Good news: Time travel exists

posted at 8:49 pm on October 27, 2010 by Allahpundit

To cleanse the palate. Actually, we already knew that time travel exists. Remember this photo? You’ll never convince me that that’s not a modern-day hipster jackass, playing it cool as ever after ducking through a wormhole and emerging in the 1940s. As for the clip below, I’ll give you four possible explanations. One: She’s wearing a hearing aid. They existed in 1928 — but in that case, why does she appear to be speaking right before the image dissolves? Two: She’s unbalanced. Crazy people have been known to talk to themselves, which might explain why the footage wasn’t used in the final cut. Three: It’s just what it looks like. She’s a time traveler yakkin’ on some future-y communication device. (It can’t be a cell phone since there were no towers around at the time.) Four: It’s a hoax created by the host of the clip — who is, in fact, a filmmaker — in hopes of making a name for himself. If so, though, it’d be easy to disprove. Just get a copy of the Chaplin DVD and check to see whether this outtake really is among the extras. I haven’t seen any confirmation about that yet.

This has been bugging me all day. What’s the answer?

Comments

The most impressive part is how the time traveler was able to get cell phone reception back then.

Jared_MA on October 28, 2010 at 11:08 AM

Sheesh, all you people debating time travel. You just fly towards the sun, get caught in its gravitational field, slingshot around the other side and voila — time travel. It’s not that hard.

ncc770 on October 28, 2010 at 11:20 AM

Oh and I can read her lips. She’s saying “Just nuke the whole thing from space. It’s the only way to be sure.”

ncc770 on October 28, 2010 at 11:21 AM

It’s a fish.

eforhan on October 28, 2010 at 11:46 AM

It def isn’t a 3G phone, that thing is an old clamshell device.

Alden Pyle on October 28, 2010 at 12:05 PM

In all seriousness, people watch the sweep second hand of your watch. You are all travelling forward in time at a rate of one second per second.

Surely, you all knew that.

As for the picture, I can’t see it at work. What’s the rumpus?

dogsoldier on October 28, 2010 at 12:36 PM

This is like 12 Monkeys.

76United on October 28, 2010 at 1:14 PM

Droid!!!!!!!

dec5 on October 28, 2010 at 2:32 PM

Jared_MA on October 28, 2010 at 11:08 AM

HA! That’s nothing!

Ever here of the “Bible code”?
Using “even spacing letters” the Bible predicts events that hadn’t happened when the Bible was written, Andddddddddddddddd it works in the “English version”! True, I saw it on TV!
English was not a language when the Bible was written!

DSchoen on October 28, 2010 at 2:40 PM

Looks like a whacky old lady with a (make up) compact in her hand scratching the side of her head likely asking herself where the heck the nearest restroom is.

kgs_mvs on October 28, 2010 at 2:43 PM

I am afraid that if a woman visits us from the future, she will be in a burkha.

slickwillie2001 on October 28, 2010 at 3:07 PM

Everybody says how can it be a cell if there’s no cell tower.
This guy is from the future right, he traveled in a time machine so obviously he’s coming from a time WAY before right now…maybe in the future they come up with a way to transmit or communicate on their mobiles with out towers. Maybe the come up with a better way to send signals on their devices no matter where or what era. It’s definitely interesting to think about!
Did you guys notice the time traveler appears to have a wrist watch on? Apparently wrist watches weren’t mainstream until the 30s.

pixiep on October 28, 2010 at 4:17 PM

I don’t know what it is, but I ended up watching District 9 again. Weird.

Then I drove by a farm later on and some voice inside me told me to stop and stare at some goats.

Mr_Magoo on October 28, 2010 at 9:04 PM

What the hell is an “old liddy”?

MadisonConservative on October 29, 2010 at 8:49 AM

A mobile phone makes no sense.

There were no cell towers in 1928.

A portable walkie-talkie, however…

profitsbeard on October 29, 2010 at 10:06 AM