Meg Whitman ad: I know that many of you see this election as an, er, unhappy choice

posted at 5:53 pm on October 25, 2010 by Allahpundit

Desperate times call for desperate measures, and with just eight days to go, I’d say we’re almost in the desperation zone. Even so — I kind of dig this spot. Or at least, I dig the part where she alludes to the “unhappy choice” before making the case why the choice really isn’t so unhappy. After months of cookie-cutter attack ads and drearily cheerful biographical clips, viewers are so saturated that virtually nothing short of Dale Peterson pointing a Winchester at their heads is apt to make them sit up and pay attention anymore. One thing that might, though: An arresting admission against interest like the one at the beginning here. Instantly it makes Whitman seem like a straight shooter who relates to voters. I liked her a little more after watching it. The one thing I don’t get, though, is why she framed the “unhappy choice” the way she did. In a year driven by populism and grinding unemployment and resentment about bailing out bankers, why oh why would you remind people that you’re a “billionaire”? For the love of Hitchens, call yourself a “business person” at least. Sheesh.

Exit question: Is this the “Domino’s pizza ad” of election 2010? It worked for them!

Comments

why oh why would you remind people that you’re a “billionaire”?

People didn’t forget it. She’s acknowledging the 600-pound guerrilla in the room.

amerpundit on October 25, 2010 at 5:56 PM

Mark1971 on October 25, 2010 at 5:56 PM

I saw it on TV. It sure got my attention.

joe_doufu on October 25, 2010 at 5:56 PM

What kind of accent is that? Is that a California accent?

MadisonConservative on October 25, 2010 at 5:57 PM

good ad…but i don’t know if anything can save CA…here’s hoping she wins

r keller on October 25, 2010 at 5:58 PM

I’m ready.

toenail on October 25, 2010 at 5:58 PM

I want Brown to win the race. He’ll finish destroying what’s left of California, and the carnage will make for some nice ads in the 2012 race.

joejm65 on October 25, 2010 at 5:59 PM

Saw this earlier, and I still like it.

pambi on October 25, 2010 at 5:59 PM

I like Meg Whitman…for California.

d1carter on October 25, 2010 at 5:59 PM

Great ad.

blatantblue on October 25, 2010 at 5:59 PM

“Quit pissing your pants and vote!”

ThePrez on October 25, 2010 at 5:59 PM

I am uncertain that I want any GOP candidate to win in a state that will soon collapse in financial and moral ruin.

In my opinion, the authors of that ruin – the democrat party – should captain this Titanic to the bottom.

Rebar on October 25, 2010 at 6:00 PM

The Ben Franlin comparsions weren’t nice.

If she ran a non-RINO campaign it would have been better. But she punted in the beginning of her campaign. She had a hard time answering one straight forward question.

Oil Can on October 25, 2010 at 6:00 PM

I like this ad, too, AP.

Abby Adams on October 25, 2010 at 6:01 PM

A. She shouldn’t have reminded people that she’s a billionaire.

B. If my FM dial is any indication, she’s being swamped by Jerry Brown in radio ads.

C. Fiorina is gonna drag Whitman kicking and screaming towards the finish line. A lot more enthusiasm here for her than any candidate running statewide. I see yard signs and bumper stickers all around LA Co. in heavily Dem areas, and she outnumbers Boxer by a mile. Though, it’s all relative because it’s rare to even find signs here.

D. California GOP may still cleanup in the state election, since anyone else but Whitman is ahead or trailing low single digits. I think at least one pick-up in CA-11, and a few more in state legislature making it even harder for Dems to raise taxes. Though that might not help since voters want to remove the 2/3rds vote on the budget.

Apologetic California on October 25, 2010 at 6:01 PM

Cali has some of the most self-loathing people in the world!! Dummy brown has said he will give benefits to illegals!! State is in the toilet, and you’re going to vote an aging hipster from the 60′s into office?? Was gonna take my kids to Disneyland in Dec, but now going elsewhere!!

WhatsRight on October 25, 2010 at 6:02 PM

joejm65 on October 25, 2010 at 5:59 PM

Well, maybe if you lived here like I do you would have a different perspective.My entire family lives here, including my grand kids, so forgive me if I would rather not sacrifice our lively hoods for some “nice ads in the 2012 race.”

sandee on October 25, 2010 at 6:02 PM

Speaking of great moments in California Ruling Class true confessions

Ed Driscoll on October 25, 2010 at 6:02 PM

Good one.

