Bombshell: Meek almost dropped out and endorsed Crist — twice

posted at 7:02 pm on October 28, 2010 by Allahpundit

Remember that Daily Caller story a few days ago about mysterious chitchat between Crist and Meek? Well, mystery solved.

Alternate headline: “Blogger wets pants.”

Bill Clinton sought to persuade Rep. Kendrick Meek to drop out of the race for Senate during a trip to Florida last week — and nearly succeeded…

Clinton campaigned with Meek in Florida on October 19 and 20, and thought he had won Meek over in an evening conversation the night they spent together in Jacksonville. But as the week wore on, Meek lost his enthusiasm for the arrangement, spurred in part, a third Democratic source said, by his wife’s belief that he could still win the race. Clinton spoke with Meek again at week’s end, three Democrats said, and again Meek said he would drop out…

The Crist, Meek and Clinton camps even set a date for an endorsement rally: the following Tuesday, October 26. Meek was to give Crist his blessing and explain to his disappointed supporters — many of whom deeply distrust the governor, who was elected as a Republican — that their votes could save the Senate for the Democrats and save America from the rise of Rubio, who is viewed both as a hard-line conservative and a potential national figure…

“Not being seen as a quitter was more important than stopping someone who was so opposed to what you and your party had stood for,” said one Democrat who had been hoping to close the deal.

Allegedly the White House “had knowledge” of what was going on but didn’t instigate it. If you follow the link up top, you’ll see that Clinton’s own spokesman has confirmed the discussions between him and Meek about quitting, which must mean that the Democratic leadership is now all but officially abandoning Meek and encouraging his supporters to switch to Crist. There’s no other reason to sandbag the guy by revealing his doubts about the race with the election just days away, and the fact that Team Clinton is willing to go on the record about it means that they’re eager for Meek voters to take this story very, very seriously. In fact, they’re probably hoping that if a huge media storm erupts about this tomorrow in Florida, Meek might reverse course again and endorse Crist over the weekend. Which, coupled with two new polls showing Crist within seven points of Rubio (likely due to some of Meek’s voters starting to abandon him for strategic reasons), means … this may suddenly become a race again.

Eeyoreblogger pessimism status check: Robust. Exit question: Meek’s wife thinks he can still win the race? What?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

No, I’m not saying Rubio is in for 2012 or anything.

As a national figure in the Senate, he will get national coverage. Hispanics can relate to him easier, he blows up the liberals identity politics with them just like Palin does with women. Same threat, different identity block.

The libs are playing longball, and Crist is only in it for his own ass. Makes me angry just thinking about it.

Yeah Rubio is great with all people, I’m just pointing out how the Democrats are looking at this.

Crist is incidental, they don’t give a crap about him, he is just a means to an end. A tool to swing at Rubio’s kneecaps.

Brian1972 on October 28, 2010 at 7:37 PM

I say, let him run if that’s what he decides and if no constitutional requirements that limit him (age and birth right). PRIMARIES SHOULD BE OPEN TO EVERYONE.

Let us denounce Rovian mentality.

TheAlamos on October 28, 2010 at 7:53 PM

I don’t buy this. This doesn’t help Hillary in 2012.

ladyingray on October 28, 2010 at 7:53 PM

Anyone here that is in Florida?

I’m curious how this is playing there with the voters.

tru2tx on October 28, 2010 at 7:54 PM

Shirley Crist is the Pig of the 2010 election.

Jackson/Sharpton, defending blacks/Meek…

Obama is afraid that Rubio will run against him. That w/b an eagle against a turkey.

How dumb can voters be, if they fall for all this?

Schadenfreude on October 28, 2010 at 7:54 PM

Allen West – the Gang Member.
Clarence Thomas – Uncle Tom, the womanizer
Kenneth Gladney

MeatHeadinCA on October 28, 2010 at 7:52 PM

All those flower pickers that Joy thinks won’t be voting for Sharron Angle (because they’re stuck on the shrinking Democrat porch)

ted c on October 28, 2010 at 7:55 PM

Slick Willie is composed of 9/10 snake oil. No comment on the remaining 10 percent – ugh.

Philly on October 28, 2010 at 7:10 PM

I so want to comment on that, but I’d be banned wth no posibility of parole. and Allah would blow up my computer.

katy the mean old lady on October 28, 2010 at 7:57 PM

Kini on October 28, 2010 at 7:38 PM

I understand the politics of the move but the fact that anyone would trust Crist is astounding to me. Mr. Meek would be loyal, Crist is going where ever the wind blows.

Cindy Munford on October 28, 2010 at 7:57 PM

I can’t believe Clinton’s camp is releasing this information.

