Gibbs on Obama’s wrecked car metaphor: That car in the ditch has an Obama bumper sticker on it

posted at 7:26 pm on October 26, 2010 by Allahpundit

Alternate headline: “Confirmed: White House actually trying to lose now.”

We don’t know the make or model of the car President Obama and Democrats say they’ve been trying to push out of the ditch, but at least we know what’s on the bumper. “Look, there’s, there’s an Obama bumper sticker on the car. We get that,” said White House spokesman Robert Gibbs in response to a question from CNN.

Gibbs was attempting to illustrate that President Obama is taking responsibility for fixing the economy.

That new addition to a metaphor President Obama has repeated over and over again on the campaign trail to sharpen his economic message was akin to throwing a softball at Republicans. They quickly swung for the fences.

Former Alaska Governor Sarah Palin tweeted “classic admittance [sic: admission]….Um, that’s been our point.”

Heh. As Gibbsy said recently to GQ, “it’s hard to message 9.5 percent unemployment.” Speaking of which, I know Drudge and Fox are having fun with The One saying at a rally that the GOP needs to “sit in back,” as if it was some sort of veiled Rosa Parks allusion, but I think he’s getting a bad rap on that. That’s just part of his dopey car metaphor: We can’t let Republicans drive because they’re the ones who steered the car into the ditch, yadda yadda, so now they need to ride along as passengers while the Dems steer for awhile. As Tom Maguire points out, much as with the eternal Slurpee joke, Obama has used the line about getting in the back seat before, back on October 10 at a Moving America Forward rally. I don’t think he means anything racial in it at all; “great communicator” that he is, he’s just stretching this already exhausted metaphor to its breaking point. Good luck convincing Megyn Kelly of that, though. Exit question: I think the GOP’s doing exactly the right thing by not holding any big victory parties next Tuesday, but wouldn’t it be just a little bit awesome if Boehner came out at the end of the night … sipping a Slurpee? C’mon.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I don’t think PBHO meant the backseat remark racially, he meant it as in the unruly children relegated to the rear of the station wagon while the adults drive. Typical sneering from the Arugula in Chief.

Bishop on October 26, 2010 at 7:30 PM

Or holding a butterscotch pudding cup.

RachDubya on October 26, 2010 at 7:30 PM

Classic admittance: nation’s car driven in ditch & “there’s an Obama bumpersticker on it” so says Obama spokesman. Um, that’s been our point

- President-in-exile Sarah Palin, via Twitter.

turfmann on October 26, 2010 at 7:30 PM

I’m actually kinda surprised 7-11 isn’t doing a 25 cent slurpee special on tuesday. They’d sell millions.

lorien1973 on October 26, 2010 at 7:30 PM

Obama isn’t fit to lead a cart, and horse.

I have stuff to remove that bumper sticker. ;)

capejasmine on October 26, 2010 at 7:31 PM

I don’t think he means anything racial in it at all;

Well, if he’s not being mendacious, what is he, just stupid?

JonPrichard on October 26, 2010 at 7:31 PM

Exit answer: yes, I do believe so.

mikeyboss on October 26, 2010 at 7:31 PM

Mmmmmm. Slurpees taste so good! Novemeber 3rd National Slurpee day! We should all post our slurpees on Twitter and Facebook on November 3rd.

terryannonline on October 26, 2010 at 7:31 PM

Do we get a Slurpee?

halfastro on October 26, 2010 at 7:31 PM

…but wouldn’t it be just a little bit awesome if Boehner came out at the end of the night … sipping a Slurpee?

Not a big Boehner fan, but yeah, that would be awesome.

Extrafishy on October 26, 2010 at 7:32 PM

Bishop on October 26, 2010 at 7:30 PM

I heard him say bus.

Ronnie on October 26, 2010 at 7:32 PM

I’ll betcha Michael Ramirez will have fun with this one.

Splashman on October 26, 2010 at 7:32 PM

Allah, can we get something on the SEIU/Nevada/Reid story?

amerpundit on October 26, 2010 at 7:32 PM

…but I think he’s getting a bad rap on that. That’s just part of his dopey car metaphor…

Dude. So, how much longer does Obama get the benefit of the doubt?