John the Libertarian on October 25, 2010 at 6:03 PM

Apologetic California on October 25, 2010 at 6:01 PM

There will be only one GOP statewide election winner. Steve Cooley.

Mark1971 on October 25, 2010 at 6:04 PM

Instead of billionaire she should’ve said “whore” using her fingers to make the quote signs.

John the Libertarian on October 25, 2010 at 6:05 PM

joejm65 on October 25, 2010 at 5:59 PM

NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

All the libtards are escaping to Texas, and we don’t need anymore of them here!

stvnscott on October 25, 2010 at 6:06 PM

Now Gawker is after Meg via her son. The ugly implication is that she covered up his rape charge while at Princeton by donating mega bucks to the school. Can she survive this attack?

This summer I was told by a California pol that Whitman has huge dirt on Brown. Then I figured she couldn’t use it after accusing him of mudslinging over her domestic help. This will be an interesting week.

Terrie on October 25, 2010 at 6:07 PM

Speaking of great moments in California Ruling Class true confessions…

Ed Driscoll on October 25, 2010 at 6:02 PM

They should run that as an ad. It’s his own words!

sharrukin on October 25, 2010 at 6:08 PM

I keep praying that the people of California will remove their blinders and see what’s happened to a once great state and who did it to them.

Very good ad.

darwin on October 25, 2010 at 6:09 PM

joejm65 on October 25, 2010 at 5:59 PM

You will have 12% income and sales taxes
De Facto citizenship for illegals.
No E-Verify
Global Warming “Religion” in schools
Massive Business Relocation
Mecha Schools and other ethic based schools

Oil Can on October 25, 2010 at 6:09 PM

Meg is desperate.

But Mitt Romney will ride to the rescue. Not to worry Meg.

technopeasant on October 25, 2010 at 6:11 PM

One couldn’t distinguish between the campaign ads of this cycle and those that preceded it for the two decades that both parties sold this once great state down the crapper.

Whitman came across as being beholden to and a victim of the style that the little socialist employed from the beginning – nothing new, nothing fresh – and certainly nothing bold.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it just one last time – we were californicated when that idiot Austrian got elected versus McClintock. The slide into hell was slowed a bit but when body builder boy bent over and grabbed his ankles for the unions, the end result became inevitable.

oldfiveanddimer on October 25, 2010 at 6:11 PM

California is one of those few states with relatively few ads. So it hasn’t been anything like what you have to endure if living in a battle ground state.

bayam on October 25, 2010 at 6:15 PM

Excellent ad. Frankly, CA is being spoiled with good ads. Allah won’t post them, but on RCP, Jerry Brown has a couple of good hitting ads. And Fiorina’s ads are cutting and professional. Now is the time to leave everything on the field.

TimTebowSavesAmerica on October 25, 2010 at 6:16 PM

Hope it works.

However, brutal honesty doesn’t seem to register with some people since they’ve been spoon fed lies and gimmes.

tru2tx on October 25, 2010 at 6:16 PM

No where near the same thing.

Pizza is a lot like sex, when it’s good, it’s good.
And when it’s bad, it’s still pretty good.

I don’t think Whitman is having a Candidate moment, but clarity.
Unlike Brown’s admission of being clueless.

Kini on October 25, 2010 at 6:17 PM

Ed Driscoll on October 25, 2010 at 6:02 PM

That should definitely get more play!

Abby Adams on October 25, 2010 at 6:17 PM

“Quit pissing your pants and vote!”

ThePrez on October 25, 2010 at 5:59 PM

What he said. I thought it was a great ad!

Chewy the Lab on October 25, 2010 at 6:19 PM

Wow. Now that’s a classy political ad!

nametaken on October 25, 2010 at 6:21 PM

CA is being spoiled with good ads.

TimTebowSavesAmerica on October 25, 2010 at 6:16 PM

Sure, but how can any ad ever top Demon Sheep?

juliesa on October 25, 2010 at 6:22 PM

“California is one of those few states with relatively few ads.”