MayBee on October 28, 2010 at 7:04 PM

Are you kidding? Who do they hate the most?

Vashta.Nerada on October 28, 2010 at 7:41 PM

Not Hillary.

Hil in 2012!!!

ladyingray on October 28, 2010 at 7:58 PM

It is stuff like this, at what Bill is doing for Obama, that has me conflicted with the Hillbuzz letter.

Wasn’t Hillary a fan of Alinsky too? Did she not write her college thesis on the man?

How much of an opportunist is Bill, today? Hillary? Is she as well? Is there validity to her making a run in 2012? If she felt the same as her supporters did, and do….why on earth did she go to work in Obuttheads administration?

My head hurts now.

capejasmine on October 28, 2010 at 7:58 PM

tru2tx on October 28, 2010 at 7:54 PM

I’m in Northern Florida but it’s too early to tell how it’s playing.

Cindy Munford on October 28, 2010 at 7:58 PM

ted c on October 28, 2010 at 7:55 PM

Hey, they may not even vote… Gloria All-Red will be stuffing the ballot boxes with their names and threaten to blab her mouth if they complain.

MeatHeadinCA on October 28, 2010 at 7:58 PM

They had to have more than “knowledge” of it. The Obama White House had to determine what would be offered to Meek to step aside–a czarship or other appointment in the Obama administration? Bill was the broker, that’s all. Nobody thinks that Bill went down there with a promise in the Hillary administration, if she is ever elected, right?

DrStock on October 28, 2010 at 7:59 PM

I’m curious how this is playing there with the voters.

tru2tx on October 28, 2010 at 7:54 PM

Not well.People actually like Meeks. I like him. Nice guy,but don’t share his views.

katy the mean old lady on October 28, 2010 at 8:00 PM

Let us denounce Rovian mentality.

TheAlamos on October 28, 2010 at 7:53 PM

Did I say he should not run? No, I didn’t.

I just don’t expect he will, not in 2012 anyway.

But later on, the Democrats are certainly thinking about the possibility…..

Brian1972 on October 28, 2010 at 8:00 PM

Latinos and blacks, vote Rubio – you’re being had.

Schadenfreude on October 28, 2010 at 8:00 PM

why on earth did she go to work in Obuttheads administration?

My head hurts now.

capejasmine on October 28, 2010 at 7:58 PM

She can always claim that she tried to give Peace a chance… but Obama was too inept.

MeatHeadinCA on October 28, 2010 at 8:00 PM

I hate to suggest it but..

Is it time for a money bomb to Meeks? To keep him in the race?

kareyk on October 28, 2010 at 8:03 PM

And Obama says to the Hispanics:

PUNISH YOUR ENEMIES!

And Clinton Jim-Crowed Meeks:

SERVE THE LESSER WHITE/ORANGE MAN!

STFU!

CONGRATULATIONS, GOVERNOR RUBIO OF FLORIDA!

TheAlamos on October 28, 2010 at 8:03 PM

Is it time for a money bomb to Meeks? To keep him in the race?

kareyk on October 28, 2010 at 8:03 PM

Nope. Stay on the message! Moneybomb RUBIO!

TheAlamos on October 28, 2010 at 8:05 PM

TheAlamos on October 28, 2010 at 8:05 PM

I’ve given to them all…frankly, I’m getting sick of the phone calls.

kareyk on October 28, 2010 at 8:08 PM

MeatHeadinCA on October 28, 2010 at 8:00 PM

Will you be here next Tuesday Night?..:)

Dire Straits on October 28, 2010 at 8:08 PM

Here in Pensacola I see a house with a huge flagpole, US flag, followed by a Gadsen (Tea Party) flag….and a Crist sign among many others in his yard. I’m confused…Gadsen flag and Crist sign? On the same property?

I resist the temptation to pull into the driveway and ask..

Who is John Galt on October 28, 2010 at 8:11 PM

Pillow talk? Does Hillary know?

irishspy on October 28, 2010 at 8:12 PM

Will you be here next Tuesday Night?..:)

Dire Straits on October 28, 2010 at 8:08 PM

Maybe… probably?

MeatHeadinCA on October 28, 2010 at 8:12 PM

TheAlamos on October 28, 2010 at 8:03 PM

Senator Rubio.

Cindy Munford on October 28, 2010 at 8:14 PM

They may have liked him, but he had minimal support, and it was slipping. Now that he’s all but admitted he’s not going to win, this may become a two-man race with three candidates.

YYZ on October 28, 2010 at 8:17 PM

Too late now to take Meeks’ name off the ballot. Can you imagine how confused those old people in PB or Broward counties would be if they tried to do that. Ol’ Bill must not have promised enough of a bribe. Gotta hand it to Meek for turning him down.

