Gibbs on Obama’s wrecked car metaphor: That car in the ditch has an Obama bumper sticker on it

posted at 7:26 pm on October 26, 2010 by Allahpundit

Alternate headline: “Confirmed: White House actually trying to lose now.”

We don’t know the make or model of the car President Obama and Democrats say they’ve been trying to push out of the ditch, but at least we know what’s on the bumper. “Look, there’s, there’s an Obama bumper sticker on the car. We get that,” said White House spokesman Robert Gibbs in response to a question from CNN.

Gibbs was attempting to illustrate that President Obama is taking responsibility for fixing the economy.

That new addition to a metaphor President Obama has repeated over and over again on the campaign trail to sharpen his economic message was akin to throwing a softball at Republicans. They quickly swung for the fences.

Former Alaska Governor Sarah Palin tweeted “classic admittance [sic: admission]….Um, that’s been our point.”

Heh. As Gibbsy said recently to GQ, “it’s hard to message 9.5 percent unemployment.” Speaking of which, I know Drudge and Fox are having fun with The One saying at a rally that the GOP needs to “sit in back,” as if it was some sort of veiled Rosa Parks allusion, but I think he’s getting a bad rap on that. That’s just part of his dopey car metaphor: We can’t let Republicans drive because they’re the ones who steered the car into the ditch, yadda yadda, so now they need to ride along as passengers while the Dems steer for awhile. As Tom Maguire points out, much as with the eternal Slurpee joke, Obama has used the line about getting in the back seat before, back on October 10 at a Moving America Forward rally. I don’t think he means anything racial in it at all; “great communicator” that he is, he’s just stretching this already exhausted metaphor to its breaking point. Good luck convincing Megyn Kelly of that, though. Exit question: I think the GOP’s doing exactly the right thing by not holding any big victory parties next Tuesday, but wouldn’t it be just a little bit awesome if Boehner came out at the end of the night … sipping a Slurpee? C’mon.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Soooo, Gibbs says it has a 0 bumper sticker? Then that completes my investigation of the cause of the accident. It could not have been a Republican driving the car into the ditch as no Republican would drive a car with a 0 bumper sticker. They finally admitted they drove the car to go into the ditch.

Oleta on October 26, 2010 at 8:46 PM

heh

Ugly on October 26, 2010 at 8:47 PM

Ugly on October 26, 2010 at 8:47 PM

Racist

fossten on October 26, 2010 at 8:49 PM

Awesome idea. I hope he does it!!

Conservative Samizdat on October 26, 2010 at 8:54 PM

Bush may have been behind the wheel, but the democrat Congress was riding shotgun, had the only map, and was telling him exactly where to turn. That’s how we wound up in the ditch.

LASue on October 26, 2010 at 8:58 PM

Boehner needs to come out with a giant Slurpee that’s all red, except for a little blue at the bottom, then take a humongous pull on it until all the blue is gone, leaving all red.

Then pass out due to brain freeze…

Christien on October 26, 2010 at 9:01 PM

No, somehow in this narrative seems more like a ‘stolen’ car.

orbitalair on October 26, 2010 at 9:04 PM

as Governor Palin tweeted this afternoon:

Classic admittance: nation’s car driven in ditch & “there’s an Obama bumpersticker on it” so says Obama spokesman. Um, that’s been our point

Where is Mitt, chrsite, any other GOP wannabe to hammer Obama admin on this?

Nope noone but Palin……

and then the establishment wonders why she is so popular. she fights the others don’t

unseen on October 26, 2010 at 9:10 PM

Then pass out due to brain freeze…

Christien on October 26, 2010 at 9:01 PM

I lol’d

fossten on October 26, 2010 at 9:10 PM

I’m sure I’m not the first to observe this, but we can all recall what happens when a liberal Dem is in the driver’s seat.

He’s walking away while his passenger(s) drown.

Hyunchback on October 26, 2010 at 9:11 PM

Will the Slurpee have “you betcha!” in big letters on it?

Oh, and in small letters “Hey Katie, read this!

Lefty Heads will explode!

These Slurpee cups and Slurpee’s need to be made and distributed to every GOP election night party!

DSchoen on October 26, 2010 at 8:34 PM

I was planning to lace the the frst wth some Black Seal rum.

katy the mean old lady on October 26, 2010 at 9:19 PM

ROTFL! Only someone who has raised livestock could appreciate that!

Mom & Dad had a 1970 Chevrolet Kingswood Wagon which we (rightly) called the Urban Assault Vehicle. I didn’t have anything nearly as brutally awesome until I bought my Sterling!

turfmann on October 26, 2010 at 8:30 PM

You could probably haul an elephant with that!
I used to truck to the Meadowlands andYonkers. All came back. Too many horror storys though!

katy the mean old lady on October 26, 2010 at 9:25 PM

Boehner couldn’t pull it off. Palin could but wouldn’t, because it’s sophomoric.

disa on October 26, 2010 at 9:50 PM

As tempting as it is to gloat and sip the slurpee and make the jokes we need to take the high road once we win and start keeping the promises we made to fix the economy and bring back the jobs. Show these arrogant elitists that we don’t have time to play their silly games (no “we won” comments, please) and get those who are elected to work doing what they said they were going to do. But gosh the slurpee idea is a good one.

scalleywag on October 26, 2010 at 9:56 PM

I’m actually kinda surprised 7-11 isn’t doing a 25 cent slurpee special on tuesday. They’d sell millions.

lorien1973 on October 26, 2010 at 7:30 PM

I already emailed them. Haven’t heard anything…yet.

txhsmom on October 26, 2010 at 9:57 PM

No, somehow in this narrative seems more like a ‘stolen’ car.

orbitalair on October 26, 2010 at 9:04 PM

A carjacking,in fact.

