Katie Couric: It’s great to be traveling America among “the great unwashed”

posted at 10:04 pm on October 26, 2010 by Allahpundit

It’s not as bad as it sounds. She didn’t mean it in a “these ignorant peasants sure do smell when they haven’t bathed” way. She meant it in a “I love to chat with these ignorant peasants no matter what they smell like” way. She’s a people person, guys. Accept it.

Rick Kaplan, her executive producer, says that “when she’s on the road—in Iraq with David Petraeus—she has a great way with people. People like her and she likes them. There are anchors who consider being on the road a pain in the butt. She really looks for opportunities to feel the earth and touch people.”

That’s why Couric has spent recent weeks in Chicago, Philadelphia, Boston and New Brunswick, New Jersey. She is touring what she calls “this great unwashed middle of the country” in an effort to divine the mood of the midterms.

Therein lies a key reason why Couric has sometimes struggled in her current job. She’s always seemed constrained by the rigid, 22-minute format, a far cry from her freewheeling Today performances over a decade and a half. So she has devised ways to slip out of her $15 million-a-year prison—launching a Web show, engaging on Twitter, and getting out in the field.

Says James Lileks, who reminds us that “the great unwashed” is a phrase coined by one of the world’s most notoriously bad writers:

If you can name the crime that will get me committed to a $15-million-a-year-prison, I will endeavor to commit it posthaste. But perhaps the reason she’s struggled is contained in her quote: the middle of the country suspects she regards them as hobnailed dirt-smeared dullards. It fits with the idea that real America – smart, credentialed, urban, sophisticated – exists in a thin crust on either coast, with the rest of the country a parenthetical insert in the national narrative. Unwashed. Criminey.

No, amend that. “Real America,” according to the coastal cultural viziers, is middle America, and that’s the problem. “Better America” is what you get in New York. But only between certain cross-streets.

I wonder if Katie would agree, even privately. Just as everyone thinks they have a sense of humor, everyone thinks they’re a populist — or rather, everyone thinks they’re not an elitist. Salary’s no barrier: Plenty of conservative media personalities do extremely well financially yet would bristle at the suggestion that they’re among the elite. Politics is, in theory, no barrier either: I don’t think of, say, Ralph Nader as an elitist even though he’s farrrrr left ideologically. The combination of salary and politics might be lethal, though. Is there even a single rich liberal out there whom righties wouldn’t instantly assume looks at middle America as the “great unwashed”? The only one who pops to mind is Bill Clinton but I’m sure there are others I’m forgetting.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

the reason for her terrible ratings…

I gotta agree with what Rush said a long time ago about her, that most people, especially men, instinctively don’t like to get bad news from a woman.

maineconservative on October 26, 2010 at 11:50 PM

She really looks for opportunities to feel the earth and touch people.”

wtf?

ted c on October 26, 2010 at 10:07 PM

..give her a break, Ted. Maybe she’s a necrophiliac.

The War Planner on October 26, 2010 at 11:51 PM

Bishop on October 26, 2010 at 11:38 PM

yeah, I’ve read that too about the older engines. I understand a rebuild of an older model will bring the original problems with them. Not to mention I’ve never rode anything with a stick shifter. I’m hooked on the project though.

hawkdriver on October 26, 2010 at 11:59 PM

was actually thinking the same halfway price. I still feel like 2500 would be a deal. Okay, thanks for the insight.

hawkdriver on October 26, 2010 at 11:44 PM

hawkdriver:This might help on the numbers!:)
======================================================

Welcome to ‘The Liberator’

The main scope of this website is to give information about the Harley-Davidson WLA Motorcycle
and the uniforms and equipment used by the US Army in Europe during World War II!

canopfor on October 27, 2010 at 12:01 AM

yeah, I’ve read that

hawkdriver on October 26, 2010 at 11:59 PM

hawkdriver:Let me know if you need research done,
parts scouting,etc,I used to work in a
parts auto store,before I was a courier!:)

canopfor on October 27, 2010 at 12:04 AM

canopfor on October 27, 2010 at 12:01 AM

Already been there Canop. Thanks to you and Bishop again. I keep you posted on the project.

Whaa? I’m still way OT? Okay Katie Couric is not clueless. She is the epitome of the classy mean girl. Her vemon is just a bit more refined. No less demeaning though.

hawkdriver on October 27, 2010 at 12:06 AM

canopfor on October 27, 2010 at 12:04 AM

Dude, you got it. I’ll get an email address to you through Cindy Munford. I’ll take all the help I can get.

hawkdriver on October 27, 2010 at 12:07 AM

canopfor on October 27, 2010 at 12:04 AM
=====================

hawkdriver on October 27, 2010 at 12:07 AM

hawkdriver:Good enough,Cindy will be on this morning,I
would imagine,glad to be of any help,and Bishop
will give you technical skill,and yes O/T,haha!