Maybe yes, maybe no…but my mailbox will surely be glad when this election is over!

enginemike on October 25, 2010 at 6:22 PM

TimTebowSavesAmerica on October 25, 2010 at 6:16 PM

There is an anti-Whitman ad that shows her and Schwarzenegger using identical language on political issues. Ugh. I will still vote for her because I don’t have a decent choice, but that ad plays to my fears about Whitman.

Terrie on October 25, 2010 at 6:23 PM

They’re playing the heck outta’ this ad. I must’ve seen it two or three times during the Sharks game this weekend… and i skip most of the commercials with my DVR.

Rude on October 25, 2010 at 6:25 PM

As a Californian, I’m feeling bipolar these days. If Brown wins and Prop 23 fails it will seriously mean foreclosure coupled with possible loss of both household jobs and therefor health insurance. If we can win Prop 23 and lose on the Governor race, we might still be ok. Whitman has confirmed she’ll suspend AB 32 one year, so if she wins and Prop 23 fails, we might still be ok. This is a good ad, but who knows how many phony voters are out here? Could be thousands. The stakes are incredibly high for families on the edge. Since we’re already broke all we can do is call, post signs, post on the interwebs and generally annoy those who don’t have to give a damn.

I’ll be praying.

NTWR on October 25, 2010 at 6:26 PM

I thought it was a great ad… better than almost all I have seen…. it is simple, straight forward and leaves you with a choice…
vote for the dolt Brown and more of the same or vote for Whitman and get California going again.
I like it. A lot. Great ad for final days…. distills all the other stuff down to simplicity.

PhilipJames on October 25, 2010 at 6:26 PM

SCREW your analysis, Alahpundit.

Whitman did it because SHE understands politics as she understands business: YOU don’t.

God Bless Whitman.

This ad is rough, tough and ready for election.

Lockstein13 on October 25, 2010 at 6:26 PM

Terrie on October 25, 2010 at 6:23 PM

That ad only works only if you think what Arnold was saying is not correct. Basically Brown reiterates how out of touch he is by making cutting spending and job creation a bad word.

Apologetic California on October 25, 2010 at 6:28 PM

Goodbye beautiful California……there will be no TEANAMI for you, the abyss of Federal control after the bankruptcy awaits you.

Too my friends and family in Cali I say…..leave now.

PappyD61 on October 25, 2010 at 6:31 PM

Not a threadjack attempt, but I saw an interesting point over at Reason’s H&R earlier today – although it’s fairly late in the game, it was speculated that Whitman could have this race by double digits if she’d broken from the pack and endorsed Prop 19. Rational being that there wasn’t enough of a hard core SoCon presence in Cali to sink her for doing it, and it would be enough of a draw from the independent/wavering Dem ranks since Brown has also come out opposing, with some less than stellar reasoning for his position.

Although he hasn’t gotten much play around here, it seems to be working, to a point, for John Dennis, Pelosi’s “R” opponent – who looks positioned to give her at least the most competetive race she’s ever faced in deep blue San Fran.

Let the howling begin. . .

Wind Rider on October 25, 2010 at 6:34 PM

juliesa on October 25, 2010 at 6:22 PM

And the one with the blimp! Our 2012 nominee has no excuse for crappy ads–he/she can hire the CA people or Rubio’s people.

Terrie on October 25, 2010 at 6:23 PM

That one was quite good. There’s one today where Whitman says CA 30 years ago was good, and you know who was gov 30 years ago. Whatever you want to say about Brown, his ad people aren’t dumb.

TimTebowSavesAmerica on October 25, 2010 at 6:35 PM

They also changed what was actually in the pizza, not just the, er, “messaging.”

calbear on October 25, 2010 at 6:35 PM

If Brown wins, my family has agreed that we are moving out! The governorship, with its veto power, is the ONLY thing standing in the way of the near 2/3 democrat controlled legislature! If it goes to Brown, he will sign every piece of legislation placed in front of him. The opposition party will hold zero power. The state will crumble soooo fast, that I’m worried that we won’t be able to relocate in time.

If Brown wins, I predict a mass exodus of the middle income family.

JeffVader on October 25, 2010 at 6:36 PM

Sorry kids. This kind of apologetic horse manure just won’t cut it.

This is the kind of Bushite Romneybot crap that loses elections for Republicans.