Juan Williams just emailed to say, “about 10 more minutes”.

SlaveDog on October 26, 2010 at 7:32 PM

Wow. After this, how soon before Gibbs decides to spend more time with his family?

ConservativePartyNow on October 26, 2010 at 7:34 PM

I have noticed that those with “Obama” bumper stickers on their cars are usually the worst drivers.

29Victor on October 26, 2010 at 7:34 PM

It would be beyond awesome. I’m a 44 year old man that would be downright giddy if that happened.

ButterflyDragon on October 26, 2010 at 7:34 PM

That’s just part of his dopey car metaphor:

Don’t agree there, Obama knows exactly what he is doing and loving it at the same time. This man who needs the teleprompter to say excuse me does not have an innocent word in his vocabulary.

fourdeucer on October 26, 2010 at 7:34 PM

I’m going to see if I can chug a Slurpee when I vote Tuesday.Thinking about a driver so I can sit in the back.

katy the mean old lady on October 26, 2010 at 7:35 PM

Well,does everyone remember when Newt was
told to use the rear door of AF/1 !!!!!!!!!!!!!

canopfor on October 26, 2010 at 7:35 PM

that would be one for the books for sure…

cmsinaz on October 26, 2010 at 7:35 PM

Bumper sticker removal kits are one of the few bright spots in the economy.

GnuBreed on October 26, 2010 at 7:35 PM

Barry Obama, already a legend in his own mind.

GarandFan on October 26, 2010 at 7:35 PM

lorien1973 on October 26, 2010 at 7:30 PM

that would be awesome…hello 7-11?

cmsinaz on October 26, 2010 at 7:36 PM

And Obama told us the GOP has to sit in the back, so we know they weren’t driving when it went in the ditch.

SouthernGent on October 26, 2010 at 7:36 PM

I`d do it.

ThePrez on October 26, 2010 at 7:37 PM

You know would be even more awesome: If he came out election night sipping on a Slurpee with this playing on the background.

terryannonline on October 26, 2010 at 7:38 PM

here’s what we’ll do to them on election day.
See the 1:25 mark.
if only there were pudding flavored slurpees, or slurpees made of pudding? or, er um?

joeindc44 on October 26, 2010 at 7:38 PM

Roh roh.

Mental image of car in ditch with Obama bumper sticker may go viral tonight with cartoonists and photo-shoppers.

It’s the perfect reply to the stuck-on-stupid repetition of such a childish metaphor.

petefrt on October 26, 2010 at 7:38 PM

That would be hysterical. But, they must come from 7-11.

milwife88 on October 26, 2010 at 7:39 PM

lorien1973 on October 26, 2010 at 7:30 PM

Drinks are on me that night.

NebCon on October 26, 2010 at 7:39 PM

How can that be innocent, when there isn’t a Black in America, let alone a professional race provocateur, who isn’t familiar with the back-of-the-bus metaphor. It’s more of obama’s thinly-veiled aggression coming out.

paul1149 on October 26, 2010 at 7:40 PM

29Victor on October 26, 2010 at 7:34 PM

They have almost vanished here in Deep Blue Broward Co. We still have the world’s worst drvers. I bitterly cling to my old Caddy. When they hit me they’ll know it.

katy the mean old lady on October 26, 2010 at 7:40 PM

Actually, we do… it’s a 2007 Government Motors. Registration is messed up… it shows as belonging to both Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi. They tried filing off the VIN to hide their ownership, but it didn’t work.

malclave on October 26, 2010 at 7:43 PM

On the viral photoshop/cartoon, someone needs to be running out of the WH after the car yelling, “Who gave him the keys?!”

UnderstandingisPower on October 26, 2010 at 7:43 PM

Why a car , why not a monorail.

the_nile on October 26, 2010 at 7:45 PM

Is Gibbs ignorant or just stupid?