Okay nighty night Hawk:)

canopfor on October 27, 2010 at 12:10 AM

hawkdriver on October 26, 2010 at 11:59 PM

To be honest, everything other than the cost of the motor I had to call a buddy about who knows more than I do. I’m not a WWII Harley aficionado so it’s sketchy for me, I only play with the more modern designs. I’ve looked at WLA engines at swaps, wanting one just to put on display in my shop, but could never pull the trigger.

Bishop on October 27, 2010 at 12:14 AM

Fargin’ send button.

I meant to finish by saying that’s why I had so many posts right after one another, my friend kept texting me with more information.

Bishop on October 27, 2010 at 12:17 AM

Bishop on October 27, 2010 at 12:14 AM

No sweat Bishop. Like I said, more than helpful. Tell your friend thanks too. What I think I’ll tell the gent is that I just think 2500 is what it’s worth and what I can afford so I don’t have to play the price game with him.

hawkdriver on October 27, 2010 at 12:35 AM

This almost sounds like a ‘feel good’ story after all of the other horrific liberal quotes today.

HellCat on October 27, 2010 at 1:14 AM

I am not a big fan of CBS Evening News no matter who is the anchor, but will say some very positives about Katie Couric — she was the speaker at the OU Graduation when my daughter was a reporter at the OU Daily. Couric came to Norman and the Daily had scheduled time for my daughter to interview her. Not only did Katie spend a lot of time with my daughter for the interview but she also gave her some really good pointers on being a reporter. My daughter came away very impressed with the time she spent with her. I was too that she made the extra effort for my daughter plus she gave a really good speech to the graduates. She was very down to earth and not at all what I thought she would be.

PhiKapMom on October 27, 2010 at 1:20 AM

Unfortunately, I think it runs in the family. Her sister Emily was of the same cut. The same elitist attitude. We should feel privileged that they would even contemplate conversing with us peasants. To actually do it should be considered a monumental achievement on their part and we should all thank them.

ButterflyDragon on October 27, 2010 at 1:21 AM

“Couric has spent recent weeks in Chicago, Philadelphia, Boston and New Brunswick, New Jersey.” She’s not left her comfort zone, has she? Joisy ain’t far from where she is. What about Indiana, Arkansas, Mississippi? Idaho? Too far off the beaten path for the Perky One, huh?

SilentWatcher on October 27, 2010 at 1:33 AM

So she’s going around encouraging colonoscopies or she’s actually going to give them?

I think just maybe, that she is a colonoscopy.

NoDonkey on October 27, 2010 at 2:20 AM

I am wondering if she could make her point more friendly by wearing one of these suits.

saveliberty on October 27, 2010 at 3:00 AM

She should visit lovely Trona, CA. It don’t get more out of the way.

BDavis on October 27, 2010 at 3:01 AM

Wow, excuse my geography, I didn’t know Philly, Boston and New Brunswick were the “middle of the country.” The one thing I do know is these cities are all Liberal Democrat.

Done That on October 27, 2010 at 6:17 AM

She should visit lovely Trona, CA. It don’t get more out of the way.

BDavis on October 27, 2010 at 3:01 AM

In July would be best…

right2bright on October 27, 2010 at 6:46 AM

She’s a people personidiot, guys.

Fixed

NoFanofLibs on October 27, 2010 at 6:47 AM

She was very down to earth and not at all what I thought she would be.

PhiKapMom on October 27, 2010 at 1:20 AM

I am sure she was grateful for passing down her knowledge to the children…btw, you do realize that a little indication of who you are is provided by your name…so you obviously relate to Katie.

right2bright on October 27, 2010 at 6:50 AM

I have never, not even once, thought of myself as a populist.

myrenovations on October 27, 2010 at 7:13 AM

Well…the areas Couric plan to visit are predominately liberal.

zoyclem on October 27, 2010 at 7:36 AM

“But perhaps the reason she’s struggled is contained in her quote: the middle of the country suspects she regards them as hobnailed dirt-smeared dullards.

And if you weren’t dirt-smeared before Katie came to town she will “feel the earth and touch you”.

Buy Danish on October 27, 2010 at 7:44 AM

Reminds me of that line from Mel Brooks “History Of The World Part 1″:

Your Highness, the peasants are revolting!

You bet! They stink on ice!

pilamaye on October 27, 2010 at 7:54 AM

She was very down to earth and not at all what I thought she would be.