Kissmygrits on October 28, 2010 at 8:17 PM

Per Ace, the Meeks camp is denying that such negotiations took place while the Crist camp is confirming the story.

The Oompa Loompa himself is on Olbermann’s show right now talking about the whole thing.

The only question I have at this point is whether Meeks negotiated at some point or if Crist and the national Dems cooked up this whole thing to undercut Meeks in a last-ditch attempt to win the race.

teke184 on October 28, 2010 at 8:18 PM

P. Monk,
you left out the point was to cheat a Conservative Hispanic out of victory.

rob verdi on October 28, 2010 at 7:39 PM

So true!!

Let me get this straight. The first black president goes to Florida to help a black man try to become the only black senator. While doing so he decides that it’s better to persuade the black man that what the country really needs more than an honest black senator(well as honest as any Dem.
can be honest)is a lying, cheating, flip flopping, scumbag orange man to become the first orange senator, while the second black president sits back and gives tacit approval?

All done in order to cheat SCREW a Conservative Hispanic out of victory.

And some people aren’t able to comprehend why the Dem. party is about to be tossed. Go figure.

I hope that fixes it rob.:)
Thanks for the help.

P. Monk on October 28, 2010 at 8:20 PM

Cindy Munford on October 28, 2010 at 7:57 PM

That maybe the problem the dems have with Meeks.
Loyalty doesn’t seem to be favored characteristic in dems culture.
Obedience to the establishment does

Kini on October 28, 2010 at 8:20 PM

Here in Pensacola…

Who is John Galt

WHAT!?!?!? WHERE in Pensacola are YOU?

And did you come to my Rubio Rally? Hmmm?

tree hugging sister on October 28, 2010 at 8:21 PM

katy the mean old lady on October 28, 2010 at 8:00 PM

Indeed. The guy is so down to earth. A very honorable opponent to Rubio. If Meeks is a conservative and Rubio is a liberal, I WOULD REALLY REALLY REALLY LOVE TO VOTE FOR HIM.

Both are good men, politics aside.

TheAlamos on October 28, 2010 at 8:22 PM

Democrats hate Hispanics and Blacks. RAAAAAAACISTS!

Philly on October 28, 2010 at 8:23 PM

Meeks to Clinton: I’m just not that into you.

Buy Danish on October 28, 2010 at 8:24 PM

Senator Rubio.

Cindy Munford on October 28, 2010 at 8:14 PM

CONGRATULATIONS, SENATOR RUBIO!

OOPS. SORRY. HOW I WISH HE’S RUNNING FOR GOVERNORSHIP. HE HE HE!

goof!

TheAlamos on October 28, 2010 at 8:25 PM

The backtabbing dirty tricks from the Clinton’s are endless…I sincerely hope the future will be one without the Bill and Hillary dysfunctional road-show…

Nozzle on October 28, 2010 at 8:25 PM

So the Dems conspired with Crist to throw Meeks under the bus, and dont seem to care how that looks to the African-American community or their own base? How does this NOT cause a significant portion of the Dem base to just sit home?

And even though Crist might pick up some Dem support, won’t he lose any Rep support he had since he’s all but admitted he’ll be caucusing with the Dems?

It makes no sense. Unless it’s nothing more than a hail mary pass in the closing seconds…

PetecminMd on October 28, 2010 at 8:29 PM

Palin can sell Conservatism to women.

She must be destroyed.

Rubio can sell Conservatism to Hispanics.

He must be destroyed.

Brian1972 on October 28, 2010 at 7:24 PM

This. You nailed it, Brian.

Who is John Galt on October 28, 2010 at 8:30 PM

HA!!! Racy paragraph about Clinton & Meeks spending the night together (which I noted above) has been removed from Politico article. There is this instead:

Correction: An earlier version of this story incorrectly stated that Jacksonville was the location of the conversation between Bill Clinton and Kendrick Meek.

Buy Danish on October 28, 2010 at 8:33 PM

Maybe… probably?

MeatHeadinCA on October 28, 2010 at 8:12 PM

I was just hoping you would be here for the celebration..:)

Dire Straits on October 28, 2010 at 8:35 PM

What a bunch of deceiving people Clinton and especially Obama are. Obama campaigned with Meeks after all this was attempted. How can the Earth suffer them?

Blacks, wake up!

Schadenfreude on October 28, 2010 at 8:37 PM

The biggest harlot is Shirley Crist.