Oh, yeah, hat tip, Mrs. Palin.

jimmy2shoes on October 26, 2010 at 7:45 PM

And a drunken illegal behind the wheel?

andycanuck on October 26, 2010 at 7:46 PM

I’m going to see if I can chug a Slurpee when I vote Tuesday. Thinking about a driver so I can sit in the back.

katy the mean old lady on October 26, 2010 at 7:35 PM

Easy on chugging – brain freeze!
_____________________________

Exit question answer: that would be hilarious if Boehner had a Slurpee – full sugar Coke flavor.

tru2tx on October 26, 2010 at 7:47 PM

Where did they find a car that still had an Obama sticker on it? The Smithsonian?

Lily on October 26, 2010 at 7:47 PM

oh no he dint

John the Libertarian on October 26, 2010 at 7:47 PM

“… but wouldn’t it be just a little bit awesome if Boehner came out at the end of the night … sipping a Slurpee? C’mon.”

Are you kidding? I hope the whole lot of them show up with Slurpees on January 2 to take the oath of office. That would be a whole lot of awesome.

Oh, and an “I won!” lapel pin just for good measure.

Dusty on October 26, 2010 at 7:49 PM

I’m happy to sit in back while Obama drives, provided he damn well goes where we tell him to go, and if Pelosi and Reid are gagged and tied in the trunk.

pedestrian on October 26, 2010 at 7:49 PM

Best way to get out of a ditch is to stop digging.

OxyCon on October 26, 2010 at 7:50 PM

Can Humpbot slip a slurpee? C’mon, AP. ;-)

Grace_is_sufficient on October 26, 2010 at 7:51 PM

I’ll tell you what kind of car it is, it’s one of those little 2 seater Obama cars. It rolled in the ditch cause it didn’t have enough power to make it up a gentle incline!

The Expert Knows

HotAirExpert on October 26, 2010 at 7:51 PM

I guess that the Great ObaMao-orator wouldn’t allow the “enemy” to ride shotgun, eh? This guy is a pathetic tool.

onlineanalyst on October 26, 2010 at 7:51 PM

Lily on October 26, 2010 at 7:47 PM

They’re all over the place here in Seattle, for one. I saw one yesterday that actually had a I heart Big Government sticker on the other side.

pedestrian on October 26, 2010 at 7:52 PM

and then says “I`ll take those keys now.”

ThePrez on October 26, 2010 at 7:52 PM

Don’t know if anyone mentioned this above- but I agree with Ap that it’s not likely Obama meant anything racial in his “sit in the back” remark. Anyone hazard a guess what the media would be saying if SP said it though?

BKeyser on October 26, 2010 at 7:53 PM

Obama has no clue about the American people. He wants to push a car out of a ditch, I guess if the car has an Obama sticker, that will have to do, I’d stop, see the sticker, then move on. Put a Palin sticker on it, My Tundra, built in Indiana by non-union workers that probably didn’t vote for him, would hook up a chain and pull it right out.

Sipping a Slurpee? What a Pansy!!!

M-14 2go on October 26, 2010 at 7:54 PM

I meant “sip” a slurpee, but Humpbot slipping on a Slurpee might be good, too.

Any Humpbot next Tuesday night will be good. :-)

Grace_is_sufficient on October 26, 2010 at 7:54 PM

Okay,I might of had that mixed up,after ny google mission!
===========================================================
DeLay writes in his book No Retreat, No Surrender

“He told a room full of reporters that he forced the shutdown because Clinton had

rudely made him and Bob Dole sit at the back of Air Force One…

Newt had been careless to say such a thing, and now the whole moral tone of the shutdown had been lost. What had been a noble battle for fiscal sanity began to look like the tirade of a spoiled child. The revolution, I can tell you, was never the same.”

========================

Don`t forget as another President,besides Bill Clinton,Obama
had the Dali Lama use the rear entrance of the White House,
so,Liberal POTHUSA have a track-record of this type of be-
smirchment!!

And,Like I`ve said in the past,Obama and his ilk are stuck
back in the 1600`s,and more to the point the 50`s and 60`s!

