Jimmy Carter: Reagan only won in 1980 because of the third-party candidate

posted at 8:02 pm on October 25, 2010 by Allahpundit

He’s making a two-step argument here, I think, part of it based on pure conjecture. Step one: If not for Teddy Kennedy’s bitter primary challenge (which of course wasn’t a third-party candidacy), the Democratic Party would have been united for the general election. Instead, untold numbers stayed home, crippling Carter. Step two: If not for John Anderson running as an independent, Carter would have cleaned up among the Anderson base and swept to victory. There’s no way to flatly disprove him on step one since we can’t know how many Teddy fans boycotted the general, but on step two, have a look-see at this recap of the 1980 election. Reagan crushed Carter in the electoral college, 489/49; even if you cede every last Anderson vote to Carter, Reagan still would have won a clear majority of the popular vote with a margin close to three million. Among the individual states, a quickie glance at the numbers reveals that, in states taken by Reagan, Anderson won enough votes to have possibly influenced the outcome in Arkansas, Delaware, Illinois, Kentucky, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, New York, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Vermont, and Wisconsin. That is to say, if all of Anderson’s voters in those states had broken for Carter, Carter would have won the states. (Anderson was, in fact, a liberal Republican who’d competed in the GOP primary, so no doubt plenty of his supporters would have broken for Reagan over Carter if forced to choose. But let’s keep this hypothetical.) It looks to me like all of those states combined would have given Carter another 170 or so electoral votes — meaning Reagan still would have crushed him by 100 EVs and been elected president comfortably. In which case … what is this guy talking about?

One thing he is right about, though: Why, per today’s New York magazine extravaganza on Palin’s path to the White House, would Mike Bloomberg ever consider running for president? He’d spend a billion dollars or more and would need a clear majority of 270 electoral votes to win, an utter impossibility with the left- and right-wing bases energized for Obama and Sarahcuda. If no candidate won 270 outright, the House of Representatives — which will almost certainly be controlled by the GOP, wink — would decide things, meaning Palin would win. Why on earth would a Democrat in independent’s clothing like Bloomy want to spend a 10-digit sum from his personal fortune to elect the major party candidate with whom he has the least in common politically? Does not compute. Click the image to watch.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

So this is Al Gore in twenty years? Whining about losing an election? He’s already a lunatic so think how much more howling crazy he’ll be in 2030!

sgtstogie on October 26, 2010 at 12:39 PM

He must have gotten into the same stuff that Reid and Pelosi have been drinking!

pgrossjr on October 26, 2010 at 12:39 PM

Carter is still as boneheaded as he ever was. I didn’t like him then, and I don’t like him now.

The only good thing I can say about him is he kept liberal democrats out of the whitehouse for the next 30 years by poisoning the well with his ideocracy.

saiga on October 26, 2010 at 1:05 PM

Someone please tell me this bad penny has one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel…he needs to Just. Go. Away. already!

Dark-Star on October 26, 2010 at 2:17 PM

Man, I can’t believe we you all elected this idiot all over again in 2008.

Caiwyn on October 25, 2010 at 10:39 PM

I didn’t vote for him.
I suspect many who did were: not legal residents of their district, were illegal aliens, were dead,never existed as human beings.
And then there are the real voters who voted for BO-the insane, delusionary, down right stupid, dependent, retarded, and there may be some who were actually forced at gun point for all I know.

Badger40 on October 26, 2010 at 2:21 PM

Senile.

davisbr on October 26, 2010 at 2:21 PM

So this is Al Gore Obama in twenty years? Whining about losing an election? He’s already a lunatic so think how much more howling crazy he’ll be in 203012!

sgtstogie on October 26, 2010 at 12:39 PM

I’m ever optimistic.

Badger40 on October 26, 2010 at 2:23 PM

A very simple analysis based on converting electoral college votes with the popular vote (by state) and assuming that Jimmy Carter got ALL of the Indpendent votes only gives him an additional 156 EC votes. Not enough to win.

You lost badly, Mr. Carter. Man up, and own your defeat. Whining makes you look less presidential.

Bigurn on October 26, 2010 at 2:49 PM

to answer your question, i guess he’s just that rich. billion dollars is chump change to him (much like to obama).

anna on October 26, 2010 at 2:59 PM

Don’t go away mad, Jimmah. Just go away.

Laura in Maryland on October 26, 2010 at 3:19 PM

I cast my first vote for Anderson. (Got talked into it). The one thing I was absolutely certain I would not do is vote for Jimmy Carter. It was YOU Jimmy! I voted for a third party BECAUSE OF YOU.

SarahW on October 26, 2010 at 4:17 PM

The wonder to me is how he ever managed to ascend as high as governor, much less president.