“Oh, I”m sorry I’m a plutocrat capitalist! I’m sorry that Jerry is right about me! I’m sorry I’m a Republican! And don’t worry, I have nothing to do with that crazy Alaskan woman that Jerry and all the Right Thinking People in the News Media are so upset about!”

Meg Whitman can go pound sand. One Sarah Palin is worth Ten Thousand Meg Whitmans.

Meg Whitman is yet another member of the Ruling Class who looks at the Republican Party as a Panamanian Flag of Convenience.

I have written this before here and I will write it here again: Whitman’s campaign hit the shoals when she told Movement conservatives to take a hike in the debate with Moonbeam by dissing Palin in that answer to Tom Brokaw.

You’ll notice that Fiorina didn’t make that mistake. She’s emphatically emphasized Palin’s support for her every time she’s been asked. That tells the Movement people that Carly appreciates their support and won’t turn into a RINOtard once she gets to Washington.

Meg? Eh, not so much.

Brown will beat Meg by four points. Carly will win by the hair of the last dog. People will wonder why. It will be Movement people going into the voting booths and refusing to vote for Meg. And it’s a sad thing, because she would probably be a decent governor.

You heard it here first.

victor82 on October 25, 2010 at 6:36 PM

Hey Meg make a commercial outta this!

Iblis on October 25, 2010 at 6:37 PM

Apologetic California on October 25, 2010 at 6:01 PM

I am expecting another late hit from Boxer against Fiorina like the disgraceful ambush of her 1992 opponent, Bruce Herschensohn, by Democrat dirty trickster Bob Mulholland. If you Google Mulholland, you will find that he is leaving anti-Fiorina comments on multiple news and information sites.

Terrie on October 25, 2010 at 6:38 PM

What a sad state of affairs.

I was born in California. I loved my home state. Now it’s run by a gang of looters. It’s like the middle chapters of Atlas Shrugged come to life.

To think that the people of that state could be compelled to send California’s answer to Ellsworth Toohey, Jerry Brown, back to Sacramento!

That would be the signal for everyone, all the Producers, all the Men of the Mind, to pack up and hit the road.

Galt’s Gulch awaits!

victor82 on October 25, 2010 at 6:42 PM

Terrie on October 25, 2010 at 6:38 PM

Whatever it is, it’s getting way late for it to impact. About a 1.5 million CA have already voted, about a third of the expected turnout. Plus, I’m usually tuned to Demo BS, and I haven’t heard anything bad that would sink Fiorina.

Apologetic California on October 25, 2010 at 6:44 PM

I already voted for Meg!!

Khun Joe on October 25, 2010 at 6:44 PM

Pretty soon our country will have about 40 states not 50

tomas on October 25, 2010 at 6:45 PM

Because the DNC has made sure that everyone knows that she’s a billionaire and they’re accusing her of working for herself and other billionaires.

El_Terrible on October 25, 2010 at 6:48 PM

Pretty soon our country will have about 40 states not 50

tomas on October 25, 2010 at 6:45 PM

Hmmmmm, are you suggesting a buy-out?

Kini on October 25, 2010 at 6:49 PM

I already voted for Meg!!

Khun Joe on October 25, 2010 at 6:44 PM

I’m mailing my ballot tonight.

El_Terrible on October 25, 2010 at 6:50 PM

Very good ad.

darwin on October 25, 2010 at 6:09 PM

I don’t think it’s going to happen. As our nation’s premiere welfare/union state, those blinders they need to remove are made of tax-payer dollars. People living on the government dole are going to do everything they can to make sure the bucks keep coming.

Rod on October 25, 2010 at 6:50 PM

I wish she had put more emphasis on the fact that Jerry Brown doesn’t support Prop 13. If we ever lose that protection against higher property taxes a lot more people will be in danger of losing their homes. Our property taxes would at least double.

Rose on October 25, 2010 at 6:55 PM

Rose on October 25, 2010 at 6:55 PM

But she didn’t, did she?

Meg Whitman isn’t playing to win, she’s playing Not to Lose.

Like all RINO’s, they want to be liked more than they want to win.

So she will lose.

Biggest waste of 150 million dollars in human history.

victor82 on October 25, 2010 at 7:00 PM

Rod on October 25, 2010 at 6:50 PM

What destroyed my hope for this election cycle was not approving the repeal of the global warming law. That is THE key issue. Nothing else has as big as impact to business as this law. If law didn’t wake up people in this state, then I don’t know what will.