Hopefully, by Tuesday we’ll know if we’ll be able to call this “Recovery Autumn” and America will finally get her ride back from the clutches of the gang that couldn’t drive straight.

leilani on October 26, 2010 at 10:03 PM

The dems have been driving this clunker for 52 of the past 60 years and have continued to run into the embankment every day… Why is it the republicans, who ran congress for 6 years and BALANCED THE BUDGET under Clinton, Get one last chance to get it right? The dems have screwed up this country so hold THEM accountable for their mistakes.
Democrats spending $5 trillion dollars in just the past 4 years alone makes them unelectable.

dthorny on October 26, 2010 at 10:32 PM

The Dems ran that over financed car in the ditch after trashing it,

Nov. 3rd the Repomen R’s come to claim their damaged property and set about returning it to a finely oiled mean machine!

Hows’ that for a car metaphor OBlahBlah!

dhunter on October 26, 2010 at 10:38 PM

I must have missed a few days somewhere…what the hell is this Slurpee thing all about?

Jaibones on October 26, 2010 at 10:47 PM

Jaibones on October 26, 2010 at 10:47 PM

Part of Obama’s silly narrative about being in the drivers seat and the GOP putting the car in the ditch.

sharrukin on October 26, 2010 at 10:50 PM

Obama doesn’t understand how the “sit in the back” metaphor might be seen in relation to Rosa Parks because he has no personal connection to the black-American experience. Really, he has no emotional connection to America at all.

keebs on October 26, 2010 at 10:51 PM

Never mind…I got it. Let me fix it for you, Barry:

“We’ve been pushing that car, pushing it, pushing it, pushing it,” Obama tells laughing audiences across the country. “The whole time, the Republicans have been standing on the sidelines. They’ve been looking down, fanning themselves, sipping on a Slurpee. Kicking dirt down into the ditch. Kicking dirt in our faces, and pissing on us down in the ditch.”

There. Now the picture emerges.

Somebody get me a Slurpee, I gotta take a pi$$.

Jaibones on October 26, 2010 at 10:52 PM

We can all agree that the Car is in the ditch!

See, the problem with the liberals is that they are trying to pull the car out of the ditch with a donkey.
When in fact they should be using a Mustang with real American ingenuity and know how.

That’s how I see it anyway~

hawkman on October 26, 2010 at 10:52 PM

The Cash for Clunkers pimp needs to be on a couch, badly.

Schadenfreude on October 26, 2010 at 10:53 PM

I think we should all buy Slurpees on Wednesday morning. Wanna play?

Yellowdog12 on October 26, 2010 at 10:57 PM

canopfor on October 26, 2010 at 8:20 PM

Khun Joe on October 26, 2010 at 8:17 PM

Yeah, I know where he’s coming from, and I thought I was tweaking Allah for letting him off the hook. I need to work on my irony I guess.
Meanwhile I don’t believe that Obama has any real empathy for the African American experience. He’s a well-spoken mutt without a pedigree. But he does have a degree, and Biden says he’s clean, but I digress.

Randy

williars on October 27, 2010 at 12:10 AM

I think I’m going to buy stock in Slurpee.

HellCat on October 27, 2010 at 2:44 AM

I’m mainly speechless (laughing, drooling…) at the pathetic mixed messages Gibbs and Obama are offering these days.

Gibbs says, “no we’re just pushing the car out of the ditch,”
while Obama says, “We don’t mind the Republicans joining us. They can come for the ride, but they gotta sit in back.”

“Leadership.” NOT!

Lockstein13 on October 27, 2010 at 6:38 AM

The Republicans can call out from the back, “Are we there yet?”

I saw a car with an Obama bumper sticker on it and one that said, “1-20(or21)-09 End of an Error.” I think it should have said “the beginning of an error.”

Beaglemom on October 27, 2010 at 7:59 AM

When the GOP takes over and the Dem minority leader starts criticising, I’d love it if Boehner would respond with “I though you were told to wait in the car?”

John Deaux on October 27, 2010 at 8:35 AM

Was that an Obama 08 sticker or ’12 sticker on that bumper?

Kissmygrits on October 27, 2010 at 9:29 AM

Most voters wouldn’t get it. Just have him carry a big ol’ Texas-sized gavel. Like the one Pelosi carried through Washington after she shoved ObamaCare down our throats.

Steve Z on October 27, 2010 at 9:44 AM

Wonder if they will let me in the voting place sippin on my slurpee?

UNREPENTANT CONSERVATIVE CAPITOLIST on October 27, 2010 at 2:52 PM