PhiKapMom on October 27, 2010 at 1:20 AM

Good for you, but the rest of us have to know her by the persona she projects on the TV screen, and that’s a stench good people run from.

Extrafishy on October 27, 2010 at 8:07 AM

PhiKapMom on October 27, 2010 at 1:20 AM

Your daughter provided the feminist Couric with clay to mold. Of course Katie took the extra moment to be professionally friendly and connect with what provides her own up and coming support network.

It isn’t as if Katie doesn’t know how or when to play “nice”. She knows which side of the bread to butter.

I think hawkdriver nailed her as the cattiest, meanest, elitist smartass b!tch. NOT clueless.

maverick muse on October 27, 2010 at 8:09 AM

She was very down to earth and not at all what I thought she would be.

PhiKapMom on October 27, 2010 at 1:20 AM

And with that, two more saps were sucked into the liberal delusion factory of journalism.

Jaibones on October 27, 2010 at 8:16 AM

Katie keeps showing her colon

Bevan on October 27, 2010 at 8:40 AM

Who considers Boston, Philly, or even Chicago “middle America”? Boston? Boston?

CJ on October 27, 2010 at 8:51 AM

Tell that to the guys who lost their jobs on the assembly lines in Detroit when the Corvair went tits-up.

Or to everyone who has had to hurriedly fasten their seat belt to shut up the annoying warning signal that their car refused to stop making.

And on and on.

Nanny State? Ralph Nader. Top of the list.

How could you be so wrong?

moochy on October 27, 2010 at 8:59 AM

Hey Katie,
Smell my finger.

OkieDoc on October 27, 2010 at 9:01 AM

The condescending arrogance from this intellectually bankrupt midget is hilarious. Without the public she is irrelevant. The public without Couric is much better off. She is too bigoted to have a clue.

volsense on October 27, 2010 at 9:12 AM

The great unwashed masses are no longer watching and they don’t care what you think anymore.

Mojave Mark on October 27, 2010 at 9:14 AM

Boycott the little winch and then see how long that arrogance lasts.

volsense on October 27, 2010 at 9:15 AM

Doesn’t look quite as perky as she used to.

Kissmygrits on October 27, 2010 at 9:22 AM

Who considers Boston, Philly, or even Chicago “middle America”? Boston? Boston?

CJ on October 27, 2010 at 8:51 AM

They edited out the rest of the Couric quote:

Additionally, I have really enjoyed touring middle-middle America with all it Neanderthals and other Prehistoric Americans.

bitsy on October 27, 2010 at 9:49 AM

When will society wash ourselves of her stupid mug on TV? Not that I’ve ever watched it in my ADULT years, but damn what does it take for folks to be insulted these days?

tx2654 on October 27, 2010 at 9:55 AM

I just want that sweet lady to know we here in my hometown take a bath every Saturday night–whether we need it or not!

Herb on October 27, 2010 at 9:58 AM

Give Nader his due, though — as wrong as he is, he is virtually the only class warrior who actually lives what he preaches. As I recall he took a vow to live on $25,000 a year and has stuck to it — cheap apartment, cheap food, the works.

TallDave on October 27, 2010 at 10:00 AM

The Great UnWatched meets the Great Unwashed tour.

Indian Outlaw on October 27, 2010 at 10:13 AM

I suppose she has someone reading reading Hot Air and the comments on the topic and maybe that person will suggest Katie have a Harley trailered in to Sturgis so she can ride around and mix with the Sons of Silence, or the Outlaws, or Sons of Anarchy, or maybe the Hamsters. You know to get a feel for American outlaws and such.

She’d fit right in with the Hamsters.

Lily on October 27, 2010 at 10:14 AM

The Great UnWatched meets the Great Unwashed tour.

Indian Outlaw on October 27, 2010 at 10:13 AM

lol
+10,000

Brian1972 on October 27, 2010 at 10:21 AM

She forgot to add Seattle, Portland, San Fransisco, Los Angeles to her middle of the country dirty people tour.

Brian1972 on October 27, 2010 at 10:22 AM

Isn’t New York inflicted with a major bedbug infestation? I’d rather be one of the unwashed who live elsewhere.

theCork on October 27, 2010 at 11:36 AM

She should visit lovely Trona, CA. It don’t get more out of the way.

BDavis on October 27, 2010 at 3:01 AM

In summer, stuck at a railroad crossing.

At least that’s what I remember of Trona circa 30+ years ago.

Princess Bernie on October 27, 2010 at 11:50 AM

Here’s a hint: The great unwashed are in a very, very bad mood.

The Hayseed Rebellion
The “great unwashed” have had it, says James Gannon.