More businesses will leave and this will be come a state where at the population really doesn’t wait to be a part of the US. I think it’s ongoing a evolution to a separate country, 20-30 years? I’m just guess here.

Oil Can on October 25, 2010 at 7:02 PM

If Brown wins, I predict a mass exodus of the middle income family.

JeffVader on October 25, 2010 at 6:36 PM

Bet money on that and you might not have to move! I’m looking for a state with low/no income tax, personal freedom, a small business friendly atmosphere, surf and wine grapes or other large fruit crops. That’s all my family needs to succeed but it’s hard to find!

NTWR on October 25, 2010 at 7:03 PM

Apologetic California on October 25, 2010 at 6:44 PM

I haven’t heard anything about Fiorina, either, whereas I heard rumors about Whitman’s sons since before the primary. The MSM have not covered the rumors so far and seemed to consider them off-limits, but I’m wondering if that will change this week with the higher profile Gawker story.

Terrie on October 25, 2010 at 7:03 PM

I want Fiorina to win more badly than Whitman. I’m hoping that Fiorina wins for the good of the country, but I am truly terrified of what’s going to happen to California if Whitman does not win.

If Jerry Brown wins, it would be like giving Obama 65 votes in the Senate, and 300 votes in the House. There is no speed bump. There is no check on power at all.

El_Terrible on October 25, 2010 at 7:06 PM

The problem here in California is there are almost as many residents dependent on government support as there are productive residents paying taxes. That is how a legislature can bankrupt a state, pretend it hasn’t and remain in power. If businesses continue to flee, we will reach the tipping point.

Terrie on October 25, 2010 at 7:11 PM

Terrie on October 25, 2010 at 7:03 PM

I believe I’ve read it on SFgate a year ago. It’s an old story that has ZERO believability.

Apologetic California on October 25, 2010 at 7:12 PM

Apparently, you haven’t seen Brown’s “Echo” ad.

With Arnold’s approval rating currently hovering around the 20% mark, it’s pretty darn effective.

The Ugly American on October 25, 2010 at 7:12 PM

If Brown wins, I predict a mass exodus of the middle income family.
JeffVader on October 25, 2010 at 6:36 PM

I completely agree there will be a mass exodus from California if Jerry Brown wins the race for Governor.

But the exodus will be broader than just middle income families.

I have had many, many conversations with friends of all income levels and marital status types about where we should all move, if Jerry Brown wins.

Several will head for Texas, others to the East Coast, and many are exploring international options.

Vote for Meg Whitman for Governor!

Otherwise, last one out of California, turn off the solar panels.

wren on October 25, 2010 at 7:12 PM

I’ll vote for her out of loyalty, but she did turn out to be a disappointing candidate. I originally liked her better than Carly, but Carly turned out to be tougher and smarter, at least politically speaking. A shame.

Shotgun Messiah on October 25, 2010 at 7:16 PM

I like it. It’s an honest (sounding) to the point ad. I have no problem with her being on the Forbes 400. If anything I think that makes her better. Yep I said it!

The Expert Knows

HotAirExpert on October 25, 2010 at 7:23 PM

The political reality is that the next California governor will inherit empty coffers and imminent financial collapse. Even Brown would have to make large spending cuts during the first year. Financial analysts are looking to the May 2011 budget revise for the really bad news. A savvy politician would try to do all the hard, unpopular work early in their term. The question about Brown is whether he is even capable of creating a business-friendly environment after spending cuts are made.

Terrie on October 25, 2010 at 7:24 PM

Meg or Jerry…

… we are already fuc%ed.

By the way, I have already taken steps to ensure my prosperity regardless who wins…

… Stop by and say “Hi” if you are ever in town.

Seven Percent Solution on October 25, 2010 at 7:26 PM

A. She shouldn’t have reminded people that she’s a billionaire.

Not without mentioning in the same sentence that the unions will make Jerry Brown a billionare.

Rovin on October 25, 2010 at 7:26 PM

Apologetic California on October 25, 2010 at 7:12 PM

Two local pro-Whitman LA radio talk show hosts were lamenting that this Gawker story will be the final nail in Whitman’s coffin. The only way that happens is if the MSM cover it.