Edouard on October 26, 2010 at 12:36 PM

Dunno about Governor, but

Vietnam + Nixon + Watergate = POTUS Carter in ’76

The country was more than ready to be bamboozled by the down-home peanut farmer dipstick version of Hope’n’Change™

infidel4life on October 26, 2010 at 4:25 PM

Jimmah looks like an old Howdy Doody in the photo.

chickasaw42 on October 26, 2010 at 4:53 PM

in heaven reagan is waiting for jimmy in the squared circle. reagan by tko in the first round.

BHO Jonestown on October 26, 2010 at 5:46 PM

Jimmah is getting loopier and loopier.

The Brits have to live with Prince Charles and we have Prince Jimmah. I’d rather have Charles, actually. Jimmah has done real harm to a lot of people in his life.

Harry Schell on October 26, 2010 at 6:16 PM

Can someone get grandpa his meds?

mmcnamer1 on October 26, 2010 at 6:45 PM

He’s like a toenail fungus on the foot of liberty. He just won’t go away.

ronsfi on October 26, 2010 at 7:06 PM

Thaaat’s Right, Jimbo. It Wasn’t Tingles Matthews, ‘Would ya’ like some Malaise on Your Crap Sammich America’ – Speech?
And it Wasn’t Your, Turn Down Your Thermostat!, Fireside Sweater Chat w/America Speech.
And it Wasn’t our 20% mortgage interest rates, or our Gas Lines, or The Misery Index.
And it Wasn’t 444 Days of an Iranian Hostage Crisis, or 4/24/80 and the Failed Operation Eagle Claw Rescue Mission either, which just so happened to Correspond w/my 15th Birthday, that broke Camel’s Back for Me Or My Parents!

No. It was John Anderson, who I had to be Reminded Of in the last couple of days (Hey! That’s Right! That Anderson dude Also Ran for President in 80′!).
Yes, He’s the one who has had Me voting Republican since 84! So you’re correct Again, Jimmy. It’s been John Anderson all Along! John Anderson, That Country singer or Politican guy. Whatever. Yeah, That’s him. It hasn’t been You, You Killer Rabbit-Fearing MORON! Nope. As You, were The Greatest! yeah, We Really “hearted” You!

Teddy on October 26, 2010 at 7:30 PM

It’s pretty obvious that Carter is suffering from some form of senility or age-related dementia. What we should be doing is protecting the public from the effects of this by screening all public officials and disallowing any of those affected from influencing public policy.

mad scientist on October 26, 2010 at 7:44 PM

Carter only lost because there was an opponent.

Wade on October 26, 2010 at 7:54 PM

Actually, if only Carter wasn’t such a poor president people won’t have come out of the wood-work to run against him. The truth is that when you have a weak president people will start to figure it’s now or never as far as their chance at the presidency. It’s all his own fault. Sorry Jimmie.

Fred 2 on October 26, 2010 at 9:28 PM

Teddy on October 26, 2010 at 7:30 PM

I should go to sleep but I’m laughing too hard.

HellCat on October 27, 2010 at 2:21 AM

Oh Jimmy, please . . . stick it in your ear or the orifice of your choice and please shut up.

rplat on October 27, 2010 at 7:22 AM

I really think that Carter is slowly losing grasp of his faculties. Roslyn might need to consider a nursing home for him.

mizflame98 on October 27, 2010 at 8:03 AM

Hey Jimmy, go back to building cheap housing that falls apart the following week.

Jimmah is obviously confused with The Matrix movies, “Mr Annnnderrrson”, Keanu Reaves character. Must be delusions from the attack by the killer wabbit.

dthorny on October 27, 2010 at 8:03 AM

Sadly, my first vote was for this fool. I learned my lesson and NEVER voted for democrats since.

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, aint gonna happen.

Don’t you have a toddler to discuss global warming with or somethin?

dthorny on October 27, 2010 at 8:08 AM

It’s beyond me why anyone has Carter on their programs. Wonder sometimes if it’s a kind of exploitation, setting him up and encouraging him to say something stupid.

jeanie on October 27, 2010 at 8:36 AM

I’m surprised he didn’t blame his loss on “the Jews”.

Skipper50 on October 27, 2010 at 9:37 AM

AP,

Haven’t we had ENOUGH of jimmah’s picture being displayed, or are you trying to get the hit-count up?

Please, I had enough of this buffoon when occupied the WH, and cringe every time I am exposed to his face.

belad on October 27, 2010 at 9:59 AM

Teddy on October 26, 2010 at 7:30 PM

You forgot 13% inflation.

jdkchem on October 28, 2010 at 12:21 AM

jeanie on October 27, 2010 at 8:36 AM

Somebody has to go on msnbc.

jdkchem on October 28, 2010 at 12:22 AM