There is no question,that this was a Rosa Parks type,slap in the face comment!!!

canopfor on October 26, 2010 at 7:54 PM

I’m sorry, but I think Allahpundit is hilarious, and if he wrote a book I would wait in line to buy it!

Boehner coming out with a slurpee? That would make my life complete.

anniekc on October 26, 2010 at 7:55 PM

Anyone hazard a guess what the media would be saying if SP said it though?

BKeyser on October 26, 2010 at 7:53 PM

Or any Republican. That’s why I have no sympathy for the “bad rap” he’s getting.

malclave on October 26, 2010 at 7:55 PM

Obama should have been able to drive the car out of the ditch after that $787 billion fill-up. Instead he discovered his feet don’t reach the pedals.

drwilliams on October 26, 2010 at 7:55 PM

President Harvard Super Genius can’t come up with anything more creative than a retarded car metaphor that’s been beaten to death?

I’d really love to see this schmuck’s grades.

Cicero43 on October 26, 2010 at 7:56 PM

Crap,thats POTUSA,s/p snafu!

canopfor on October 26, 2010 at 7:56 PM

You betcha that was a passive-aggressive slur on his part.

onlineanalyst on October 26, 2010 at 7:57 PM

Sell the Dems fingerprints ALL OVER this financial crisis. SELL IT.

WitchDoctor on October 26, 2010 at 7:58 PM

Obama needs an Obama bumpsticker over his flapping yap.

If it would fit.

profitsbeard on October 26, 2010 at 7:59 PM

Team Hopey,has the car in the ditch soooooooooo baaaaaaad,
that Obama has the frame hung up,and noooooooooooo matter
how much pushing or revving the snot out of the engine,it
ain`t gonna go anywhere!!

Obama is going to need a Caterpillar D-12,to pull it out,
from the mess that HE HAS CREATED!!!!

canopfor on October 26, 2010 at 7:59 PM

Heh. As I remember, the bus driver ordered Parks to move to the rear of the bus, and she said “no”.

This simile is just soooo appropriate — Obama wants the Republicans to move to the rear, and they are digging in their heels and saying “no”.

unclesmrgol on October 26, 2010 at 7:59 PM

Here you go, Gibbs.

2ipa on October 26, 2010 at 8:00 PM

Can humpbot hump a Slurpee?

txag92 on October 26, 2010 at 8:01 PM

Sesame Street – Car stuck in the mud

canopfor on October 26, 2010 at 8:02 PM

When they hit me they’ll know it.

katy the mean old lady on October 26, 2010 at 7:40 PM

Oh, nooo!!! You might have a little scratch in the chrome on your bumper if you go head on with a Smart Car!

I have one of those big, honkin’ trailer hitches on my pickup truck that has done more damage to tailgating liberal-mobiles! I just drive away smiling while they await the tow truck!

turfmann on October 26, 2010 at 8:02 PM

Why would you give the man the benefit of the doubt? He and his flunkies are calling you and I racists while telling Hispanics to fight against their white “enemies”.

18-1 on October 26, 2010 at 8:03 PM

I CAN’T WAIT FOR NOVEMBER 3rd…….the start of nearly two years of BASHING THE DOTUS by Republicans that want his job.

Finally we’ll start hearing “extreme rhetoric” and “hate speech” as they all position themselves to be the Conservative of choice.

And the best part?……THE MEDIA WILL REPORT IT ALL…..because they love elections and campaigns and this will feature their precious Messiahs’ reign being at stake.

(hey KATIE COURIC That “UNWASHED” Middle of the country is about to get washed with a TEANAMI on November 3rd).

PARTY LIKE IT’S 1773 !!!!!
(on November 3rd)

PappyD61 on October 26, 2010 at 8:04 PM

Can humpbot hump a Slurpee?

txag92 on October 26, 2010 at 8:01 PM

txag92: Will said slurpee be mechanized!:)

canopfor on October 26, 2010 at 8:04 PM

THREAD WINNER….