Terrie on October 25, 2010 at 7:28 PM

Terrie on October 25, 2010 at 6:23 PM

I saw that ad today too and grimaced in pain. Hold my nose and vote whitman.

jbh45 on October 25, 2010 at 7:28 PM

What kind of accent is that? Is that a California accent?
MadisonConservative on October 25, 2010 at 5:57 PM

I lived there for 35 years and, yes, Meg sounds like almost every English speaking native Californian I ever met…absent valley girls, of course

marybel on October 25, 2010 at 7:42 PM

If Meg wants to win this she has to confirm her support for our second amendment and generally run to the right of Jerry Brown.

Whitman has so far, allowed Brown to flank her.

She’s articulate, she has the bucks, she can pull this out, she has to be the genuine Conservative, Reagan style.

Speakup on October 25, 2010 at 7:53 PM

… Stop by and say “Hi” if you are ever in town.

Seven Percent Solution on October 25, 2010 at 7:26 PM

HA HA HA! Where will you be operating? That’s a great idea but we have to space ourselves out so as to not step on each others toes- just like all the panhandlers around town have specific stop lights they work.

NTWR on October 25, 2010 at 7:58 PM

What Gawker story?

What have the Dems gone and dug up now? Is Meg a lesbian or something?

Jesus. The state that gave us Ronaldus Magnus is sliding into the freaking Pacific.

You know what? If California is going to return Jerry Brown to the Governor’s mansion, then the state might as well be governed by this guy!

victor82 on October 25, 2010 at 7:58 PM

It’s not that the choice is bad… It’s just that it won’t make a difference.

lexhamfox on October 25, 2010 at 8:11 PM

Now is the time to leave everything on the field.
TimTebowSavesAmerica on October 25, 2010 at 6:16 PM

Except that won’t happen in California. Unfortunately, Whitman hobbled her campaign by hiring the same people that ran Gov. Arnold’s campaign. “Establishment” Republicans in CA really do not want change, and reflect that off the record by admitting more fear of losing power through change than with enduring the status quo. The Whitman campaign even uses the Governator’s same lines in some of the ads. Brown will likely win – he’s telling Cali what they want to hear: Someone else will pay for their lifestyles because that’s only fair. Taxes go up because it’s someone else paying. If the State budget has a huge gap, then the Fed’s will bail out Calilfornia.

Boxer remains mostly within the margin of error with Fiorina. Thus, the “vagaries” of vote counting will result in 6 more years of Senator Ma’am.

The really bad news is that California has been an example of what the rest of the country will look like in 5 to 10 years since the end of WWII.

Perfesser on October 25, 2010 at 8:30 PM

I wouldn’t let the quality of one of my last ads be open for wide debate. Especially if I was personally paying for it.

TheBigOldDog on October 25, 2010 at 8:41 PM

Speakup on October 25, 2010 at 7:53 PM

I’ve come to the sad conclusion so few of them are genuine Conservatives. That’s why it’s hard for them to act like they are. They are at best, conservative to moderate Democrats.

TheBigOldDog on October 25, 2010 at 8:44 PM

Way to go, NutMeg. Your $150M vanity campaign has consigned CA to the pits of hell. The State GOP were vapid fools and thought your purse could outweigh your massive shortcomings as a candidate, playing Ahnold Redux instead of fielding a REAL candidate.
Now we’re going to get Blue Moon, a repeat of Jerry Brown and all the psychotic liberal nonsense he believes in, rubberstamping the worst bills the marxist state legislature can turn out (at the rat of 1200 bills/yr.
CA is heading for utter collapse. Everythign our state gov does is unsustainable, in every regard. Pensions, union wages, welfare programs, marxism in the classroom, eco-marxist warfare against capitalism. This state will be a shattered ruin in less than a year. Detroit writ large.

rayra on October 25, 2010 at 8:47 PM

SCREW your analysis, Alahpundit.

God Bless Whitman.

This ad is rough, tough and ready for election.

Lockstein13 on October 25, 2010 at 6:26 PM

Umm, angry Whitman supporter: Cool off and put a(nother) sign in your lawn. Most sane people would prefer her to Brown. Including AP.

AshleyTKing on October 25, 2010 at 9:12 PM

I dunno, people. Arnold couldn’t work with the Dem legislature.

I think that’s in the back of people’s minds.