The point of all this is not simply to bemoan what’s happened to political debate in this country, but to point out how successful the Left has been in redefining the terms of that debate. Over the last 30 years, liberals, through their dominance in the media, the universities, the public school systems and major cultural institutions, including television and Hollywood, have redefined what is acceptable and unacceptable in American society. And the docile, largely silent majority of ordinary Americans, who don’t relish confrontation and controversy, have allowed these institutional forces to have their way in changing American culture. Up to now.

Rae on October 27, 2010 at 1:06 PM

Did anybody ever see her televised colonoscopy? That’s probably the most intelligent part of her whole body.

Mr. Grump on October 27, 2010 at 1:16 PM

This is an insult and condescending no matter how they slice and dice it. I love these Freudian slips that reveal the lefties for who they really are.

JimP on October 27, 2010 at 1:55 PM

Awe c’mon, she is only paid to read. She doesn’t really know how to articulate a thought. She’s basically a cardboard cut-out.

jbh45 on October 27, 2010 at 2:12 PM

Does Couric really think she’ll find out about the mood of the midterms by talking to people in Shy(ster)town (home of the Community Oganizah in Chief), Philly and Kerryville? How about visiting some “unwashed” bitter clingers in flyover country? Oh, that’s right, she flew over it.

Unless she can arrange a meeting with Chris Christie in New Brunswick.

Steve Z on October 27, 2010 at 3:50 PM

I think Ms “Unwashed Masses” might like to hear Josh Thompson’s song “Way Out Here”. Lyrics:

Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun
And you might meet ‘em both if you show up here not welcome son

Our necks are burnt, our roads are dirt and our trucks ain’t clean
The dogs run lose, we smoke, we chew and fry everything
Out here, way out here

(Chorus)
We won’t take a dime if we ain’t earned it
When it comes to weight brother we pull our own
If it’s our backwoods way of livin’ you’re concerned with
You can leave us alone
We’re about John Wayne, Johnny Cash and John Deere
Way out here

We got a fightin’ side a mile wide but we pray for peace
‘Cause it’s mostly us that end up servin’ overseas
If it was up to me I’d love to see this country run
Like it used to be, oughta be, just like it’s done
Out here, way out here

(Chorus)
We won’t take a dime if we ain’t earned it
When it comes to weight brother we pull our own
If it’s our backwoods way of livin’ you’re concerned with
You can leave us alone
We’re about John Wayne, Johnny Cash and John Deere
Way out here

We won’t take a dime if we ain’t earned it
When it comes to weight brother we pull our own
If it’s our backwoods way of livin’ you’re concerned with
You can leave us alone
We’re about John Wayne, Johnny Cash and John Deere
Way out here, way out here

Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun
And you might meet ‘em both if you show up here not welcome son

Sweet_Thang on October 27, 2010 at 4:29 PM

Take away her $15 Million-a-year salary and see how long she lasts.

TN Mom on October 27, 2010 at 5:06 PM

Maybe perky Katie can have someone turn a fire hose onto her and a group she is interviewing so they all are equally washed.

Eff her and her “sophisticated incompetent” peers. Credentials and money you have. Damn all else. Get back into the vain little echo chamber where you belong.

Harry Schell on October 27, 2010 at 5:55 PM

Mr. Grump on October 27, 2010 at 1:16 PM

Wasn’t her. She had a colon double.

Extrafishy on October 27, 2010 at 7:17 PM

Cootie Couric coming to a town near you. Stock up on hand sanitizer…

TN Mom on October 28, 2010 at 12:04 AM

South Park did an episode recently where Stan Marsh’s dad got in the record books for taking the world’s biggest dump, pushing back Bono to “#2″

The thing that made me laugh the most is that the turds’ unit of measurement was the Couric. The bigger the turd, the higher the number of Courics. I reckon that means ol’ Katie’s Couric rating would be infinity.

CatchAll on October 28, 2010 at 2:08 AM

The “feel the earth” routine means touring a farm somewhere and then immediately heading for the nearest 5-star hotel to rejuvenate in the spa and wash away “that awful smell, how do people stand working around it all day?”

Bishop on October 26, 2010 at 10:17 PM

Let me go Behar on this b!t@h!
Nobody says crap like this in the real world (of the unwashed masses).
Come on Katie, you b!t@h! Take a visit out to my ranch during preg check time. I’ll give you some $h!t to talk about for the rest of your life.
I despise that ‘woman’/Beharism.

Badger40 on October 28, 2010 at 10:09 AM

She really looks for opportunities to feel the earth and touch people.

And to add: I’m pretty sure people like Louis XIV, Henry the VIII, etc said $h!t like that, too.

Badger40 on October 28, 2010 at 10:11 AM