- President-in-exile Sarah Palin, via Twitter.

turfmann on October 26, 2010 at 7:30 PM

PappyD61 on October 26, 2010 at 8:07 PM

The car in the ditch metafor has gotten very old very quickly.May I suggest SkyBus?

DDT on October 26, 2010 at 8:07 PM

Made me laugh. The boy-king now has HotAir’s Allahpundit to parse and defend his “dopey” speechifying. :rollseyes:
Randy

williars on October 26, 2010 at 8:07 PM

petefrt on October 26, 2010 at 7:38 PM

Too late

2ipa on October 26, 2010 at 8:08 PM

PARTY LIKE IT’S 1773 !!!!! (on November 3rd)

PappyD61 on October 26, 2010 at 8:04 PM

I immediately thought of Rosa Parks,and sitting at
the back of the bus!!!

So much for UNITY,do you know from where Obama has
come from,Radical Black Theology,Rev.Wrights Church
as an example!!

canopfor on October 26, 2010 at 8:12 PM

I just double-checked. 7-11 doesn’t have any stores in Wisconsin. Is that why Ron Johnson is cleaning Russ Feingold’s clock? Anybody know the Kwik Trip version of a Slurpee is?

kscheuller on October 26, 2010 at 8:13 PM

So nice that Allah is willing to give Obama the benefit of the doubt. Especially after Obama refers to us as “the enemy” Allah, you really do suck.

echosyst on October 26, 2010 at 8:15 PM

turfmann on October 26, 2010 at 8:02 PM

turfmann: Smart Car vrs. Semi.It ain`t pretty!!:)
==========================================================

canopfor on October 26, 2010 at 8:16 PM

“Slurpy sippin’ Boehner ain’t never been called a n#$$%&!”

kscheuller on October 26, 2010 at 8:16 PM

williars:The very first time I heard Obama make that crack,
I immediately thought of Rosa Parks,and sitting at
the back of the bus!!!

Ditto… UNSAT reference to Rosa Parks…

Khun Joe on October 26, 2010 at 8:17 PM

Anybody know the Kwik Trip version of a Slurpee is?

kscheuller on October 26, 2010 at 8:13 PM

kscheuller:’Big Gulp`’ maybe!!
======================================================

canopfor on October 26, 2010 at 8:18 PM

AP

Why? Boehner is still unsure whether he will be seated as Speaker of the House in the forthcoming GOP House.

A Truly Fiscally Conservative Lawmaker must be appointed to that “sacred” position, especially if we are really passionately believing that this victory must really make a positive change for GOP and American people as a whole.

TheAlamos on October 26, 2010 at 8:19 PM

williars:

The very first time I heard Obama make that crack,
I immediately thought of Rosa Parks,and sitting at
the back of the bus!!!
Ditto… UNSAT reference to Rosa Parks…

Khun Joe on October 26, 2010 at 8:17 PM

Khun Joe:Exactly,Obama is exposed,a two year process!!:)

canopfor on October 26, 2010 at 8:20 PM

The problem with Obama’s remark is that while he’s quibbling over who’s driving, the American people are tied, Mad Max style, to the front bumper.

The GOP may have swerved onto the shoulder a few times but he’s the one behind the wheel while we’re heading for the end of that guardrail, and if dragging him out of the driver’s seat by his hair is what it takes to get his foot off the throttle we’ll take whatever we can get.

JEM on October 26, 2010 at 8:20 PM

I wonder which staffer first explained to Obama what a Slurpee is. And what a 7-Eleven is.

And then I want to know how long it took Obama to ask if an arugula flavor was available.

The Lone Platypus on October 26, 2010 at 8:21 PM

parks is what he had in mind; just ask rev. wright

runner on October 26, 2010 at 8:23 PM

turfmann on October 26, 2010 at 8:02 PM

I’ve got it on the Caddy. Never know when you have to haul livestock.

katy the mean old lady on October 26, 2010 at 8:23 PM

terryannonline on October 26, 2010 at 7:31 PM

Excellent idea. I suggested a Slurpee open thread party on Nov 2.

fossten on October 26, 2010 at 8:26 PM

canopfor on October 26, 2010 at 8:16 PM

Eeek! I’ll keep that Caddy. Then hit a funeral down here and get another. “Sorry for your loss , what did he drive?”

katy the mean old lady on October 26, 2010 at 8:30 PM

I’ve got it on the Caddy. Never know when you have to haul livestock.

katy the mean old lady on October 26, 2010 at 8:23 PM

ROTFL! Only someone who has raised livestock could appreciate that!

