdes on October 28, 2010 at 9:48 PM

I lean toward agreeing with you all.

Marybeth on October 28, 2010 at 9:40 PM

I think it’s more about making an example of a Tea Partier. There’s too many others poised to win. They want to take a loser and demolish her, and try to intimidate other TPers who might try to run.

That, combined with just raw, unadulterated rage…that is only going to get worse as we approach 2012. If you think Palin went through a lot of hell last time…if she runs, she’s going to be in serious danger.

MadisonConservative on October 28, 2010 at 9:48 PM

At some point, probably, voters will just discount it.

dedalus on October 28, 2010 at 9:41 PM

Depends. If it’s pictures from years ago when the candidate was a 22 year old, like in Ball’s case, they’ll likely discount it. So I agree that the mass of college party photos from Facebook shouldn’t be a huge detriment for potential future candidates.

Good Solid B-Plus on October 28, 2010 at 9:49 PM

TimTebowSavesAmerica on October 28, 2010 at 9:47 PM

How do you know? Ayotte hasn’t served a day in the Senate yet, and you’re already making her VP.

ddrintn on October 28, 2010 at 9:49 PM

TimTebowSavesAmerica on October 28, 2010 at 9:47 PM

What’s with you using Tim Tebow’s name, though?

Lourdes on October 28, 2010 at 9:49 PM

MSNBC and CNN will have a sustained orgasm after the DE numbers come in Tuesday night. Then they’ll be slackjawed and weeping for the next four hours.

Heckuva job trashing this girl, lefties. You’ve set media standards and your own credibility back only a couple of centuries. Good luck trying to get it back, you effing douchebags.

JammieWearingFool on October 28, 2010 at 9:49 PM

I think at the heart of things is moreso that you loathe her values.

Lourdes on October 28, 2010 at 9:45 PM

Yeah, because the sexism was clear by his complete failure to mention her sex, jackass.

And don’t even try to pretend that you haven’t judged many, many others to be poor candidates for public office.

MadisonConservative on October 28, 2010 at 9:50 PM