Schadenfreude on October 28, 2010 at 8:38 PM

Why do Democrats always throw the black guy under the bus?

tarpon on October 28, 2010 at 8:41 PM

Kissmygrits on October 28, 2010 at 8:17 PM

You nailed it. I was a poll wworker in 2000. Century Vllage,Deerfield.You could smell the wires burning.

katy the mean old lady on October 28, 2010 at 8:43 PM

TheAlamos on October 28, 2010 at 8:25 PM

I guess it depends on what he wants to do but if he ultimately runs for president I would like to see him as governor. I am not really keen on senators as presidents. All they know how to do is hide how they are going to screw you in a bunch of legal text.

Cindy Munford on October 28, 2010 at 8:43 PM

Obedience to the establishment does

Kini on October 28, 2010 at 8:20 PM

If they think they would have that in Crist, then they really are stupid.

Cindy Munford on October 28, 2010 at 8:45 PM

obviously Crist is a disgrace. But, there is much to learn about our political system from these people.

Whether you talk about the “combine” like Kass does re: Chicago Dim/Repug joint interests in running the city, or the stuff Kurtz has written about in his new book, you can see the country is in very desperate straits

To pretend that we can continue business as usual is stupid. that would include people like Murky, Crist, etc. etc.

If Greece, France, UK, Portugal, Ireland, etc. can not sway these people (and for that matter the people of this country) we will have a Dim future.

That’s not to say that we will collapse…after all China, Europe, Russia, Japan etc. are probably not going to be any better anyway. It is just sad that serfdom is more appealing than liberty

r keller on October 28, 2010 at 8:47 PM

So Bill Clinton is reduced to Obama’s bag boy? Kind of demeaning, no?

ctmom on October 28, 2010 at 8:57 PM

The Dims throw yet another black person under the bus…and, for Crist????? YGBSM!

Dingbat63 on October 28, 2010 at 8:58 PM

I wonder what cabinet position Meek was offered.

(Apologies if someone already said that; I didn’t read the comments before posting.)

OneGyT on October 28, 2010 at 9:29 PM

P. Monk on October 28, 2010 at 7:29 PM

Excellent punditry!

Gang-of-One on October 28, 2010 at 9:34 PM

Here in Pensacola…

Who is John Galt

WHAT!?!?!? WHERE in Pensacola are YOU?

And did you come to my Rubio Rally? Hmmm?

tree hugging sister on October 28, 2010 at 8:21 PM

Just here temporarily….sorry. Click my name and email me from my blog…doing early vote tomorrow, Rubio, he!! yeah!

Who is John Galt on October 28, 2010 at 10:14 PM

Very important question here: who leaked this story? Is it part of an orchestrated plot to mutilate Meek. Here’s how I see it:

Step 1: Velvet Hammer. Work Meek over with the oily salve of Slick Willy. Charm him like the stooge they think he is.

Result: FAIL.

Step 2: Bloody Hammer. Humiliate Meek by making him look like a loser and a stooge because he A) almost dropped out and B) he is a stooge, remember?

We need to expose this snake saleman. He is worse than Leeza Morbidski.

MaxMBJ on October 28, 2010 at 10:26 PM

Crist’s political career ends in five days and he’s looking into the abyss and will now try to do or say anything to keep his wretched existence alive.

What a pathetic shell of a man.

PackerBronco on October 28, 2010 at 10:39 PM

From Meek’s perspective, he would not just throw this race, but any credibility for future races. He might get a future favor from some high-up Dems, but showing himself to be his own man might do him more good down the road.

I give him that much credit. The way the Dems are setting up their image, if I had to be a Dem, I’d rather be seen as independent from the power brokers.

jodetoad on October 28, 2010 at 11:14 PM

I watched Crist on Greta tonight and was struck by his “nonverbal affect displays” (sorry, slipped into the jargon of my college days). But really, Crist’s facial expressions are very peculiar, to say the least. He pretends to hyper listen, to be hyper gracious, and cocks and tilts his head like a dog listening to something outside.

The more I watched it came to me who he is: Harry Shearer on “Spinal Tap.” Wasn’t it Shearer who stuffed a foil-wrapped cucumber down his pants to enhance his stage persona? Indeed, it was. And somehow, this is appropriate in the Crist analysis.

MaxMBJ on October 28, 2010 at 11:17 PM

We need to expose this snake saleman. He is worse than Leeza Morbidski.

MaxMBJ on October 28, 2010 at 10:26 PM

I agree. There is a “huge” unethical and some form of injustice committed here. Something like a violation of public trust made.

TheAlamos on October 29, 2010 at 12:12 AM

White Democrat leader seeks to force black candidate out of Senate race so white candidate can beat Latino.

Sounds like a StormFront wet dream

DaMav on October 29, 2010 at 8:55 AM