Mom & Dad had a 1970 Chevrolet Kingswood Wagon which we (rightly) called the Urban Assault Vehicle. I didn’t have anything nearly as brutally awesome until I bought my Sterling!

turfmann on October 26, 2010 at 8:30 PM

Awesome. In fact I think we need a write in or tweet in campaign to get him to do it.

JavelinaBomb on October 26, 2010 at 8:30 PM

A Kool-Aid drinker?

Bishop on October 26, 2010 at 7:30 PM

FYI, I will be at a rather large victory party on Tuesday night hosted by my GOP Congressman.

Kermit on October 26, 2010 at 8:31 PM

TheAlamos on October 26, 2010 at 8:19 PM

Hey – as far as I’m concerned, Boehner has done one hell of a job keeping the House Republicans in the fold, and forthrightly expressing genuine outrage on the floor. You can almost see smoke coming out of his ears, and definitely see veins popping out of his neck and head during some of those clips. I was 16 years younger at the rise of Gingrich, but I never remember seeing him get that strong. Of course, that was back when failed Hillarycare was all we had to worry about, and Clinton cared much more about being liked than Obama.

Boehner will be a much better and more conservative Speaker of the House than Pelosi. Of course, Barney Frank might be more conservative than Pelosi, but you get my point. The whole “Young Guns” thing is just the media wishing the House Repubs want to cook up a coup.

kscheuller on October 26, 2010 at 8:31 PM

Will the Slurpee have “you betcha!” in big letters on it?

Oh, and in small letters “Hey Katie, read this!

Lefty Heads will explode!

These Slurpee cups and Slurpee’s need to be made and distributed to every GOP election night party!

DSchoen on October 26, 2010 at 8:34 PM

turfmann: Smart Car vrs. Semi.It ain`t pretty!!:)
==========================================================

canopfor on October 26, 2010 at 8:16 PM

Holy S***!

You really should have put the EXTREMELY GRAPHIC WARNING – IT DOESN’T GET ANY MORE GRAPHIC THAN THIS on you post.

Wow. That was just brutal.

turfmann on October 26, 2010 at 8:35 PM

BTW – Rush did some digging yesterday and confirmed that those “common ground w/ Obama” quotes were from before the now famous “I won,” episode w/ Obama. Of course, the media is trying to pass them off as comments Boehner made this week.

kscheuller on October 26, 2010 at 8:36 PM

I don’t buy your interpretation of the “sit in back” line. I think it was intentional and deliberate.

Exit question: what would be the MSM reaction if someone from the GOP told Obama that he had to “sit in back”?

Answer: The GOPer’s career would be over within the hour.

Chris of Rights on October 26, 2010 at 8:36 PM

Now that I am back from vomiting, I notice that I made a grammatical error – ‘you’ should be ‘your’.

You’ll have to pardon me, I was distracted.

turfmann on October 26, 2010 at 8:37 PM

Bubba an em has been stocking up on Coors Lite,cleaned the 4X4 Jeep,put on the big tires,huntin’ season is on but the night of the 2nd an mornin’ of the 3rd they gonna be pulling drunk liberals outa ditches all over the place.Rest of us are going to bed at the regular time and will get up on the morning of the third to see how many lawsuits have been filed for fraud,how many states are still counting,and when some judge stays the election until THE TROOPS can vote.
Bubba also has informed all of us he ain’t sittin in no bus ever again,he hated the bus in school so daddy let him get a Farm Tag and drive to school.Bubba earns a living and helps folks,it just how he was brought up.Maybe the won will just stay in India?

Col.John Wm. Reed on October 26, 2010 at 8:41 PM