AnninCA on October 25, 2010 at 10:07 PM

Terrie on October 25, 2010 at 6:23 PM

Another 4 years of Ahnold in a skirt would still be better than Jerry Brown.

I don’t want a governor who “can work with” the CA legislature. I want a governor who is a brake on the legislature. The statehouse in Sacramento is completely captured by safe-seat Democrats with an unregenerate 1970s tax-the-people-they-aren’t-taxed-enough-and-while-we’re-at-it-make’em-take-shorter-showers mentality, and the last thing we need is anyone “working with” it. It needs to be boiled in oil and thrown into the Pacific with a boulder tied to it.

No governor will be able to “save” California until the state districts are redrawn and half the Democrats in Sacramento are relieved of their entrenched seats. But Whitman could well use the veto pen at least as often as Ahnold has. Nothing could make me fail to vote for her in the hope of fending off another Jerry Brown term. Four more years from him and we’ll all be out on the street, homeless and being stomped and spit on by the welfare queens in purple T-shirts.

J.E. Dyer on October 25, 2010 at 10:51 PM

rayra on October 25, 2010 at 8:47 PM

I share your frustration, but Steve Cooley was no prize, either. I wish McClintock had run again. With all the buyer’s remorse over Ahnuld, I think McClintock could have beaten Brown.

Terrie on October 26, 2010 at 12:23 AM

I got a welcome update from my in-laws, who are from Mexico and live in Los Angeles. I was the first Republican they ever really knew and we have had some interesting discussions over the years. Great news — they still support Whitman and Fiorina.

Terrie on October 26, 2010 at 12:31 AM

Just cuz …

Mike Ditka (major Tea Party supporter) on Fox&Friends, moments ago :
‘If they (TPartiers) don’t show up at the polls they’re merely phonies’

Couldn’t have said it better.

pambi on October 26, 2010 at 8:42 AM

joejm65 on October 25, 2010 at 5:59 PM

..you realize that Brown won’t be up for re-election until 2014, don’t you? So your little fantasy about having him drive California over the cliff is just for the sake of unseating Obama and the clowns he’s up for re-election with in two years?

Mightn’t it be better working towards electing a GOP governor (and a GOP senator and a few GOP reps) now and have a much more favorably climate for 2012?

..ooh, and if the $140 millions of her own personal money she plowed into this campaign IN AID OF HERSELF, FIORINA, VAN TRAN, AND THE FORMERLY HAPLESS CAL GOP, then I guess we can count on you and your buds coming out here and volunteering with the phone banks and walking the precincts to overcome the strong unions’ opposition.

The War Planner on October 26, 2010 at 11:04 AM

I dunno, people. Arnold couldn’t work with the Dem legislature.

I think that’s in the back of people’s minds.

AnninCA on October 25, 2010 at 10:07 PM

..c’mon, Ann, Arnold was de-nutted after his four propositions fell to tha fusillade of union bullets way back when. Since then, he’s been singing falsetto and playing handmaiden to those clowns.

The War Planner on October 26, 2010 at 11:13 AM

thought the ad was so good it made me log in and comment for the first time in over 2 years

pmoshields on October 26, 2010 at 12:54 PM

What kind of accent is that? Is that a California accent?

Hell, no. That’s just the way normal people talk (full disclosure: native Californio); the rest of yez talk funny.

This was a great ad. And while I haven’t been following the campaign itself closely (I made up my mind the day I heard Meg frickin’ Whitman was running for governor: “we should be so lucky” I thought …though once again, it seems the stupid will take the post in Cali’, if the polls are right …I just cannot believe that even the unusual-to-the-n’th-degree retarded Democrats of the state are even thinking about pulling the lever for Hizzoner: jeezus, people …sigh, maybe it’s not a bad thing that little farm in the country deal fell through for me recently, after all), but she’s more graciously human in this then her usual robotic delivery …if only the poor darlin’ had as much charm as she does boardroom skills.

Gawd, though: I love the thought of her running the state …like the eBay challenge, with more upside potential …but I wish she’d have taken a few acting lessons first.

…this was good though.

Frickin’ Moonbeam Brown. WTF will it take to open the idiot’s eyes in this state.

…if I wasn’t so close to retirement, I’d just leave.

davisbr on October 26, 2010 at 2:52 PM